CNN producer: Iranian students say they’re doomed if Obama accepts the election

posted at 9:14 pm on June 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

Much depends on the meaning of “accepts,” though, doesn’t it? I’m sure we’ll get some patented Hopenchange drivel tomorrow about “grave concerns,” etc, but if Iran’s kids are expecting The One to walk away from nuke negotiations in protest of the coup, they’re kidding themselves. For one thing, that’s something Bush would do, and of course Bush was never, evah right. For another, if Obama walks away then he’s essentially betting all his chips on a full-blown counterrevolution to erupt and topple the regime. If it doesn’t, or if it’s put down a la Tiananmen Square, Khamenei et al. will be in no mood to forgive and forget. Which means it’s either war to take out Iran’s nuke infrastructure or learn to stop worrying and love the Iranian bomb. Israelis are learning already!

What if Obama did walk away, though? There’s actually another possibility here: Western leaders protest the result by ending negotiations and refusing to recognize Ahmadinejad as president, which in turn encourages protesters to keep up their agitation for several more months. Paralyzed and afraid of being overthrown, the regime becomes so desperate that it agrees to give up the nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of all sanctions and renewed diplomatic ties with the U.S. in hopes that the economic turnaround produced by the influx of foreign capital will placate the people. The dilemma for The One here is that he campaigned on the moronic assumption that Iran might conceivably be willing to make a deal on nukes if we just talked nice to them or sweetened our offer a bit. Now comes the moment of truth: Does he really believe that? Does he honestly believe, after years of stonewalling, with the country maybe a year away from being able to build a bomb, that they’re going to throw in the towel now? If not, then walk away. There’s no downside and potentially a tremendous upside if the regime falls or a grateful Mousavi ends up being installed as president. And needless to say, from a moral standpoint, he’d be on the side of the angels. Conflict with the regime is inevitable; if the Iranian public’s willing to fight our battle for us, let’s support them with all we’ve got. As Hitchens eloquently puts it, “Fascism at home sooner or later means fascism abroad. Face it now or fight it later.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If when Obama sides with tyrants. Then G-d help us all.

Lance Murdock on June 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM

God help us indeed. Because I don’t think Obama will do anything other than call for more dialogue and/or restraint. Back when Russia invaded Georgia, all he did was the standard boilerplate “restraint” and “dialogue.” He’ll do it again. He will do nothing while the Iranian people die.
Oh, how I hate him.

TheQuestion on June 15, 2009 at 12:47 AM

In response to a question of what the Iranian people want the U.S. and American people to do, his response was as follows:

The most essential need of young Iranians is to be recognized by US government. They need them not to accept the results and do not talk to A.N government as an official, approved one. They need help by sending true information. All the medias are under arrest or close control. Help them have the information.

They only try to show the fraud to the world. Help them please. You can not imagine the level of brutality we saw these two awful days.

This is why Obama can’t recognize the students his arrogance and delusional foreign policy of “engagement” is more important.

elduende on June 15, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Bush Lies, People Die

Obama Speaks, Heads Break

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Why does this and the N.K. Kim John (mentally) Il scare the crap out of me?

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Obama’s Bay of Pigs.

Kennedy cut out and left those men to die on the beaches. Obama cuts out and leaves those men and women to die in the wadis.

Look, I’m not saying that the opposition is so grand. Sure it is still Islamist, but what do you want? Will supporting them buy Israel, and us, six more months? A year? Two? We need to seize every opportunity to delay the nutjob mullahs from getting the bomb. Barry and the Crew have squandered that and I for one will be one of the first to stand up on my little soap box and point a finger when Tel Aviv, or Times Square, melts. You bought it, Dems, you own it.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Appease Iran?
O, yes we can!

But Iranian liberty?
You gotta be kiddin’ me.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 12:54 AM

This country is supposed to be a beacon (corny word but I’ll use it anyway) for freedom around the world.

People rise up asking, pleading, demading help from this country precisely when things like this happen.

This is HOW change happens. People’s eyes are watching what Obama says and does, they aren’t cynical about him around the world yet. If he doesn’t act BOLDLY the world will sour on him very quickly.

This moment right now is a moment of truth.
Most of us here at HA think we know what Obama will do, but millions of people out there in the Mid East and Iran aren’t so harden by cynicism yet.
What an opportunity for Obama to make good on Hope and Change.

Come on, man….

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM

What an opportunity for Obama to make good on Hope and Change.

Come on, man….

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM

And how would you suggest he make good on Hope and Change?

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Sounds like a Venezuelan Chavez supporter These leftists are beyond the pale. Good grief.

elduende on June 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Poor Obama has to deal with another “distraction” when all he really wants to do is destroy the economy of the US and spread what’s left of our wealth around.

val647 on June 15, 2009 at 1:02 AM

The left idea of “let them fend for themselves” smacks in reality at 100 MPH when you read and see these protests.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM

He was last seen Friday afternoon all but taking credit for the election of Moussavi and its been over 48 hours and he’s not even shown his face let alone issue a simple statement addressing the students.

What do you think is going to happen? His Iran policy is now in tatters thanks to the coup do you think he’ll take the political damage at home for reversing course on his policy or do you think he’ll be a real man and support the students asking for his help.

He’s a worm. He’ll double down on his failed policy even if it means selling the students out.

elduende on June 15, 2009 at 1:04 AM

I want him to show some BALLS.
His weakness is disgusting to me when it comes to this particular issue.

I don’t expect him to do anything beyond a tepid statement of support for the Iraninans; but I hope I’m wrong.

On the cynicism scale I’m a 7 not a 10 yet.
But this situation is exactly what the POTUS is for.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:08 AM

I don’t believe he will even offer a tepid statement. He will bash Bibi and spend another trillion

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Bay of pigs is a disturbingly good analogy.

Not exact, but close.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I know how many on this site feel about him, but this is why McCain needed to win. He would know what to do as commander in chief. His other weaknesses aside, the man understood that we could not appease tyrants. This isn’t going to end well.

Shotgun Messiah on June 15, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Into darkness, into danger
Into storms that rip the night
Don’t give in, don’t give up
But give thanks for any opportunity to the tyrants fight

Someone has to face the valley
Rush in, you have to rally and win, Iranians
Even though Obama is not with you
By God, you know you’ve got to march on, Iranians

Never hold back your step for a moment
Never doubt that your courage will grow
Yes, it’s higher and higher
And into the fight for freedom you go

PercyB on June 15, 2009 at 1:17 AM

McCain’s approach to the ME would have been far superior, but so would have Romney’s, Palin’s Huckabee’s and even Biden’s

Obama in charge is the worst when we need at least a vertebrate

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Shotgun Messiah on June 15, 2009 at 1:15 AM

The people wanted Hope and Change.

This is what is amounts too. And I know it is going to smack them in the face! I just “hope” it stings good.

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Shotgun Messiah on June 15, 2009 at 1:15 AM

No it isn’t. The people in Iran will learn that we don’t have their backs.
That’s all they need to know.
Just imagine what might happen if they thought they could depend on Obama’s support,right now

This is where leadership either happens or doesn’t.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM

But the Obama administration has a huge problem in dealing with this crisis. Why? Because it is pretending that Iran is not hostile, or at least can be made non-hostile through engagement. Consequently, the administration is going to do everything possible to avoid making any criticism of the Islamist regime, lest that—in its own mind—destroy any chance to have détente with the government of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

This is grotesque, to say the least. No support for the courageous, nonviolent pro-reform demonstrators who are being beaten. No protest at the arrest of candidates or campaign workers. If Iranian forces opened fire on a crowd and shoots down hundreds of demonstrators there won’t be a peep from Washington.

The administration has painted itself into a corner and seems content to stay there. President Barack Obama has told us that Islam is always tolerant, that Palestinians are always victims, and that conflicts are almost always—not always, but usually—the fault of the West. More deeply, his is a philosophy that universal human rights must be filtered through local cultures and other religious practices.

It is also a philosophy which accepts the idea that radical regimes—Islamist, Arab nationalist, neo-Communist (Cuba and North Korea), and wherever one wants to put Venezuela and Bolivia—can daily denounce Western democratic states and societies in the most vicious terms but there can be no equivalent response. After all, their feelings might be hurt and they’ll refuse to participate in European and American efforts to engage them, give them money, and hand them concessions.

elduende on June 15, 2009 at 1:23 AM

This is where leadership either happens or doesn’t.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Thank you, God, for giving us men.

It is time to put away childish things, Barry. Either you are or you aren’t. This is no time to call 911.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Lim you know it will never happen.

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 1:26 AM

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM

And when will the American people learn that Obama doesn’t have our backs? That’s what we need to know.

Obama is indeed showing us his leadership on this and so many issues. And it’s always all about Obama. Obama first. Obama second. Obama third… Those soles of his shoes up on our desk in our Oval office were not just facing Israel, they were facing us.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 1:28 AM

Iranians preparing to negotiate while Obama spends quality time with his teleprompters.

orville on June 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM

The Obama voters I know from work have no problem ignoring the Iranian situation. None. “It’s not our problem”, “It will work itself out on it’s own”, “The last thing we need is another Iraq”.

Obamunists hope he won’t change his mind and intervene.
This ilk had no trouble with Ayatollah Khomeini or the chaos that was SE Asia post our abandonment of S Vietnam.

They will not lose a minute’s sleep.

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 1:26 AM

But I gotta try. I can’t stay silent while fools play word games. Up, I’m tired, and I’m not talking about my work schedule. Enough with all this political patty cake. The Tea Parties gave me a little hope that the folks at Concord and Lexington passed on their fire. I’m holding out that they did. Goddamn us if they didn’t.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:30 AM

This is the difference between Reagan and Obama.

TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!

No bullets were fired. No war ensued.
But the people knew who they could depend on.
There was no ‘well what are WE supposed to do?!’
What the hell is Hope and Change for if not for this?

If Obama truly doesn’t act strongly it will be pathetic.
This will truly be reducing the power of the presidency to little more then fluff.

Gen. McClelland (sp?) comes to mind.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Obama voters don’t seem to understand that when bullies smell a weakness, they don’t just go away. They keep coming back for your lunch money until you stand up to them.

Shotgun Messiah on June 15, 2009 at 1:31 AM

They will hand the bully their lunch money and buy him dinner shouting “give peace a chance for a change, you know”

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:33 AM

They will not lose a minute’s sleep.

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM

The hive mind never sleeps. They’re too busy getting their marching orders.

csdeven on June 15, 2009 at 1:34 AM

I wonder how the press will spin his inaction into a stroke of genius? I mean besides leaving out as many details as possible.

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:34 AM

They don’t get it. They really don’t.

Sometimes I think they do but they put up this “america is the root of all evil” facade.
But Obama could be perceived as a hero in the Mid East if he had guts here.

The fact that his supporters don’t realize that proves they don’t get it.

Bush was hated in the Mid east huh? Somehow I doubt that.
But Obama might be hated if he doesn’t man up.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Gen. McClelland (sp?) comes to mind.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:31 AM

An interesting analogy.George B. McClellan

As a result, McClellan’s leadership skills during battles were questioned by U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, who eventually removed him from command, first as general-in-chief, then from the Army of the Potomac. Lincoln was famously quoted as saying, “If General McClellan does not want to use the army, I would like to borrow it for a time.”

After he was relieved of command, McClellan became the unsuccessful Democratic nominee opposing Lincoln in the 1864 presidential election. His party had an anti-war platform, promising to end the war and negotiate with the Confederacy, which McClellan was forced to repudiate, damaging the effectiveness of his campaign.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 1:37 AM

McClellan…..now THAT made me smile. In modern terms he was a REMF’s hero. Just what we don’t need.

Kudo’s on ripping me outta my funk.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM

The American people will learn Obama doesn’t have their backs in time.

I’m sure of it. I’ve been sure of it since he was inaugurated.

Ever since 9/11 I started reading alot of books about the mid east to understand or TRY about WTF was/is happening over there to make 9/11 happen.

Things like this are part of the reason.
It burns me up to know that we have a situation here where we can do some real good for the people of Iran and we are doing nothing.
Pisses me off.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM

No matter what happens, Obama was preferred by muslims, by the Europeans and by nearly every other nation. They have what they wanted and this is what they must want now.

The press no matter how they cry on TV about Iranians being beaten and killed should have known this would be the intentionally flaccid response. It must be what they deeply desire, right?

If not they should have told the truth about this man and his world view. They lied and obfuscated to get exactly this moment.

I hope they are happy with what they desired so strongly

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:40 AM

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:40 AM

The problem is that happy, or not, this ‘abandonded’ group will shout “Death to America” louder then AQ ever did. Like B man said, it is time to crap or get off the bidet.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Kudo’s on ripping me outta my funk.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM

More pickle juice.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 1:45 AM

I don’t expect Obama to act against the current Iranian regime. Maybe just mutter something about the failures of past US interference in the Persians’ affairs

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Gerkins or dills, I’ll reserve a room in the bunker for ya’.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM

G’nite HotAirHeads. I’ll take a vodka sleep enhancer and return to 1949.

Tomorrow is another day. Someone please frag my mailbox.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:30 AM

**SMACK**

I understand the frustration but MAN get a hold of yourself.. Or let me get a hold of you!

Heck, I am trying to get some stuff together for one of our own H.A. commenters.. hawkdriver. Wanna help out? I am just one and it would be fun to help out a fellow H.A. commenter who is actually doing what we know is right, under this STUPID President!

Anyone else want to help out?

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Never Gherkins. Too sweet. My favorites were always Kosher Dill and Polish.

Already in a bunker. Hope it’s not disclosed. Worry about being transferred to a DHS camp. Won’t do well there. Relying on you and others to make sure that doesn’t happen. Please.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Sure I’ll help…..just give me some clue has to how to without ripping off my Batsuit on CNN. I’d be happy to send some love to the south Asian desert.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 1:58 AM

I always tell my liberal friends this… this isn’t just about feeling good… there are lives at stake if we are not respected. In this case, it’s iranian lives and freedom.

TTheoLogan on June 15, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I think it’s pretty clear that alot of people in the mid east have NO respect for each other in other countries.

When Iraq was going to hell pre-surge, no country offered to help us.

Why doesn’t some other country in the neighborhood do something to help them?
No one seems to care.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Anyone else want to help out?

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM

If you need anything done that can be done by a strange old hermit, I’m your man. What’s needed?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Lim and Lox.. email me @ helpingpalin@gmail.com

Let me see what else Hawk and his “guys” may need.

If I don’t answer tonight I will get back with you tomorrow.

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Hitchens voted for Obama. He has 0 credibility.

TTheoLogan on June 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM

gird your loins!

unseen on June 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Where is my vote?

Message From Mousavi

Via Andrew Sullivan’s contacts at the Farsi-speaking BBC, a telephone plea:

I AM UNDER EXTREME PRESSURE TO ACCEPT THE RESULTS OF THE SHAM ELECTION. THEY HAVE CUT ME OFF FROM ANY COMMUNICATION WITH PEOPLE AND AM UNDER SURVEILLANCE. I ASK THE PEOPLE TO STAY IN THE STREETS BUT AVOID VIOLENCE

MB4 on June 15, 2009 at 2:03 AM

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 2:01 AM

email on the way. (This old soldier ain’t skeered)…

Later, my friend. I’m off tomorrow and I’ll make sure to keep you secure.

Limerick on June 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM

With a few quick clicks one can start seeing some of the opinions on the left… They are sympathetic to these students and one can sense their desire to see some anarchy… That said, they keep blathering about former US interference, Iraq, let the grassroots do it on their own… Apparently the US has NEVER helped promote liberty…

Fine, let’s accept this view for a moment. How do they justify Obama giving his Cairo speech? What about Pakistan? What about Israel? The Palestinian issues? Still in Iraq and Afghanistan. Scolding China? NATO? The UN? The Balkans?

This is all US interference. Why is this OK?

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Where is President Obama?!

He should have already issued a strong statement condemning the violent treatment and unlawful detentions of the protesters.

Obama needs to show courage and leadership by denouncing Ahmadinejad and his regime!

sarahpalinfan99 on June 15, 2009 at 2:12 AM

upinak on June 15, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Email sent. I will help if I can.

I love Rosebay Willowherb.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:12 AM

gird your loins!

unseen on June 15, 2009 at 2:02 AM

I have since November 4th and can only keep them girded for so long.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:13 AM

I have since November 4th and can only keep them girded for so long.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Oh, we can fix that… We can post some pictures of your favorite Californian… red scarf and all…

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:16 AM

This is all US interference. Why is this OK?

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Because moral consistency is the hobgoblin of liberal minds?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:20 AM

We can post some pictures of your favorite Californian… red scarf and all…

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:16 AM

Two can play this game.

How about a dose of blatant blue?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Because moral consistency is the hobgoblin of liberal minds?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Yeah…

Just I think Conservatives are more than justified to rub this in their [lefties'] faces – especially after they were happy with the Obama impact on Lebanon and INSIST he does more about Israel…

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Two can play this game.

How about a dose of blatant blue?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Dirtying his name I see…

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:23 AM

They will not lose a minute’s sleep.

clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM

The world is watching to see how Obama handles this. If Obama sits by, recognizes Ahmadinejad and lets the Iranian Regime crush the students then Obama’s international prestige will suffer a major blow. Many in the Muslim world and international community will not forget how Obama abandoned the students.

sarahpalinfan99 on June 15, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM

More than justified to rub this in the Obamanation’s noses? Lordy! If Americans don’t stand for freedom from tyranny, what do we stand for?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:25 AM

Dirtying his name I see…

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:23 AM

No I did not. blatantblue ≠ blatant blue.

You see that empty space there between blatant and blue? Sort of like the empty suits we have running this country? How would you caption that photo?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:29 AM

sarahpalinfan99 on June 15, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Exactly. His whole ‘reach’ to the Muslim world?
I wonder how that will last with him being so soft on this situation.
Words, nothing more then words.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM

No I did not. blatantblue ≠ blatant blue.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Is that the senior slutty stewardess look? It’s a joke.

Violet Beauregarde needs the Oompa-Loompas at 3AM

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Violet Beauregarde needs the Oompa-Loompas at 3AM

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Ahhhhhh…… Bad dreams? Are you sleep posting?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Ahhhhhh…… Bad dreams? Are you sleep posting?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Hillary is a bad dream.

Obama is a nightmare.

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Rumor has it that the reason King Tut has not made a statement yet, is that he is doing what he always does when times get tough and he has to man up……………..

………. He sprinkles salt on his a%s, then visits the petting zoo.

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM

Obama is a nightmare.

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Let’s wake up our country for 2010. OK?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:03 AM

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM

…the reason King Tut has not made a statement yet, is that he…

…needs his mummy.

Obama’s a thumb sucker and bed wetter, too.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:07 AM

I just had a funny thought: The left hates the idea of American gov’t “interference” in cases like this, they want people to fend for themselves and figure it all out for themselves.

But here at home, they are the opposite.
Everyone should be under the umbrella of the gov’t “for the public good”.

On CNN they keep showing Dinner-jacket’s interview with King over, and over.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Let’s wake up our country for 2010. OK?

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:03 AM

OTAY

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 3:13 AM

…needs his mummy.

Obama’s a thumb sucker and bed wetter, too.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:07 AM

That too………

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Well, does some publicity statement from the US change anything?

Nope.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:23 AM

Well, does some publicity statement from the US change anything?

Nope.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:23 AM

If only Americans always did nothing and just stood silently whenever tyrants or bullies were brutally beating and killing innocent people…

…what a wonderful world it would be!

Let’s all sing it together now.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:28 AM

OTAY

Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 3:13 AM

More power to you. Now, go to sleep and have good dreams for a better world.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Well, does some publicity statement from the US change anything?

Nope.

AnninCA on June 15, 2009 at 3:23 AM

The right words, spoken at the right time, can change the course of history.

MB4 on June 15, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Oh and by the way…I don’t know if most people know this but the “Anti-Riot” forces that were beating and injuring the peaceful protestors are not Iranian forces.
It has been widely speculated that these extra forces were provided by Venezuela and Lebanon.
The forces were brought in because many of the Iranian police were unwilling to beat their own people and were also joining the protest.
As I mentioned in a previous post that I commented on, I am Persian (simply another word for Iranian), born and raised in the United States and considers the U.S as my country. I want to know why our government, particularly our President, hasn’t come out against the fraudulent election.
What are they waiting for…the weekend to pass so that they can conduct a poll to find out which decision would raise B.O’s popularity the most? By all means, we can’t have his popularity numbers go down…that’s just unthinkable!
On the other hand, I guess I can empathize with him a tad. If I were an unexpierienced idiot, I’d at least rather be a popular idiot!

-Belondy

Belondy on June 15, 2009 at 4:40 AM

The right words, spoken at the right time, can change the course of history.

MB4 on June 15, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Exactly!
If you want to judge the impact of words, go as far back as November when millions of people voted for someone, not based on expierience or record but only words. B.O’s words came at a time when people felt like things were bad, gas prices had gone up, people were losing jobs, etc. To bad they didnt realize how bad things could really get.
Not the same kind of example but nonetheless, words work and do matter…directly or indirectly, it matters.
Take it from me, words are even more important in the middle east.

Belondy on June 15, 2009 at 4:57 AM

I can tell you what is happening right now. Barry is voting present. To react this way after his speech in Cario is telling. Barry is full of, well, hot air

bigtexmex on June 15, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Today is going to be very interesting.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Yeah… Meantime, while this is going on, the goofball in Pyongyang decided to rattle his nuclear saber again.

Thing to watch this week is how the White House handles it all.

If they seek to minimize the Iranian people’s dissent, that tells you they NEVER had any intention of using the people’s anger as a lever with the Iranian government. And, that, my friends, should worry us all. It’s been keeping me up at night the last few evenings.

We have an administration in power right now that has no ability to think ahead or imaginatively, on any issue. That’s when things begin to get really scary.

mncons72 on June 15, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Here’s the deal: Come out and say that we don’t accept the election as legitimate and will not negotiate with DinnerJacket. Apply backchannel pressure to the Arab states (UAE, Saudi Arabia, and most importantly Iraq) to make similar statements following ours quickly. Publicly state that the election in Iran goes against the exact things that the President said in Cairo, about elections and not following the will of the people. Isolate the Iranians from a moral standpoint.

The key is to emphasize that the peaceful, free-loving people of the United States stand in solidarity with the desires of freedom of the Iranian people. Isolate the people from their government further, and eliminate the regime’s chance at support from the outside world. Extract anti-election statements (not anti-Iranian statements) from Pakistan, Afghanistan, any others we can.

State openly that the UNited States of America apologizes for our past dealings in Iran, carried out without understanding the Persian people, and then state that we stand ready to renew our commitment to a free Iran in any way possible. Recycle the Arsenal of Democracy line, if need be.

Stand by with intel first, arms next, and advisors last, if requested. The Guards are pros, but they rely on the people for payment and acquiesence. Undercut that, stand with the people, and the Mullahs will fall.

Have the Iraqis offer support and rebuilding assistance, even if those Dinars come stamped from Washington DC.

A chance at freedom should never be passed up. EVER. Money is just a means of exchange. Freedom is forever.

flashoverride on June 15, 2009 at 6:29 AM

And how would you suggest he make good on Hope and Change?
Upstater85 on June 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Hope – done. He is now a Ruler.
Change: progress toward a country under His rule.

They will not lose a minute’s sleep.
clnurnberg on June 15, 2009 at 1:29 AM

But later, when the Messiah comes for them they will scream.

Friendly21 on June 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM

The right words, spoken at the right time, can change the course of history.

MB4 on June 15, 2009 at 3:58 AM

When I first read this post last night, I thought this statement seemed familiar, something by some famous world leader or great thinker. So I looked them up, but could not find any citation or author or any quotation with this phrasing. So, I pondered that off and on during my sleep.

Then I realized they were indeed written by a great thinker.

This is the most profound statement I’ve read from you. Thank you so much for contributing your thoughts here.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Does this count as news analysis now? I want to know if you were jerking off while watching Youtube videos of the protests when you wrote that.

Nonfactor on June 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM

flashoverride on June 15, 2009 at 6:29 AM

Obama’s problem imo is that he truly believes in negotiating with despots. He doesn’t believe in the superiority of our system or in the philosophy behind our former governance.

Obama cannot make a value and moral judgment about Ahmadinejad. He doesn’t quickly and automatically see “bad” like you and I do. The only thing he sees in black and white is black and white. In that arena, good and evil register loud and clear with him. Good ideas you have, but I don’t think Obama is in the market.

JiangxiDad on June 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Well gee, who do these kids think Obama is? George W. Bush. Perish the thought.

Terrye on June 15, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Associated Press:Iran supreme leader orders probe of vote fraud

TEHRAN, Iran – Iran’s supreme leader ordered Monday an investigation into allegations of election fraud, marking a stunning turnaround by the country’s most powerful figure and offering hope to opposition forces who have waged street clashes to protest the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

State television quoted Ayatollah Ali Khamenei directing a high-level clerical panel, the Guardian Council, to look into charges by pro-reform candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi, who has said he is the rightful winner of Friday’s presidential election.

State TV quoted Khamenei urging Mousavi to try to keep the violence from escalating and saying “it is necessary that activities are done with dignity.

I note that the Ayatollah did note urge President Ahmadinejad to treat the protesters with dignity.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Jiangxi,

That’s why I’m appealing most of this to the one thing I know that Obama focuses on: his ego.

In his speech he talked about EXACTLY what Dinnerjacket did here. He could take it as a direct affront; and we all know that his Chicago roots show when he is directly confronted. That is, smile to your face and have someone else stab you in the back. That’s where Iraq and Afghanistan come in, which we both *coincedentally* have troops in.

flashoverride on June 15, 2009 at 7:15 AM

sarahpalinfan99 on June 15, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Exactly. His whole ‘reach’ to the Muslim world?
I wonder how that will last with him being so soft on this situation.
Words, nothing more then words.

B Man on June 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Maybe it will also expose his ‘strategy’ in dealing with the Iranian nuclear threat for what it is – i.e., to talk the clock down until a nuclear-armed Iran is a fait accompli so he can shrug his shoulders and say the world has to learn to ‘live with it’.

ProfessorMiao on June 15, 2009 at 7:16 AM

JiangxiDad on June 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM

I bet Obama very quickly and automatically sees any threat to him as bad, and any fawning or other form of subservience to him as good. Obama is always first, his leftist ideology is second, and then everything else is way down the list. And this will be his downfall, if it isn’t ours first, please God.

Loxodonta on June 15, 2009 at 7:17 AM

I’m in Norway – I just got up on the net.

Let me just say this – if you’re in trouble – an appeal to “the one” will not help you. No doubt Obama is sitting in the White House trying to figure out how to pay lip service to the students – while supporting Amadinnerjacket.

Yeah so my recommendation to the students is to go home – accept the status quo and wait for the Israeli bombs – because Barack Mugabe is not going to help you.

HondaV65 on June 15, 2009 at 7:22 AM

On another note – here in Norway – it’s kind of sickening the way the Europeans see Obama as the “God of the World”. I mean – Netanyahu made his speech about the two state solution yesterday. And the news here is “Was his speech enough” to give Barack Obama the push he needs to bring peace to the middle east.

Like – Barack Obama is going to bring peace to the middle east. Uhm … yeah right.

There’s not anything they think he can’t do.

HondaV65 on June 15, 2009 at 7:25 AM