Video: Obama Beach?

posted at 11:19 am on June 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

No wonder the French didn’t want the British to attend the ceremonies for the 65th anniversary of D-Day. Prime Minister Gordon Brown inadvertently renamed Omaha Beach in honor of his bestest new buddy on this side of the pond:

So I guess all is forgiven for those DVDs, eh, Mr. Brown?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Did Brown really say, “Although tyranny may suppress, it cannot endure?”

Then there’s hope Obama will resign?

Daggett on June 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Can’t help meself. :D
Maybe Brown mispronounced beach,not Obama

oldernwiser on June 6, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Did Brown really say, “Although tyranny may suppress, it cannot endure?”

Then there’s hope Obama will resign?

Daggett on June 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I listened to all the leaders except for Prince Charles. It really felt as if they were sending a message to Obama, about tyranny, and oppression. That was my take, anyway.

Sarkozy by far, gave thee most compelling speech. It had me in tears. As for Obama? He sat there, nose in the hair, foreginger on nose, and thumb on chin. As if to say….this is blah blah blah, til I speak. And he spoke as if waiting for applause after every sentence, or 2. It just wasn’t a thoughtful, or compelling speech, and I don’t think he had the luxury of his TOTUS!

Obama Beach. Geeze Brown. Could you beeeeeeee more obvious?

capejasmine on June 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I thought this tool was chased out of office. Isn’t he gone yet?

BTW, this is no slip of tongue. He’s a fanatic and I believe he helped engineer the financial collapse last year to help Obama get elected. He’s true believer.

promachus on June 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Injected into history … one way or another … hell or high water!

Now I don’t feel so bad when I accidentally let fly, “Obama Bin Laden.”

kregg on June 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM

It’s all about the “O”…

I knew he’d find some way to make it all about the “O”. I’m surprised Barry didn’t get up and muse about Neville Chamberlain and how his apology tour could’ve saved them from war.

Wyznowski on June 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Obama beach is Nairobi’s Atlantic City, not a place in France.

abobo on June 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Can’t help meself. :D
Maybe Brown mispronounced beach,not Obama

oldernwiser on June 6, 2009 at 11:22 AM

ROFL!!!!!

capejasmine on June 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Wow, I can’t believe he said that…

O.K., just slapped myself awake and realized this man’s a Liberal, and had just removed his head from Obama’s ass prior to taking the stage.

It all makes since now.

Keemo on June 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Obama beach. Good grief.

Dr. Manhattan on June 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Winston Churchill rolls in grave.
Again.

Disturb the Universe on June 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Look at all those disastrous leaders assembled.

My God, look what the world has done.

artist on June 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Will Obama return the favor and call itt “10 Browning Street“?

profitsbeard on June 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Yeah I caught that, funny. I was more annoyed over Obama’s pronunciation of Neh zees.

Dash on June 6, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Look at all those disastrous leaders assembled.

My God, look what the world has done.

artist on June 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Great analysis…

Keemo on June 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Anybody else notice when Obama said, “I will LIKELY not be the last President…”????

Marsh on June 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM

no wonder people are leaving his government left and right!

stormin1961 on June 6, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Obama to self, “I like it. I like it a lot!”

davo on June 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I’m surprised Ogabe didn’t pull a MacArthur by having a landing craft beach itself on Omaha so he could majestically wade ashore in the surf.

His uncle was a soldier, you know, so that means Ogabe is a battle-tested warrior too.

Bishop on June 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Obama beach, Osama beach. Ah, some beach.

LibTired (KO) on June 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Obama to self, “I like it. I like it a lot!”

davo on June 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

As the commercial goes…
What can Brown do for you?

Disturb the Universe on June 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Do not fret, PM Brown. None of the men and women of these 57 United States, governed by a constitution written over 20 centuries ago, in a land protected by our Secretary of Defense William Gates, fault you for that error.

Captain Scarlet on June 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Captain Scarlet on June 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM

New York scrambling to find a beach to rename “Obama Beach” before Air Force One returns carrying Pharoh Obamtutkamen.

portlandon on June 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Bishop on June 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

You mean he wouldn’t have walked on that water, to the shore? :o LOL

Yes, and his Uncle called Obama out on his lies. I like this uncle! ;)

capejasmine on June 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Read the transcript of The One’s speech. It read like a elementary school kids report for class. Boring, uninspiring and rather perfunctory.

What a sad, pathetic gathering of men who could never muster the courage or dedication to do what was done on that beach on that day. Everything those young men fought and died for is being stripped away by those idiot leaders gathered there.

Jvette on June 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM

portlandon on June 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM

ROFL!!!! I sure hope his mummified by then. Or at least some bandages wrapped around his mouth.

capejasmine on June 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Obama Beach is where you surrender first, then apologize that your white flags aren’t made of Sharia compliant cloth.

profitsbeard on June 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Great. First he sees himself in a cave in Egypt, now he is a beach. OY.

ctmom on June 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM

As Obama spoke I prayed to the dear Lord he would NOT reference himself or his family members. The Lord must have been busy, and did not get the message. The words Krauthammer used to describe the Cairo speech come to mind.

He also quoted Lyndon Johnson! Of all those he could have quoted or referenced, he quoted LYNDON JOHNSON!

The speech was lacking in tone. To me, it just seemed as if he was speeding through it and wanting it to be over. There was no emotion, or feeling coming from him when he spoke about the liberating of millions of people, an entire continent.

I will say, Michelle was very gracious, and did not flinch from shaking many a hand and taking pictures. She came across as very kind and patient with the elderly vet who wanted to shake her hand, or take a picture with her. She should be applauded for maintaing a smile, and her interactions with the audience.

The one fact which offends me the most was the absence of Queen Elizabeth. Never mind Obama’s “vapid” speech; the Queen of England not being present at THIS ceremony was outrageous. It is my understanding the French are responsible for this monumental error, and THEY of all people should be ashamed of their actions in this matter.

Ultimately what Artist said about this cabal gathering on those hallowed grounds pretty much sums up what I observed and heard.

My God, look what the world has done.

artist on June 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Great analysis…

Keemo on June 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I believe the people of the world need to re-evaluate their decision making skills! We elected the Neville Chamberlain candidate, and the rest of Europe has elected socialism endorsers. They pale in comparison to those leaders who knew how to truly lead, and who recognized evil when they saw it. Not to mention the necessity for democracy and freedom. Now we have leaders who will not send troops to aid with Afghanistan, will not allow their soldiers to fight, and who are afraid of dictators and despots. God help us!

freeus on June 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM

It just seems like Obama beeeahtch…

d1carter on June 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM

LMFAO
Oh’ Liberals are so smart.

RobCon on June 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Twit!

RobCon on June 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I think I saw the image of Obama in my waffle this morning.

Mojave Mark on June 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

A loud fart from PM Brown could not make that gaffe more cringe worthy.
Even Biden laughs at this guy.

RobCon on June 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Ah, some beach.

LibTired (KO) on June 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Michelle ?

gh on June 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I believe one of BHO’s uncles was there at D-Day…took out a German pillbox all by himself. Yeah, in fact he came in on the same landing craft that Tom Hanks was on.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM

That’s the part that out and out pisses me off. The Queen participated in the defense of her own country during the bloody war and they can’t be bothered to invite her, only as an afterthought? No wonder she told them to go f**K themselves. And I doubt the French even care.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Heh. Silly goose. He was busy liberating Auschwitz during D-Day. All by his lonesome….

mjk on June 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Will Obama return the favor and call itt “10 Browning Street“?

profitsbeard on June 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

whitetop on June 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Good-bye Prime Minister Brown.

Earlg on June 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Ouch. That’s almost as embarrassing as calling your teacher “mom.”

Sharke on June 6, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I swear, if it were possible for something like this to happen, I would like to see the ghost of Winston Churchill rise from his grave, head on over to #10 Downing Street, and throw Prime Minister Gordon Brown out the front door on his ear!

Brown has proven again and again and again to have nary a shred of decency occupying his carcass. And to make a comment like this, Freudian slip or not, is an insult to the memory of the brave men who gave their lives on that beach years ago!

Brown is beyond being a disgrace! Britain should cast him out from its very shores!

pilamaye on June 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM

So I guess all is forgiven for those DVDs, eh, Mr. Brown?

No doubt Brown would have preferred a more lavish gift, but the bottom line for these two is that they are blood brothers in their love of socialism.

Brown is about to fall, and although I would not want the same system here I do like the idea of calling the government to be failed and forcing a new election.

NuLabor has been a dismal failure in the UK, and the modern “Democrat” party closely resembles the policies of Blair and Brown. There is nothing new that was offered despite their promises. They are simply retreads of old, communist-based policies in smarter dress.

Pelosi, Reid, Barry and their big money supporters are only interested in replicating failed policies. They know they are failures, yet they pursue implementing them here in the US.

Cody1991 on June 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Wonder if Sarkozy will ask Michelle during the tour, “So, is this your first trip to Pointe du Ho?”

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Mr. Brown Nose, you are despicable. Your own country has had enough of you. Obama can’t save your sorry excuse of an ass.

SHAME!

maverick muse on June 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Maybe Obama bin Laden is to blame?

He wrote it himself without Bill Ayers’ help.

10 Browning Street

+10

andycanuck on June 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM

The Brits are about to flush this butt-kisser down the toilet. He has bankrupt their economy and thinks sucking up, like the whiney coward he is, may get him a position with the guys who own Obama.

volsense on June 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Churchill gave up spinning in his grave the day Tony Blair became PM, and said screw this, I’m done with you England.

angryed on June 6, 2009 at 1:12 PM

The bigger gaffe was Obama saying that the bodies of the American soldiers who were killed at Normandy would rest in their graves for eternity.

Basilsbest on June 6, 2009 at 1:13 PM

volsense on June 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Yeah, Brown is hardline socialist, and Blair is no better despite the favorable impression most Yanks had of him. At first blush I thought of BO as our “Blair”, but on further consideration I find Barry to be truly hard core. He flounces around with his rhetorical flourishes, but deep down inside I suspect he’s one of, or fancies himself, as one of the red brigade.

If anyone has time to spare, it’s fun to travel on over to The Guardian and read the comments in CIF. It’s a real schaedenfruede extravaganza for conservatives. :))

Cody1991 on June 6, 2009 at 1:15 PM

OMG!!! what a moron

centryt on June 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM

What the fruck entitles all of them to stand there, in such noble shoes, on such sacred soil, especially the cipher in chief?

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Even the French were right to roll their eyes on that one.

Barrack on June 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I apologise for the existence of this man. But don’t worry, his party will be eviscerated at the next election. There is a good chance they will cease to exist. Socialism will be dead in the UK, and this fool’s incompetence will be responsible.

thedarknight on June 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

angryed on June 6, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I disagree mon cher:

thedarknight on June 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM

He didn’t even mention Obamashima and Obamasaki!!

Speedwagon82 on June 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM

What an idiot.

Terrye on June 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

volsense on June 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Are we as bankrupt yet as UK is now? As his golden parachute, Brown could be Obama’s Sec. of Treasury… or do we have one of those already. Then maybe his Economy Czar.

Australia is looking better every day. If we get health care rationing, I may just have to give it a try.

petefrt on June 6, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Brown’s political future died this week. I’m sure his mind is on his problems at home.

angryed on June 6, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I am sure the nation mourns its loss.

lexhamfox on June 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

In faint defense of PM Brown, he was probably still rattled over this:

You’re more right than you know, thedarknight…

CPT. Charles on June 6, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Prime Minister Brown……….

………. Dude, just come out of the closet already.

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Did anyone wince when Obama brought up the Revolutionary War? I did. At this point in history we were Great Britain’s ally, and not fighting them! We had proved our right to exist, and it was Britain’s right to exist which was at stake. I thought this was poor taste to bring up our earlier relations with England when the main focus of D-Day is and was about our two countries uniting like never before to defeat what Obama defined the other day in Cairo as “colonialism”.

Maybe Mr. Brown was only reflecting what Biden was saying when he introduced Obama as “BarackAmerica”. One for the history books! That Joe, he is a laugh a minute! At least Brown demoted Obama to a beach and not a country!

freeus on June 6, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Prime Minister Brown……….

………. Dude, just come out of the closet already.

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM

And someone hand Brown a towel, or a wetnap or something. That’s just disgusting.

progressoverpeace on June 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM

There’s part of the reason his own country thinks he’s a turd.

bluelightbrigade on June 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Hey at least Obama put himself through an election…I heard Brown was booed by the war veterans when his arrival time was announced…LOL. The Queen, whom he severely PO’d by not inviting her to the D-Day commemorations, is the only person who can step in and tell this awful man to GO NOW. I think there’s a petition circulating somewhere.
The Euro results are due tomorrow night and can only be bad news for Labour, but his own MPs have already screwed up by baring the daggers but being unable to strike…this mess is as close to a coup as Britain’s had in 300 years.

Fortunata on June 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Oi, when are the British elections? I thought they’d had them already…why’s this guy still here?

Emily M. on June 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM

“Will Obama return the favor and call itt “10 Browning Street“? profitsbeard on June 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM

No, that would be racist!

KS Rex on June 6, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Emily M. on June 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM

No, only the for the European parliament and about one-third of the local county elections. The voters have used them as a referendum on New Labour: Labour doesn’t now control a single non-urban county in England (not Scotland). That’s the equivalent (storm in a teacup, I know, but still) of all the mainland states of the USA going Republican red at the state election level, bar a couple to the Liberal democrats.

Fortunata on June 6, 2009 at 3:40 PM

When, and how, is this madness going to end? It is depressing. I need a shrink.

albertpale on June 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM

progressoverpeace on June 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Picture PM Brown, Chrissy Mathews, Brian Williams, and that tool from Newsweek all lined up with different colors of lipstick on ready to give Obama a ‘rainbow party’…….

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM

It least we know where Gordon Brown’s mind is and mouth wants to be.

J in STL on June 6, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Fortunata on June 6, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Ah, I see. So when will they elect their new PM?

Emily M. on June 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

All those man-crush leg-thrills of yours, dude, you got it bad. You’re verbally drooling. Your rhetorical wet loins are showing. And now, your mouth can’t stop doing the herky-jerky in public. Dude, it’s over.

Say g’night, Gordie.

orville on June 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Being there gives the cipher in chief creds for nothing. Such nothingness should never have a stage, not in the least such a sacred one. Shame on our world!

The real travesty is that of all in the ‘leadership’ picture only Charles has any kind of Military training.

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Totally agree. My Grandfather died there. I wish I could slap this POS.

albertpale on June 6, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Ouch. That’s almost as embarrassing as calling your teacher “mom.”

I did that once in High School during Spanish class. Of course, the woman WAS my mother. I wasn’t in her class because I wanted to be; the school’s only Latin teacher transferred, and I had to take SOME language class (English didn’t count though it should have for me.) At the time I was under strict orders from mom to use the more formal “Mrs A” honorific, but it just… slipped out!

Embarrassing? Hell yeah in so many ways…

karl9000 on June 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM

NOT EVEN FUNNY

WTF!

Ya know,in the anniversity of World War Two,a few years back,it was Bill Clinton who attended,with zero connection
to WW2!

And if President Bush Sr. had been elected for a second term,and as an American who actually served in WW2,as a
torpedo bomber,in would of been much more fitting!

But instead,Bill Clinton did the honours,and what did the MSM do,they followed Bill Clinton on the beach,and as Bill
Clinton stopped,he arranged some little stones in the form
of a cross,and they catch a tear running down Bill’s cheeck,
in the form of a photo-op!!

So,now its OBAMA Beach,a Liberal Activist Anti-War,Ant-Israel,Anti-American,Anti-Western President who has the
honours!!

The day belongs to the relatives,and those that paid the
ultimate price in blood,and sacrifice,for FREEDOM,and not
the FAWNING of Hopey/Changey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on June 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM

canopfor on June 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM

+7%…….

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Emily M. on June 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Brown has to call an election by the beginning of June 2010. But I don’t think the country can wait that long. If he resigns first, the name being thrown about is Alan Johnson–but constitutionally, it’s dodgy to have two appointed but unelected PMs in a row. He’d pretty much have to call an election in the fall–that’s the only chance that Labour have of avoiding complete obliteration at the polls under Brown, and even under Johnson they would lose. He’s already playing fast and loose by having so many unelected ministers in his “new” cabinet.

Fortunata on June 6, 2009 at 5:08 PM

… and who recognized evil when they saw it.
freeus on June 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Good point.

Ah, I see. So when will they elect their new PM?
Emily M. on June 6, 2009 at 3:53 PM

The next UK parliamentary elections must be held on or before 3rd June 2010.

Bearing in mind the shambolic state of the present government, this week’s local election results, and the likely results for the UK parties in the European elections (voting finished, results due shortly) it is possible that Mr Brown will be under pressure to call an election earlier.

However, my feeling is that he would rather hang on, (a) because of pride and (b) in the hope of there being some good news between now and then because a national election now would see the ruling labour party lose parliamentary seats the way an upturned bucket loses water.

YiZhangZhe on June 6, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Is this what Biden meant by “bending history”?

And does anyone doubt Obama thinks of himself more highly than those who took Omaha Beach 65 years ago?

cackcon on June 6, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Seven Percent Solution on June 6,2009 at 5:03PM.

canopfor on June 6, 2009 at 5:12 PM

just a slip – he was just trying to keep his muslims separated. he didn’t want to call obama OSAMA.

poppieseeds on June 6, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Bishop on June 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Mon ami, his landing craft was delayed

wccawa on June 6, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Obama Beach? GAG ME WITH A BAYONET.

RandyChandler on June 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I think you are referring to Patton.

keep the change on June 6, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Because human nature stays the same, history is forced to repeat itself.

keep the change on June 6, 2009 at 6:01 PM

It’s a good thing my Dad (WWII vet) has passed. Watching these two idiots would have killed him

MCPO Airdale on June 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Video: Obama Beach?

(((((Sigh)))))
Brown and Obama…What else can we expect from two socialist idiots!!!

byteshredder on June 6, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Obama to self, “I like it. I like it a lot!”

davo on June 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM

As the commercial goes…
What can Brown do for you?

Disturb the Universe on June 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM

+100

NoFanofLibs on June 6, 2009 at 6:29 PM

“Words from Normandy…”

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen……..

………. I give you,

President George W. Bush……..

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2009 at 7:39 PM

President George W. Bush……. part II

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM

And Obama thought to himself, “That’s my good little b!tch”

ToddonCapeCod on June 6, 2009 at 9:19 PM

its not enough that bambi asks “have you hugged a Muslim today?”. now we have gordon brown throwing out Allied brilliance, bravery & salvation in one fell swoop.

where have all the patriots gone?

kelley in virginia on June 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Well, while Brown isn’t my favorite Brit (toss up between Maggie Thatcher, Judi Dench, and Geoffrey Plumber on that), and Obama is my least favorite President (tied with Carter), this is one of those common slips that can happen when you read a speech. Notice how The One’s name comes very soon after that slip? I suspect that the two words were on different lines on the page, and Brown’s eye caught the “Obama” and said it out loud.

Must say, as a preacher, I’ve done that myself a time or two.

Gotta admit, though – the irony of this one is pretty good…

psrch on June 6, 2009 at 9:30 PM

It’s a good thing he didn’t say “Osama Beach”.

threeCents on June 6, 2009 at 9:56 PM