Visual aid: Just how miserably has the stimulus failed?

posted at 8:27 pm on June 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

Remember this guy? He did a nifty vid a month ago along these same lines to demonstrate just how minuscule The One’s budget cuts were. (I linked it at the time but it’s lost somewhere in the HA archives.) I’m not sure his math’s right on this one, though. Granted, even by the moronic “created or saved” standard, the stimulus is a giant bust so far, having “saved” in three months just 150,000 jobs — less than half the amount that were lost in May alone. But count along with me. The stimulus bill was signed on February 17; even if we treat all job losses that month as having occurred after it went into effect (which we shouldn’t), we lost 681,000 in February, 652,000 in March, 504,000 in April, and 345,000 in May for a grand total just shy of 2.2 million jobs. A crushing amount, but per the video’s analogy, not quite the full table let alone the table plus another few dozen pennies on top.

Just a nitpick, though. Bottom line: There are an awful lot of pennies on the floor, especially given all the pennies that went into keeping them on the table. And don’t think the Democrats aren’t worried about it.

Comments

The question is this: of all the folks who lost their jobs, how many are thinking in their heads, “hmmm, since I’m getting paid for not working, thanks to Uncle Sam, is it really worth me going back to work at all in order to make x-number of dollars on top of what I’m making for doing nothing?” How many are thinking of making themselves willful slaves of the government? Proverbs 22:7.

Send_Me on June 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Obama has done nothing more than destroyed and prevented jobs. I wouldn’t trust him to grasp the finer points of Monopoly let alone the economy.

The 10th Planet on June 10, 2009 at 12:40 AM

You’re asking liberals to think here. It’ll never fly.

Mojave Mark on June 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM

I don’t think I get what the last bag of pennies is, but the idea is absolutely sound, and will be completely ignored by those in power.

ConservadorRebelde on June 10, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Oh, but it’s just got to work! Just be patient, give it more time…and a few hundred billion more et voila!

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 10, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Alright then, who’s gonna clean that mess up????

Shy Guy on June 10, 2009 at 4:27 AM

I’m going to reserve judgment until I hear what the TOTUS has to say. These numbers sound like “fuzzy” math to me, especially since we all know we’re losing 500,000,000 jobs a month.

/sarcasm

rogue780 on June 10, 2009 at 5:50 AM

You’re asking liberals to think here. It’ll never fly.

Mojave Mark on June 10, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Exactly….just keep printing Barry.

**sigh**

fpenza on June 10, 2009 at 6:25 AM

Good stuff, the RNC should be using this as an ad. I wonder if the dems can understand even this simple visual or do we have to reduce it to counting on fingers too? When they have no fingers left maybe they’ll understand…anyway the resurrection of Paygo is basically a confession re: their absolute lack of imagination as to getting us out of this mess, other than using a tired rehash of FDR’s failed policies.

imperator on June 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM

ARE YOU BETTER OFF TODAY THAN YOU WERE 5 MONTHS AGO.

i DON’T THINK SOOOOOOOO!

bluegrass on June 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Hey, you just made Fox & Friends with this post. Way to go, AP!

Tennman on June 10, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Its the economy STUPID. Obama is a miserable failure. His mission was NOT accomplished. And he illegally bankrupted a sovereign nation without UN approval.

Geochelone on June 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM

AP, I hope Michelle keeps you here at HA. Now don’t let this go to your head. One slip up and you are outta here.

Geochelone on June 10, 2009 at 9:08 AM

The pennies on the floor are the waste we know about. How many pennies are under the table?

moonsbreath on June 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Did anyone hear Rush yesterday? I cam in halfway thru the discussion, but there was someone explaining the formula used for the amount of jobs that Obama has saved and would save. And Rush used that same formula and showed that Bush saved more jobs than any other President in history. LOL

Of course, I’m not sure if the formula was a real formula or not since I came in halfway though it.

jeffn21 on June 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

When I first saw this table with pennies I thought they were doing a piece on the total in tips from Biden, made by waitresses at the defunct Katie’s Italian restaurant.

Jeff from WI on June 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Send_Me on June 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Well I have thought about unemployment/welfare at times in my life, but it would be a huge pay cut and I’m middle class. I find it hard that very many people who have any kind of an education think that is the way to go, but everyone who was poor may buy into that.

I think the real problem anymore is our culture. Too many people compare their lives to Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, rather than looking at where they were 4 years ago and where they are now. Before Bush was elected a Plasma TV cost about $15,000, now they are about $1000. I would say that is progress, but too many people don’t look at it that way.

jeffn21 on June 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Barack Obama told us that if we didn’t pass the stimulus, unemployemnt could get as high as 8.8%. He may have been right!

Knight_of_the_Mind on June 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Could it be that he is experimenting with drugs again? Ever time I see MSM highlighting his speeched to the world, I see him wakening on the sidewalk with the chickens as he once described himself. What the hell as the world come to!!!!

bluegrass on June 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

jeffn21 on June 10, 2009

“jobs created or saved” is a semantic trick. You cannot calculate saved jobs by any measure, and thus you cannot be proven to be a liar. To our great national shame, the trick is working…so far.

SKYFOX on June 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Great visualization. Is anyone seriously trying to tally the number of new jobs prevented? For instance, newly imposed and enhanced drilling and mining restrictions directly kill US jobs. (Morever, the explicit threat of higher taxes and greater unionization risks affect hiring practices.) Those non-job-pennies never make it on the table and “jobs prevented” seems at least as legitimate an economic measure as “jobs saved”.

clorensen on June 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Is it too early to pose the question:

Is Barack Obama the worst president in our history?

Discuss.

Labamigo on June 10, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Send_Me on June 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Plenty of them. Quite simply, jobs are becoming so scarce in some places it isn’t even worth trying any longer. It often ruins ones pride and honor to take free handouds, but pride and honor don’t pay the bills…

Dark-Star on June 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM

If course the stimulus isn’t working. How could something that would never work on a small scale (i.e. spending your way out of debt, borrowing 50% of what you spend) be expected to work on a massive scale. Am I oversimplifying it?

People already regret voting for him, they just aren’t making it obvious. In a few years, you will have a hard time finding someone that will admit voting for him at all. Just sayin’

brotherjohn on June 10, 2009 at 10:06 PM

The only thing I see working as a direct cause of his being in office is the flight crew for Air Force One staying busy with all the family outings. Who was it who said ” we must all make sacrifices during these hard and difficult times ”

Like Bill Clinton said, ” The biggest fairy tale ever told”.

bluegrass on June 11, 2009 at 9:22 AM