Porkulus above the pay grade of its chief?

posted at 5:10 pm on June 10, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We laughed over Joe Biden’s gaffe yesterday regarding a Porkulus-funded tunnel in New Jersey, but the American Spectator points out another that most of us missed on the same conference call.  When pressed for supporting data on Obama administration claims of 600,000 jobs being “saved or created” by the stimulus package in the near future, the man in charge of the stimulus claimed ignorance:

Vice President Joe Biden said on a Monday conference call with reporters that it was “above [his] pay grade” to explain in detail the methodology the White House uses to estimate the number of jobs created or saved by the economic stimulus legislation, but stressed that there had been no “reasonable” challenges to the estimates.

During the call, Biden said that the stimulus package, which was signed into law in February, saved or created 150,000 in its first 100 days, and he outlined White House plans to accelerate the pace so that 600,000 more jobs will be saved or created in the second 100 days this summer.

Asked by Jonathan Riskind of the Columbus Dispatch to explain how the White House determined these numbers, Biden said that the Council of Economic Advisers makes its estimates based on measuring what the U.S. employment level would have been without the stimulus, and then comparing it to the nation’s actual employment level.

“I’m sorry I’m not an economist,” Biden said as he was describing the methodology. “My background is foreign policy and the constitution. “

Of course, that’s why Barack Obama put Biden in charge of the economic stimulus project.  It makes as much sense as:

Biden wound up defending the numbers because he hadn’t heard any “reasonable” challenges to them.  Since economics is above his pay grade, who is Biden to know what criticisms are “reasonable”?  While some in the White House press corps have been asking for the actual data behind these claims, though, Biden is mostly right that the national media hasn’t really challenged the administration on their claims.  Maybe that’s above their pay grade.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“Pulled out of their ass” isn’t a reasonable argument?

lorien1973 on June 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Sigh.

aero on June 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM

“Pulled out of their ass” isn’t a reasonable argument?

lorien1973 on June 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Make that the “Right hand extraction method”…

Kuffar on June 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

At some point Barry’s just going to have to move Joe’s cubicle down to some obscure sub-basement and just have him staple TPS reports all day.

patriette on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

“Pulled out of their ass” isn’t a reasonable argument?

lorien1973 on June 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Make that the “Right hand extraction method”…

Kuffar on June 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Biden uses his left hand.

izoneguy on June 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Head banging smiley… Did we ever get that installed?

Skywise on June 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM

For Obama so loved the USA
that whoesoever should believe in Hopenchange
shall not lose their house
but have everlasting employment

CMonster on June 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM

And actualy? He flat out lied about the stats…

We now have MORE unemployment as a percentage than Obama said we would have WITHOUT the stimulus.

Romeo13 on June 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Among the many infuriating results of last year’s election is VP Biden “saving” us from Palin’s inexperience, naivete, etc. Every day when I wake up I keep hoping this is the day the weird dream will end and we get back to competent people in power. Sigh.

Question: What do the leftwingers say about Biden? Do they seriously defend him, or do even they view him as the comic relief in this Broadway flop?

jwolf on June 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Thank goodness we have Joe as co-pilot instead of that crazy right-wing Palin. Could you just imagine?

jimmy2shoes on June 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I remember back in the day when performance mattered.

Thunderstorm129 on June 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

You should have voted for the other guy.

Daggett on June 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM

the man in charge of the stimulus claimed ignorance

Isn’t this just a given?

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM

again:

palin was too stupid for the job of vice president.

that needs to be repeated a trillion times and then 10 trillion more. i seriously am spitting mad about this joke of a vice president that gets to sail through after all the dumb sh-t that flows out of his mouth. i hate this country some times. and i hate the uneducated morons that live in it. all democrats mind you.

Ghoul aid on June 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

“We don’t know what the hell we’re doing! Why didn’t you people turn off American Idol long enough to pay attention to what you were doing back in November. Now I’m stuck here looking like the ass I am with no answer to give! I hate you, I really, really do!!!!!”

How about that?

jimmy2shoes on June 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Joe’s lying. The White House probably asked him to pull a number of of his ass and that’s the number they’d use.

GarandFan on June 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Above his paygrade? Isn’t this walking life insurance policy supposedly the number two man in charge of the United States right now?

Wolftech on June 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Cuz’ you don’t mess with Joe!!!

FontanaConservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?
DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

How ’bout, “Sorry, although I’m good for a laugh I’m really not qualified to be Veep…”

DamnYankee on June 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Hey, if Biden says this is “above his pay grade” then isn’t he asking for a salary cut? Obama can claim that as a major cost cutting move and the media will casually accept the claim, no questions asked.

jwolf on June 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM

The Magic Economic Stimulus Project of
the Five Pillars!!

canopfor on June 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM

the man in charge of the stimulus claimed ignorance:

Hey Ed, you remember how when Ronald Reagan claimed he didn’t remember and everyone said he was lying, then it turned out he was suffering from Alzheimer and really didn’t remember? Yea, well when Joe claims that he is ignorant, oh yea….. it really is truth in advertising…

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Ole Joe even tore a page out of his boss’es playbook with the “above my pay grade” comment. Apparently no one explained to him that it didn’t go over real well the first time either.

Cliveclone17 on June 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM

How many of those so called “created” jobs were government jobs and how many were private sector jobs? And how many were just created in Obama’s head? As for Joe “God love ya” Biden, I wonder what was going through his head during this tele-conference? My guess–a cat with a ball of yarn.

Redneck Woman on June 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, down the street from Katie’s Diner in Wilmington?

Fallen Sparrow on June 10, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?
DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

If I were him, I would’ve reminded everyone that nobody messes with Joe.

(giggle)

Pale Rider on June 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM

“My background is foreign policy and the constitution. “

Well, 0 of 2 areas of expertise ain’t bad, Joe.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Just as Hopey/Changey will have an all-time Gaffe record,
so to,will GaffeBiden!!

They both, will be enshrined in the Gaffe Hall of Fame!!

canopfor on June 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM

VPTOTUS still broke??

DamnYankee on June 10, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Cuz’ you don’t mess with Joe!!!

FontanaConservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

D’OH! Somebody beat me to it after all!

Pale Rider on June 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM

There are 1 million Americans who have the same job today that they did yesterday. I have personally created or saved those 1 million jobs. Really, I did. Prove me wrong.

jimmy2shoes on June 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM

They both, will be enshrined in the Gaffe Hall of Fame!!

canopfor on June 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM

That of course is provided that when the bloody civil war comes they aren’t the very first lined up against that wall.

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Biden + haiku = Bidenku

Porkulus spends much
Joe not informed about success
Above his pay grade

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

“You’re asking the wrong person. You should ask a man I’m proud to call my friend. A man who is the President of the United States — Barack America!”

chipandcharge on June 10, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I love ya, Joe. You never fail to lift my spirits.

myrenovations on June 10, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Biden + haiku = Bidenku

Porkulus spends much
Joe not informed about success
Above his pay grade

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Mess with Joe
Mess with Joe’s pay grade
Profit for all…

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 5:35 PM

…we’re all part
of the dope show..

(Marilyn Manson)

Spiritk9 on June 10, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I like the Bidenku idea. Let me give it a try:

Libs: Vote Obama!
McCain’s running mate too dumb!
Instead we got Joe. :(

jwolf on June 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I can explain the methodology. It’s called LYING.

RightWinged on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I’d like to thank Kathleen Parker once again. Your guy is right on top of things.

Jim Treacher on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

You can get anything you want @ Katie’s Restaurant.

Obie came in with the twenty seven eight-by-ten
colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one…

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Can we impeach him NOW?!!!! OUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT!!! NOT JETTING AROUND THE WORLD LIKE SOME NARCISSISTIC PLAYBOY STIKING POSES! THAT’S IT… HE’S THE ULTIMATE POSER!!!! IT’S FREAKIN’ ANIMAL FARM!!!!

CynicalOptimist on June 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Obama is our shepherd, we will not be in need!
He makes sure we can lay down in a hospital waiting room
He gives us clean water to drink
He restores our credit
He ensures that everything we need will be free

Even though we walk because our cars are repossed
We will fear no car dealer!
For Obama is with us
His rebates for clunkers and GM ownership sake
they make us feel good about sticking it the rich!

He will give us foodstamps aplenty
while my creditors watch
He will fill up our cars with oil and electricity
until the tank overflows
Surely Hopenchange will be with us the rest of our lives
And we will dwell in unions and the Democrat party from now on

CMonster on June 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

So Biden’s policy is the Constitution and Obama supposedly was a Constitutional lawyer. Maybe that’s why they feel like they can just set it on fire, shred it, and use it as toilet paper.

Tuari on June 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I heard the White House economic guru explain it all yesterday. Essentially it’s an estimate from a formula in which:

($dollars)(multiplier) = jobs

where $dollars in the number of dollars spent, multiplier is some multiplier and jobs is the number of jobs produced. So let’s say they believe the multiplier is equal to .1% or 0.001, when then when you spend $15,000,000 you create 15,000 jobs.

So in essence they have NO direct measure of the # jobs produced, only the amount of money spent. And as far as I could tell they don’t factor how deficit spending would cost jobs offsetting their multiplier.

The press ate it up rather than laugh in the spokesman’s face.

We are so screwed.

PackerBronco on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

VMOTUS Joe…

Ed, regarding GM, I think you’re wrong. They probably picked up a good guy. What you need to consider is that Ford hired a Boeing guy who also had no experience with cars, and this guy has been able to turn the company around to the point that it didn’t need any government money. Nardelli has also arguably done a better job than Wagoner because he inherited a much, much worse company compared to GM when he started out. How bad was Chrysler? Mercedes wrote off their remaining 20% participation in Chrysler completely, well before its bankrupcy.

So, as Gingrich would say, you can’t just be a “no” person… Objectively speaking, picking Whitacre might be an excellent move.

ChristianRock on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM

When that time does come I call dibs on Pelosi! If you don’t like it, you’ll have to rassle me fer her.

FontanaConservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

jwolf on June 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I almost got into a fistfight at work (a school system) for goofing on how clueless Biden was. The anger from the leftist was immediate, and he got personally abusive. That leftist was a friend for 5 years. Walked away rather than deck him.

NaCly dog on June 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM

The numbers aren’t pulled out of their arse. They’re based on spendout. Biden’s own economist explained it yesterday. They have a “multiplier effect” assigned to different industries. They combine that multiplier with the amount of money spent in that industry segment to estimate the number of jobs created. It is literally impossible, in this set up, for any economic conditions to create results that would show a net loss from the stimulus. Convenient, eh?

If it was any more insular and self-justifying, it’d be a global warming climate model.

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Here is my list of 31 of my favorite Biden gaffes.

jgapinoy on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

And looked at the judge and his seeing eye dog Joe, and knew that justice Obama truly was blind retarded.

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I should add to my post, if I were in the press conference the first thing I would ask is for the 95% confidence interval of both the multiplier and jobs produced estimate. I suspect for the 150,000 jobs saved figure the 95% confidence interval would be something like:

(-2,000,000 , 2,150,000)

In other words the noise really blows away their “estimate”.

PackerBronco on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Bidenku:

Sh*t! Who let Joe out?
Find something Shiny,Quickly
Nevermind. He spoke.

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Why would these people question VP Biden about the bogus 600,000 number (and previously 150,000 job number), but nobody dare put the question to THE ONE?

Sir Napsalot on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

everything is above this morons pay grade.

SHARPTOOTH on June 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Joe’s not taking his duties seriously because Obama hasn’t given him an official Stimulus Sheriff badge and walkie-talkie yet.

innominatus on June 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

FontanaConservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

i won’t fight you for her. just promise me a good kick in the teeth for me, ok?

Ghoul aid on June 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

BO needs to annoint Crazy Joe as a Czar, then he wouldn’t have to answer all these pesky questions.

d1carter on June 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Well remember that abortion was above the pay-grade of Odumma…..

t on June 10, 2009 at 5:44 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Fantastic!

fiscallyconservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Porkulus is above all pay grades…

mjbrooks3 on June 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I keep getting the feeling Joe’s starting to shuffle to the sidelines and set himself up for; “I didn’t have anything to do with the mess Barry got us into to!”

Star20 on June 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Ghoul aid on June 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Don’t worry you can get Feinstein.

But sure, will do.

FontanaConservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

…explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us…

Man, haven’t thought of Alice’s Restaurant in a long time!

DamnYankee on June 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Oh, good! And to think, I didn’t believe he’d be ready to step into the president’s shoes, should the unthinkable ever happen. Silly me. -_-

Heresy of Cain on June 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM

LOL!

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

NaCly dog on June 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM

It’s got to be tough, trying to maintain his delusions in the face of such a sad reality.

Jim Treacher on June 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

FontanaConservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

As a Resident of SoCal, that notion is tempting (not the rassling part, the getting my hands on Pelosi part), however not that tempting. I am sure we can come to some agreement just the same.

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Don’t worry you can get Feinstein.

But sure, will do.

FontanaConservative on June 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM

i don’t want that hag. just set me loose in an acorn office. oh, that would be like christmas morning.

Ghoul aid on June 10, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Man, haven’t thought of Alice’s Restaurant in a long time!

DamnYankee on June 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I haven’t thought of it either, but once Joe got caught with his Katie’s restaurant lie, that song always pops into my head.

You can get anything you want, @ Alice’s Katie’s Restaurant

portlandon on June 10, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Well, what would you have said if you were him?

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

You should have voted for the other guy.

Daggett on June 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Got a lot of responses with that one – and I realize that most of them are probably true. Granted, I think that this man has no idea what’s going on, but I was just putting myself in his place and trying to imagine what I would say. I don’t know that I have the ability to do that, though. :)

DrRansom on June 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM

NaCly dog on June 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM

i hear ya, a most of my co workers are libs its a tough situation to be in sometimes, even when you goof around they get po’d. oh well…..

SHARPTOOTH on June 10, 2009 at 5:57 PM

That of course….

doriangrey on June 10,2009 at 5:32PM.

doriangrey:Dammit dori,must you think ahead,tee-hee!:)

canopfor on June 10, 2009 at 5:57 PM

NaCly dog on June 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM

In my area, you’d be hauled-in by the boss and accused of creating a hostile work environment. Do it again and you’d be fired. Happened just that way to a friend of mine–some innocent water-cooler talk. So maybe you were lucky.

Personally, I don’t talk to libs anymore, not since the election, unless I’m being paid to. Apparently, there’s a life-time limit, and since I live in a deep blue place, I got there early. Who’d a thunk it?

JiangxiDad on June 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM

SHARPTOOTH on June 10, 2009 at 5:57 PM

i usually tell people that i do not like barack obama. but i quickly follow that up with how fascinated i am with michelle. what they don’t know is that i am fascinated with how ugly she is, her questionable fashion choices, and last but not least, that atrocious lower half of her body.

Ghoul aid on June 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Of course, that’s why Barack Obama put Biden in charge of the economic stimulus project. It makes as much sense as:

…appointing someone with no Intelligence background or experience in security to run the CIA.

fitzsweetpea on June 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM

doriangrey:Dammit dori,must you think ahead,tee-hee!:)

canopfor on June 10, 2009 at 5:57 PM

You know I just cant figure out why Paul Stanley suddenly switched to playing a flying V………….

doriangrey on June 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Jim Treacher on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Hey, don’t forget Colin Powell, who said this about Palin:

She’s a very distinguished woman, and she’s to be admired. But at the same time, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don’t believe she’s ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Sen. McCain made.

Buy Danish on June 10, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Obama: you know “To me she was the sweetest thing. Everyone else — she treated like s**t.”

Speakup on June 10, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I know it’s already been said but, “No one, I mean NO ONE, messes with Joe….”

–from one click above his paygrade….

ted c on June 10, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Somehow I think that if Cheney had some responsibility, oh like the WoT, he would have the facts and figures at his command. You might disagree with them, but he wouldn’t say it was ‘above his pay grade’.So now do we believe that Joe Biden is ready to be President when he doesn’t know how the signature issues of this Administration are calculated?

eaglewingz08 on June 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I do want to say, that although I was aghast at putting Panetta in at CIA, he has shown integrity and his lashings of Pelosi have been worth it, even though he didn’t have the experience at the start.

eaglewingz08 on June 10, 2009 at 6:25 PM

And the band played on…

Huckabye-Romney on June 10, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Hey Ed! You do a Obamateurism of the day. Isn’t it time to start a Bidengafteurism of the day?

Dingbat63 on June 10, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I think Innocent Bystanders needs to put out another graph, showing the BS with and without stimulus lines from the January plan, along with the real unemployment numbers and with the real unemployment numbers plus 150,000 jobs..

gridlock2 on June 10, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Wolftech on June 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I thought being above a pay grade was liberalize for not knowing when life begins.

Jeff from WI on June 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM

One question to the mods and independents who voted for this….”Kid, have you rehabilitated yourself?”

califdreamnred on June 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I’m convinced now that if anyone seriously wanted the Obama admin to end sooner than 2012 they would have to shoot Biden first. Chaz706 on June 10, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Ummm Speaker Botox and Sheets Byrd would then be in the bull pen. Almost makes Barry look good. I said, almost.

Dingbat63 on June 10, 2009 at 6:58 PM

It’s really too bad Conan went with Andy Richter as sidekick for the new Tonight Show, Biden would have been way funnier.

LogicConnection on June 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Someone care to explain how anyone measures what would have been? We don’t really have time machines and alternate realities that the One is guiding us through picking the best of all possible worlds, do we?

AnotherOpinion on June 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

* Appointing an auto czar who never worked in the auto industry
* Assigning the GM bankruptcy to a 31-year-old law-school dropout with no experience in cars or Wall Street or bankruptcies
* Picking a GM board chair with no experience in the auto industry, because GM isn’t just about carmaking, or something

Might want to add Leon Panetta to that list.
Head of the CIA with no Intelligence experience.

Baxter Greene on June 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Biden has said and done a lot of stupid things,but some of them could have caused major international problems.

Offering to give the Iranians hundreds of millions of dollars after 9/11 so they would like us more.

Wanting to partion Iraq based on religious affiliations.

and this:

Biden to Zapatero: Hey, thanks for all that help in Iraq
posted at 9:48 am on March 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

MAN, BIDEN IS A GAFFE WITH LEGS: during his meeting with Spain’s primer minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero in Chile yesterday, Biden thanked Zapatero for his effort… in Iraq (link in Spanish, haven’t found this detail in any English-language media).

As everybody knows, the first decision Zapatero made after his unexpected win in 2004, right after the Madrid train terrorist attacks, was to abruptly and unilaterally pull out from Iraq.

More examples of why liberals have to always tell everybody how smart they are………because it doesn’t show.

Baxter Greene on June 10, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Obama is crazy like a fox to have Biden staring us in the face if anyone considered impeachment, etc. It was a brilliant pick that looks better every single time Biden opens his mouth.

petunia on June 10, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Come to think of it maybe Biden is who Sotomayer had in mind when she was talking about white men not being able to make fair judical decisions. If this is the kind of nutty white man you know… well, it is not such a stretch.

petunia on June 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Would have been? WOULD HAVE BEEN? Estimating based on an unknown? Fantastic.

Troy Rasmussen on June 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM

O’Biden is a perfect example of the Peter Principle meets Murphy’s Law. Come to think of it, so is Obummer. I wouldn’t actually expect a President with no worthwhile experience of any kind to appoint anyone any better than his car crowd.

dwurst on June 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM