Up, HopeandChange version

posted at 5:05 pm on June 9, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I think I may have another good editorial cartoonist to follow.  Gary Varvel at the Indianapolis Star takes the excellent new movie Up and applies it to Obamanomics:

Unfortunately, the Obama administration’s answer to the deepening deficits and runaway spending has been, “More balloons!”  Unlike the storms in the film, though, the storms in real life will eventually ground Obama, but probably not before he crashes the economy all over again.  Get used to hanging onto that hose, kid.

Comments

That’s excellent!

ladyingray on June 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM

*5 Stars,and two thumbs pointing straight UP!!hehe

canopfor on June 9, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Unfortunately, the Obama administration’s answer to the deepening deficits and runaway spending has been, “More balloons!” Unlike the storms in the film, though, the storms in real life will eventually ground Obama, but probably not before he crashes the economy all over again.

You are very right, and I believe this continuation of the same failed policy of spending, is deliberate. He means to tank the economy.

Love the analogy though. lol

capejasmine on June 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM

It puts the lotion on or it gets the hose.

CMonster on June 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Awesomeness!

shick on June 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM

The Fifth Dimension,

come ride in my Obama
beautiful Spending balloon!!

NO WAY!!!(Sarc)

canopfor on June 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Get used to hanging onto that hose, kid.

Uh, there’s a Bawny joke there somewhere.

Laura in Maryland on June 9, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Varvel, like Ramirez, is awesome.

nickj116 on June 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Heh. By coincidence: as I mentioned in a discussion elsewhere, a recent Ramirez cartoon looks suspiciously like an old Varvel cartoon.

apostic on June 9, 2009 at 5:15 PM

O/T,speaking of UP,just had a Canadian Snowbird,
buzz our city at about 500 feet,so cool!!

canopfor on June 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Hey now, I heard Obama say today that he was going to fix the out of control spending…

myrenovations on June 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Laura in Maryland on June 9, 2009 at 5:12 PM

EW!

I am praying Hensarling can make some headway. Otherwise, we are going to suffer in a major way until 2010.

freeus on June 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM

We’re all getting hosed.

sannhet on June 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Five stars, Obama hosing the taxpayers.

eaglewingz08 on June 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM

The guy at the end of the rope looks like Barney Frank, except without the harelip.

UltimateBob on June 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Gary Varvel, you are very talented, insightful and inciteful. Please keep it Up!

Loxodonta on June 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I think I may have another good editorial cartoonist to follow.

Ed: Might I recommend Hope n’ Change as well.

The Ugly American on June 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

He really cannot be this stupid. This is an orchestrated effort to crash the dollar and implement a one world currency. I’m no conspiracy nut, but it seems to me the writing is on the wall. Putin and China have already endorsed the idea. An economically wounded America will not be able to resist. This is being done on purpose.

JAM on June 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I love Gary Varvel. He’s the only reason I check the Indystar website daily.

revolutionismyname on June 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM

He really cannot be this stupid.

Never EVER underestimate the limits of human stupidity.

Though I’m inclined to agree with you, he knows what’s up.

JABB on June 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Give Obama a break Ed…after all, he did in fact inherit (insert fiscal/international relations/social problem here)!

CheeksMagee on June 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Obama is the creepy guy in the fancy suit forcing the old guy out of his property. Just replace the cell phone w/ a teleprompter.

itsnotaboutme on June 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I think the expiration date is coming due on that argument Cheeks. Obama owns all this spending. Bush doubled the deficit and Obama has quadrupled it in 5 months. Inherited my *ss!

JAM on June 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM

O/T,speaking of UP,just had a Canadian Snowbird,
buzz our city at about 500 feet,so cool!!

canopfor on June 9, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Here in AZ, a Canadian snowbird is a part-time (winter) resident.

I’m guessing that’s not the kind you’re talking about.

AZCoyote on June 9, 2009 at 6:24 PM

That’s great!!

vcferlita on June 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Love it! *clapping in appreciation*

TeeDee on June 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Here in AZ,

AZCoyote on June 9,2009 at 6:24PM.

AZCoyote:

Good catch on the retired Canadians,it was our Canadian
Snowbirds,buzzing our city,for tomorrows Airshow,after
I thought about checking out their schedule!

canopfor on June 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Toldja, Ed.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on June 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Get used to hanging onto that hose, kid.

I wish I didn’t have to.

The movie was great, and this cartoon shows a good visual representation of what is happening. Kudos to the cartoonist.

ConservadorRebelde on June 10, 2009 at 1:41 AM

CheeksMagee on June 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Indeed, he “inherited” budgets that his party wrote since they controlled congress and he voted for.

PackerBronco on June 10, 2009 at 1:41 AM

JAM on June 9, 2009

One world currency?? Damn, I’m still waiting for the Amero. Will it be printed in every language or just have cute little stick-figure pictographs? Will it be backed by gold, silver, cocaine or the full faith and credit of Emperor Obama?
BTW, when the Obama dollar comes out, will I be a racist to refuse to use or accept it as change?

SKYFOX on June 10, 2009 at 8:30 AM

That’s my hometown paper. I always like Varvel’s comics!

tikvah on June 10, 2009 at 9:59 AM

When the next unemployment numbers come out in July with double digits then BHO will own this economy. A democratic congress started this and no credit to Bush as it would be hard to label him a Free market man. I don’t know how many times we will have to learn this lesson. This time I fear our lesson will be painful. Regain had it correct. Lower taxes means more money into the market which results in higher revenues. This government has steered so hard left the wheels have come off ground and we are going to roll over. Carter gave us 21% interest rates lets see how high we can go this time. I don’t blame former communist Russia who has been there done that to want to get rid of the dollar as international standard. I wouldn’t want to be tied to that anchor ether as it goes over board. To correct all this is a libertarian solution. Get rid of ATF, ED, DEA, USDA, DOC, HUD, HHS, DOL, DOT, and give power back to States. We could balance budget, cut taxes and have a surplus in short order

Ed Laskie on June 10, 2009 at 11:04 AM