Crazy Nancy’s car-sales bonanza!

posted at 3:54 pm on June 10, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Now that the Obama administration has sunk tens of billions of dollars into two of the Big Three American automakers, Democrats have belatedly noticed that car sales are off.  How can Congress bolster consumer enthusiasm for upcoming “green cars” that will roll off of the lines at Government Motors?  Crazy Nancy wants to offer some big rebates for trade-ins:

With auto sales in the doldrums, the House was considering a plan Tuesday to provide vouchers of up to $4,500 for consumers who turn in their gas-guzzling cars and trucks for more fuel-efficient vehicles. …

Separately, House and Senate appropriators were discussing providing $1 billion to a supplemental war funding bill for the “cash for clunkers” program, which aims to generate about 1 million new auto sales. Since the yearlong vehicle program is expected to cost $4 billion, lawmakers would attempt to find the additional money later this year.

Under the House bill, car owners could get a voucher worth $3,500 if they traded in a vehicle getting 18 miles per gallon or less for one getting at least 22 miles per gallon. The value of the voucher would grow to $4,500 if the mileage of the new car is 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle. The miles per gallon figures are listed on the window sticker.

Autoblog reports that it passed the House already, and notes the conditions:

Although politicians and pundits are sure to weigh-in on the merits of the bill, the specifics appear clear: if your car gets 18 mpg or less and you trade in for a new vehicle the achieves at least 22 mpg, you receive a $3,500 voucher, or $4,500 if the mileage of the new vehicle is 10 mpg higher than your previous heap. SUV, pickup truck and minivan buyers are eligible for a $3,500 voucher if their vehicle gets at least two mpg higher than their trade-in and $4,500 if the vehicle gets five mpg more than their older model. The vehicle has to have been insured for the last year and there is no trade-in value beyond the voucher. The program is also available for leases. Dealers are required to provide proof that the vehicle (1984 MY or later) has been crushed or shredded, and the government estimates that around 25 million vehicles are eligible.

Congress would have to allocate $112 billion in order to fund the rebates for all 25 million cars.  That’s more than the combined TARP funds that have already gone to the two automakers.  Maybe this would have been a better way to spend the money in the first place, because after around $60 billion, we still have two bankrupt car companies with all the same structural problems as before.

Note, too, that the rebate replaces the trade-in value of your supposed “clunker”.  If you have a car still worth $4000 in resale value, the rebate deal gains you nothing at all.  For vehicles with better value, you’d take a loss, as well as assuming more debt in a financial environment where debt has been a major problem for consumers.

All this proves is that Crazy Nancy and her colleagues should have stayed out of the auto industry from the beginning.

Comments

If the geniuses in DC keep going down the road on which they are speeding headlong, Monopoly money is going to be on par with the U.S. dollar.

hillbillyjim on June 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Do you have to buy a Ford/Chrysler/GM?

I recall reading an article recently about the trade in program in Germany. It didn’t help the German auto manufacturers, because many of the people were buying small low priced imports such as Skoda.

GCM on June 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Better get friendly with your insurance guy if you’re planning to go out and buy a clunker for this program today. Or you could just do what the illegals do and use your computer to print up your own phony “proof of insurance” card. The gov’t will probably be just as diligent about checking the authenticity of those insurance cards as they are about checking illegals’ U.S. voter ID cards.

AZCoyote on June 10, 2009 at 4:46 PM

What happened to pay go? There will be lots of cutting to get to $112 billion.

txag92 on June 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I see Nancy is doing ethanol bongs from the tailpipe of her Prius again. She’s been warned about the addictive and hallucinogenic effects…

karl9000 on June 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Note, too, that the rebate replaces the trade-in value of your supposed “clunker”. If you have a car still worth $4000 in resale value, the rebate deal gains you nothing at all. For vehicles with better value, you’d take a loss, as well as assuming more debt in a financial environment where debt has been a major problem for consumers.

I can’t believe these idiots are running the country!!

Oh,and this installs a lot of confidence in the ability to turn around GM:

“I don’t know anything about cars,” Whitacre(new head of GM), 67, said yesterday in an interview after his appointment.

Kind of like having Panetta head the CIA….stupid.

Maybe they will let me run NASA,I saw Star Wars like a hundred times when I was a kid.

Baxter Greene on June 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I have a question. Didn’t the president call for Pay Go yesterday? The story says that there is $3 billion in costs that they haven’t found a way to for yet. I expect the President to oppose this idea on its merits then. This totally violates pay go.

mike volpe on June 10, 2009 at 4:49 PM

i cant wait for a government official to tell me what to do.

moonbatkiller on June 10, 2009 at 4:51 PM

mike volpe on June 10, 2009 at 4:49 PM

He is also calling for exemptions to paygo, and many costs can be carried out over 10 years. In other words, this is a farce.

ICBM on June 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Something else to add to this.
Used cars are getting harder and harder to buy.
They are going from $1,500 to $4000 over book at the auctions.
Dealers and wholesalers are having a hard time making profits on them because the margins have become so tight and will get tighter as less are produced and dealerships are closed down.

You are going to have to trade in a real piece of sh!t for $3,500 or $4,500 to be a good deal on trade in.

Plus,many deals are back loaded by giving more for the trade in than it is worth to close the deal.
This trade in incentive will be tossed aside in a heartbeat by the dealers if it gets in the way of closing deals.

Baxter Greene on June 10, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Wow, this is nothing like the 1930’s when they were paying farmers to burn their field and plow up crops.

:o/

cntrlfrk on June 10, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Peter Schiff destroys the Democrats’ spending on The Daily Show.

JohnJ on June 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Just watched the video. Credit where it’s due, Stewart did a fairly good job here.

jimmy2shoes on June 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM

And those who choose not to participate will get taxed how? Mileage? Car weight? Surcharge on an oil change? Fine for low tire pressure? This reward and punish system they are operating under is out of control.

sherry on June 10, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I assume that at some point they’ll start making it more expensive to fix older cars, by slapping taxes and fees on replacement parts, salvage yards, maintenance work, etc. And they’ll attach prohibitive fees to buying and/or selling older cars so that turning them in for crushing will be the more profitable option for individuals. Then, of course, Obama has already said that he thinks $10/gal+ for gas is a good idea because that will force us to change our behavior. Even the stoutest conservatives among us will likely be dumping our SUVs in favor of 50 mpg tuna cans by then. They’ll find ways to force the noncompliant ones.

aero on June 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Isn’t pay-go set up in a way to require equal cuts for any additional spending? If so, then doesen’t the $1.8T deficit budget basically becomes the baseline?

Jed_Eckert on June 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM

This program to be declared unconstitutional because illegal aliens will not qualify , because they dont believe in car insurance.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM

How much you wanna bet pelozi makes available to ALL the welfare and illegal mexicans FREE GM cars for LIFE???

veteranoutrage on June 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Talk about wealth destruction. They can’t think of anything better to do with the ‘trade ins’ than crush them? And for the marginal improvement on MPG they are going to take money from you and me to give to someone who, according to them, made a bad decision, again. If you could actualy trade in your car and get +$4500, then for you it might be worth it, and to me the price of the oldies would go down, but it still would not be worth the taxes from all of us.

AnotherOpinion on June 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM

This totally violates pay go.

mike volpe on June 10, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Obama administration: Shhhhhh!!!

aero on June 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM

This totally violates pay go.
mike volpe on June 10, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Pay Go is just an excuse to raise taxes. They’ll rush through cap & trade and claim it pays for this program.

Buy Danish on June 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I think I’m going to start letting my Jeep idle in the driveway again. I can get my 17.5 MPG right down to 15 if I start it 10 minutes before I leave for work.

crazy_legs on June 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I just really can’t take this administration any more. Every day it’s something else. I can’t keep up!!!
I need a scorecard.

NJ Red on June 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Jed_Eckert on June 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I’ve been wondering that myself. Pay-go would essentially guarantee our government always stays as bloated as it will be when Obama is done with it.

cntrlfrk on June 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM

or even better
You have to go to QUEEN pelozi
in order to open up a dealership..

man talk about the Mafia..
Hell the Italian Mafia wishes they could do what the Libs are doing right now to the entire country..
DEstroy it or hold it for randsome..

veteranoutrage on June 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I just heard a GM ad on the radio, and was thinking in lines of all other political ads, they should end with, “I’m Barak Obama, and I approve this message!”

Salukidog on June 10, 2009 at 5:02 PM

What if he cheats on his taxes? Perhaps he can get the job then.

aero on June 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Dam#!!
Why didn’t I think of that.

Baxter Greene on June 10, 2009 at 5:02 PM

stupider and stupider

kirkill on June 10, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I’m sure someone already mentioned it, but the day this passes, all those barely running $250 1983 Chevy Suburbans instantly increase in value.

So, start buying old clunker SUVs now.

strictnein on June 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I actually have no problem with some sort of incentive, tax cut/voucher, to buy a newer more fuel efficient American car. However, I have a feeling that any final version of this will apply only to GM and Chrysler, since they took TARP money and the UAW has a stake in those companies. This would put Ford in a bind since they’ve not taken any of the TARP money. My final point on this would be: Where is the money to pay for these vouchers going to come from?

georgemonroe on June 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM

My car has a trade in value of $6,500. Tossing the bargining aside, I wonder if I would find the dealer telling me that my trade in value is between $3,500 and 4,500, which they will get back from the government, or give me the full trade in value, maybe a little more, take the goverments money and get my car for nothing since the a trade cost is built into the sticker price. The sad part is that all I get out of it is the taxes me, my kids, my grand kids and my great grand kidsI paid or will pay to make that trade in.

Franklyn on June 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM

aero on June 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I have wondered why this pretzel logic does not apply to Healthcare.

Would keeping healthcare expensive not force people to have to eat right and take care of themselves.

Either liberals need to square this circle or admit that all of these “green” policies are about enriching their own business interest.

Baxter Greene on June 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM

“Stop by your local dealer for this great deal!”

“What, your local dealer was shut down? Nevermind..”

Here’s a perverse incentive for you. Before you trade your car in, make sure it gets poor gas mileage, thus qualifying you for a better rebate.

Oh, and lets have 25 million cars driven around by dealers to verify their fuel efficiency, too. Or are they going to assume that the fuel efficiency of a 5-year old car is whatever it was when it was built originally?

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Say, will this lead primarily to an increase in Honda and Toyota sales? This bill might hurt GM and Chrysler’s market share.

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 5:10 PM

There used to be a chart listing which professions were least respected by the American people. I couldn’t remember if Used Car Dealers or Politicians were last on the list. Now it doesn’t matter since they appear to be one and the same.

Mallard T. Drake on June 10, 2009 at 5:11 PM

more soft fascism.

kirkill on June 10, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I have wondered why this pretzel logic does not apply to Healthcare.

The government issuing vouchers to kill recycle geezers aging polluters that use too much medicare? That’s a great IDEA!

CMonster on June 10, 2009 at 5:12 PM

People are passionate about their cars. Many will reject this for what it is.

marklmail on June 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM

AnotherOpinion on June 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Socialism in action. The only way they can think of to sell a product is to destroy someone else’s product. It’s like the programs that destroy food in order to preserve the price of the commodity.

hawksruleva on June 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM

By destroying all these old cars it hurts the young and not so well-off buyer of cheap, still running used cars. Plus, by reducing the supply of used cars, it drives up the price of other used cars; hurting those that can’t afford new cars.

Plus it will cause unemployment at places that repair these old cars and sell these older cars (few or none of these cars available).

albill on June 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM

“I don’t know Nancy, they look pretty pissed off and about to riot. Maybe we should stop with the blatantly-obvious destroying of America? Just a thought.”

“Screw them! More entitlement!!! Let’s…let’s..hmmm…let’s provide government subsidized house remodeling!! Get rid of those inefficient toilets, tubs, showers, sinks and appliances! More!! MORE!!!!!! MORE!!!!!!!!!!!MOOOOORRRRREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!”

Thunderstorm129 on June 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM

They must have some leftist think tank coming up with these idiotic hair brain schemes.

Mark

mark24609 on June 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Wealth distribution. Those of us who work typically drive cars that are worth more than $4500 – thus we will not participate. The slacker who drives the valueless car will have that car crushed and get a voucher from the government toward his new purchase. So now we workers will be paying auto welfare too. Another example of how the government will pick your pocket under the guise of “going green”.

Strike Twice on June 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Franklyn on June 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM

What I wonder is how the dealer gets paid, as we will have to give a 4500.00 value for something WE have to prove has been schredded or squished. exactly WHEN do we get reimbursed. If it takes forever to get our money,while we are running on thin margins to begin with, this program sucks major a$$.

It’s also another way to subsidize the “rat credit” market,by getting equity into deals through the trade voucher, which has now become a “welfare” voucher for every deadbeat non-insured POS welfare reciepiant in town. No doubt ACORN will force banks to finance these slugs so that Government Motors POS vehicles will deprieciate just like a Dodge. oooops I meant FIAT. This is just another handout for “reparations”.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM

What a deal for me!

My 1986 Toyota Cressida wagon gets about 17mpg and it’s worth about $2,000.

Trouble is, I’d much rather drive my Cressida than some solar-powered hybrid lunchbox car.

VibrioCocci on June 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I just bought a 1993 Volvo 240.
Only 90K miles on it. I expect it will last longer than the Obama administration. (it’s more trustworthy too)

kooly on June 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Hmmmmm…I wonder how many times they will let me crush the same car…all this oversight and all….bet if i send a donation to the DNC all would be forgotton…..

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM

All this proves is that Crazy Nancy and her colleagues should have stayed out of the auto industry public office from the beginning.

There, fixed.

Spiritk9 on June 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM

My 1986 Toyota Cressida wagon gets about 17mpg and it’s worth about $2,000.

VibrioCocci on June 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

LOL, gotta love those old Toyota wagons. I had three of them. Once I drove 150 miles with the gas tank needle on E and never ran out of gas. And yes, the gas gauge was fully functional.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM

I never thought I’d ever have anything in common with Hitler…well, until this anyway!

enjoy!

BloominRage on June 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Congress and the fascist Obama administration can pound sand. My family won’t even consider a government motors product unless we can write the entire purchase price off on our taxes, the companies are returned to private investor hands, or both.

As neither is likely to happen, we’ll be buying Ford.

RobertE on June 10, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I expect most of the “crushed” cars to end up on the streets of Mexico with their VINs scratched off.

aero on June 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM

the 4,500 dollar kick back comes from the taxpayers. That is us folks. We are borrowing that 4,500 from china. Pelosi hates our children. she wants to rob their piggy banks to bribe us to buy cars.

seven on June 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM

They could give it to me free and I would NEVER again drive a GM/Chrysler vehicle.

blr2449 on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Guess that leaves me out of the deal ‘cuz my 2000 Olds gets 36 mpg, is loaded with electronics, and has a killer cd player; you can hear the bass a mile away!

Pelosi must be out of touch.

Skandia Recluse on June 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

If they put the money into a big ol’ pile and burned it, at least it would keep them warm for a while.

And as an extra added bonus, it’d contribute to global warming!!

misterpeasea on June 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Jeesh….what’s next rebates for more efficient toasters?

Crap. Did I just say that out loud?

Damn.

StockOption on June 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM

As an aside –

Government appointees (4, I think) will sit on the board of directors for these auto manufacturers. As long as they do, I will never, ever buy a car from them. Ever. Period.

GM/Chrysler are too stupid to realize the damage this is doing to their image. I’d rather go bankrupt and restructure myself than let Obama have a hand in anything my company was doing. At least Ford had a little foresight to realize this. GM and Chrysler are now politically vested car companies.

Companies like Pepsi are also too stupid to realize that slapping an Obama logo on their cans might drive off a percentage of the population. What kind of CEO makes those decisions for the betterment of his company? I might be a republican CEO, but I wouldn’t alienate all my liberal customers. That’s just stupid.

Thunderstorm129 on June 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM

What’s fascinating is that in purchasing a neat care in 2001 pre-9/11 I get offers about every other month from the dealership willing to pay me what I paid for it back in 2001… strangest damn thing.

Congress can’t match that… and I still wouldn’t take it if they doubled it. Tripled it.

Because once the crunch comes a gallon of gas goes further in a Honda Insight than just about anything else on the road. A tank of gas goes a long, long way… and seeing the price/bbl of oil… I’ll be needing that. Sooner that most of us expect, I imagine.

ajacksonian on June 10, 2009 at 5:47 PM

blr2449 on June 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I own two GM’s. I’m so embarrassed that I’ve taken to driving around with a paper bag over my head. Cop pulled me over but let me leave with the bag still on when I told him why I was wearing it.

Rod on June 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Nancy should stick to an industry she knows; plastic surgery.

Star20 on June 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Nancy should stick to an industry she knows; plastic surgery.

Star20 on June 10, 2009 at 5:50 PM

She knows the industry. Heck, she’s been going to the body shop for years to get the dents pounded out,the rust removed, and the finish rubbed out.

Rod on June 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I could see using this to trade in my old Ford in for a newer one. Not going to buy any car from a government owned company though.

Buford on June 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Can someone stop these loons?

If I had the cash I’d have gone for an Challenger SRT8, but not now.

Iblis on June 10, 2009 at 6:00 PM

aero on June 10, 2009 at 4:55 PM

shhhhh! You’ll only encourage them.

scalleywag on June 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM

It would be fun to find out the answer to that!

scalleywag on June 10, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Can someone stop these loons?

YES WE CAN!!!! VOTE!!

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Rod on June 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Same thing happened to me. The cop told me to put eye holes in the bag and let me go with a warning. Nice guy.

JiangxiDad on June 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Wonder what car Mrs. Pelosi et. al drive?

SmallGovtGuy on June 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM

She doesn’t drive cars, silly! The Air Force has planes just for Crazy Nancy and her family.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM

YES WE CAN!!!! VOTE!!

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on June 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM

do you think we’ll make it to the year 2010 intact? It’s looking pretty dismal.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Dam. Disappointed in your last paragraph. If they were going to give me a rebate of $4,500 in addition to what I would have gotten on my trade then I’d take some of that porkulus.

Most cars that get really poor milage are gass guzzlers like mine and are worth a lot more than $4,500. What a dumb bill.

watson007 on June 10, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Be cautious!! If you accept the $4500, the One will then be able to limit your salary at some future date.

iflyfish on June 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Unless I’m mistaken don’t you have to have a job to qualify for a loan to buy a NEW car? Besides I like my old clunker!

Eagles Dominion on June 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Several years ago a woman was high on cocaine and booze and she rode a horse head-on into a train traveling 80 miles an hour. All they had left to work with was the woman’s hair and the horse’s ass. They were able to put them together and now she’s Speaker of the House!!

Sorry… I just couldn’t help myself!

Eagles Dominion on June 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Here we go spreading the wealth around. The only people who can really take advantage of the program are those who have a vehicle so old that it’s worth less than $4500. For them, the US Taxpayer, who already bought 60% of the car company, now get to subsidize their down payment on a new vehicle.

katablog.com on June 10, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Wrong! It’s not a dumb bill to those who have been waiting for that wealth to be spread around. It’s an incredibly “smart” way to make US Taxpayers help poor people buy cars. Only O’s “poor folk” own cars worth less than $4500. Though the program is probably going to surprise him when he finds out that one of the reason many people are “poor” is because they buy cars they can’t afford.

katablog.com on June 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I have a buddy in NYC, he goes around gun shops in the state buying old junky guns. He then turns them in to the NYPD for $250 bucks! on a good week he makes $2000.
I can see him now, buying some old klunker for a few hundred and turning it into $4500. Then again who wants to buy a Government Motors Car?

beatenbutnotbroken on June 10, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I preferr to buy American whenever possible thus FORD or HONDA for me!

Ef Government Motors, Cry-Seller and the UnAmericanWorkers.

I Love my Dodge Van (pre-gov’t motors), my Jeep Grand Cherokee, my Ford F-150 and my sons (pre government motors) Monte Carlo, but only Ford or Honda from now on. No support for Dem run companies.

dhunter on June 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I’ll keep my gas-guzzling F250 4X4 (10-12 mpg)

I always called it the beast. One day my wife and I took some stuff to the dump. When we came out, the weight was 6660 lbs.

davidk on June 10, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Kind of like having Panetta head the CIA….stupid.

Or like having Barry as President

Fed45 on June 10, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I read somewhere this is already happen, free cars to welfare recipients, but the cars are used, that now can be traded in and it would not surprise me they make up the difference, or most of it. Your joke is real life.

Ed Laskie on June 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Ed Laskie on June 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Wonderful. Free food, free housing, free cell phones and now free cars. What’s the incentive to try for a job?

Dark-Star on June 10, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Raise the price of oil with tax hikes and limits on drilling.

Dollayo on June 11, 2009 at 1:21 AM

And when it all goes to hell, the blind, ignorant masses (at least 52% of the electorate) will be wondering why “nobody” warned them. Fools.
The rest of us won’t have any energy left to laugh at them. There will be nothing left to laugh about.

SKYFOX on June 11, 2009 at 8:09 AM

The only thing Nancy knows about cars is she had sex once, in high school, in the back of a new 1927 Hupmobile.

Jeff from WI on June 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM

With a face like that why would anyone buy a car or anything?

Jeff from WI on June 11, 2009 at 8:12 AM Great pun, and all this time I thought she was actually the result of an early withdrawal. Thus, the desire for fiscal irresponsibility.

MSGTAS on June 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

With a face like that why would anyone buy a car or anything?

MSGTAS on June 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Point very well taken!…LOL

Jeff from WI on June 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Imagine the firestorm this will create, if this is mandated to only include the purchase of a new GM, or Chrysler car. I don’t think foreign automakers, who build, and manufacture plants for jobs in this country, and pay taxes, will be to thrilled with that deal. Nor would I. I refuse to by a government made car.

They’ll build them, like they run things in D.C. Half assed!

capejasmine on June 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

They’ll build them, like they run things in D.C. Half assed!

capejasmine on June 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Introducing the 2011 Government Motors “Half assed!” Pelosi Model

Jeff from WI on June 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I took advantage of a similar program in Texas and traded in my wife’s ’94 Geo Prizm. It would have only gotten me about $2,000 at retail and the Texas program gave me a $3,000 voucher. It’s a good way to get old cars off the road. However, I wonder about the MY restriction. Wouldn’t these guys also want the old, carbon-monoxide producing cars off the road? Maybe smog helps with GW. Also, what’s up with the crushing and shredding? The Texas program simply wanted the car sent to a salvage yard where it would likely be parted out for a couple of years and then crushed.

Kafir on June 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM