Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on June 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, the Obama administration and the State Department committed a gobsmackingly amateurish blunder by failing to consult the British before dumping four Uighurs from Gitmo onto Bermuda — which the British have to secure. But Obama himself committed another amateurish blunder with another ally by releasing a photo of himself talking on the phone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu … and sending a regional insult along with it:

After the shoe-throwing incident in Baghdad last year with George Bush, can any American say they’re not familiar with the regional insult of showing one’s soles to another person? Even without the explicitly insult of the soles of his shoes, it certainly doesn’t look like Obama is working very hard on this phone call with Bibi, anyway. Did Bush ever release a photo of himself talking on the phone with any world leader with his shoes up on the desk, instead of a more engaged — and professional — image?

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at [email protected] with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You can take the crackhead out of the ghetto, but you’ll never get the ghetto out of the crackhead.

Alden Pyle on June 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM

“Look how cool I am. I can chat casually with world leaders as if we’re just planning a golf outing.”

HotWeaver on June 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM

HotWeaver on June 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM

At this point, I’d be surprised if that wasn’t exactly what they were discussing.

Blacksmith on June 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM

He’s a jerk.

Alana on June 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Way to respect the office, Barry.

FAIL.

RedNewEnglander on June 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Intentional insult to Isreali’s. Worse, inadvertant insult to Americans.

bitsy on June 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I guess this will be part of the training program geared at helping people understand the corporate environment.

djaymick on June 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM

What a jerk; and way to respect the office (both offices, too, including Netanyahu’s).
+10 Alana & RedNewEnglander.

andycanuck on June 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I was reminded more of the famous Adlai Stevenson photo than the Bush shoe-toss incident. So I went to the Google image search and typed “Bush feet on desk”

In just two pages there was a photo of the former president with his feet on the desk during an office meeting [at a blog complaining that such images have been removed from the public archives as a CYA measure]. There was another photo of Bush obviously enjoying a light-hearted phone call, although it’s not clear with whom. Still, it’s a less-than-Presidential image of him while at work.

My opinion of the amateurism involved here is not that it reflects on President Obama, but on the White House staff that authorized the release of the photo. Regardless of Islamic sensibilities involving shoe soles, the photo itself projects an unprofessional image.

That happens to be the complaint of the liberal blogger– that unprofessional images of Bush were tossed. The present WH staff had better start to do what what all the others have done, too; protect the image of their boss.

BTW, the same page of the Google search has another photo of Mr. Obama with his feet on a desk while on the phone. I leave it to others to repeat my search with Obama in place of Bush as the keyword.

Meanwhile, can we get back to discussing the gigantic wasting of taxpayer dollars that the Obama Presidency is really all about?

lgdaub on June 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM

At least he has the jacket and tie on. Just trying to find some good out of this administration.

DrM2B on June 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Thank you and I could have expected it from you, Ed!

When I first saw this pic yesterday, the first thing I wondered was if there was not a single WH staffer who could wonder aloud in a meeting if this was the way we want to portray any POTUS, but especially our POTUS?

ElRonaldo on June 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Well, to tell ya the truth, I’m not exactly sure WHO he was talking to.

GWB respecting “the people’s property”

skylark on June 13, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Just another day at the office. That’s the image I want in my head when I think of my President at work.
Totally disengaged with the job at hand…casual…unconcerned…too cool for school.
God help us…save us from this Marxist child.
I know…God helps them what helps themselves. I’m doing my best to get people I know who worship the One to take their blinders off.
Read Mark Levins Liberty and Tyranny. Arm yourself with the facts. Truth is a hard thing to defeat.

Army Brat on June 13, 2009 at 2:31 AM