Nation: Obama in big trouble if unemployment rises further

posted at 10:55 am on June 9, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The Obama administration predicted that the massive deficit spending Barack Obama pushed in the stimulus would save the country from runaway unemployment, which they defined as 8.8%.  With unemployment racing higher than the doomsday predictions after spending $800 billion on liberal pet projects, even the Left has realized that this presidency could be in serious trouble.  John Nichols at The Nation warns that crossing the double-digit mark on unemployment will pin the problem not on Obama’s predecessor, but on Obama himself:

When the federal government actually acknowledges that the country has a double-digit unemployment rate, when a figure that is above 10 percent becomes that official number — something that the trend lines suggest could happen this summer — the country reaches an emotional and political tipping point.

“Ten is a tangible, very clear reminder that this is a severe recession,” explains Ohio State University economics professor Bruce Weinberg. “Ten becomes something psychological. People will say: ‘Whoa, we’ve got a double-digit unemployment rate.’”

Politically, it is the point at which people start looking for someone to blame. Obama and his people will blame the president’s predecessor. This is appropriate, as George Bush’s economic and regulatory policies were incredibly unsound and destructive.

The problem, of course, is that the blame game gets harder when it becomes possible to link a sitting president’s actions to soaring unemployment figures.

States that have been especially hard hit by the current recession — Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, among others — and urban areas that have been devastated by it (according to the Labor Department, 93 metropolitan areas registering an unemployment rate of at least 10 percent in April) now face the prospect of significant additional job losses in the coming months as a result of the administration’s auto bailout scheme.

John and I have widely divergent ideas on economics, and John’s argument in this piece is that Obama hasn’t been radical enough in his approach to the economic crisis.  He dislikes Obama’s current economic team mainly because they aren’t progressive enough.  John objects to the bailout not because of the government overreach and its movement towards corporatism, but because the restructuring will result in lost jobs. Of course, the option here was bankruptcy, which would have also resulted in lost jobs — but would have cost the American taxpayers a lot less in the short and long terms.

Interestingly, we agree on the main points, but couldn’t agree less on the underlying arguments.  AndI give John high marks for intellectual honesty in this passage:

In fact, the real unemployment rate, as opposed to the official rate, is well over 15 percent.

That’s because the official unemployment rate — which as of Friday stood at at 9.4 percent, following another leap in jobless claims for May — is not, as economist John Williams has noted, “figured in the way that that the average person thinks of unemployment, meaning figured the way it was estimated back during the Great Depression.”

Normally, the Left likes to trot that out during Republican administrations and leave it in the barn during Democratic presidencies.

Even if we wildly disagree on economics, we agree that Obama will own this unemployment cycle, and soon.  The 10% mark is a psychological barrier that Obama simply cannot avoid.  Even without it, blaming Bush has a shelf life whose expiration date is rapidly approaching.  Bush didn’t spend trillions of dollars in 2009 and promise that it would create “or save” jobs.  Voters will get tired of hearing how many jobs Obama thinks he’s “saved” while unemployment continues to rise.

Obama has been in charge for almost five months and got every single bit of economic policy he wanted from Congress.  If the economy remains mired and debt keeps skyrocketing, people will start to ask what they got for all of their great-grandchildren’s money.  Even a Party of No will look pretty good in comparison under those conditions, and perhaps especially so.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

At the rate the “official” unemployment is going at, he’ll blow past 10% when the next numbers are released on July 2.

That’s going to coincide with the July 4 “Tea Parties”, so this could get interesting.

teke184 on June 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

98ZJUSMC on June 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

justincase on June 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM

My mother and grandparents had first hand experience with communism (under Stalin). They were fortunate to get out.

You tell the better half and kids how lucky they are to live in the US and how important it is not to allow it to turn socialist/communist.

Disturb the Universe on June 9, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Unemployement has DOUBLED since Bush left. It was only 5.5% this time last year, now since THE “GREAT ONE” has taken over it has skyrocked to 9.4%

Where is the media? Where are the soup kitchen stories? Where are all the stories about tent cities like they were doing last fall?

You people in the media MAKE ME SICK!!!

rednebulastudios32 on June 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM

President for life won’t make a second term.

twodogsfing on June 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM

It was many decades before either country “did well”.

Actually, that’s just for WWII, after which the US poured lots of money into both countries.

Japan did not take part in WWI. As for Germany, ever heard of the Wiemar Republic?

MarkTheGreat on June 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Hi Mark,

Keep in mind that West Germany did very well in the 1950s. We gave all of Western Europe money to rebuild ala the Marshall Plan. Why did West Germany do so well in the 1950s and France and the UK do so badly? West Germany drastically deregulated it’s economy while France and especially the UK socialized. The UK instituted it’s national health disaster in 1947, I believe. It went through a severe recession throughout most of the 1950s under Labor, had some respite in the early 60s with the Tories till scandal brought them down and had a severely awful 1970s again under Labor (remember the union strikes every week?). The UK in the 1970s was fertile ground for fun but nihilistic movements like punk rock, btw. I guess what I’m saying is that all of Europe suffered from the war and afterwards some countries recovered and some didn’t, none where stimulated by rebuilding or all would have recovered economically, so Ann in CA is wrong.

Ann NY on June 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM

“That’s because McCain’s general election finances were limited by his enrollment in the public funding program that gave him $84 million in taxpayer funds but capped his spending at that amount. Including the taxpayer grant, McCain’s campaign brought in $220 million, while Obama – who did not take the grant – brought in $746 million, largely from small, online donations. “

William Amos on June 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Nation in big trouble if???

We’re in big trouble now. And anyone who doesn’t see the light is gonna feel the heat. It’s coming.

califcon on June 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I feel it keenly because for every moment that I’m learning what we need to confront, my better half and kids are wishing I could just forget about saving the world and concentrate on them. As a Christian, I struggle with where my priorities should be. But if my kids are going to be brainwashed into rejecting the Bible that’s deadly. A soldier can’t have a good family life if the family is shot dead by the enemy either. Why can’t I just let politics figure itself out and not make waves? I wish I could. But I fear that if I do, the enemy is going to steal everything – even my kids.

The list at that link makes it abundantly clear that’s what they’re after.

justincase on June 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM

You’re not alone there buddy. I have a friend who I discussed that very same thing with this past weekend (although his job puts him in a different league in this struggle.) As you know, there’s no choice but to focus on both the day-to-day and the big picture, and try to maintain some balance. That’s the job description, unfortunately.

JiangxiDad on June 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM

J-Dad at 1:57

justincase on June 9, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Wow!! Mission accomplished. Don’t know what to say.

JiangxiDad on June 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Geeesh, although it would mean the loss of jobs for people that need to feed their families and keep a roof over their head, I have to be honest with everyone. Because it would make Obama look so bad, I wouldn’t mind seeing unemployment go to 11%.

But then on the other hand… The worse things get for Obama, the more he can use his executive powers to FORCE changes in our system while stating he’s only doing it because we are in such dire need. This guy really sucks!!!

Giovanni

Giovanniworld on June 9, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Disturb the Universe at 6:09

Do your mother and grandmother say anything about what they see happening in America right now?

I love this country, love what she has always stood for. It cuts me to the heart to see what is happening.

How hard do we fight for her? I just can’t get “Coward of the County” out of my mind: Please don’t think I’m weak, I didn’t turn the other cheek. Papa, I sure hope you understand. Sometimes you gotta fight when you’re a man.

justincase on June 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

J-Dad at 6:56
My son has a hard time even looking at his middle school teachers, since they put up a wall display saying, “Celebrate Diversity” – followed by photos of notable people whose only point in common was that they were neither white nor Asian, including Malcolm X and Fidel Castro.

He kept saying, “Why can’t I be homeschooled?”

I’ve written a letter to the administrators expressing concern about that and similar things but haven’t sent it. My family doesn’t want me to make waves. Part of me says it’s a hopeless battle anyway so just try to keep my kids’ minds intact. But who are my kids going to marry, if everybody their age is brainwashed into apathy? What future will they have if this nation gives up on freedom?

Everybody’s afraid of losing their credibility. If I make a stink about this I’ll be considered crazy, my family will be considered crazy. I just can’t help but think that being thought crazy in the middle of a crazy world must really mean you’re the only sane one around. lol. Not that it makes my family feel any more at ease about it…

justincase on June 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM

300+ so I have not read them all and forgive if already stated.

1. May’s numbers will be revised up.

2. June’s numbers will be lower than actual.

3. A bunch of young job applicants and high minimum wage will cause the rate to jump by .5%-.6% effectively putting it in the dubs.

4. MSM will find something that makes it look like obama’s programs have been less than a dismal failure.

Rinse and repeat for each up coming month

jukin on June 9, 2009 at 8:01 PM

As RR might have said, recession is when your neighbor loses his job, depression is when you lose your job, recover is when BHO loses HIS job.

quasar on June 9, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Just wait until the Obama inflation kicks in. Free healthcare won’t mean very much if you’re paying $5 for a gallon of milk and no one is hiring (except temp summer jobs for youth)…

When unemployment hits 10% and inflation kicks in, Newsweek can call Obama ‘god’ and NBC’s Brian Williams can bow to TOTUS all day long and it won’t matter one bit at kitchen tables across this nation…people will blame Obama!

TN Mom on June 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM

I’m looking forward to some unemployed Congressmen, and other Chief Executive types from the oval office.

wonk-a-donk on June 9, 2009 at 8:32 PM

If Obama were really smart, he’d fire ALL of his economic advisers and bring in new blood.

They clearly have no idea what they’ve set in motion.

“Oh, yeah, Mr. President, we absolutely don’t expect the number to go over 8%, trust us!”
Yeah they should be gone, now. Oh and who the hell came up with that 4% GDP number prediction?
If the predictions I’m hearing come true, ain’t no way he wins a second term. No way.

How is The Nation going to portray Obama being in “big” trouble?
They’ll stop saying how “Enchanting!” his dates are?
It’s the freakin’ Nation.

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I am so tired of hearing about how destructive Bush’s economic policies supposedly were. The truth is things were going pretty well until the Democrats took control of Congress.

Terrye on June 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM

TN Mom:

And the health care won’t be free. From what I hear they will mandate that everyone have insurance, even if it means…that means everyone will have to spend money.

Terrye on June 9, 2009 at 8:37 PM

That’s the twisted reason I kind of want the dems to retain control of congress in 2010.

I want the dems to HAVE to take responsibility for this bs.
If the reps take control back of the house and senate, well the dems will just say “IT’S THEIR FAULT! IT’S THEIR FAULT!”

I don’t want the democrats to weasel out of the crap they’ve done.

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I listen to the MSM, then I come here and a few other places.

I can’t help but to think of the old fairy tale about the grasshopper and the ants. The ants are concerned about what’s coming, rightfully so. The grasshoppers are happy, they sing and dance, they have “The One”.

To me, the big issue is that the grasshoppers are mean, nasty, and will take what the ants have stored, by force. The grasshopper will not be denied. Ants, that we are, must prepare for a storm of locusts, they will descend upon us, they will try to strip us of all that we have saved. Ants need to be mentally and physically prepared to be ruthless, for that is what they should expect from this new breed of grasshopper.

M-14 2go on June 9, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I do believe, he’s literally trying to break the back bone of the American economy, and having a grand time doing it.

capejasmine on June 9, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I’ll never forget hearing him on 60 minutes, talking about how bad the economy was, and giggling while doing so. Unreal.

Annietxgrl on June 9, 2009 at 8:48 PM

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Several problems with your suggestion:

First, from a leadership standpoint, you don’t get volunteers to step forward from the JV squad after you’ve disgraced and professionally humilited your starters.

Secondly, After all the lies about what a brilliant economic team Obama was able to assemble, there would be zero confidence that the filthy liar would have credibility.

Finally, no sane professional would willingly try to undo the mess that this bad steward of the public wealth has caused. There is no easy or painless way to undo what has been done. The filthy liar in the White House will be unwilling to hold his UAW buddies accountable (like he promised) nor will he abandon his tendency to view everything in light of a political strategy. Fact of the matter is the deadbeats need to lose the homes they never should have bought. The heavily unionized auto companies need to fail just like the pretender in the White House.

highhopes on June 9, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Terrye on June 9, 2009 at 8:37 PM

It will costs us an arm & leg. If you’re over 50, it will cost one eye and a gallbladder. Get ready to give for the good of the country!

TN Mom on June 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM

When the Genius promised tax breaks for 95 percent I didn’t realize. I can see it now.

quasar on June 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Hey, I didn’t say it would be easy.

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Hey Barack, It’s call the Laffer Curve, not the Laugher curve. Genius.

quasar on June 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM

The problem is, the nature of Dem corporate tax policy is just not conducive to high employment. Period.

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Those “evil” corporations are going to be needed to help Barry out.
Ironic.

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM

when are all of the hammer and sickle ready jobs gonna come about? Where is my inhalator?

quasar on June 9, 2009 at 9:35 PM

What’s the difference between Obama and Bush?

1 stuff that happened before Bush took office, that’s Bush’s fault

2 Stuff that Obama did month after Barry took office? Well that’s Bush’s fault too.

Dave_d on June 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Those “evil” corporations are going to be needed to help Barry out.
Ironic.

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Here’s what I find ironic. Talk to an O-bot and you’ll hear at some point, “Just you wait. The economy’s going to turn around and Obama will get the credit and Democrats will rule FOREVER AND EVER AMEN.” So, they’re counting on the accursed business cycle (which lefties want to obliterate) to save their messiah’s bacon.

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM

capejasmine on June 9, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Annietxgrl on June 9, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I’m with jasmine. I believe he’s killing the economy on purpose.

I heard Rush say it doesn’t matter if it’s deliberate or not. I disagree. If people knew it was deliberate, there’d be a much quicker and more powerful uprising against it.

Daggett on June 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Sounds like Carville’s 40 year plan.
The class warfare is blatant. Does he expect the gov’t to create these 4 million jobs?

Or…let’s see…people are reducing their spending out of fear of losing their jobs, which drives down demand; and the Bush tax cuts expire in 2011.
Yeah, no problem, Barry, you should expect a huge wave of private sector jobs any min now…

/sarc
Hannity told Rush that it was inevitable that there would be a backlash. I think Hannity is a lightweight but I totally agree with that.

When that backlash comes, it’ll start a wave.

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I don’t want to see any more people out of work but we might as well go to 10%. It will wake people up before it’s too late.

Barry is not stupid; I think he may repeal the spendulus. Any bets on that?

PattyJ on June 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I saw on Greta last night that Obama is predicting adding 600,000 new jobs in the next 100 days.

What are they smoking at the WH these days??
It just drives me crazy that some of my friends just bought into Obama’s bs, and still defend all of this blantant non-sense.

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Barry is not stupid; I think he may repeal the spendulus. Any bets on that?

PattyJ on June 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Won’t happen. It would take more than that, though, to get the economy humming again; mainly across the board tax cuts. And you know that ain’t happening.

Obama cares about employment only insofar as his poll numbers are concerned. Obama’s main goal is redistribution.

ddrintn on June 9, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Barry is not stupid; I think he may repeal the spendulus. Any bets on that?

PattyJ on June 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I’ll take that bet.

No way will he repeal it. In fact, if the economy doesn’t collapse first, he’s going to spend a LOT more.

Daggett on June 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM

What are they smoking at the WH these days??

B Man on June 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Save or create 600,000 jobs.

In other words, if 1,000,000 more jobs are lost, he’ll say that it would have been 1,600,000 if it weren’t for his holiness.

He’s so full of bs… and you are what you eat.

Daggett on June 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM

And what would be the MSM’s reaction to Bush having claimed the War on Terror ‘saved 145,000 American lives’ compared with the hypothetical scenario if no War on Terror.
Equally unprovable, equally undeniable as Obama’s claim to having ‘saved or created x # of jobs’.
Think Bush would have gotten the same free pass Obama is getting from the press?

Derailleur on June 10, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Derailleur on June 10, 2009 at 12:30 AM

He’s not getting it now. When Cheney says that waterboarding prevented an attack and saved lives, some liberals claim that he’s lying and there’s no proof that there would have been an attack.

Felonious Monk on June 10, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Hey folks……there is a light to the end of the this tunnel…..only 1242 Boooosh blamin’ days until the next election…hope we make it.

yoda on June 10, 2009 at 1:02 AM

“The Obama administration predicted that the massive deficit spending Barack Obama pushed Which was OBVIOSLY SOMEONE ELSES’ FAULT ( insert evil republican names here) in the stimulus would save the country from runaway unemployment, the wonderful miricle created by our lord and savior Obama which they defined as 8.8% or higher unemployment. With unemployment racing higher at historic lows for a democrat than the foolish doomsday predictions after spending showing incredible empathy and fairness with $800 billion on liberal pet projects ABSOLTE necessities, even the Left has realized that this presidency could be in serious trouble fabulous shape. John Nichols at The Nation warns that crossing the double-digit mark on unemployment will pin the problem not on Obama’s predecessor, but on Obama himself on anyone who disagrees with the benevolent ruler who knows all and could never do anything wrong

EVERYBODY knows if you want to be a “real” journalist you have to write well… Just trying to help

/sarc

babydoll4you on June 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM

Save or create fabricate 600,000 jobs.

Daggett on June 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM

FIFY

BPD on June 10, 2009 at 6:37 AM

The Party of No sounds pretty good.
After all the “smear the queer’ slams on GW for his spending across the political spectrum after 9/11, GW at least paid down his debt and had record breaking tax revenues due to his tax reductions and the last gasps of the housing market in 2006 to 2007.
What is there to say yes to if one is to be consistent, where is the outrage for BHO’s spending, other than the tea partys, and that is the closest one can get to outrage?

mdetlh on June 10, 2009 at 6:54 AM

MSNBC NEWSFLASH: Our Lord High Obama, has granted us, his wretched subjects, the wonderful level of 90.6 % employment!
All Hail Our God, Our Leader Obama!

Jeff from WI on June 10, 2009 at 7:08 AM

I think he may repeal the spendulus. Any bets on that?

I’m with Daggett. Not a chance. While pushing the stimulus he said:
“It’s not too late to change course, but only if we take dramatic action as soon as possible”

He created his own imaginary out. I think he’s more likely to say something like “We missed it by mere days because of my detractors’ actions. I warned you, and the proof is in the numbers. Now I need 800 billion additional dollars to avoid an even worse crisis.”

rogerb on June 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM

justincase on June 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

They are long dead, but I’m sure they are rolling in their graves.

He kept saying, “Why can’t I be homeschooled?”

justincase on June 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Don’t be afraid to make some waves. If you get no satisfation from the administration, go to the school board. They are often more conservative.

Also, perhaps the teacher is brainwashed herself. Slip a copy of Humberto Fontova’s book Exposing the Real Che Guevara on her desk.

In the long run your kid will learn to stand up for himself and to be proud of his own “diversity.”

Disturb the Universe on June 10, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I am applying the “new metrics” to my diet. I “saved” a couple pounds this mornings by skipping another doughnut. Pretty soon I won’t be as fat as I could have been without my leadership. Maybe then I should treat myself.

clorensen on June 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM

My question is this – Why is Wall St. staying so generally positive? Every indicator is that government is going to encroach more and more, people will have less and less money to invest, and the weak dollar is going to devastate hundreds of the countries largest businesses, but lately wall street seems to be looking for positives? Why is that? Is it the same as the way people are being so positive about the Emperor & his Administrations?

WashingtonsWake on June 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM

clorensen on June 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I created or saved my liver again today by staying off crystal meth.

Geochelone on June 10, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I saved or created $10,000 in health care by not smoking, having low cholesterol and maintaining my ideal weight.

kirkill on June 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM

clorensen on June 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM

ROFL

Jeff from WI on June 10, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Kirkill, i want in on your diet. Of course, ObamaCare will help me define 10 calories as 1 calorie – inflation and all, so it’s really moot, since I’ll be able to have 10x as many donuts for the same number of ObamaCalories.

WashingtonsWake on June 10, 2009 at 12:34 PM

The left is saving millions of brain cells by doing dope and not thinking too hard. The Left’s brain cells don’t die, they just atrophy from lack of use.

DKEN on June 10, 2009 at 12:36 PM

10% won’t stop his supporters from voting for him again. Half are unemployed Acorn types and the other half are liberal elites that think the misery needs to be shared. I hope none of them move to Texas to set up shop here.Maybe his plan is to turn us into a large Muslim country.

bigtexmex on June 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Unfortunately, I think you are 100% correct. I hope that I am wrong for my childrens’ sake. One thing that does give me a ray of hope is the fact that I am seeing less Obama bumper stickers here in SoCal but that won’t stop people like “Peggy the Moocher” voting for him again. Me personally, I am waging my own little tax revolt but then again, I am a founding member of Janet’s right wing extremist group…

Retired vet – check
NRA life member – check
Christian – check
White male – check
Productive tax paying citizen – check
Anti illegal immigration – check
Pro-life – check

Time to stop before Obambi’s brownshirts come knocking…

Shiloh65 on June 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM