Hot Air joins Troopathon 2009 — and you can, too!

posted at 8:11 am on June 13, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I am thrilled to announce that Hot Air will participate in Troopathon 2009, in two important ways.  First, along with such luminaries as Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Gary Sinise, Kelsey Grammer, Mark Levin, and of course Michelle Malkin, I will appear as a guest on the 8-hour Troopathon broadcast at Ustream on June 25th hosted by Andrew Breitbart and Melanie Morgan.  The star-studded show will get care packages to the troops on the front lines through Move America Forward:

On June 25th, Move America Forward will be holding our 2nd annual “Troop-a-thon” titled “Honor their Service.”

This cutting edge live webcast event brings together talk radio hosts, megastars of film and television, musical guests, journalists, military and Gold-star families, pro-troop groups and many more.

The goal of this charity fundraiser is to send the largest ever shipment of care packages to our brave men and women of the armed forces serving in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Guantanamo Bay.

Viewers are encouraged to sponsor care packages (donations are tax deductible) for the troops and each one includes a personalized message and items that our troops have requested that make their life a little easier while they are far from home, such as sun-screen, Gatorade, deodorant, coffee, cookies and much more.

Not only will I get to make an appearance, I will also lead a blogger team in generating donations of care packages.  Move America Forward has asked four bloggers to captain teams to compete to see who can get the most care packages bought for the men and women overseas.  I’ll captain the Hot Air Steamers, but we have some pretty tough competition:

If you’re a blogger who wants to join my team, just send an e-mail to MAF (the e-mail is at the linked page), download a banner or graphic, and link it to the Steamers’ order page on your blog.  I’ll post about this every day from now until the competition ends on the 25th, and include links to all my team members.  If you don’t have a blog but want to help, please buy a few care packages through the Steamers’ page, and bring some cheer to those who have dedicated themselves to our nation’s service.

We look forward to being of service, and having some fun at the same time — and thank you for your support!

Comments

Torn between HotAir and Jihad Watch

Can we send a care package to a Gitmo soldier, AND Pork Package to a jihadi there?

blatantblue on June 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Time to thank our heros for their service, especially for the indignity of serving under the empty suit in chief.

Right_of_Attila on June 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM

On my husband’s last deployment, he received such a care package, as did all 5,000+ troops aboard the ship (aircraft carrier). He said it was wonderful for morale.

DrMagnolias on June 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM

DrMagnolias on June 13, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I would like to think they are good for morale!

I just wonder how necessary they would be for morale if the entire country stood behind them instead of maybe, idk, half?

You know, the half running around talking about losing and Abu Ghraib.

Having the entire nation stand behind them would be the best care package of all..

blatantblue on June 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Michelle and Melanie were terrific last year.

I will double my contribution this year. It’s our turn to serve those who protect us.

Zorro on June 13, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Torn between HotAir and Jihad Watch

heh, I was thinking the same thing…no law against donating to both for such a great cause.

I can only imagine what simple items we take for granted just around the house…cookies, shaving cream, and the ever-necessary deodorant…can mean so much to a servicemember out in the war zones of Iraq and Afghanistan.

There’s certainly not a Walgreen’s on every corner.

JetBoy on June 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM

blatantblue on June 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Truer words…

DrMagnolias on June 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM

This is so great, I have donated packages through these folks before and I will love to help HA’s team. Thanks organizers.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 8:54 AM

JetBoy on June 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM

And dealing with Desert Spiders, or whatever they are called!

DrMagnolias on June 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM

I guess it’s the problem when combating international terrorism. People don’t really comprehend and understand the threat it actually poses to them personally, so they don’t band together. They see it as some external thing that does not concern them.

How they do that after 9/11, I’ll never know.

blatantblue on June 13, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I think the idea is fantastic. I donated last year but after having seen the expenses of this effort(about 1/3rd of the total take, including over $200,000 in travel) I have decided there has to be a better way.

Sorry but it ends up looking like a government program where a good thing (in this case, supporting the troops) is used to enrich others (someone must be flying first class a lot, plus there’s no reason that expenses should be 1/3rd of the total collected).

katablog.com on June 13, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Ed, so there’s no issue about sending anonymous care packages to troops anymore? Before 9/11, a citizen could address something to “ANY DEPLOYED US SERVICEMEMBER” and it would reach one them. But that practice was cancelled.

Is this coordinated through the USO or some other organization to make sure there are no SNAFU’s getting the stuff to the troops?

Plus some advice for HA readers who particiapte.

- Nothing homemade. Buy stuff that is in a sealed package and leave it sealed. The homemade stuff may not make it through coming from anomynous sources.
- A few item’s Ed overlooked: Baby wipes (desert sand remover), sunglasses, beef jerky, books (nothing heavy, just good escape material), hard candy, gum, toothpaste, dispsosable razors, shaving cream, deck of cards, DVD’s (yes they have TV’s and DVD players over there).
- A hand written note, or a card that show’s real appreciation. Put your name and address on it, and you will probably get a return letter and possibly a pen pal out of it, and then you will have a person you can send individual care packages to on a normal basis. You can ask what they want or need and you can make sure they get it.

This is great Ed, I hope you elaborate on my questions. I want to participate. I had been on the recieving end of such efforts and surely don’t want to miss the chance to be on the giving end. Since retiring from the Corps, I have been sending care packages to people I know personally that were deployed, but that list is getting smaller and smaller, and currently I don’t know anyone personally that is deployed.

Hog Wild on June 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

A hand written note, or a card that show’s real appreciation.

Hog Wild on June 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

When my husband was in Afghanistan, he really loved the letters from children as part of a class project. They were so sweet and innocent–they would sometimes say things like “I hope you don’t get killed,” and you just know the adults would be horrified, but the troops understand the sweetness and sincerity behind it.

DrMagnolias on June 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM

This is a wonderful event for an awesome purpose. I would like to remind everyone, however, that care packages should be (can be) sent year ’round to the troops from a number of great organizations. I wish I could send more…

anysoldier.com

and,

treatsfortroops.com

both offer a very wide variety of options for sending care packages to the troops…

IN ADDITION TO, of course, the MoveAmericaForward organization!

Lourdes on June 13, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Linkage this time:

anysoldier.com

treatsfortroops.com

Lourdes on June 13, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Hog Wild on June 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

You pay the site for the package/s you want to send, provide your address as shipping address (for a number of reasons) and the site sends the package/s to the troops at confidential addresses. The process is bona fide, trustworthy…whatever you purchase, whichever package for the troops you purchase from the site (see the site, there are a variety of packages available), the site then does send to the troops.

Including personal messages if you write them.

Same process is used at other reputable sites, two of which I just listed here (see ^^). Anysoldier.com, for example, offers a specialized gifting process, senders can even select which branch of service to send package/s to, and gender-specific package/s also (for males, others for females, as to personal-care items if that’s the gift that is purchased; other kinds with food stuffs and entertainment and even useful materials are available).

Lourdes on June 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Hog Wild on June 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Link as to “see the site” I was just referring to, this project by MoveAmericaForward, that Ed’s describing here.

thecampaignstore.com

Lourdes on June 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM

ONE THING people aren’t often aware of that many troops really, really value (and need) are those body-wipes (often called “baby wipes”).

You can buy a very large package of them at bulk-shopping stores like Sam’s Club and Costco and they aren’t very expensive but are extremely valued by the troops.

I think I saw on anysoldier.com once that they send out the wipes that are “body sized” or oversized such that troops/anyone can actually clean part of their torso well with one of them, another one for the rest.

Anyway, the “baby wipes” are very much appreciated, so I’ve heard, by the troops.

Lourdes on June 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Lourdes on June 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

It’s good to know what they want, when you aren’t connected you don’t have any real idea but you want to do something. Good information.

Cindy Munford on June 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Hog Wild on June 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Great advice.
My family and I have been doing this for years through “Move America Forward”,”Gathering of Eagles”,and “Blue/Gold star moms”.

I would like to add that the hand held games like electronic poker,yatzee,and black jack..etc…etc. are also very well liked.

books (nothing heavy, just good escape material)

Very good advice.
We stayed away from anything political.
The Soldiers wanted to escape or be brought up to speed on sports and entertainment.

I have had many Soldiers appreciate the hand written notes,cards,and pictures.

Great idea Ed.
We are in.

Baxter Greene on June 13, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Donated last year during the Troopathon. Looking forward to it this year. Steamers all the way, baby.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Hog Wild on June 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I’ve never been in a unit that would accept anonymous packages WH. There have been a few cases where prohibited items like alcohol and other contraband was discovered. In some other cases, well you just don’t want to know what was in the boxes.

You run a very slim chance of your package getting to any soldier if there’s no return address.

Plus, you might just get a nice thank you letter in return.

hawkdriver on June 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM

packages WH….er HW I meant.

hawkdriver on June 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Jihad Watch is participating???? But Spencer is eeeeeviiillllllll!!!!!!!

/CJ

ScottG on June 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Lourdes on June 13, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Ahhh… I see say’s the blind man. Thanks. Will do.

Hog Wild on June 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM

For those of us who have no military exposure, if we buy the larger donation packages, exactly how many do they serve? How big is a company, squad, platoon, brigade? Can anyone fill me in? Thanks

karenhasfreedom on June 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Melanie Morgan was asked on RedEye a couple of weeks ago what was in the packages. She said they were going to send Playboys and whiskey, but the volunteers stole them, so it’s food and other stuff. Note: obviously, she was totally joking. She was really funny.

Sounds like a great project, and I’m in.

juliesa on June 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I love Melanie Morgan. A true American patriot.

OmahaConservative on June 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I can’t tell you what a morale booster it was to get “care packages” when I was deployed in “Desert Shield/Storm.” The “any servicemember” letters were great, unfortunately, that’s been banned now. But I’m behind this 100% Goodonya!!

E9RET on June 13, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Wow, people! OUTSTANDING!

/crisp salute

dogsoldier on June 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Just finished watching “The Patriot” Mel Gibson. Every member of the Senate and Congress should be required to watch it once a year! How soon we forget.
You know…On Memorial Day I watched the show ”Hal~lowed Grounds” on PBS which covered Amer.ican soldiers who died and were buried abroad while serving their country and fighting to preserve liberty around the world. This docu.mentary visits 22 World War I and II mi.litary ceme.teries in eight nations. What struck me was the Nations that took their school children to visit these cemeteries so they would never forget what America did for them! Then I watched our President lay the wreath on the To.mb of The Unk~nown and what do we see…People walking through the camera frame during the moment of silence, people sitting on the step while everyone else was saluting the Co.lors as they were presented! America had best wake up and start teaching our History and proper flag etiquette. Guess I’ll have to buy the DVD so I can watch the Dutch sing the Star Span.gled Ban.ner and HO~NOR our men and women who sacr.ificed their all so they could be free! Just saying…. As A Veteran of this Great Country and the father of an active duty soldier I find this very disturbing!

Eagles Dominion on June 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM

During our Transfer of Authority (TOA) ceremony here in RC South, Afghanistan last month, the Dutch Commander gave a very moving speech about how much they still appreciate and remember the Americans who fought and died to liberate them. He was even kidding that his Mom was 19 at the time and probably was quite taken by the dashing American soldiers. His speech was funny, entertaining, most mostly very inspiring.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2009 at 1:01 AM