Video: Obama orders Odierno to shave Colbert’s head

posted at 6:35 pm on June 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

Yeah, yeah, I know: “Doesn’t The One have better things to do than Comedy Central cameos?” Relax. It was a morale booster for the troops (and a shrewd PR stunt, natch) and Colby deserved some extra buzz for being willing to entertain over there. As far as I know, his is the first American TV show to broadcast from a war zone, an especially cool thing to do given his feelings about the war. And quite honestly, considering the political leanings of the crowd that watches him, this may be some of the best press for the mission that they’ve seen in ages. Even his joke about why we don’t hear about Iraq on the news anymore now that things have quieted down is decidedly conservative-leaning.

As for the head-shaving, Reuters’s photo caption says it was “pretend” but, er, it doesn’t look pretend to me. Although it is true that Odierno started the job but didn’t finish it — a neat inversion of his current role as head of MNF-I.

The Colbert Report Mon – Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Obama Orders Stephen’s Haircut – Ray Odierno
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes Political Humor Stephen Colbert in Iraq

Comments

Colbert was supposed to show a taped version of Sarah saying hi to troops. Where’s it?

promachus on June 9, 2009 at 6:38 PM

nicely done. i might even watch his show because of this.

homesickamerican on June 9, 2009 at 6:39 PM

It still sickens me that Obama is “ordering” our military around.

Good on Colbert, though.

SouthernGent on June 9, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Have to admit, I laughed through the entire episode. I believe the entire week will be broadcast from Camp victory.
Loved his suit!

redshirt on June 9, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Is it?

Jim Treacher on June 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I’m pretty sure the troops would not mind having this supposed CinC in that chair instead. And that’s putting it mildly.

elduende on June 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Yay Iraq War?

Chuck Schick on June 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Without my hair what would I blow dry?

Your mushy brain?

Disturb the Universe on June 9, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I thought the whole episode was hilarious, but particularly his “basic training.” I can’t wait to show this to my soldier boyfriend.

Good on Colbert for visiting the troops, but even more for filming a bunch of episodes with them. That definitely will be a morale booster.

Yossarian on June 9, 2009 at 6:42 PM

cute jacket

bnelson44 on June 9, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Colbert is a major supporter of the troops, regardless of his other opinions about politics and the war. He’s very involved in charities for veterans and is on the board of donorschoose.org, which supports children of soldiers.

tneloms on June 9, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Also, General Odierno must be seriously intimidating in person. He looks HUGE.

Yossarian on June 9, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I don’t know. I really find it hard to hate Colbert. I know he’s a liberal comedian hack but I still like him.

Savrielle on June 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM

It’s a cool thing to do, especially given his own feelings about the war.

Call me a cynic but I’d have more respect if he’d done this during Bush’s term.

Now that their guy is president, liberals are suddenly patriots and cheerleaders for the troops.

Again…why wasn’t he joking about this a year ago?

The Ugly American on June 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I say good for him for going over there, as I say for any ‘celebrity’ that steps up for that. Even that insane Kathy Griffin.

I also got a kick out of the visual reference to Bob Hope at the beginning.

As for a Palin tape, I hadn’t heard about that, but I understand the whole week is coming from Iraq. Maybe saving for tonight or later. He did have McCain on tape last night.

JamesLee on June 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Reality: now considered “conservative-leaning.”

TheUnrepentantGeek on June 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Obama Sucks!

Firebird on June 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Again…why wasn’t he joking about this a year ago?

The Ugly American on June 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM

An excellent question, posted by my brothah from another mothah

Ugly on June 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Colbert is getting buzzed,excellent!

Could be worse though,like
getting buzzed by an A-10
Warthog!Tee-Hee.

canopfor on June 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Have to admit, I chuckled at Obama’s crack about his own ears.

MadisonConservative on June 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Have to admit, I chuckled at Obama’s crack about his own ears.

MadisonConservative on June 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Well he earn some respect for his acting.

the_nile on June 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Is Colbert wearing the new Class A’s?

SPCOlympics on June 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM

When a General engages in “slap-stick” he walks a fine line between “endearing/humanizing” himself to the troops and just looking like a fool,and in this case also a lackey puppet.

MB4 on June 9, 2009 at 6:53 PM

elduende on June 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

How about one of those dunk-the dork things at the fair?

MB4 on June 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Hey, if he can give the troops a little comic relieve, so be it. Personally, I would have went a little closer on the buzz but though; and just for good measure, give him a field shave with a strait edge razor. Dude needs a total body waxing then roll him around a bit in the desert sand in his skivvies. The see what kind of sense of humor he has.

wonk-a-donk on June 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

elduende on June 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM

How about one of those dunk-the-dork things at the fair?

MB4 on June 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Hey, if he can give the troops a little comic relieve, so be it. Personally, I would have went a little closer on the buzz cut though; and just for good measure, give him a field shave with a strait edge razor. Dude needs a total body waxing then roll him around a bit in the desert sand in his skivvies. The see what kind of sense of humor he has.

wonk-a-donk on June 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Hey, if he can give the troops a little comic relieve, so be it. Personally, I would have went a little closer on the buzz cut though; and just for good measure, give him a field shave with a strait edge razor. Dude needs a total body waxing then roll him around a bit in the desert sand in his skivvies. Then see what kind of sense of humor he has.

wonk-a-donk on June 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I’d pay good cash money to have Colbert on one of my old ships and subject him to a Shellback initiation. Ogabe too for that matter.

Bishop on June 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

MB4 on June 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

That’ll do for some. I was thinking more in terms of a recreational waterboarding.

elduende on June 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Call me a cynic but I’d have more respect if he’d done this during Bush’s term.

Again…why wasn’t he joking about this a year ago?

The Ugly American on June 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Colbert has been wearing and selling his WristStrong bracelets, the proceeds of which go to the Yellow Ribbon Fund (which helps injured servicemen), since 2006. He has made a big deal out of this as a running theme on his show since then.

tneloms on June 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Good to see the troops having a good time………….

……….. God Bless them All!

Seven Percent Solution on June 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Say what you want, I can’t NOT like Stephen Colbert. Obama, however…

cjtony97 on June 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM

The show also included a taped message from former presidential candidate John McCain: “As a former military man I have a word of advice: ‘Make sure to always take the time to clean your musket.'”

Even if I disliked his politics, I always did like that McCain was capable of self-deprecation.

apollyonbob on June 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Bishop on June 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

No foolin, we could make Bush King Neptune and Cheney can be the “baby”…

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Good for Colbert. And yes, Obama is a nice PR guy. If only that were the only skill required…

PattyJ on June 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Journalists were directed by the military not to ask soldiers anything broader than how they felt about the show but given the program’s content, that left the door wide open.

Asked whether he agrees with Colbert that the US should just declare victory in Iraq, Sgt. Charles Williams, from New Orleans, replies: “Didn’t somebody already do that?”

That’s it? That’s the only quote they’re able to get from soldiers?

How interesting! The single quote that they use to represent the feelings of the soldiers is a thinly veiled jab at Bush … That must be how all the soldiers feel then!

I mean, they wouldn’t cherry pick off all the quotes actually saying something positive about the war, right? Right?

apollyonbob on June 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM

No foolin, we could make Bush King Neptune and Cheney can be the “baby”…
Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I’d secretly remove the oysters from the toilet bowl and replace them with what you normally find: “Go ahead boys, fish something out with your teeth.”

Bishop on June 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM

When I met John McCain he challenged me for Shellback. I had my card as always.

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM

As Coach Corso would say “Not so fast my friend.”

The Gunny was there with “Mail Call” back in 2003.

cobrakai99 on June 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Shellback initiation

Bishop on June 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

A what?

Ugly on June 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Ugly on June 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Its what we call people who have “crossed the line” on a seagoing vessel.

Old ceremony. You are a ‘wog you wouldnt understand

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:32 PM

When I met John McCain he challenged me for Shellback. I had my card as always.
Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I no longer carry mine though occasionally I’ll run into former Navy somewhere and we’ll converse about our Shellback experiences.

One of my old chiefs was a Golden Shellback, believe it or not, though he claimed “Golden” wasn’t the only term they were known by.

Bishop on June 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Call me a cynic but I’d have more respect if he’d done this during Bush’s term.

I’m calling you a cynic. He wasn’t asked to go until last summer, and the election probably interfered with his plans.

Also, pre-Surge, no comedy show in its right mind would set foot in Iraq.

And yes, Colbert did go the full Monty with his hair.

YYZ on June 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

apollyonbob on June 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM

I don’t know if it was a jab or not, but maybe the sergeant isn’t aware of what the Democrats were saying a couple of years ago. “The war…is…lost.”

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

This doesnt excuse most of Colbert’s bullshit over the span of time, but he should get his props for it. The troops he so gleefully disdained for many years got a kick out of it, and their morale is what concerns me, not Colbert’s standing with his audience of amoral braindead dickweeds.

Mike D. on June 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Also, pre-Surge, no comedy show in its right mind would set foot in Iraq.

YYZ on June 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Celebrities who could swallow their disdain for Bush have been going to Iraq for a quite a while now. Since at least 2004, I think. I think even Al Franken was one.

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Bishop on June 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I have the good fortune of being an “Emerald Shellback” from the “tour” the Navy gave me of West Africa.

Mike D. on June 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM

When has Colbert ever denigrated the troops?

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM

For more thoughts on Colbert’s motives, check out this interview.

give the guy a chance.

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM

When has Colbert ever denigrated the troops?

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I don’t follow Colbert. But, the celebs have their guy in the White House now, so they can fly their flags and beat paths to Iraq or wherever. Kewl!

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I’m so glad we can love America again (5 Months into Obama Administration that is), Pfff…. At least Colbert pointed out that he SHOULD have been to Iraq earlier.

Actually, It was a very funny Episode!

LordJack on June 9, 2009 at 8:01 PM

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I doubt that was it at all. It may have been that he was not allowed to bring such a huge operation to Iraq until now.

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Colbert is hilarious

athensboy on June 9, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Have to admit, I chuckled at Obama’s crack about his own ears.

MadisonConservative on June 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Me too. It felt weird.

Joe Caps on June 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM

It is totally fn UNSAT for a general in the Army to debase his uniform with that shtick. It is unbecoming of a gentleman and an officer.

As for Obamugabe, I don’t expect much from him anyway.

TheSitRep on June 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Bishop on June 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Amen that! And lets make sure it is a REAL one, not the new, watered-down PC ohnowecan’tdothatit’s HAZING stuff they do now.

Several of my division opted out, and got their cards anyway. I was proud to have actually done it, although I admit in ’93 give or take a year, it was probably a lot watered down already from what you all did.

JamesLee on June 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM

TheSitRep on June 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM

We will have to disagree there. What about it, specifically is unsat. I dont know how you ground pounder operates, but when an Admiral or CO on deployment is willing to take minimal part in a morale-boosting activity, it is well recieved.

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM

JamesLee on June 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I did mine in 04 and we did a pretty good one, women and men all.

And if you didnt do it, you didnt get your card, it is that simple

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM

He was brilliant on Strangers with Candy, but ever since then it’s been downhill.

blue13326 on June 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Nope, that is the kind of crap you’d have a 1st Shirt or a Gunny do.

TheSitRep on June 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM

like I said Sitrep, we will have to disagree on this one

Squid Shark on June 9, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Credit where credit is due, that was funny. Even Pres. Obama had some great lines.

Sometimes, laughter is all we got left. If we lose our sense of humor during these troubled times, what do we have left….

Yakko77 on June 9, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Is Colbert wearing the new Class A’s?
SPCOlympics

It’s the BDU’s for Obama’s “new” law enforcement approach to the war on terror.

This is what the civilian lawyers will be in when we air drop them into Taliban/AQ country, subpoena in hand.

DSchoen on June 9, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Mike D. on June 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Colbert has never expressed disdain for the troops, he supports them. As previous posts have pointed out, he lends support to veterans’ charities. You’re obviously angry with him for mocking conservatives, but at least get his record straight.

He seems to be doing a more even-handed show because he’s trying to entertain people of many different ideologies… the troops represent all of us. Mocking authority is always a big hit with our folks in uniform.

Constantine on June 9, 2009 at 9:59 PM

As far as I know, his is the first American TV show to broadcast from a war zone..

No it’s not. WWE has been doing live shows from Iraq and Afghanistan for about 6 years now. In fact they are really big on helping out troops, as they toured various medical centers and even went to some of the hot places in Iraq to visit troops

LordDaMan on June 9, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Also, pre-Surge, no comedy show in its right mind would set foot in Iraq.

YYZ on June 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

The surge began in Jan 2007 and ended Jul 2008.

Yes, by all means let’s praise Colbert for entertaining the troops and supporting their Commander-in-Chief

What a guy.

The Ugly American on June 9, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Haha, that was some pretty good fun.

AbaddonsReign on June 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Is it just me or does Colbert’s new haircut make him look like Matt Lauer?

Dreadnought223 on June 9, 2009 at 10:27 PM

The surge began in Jan 2007 and ended Jul 2008.

What a guy.

You’re right. He’s a jerk. If he were a real man, he would have entertained the troops in theater while Bush was President. But since he went now – even though he’s there to provide mirth to the armed services – he’s a loser sissy.

YYZ on June 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM

As much as I disagree with President Obama, that was pretty funny. When will repubs get any sense of humour???? So serious. Lighten up and enjoy the ride…

flash044 on June 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Wow, ratings for The Colbert Report / The Daily Show must be in the toilet these days, if they’re so obviously pandering. Of course, they’re just doing Obama’s bidding and keeping up the campaign till 2012. No, thanks.

alliebobbitt on June 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Colbert has never expressed disdain for the troops, he supports them.

Constantine on June 9, 2009 at 9:59 PM

The sunshine patriots of the left always supported the troops but not the mission… while accusing them of “air-bombing villages” and “murdering innocent Iraqis.” Oh, for oil, natch.

alliebobbitt on June 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM

tneloms on June 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Colbert is a patriot and hilarious.

AprilOrit on June 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Obama is not funny

pimadave on June 10, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Lets have Obama just do Saturday Night Live every week in order to save our country. Save the politics for those who know what to do…the adults.

flash044 on June 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Ride? More like a rollercoaster into a flaming inferno where we pay for everybodies ticket.

dthorny on June 10, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Um, he painted McCain as a senile geezer who didn’t really do anything heroic in Vietnam for a whole year. I wouldn’t say that was “supporting the troops”.

Speedwagon82 on June 10, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Oh, ha ha ha ha ha ha…LOL…ROTFLMAO…that’s just tooooo cute!!!

Bleah!

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 10, 2009 at 1:42 AM

I note of course that Obama only appears in a starring role. Still, good line about his ears, and credit for doing his part well. And full credit to Colbert for doing all these shows.

It is kind of funny, though, that the “old geezer” is naturally funnier than the hip, cool, HopenChange.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on June 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM

I know its a joke and pretty funny but with obama taking away the rights of business owners, telling private citizens how much money they can make, taking over private business he looks pretty at ease directing the military to violate someones civil rights. Im just sayin

DieHippieDie on June 10, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Hey, President Obama doesn’t have the authority to order a citizen to get a haircut… yet.

Ordinary1 on June 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM

I remember the argument was that Bush would leave Obama with a mess that he would have to deal with.
The truth is that Bush left Obama with a victory that he can take credit for even though he was against it.
What a difference a lefty President can do for the media’s attitude.

RobCon on June 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM

It’s sad to see that room full of morale depraved men and women in uniforms who just cant handle the stress. That’s what happens when you lose a war./sarc

Keep up the good fight over their men and women. We’ll do our best to fight for you here.

shick on June 10, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Ordinary1 on June 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM

He didn’t order Colbert to get a haircut. He ordered Odierno to give one.

shick on June 10, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Remember the argument was that Bush would leave Obama with a mess that he would have to deal with.
What a difference a lefty President can do for the media’s attitude.

RobCon on June 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Lord Unicorn is about to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if he doesn’t start being a REAL CIC. Meh.

Firefly56 on June 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I’m sorry, but this makes me sick. It’s just another flavor of this crap.

Cylor on June 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM