Video: Palin on Alaska’s new natural-gas pipeline and the dangers of Obamanomics

posted at 1:00 pm on June 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

‘Cuda fans have been begging us to post this, partly because it shows how effective she can be when she’s comfortable during an interview and partly because it’s an opportunity to tout her triumph in bringing Exxon on board to help build Alaska’s ambitious new natural-gas pipeline. Credit to Blitzer and CNN for giving her an opportunity to talk policy at length; the obligatory questions about the Letterman trainwreck don’t come until the very end, after an extended discussion of energy and an elaboration on what she meant when she said the tentacles of federal aid to the states will lead to “controlling the people.” More like this, please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Current President Obama who just won is half Kansan,half Kenyan, conceived out of wedlock in Hawaii, raised in Malaysia & Hawaii by both mother and than grandparents, whose parents were never legally married because his father was already married in Kenya, has 15 half brothers & sisters,3 step mothers….

portlandon on June 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Some people seem to be stuck in the 19th century. Normally we (Americans at least) don’t blame people for what their parents did, especially before we were even born. But we DO usually blame parents for what their children (especially minors) do. Sometimes the parents are even held legally responsible.

Speedwagon82 on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

My, my what a strange world we live in. To evaluate a person’s ability to run something by the tone of their voice and not by their actual experience running anything. I guess that means that any preacher and/or actor can be POTUS. After all, they certainly speak well. It’s no wonder we’re stuck with Obama who talks pretty and is driving us into the ground.

Hobbes on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Really? Dave Letterman isn’t.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:57 PM
——————————–
Letterman is running from Momma Bear

Terry tells him to attack her voice

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Only reason he has a job is that he lives in the basement of CNN’s headquarters and refuses to leave.

Del Dolemonte

That’s a reprehensible lie. They moved him upstairs to a broom closet three years ago.

SKYFOX on June 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Letterman is running from Momma Bear

Terry tells him to attack her voice

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Not running fast enough.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Hobbes on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

How’d you think Nixon felt about television…

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

We don’t need a politician, we need a leader who loves this country and wants it to remain free and strong. I didn’t notice any posts by you over on the thread discussing the underhanded trick the president pulled on Great Britain. Would you care to expand on your feelings about that?

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Kudos to Palin for vigorously defending the free market system and critiquing Obama concisely.

On the pipeline issue:

How dare the private sector provide employment!

That’s the government’s job.

Right, Commissar Barry?

profitsbeard on June 13, 2009 at 2:02 PM

If she had only said, “The pipeline should start at Letterman’s a$$, plenty of gas there.” That would have been a perfect interview

bestwins on June 13, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I didn’t say anything about speaking ability. I said her voice is extremely annoying. Obama does have a good deep voice though. I think about 90% of America would rather listen to someone with Obama’s voice than Palin.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

To my ears, his voice is flat and boring – very monotonous. And then when he tries to speak with passion, he comes off as shouting and angry.

Now Palin, to my ears, has a musical quality to her voice. Camilia Paglia wrote an article months ago comparing Palin’s voice to musical notes, and I have to say, I agree with that.

yogi41 on June 13, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Terry usually only focuses on one issue.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

lansing quaker: I was rooting for Hillary during the primary. I thought that McCain or Hillary would be no difference. I do believe that unless the economy improves, Obama is a 1 termer. He’s soft on terrorism and I this economy reminds me of the Carter years.

Vince on June 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Why does she say UHHH between every word? And what about visitng all 57 states…and that Special Olympics comment!

Oh wait…i was watching barry on YouTube

WhatsRight on June 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I believe that most of our politicians today are lawyers. I’m not one, but lawyers are trained in the skill of how to debate, and how to present an argument. And BO has a natural ability + great skill (with teleprompters at the ready!) That’s why he and politicians in general all seem to sound the same to me.

So, while I agree that BO is more polished and practiced. That doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s “better”. Maybe (if you’re a leftie) you agree with him, but I think what attracts people to SP is the whole citizen politician thing.

Yes, I want her to improve her presentations and all that (the “bully pulpit” is about persuasion after all) but for conservatives, she represents a closer link to “the people”, which is a core belief of where our gov’t should be powered. Lawyers seem to occupy a netherworld of “legalize” and makes us wary of their motives.

I think SP elicits a level of trust (and “I want to believe”) for that reason.

cranbone on June 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I would genuinely like you to tell the posters on this thread your IDEAL of the perfect female voice and please don’t say Hillary Clinton or Helen Thomas.

technopeasant on June 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Hobbes on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Only if that person is Jon Voight :) Mr. Voight did say that Obama was the greatest actor of all time….so yeah, we have an actor in the White House.

deidre on June 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Speedwagon82 on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Oh really? I guess you’ve never heard of the term “reparations,” have you?

OneVision on June 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Terry usually only focuses on one issue.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM
—————————-

Terry has issues

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Speedwagon82 on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Obama is more culpable for an illegal-immigrant aunt and a half-brother living in a hut on $12 a year than Sarah Palin is for her teen daughter’s pregancy. The question was one of a “sideshow”. Which, I guess, means “freakshow”. Tell me which set of circumstances is more “freakish”.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

No, he got the nomination because he’s black. No white guy with a resume as paper-thin and full of holes as Obama would ever have been nominated for the presidency by either party.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Be careful. That type of rhetoric (aka “truth”) caused the left to ransack the hell out of Geraldine Ferraro.

lansing quaker on June 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

AP look–positive Palin post and still 218 hits and growing.

bestwins on June 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Speedwagon82 on June 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Nice Try speedy.

My response was to the fact that Palin was unelectible because Palin’s family & background were called a sideshow act.

Obama’s family & background has alot more…ahem..flair & sparkle which in the 19th & 20th century would have had him at center ring of the freak show circuit.

portlandon on June 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

What like this one he created just this Wednesday?

Where he tried to fire the Americorps AG in direct violation of successful legislation HE CO-SPONSORED as a Senator? Then when called on it by the AG and Sen Grassley he began to follow the law.

JeffWeimer on June 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM

“How’d you think Nixon felt about television…

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM”

WHO CARES?

Hobbes on June 13, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Oh really? I guess you’ve never heard of the term “reparations,” have you?

OneVision on June 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Good point.

the_nile on June 13, 2009 at 2:09 PM

As to Governor Palin’s voice. I love accents, and hers is very pleasant. I enjoy her speaking voice and accent. However, her occasional speed speaking sometimes makes it difficult for me to understand all of what she says without listening twice. So, I wish she’d reduce her velocity.

Loxodonta on June 13, 2009 at 2:09 PM

technopeasant,

Helen Thomas…Hillary Clinton?? I thought you said FEMALES? ….Ok sorry…how about Janet Napolitano…now there’s a “lady”

WhatsRight on June 13, 2009 at 2:09 PM

We can use all that worthless paper money to insulate our homes (or cardboard boxes) when we can no longer afford heat.

SKYFOX on June 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM

No need. Watching the Obamas go out on their romantic date nights will keep us warm.

aero on June 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM

The thing is Obama is a real politician. A real politician knows how to deal with sideshows. An amateur like Palin who is quite out of her league does not. An amateur gets into back and forths with the media and can’t quiet her critics. That is the difference between them. I also don’t see how his race or where or how he was conceived and raised constitutes a sideshow. How is being half Kansan and half Kenyan a sideshow? Unless your one of those retarded birthers.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

LOL, brilliant satire!

She didn’t get into a “back and forth with the media”, they went after her with all guns blazing the instant McCain announced her name.

As for the “birther” thing, if a Republican Presidential candidate had been accused of the same thing after they
refused to produce their birth certificate, would you give them the same pass you gave O’bama?

No, didn’t think so.

Del Dolemonte on June 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM

WHO CARES?

Hobbes on June 13, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM

The thing is Obama is a real politician.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Thats’s the problem. He is a Lawyer/Politician.

We need a leader with vision. Not a political hack. Barry can’t create the jobs he promised so now he says “create OR save”. That is Lawyer talk and Political Talk. We call it LYING.

Soon Barry will change his slogan to

“Hope and Good or Bad Change” instead or hopenchange to cover his azz.

Geochelone on June 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM

C’mon. No Hillary cracks. Hillary isn’t in this, and a lot of people like myself SUPPORTED (and still support) Hillary. Haven’t you ever read HillBuzz?

Hillary isn’t a target.

lansing quaker on June 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM

It was not an attack on Hillary. It was to point out for some people the irony of double standard often escape their small minds.

bayview on June 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Its interesting that some people (technopeasant etc…) have mentioned presentation and cadence. They used this analogy during the 08′ Presidential election “Who would you cast as an American Movie President?”. There is a certain need for America to be represented by someone who will be respected not only by its allies but also its enemies. Movies have traditionally been a good indicator of the type of molds we can expect.

I remember Mitt Romney was jokingly referred to as looking like the “typical b-grade actor who plays the President in bad movies”.
Presentation is something I write about and am fascinated by. Outside of maybe Punditry and wrestling, because our culture is so visual its hard to be Number #1 in any arena without being attractive whilst fitting the mold. Its difficult accepting characters outside the cookie cutter mold.

They said American Idol was a big influence on the 08 elections. A lot of the thought processes that come into play their are the same “he can sing but does he really look like someone I want to buy a CD from and see more of”.
eh.

PunditFight on June 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM

lansing quaker on June 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Let’s hope someone gets savvy. Lately I have not been filled with optimism that that’s going to happen.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM

So, I wish she’d reduce her velocity.

Loxodonta on June 13, 2009 at 2:09 PM

That I would have to agree with. She sounds like she’s fighting the clock.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Palin can’t run I guess. Her voice is just too annoying and we can’t have that who cares what her policies are.

deidre on June 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I get that you’re being sarcastic…

I think you were too subtle for some…

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Gov Sarah Palin has put many trolls on suicide watch. The trolls are heading for egress to off themselves like so many lemmings.

Geochelone on June 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

The sideshows sure seem to follow Obama. Why, just yesterday, he tried to fire an Inspector General who is investigating an Obama crony. Two days ago, Obama sent TERRORIST to Burmuda, without consulting UK. When TOTUS bowed to a Saudi king, then did the high-wire act by denying he bowed. His magic act claiming to create/save 150,000 jobs while unemployment climbs to 9.4%, will leave you in stitches..

Let the Side Show begin,
Hurry, HURRY, step right on in…. See Barack, the magic TOTUS try to stuff inflation back in his hat…

TN Mom on June 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM

There is nothing wrong with Sarah’s voice! Don’t let that meme get started !

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

That I would have to agree with. She sounds like she’s fighting the clock.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Yeah, it feels like she read up on a whole bunch of information, and then the she lets the dam burst. I’d say, slow it down and control the conversation… heck, I don’t think she’d have any trouble controlling the conversation with say Hannity.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

That I would have to agree with. She sounds like she’s fighting the clock.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM

—————————-
There’s some truth in that. Everyone on tv interviews
is fighting the clock to get everything in before the
commercial break comes along.

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I like O when he makes a decision. Even if I disagree.

I think we have to move forward.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Okay, I’ll bite – do you have a particular Obama decision in mind?

massrighty on June 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

You may think that’s an insult to her, but it’s actually a compliment. I agree that Obama is a politician and she is not. I have never seen Palin as a politician; I’ve only seen her as a leader, and by 2012, millions more will, too. Most Americans can’t stand politicians, but those are the choices they are given come election time. In 2012, they will have a choice between a politician and a leader; that’s real change!

yogi41 on June 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

How long before Obama nationalizes Exxon Mobil, then takes credit for the pipeline?

Someone should start a pool.

Rebar on June 13, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I think we have to move forward.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Yes, we have to move forward to 2012. It can’t get here soon enough.

OneVision on June 13, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Del Dolemonte

SKYFOX on June 13, 2009 at 1:59 PM

“Movin’ on up…”

Del Dolemonte on June 13, 2009 at 2:24 PM

This is CNN?

JohnJ on June 13, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Now, if she’ll back off the abortion stuff, I’m there!

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Sarah is never going to be pro abortion so I guess you might as well just move along now…

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM

You know what, Nominate Her! Please! Thats what we want you to do.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Will you help us by crossing over and voting for her in the primary?

yogi41 on June 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Gov Palin is actually creating AND saving jobs. Good for her. Good for Alaska!

TN Mom on June 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM

As a gay, what did Obama do yesterday? I haven’t heard anything. But I really want to know!

lansing quaker on June 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM

The Obama Justice Department yesterday filed a brief urging a California district court to dismiss a challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) filed in 2008 by a married gay couple. The Obama brief defends the DOMA and rejects all the substantive constitutional challenges (e.g., that it violates equal protection, etc.) that gay rights’ activists have been asserting for years. (Gay rights’ groups criticized the Obama brief as something that could just as easily have been written by the Bush administration). There’s a good analysis of the govt’s brief at volokh.com if you want to know more about it.

AZCoyote on June 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM

terry silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

A real politician knows how to deal with sideshows.

If anybody precipitated the sideshow it was the nutroots who perpetrated the Trig Truther meme, which forced Sarah to announce that Bristol was pregnant. And remember it is not against the law for a teenage girl of 17 to become pregnant.

And any further ‘sideshow’ as you call it has been fostered by the Obama war room who has consistently abided by the template that the MSM and the entertainment industry must constantly portray Sarah Palin as a bimbo-moron, incompetent and a religious wacko who has the class of trailer trash.

And Letterman’s joke was another example of this strategy. Unfortunately for Letterman and the Obama war room this went over the line.

As a consequence Sarah and her family are now looked upon as victims and the meme ‘that she brought in our herself’ doesn’t hold up to scrutiny even among liberal women.

And to boot Sarah conducts two interviews yesterday that offer the opportunity to present herself as having more gravitas than what generally is assumed by those on the fence.

The genie of intelligence, competence and ability has been let out of the bottle. The fear that the Obama war room has now that it may not be able to chase it down and put it back into the bottle.

Sarah may have turned a corner this week, regardless of countless more stupid impressions of Sarah Palin coming from the talents of Tina Fey.

technopeasant on June 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM

It’s all over folks. Let’s shut down the Palin fan clubs and SaraPacs and breathlessly wait for Terry’s next political pontification. I’m all agog!

SKYFOX on June 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I go to the bottom of a post and see who’s it is. If it’s Terry Silver and now AnninCA I just don’t read… I skip others responses to them too…makes things go much faster and you get the good substantive stuff like that instead of all the bickering…usually

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Wolfie’s no journalist-he majored in history at the University of Buffalo.

So? Most journalists don’t have much respect for journalism degrees.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Money quote: The most responsive, most effective level of government is local government, not big federal government.

Ted Torgerson on June 13, 2009 at 2:33 PM

You know what, Nominate Her! Please! Thats what we want you to do.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Will you help us by crossing over and voting for her in the primary?

yogi41 on June 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Good point. Let all the moonbats praying for her nomination turn out and vote for her overwhelmingly in the primaries. (Psssst…that’ll be a cold day in July.)

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:33 PM

You know what, Nominate Her! Please! Thats what we want you to do.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Don’t you have more important things to worry about; like getting Harry Reid/Chris Dodd/Arlen Spector re-elected? Oh, and you are stuck with Biden & Pelosi, the OFFICIAL faces of the Democrat party; never know what they will say, what they will do…

TN Mom on June 13, 2009 at 2:33 PM

O/T My husband is visiting his aunt in the hospital, it’s a Catholic hospital and they play this lovely little song over the intercom and announce the births of day and say a prayer for the babies’ future. It is so sweet.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Wolfie’s no journalist-he majored in history at the University of Buffalo.

So? Most journalists don’t have much respect for journalism degrees.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Sh… don’t tell Keith.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Oh yeah, that’s gonna be a real plus in two years after the “real politicians” from Harvard and Yale have turned our currency into monopoly money and our grandchildren’s future lives into ones that are Solitary, Poor, Nasty, Brutish, and Short.

If you believe me on nothing else, believe this: Palin is the advance guard of a populist wave that will send the Obamists and the Beltway G.O.P. packing. You’ll see the beginnings of this in 2010.

Democrats should have panicked when Jim Carville published his triumphalist nonsense about “40 More Years” of Democratic rule. That should have been like a mine canary to smart Democrats to moderate their rule and hew to centrism like Clinton did so smartly.

But noooooooooo! They had to believe their own B.S.!

victor82 on June 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Obama is more culpable for an illegal-immigrant aunt and a half-brother living in a hut on $12 a year than Sarah Palin is for her teen daughter’s pregnancy.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Anyone agree with this? Seriously?

I’m sure he has known about his aunt being an illegal for some time and if he has been pulling any strings for her, that is more reprehensible than anything Palin has done. But I wouldn’t say he is responsible for personally for not kicking her out of the country. Its not like President Bush was known to be tough on illegal immigrants.

Speedwagon82 on June 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I saw her as a great political talent, always. I did NOT vote for her. I voted for McCain, but I thought she executed the VP role beautifully.

I wasn’t sure about the political criticism. It was, honestly, up to her to overcome the garbage from the election.

The turkey interview made me wonder if she could. That was a disaster.

She could complain that she was “over-handled,” and I was willing to buy that….but if you’re so naive you don’t pay attention to something like that in the viewfinder of the camera?

Whoa* That’s just way too big of a hill to climb.

She handled this situation well.

I agreed with her every step of the way.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

lansing quaker

He reneged on a campaing promise regarding DOMA by sending his DOJ to argue in favor of not changing it.

Palin is a social conservative in her private life. She wont make any empty promises to the gay community in order to try to gain its support but she won’t go after any rights that gays have in the state constutions or at least she hasn’t in AK..you can trust her a lot more that Obama who lies to several different groups in order to get their support and then reneges and says in his defense… I’m the better alternative…

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Especially the Beltway G.O.P.! They need to go!

No group of knaves deserves to horsewhipped more than they, and I think I speak for most of the rank and file in the conservative movement in the country.

victor82 on June 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Is being a politician REALLY that good a thing, as opposed to a leader as others have said here?

To quote Richard Jordan’s character from “The Hunt For Red October”:

“I’m a politician, which means I’m a cheat and a liar. And when I’m not kissing babies, I’m stealing their lollipops.”

So, maybe BO really IS a better politician.

cranbone on June 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM

“Well, we are talking about substance and ability over say lack thereof and inexperience…

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM”

Nixon had problems with television because of how he looked, i.e. sweating, not the tone of his voice. If that was the case with Sarah’s criticizers they most certainly wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. Sarah shows complete calm on camera and although it shouldn’t matter, is quite pretty too!

Hobbes on June 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM

AP caved ;)

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM

No he didn’t. AP is a great politician and saw the writin on the wall.

He has “A Servant’s Heart”.

And, some day he will be one of….

Sarah’s People

On behalf of the Great Governor of Alaska, representing single middle-aged males overtaxed/regulated champions of babies everywhere,

Thanks Allah

Sapwolf on June 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM

There is nothing wrong with Sarah’s voice! Don’t let that meme get started !

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Let them criticize her voice. Her voice represents another huge chunk of flyover country that needs to wake up to how “annoying” they are to the coastal elites. The more they complain about her real-person attributes, the more real people come to the realization that, “Hey! They’re talking about me! I have an accent like that. I have teenagers who’ve made mistakes. I’m a sports mom. I hunt. What’s wrong with all that?!”

aero on June 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM

She missed to point out that it already has happened in California.

the_nile on June 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Palin is mostly a Federalist on most issues. She did come out last year, iirc, in favor of DOMA and, I believe, a Federal Marriage Amendment. I disagree with her on this. I don’t know if she was simply supporting McCain’s position or what her real position is.

victor82 on June 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Wolfie’s no journalist-he majored in history at the University of Buffalo.
So? Most journalists don’t have much respect for journalism degrees.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM
Sh… don’t tell Keith.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM

NBC’s Brian Williams doesn’t even have a degree. In anything! He is a drop-out. He did get an honorary degree for giving a commencemnt speech (Ohio?)..

TN Mom on June 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I never have seen this election as a mandate for excessive “tax-and-spend” policies. That’s emerging as correct thinking on my part. I did see it as an opportunity to overcome a very real and sordid anti-AA past. He’s really very much a leader on those issues.

He’s good and bad. I think the GOP who demonize?

You’re out of fashion. I don’t doubt you believe, but you’re not attractive.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Doesn’t California have a fleet of buses and state vehicles that are powered by natural gas? If there is such a glut and it runs clean, why isn’t that a solution to all of our perceive or real problems. I am sick of people being so shortsighted, especially with our security. Depending on other nations for our energy is just stupid.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM

yes and most of the Power Plants now run on natural gas because it’s cleaner than burning coal…

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM

One thing I wish people, even in venues like this one, would get over: 0 is not a great speaker, or even a good one. He is condescending, stiff, boring and can only work within memorized parameters. One good way to recognize this is that everytime he got heckled last year he always defaulted to the same tactic: Uh,uh, now hold on guys, uh, uh…or in other words the tacit assumption that “we’re all adults here, and we can be tolerant of anyone who’s misguided.” The key is that that’s what he did every single time…condescending, stiff, boring and rigid.

Face it, 0 won because he looks black. Period. 95% of black voters kept on choppin that Democrat cotton, shamefully enough, and Skip and Buffy in their millions finally got the opportunity to show the world how enlightened they really are – and simultaneously annoy their parents, of course. A twofer. “Order us up matching hair shirts from Lands’ End, sweetie, there’s a potluck Saturday night at the club….”

As far as Governor Palin’s speaking style goes, the person she reminds me of most, verbally, is Camille Paglia, who talks so fast you have to keep replaying it to realize that it’s all grammatically perfect and densely logical. The problem with both these women is that their minds are very, very active, and new information is obviously being assimilated and reformulated on the spot – which is of course never going to be a difficulty for 0. Anybody who’s been paying attention must necessarily come to the conclusion that he’s just not that smart, and has obviously functioned as the creature of puppeteers like Ayers, Axelrod and Soros for a long, long time.

Please, for God’s sake, do whatever you can to scotch the dual canards of Palin as a poor speaker and 0 as The Great Communicator.

He ain’t said nothin to me.

warbaby on June 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM

All sides of the political spectrum demonize. Somethings are worthy of demonization, some are not. I hope you aren’t painting with a broad brush.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Low energy prices isn’t bad for economic recovery or growth.

the_nile on June 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Interesting factoid there. I didn’t know that. Thanks.

That’s actually the old-style journalism. They do usually come from some liberal arts background, but I think that’s because they are curious and like to read.

Journalism degrees are better today than in the past.

But they are still sort of dorky.

The standard has been to hold the line against a program that turns it totally against a general liberal arts background.

But there are lots of colleges who have opted out of earning a credential due to that.

Then, what you get?

Minorities in journalism, 101.

Just stupid stuff.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM

lansing quaker on June 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM

BTW good to see you here…

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

DAMN.b

Where the hell was this woman in 2008? I hate McCain even more (if that’s possible) today than I did then as I realize how completely mismanaged her up. Damn you Juan, damn you!!

And yea what’s up with Wolfie? Actually allowing a guest more than 10 seconds uninterrupted to answer a question. NOW stands up for Palin, Wolfie gives a Republican a fair shake….anyone seeing horsemen around?

angryed on June 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I like O when he makes a decision. Even if I disagree.

I think we have to move forward.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Okay, I’ll bite – do you have a particular Obama decision in mind?

massrighty on June 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM

So, no answer yet?

massrighty on June 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Of course not. You guys are way more fun than liberals on blogs. *haha (selfish motive here, admitted)

No, seriously. I don’t stereotype.

That wouldn’t be liberal, now, would it? *haha

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Terry:

If by real politician, you mean crook…well yeah Obama is a real politician.

I have read that Abraham Lincoln did not have a good speaking voice. He may have written some of the greatest speeches ever given by an American president, but his voice was high and there was said to be a strong midwestern twang to it.

Luckily there was no TV back then or he would not have been elected. It is interesting that so many Obamabots like to compare Lincoln to Obama, considering the fact that Lincoln was all substance and little style and Obama is the opposite.

Terrye on June 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Sarah should expand on that. Maybe she should talk to Ford. If there is a supposed glut on the market of natural gas why not use that it push forward the transformation of cars to NG until the domestic supply is secured. Regardless of whether she could do much about the implementation, she could score points for being out in front with ideas.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Okay, I’ll bite – do you have a particular Obama decision in mind?

I am furious about the stimulus and budget.

He screwed us out of a good healthcare bill.

Seriously.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Sarah did turn a corner this week. When a slavish Romneybot like Allahpundit is forced to concede that Sarah moved the ball way down the field in both form and substance, then she’s turned a big corner. Even Kathleen Parker had to concede that she did well.

victor82 on June 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Terry Silver disappeared when the questions got tough. Interesting. I guess if you get beyond voices and sideshows, she’s not up to the task of defending her guy.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I didn’t get that impression. I think the content was good and not simply from a crash study course. However, I think some people talk too fast sometimes, and it would benefit the Governor to slow her pace.

A lot of the ridicule the Governor gets is because she’s from a rural state, she’s supposedly “unsophisticated,” and she certainly isn’t one of the elite academic types. I’m not looking for an urban, sophisticated, academic. We already have one playing president, along with far too many members of Congress and the media. their smooth talk sounds very sweet, until you’re smacked with their elitism, hypocrisy, liberal bias and corruption. But I believe Governor Palin could convey her message much better if she used a slower pace that had people hanging on her words instead of trying to catch up.

Loxodonta on June 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Speedwagon:

Dragging Palin’s children into the debate is reprehensible. It really is.

As for Obama’s aunt, why didn’t he do something about her status?

Terrye on June 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Nah*….

He’s no more seriously challenged verbally than Bush was.

Bush really was inarticulate.

But then, remember, I’m a diehard Bill Clinton lover.

That…..that is a communicator. :)

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Anyone agree with this? Seriously?

Speedwagon82 on June 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Poll the country. I can tell you what answer you’d get.

Obama could’ve helped legalize his aunt’s situation, anyway, or helped to insure she came here legally. And you’d think a guy worth millions could spare a thou or two for a half-brother in a hut.

There’s only so much control a parent has over his/her child’s actions.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:01 PM

and that underhanded trick cost us, a country that is so in debt now it ‘s mindboggling, 200 million dollars!

CCRWM on June 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Palin threads:

Go Sarah! = Palinmaniac

Neutral. = RINO

Negative. = Libtard

Very little ground to stand on for the lady, or folks who want to let her be for awhile and see where she leads. We are so damn busy gobsmacking the snot out of each other I doubt we will ever give her (and each other) room to maneuver.

Limerick on June 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

DAMN.b

angryed on June 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Only now, when it is too late, does the galactic incompetence of the people around John McCain and the Bushie Communications people around Palin make itself apparent.

Now do you see? McCain got most of his advice and talent from K-Street. This is what killed the G.O.P.. These are the people who lost touch with the country.

This is the Palin you never knew existed, because they sat on her.

victor82 on June 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Loxodonta:

A lot of that is just regional. There was a time, before TV when you could really tell where people were from by the way they spoke. We have lost a lot of that, but not entirely.

I think people from the northeast sound funny myself.

I grew up in Oklahoma and have lived in southern Indiana for many years.

Terrye on June 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I confess that we Catholics can be a bit odd. Sweet, but odd. And I’ve added your aunt-in-law to my prayers.

Loxodonta on June 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM

My opinion about McCain’s decision?

He waited too long.

That’s all. Sarah was a great pick. She galvinized the message and the campaign. She was so on-point that she will be a text-book for others as to how to run a VP campaign.

But McCain, bless him….I still like the guy….shocked too much.

Can’t do that.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Terrye on June 13, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Seriously, I wouldn’t have had a problem with him using his influence as a senator to get his aunt’s situation fixed. She’s one older lady for goodness sakes. It’s very odd where he will make the extra effort and use influence and where he won’t. He’s an enigma.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I don’t know what planet you are from.

Anything she says is music to me, anything.

I love the accent. Reminds me of that wonderful woman in “Fargo”.

She will do great if she simply is herself.

Americans HATE phonies.

Sapwolf on June 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Let’s look at the facts shall we?

Sarah Palin:

Didn’t need to exploit her opponent’s divorce papers to embarrass, slander, and smear them into dropping off the ticket in order to get elected. Neither did she need a nationwide voter fraud organization.

Brought real reform to the corrupt Alaska political machine, unlike Obama, who is a product of an even more corrupt machine.

Did more for American energy independence and is now creating more private sector jobs in this COUNTRY in her first term as GOVERNOR than the One could ever do in eight years.

Etc., etc.

This could go on for an entire page. But none of that matters. Her voice is annoying, and her daughter had a baby, so she’s unqualified. Hope you like the crumbling Third World banana republic that our kids are going to be forced to live in because you knelt at the altar of “hope and change.”

OlympicLeprechaun on June 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM