Video: Palin on Alaska’s new natural-gas pipeline and the dangers of Obamanomics

posted at 1:00 pm on June 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

‘Cuda fans have been begging us to post this, partly because it shows how effective she can be when she’s comfortable during an interview and partly because it’s an opportunity to tout her triumph in bringing Exxon on board to help build Alaska’s ambitious new natural-gas pipeline. Credit to Blitzer and CNN for giving her an opportunity to talk policy at length; the obligatory questions about the Letterman trainwreck don’t come until the very end, after an extended discussion of energy and an elaboration on what she meant when she said the tentacles of federal aid to the states will lead to “controlling the people.” More like this, please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

AP caved ;)

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I don’t care what anybody says. I just can’t stand her voice. Its like nails on a chalkboard.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Kudos allah I couldnt find this clip on CNN earlier

William Amos on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I’ve been saying that about Obama forever… but no… he’s the world’s most all time awesomest orator… or something…

Skywise on June 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

It’s not beautiful, but nails on a chalkboard? Naw… Where does that put Fran Drescher?

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Terry, I understand your sensitivity to her voice. Afterall, the great orator has been giving you lullaby times for months now.

nondhimmie on June 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Thank you, AP.

yogi41 on June 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I haven’t been a big Palin fan but she does grow on you. She appears to have conservative policies and she is expressing them better.

Vince on June 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Well, finally. Good stuff.

I’m noticing a few dropped pronouns at the beginning of some of her sentences. Is that colloquial, or is she trying to avoid using “I” in association with a few topics?

Count to 10 on June 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

She could talk about paperclips and I would still go all gooey inside.

birdhurd on June 13, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Her celebrity status can get her on any news outlet any time she wants. She should have a team of people helping to shape policy positions in opposition to Obama that she can hammer home when she picks her spots to speak.

The tabloid stuff won’t go away, but she can build enough of an alternative image that people will focus more on Palin the governor and conservative leader.

dedalus on June 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

This is how she was in her pre-VP nominee days, apparently. I watched several clips of her debating, making speeches, and giving interviews as Alaska gov when I was first learning about her, and she’s very articulate and confident. Talks a little fast and long, but gets her points across effectively. It was refreshing that Blitzer gave her the opportunity to actually finish her replies. Wow! Kudos, Mr. Blitzer. I must warn you, though, that your media colleagues may not invite you to their parties for a few weeks because you actually gave the Palin-beast a fair shake.

aero on June 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

More Palin, less little Miss Meghan McCain.

Spc Steve on June 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Teh ‘Cuda is getting better at her media appearances. Kudos to her.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

And the “Uh Reader in Chief” doesn’t disturb you?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

As well as she did (except for the little missile, big missile thing)all I could think of was the venom CNN and Wolf unleashed on her that first hour of her VP candidacy…

mjbrooks3 on June 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Good interview for both Palin and Wolf. Now if she could just start injecting some Friedman, Hayek, or Burke references when talking about limited government, that would be money.

V15J on June 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

her voice is nothing compared to michelle my belle’s FACE!

Ghoul aid on June 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM

And the “Uh Reader in Chief” doesn’t disturb you?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

The “Uh Reader in Chief” and “Shillery” having a child would scare me…

It would be one bi-polar child.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM

And the “Uh Reader in Chief” doesn’t disturb you?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I didn’t say anything about speaking ability. I said her voice is extremely annoying. Obama does have a good deep voice though. I think about 90% of America would rather listen to someone with Obama’s voice than Palin.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

The substance is fine.

It’s the way she says it. enough of this folksy crap lower freaking voice.

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

V15J on June 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Would Hannity approve?

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I just pray Sarah has people helping her she can trust. I would think trust in people around her would be a bit hard after all she has been through.
L

letget on June 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Thank you AP!

Mutnodjmet on June 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM

More Palin, less little Miss Meghan McCain.

Spc Steve on June 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Indeed.

The complaint has been that Palin is short on policy (argued from a point of ignorance, I think. I don’t say that to be rude, but she clearly understood her issues before the nomination as you can see in previous interviews, if you look. No look, no know = ignorance). I find it ironic that complaints about vacuity with respect to Palin exist here where the very definition of political vacuity, Ms. McCain, gets play. Ah, but she means well.

Spirit of 1776 on June 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Might want to avoid ever traveling to north/central Minnesota amongst other places then. She has a very similar accent to a lot of the residents there.

coyoterex on June 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM

You’re so right! Excellent interview, and thanks. I looked for it yesterday.

She is interesting.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Ah… you caught yourself. I thought you were going to say

“I think about 90% of America would rather listen to someone with Obama’s speaking uh-style than Palin’s.”

IMO, Obama’s voice is nothing amazing…

Let’s see, who would I like to listen to? I always liked Buckley. Oh, I know. Jim Lehrer.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Terry, You are so right.. ummmm ummmmmmm

nondhimmie on June 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Obama sounds like a crackhead.

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM

coyoterex on June 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Yeah, when she doesn’t speak too fast, I really like that accent. Very warm.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM

BTW, this notion she needs to practice?

Anyone care to back away from that?

I saw Couric and Gibson both as setting her up big-time. It was shocking.

To watch Couric get awards for that type of journalism was very shocking to this “liberal” gal.

Think she can talk now?

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM

coyoterex on June 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM

The thing is I have been up there a couple times and I think she is overdoing the folksy thing. People like that to a point or once in a while, but not all the goddamn time. Combine that with a high voice and voila nails on a chalkboard.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM
—————————-
There is nothing behind Obama’s voice.

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

would be one bi-polar child.

But it would be protected because of global warming

Vince on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Palin Rocks!
She has reaffirmed her status as the front runner.
Oh and Margret Thatcher’s voice wasn’t much better.

Firebird on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Obama sounds like a crackhead.

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM

A crackhead that says Puky-staaaan /sarc

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I guess being a great orator means you have to whistle your S’s…

mjbrooks3 on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

*Awaiting lowandslow’s commentary on that “fictitious pipeline”*

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

coyoterex on June 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM

True; her accent sounds like a standard upper-Midwest one to me. At least she doesn’t have Obama’s whistly s’s and that grating faux black-preacher delivery.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

It’s the way she says it. enough of this folksy crap lower freaking voice.

Oh, for crying out loud, that is so superficial.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM

This is what we need… the real Sarah. When she was running for VP, she had to tow the line with that idiot McCain. If he would have let her be Sarah, they would have beat Obama and we wouldn’t be in this mess. Oh ya, I left out Huckanuts working against her too.

suzyk on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Obama sounds like a crackhead.

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM

He doesn’t sound like any of the crackheads I know. Maybe you just know some more well educated crackheads than I do. lol

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM

yesterday, obama kicks teh gays in the teeth, and today, another palin interview. what a wonderful weekend i am having.

Ghoul aid on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I just can’t stand her voice. Its like nails on a chalkboard.

So…?

I understand the German people found Hitler’s voice quite compelling.

Personally, I’ll take a leader who respects our property rights and the importance of law…regardless of superficial crap like the sound of their voice…over one who DOES NOT.

The dulcet tones of BIG BRO are poison to my ears, and my liberties.

Ragspierre on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM

But it would be protected because of global warming

Vince on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Are the whales going to be endangered? ;)

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Good job, Sarah.

But honestly, Wolf Blitzer should get kudos.

Finally, a journalist who simply asks the questions!

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Depending on his audience, Barry may drop the final “g” on the word “going” or leave it on. More subtle and more effective than Hillary’s fake southern, black accent. He also does it with a few other word, but switching from going to goin’ is the one I notice most.

a capella on June 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I don’t mind her voice at all, but I have heard others say the same thing. One friend of mine had to flip the channel every time she was on. Granted, she is very liberal and didn’t care for her anyway, but she wouldn’t have criticized her voice if it wasn’t really a problem to her. Some voices just have that certain pitch and tone which grate on people.

changer1701 on June 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

She has pulled off the biggest private sector job in the world. And who cares?

Firebird on June 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM

So you think her folksy talk is phony?

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Thanks AP.

bestwins on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

When the Palin bashers have nothing to say, but that they don’t like the sound of her voice, a corner has been turned.

Rebar on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Palin is too strong! I am liking her new approach to answering the questions. If she can pull off some more major steps to the natural gas pipeline she will have major political capital… she can claim it was all done with no taxpayer money and really created wealth and jobs versus the garbage of the left

conservador on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

The counter-argument is this:

When she speaks this way, it’s natural and easy (note her closing to Wolf, that’s not contrived). GWB was also easy to listen to (as said about re: Obama) but after he moved to Washington he altered his regional speech patterns for what he, I assume, thought would be a more vanilla Washingtonian speech pattern. It did not have good results, in fact, as you may recall, the left mocked him as stupid.

I would encourage her, as I would in hindsight GW, to just speak their native tongue.

Spirit of 1776 on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

“Who’s going to pay for this pipeline?”
“The private sector!”

“Offense rather than defense”

the_nile on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

OK, in all fairness to Obama, we don’t really know what “his” accent is.

Everything about him is contrived…

At least he’s not pulling a Hillary:

“Dem dar collaard greens shur is gooood”

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Lest I be accused of be a one-trick pony:

It is easier, to study up and GET SMARTER than it is to not have a PERSONALITY and try to get one.”

Roger Simon

technopeasant on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

That’s just personal. I hate acadamese talk. I was married to one.

*haha

Obama has gotten better, too. He was full of that initially.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM
———————-
do you have anything intelligent to say about Sarah’s
policy statements in the interview or do you just want
to screech about her voice ?

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

changer1701 on June 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Sure she would have. It’s what people go after when they don’t have much else. Does your friend have a problem with Barney Frank’s voice?

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

So you think her folksy talk is phony?

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Actually that was much better. Right there she sound genuine.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I. love. this. woman.

Right on the money, Sarah! Keep it up! ♥

lansing quaker on June 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Wow, is AP becoming a fan? Naa, just throwing us a bone so he can whip out a slam on her later and point back to this thread self-righteously.

conservnut on June 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

“Offense rather than defense”

Oh, yes.

So much for she hasn’t been thinking about strategy.

I think Sarah is a lot more politically intuitive than most give her credit for being.

She’s very interesting. I love Bill C. I think I mention that often.

He sure saw it.

And if he saw it, I took notice.

He said she’s a natural.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

I give no credit to Wolf Blitzed. He treated Governor Palin with respect because he hadn’t been told by the big-eared freak to do otherwise. If she ever even hints at running for national office again, watch the venom drip from Wolf’s fangs. He will obey his lord Obama.

SKYFOX on June 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Didn’t they do something to Hillary’s voice a while back>

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Not bad for a slutty airline stewardess…/s

d1carter on June 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

That’s a hard one… As much as I like ragging on Hillary for her contrived black accent, I’d feel more comfortable speaking my native tongue with my family versus say those that struggle with English (got to speak a little slower and clearer).

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

By the way, her voice gives me a tingle up my leg.

conservnut on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Does your friend have a problem with Barney Frank’s voice?

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

I’d love to hear Terry’s opinion on this!!!

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

do you have anything intelligent to say about Sarah’s
policy statements in the interview or do you just want
to screech about her voice ?

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Aww are you getting upset. Relax, she isn’t ever going to be President. Senator perhaps, but not President. She’s got too much of a sideshow going on to ever be taken seriously again.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Palin shows her wonkiness on energy policy here. She does great. The McCain filter is off of her now, and she has returned to the capable, thoughtful, analytical speaker most recognize from before the election.

’12 is hers if she wants it.

portlandon on June 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I’d love to hear Terry’s opinion on this!!!

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Absolutely he has by far the worst voice of any politician in my lifetime. I can admit that. When will you concede that Palin has a terrible voice?

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM

The media is mixed up. But a commentator who draws OUT information for the public will be the winner.

I’ll tune into him.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM

conservnut on June 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Plus it does help traffic to appease the rubes that occasion this blog. From time to time.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Okay, but I mean, for example, compare GWB in the debates vs. GWB (in style only) as President. At the debates he would derided as the guy voters wanted to have a beer with. That translates to, essentially, someone that could communicate easily and well with people across the spectrum.

Spirit of 1776 on June 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

just keep telling yourself that

joey24007 on June 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

What sideshow? A pedophile half-brother or whatever? An illegal-immigrant aunt? A brother in a hut somewhere in Kenya?

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Terrible? Again, it’s not that bad, but I hope she doesn’t get into Opera.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Sarah Palin will be elected President in 2012. No doubt about it.

davidt on June 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

What does accent have to do with content?

Seriously, you sound neurotic about this.

It’s similar to people making fun of how various politicians look.

So superficial.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

She was fine in the NBC interview.

It was too early in the morning to start the folksy stuff.

TimeTraveler on June 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

She’s got too much of a sideshow going on to ever be taken seriously again.

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM

True , a women defending her daughters wont fit with the appeasement to the new islamic overlords.

the_nile on June 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Thanks AP. Sounds like with more like this even you could become a Palin supporter! And thank you, Sarah! You go, girl.

Christian Conservative on June 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I’d love to hear Terry’s opinion on this!!!

No kidding.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM

When you concede that you can’t argue with her on policy.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

In golfing terms to orchestrate the deal between ECM and TCP is the equivalent of shooting a 59.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL!!!

technopeasant on June 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Spirit of 1776 on June 13, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I know what you’re saying, but there are times when you have to speak more formally or speak in a way that others can understand you…

AND NOOOOO… I am not suggesting speaking down to people, but if you don’t share their accent, then perhaps speak in a more standard manner.

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

^ Nor can Obama. They don’t dare. Thus the Tina Fey caricatures.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Palin can’t run I guess. Her voice is just too annoying and we can’t have that who cares what her policies are.

deidre on June 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Content counts.

Rule of life.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Speaking too fast and too long is probably a residual effect of feeling that she will not be given many chances to respond completely before being cut off or rudely interrupted… can’t imagine why she would think that! Hopefully it will go away if she gets some coaching from a non-RINO mentor for a change.

And if CNN is starting to show signs of allowing non-Democrats to occasionally get a word in edgewise on topics they want to speak on, as opposed to responding to the innuendo of the day, I wonder if maybe Obama has decided the media is saddle-broken, and told the DNC they can stop the payments?

drunyan8315 on June 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

She’s never mentioned Barney Frank, so I don’t know. And normally, if it was any other lib, I’d agree she was just being nit-picky because she didn’t like the person behind the voice. Sure its silly, and I don’t agree-I could listen to Palin all day-but I think it honestly irritated her. Some voices irritate me too, like Frank’s…and Susan Estrich. It has nothing to do with their politics, they just grate on your nerves.

changer1701 on June 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Terry Silver on June 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM
——————-
Her solid policies have you so upset the best you can do is
harp on her voice

meerkat on June 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Sarah has already done what the GOP has failed to do.

She’s cut herself away, defined the differences.

That’s a poltician’s job.

She’s for private sector support. He isn’t.

That WILL be the battle in 2012.

Good job, Sarah.

Now, work on those press releases. Tighten them up.

AnninCA on June 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM

deidre on June 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Didnt stop Hillary Clinton.

William Amos on June 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM

So, the WSJ says we shouldn’t build our own because overseas markets want to import theirs? Gee gollywillackers!

SouthernGent on June 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Her voice and the state of the American Idol Presidency…

mjbrooks3 on June 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM

She never sounds to me like she’s talking down to you. As shown repeatedly yesterday The Messiah’s “Uh, whoever mentioned socializing health care!?” eye-rolling patronizing make-the-idiots believe it wants to make me samsh him in the face.

Marcus on June 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM

She’s great.–I love her voice, I love her style, I love her politics. Grassroots, baby!

bestwins on June 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM

changer1701 on June 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Well, it’s that Sarah Palin irritates her. She could speak like the Queen and it would be the same story.

ddrintn on June 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM

deidre on June 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM

I betcha Hitler thought Churchill’s voice annoying.
He feared it for some strange reason.

the_nile on June 13, 2009 at 1:34 PM