“Right-wing” Holocaust Museum shooter may have targeted … the Weekly Standard; Update: Fox News also targeted?

posted at 3:45 pm on June 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Weird, huh? What possible grievance could a Jew-hating 9/11 Truther who ranted about Bill O’Reilly and “neocons” have against a magazine owned by Rupert Murdoch and edited by Bill Kristol? Maybe he detected a leftward drift in the Standard’s editorial slant lately? You know how irascible those “right-wingers” can be, especially when they’re fed a steady diet of Fox News. Which, um, Von Brunn hated.

I guess he’s from the conservative-hating wing of conservatism. Big tent!

Two other sources said two FBI agents arrived shortly after 5:00 p.m. Thursday at the 17th Street offices of the magazine. They told staffers that they had found the address of the magazine on a piece of paper associated with the shooter, James von Brunn, and asked whether the Standard had received any threats…

The suggestion that the Standard may have been a target complicates any view of the racist shooter in contemporary left-right terms. Von Brunn’s white supremacist roots put him under the rubric of a “right-wing extremist,” but the substance of his views — which included everything from believing that President Bush may have been in on the September 11 attacks to denying that President Obama is an American citizen — are too far on the fringe to fit into conventional political classification.

MacRanger claims Von Brunn’s a registered Democrat from Maryland but offers no evidence to substantiate that. Although even if he is, I think Kathy Shaidle’s discovery of which politician’s message boards he’s been frequenting is more revealing of Von Brunn’s politics than whatever his registration might be. Exit question: Olby, a renowned Fox-hater himself, will still find a way to blame this all on Rush Limbaugh, right?

Update: So deranged did this textbook right-winger become from watching Fox News that he apparently also targeted, um, Fox News.

Law enforcement sources told WTTG/MyFoxDC.com that during a search of a car that is believed to belong von Brunn, investigators found a notebook with information about six to nine locations in the D.C. area, including the National Holocaust Museum. Other locations on the list included the U.S. Capitol, the White House, the Washington Post, and a FOX News location.

Investigators followed up at each of the locations, trying to find out if there were any sightings of the suspect or any correspondence, MyFoxDC.com reported.

Odds are good that the Von Brunn story will quietly disappear from “Countdown” sometime soon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I did further research on your link and found out why some wanted to vote for him.

To build their movement, i.e., black President – they would garner more members.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM

doesn’t everyone vote for someone to further their own aims????

whats so odd about this???? hmmmmm???

this is politics…this is the way it is…and you are wrong about saying the nazis didn’t support obama. they did….deal with it.

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM

The Democrat Party doesn’t hate the government, they believe in feeding and nuturing it so it grows and they can them feed off of it for all eternity.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM

did you see what they said about your boy Mccain??

its obvious they hated him far more than they did obama…because he supported the JEWS….

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Some of them came here during the primary, they were run out on a rail.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I was very active here at the time and remember. More recently there was somebody called “The Dean” that was a Ron Paul supporter and had little in common with the rest of us. I haven’t seen him around for a few months and think he realized the same thing and eventually went away.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:23 PM

did you see what they said about your boy Mccain??

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Exactly. But the Neo Nazi movement does not like the way Bush, Cheney McCain, Murdoch all support Israel. They hate Neo-Cons, period.

Ron Paul did not support Israel, he made a remark during the debates that America brought 9/11 on itself and Rudy went nuts.

Ron Paul is that old world Paleo-Conservative and many of the followers – Nazis included – were the same.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Many of them were Truthers, the reason they didn’t fit in well here.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM

you do know that conservatives, especially conservative christians, are among the last friends of israel left in this world??

but metzger and his friends said what they said…they supported obama..I didn’t see them saying they were writing in ron paul…

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM

and you probably don’t remember, but Willaim F. Buckley basically wrote buchanan out of the conservative movement some years ago…for his anti-semitism.

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Look at this recent book that Pat Buchanan wrote.

It’s loony.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Precisely. Just like Socialists, Communists and Nazi’s(Fascists).

But hating the present government doesn’t indicate right-wing, either, not if the goal is to replace it with an even more left-wing government.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:32 PM

And all of those John Birchers. The Nazis are like them and Buchanan and Ron Paul are like them. And Alex Jones.

Kinda creepy.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Kinda creepy.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Buckley wrote them out of the conservative movement too…a long time ago…

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM

But some of those Milita Groups want to replace it with what they see is like the original government with the Framers.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM

we’re off on a tangent here…the bottom line is that the NAZIS were SOCIALISTS…leftists…as are their heirs today…

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM

and you do know that people like Stalin were not exactly friends of jews…he killed quite a few…

and look at the ‘liberal’ socialist democracies of europe…they’re not very safe places for jews these days…and the left has apparently made common cause with the muslims…

and right behind the jews are conservative christians, like me…(in terms of hatred by the left and muslims)

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM

If there were Nazi’s then they were probably supporting Ron Paul for narrow reasons, such as his stance on Israel and trutherism—either that or else they weren’t very faithful Nazis.

Whether some Nazis supported Ron Paul or not, to achieve some aspect(s) of their agenda, is immaterial. What matters is that Nazism, the ideology, is left-wing.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM

The Left is wary of Israel because they are geo-political cowards…

mjbrooks3 on June 11, 2009 at 9:45 PM

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM

There’s no such thing as a paleo-Conservative Nazi. They may ally with one for whatever reason(s), but the two are not compatible politically.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I am going to sign off, it was great speaking with both of you. I am on this chemo in pill form and I took it and now I feel sick…again. Last night I was ok, it keeps my up but some nights it makes me so nauseaous.

Anyway, g’night.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Anyway, g’night.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I’ll keep you in my prayers….

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:49 PM

oh I’ve had skin cancer…squamous cell…but I didn’t have to take chemo…its no fun when the doctor calls you and says you’ve got cancer….anway…I keep up on natural supplements that may reduce cancer….and I found this recently…

Taking ginger supplements with standard anti-vomiting drugs beforehand can reduce the nausea that often accompanies chemotherapy treatment by 40 per cent according to a new US study

I also take black raspberry, cayenne pepper, and resveratrol (also good for cardio)

right4life on June 11, 2009 at 9:52 PM

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM

In that case they wouldn’t be Nazi’s, would they. Nazi’s believe in a powerful authoritarian government that controls production, not a small government amenable to personal freedom and liberty. If the shooter turns out have been motivated by a desire to kill Jews because he somehow thought it would help his cause of overturning a overpowering left-wing government and replace it with minimal government like the founders intended, then you’d have a very strong argument that he’s a right-winger. (Although how killing Jews would accomplish that, or how killing innocent people is compatible with freedom, I have no idea.) But if he’s a neo-Nazi like has been reported, you don’t have any case at all.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Anyway, g’night.

AprilOrit on June 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Goodnight and good luck with your chemotherapy.

FloatingRock on June 11, 2009 at 9:58 PM