Democrats use intimidation tactics on lobbyists, witnesses

posted at 12:55 pm on June 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Two reports from Washington DC demonstrate the level of bipartisanship we have gotten from full Democratic control of the federal government.  First, The Hill reports that Rep. Edward Markey demanded a FERC investigation into a business run by a witness scheduled to testify to Congress against Markey’s cap-and-trade legislation:

Energy panel Republicans are levying accusations of witness intimidation against Democratic Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), one of the key authors of the contentious House climate change bill.

Republicans have seized on a letter – a copy of which was obtained by The Hill – that Markey penned to Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Chairman Jon Wellinghoff asking FERC to investigate the actions of a major energy company on the same day that the company’s CEO was set to testify before the energy panel on the dangers of a carbon cap and trade system. …

GOP sources confirmed that Republicans reacted furiously when they saw that the letter was sent the very same day that MidAmerican’s CEO, David L. Sokol, was testifying as a Republican witness before Markey’s subcommittee.

Once upon a time, we used to call that abuse of power and corruption.  Now we just call it Hope and Change.  Markey should get removed from Congress for threatening to abuse prosecutorial powers of the federal government in order to silence a witness before Congress.  That won’t happen as long as Nancy Pelosi is in charge of the House, but this should be Exhibit A for the Republicans in 2010.

Nor are those tactics limited to just the one Democratic policy priority.  They’re strong-arming lobbyists on the health-care reform bill, too, according to Congressional Quarterly:

Health care lobbyists met Thursday with Senate Republicans despite what some characterized as warnings from Democratic staffers against undermining overhaul legislation.

Democratic leaders denied discouraging participation in talks as health care legislation takes shape, citing committee meetings with Republican lawmakers and sessions with industry advocates, such as one Thursday at the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.

But attendees at a June 10 meeting with top Democratic aides described apparent warnings about participating in two meetings with Republicans on Thursday. One meeting included Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Jon Kyl of Arizona and John Thune of South Dakota, and the other was with GOP leadership staffers.

Those apparent warnings came from Russell W. Sullivan, the Finance Committee staff director, and Jonathan G. Selib, chief of staff to Finance Chairman Max Baucus , D-Mont., according to a Democratic lobbyist who was among those cautioned about Thursday’s Republican meetings.

The lobbyist said that he didn’t feel threatened — “not at all” — but that there was a general message that working with Republicans would be a “hostile act.” … Another participant in the June 10 meeting said he also felt discouraged from working with Republicans.

Remember when Barack Obama promised to change the way Washington works?  He has — for the worse.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Riding along on an Obama screwousel
He’s trying to put the screws to all of you
Riding along on an Obama screwousel
Will he be able to put the screws to you

Markey’s cooruption is a racing
And witnesses he is a chasing
So near yet still a ways away
On an Obama screwousel, on an Obama screwousel

Nearer, nearer by breaking so many laws
Still a ways away
People fighting for their constitution
Just get in the way

Round and round and round and round and round
And round and round and round with you
Up, down, up, down, up, down too

MB4 on June 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM

And your point? It can get reported till the cows come home and pigs fly, but nothing will happen. Kind of like the Pelosi scandal and the “CIA are liars”.

Kind of disappeared from the news, now didn’t it.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Knucklehead on June 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM

My point… I am shocked that reporters still bother to report any of this stuff. It goes nowhere (MSM) and only about 50,000 really care about it.

myrenovations on June 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I think Ronald reagan said it best, “A communist is someone who has read Lenin and Marx. An anti-communist is someone who understands Lenin and Marx.”

I miss President Reagan. Very much.

redwhiteblue on June 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Lizza is in a tizza.

Jim Treacher on June 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Curiously, there has been no mention of these events on Headline News.

Wait till they start passing regulations targeted at punishing Ford. Oh, the hue and cry you’ll never hear a whimper of when that happens!

Barneys Bullet on June 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I must add that the statute that the prosecutor used to force Bill to testify was lobbied for, and eventually signed by Clinton himself.

MarkTheGreat on June 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

No matter, he was still held by his defenders to be above the law, solely because of what he lied about.

Of course, he re-defined what he lied about as well.

“A lie isn’t a lie, if you believe it”

George Costanza

Del Dolemonte on June 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Lizza is a new troll, correct?

MarkABinVA on June 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM
correct.

upinak on June 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM
From the get go

Americannodash on June 12, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Most ethical Congress evah!!!

MB4 on June 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I just wanted to take a moment to say I do find your songs/poetry amusing. I think I like it better than the quotes.

Texas Gal on June 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Is it 2010 yet? What’ll be left of this country by then, I wonder…

Deckard on June 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Hmmmmmmm…

Must be some more of that New Kind of Politics that O!bama promised us…

RocketmanBob on June 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM

This explains the fish wrapped in a printed copy of Hot Air that was left on my doorstep last night.

coyoterex on June 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Is it 2010 yet? What’ll be left of this country by then, I wonder…
Deckard on June 12, 2009 at 2:37

I second that. This is a really frightening time!

chacker on June 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I’m shocked, just absolutely shocked, mind you.

Friendly21 on June 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

What did you expect from an Obama administration? These people or over the edge. Cap and Trade is a bad joke and the health care thing is unbelievable.

duff65 on June 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM

The Democrats have a plan for ending partisan bickering in Washington: Criminalize the GOP, and treat working with Republicans as treason.

Socratease on June 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Time for the New Sons of Liberty to schedule Markey for an appointment with some boiling tar and feathers.

SDN on June 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM

It is clear that bullyin g and threats are the MO of the climate religionists. It sure takes so much away from the scientists that have good intentions. Some of the new laws and taxes are purely punitive and designed to punish opponents. When Band Of america gets bullyied, it is too far and now we have a pattern.

Obama fires a whistle blowere without cause. If we let him get by with it, it will continue.

seven on June 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Corruption in Washington DC has grown by leaps and bounds. Everyone is turning their heads. Just wait. I believe in Karma

truegrits on June 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM

truegrits on June 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Slightly OT, but here’s an e-mail I sent to Nancy Pelosi regarding her initiative to have the US Armed Forces prisoner abuse photos released.

The link to Pelosi’s website is:

Here’s what I said:

Madame Speaker,

I understand from various news sources that you and a few fellow Democrats are trying to have certain sealed prisoner abuse photos released. It is not rocket science to understand what the consequences of this despicable action will be: direct, continuous, all-out murderous attacks from Muslim terrorists against the men and women of our Armed Forces serving us so bravely around the world. As you already know, these photos will also be used by the terrorists as recruiting tools to increase the numbers of terrorists trying to destroy our nation.

I have yet to hear any form of rational reason for your unconscionable intentions, and I want you to know that my family and I are sickened by you and your fellow Democrats’ evil, anti-US Military plans to release those photos.

My son served in the Marine Corps for four years, and the thought of your taking irresponsible action to jeopardize the life of even ONE US soldier is in our minds not only traitorous, but is beyond contemptible.

On behalf of myself and my family, we ask that you and your fellow Democrats put partisan politics aside, do the right thing, and immediately take this horrible, bloodthirsty initiative off the table permanently.

I look forward to your prompt, affirmative response.

Thank you.

Sweet_Thang on June 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Send all these comments to your local hack in DC it will do more good than talking to the choir.

NRA LINK

Col.John Wm. Reed on June 12, 2009 at 9:13 PM

This is seriously criminal stuff.

I though the GAG messiah and his EVIL prophetress witch
were supposed to stop this kind of stuff??

Apparently NOT because man it is getting so bad that
The Mafia is threatening to SUE because
they are being Cut out of the deal..

veteranoutrage on June 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I had hoped that the Democrats, once in power … would behave badly.

They have exceeded my expectations by an order of magnitude.

Their time in power is limited. Grab some popcorn ladies and gents – the fall is going to be tremendous!

HondaV65 on June 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I miss President Reagan. Very much.

redwhiteblue on June 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Amem,I long for the days when we had an American as President. Not a Muslim Communist.I guess Sen. Joe Mc Cartht was just ahead of his time.

Jeff from WI on June 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Keep in mind that for every story like this that sees the light of day, there are a number of others that are buried.

brotherjohn on June 13, 2009 at 2:29 PM