Bill Maher to Obama: Get off the TV and socialize this country, darn it

posted at 1:55 pm on June 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via RCP, a video version of his op-ed in yesterday’s LA Times that proves it’s A-OK in Hollywood to attack The One so long as you’re attacking from the left. Five minutes is a long time to endure smugness this thick but force yourself through it, as I think it represents a tipping point: When even a media whore as whorish as Maher is telling Obama he’s overexposed, he’s overexposed.

Pity poor Captain Legthrill next to him, forced to sit through such extended blasphemy. Exit question: Is Maher still calling himself a libertarian these days? He’s less laissez faire than Andrew Sullivan is conservative.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama’s narcissism makes him incapable of stepping out of the spotlight. Moreover, it’s a great way to cover up incompetence, although pretty soon even the Obamabots are going to want some steak with that sizzle.

As things get worse we will probably get even more of this with Castro-like three hour speeches or a two day TV show ala Hugo Chavez. Like them, mesmerizing but empty and dishonest rhetoric is the only talent he’s got.

As for Maher, his monologue contained rants against banks, insurance companies, deregulation and “tax cuts for the rich”. If he’s a libertarian, then I’m the Queen of England.

RadClown on June 13, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts. My link below got cut off.

I think this is classic. Liberals attacking liberals. Although, I do agree with Maher slightly in that having any overexposure to the President does diminish the office.

I’ve got a blog up where I comment on these and other things. Check it out here

mncons72 on June 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM

mncons72 on June 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Cute dog

Upstater85 on June 13, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Some of his jabs about Obama’s whoring in front of the media were mildly amusing. One of the lines Mahar said in the video is that we have to reduce carbon DIOXIDE by 40%? What? Pray tell me how are the plants supposed to breathe? Carbon DIOXIDE is their oxygen, so to speak. They need us to emit carbon DIOXIDE so they can breathe and we need them to do their photosynthesis thing so we get new oxygen. Did all of these environmental whackos skip biology class in 10th grade?

karenhasfreedom on June 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Maher is an idiot. What really disturbs me is that he and Olbermann have a built in audience of people they can sell half-baked truths and outright falsehoods to.

I’m all for a vibrant strain of liberalism in this country, but it MUST be grounded in some intellecual thoughts that have some logic to them and take account of our Founding Values. Proposing things that deliberately destroy the fabric of our country to achieve their goals is not the way it should be done.

Unfortunately, as long as Maher/Maddow/Olbermann and others can get away with putting their junk out there, it is going to be an uphill battle.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Yeah. Katia is cute, but she does know how to let others know when she’s had enough. Believe me, we both have. Time to stand up and take the country back, one person at a time.

mncons72 on June 13, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I don’t know what Maher said because I refuse to listen to idiots.I do think that Obama should spend even more time media-whoring.He should be on T.V.,radio,in the papers,Us magazine,People magazine,needs a few more Time and Newsweek covers way more than he has been up till now.By 2012,eveybody in the country will be so sick of his lousy voice and his B.S. that he won’t be able to win the Dhimmicrat Primary.More,more more Obama.Of course I personally won’t be listening,since I was sick of his sorry sh** the first time I heard him.

DDT on June 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM

sad thing is that the Zero will probably take Maher’s advice.

poppieseeds on June 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM

He mentioned something about the health care initiative failing already in congress…dear goodness, one can only HOPE.

Personally, I love it that this guy is creepy enough to rival 3rd world dictators in screentime hours. For gosh’ sake, like we want him actually DOING anything else. He is starting look like the fraud he is.

On a related note: what about our constitution do liberals not understand? He is railing against Booooosh for breaking laws and shredding the constitution (can someone show me how he did this, by the way?)..but…isn’t SOCIALISM exactly OPPOSED to our entire constitution? Tell me if I am wrong.

Mommypundit on June 13, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Noam Chomsky calls himself libertarian, so you shouldn;t worry about that.

promachus on June 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Allah,

If you insist on giving equal time threads to the left to offset the wonderful Cuda threads you post, well…I…uh…um….

I’m on board. Go Cuda.

Sapwolf on June 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I’ve thought about the elementism of the left and how biased they are against CO2 and how they hate plants.

It’s too bad plants can’t vote because if they could, it would put the GOP back in power and we’d stop the madness.

The only problem is that they’d start screaming for subsidized CO2 and healthcare and other plant welfare.

Sapwolf on June 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I wonder if it ever entered Bill Maher’s mind that if he, with his genius IQ (in his opinion anyway), was wrong about Obama being a celebrity and McCain and us dumb rednecks were right, that its possible that there is something else he is equally wrong about? Somehow I doubt it.

Speedwagon82 on June 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Who’s your Daddy on the teleprompter cracked me up.

longfeet on June 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM

You could see Chris Matthews remembering the night Obama told him that, then laughing to cover up his dismay that the precious moment was scripted.

econavenger on June 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Media Whore, heal thyself!

SuperCool on June 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I don’t know if there was something good at the end. Once he got to “this is not what I voted for”, I knew where it was going and couldn’t stomach it anymore…
What did I miss?…

ChristianRock on June 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Audacity of Obsequiousness

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 13, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Throw reform down the throats of Republicans??? What is he on crack? I don’t see any republicans in the congress! Obama doesn’t even have any legitimate opposition. He could walk into congress and say, “So what are we going to pass today?”

LordJack on June 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Rethuglicans will lose the health care debate because the status-quo is currently unacceptable. They had eight years to reform health care and they didn’t. They for the dems to run their experiment

equality on June 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM

So much crap here, it’s hard to know where to start.

Rethuglicans

Not realy original, are we?

the status-quo is currently unacceptable.

I’ll stick with the best health care in the world, thanks. Remember, Ontario just set a goal of keeping ER response down below 8 hours in a critical care situation. See, if you need to set that as a goal, it means you’re not there yet. It’s worse than 8 hours; far worse.

They had eight years to reform health care and they didn’t.

Hostile opposition in congress. Not eight years, six. If reforming health care was a democratic priority, why didn’t they do it in 2007/2008, when they had regained majority control?

They Time for the dems to run their experiment

I don’t want to be “experimented” on, thanks. With my money. At the risk of bankrupting the country.

massrighty on June 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM

For the life of me, I don’t understand why this rat faced ass is still on TV.

Star20 on June 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM

For the life of me, I don’t understand why this rat faced ass is still on TV.

Star20 on June 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM

He’s on cable. You actually have to pay to watch this raving insanity and listen to his auditory diarrhea.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Re: Libertarianism, Maher, Chomsky, and assorted idiots.

A “Big Tent” is all well and good, but exercise some control over what comes in, or you’ll end up like the Libertarians (I still am one in spirit though I can no longer be in fact): Driven over the edge by an influx of radical leftists (they side with Libertarians in wanting to tear down useless institutions, fidder in that they want to replace them with even bigger blunders), nihilists, Troofers, et al.

Find an archive of Libertarian websites from, say, 1998. Compare and contrast. It ain’t what it used to be.

Merovign on June 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Maher is not a libertarian.

WisCon on June 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Maher and Keith 0greman battle it out daily for the title of biggest psuedo-intellectual in America.

Lou Budvis on June 13, 2009 at 6:18 PM

For the life of me, I don’t understand why this rat faced ass is still on TV.

Star20 on June 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM

It’s a cruel kind of calculus; they multiply how hip and edgy they think he is by the number of viewers they delude themselves into thinking he brings in, and divide the resultant by whatever they pay him. Then, they add in the damage they percieve he does to anyone of a conservative nature.

Bizarro-world math.

massrighty on June 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I’m shocked that Maher is shocked to find that BO is just another politician.

To his credit, at least he is ahead of the curve. It is going to take years for average BO voter to come to the same realization. That Obama is no agent of change. Just your typical politician with a celebrity complex.

BobbyDank on June 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM

It is amazing how many so-called libertarians actually turn out to be socialists. We have a guy in Austion radio that claims to be libertarian as well, but he loves social programs too — Jeff Ward (klbj am).

flapjack on June 13, 2009 at 6:31 PM

How much oxygen did it take to revive Chrissie Matthews after that? He must still be out.

Jdripper on June 13, 2009 at 6:31 PM

If Obama’s infatuation with the camera is starting to chafe to such a degree that even a cheerleader like Maher feels empowered to openly ridicule him, then you know Obama is a hopeless diva.

He’s a diva with a very successful run, but eventually every show stops drawing an audience.

cruadin on June 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM

For the life of me, I don’t understand why this rat faced ass is still on TV.

Star20 on June 13, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I won’t click on the video. I already know the sort of mindless drivel that comes out of his filthy mouth, and the thought of looking at this ugly little gnome for 5 minutes is more than I can stomach.

How is it this repulsive creature still has a career? He’s not funny, he’s not smart, he’s not entertaining, and he’s downright painful to look at. He must have some incredibly good dirt on somebody powerful at HBO, or whatever cable channel his show is on.

AZCoyote on June 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM

The only good socialist is one in the process of hanging by the neck until dead.

Remember that.

Spiritk9 on June 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

DDT on June 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I’m with you. I want him so overexposed that he has trouble filling up a high school lunchroom when he jumps back on the campaign trail for 2012. Why would anyone get in their car and go hear him speak when they can turn on the television at any hour of any day. And this will be the most ironic part of the complicit media.

sherry on June 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM

If loving the sound of one’s own voice were an Olympic event, this wanker could even give Olbermann a run for his money.

Alalazoo on June 13, 2009 at 7:35 PM

I smell real fear by the Left,and I thought Bill
Clinton was on tv 24/7,back when!!

It is interesting,where the Left,are now starting
to ask,when will there be change,as promised by
Team Hopey,instead of daily tv pandering,and more
words from Obama!!

canopfor on June 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Lets see Hmmmm A Bill Maher,Isnt that a Bug or is it a Bird? No its a Socialist Commie with anti-American Intent!I was surprised though to see this video and hearing the once again white noise of the commie socialist heckler…

Roadking85 on June 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Maher can always move back to Canada if the USA is not socialist enough for him. He is a Canuck isn’t he?

Terrye on June 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Sorry Terrye, Canada will take responsibility for a dork like David Frum, but not Maher.

dave c on June 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Maher is bitter because Jon Stewart hijacked his career. Maher would be Stewart if there was no Stewart.

BHO Jonestown on June 13, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Why isn’t this butt wipe on Obama’s cabinet?

Cybergeezer on June 13, 2009 at 8:26 PM

This is the looniest leftwing guy, but he at least he sees the obvious! Face-time keeps the polls up; more fluff-pieces on the dog, kids, Michelle’s arms and selfless service will keep the people asleep. Stealth politics, Alinsky-style.

Also – Maher admits he wants the country to be socialist. Honesty from the left – imagine!! /sarc

DINORight on June 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM

At least we know when Hef finally dies Maher will implode and blow away in the wind.

faol on June 13, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Maher is just confused because Dear Leader said in Cairo that he was not going to impose his will on any nation. It was a very bad thing to do! Dear Leader will not go back on his promises. Insert eye rolling here.

Maher might want to look at what happened to the IG at Ameri-Corp, and Lauria being labeled a terrorist. Even Democrats can be victims of Dear Leader. Just ask those at GM, and Chrysler.

freeus on June 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Obama certainly needs intervention . . . he spends more time on TV than a test pattern. Furthermore, he really needs to stop screwing up prime time broadcasting.

rplat on June 13, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Maher is a greazy slime-ball reprobate with a cable tv show from which he can broadcast his asinine screed every week to his asinine worshippers.

Nothing he has to say interests me in the very least.

SilverStar830 on June 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Bill is a idiot! I cannot stomach his a**. Had to turn video off before I puked.

sheebe on June 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Who the hell watches his show anyway? What, does he have an audience of a dozen potheads or something? I have boycotted HBO a long time ago.

Now, Penn and Teller’s “Bullsh!t” is good (on Showtime). I love them, and will continue to support their show. But Maher is a turd that should have been flushed a long time ago.

ErinF on June 13, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Exit question: Is Maher still calling himself a libertarian these days?

From what I can tell, Maher is libertine regarding his own behaviour and wanting govt out of that. Beyond that he’s no libertarian.

aikidoka on June 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Obama simply should have gone into show business. He would have made even more money than he is now (if that’s even possible); he would feed his immense ego; he would get all kinds of attention; he could walk red carpets till his twiggy legs fell off; he could mix n mingle with the “beautiful people”; he could win sparkly golden colored awards; he wouldn’t have to connive and manipulate populations every minute of the day; and last but not least, America would be safer than when it’s under his control.

Go away obama. Join the hollyweird elite.

I heard obama has some massive book deal going on as I speak. Is this even legal??? Remember the dimrats being up in arms over Newt Gingrich having a book deal making a few measly thousand dollars profit while in office? I guess they don’t have a problem with obama making millions doing the same thing. The b@st@rd.

ErinF on June 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Why are there so many history ignorant people in America to think that Obama is doing the right things? Everywhere in history where they’ve tried things Obama is doing has failed… Reagan’s less government and less taxes worked. These people don’t care about helping America, they only want to keep power. Best way to keep power is become the hand that feeds.

ironmonk on June 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM

equality on June 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Let’s get one thing clear: the “debate” is not about health CARE. We have the best health care in the world and it is available to everybody, regardless of ability to pay. The debate is about health INSURANCE. Because 15% of the population does not carry health insurance, including an untold percentage of illegal aliens, BO wants to punish the other 85% and make the government the health insurer for everyone and we will all be paying a fortune for it. You’d better hope the Republicans win this debate, bucko. Because if the day comes that Nanny Pelosi is your “insurer of choice” you can kiss your health care goodbye.

winfield on June 13, 2009 at 11:32 PM

…Because if the day comes that Nanny Pelosi is your “insurer of choice” you can kiss your health care goodbye.

Yeah. Nothing like being told that because you’re 70 years old and a white veteran, you’ll have to take a back seat to some illegal alien to get your chemo.

obama voters are idiots… dumb as freakin’ stumps!

ErinF on June 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM

You know what’s funny? Obama chided the Republicans for listening to Rush Limbaugh, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to know he listens religiously to this clown – oh, and Jeremiah Wright too.

Joe Pyne on June 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Nope. Ain’t gonna listen to Maher. He sucks.

atheling on June 14, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Bill Maher, get off the TV and go take care of your mother instead of abandoning her while she is ill you scumbag.

nelsonknows on June 14, 2009 at 2:07 AM

The clip’s only 30 seconds if you cut out the parts where he stops to laugh at his own jokes.

Ronnie on June 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM

This is my first post on Hotair! I kept on missing the registration even though I am a loyal reader; (I check out this wonderful site at least 10-15 times during the day.) This performance by Bill “smirk-in-a-suit” Maher is a prime example of what’s wrong in this country. He spent 6 years ridiculing, (in the most demeaning fashion,) George H. Bush for his “arrogance,” his “swaggering,” and his “war-mongering;” and then promoted with unflinching exuberance our one “true Messiah” only to realize that he is also, indeed, an arrogant, war-mongering, and swaggering “leader of the free world” himself. This kind of hubris is generally only found in Greek Mythology.

libertarianator on June 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM

While I’m sure my first post will be scrutinized extensively by the Hotair personnel to make sure I’m not a troll, I’d like to say that Bill “politically correct” is not in fact anything close to a libertarian. His views and opinions come directly from the liberal playbook.

libertarianator on June 14, 2009 at 7:20 AM

The major difference between libertarians and “liberaltarians,” (like our favorite “Real Time” host is that true libertarians believe all people should be allowed to voice their opinions; no matter how repugnant they may be. Liberaltarians of the same ilk as Bill “politically correct” Maher believe that opinions only matter when they are the same as his. Like the old joke goes “Democrats will fight to the death for your right to agree with them!”

libertarianator on June 14, 2009 at 7:41 AM

In addition to Obama. I’m tired of seeing Bill Maher every couple of days. He’s not smart,he’s not funny. He’s a zero.

Jeff from WI on June 14, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Maher a Libertarian? I’m a Libertarian, you know, socially liberal and conservative with everything else, and above all strict adherence to the Constitution of the United States.

Maher is a wannabe Commie, he’s no Libertarian…….

adamsmith on June 14, 2009 at 8:00 AM

What annoys me most about Bill Maher is that he used to be funny. When “Politically Incorrect” was on comedy central way back in the day it truly was a good show. He and the “panel” would bring up good points and differing views. When he moved to ABC his liberal bias started showing in the guests he booked and the topics discussed; however the show was still entertaining. It was (as I observed) in 1999, shortly after the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky erupted that his show became completely one-sided. Not only was, according to Maher, the entire scandal “all about sex,” but any condemnation against the left boiled down to, again according to Bill “smirk” Maher, (and Hillary Clinton,) a “vast right wing conspiracy.” The fact that he lied under oath and conspired to, (or was at least a party to,) commit obstruction of justice was in their eyes completely irrelevant. Now last time I looked both were federal crimes and carried stiff fines as well as jail time. Bill Clinton neither payed any fines nor spent any time in jail for these federal crimes. Bill Maher applauded these decisions. In his mind a political crime can only be committed by a person of the opposite political persuasion, i.e. a republican/conservative. Truly a “liberal” (not as defined by Webster’s,) point of view.

libertarianator on June 14, 2009 at 8:11 AM

LMAO. I doubt Maher knows what the meaning of the word libertarian is. I could take a picture of my dog looking that up in the dictonary and put it on my blog. Check it out, by the way .

Matter of fact… That picture might get some laughs…

In all seriousness, I doubt many Americans know that progressivism has infected BOTH parties to such an extent that the old values that both major parties were started on and their links to the Founding Fathers were severed long ago.

Want to fix what is wrong with the country, let’s all remember what Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, Adams, Washington, Burr and others wrote and spoke out about. Even old-style liberalism had some unique values that we would call CONSERVATIVE!!!

Progressive thinking is a rot that will destroy all societies because it removes the individual incentive to improve your lot in life and pursue a profit motive. Once that’s gone, well, there goes the rest of the house of cards…

mncons72 on June 14, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Received this from a family member yesterday. Don’t know if the author at the bottom of this is the actual author; just know I like the vibe of the message…

Dear American liberals, leftists, social progressives, socialists, Marxists and Obama supporters, et al:

We have stuck together since the late 1950′s, but the whole of this latest election process has made me realize that I want a divorce. I know we tolerated each other for many years for the sake of future generations, but sadly, this relationship has run its course. Our two ideological sides of America cannot and will not ever agree on what is right so let’s just end it on friendly terms. We can smile and chalk it up to irreconcilable differences and go our own way. Here is a model separation agreement:

Our two groups can equitably divide up this country by landmass each taking a portion. That will be the difficult part, but I am sure our two sides can come to a friendly agreement. After that, it should be relatively easy! Our respective representatives can effortlessly divide other assets since both sides have such distinct and disparate
tastes.

We don’t like redistributive taxes so you can keep them. You are welcome to the liberal judges and the ACLU. Since you hate guns and war, we’ll take our firearms, the cops, the NRA and the military. You can keep Oprah, Michael Moore and Rosie O’Donnell (You are, however, responsible for finding a bio-diesel vehicle big enough to move all three of them).

We’ll keep the capitalism, greedy corporations, pharmaceutical companies, Wal-Mart and Wall Street.. You can have your beloved homeboys, hippies and illegal aliens. We’ll keep the hot Alaskan hockey moms, greedy CEO’s and rednecks. We’ll keep the Bibles and give you NBC and Hollywood .

You can make nice with Iran and Palestine and
we’ll retain the right to invade and hammer places that threaten us. You can have the peaceniks and war protesters.

When our allies or our way of life are under assault, we’ll help provide them security. We’ll keep our Judeo-Christian values.. You are welcome to Islam, Scientology, Humanism and Shirley McClain. You can also have the U.N.. but we will no longer be paying the bill.

We’ll keep the SUVs, pickup trucks and oversized luxury cars. You can take every Volkswagon you can find.

We’ll keep The Battle Hymn of the Republic and the National Anthem. I’m sure you’ll be happy to substitute Imagine, I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing, Kum Ba Ya or We Are the World.

We’ll practice trickle down economics and you can give trickle up poverty your best shot. Since it often so offends you, we’ll keep our history, our name and our flag.

Sincerely,

John J.
Wall
Law Student and an American

P.S. Also,
please take Barbara Streisand & Jane Fonda with
you.

Keemo on June 14, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Maher doesn’t seem to understand how the new regime is designed to work. Obama’s Czars run the gubmit for him. That’s what they’re put there to do. That frees up Obama to be the Community Organizer in Chief, the Alinsky mouthpiece, the TOTUS as rock star. Obama’s job is to stir the pot.

petefrt on June 14, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Keemo on June 14, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Telling it like it is.
Great post Keemo.
I am sure Maher would not understand a word of it.

He’s less laissez faire than Andrew Sullivan is conservative.

Maher is to pathetic to watch.
He obviously was picked on a lot as a kid and laughed at ruthlessly while in the showers after gym.

This guy never has any real answers or solutions and is pretty much relegated to ignorant,narcissistic snark,because he is not smart enough for independent,objective,informed commentary on today’s issues.
Maher is pretty much the video feed of a huffington post comment section.
Mindless blather.

Baxter Greene on June 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Thanks Baxter! According to Rove, the left can also have Maureen Dowd as part of the divorce agreement…

Former White House adviser Karl Rove went on the attack against New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, calling her a “nasty, snarky person.”

“I think Maureen Dowd is a bitter, twisted, deranged columnist for the New York Times who misses no opportunity to show her disdain for the conservative side of the aisle,” Rove said on Fox News Channel on Wednesday.

“This is a dour, downbeat liberal.”

Rove’s remarks came in response to a column Dowd wrote about President Barack Obama’s leisure activities since entering the White House, including his recent trip to New York with his wife Michelle.

“Some respite from the pressure is clearly a healthy thing,” Dowd wrote.

“Not as much respite as [President George W. Bush] took, bicycling and vacationing through all the disasters that President Obama is now stuck fixing — spending a total of 490 days in the tumbleweed isolation of Crawford and rarely deigning to sightsee as he traveled the world.”

Rove called the shot at Bush “typical of Maureen Dowd’s twisted, bitter little heart. I admire her writing, but she is a very nasty, snarky person.”

Keemo on June 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM

“I want him so overexposed that he has trouble filling up a high school lunchroom when he jumps back on the campaign trail for 2012.”

What makes you think he will ever get OFF the “campaign trail”? It’s all this empty suit knows.

bradley11 on June 14, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Exit answer: You mean this self-indulgent, whiny bigot is still on the air?

locomotivebreath1901 on June 14, 2009 at 9:38 AM

From powerlineblog.com

On Friday, President Obama had this to say about the election in Iran:

We are excited to see what appears to be a robust debate taking place in Iran. Whoever ends up winning the election in Iran, the fact there has been a robust debate hopefully will advance our ability to engage them in new ways.

This was an extremely foolish comment for at least two reasons. First, the debate in Iran was circumscribed. The candidates were screened by the mullahs. Four were permitted to run; hundreds were deemed insufficiently in tune with the “Revolution.” And there appars to have little or no debate on the issue of primary concern to the U.S. — Iran’s nuclear program. Ahmadinejad’s main rival, Mir-Hossein Moussavi, was in full agreement with the regime on this matter.

Second, there was always a strong possibility of election fraud. Robust debate, even had it existed, would be meaningless in the face of a fraudulent election. Thus, Obama should not have lauded the election, much less characterized it as advancing our ability to engage Iran in new ways, until he was satisfied that the election was honest. A fraudulent election in which the existing, intransigent regime claims a landslide victory will not advance our ability to engage in Iran in new ways.

A day later, it seems clear that the election was fraudulent. U.S. officials have said as much off-the-record. They find it “not credible” that Mousavi would have lost the balloting in his hometown or that a third candidate, Mehdi Karoubi, would have received less than 1 percent of the total vote.

So Obama has praised an election that appears to have been a travesty. It’s difficult to see how either Iran’s rulers or its dissidents can view him as other than a fool — usefully so in the case of the rulers; criminally so in the case of the dissidents.

A dangerously naive empty suit indeed…

Keemo on June 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Hey Maher, you’re so anxious to live in a Socialistic society?

Why don’t you take your assclown class act to Venezuela then, where you can bask in the glory of socialism at it’s absolute zenith.

And that is not being stated in a kind way.

pilamaye on June 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM

So Obama has praised an election that appears to have been a travesty.

Why wouldn’t he praise it? He knows all about it, having already benefited from one of those here in America. All that was missing in Iran was ACORN and a few black panthers threatening “whitey”.

bigjmantx on June 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM

The thing with the big media is that when aggressive people on the right (Rush, etc.) criticize Obama, they’re just brushed off by the reporters and editors and being right-wing haters. But when criticism comes from the left by people like Maher that the press isn’t holding Barack’s feet to the fire enough on his promises to go even further left than he has now, that actually will spark a round of introspection from the same media types that they are being too conservative, hard as that is to believe.

(My guess is if enough people pick up the tone Maher, Rosanne and Maddow have already tried to set on TV, radio and in Bill’s L.A. Times op-ed piece, you’ll be seeing a roundtable on one of the Sunday shows by next week on “Is the media not holding Obama to his promises?”, as if, with the polls showing falling support for what he’s done already, the public is clammoring for him to move even further left on foreign and domestic policies).

jon1979 on June 14, 2009 at 10:20 AM

And what jobs are Maher and Matthews vying for under Obama’s new group the “Anti-American Socialist Service” (An ASS), Chief Propagandist or Chief ASS Kisser.

MSGTAS on June 14, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I can’t believe somebody as bright as Steve Allen picked a yutz like this to be his protege. I hope he gets a job as a radio talk show host on Air Venezuela.

kingsjester on June 14, 2009 at 10:49 AM

who cares what this washed up whore says anyway. Go rent the movie this creep made and pour youself some more kool-aid

bluegrass on June 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Screw this egotist worthless ass/hole!
The day I try to express how much I despise this man and the rest of that Hollywood scum will be my last day on HA.

try again later on June 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

For once in my life I agree with Bill Maher.

Is it too soon to have Obama Fatigue?

ChrisB on June 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Maher is a libertine, not a libertarian.

atheling on June 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM

There is no way I’m gonna watch anything featuring BM (very appropriate initials, no?), Bathtuboy or the Thriller.
BTW, has anyone noticed how the AP is saying that Letterman the crapweasel’s behavior might lead to a ratings bonanza?

* spit *

least1 on June 14, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I am sorry, I cannot do it. I got to the “insurance companies running the show” line and had to stop.

His clarion call for socialized medicine means this prick doesn’t have to pay for his staffs health care bill from his production budget and he gets to keep the change. (Did I just type the word change and it meant something?)

So no, sorry man, can’t watch it much further than that. I just ate lunch and it was making me nauseous.

JP1986UM on June 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Man this guy is just itching to live in socialist chains!

paraff on June 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Bill Maher-Advanced thinking.

diogenes on June 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Maher is a libertine, not a libertarian.

atheling on June 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM

yep, so is Allah though on some issues though.

Calling something “Freedom” and actual Freedom are often two very different things.

jp on June 15, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Even here in Kansas, conservatives are being silenced.

check it out.