Palau takes the Uighurs and the cash

posted at 8:47 am on June 10, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Palau has accepted the Obama administration’s offer of $200 million to bring 17 trained al-Qaeda terrorists to their island nation.  The government in Palau announced this morning that they would agree to it as a gesture of friendship to the US for all of our assistance to them.  They also don’t mind doubling their GDP this year:

The tropical Pacific island nation of Palau announced Wednesday it will accept up to 17 Chinese Muslims who have languished in legal limbo at Guantanamo Bay despite a Pentagon determination that they are not “enemy combatants.” …

President Johnson Toribiong said Palau was accepting the detainees “as a humanitarian gesture” intended to help them restart their lives. His archipelago, with a population of about 20,000, will accept up to 17 of the detainees subject to periodic review, Toribiong said in a statement released to The Associated Press.

“This is but a small thing we can do to thank our best friend and ally for all it has done for Palau,” he said.

Hey, don’t mention it!  At all, preferably, because many of us are embarrassed that the US demanded the favor in the first place.

One can’t blame Palau for taking the deal.  First, their entire GDP for 2008 was $164 million, according to the CIA Factbook.  Over 85,000 tourists visited Palau and provided about $120 million of that.  Now 17 Uighurs will come to Palau with $12 million each.  If they’re truly rehabilitated, well, what a deal, right?  Plus, Palau gets to stick a finger in Beijing’s eye; they don’t recognize the communist regime at all and have close ties to Taiwan.

Of course, with a recidivism rate for released Gitmo detainees of around 14%, odds are that a couple of the Uighurs might not be quite as cuddly as Obama promises.  Hopefully it will work out all right for Palau and its tourists, but if I were making decisions on expensive South Pacific vacations, I’d start looking elsewhere.

As for the other Gitmo detainees, the bidding starts at $12 million per terrorist now.  With around 230 left after the departure of the Uighers, it will cost the US $2.8 billion to empty Gitmo — and you know that France, Germany, and others won’t take a dime less than we gave Palau for hosting them.

Update: Glenn Greenwald calls me “fear stricken,” which is rather humorous from the man shrieking with fear over the Bush administration’s surveillance programs.  How many people did the surveillance kill, and how many people got killed by people trained at al-Qaeda camps?  I’ll wait for Glenn to do the math.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Which terrorist will be voted off the island first?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Does anyone else see Palau becoming a hotbed of terrorist activities in the very near future?

Tommy_G on June 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM

$10,000 for a Senate seat
$12,000,000 for a terrorist

Showing the world weakness and your incompetence to fight the war on terror…..Priceless

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Which terrorist will be voted off the island first?

LOL!!!!!!!!!

NC Cop on June 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM

All this because an ignorant wannabe made stupid promises to his loony base and now has to save his face.

promachus on June 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Golly…I wonder if any will “escape”?
Do we get a refund if they do?

Itchee Dryback on June 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Tommy_G on June 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM

It’s Al Qaeda’s latest offering in beach resort/terrorist training camp to be branded as Sandals and Scimitars.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 8:56 AM

14% chance of recidivism when realeased alone, altho I hope not, I bet it’s much higher when they are released as a group. I hope Palau doesn’t pay for President Obama’s “naivete”.

Rode Werk on June 10, 2009 at 8:56 AM

tropical Pacific island nation

Well, hey, what a coincidence. I just discovered that I’m a Uighur rehabilitated terrorist too. Please send me to Palau.

Either that, or for $200 mil, I will be happy to put them up in my house. Now mind you, I don’t have kids so the house isn’t “baby proof” and there may be some dangerous situations in the house that could lead to death for those unfamiliar with the place or are just clumsy.

rbj on June 10, 2009 at 8:58 AM

The enemy of my enemy is not always my friend. I think someone at the Pentagon needs to listen to these people. Didn’t one of them just say that they considered America as just as bad as communist China?

And just because Palau is an island does not mean it is isolated. Are they going to be kept under control or surveillance there, or could the group just hop the next flight out to the USA?

conservativerepublicanhippie on June 10, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Which terrorist will be voted off the island first?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Okay, 10 points for that one.

BigD on June 10, 2009 at 8:58 AM

17 TERRORIST 85,0000 TOURIST…. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

THE GREATEST ADMINITRATION EV AH!!!

SHARPTOOTH on June 10, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Who wants to bet that after a month or so, the US military will find one of these guys in Afghanistan?

/Obama, we will close Gitmo and send every terrorist, I mean ‘freedom fighter’ off to Club Med.

Exit question: If I want to become a ‘resistance fighter,’ can I been sent to south topical island too?

Lance Murdock on June 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM

tell me Im having a nightmare……Is this what obama calls diplomacy?

marktarheel on June 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Lock the fertilizer up.

moonsbreath on June 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM

So where does the money come from? Oh yes, we sell bonds to China to pay Palau to take Chinese Uighers.

Wethal on June 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM

These guys are all going to be dead within the next couple of years. A dead terrorist doesn’t cost anything to keep.

Asher on June 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Now make every democrat vacation in Palau once a year.

chromium on June 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM

tell me Im having a nightmare……Is this what obama calls diplomacy?

marktarheel on June 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM

No. It’s not diplomacy. It’s “smart power”.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM

$200 million? But I thought we didn’t have any more money?

Question: Will Obambi consider this a success or a failure?

ctmom on June 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Smart Power – Chicago Style. Capone would be so proud. Subtitled: There’s a sucker born every minute.

kingsjester on June 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Lying on the beach near the hotel, the view out over the pacific was spectacular. We decided to ordered some drinks. “Snap” “snap” to the cabana boy. My husband waved him over to take our order. His face was familiar, like I’d seen him on the news … or something. The dear sweet boy. I made sure to check his name tag so I could give him a kudo’s back at the hotel front desk.

It was Mohammed.

Strange name I thought for a native Palauian….

katy on June 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM

This will not end well. :(

Quite honestly I would have sent them back to China. We might even have gotten something of diplomatic value in exchange.

jwolf on June 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM

rbj on June 10, 2009 at 8:58 AM

LOL…that makes two of us.

coyoterex on June 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I don’t get it – will those Uighurs be restricted to the Island?

Phoenician on June 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Oh well, Uighurs. No more satellite TV and filet mignon for you.

LibTired (KO) on June 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM

This is beyond STUPID.

Any country (i.e. Palau) that would take money to imprison a terrorist will take more money (from Al Queda) to free that terrorist.

How dumb, how stupid, can this man be? I don’t even ever want to find out the answer to that question.

stenwin77 on June 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Winners receive $200 million and also the home version of “Who Wants to Bailout Barack Obama?”

So, our guys landed on Omaha Beach and this is the thanks we get from our “allies.”

SteveMG on June 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Compare $200 million to the cost of a military flight to China and back.

They’re Chinese; let the Chinese deal with them.

BuckeyeSam on June 10, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Asher on June 10, 2009 at 9:01 AM

What do you mean?

keebs on June 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM

In this case I think that we’ll be fine, as long as we can control the Professor’s whereabouts. He can make anything out of coconuts and we all know what happened when the Iranians got a hold of Doc Brown.

NickelAndDime on June 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM

So let me get this straight, the DEMS demanded we get them off one island to PAY to put them on another island? This is better because?

Jeff from WI on June 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Wow…fantastic looking island as well. Learn something new every day.

Asher on June 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I’d be happy to have the government pay $12MM to send every last Dem senator and Congressman to Palau. Heck, I’d pay double to get rid of Pelosi and Reid!

glennbo on June 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM

They’re Chinese; let the Chinese deal with them.

BuckeyeSam on June 10, 2009 at 9:04 AM

They’re Muslims, let Allah deal with them.

Tommy_G on June 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Jeff from WI on June 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM

DING!

tru2tx on June 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I am glad we are in an economic crisis……….

momof2 on June 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM

So, let me see if I get this right….

We are paying 12 million per terrorist for a visit to a vacation island before their eventual release back into the land of terrorism, where they will once again seek to murder.

Liberalism; a mental disorder…

Keemo on June 10, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Tommy_G on June 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM

++++++

LibTired (KO) on June 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM

how depressing

I’d rather they be put on trial in the us

And sent to supermax

Gitmo is luxury compared to that

blatantblue on June 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM

What do you mean?

keebs on June 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Poorer or developing nations don’t have a lot to spend safeguarding pickpockets, much less these guys. Economically, it’s a lot simpler if they all have accidents while incarcerated.

It’s also possible we’ll be footing the bill for these guys until they die of old age in a much nicer facility with the amenities they’re used to at Gitmo. I’d rather it be the first option.

Asher on June 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Maybe Palau should have gone another round and opened 2 more suitcases to try and get a better offer from the banker.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM

$200 million so he can keep his image in tact. Nice.

sherry on June 10, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Hopefully it will work out all right for Palau and its tourists

Yeah, maybe their violent days are behind them. They’ll just settle down, start families, start a mosque, bring a imam from some middle eastern country. Get bank rolled by saudi arabia and start outreach programs to the poor of palau. Start building a muslim community in palau. And institute sharia law over the country in 20 years.

peacenprosperity on June 10, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Gitmo, Palau what the hell is the difference besides being less capable to deal with terrorists than our military?

SCGOPgirl on June 10, 2009 at 9:12 AM

We should buy our illustrious president a one way ticket to Palau….and keep the secret service boys here. :)

I’ll throw in the first 100.00 donation for the air fare. Anyone else?

SKR8PN on June 10, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM

It all depends on who packed the suitcases, Howie. Obama or their new guests.

I’m just sayin’…

kingsjester on June 10, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Leave it to government to spend $12 million to solve a problem that could be taken care of with 50 cents.

CMonster on June 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Wow! Just what a tourist mecca needs — 17 AQ trained terrorists.

Maybe they could put them in cages on display and charge to see them, thus increasing the island’s GDP. Next year, Obama can borrow money from Palau to fund another one of his entitlement projects.

Loki28 on June 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM

the DEMS demanded we get them off one island where they are controlled to PAY to put them on another island where they can come and go as they please?

peacenprosperity on June 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM

kingsjester on June 10, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I wonder what would have happened if Palau would have choosen Door #1 or Door #3 instead of Door #2.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I guess technically, now, that it not “Terrorist”, but instead…”Tourorist”???

Dale in Atlanta on June 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Note to self: Never go to Palau.

I wonder: Who will the libs blame when these 17 terrorists blow up a hotel in Palau? I know who I’ll blame.

mjk on June 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM

They are from china, send them back to china. They will be dead in a week and there are 17 less radical islamic jihadists in the world.

peacenprosperity on June 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I think Door #1 featured a shopping spree with Michelle and the girls.

kingsjester on June 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Which terrorist will be voted off the island first?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 8:50 AM

The first one to fail the shark-challenge?

Yoop on June 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Hey, doesn’t Teh One want PAYGO rules now? How will they pay for this?

Let me guess……..Those guys in the military don’t need those body armor thingys, right? Buck up, soldiers!

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

So, they’re moving from one island paradise to another island paradise. Did we give them any walking around money? Do the Palauians still practice cannibalism? Is this one on the islands sinking into the Pacific due to Algore warming? Did our state dept. do any due diligence before making this decision?

Kissmygrits on June 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

$200 million so he can keep his image in tact. Nice.

sherry on June 10, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Oh, THAT doesn’t matter, sherry. You gotta spend money to make money. Or some such BS. perhaps noted Moron VP can explain to us why this is a good move. I’m sure it will involve a car/train tunnel and not using public transportation and maybe a story about Roosevelt on TV.

mjk on June 10, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Maybe the government of Palau could employ them cleaning up left over ordnance from WWII battlefields. Peleliu was a famous and viscious battle where the Japanese employed lots of mines and booby traps.

BillyGoatGruff on June 10, 2009 at 9:17 AM

At 11.76 million per terrorist it will only take 2.5 billion to bribe countries to take the rest of this scum. Hell, for 11.76 million I’d take one of them with the caveat-’not responsible for accidents’.

MaiDee on June 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Are there 12 NON-Uighers on Palau? And do they have regular air and boat service?

Somethings tells me these Uighers will have disappeared before long. Which would be fine with Obama. Good thing they’re not trained in bomb-making or anything. Oh, wait…

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I think Door #1 featured a shopping spree with Michelle and the girls.

kingsjester on June 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

London shocka. Yikes.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

If I’m not mistaken, Palau and the islands surrounding do have problems with pirates.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Here’s a wild suggestion: Geneva convention states that if a non-uniformed combatant is caught in a war zone, they get summarily executed. Why doesn’t the Army just do that? It won’t cost 200 mill either…..

mjk on June 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM

JiangxiDad on June 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Ruh roh. Are you forgetting AP’s rules regarding Lady M?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Damn Methodists.

mjk on June 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM

how depressing

I’d rather they be put on trial in the us

And sent to supermax

Gitmo is luxury compared to that

blatantblue on June 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Why try a POW? Or in this case, a terrorist, who deserves the same treatment as a spy. They should all be hung.

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Is this $200 million a one-time payment or an annual payment?
And what if they don’t want them after a year or so. Do we get our money back? And where then do they go?

albill on June 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM

mjk on June 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Maybe we should turn them over to the Somali pirates. Then steam a US merchant ship past their boat, claim it was being threatened, and drop an 8-inch shell into their boat.

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 9:24 AM

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Not saying I wouldn’t mind that

But I doubt it will ever happen

Sooo
I’d rather see them in supermax than sitting at Gitmo forever enjoying wonderfully cooked Halal meals 3x a day, soccer with their fellow Dude Boy Kalab Jihadis, prayer towards Mecca (YA AIN’T KNOW WHICH WAY EAST IS IN A SUPAMAX CELL!)

etc etc

And I don’t want to see us pay countries to take them.

blatantblue on June 10, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Let’s see. First they take up residence at a tropical resort in Cuba, complete with laptops.

Now they’re going to a tropical vacation spot in the pacific with $12 million each.

Crime doesn’t pay, but terrorism sure does.

Daggett on June 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Return them to China!

Blake on June 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM

So the Marines will get another chance to conduct an amphibious assault on the Palau island chain once it devolves to control of the terrorists.

Bishop on June 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Balau has loads of sea-going alligators – which on occassion have been known lie hidden waiting for the unwary, for those who are totally ignorant of the local fauna, or just plain not paying attention and… chomp… tasty!

The island Paradise is all that – as long as you do not look too closely, do not leave the tourist areas.

I think we’ll see those guys turning up in the news again.

Friendly21 on June 10, 2009 at 9:29 AM

These are the same lovable mugs who, allowed to watch a soccer match on TV a couple months back, smashed the set upon spotting a sleeveless woman in the stands. Should be some interesting cross-cultural bonding going on.

Chaz on June 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Tommy_G on June 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Even if the terrorists on the loose did not get involved (as they will) what sort of “security” does Palau boast today?

Keep Guantanamo operating as it is, providing our ONLY security against the terrorists we capture.

maverick muse on June 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM

(YA AIN’T KNOW WHICH WAY EAST IS IN A SUPAMAX CELL!)

Yeah, they do. The direction of Mecca is marked in their cells.

Blake on June 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Yeah, they do. The direction of Mecca is marked in their cells.

Blake on June 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Ugh

In supermax?

Thanks for depressing me

(I was thinking to myself as I wrote that “maybe they do know,” but I had hoped it wasn’t the case).

>:[

blatantblue on June 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM

But still

No soccer with dude boy kalab jihadis

blatantblue on June 10, 2009 at 9:34 AM

More delay on a very “complicated” issue. We’ll see June 29th….

allahallahoxenfree on June 10, 2009 at 9:41 AM

peacenprosperity on June 10, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I think that it’s more than possible that “China” will come to them – shortly.

OldEnglish on June 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM

smashed the set upon spotting a sleeveless woman in the stands

Wait until women tourists start shopping all over Palau for berka bathing suits!

katablog.com on June 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM

katablog.com on June 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Burkinis are teh hawtness!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 10, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Do they have to give the money back when the Uighurs simply vanish amongst the teeming masses of Palau?

Talk about a scammer being scammed…

That old Steve Miller classic comes to mind. “Take the Money and Run.”

coldwarrior on June 10, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Blake on June 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM

The Qibla’s in the cells are actually pointed to Las Vegas. /s

coldwarrior on June 10, 2009 at 9:53 AM

More delay on a very “complicated” issue. We’ll see June 29th….

especially when the defendants aren’t your run of the mill common citizen (Obama, USA, Congress, Senate, House, Cheney, and Pelosi) and the judge says they need time to get competent counsel! Tell me that these people don’t have counsel on staff! Also, why Pelosi but not Reid? Why Cheney?

katablog.com on June 10, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Put them in a cage and charge $5 a head to poke a stick at them…a Terrorist Zoo…

right2bright on June 10, 2009 at 9:54 AM

For $12M each, perhaps we could have just set them up in some little whore house in the US? Imagine the perks if we subvert AQ members by giving them a life of riches…wait, that would grow the terrorists ranks…

Game show host: “OK Khalid, do you take option #1, car bomb driven into a crowded bistro. Option #2, a vest-bomb and a short walk to the local pub. Or, option #3, ~60 years in Vegas with $12M do spend as you wish?!?”

Khalid: “Um, will $12M be enough to buy hookers for life?”

Game show host: “Certainly!”

Khalid: “OK, then I’ll take the $12M!”

On second thought, the US government could play this like Logan’s Run or Soylent Green and make like captured terrorists get a life in paradise, while in reality Palau is a “retirement center”.

Geministorm on June 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM

That old Steve Miller classic comes to mind. “Take the Money and Run.”

coldwarrior on June 10, 2009 at 9:52 AM

LOL:)… Amen to that!

Keemo on June 10, 2009 at 9:59 AM

So we pay $200 million and still don’t get to close Gitmo? Brilliant.

ksm on June 10, 2009 at 10:00 AM

obama administration is looking forward to turning this island nation, and the whole archipelago into a terrorist
safe haven? is it one of those things Joe Biden warned us about?

runner on June 10, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Will Palau keep these terrorist in prison or release them? Probably is the same thing.

atemely on June 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Geministorm on June 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I like this. The Palau staff can even carry guide books: “How to Serve Terrorists.” ;)

jwolf on June 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Hang on a second- these are the same Uighurs who smashed a TV at Gitmo because they were so offended at the sight of a woman’s bare arms on screen.

What the heck are they going to do in a tropical paradise where women are parading around in bikinis?

Jay Mac on June 10, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I think that it’s more than possible that “China” will come to them – shortly.

OldEnglish on June 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Yep. A certainty. Fish in a barrel, so to speak. A perfect example of cooperation between nations. China gets rid of a threat and Obama gets rid of a headache.

a capella on June 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM

katablog.com on June 10, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Cheney acted as President of the Senate when the Electoral votes were counted. Reid? I’m not sure. All of this because he wont release birth, passport and education records likely proving he was claiming foreign national status as a result of his Indonesian citizenship. Stunning. Some on the right act as if this is a big red herring. So many people are dancing around outraged by this action and that action of the marxist fool, trying to nickel and dime him. Take a step back and you can see the whole forest not just individual trees. the citizenship issue is a chainsaw. I suspect some are waiting to pursue this before the 2010 elections for greater political effect but how much damage can be done before then? how much damage HAS been done already? This is an incredibly simple issue and easily debunked by Obama himself with the wave of his hand. he refuses and spends a fortune fighting it. How much longer do you sit on your hands and wait for hyperinflation to come??

allahallahoxenfree on June 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM

jwolf on June 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM

From what I understand, the Chinese really want them all back, but Obama is afraid the Chicoms might be “mean” to them.

With good reason, for all their faults the Chicoms know how to handle dangerous criminals.

Rebar on June 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Ummm… Palau is awesome.

But if you were Palau, why wouldn’t you take ‘em? Seems so stupid on our end when we could have just saved the money and kept ‘em in GTMO for the immediate future.

Abby Adams on June 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM