The day the West freed itself from tyranny

posted at 10:13 am on June 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Sixty-five years ago today, the US, Britain, Canada, as well as Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Poland and others, sent their best young men to storm the beaches of Normandy and liberate an entire continent from the iron grip of a madman and a cult of death that surrounded him. Over 150,000 of them charged off of the troop carriers; at least 2500 never made it off the beaches, or in some cases, not even onto the beaches. No one actually knows the exact number lost on D-Day, and many of the dead were never found. The official casualty figure, including wounded and missing, exceeds 10,000.

To these heroic men, those who died and those who lived to keep fighting, we owe great thanks for preserving Western civilization when it appeared close to collapse. Without their courage, tyranny would have prevailed, massive genocides would have been commonplace, and the world would have gone to utter ruin.

Usually we celebrate the great leaders when we reflect on World War II, but the anniversary of D-Day is a day to reflect on the heroes who clawed their way onto and off of the beaches in the face of withering fire, overwhelmed a truly evil regime, and set the stage for its destruction.

Update: Ronald Reagan’s 40th anniversary speech at Normandy remains moving:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Never EVER forget

And screw tetris.

blatantblue on June 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Choices…

Skywise on June 6, 2009 at 10:18 AM

As far as England was concerned, it was out of the frying pan and into the fire.

OldEnglish on June 6, 2009 at 10:19 AM

No, the Soviet Union “set the stage for the destruction” of the “truly evil regime”, as any dispassionate analysis shows. That anybody would claim that you could “set the stage” for anything in 1944 just shows that history is less a science and more a “patriotic” propaganda.

However, there’s no doubt that the troops who stormed Normandy beaches were heroic, and they did their part.

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Never forget. I’d like to type more to express my gratitude, but I’m having trouble seeing the keyboard.

backwoods conservative on June 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM

It just kills me to think that we saved Europe from fascism only to hand over half to communism and the other half to socialism. Not even the present rise of a technocratic new EUSSR can stain that sacred sacrifice.

abobo on June 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM

It just kills me to think that we saved Europe from fascism

Don’t think that if it kills you. Especially since it’s factually false.

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Has it been 65 years? My goodness. The process which started in Normandy and ended in the Concentration Camps ultimately helped to improve the human condition around the world. That movement is still going on because we the people believe in it. Thank God for our troops, and their leaders, for helping to make the world a better place. May we measure up.

KillerKane on June 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I sent Google an email to castigate them for their choice of masthead. I hope they read it and a small tinge of shame runs through their cowardly blobs of flesh.

djl130 on June 6, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Don’t think that if it kills you. Especially since it’s factually false.

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM

No that would be factually true. Your passionate misunderstanding of history notwithstanding.

Skywise on June 6, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Fox is covering the commemoration. The background music is the music played during the funeral of James Earl Jones’s character in Clear and Present Danger. Great song.

BuckeyeSam on June 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Especially since it’s factually false.

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM

How so? And yes, if you want to get technical in a smart ass way about it, I am aware of the fact that Spain and Portugal remained fascist for decades after the war.

abobo on June 6, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Or note that the Soviets sold out Eastern Europe to fascism in the first place with the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Sorry, they were Hitler’s enablers; there was nothing noble about the Soviet reconquest of eastern Europe after Hitler shivved Stalin in 1941.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Funny, but I recall pretty massive U.S. losses ferrying U.S. materials across the Atlantic to the Soviet Union so they could continue to fight the war. You forgot to mention that.

a capella on June 6, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Remember that day always! Our country gave a lot to acquire a small plot of land in Normandy.

GarandFan on June 6, 2009 at 10:33 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM

You’re a true leftist, Soviet never gave freedom to anyone , until they gave up themselves.

the_nile on June 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I don’t forget the Land Lease. I love the implication that can only be made by a true idiot that the Americans were dying supplying materials while the Russians… what?… were peacefully fighting the Germans in the safety of their trenches?

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Especially since it’s factually false.

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Is your ass starting to hurt yet? If not, you must have a nice layer of padding down there…

Keemo on June 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

D-Day, even Homer himself could have never dreamed of an invasion like this one. I can imagine the heroes Achilles and Agamemnon saluting our fathers, uncles, grandfathers as they stormed ashore that fateful day…

May God Bless and keep all those who serve.

Zorro on June 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM

With Russia we made a deal with the devil, for their “help”.At the time it was necessary, but the World has paid for it ever since.

sandee on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

My father landed there 65 years ago. He was a Master Sergeant in a Army Engineering Unit. They went on to help clear out the Concentration camps. I did not know this until he passed away in 1997. I saw his medal. Let no one denigrate these great men and their accomplishment on this day 65 years ago.

kingsjester on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM

The Soviet Union paid an enormous price, comparatively speaking. But it also entered a bargain with the Devil.

With regard to troops on D-Day “[doing] their part,” that’s a hell of an understatement. Americans paying with their lives for the mistakes of lousy Eurpoean leaders for the two decades leading up to the invasion of Poland.

BuckeyeSam on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

the_nile on June 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Are you retarded? I’m asking in all seriousness. Do you need bigger fonts perhaps? I mean, what’s your exact medical problem that prevents you from reading simple 3-4 line paragraphs?

Where did I write anything about “giving freedom to anyone”. I said, the Soviets destroyed Hitler. Pretty much singlehandedly. This is all I am saying. Do you understand this? Or do you need help?

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

a capella on June 6, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Convoy PQ 17.

OldEnglish on June 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Seriously Ed, zap this sh**-nugget! His Obama shilling, republican hating is one thing, but coming around here and taking a crap on a day like this SHOULD be a bannable offense. Call me fascist if you will radiofreevillage.

abobo on June 6, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Internet rule: there will always be a cynic that has to downplay the importance of the British, Americans, Canadians and Australians in the Second World War. His college professor told him things that you don’t know, and he’s happy to tell you them.

Ted Torgerson on June 6, 2009 at 10:41 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Taking a tribute and making it hateful… Good job.

Keemo on June 6, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I’m so glad they died to preserve our freedoms…

…only so this generation could vote in a tyrannical leader to subjugate us all.

Daggett on June 6, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I want to make sure it’s understood I have no intention to somehow belittle their sacrifice. As if it was somehow less heroic to die in Normandy than in Stalingrad.

But in so much as you can talk at all about the contribution of a country to the victory in Europe, 75-80 percent of it was done by the Soviet Union. Literally. You can simply count the number of German troops on the East and West fronts.

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:43 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

You’ve been refuted here:

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM

This is a thread for heroes. Please troll elsewhere, if only for a day and if only for this thread.

BuckeyeSam on June 6, 2009 at 10:43 AM

abobo on June 6, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Ditto.

BuckeyeSam on June 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

They got to enter Berlin first because of a deal struck between Stalin and Roosevelt at the Yalta Conference in February, 1945. Churchill tried hard to prevent it, but was overruled by Roosevelt.

The Soviets were let in.

OldEnglish on June 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM

do you need help?

radiomoscow on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

No, but you do.

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM

kingjester
That’s incredible

blatantblue on June 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Now to turn this back to what it was intended to be.

Many men, of many nations died. May God keep, and bless their souls, and never let us here, in the United States forget, what they fought, and died for. Freedom!

capejasmine on June 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM

God bless all the men and women in all the wars that in the moment of decision stood between the forces of tyranny and all they held dear. We live by their courage and sacrifice and will NEVER forget them.

itsspideyman on June 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Internet rule: “Conservative” morons can’t read. I’m not downplaying the importance of “the British, Americans, Canadians and Australians in the Second World War”. I’m talking about defeating Hitler. This was done by the Soviets. There were other theaters where the Soviets played little roe if any at all: Pacific, Africa, South Europe etc.

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Ahem:

One in twenty-six US mariners (merchant seamen) on Lend-Lease ships and runs died in the line of duty … This represents a greater proportion of war-related deaths than for any other single branch of the US armed forces …

Including the only Morrissey from our branch who died in service to his country, my father’s Uncle Eddie.

You, sir, are an idiot.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Drudge has this story running: Gordon Brown calls it “Obama Beach”.

eforhan on June 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Wow that is so ignorant. We supplied the Russians hundreds of thousands of peices of equipment through Murmansk and Archangel, from locomotive engines to Jeeps and even some Sherman tanks. We supplied about 20% of their war production.

Singlehandedly. Heh.

Ted Torgerson on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Hear, hear.

The Soviet Union would have been quite content to allow Hitler all of Western Europe.

The only reason they attacked the Germans was because of Hitler’s betrayal.

Otherwise, they wouldn’t have cared what he did to the French or Poles or Brits.

SteveMG on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Now the question is when can we free ourselves of our new tyranny of Obama?

xler8bmw on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

“We will always remember…” Unless of course you are the decision making executives at Google. Shame.

heddly_lamar on June 6, 2009 at 10:52 AM

eforhan on June 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Goodness gracious, did he really say that… Wow!

Keemo on June 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Thank you!

*claps hands*

backwoods conservative on June 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM

blatantblue on June 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Thanks, kiddo. My Daddy (as we call our parental units in Dixie)had a facinating life story. He had to drop out in 6th grade during the Depression to help support his family. His wife sent him a Dear John letter while he was in Europe. When he came home he remarried. He was married to my Mom for 49 years. He served God through leadership in our church and he and my Mother were married 49 years. I owe my love of God and America to my Daddy. He was 40 when I was born. So, I was raised the old fashioned way. I pity people like Obama, radiofreevillage, and the rest of the Liberals who denigrate this country and do not understand the concept of American Exceptionalism.

kingsjester on June 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM

posted the prayer that FDR gave for the troops on that historic day, plus the invasion of the beach from “Saving Private Ryan”.

stormin1961 on June 6, 2009 at 10:55 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

You’re the retarded one , you say that “the Soviet Union “set the stage for the destruction” of the “truly evil regime”” , that’s wrong , they just recreated the evil regime in their own name , just like leftists like you want to do everywhere.
Your self hate and admire for communism betrays you.

the_nile on June 6, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

(applause)

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Thank you Ed.

Multi-tasking once again, you are! :)

Keemo on June 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Do you have a feedbag for the balls of shit that roll out of your mouth or do you leave a trail for your fellow leftist traitors to follow?

csdeven on June 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.
Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Thank you, Ed. I hope your wife and the rest of your family are doing well. May God Bless the families of all those men who served and fought so valiantly in World War II.

kingsjester on June 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I never thought I’d live to see the day where a leftist would essentially call our involvement in WWII as useless.

eforhan on June 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I wonder if Obama will apologize for D-Day.\\sarc\\

In all seriousness, my grandfather was in D-Day. He is still alive. He was telling my kids(great-grandchildren) that when he looked out his plane window it looked like you could walk across the water, there were so many boats in the water, it almost looked like dry land. I’m glad he is still around so my kids can hear those kinds of stories.

vcferlita on June 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM

kingsjester on June 6, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I knew I liked you for a reason. Thanks for sharing your dad’s story. It’s nice to talk with people who passionately love this country like I do.

ladyingray on June 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Our visitor (former) radiofreevillage is, I believe, a Russian expatriate who doesn’t like much criticism of Russia.

Really a good example of the type of Russian ultra-nationalism that Putin appeals to.

Anyway, back to our online commemoration.

SteveMG on June 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM

My father was on a lend-lease ship that made the Murmansk run. They were protected by only three distroyers. Forty ships left England. Eleven made it.

The Merchant Marines suffered greater casualties than any branch of the war. One in twenty-six died (mentioned earlier). The losses were so horrendous Roosevelt refused to allow the casualties to be released during the first four years. They were so desperate for men they took them from ages 16 to 78.

itsspideyman on June 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM

God Bless you, my dear father, who returned, raised a family in freedom and spoke of the idea that life is precious.

Rest in Peace

GunRunner on June 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM

itsspideyman on June 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Was your father on convoy PQ 17, by any chance?

OldEnglish on June 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM

eforhan on June 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Taht’s probably what it was “taught” in the public school system.

Let’s not forget another side effect of D-Day…it began to trigger doubts among the realists in the German military, and some of them started to try and remove Hitler from power. They were unsuccessful at first, but by the time the end came they had abandoned him in droves.

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

God bless you, Ed.

capitalist piglet on June 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM

It seems they have renamed Omaha Beach OBAMA BEACH.

Disgrace where it is deserved. They should have had the Queen speak.

portlandon on June 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM

ladyingray on June 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Thank you. I’ve sung in church choirs for 30 years and played the lead in the church Christmas play and Easter play.. I also raised a former step-son who is ordained and plays drums in a Christian band. My father definitely left a legacy.

kingsjester on June 6, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Standing ovation here!

Disturb the Universe on June 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Obviously you are someone who has never served, or haven’t spent much time with anyone who has. There is war, and then there is hell on earth. Fighting in the triple canopy jungles of Okinowa and in the surrounding waters for our Navy was hell on earth. The battle of Belleau Wood in WWI was hell on earth. Storming the beaches of France 65 years ago was hell on earth.

Did the D-Day invasion win the war? No. But the sheer number of dead, wounded, and missing show without any doubt of what hell on earth is really like. Did the Soviets cross an ocean and assualt a fortified beach to push back a well armed and trained enemy? Did the Soviets push Germany out of Africa? Did the Soviets fight Germany on the high seas? Did the Soviets fight WWII on two fronts? No, Soviets were fighting to keep their own land. While certainly part of defeating the Nazi’s, the Soviets had years to win the war by conquering Germany and Berlin before the American’s became involved.

But that didn’t happen. As late as January 1943, Soviets were pushed back as far as Stalingrad, another hell on earth with estimated casualties of 2 million, a battle the Soviets finally won. A turning point in the war that allowed the Soviets to finally go on the offensive.

Your comment about those who landed of the beaches of France, as you say “did their part”, illustrates how little you know of the subject matter. Rosy the Riviter did her part. These men fought and died with alarming numbers taking a beach and establishing a foothold in enemy territory.

America’s greatest generation. Selfless, courageous, and iron willed.

Hog Wild on June 6, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Does anyone else have their flag out today? I think I am he only one on my street.

Fly them high today folks. Remind people that they have forgot something important.

portlandon on June 6, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Good show old bean! And all respect to your dear grand uncle Eddie.
PS: sorry about my foul language earlier.

abobo on June 6, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Drudge has this story running: Gordon Brown calls it “Obama Beach”.

eforhan on June 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Wow!!! Seems as if Brown has his head up Obama’s hiney as well. Good Lord, let’s just change it from D Day to Obama Day, and all will sing, and be happy! *sigh*

capejasmine on June 6, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Drudge has this story running: Gordon Brown calls it “Obama Beach”.

eforhan on June 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Obama’s a beach. And then we die.

Daggett on June 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Thanks Ed.

csdeven on June 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Ed is my hero!

PrincipledPilgrim on June 6, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I doubt CNN gave this much coverage to D-Day ceremonies featuring Republican Presidents. I’m sure our friends at Newsbusters will be able to help confirm that.

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Let us never give up the fight that our fathers and brothers have fought to preserve for us. Let us stand and conquer this tyranny that faces our Nation from all who will take what our Fathers gave to us.

May Our Lord Bless our Shining city on hill that reflects the beacon of love, honor and selflessness.

Semper Fidelis

hawkman on June 6, 2009 at 11:17 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

No. The Soviets would’ve been singlehnadedly crushed BY Hitler if the US hadn’t intervened and kept Hitler’s forces divided between the USSR and Europe.

The US destroyed Hitler’s war factories drastically cutting back his tank divisions and armories from being able to resupply the Russian lines.

Then, on D-DAY, US Troops established a foothold on the European mainland and began to retake Europe.

Russia did NOT liberate Europe. The US did.

Russia did NOT destroy Hitler. All of the allied powers did that.

Sure Russia Lost more men than the US. Hitler invaded and came within days of completely taking over Russia.

But the US could’ve stayed out of it and suffered no casualties.

As our current Commander in Chief is fond of saying… War is all about choices

And that’s what sacrificce is all about Charlie Brown.

Skywise on June 6, 2009 at 11:17 AM

We will never forget. And we will tell these stories to our children and teach them to remember as well.

TexasDan on June 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM

To see how far we’ve fallen…

Where is our next Ronald Regan? Please save us before the Neville Chamberlain of our time, Barry Obama, burries us.

Wyznowski on June 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM

When men and women knew the value and the price of freedom.

And did not apologize for their love of liberty.

All honor to the brave who sacrificed on D-Day… and who still do to this day… to preserve our inherent rights and defend our endangered future.

profitsbeard on June 6, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Thank you, members of the Greatest Generation for your selfless sacrifice, devotion to duty, and sheer determination. You stand as a beacon of light in our history for future generations to try to emulate…

Never Forget, Never fade, Remember the Meaning.

alohapundit on June 6, 2009 at 11:23 AM

BOYCOTT GOOGLE

420sniper on June 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Was your father on convoy PQ 17, by any chance?

OldEnglish on June 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM

OldEnglish, I sincerely wish I knew. He spent two years in the European theatre but started in the Pacific. I have his records and I’ll try to find out.

If it means anything, he regards the English as the bravest people on earth. He traveled through bombed out areas and saw how they rebuilt their lives while every night suffering the V1 and V2s. He was treated with respect everywhere he went. Heady stuff for a kid 17 years old.

itsspideyman on June 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Oh, yes … and also a troll. Buh-bye.

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Thank you for finally banning that ignorant fool.

And a heartfelt thanks to all who served in our armed forces on June 6, 1944, and all who have continued to serve in the years since. We owe you a debt we can never repay.

AZCoyote on June 6, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Hitler did to Stalin what Stalin was planning to do to Hitler. Two evil leaders with millions of evil followers.

Blake on June 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Drudge has this story running: Gordon Brown calls it “Obama Beach”.

Anybody notice that Obama said, “I will LIKELY not be the last President…” ?????

Marsh on June 6, 2009 at 11:35 AM

God bless all the soldiers, seamen, airmen, marines and coastguard men for protecting our freedom.
With that great generation slowly going their way we are now sadly stuck with a generations who thinks that getting only two bars on their cell phone is sacrifice. Our country slowly turns to socialism and my 92 year old grandmother can’t understand what’s happening.
When do we stand up and fight for that freedom?

dpierson on June 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

A great day. Wish I could’ve been there.

Gaunilon on June 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

WTF is wrong with this current president? Can he not help himself without talking about his grandmother and uncle. D-Day is NOT about him it is about our brave military then and now! There was not one ounce of emotion in his speech but, oh wait I forgot it’s “just words”

xler8bmw on June 6, 2009 at 11:36 AM

In partial defense (just a small piece) of radiofreevillage, the Russian/Soviet people did sacrifice enormously during the war. And without those sacrifices, it would have been extremely difficult to defeat Hitler. Certainly, much more costly.

But that is distinguishing between the Soviet government and their people. The former deserve no credit for the victory; the latter – the average Russian man and woman – a great deal.

SteveMG on June 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Skywise on June 6, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Do mostly to Russian incompetence and placing little value on their own people and soldiers lives. Hell, I just finished watching the Laurence Rees documentary. A russian said they were sent to fight with no weapons. one guy would charge and their would be seven behind him. When he was shot, guy #2 was supposed to pick up his weapon. When #2 was shot, guy #3 picked up the weapon, and so on and so forth.

And when the war was over, all the heroes were shot or sent to the gulags.

Blake on June 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Remember: Japan is the one who attacked us. Germany was a “war of choice,” at least in the minds of people like Obama.

Kafir on June 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Marsh on June 6, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I did notice, and it bothers me. Everything about him, bothers me. He made it about himself, and that angers me.

capejasmine on June 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Do = Due

Blake on June 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

What’s ironic is that Hitler thought he was saving Western civilization from decadence & decay by “any means necessary.” The fight for his idea of perfection was just as or even more important than any other Cause on earth.

artlover on June 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Kafir on June 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Germany and Italy declared war on us, not vice versa.

Blake on June 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM

radiofreevillage on June 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. Before the jump into Russia in Operation Barbarossa the Yugoslav’s fought the Italians out of Yugoslavia. Hitler was so enraged he sent 10 divisions to destroy them. This rash move sent 400,000 men in the wrong direction and delayed the lauch by six weeks. Because of this, the German advance to Moscow stopped right on the suburbs, 26 miles away, as the winter moved in.

Furthermore Shirer muses about the possibilites of attacking only Moscow or Lenningrad, or simply feinting in that direction and instead going after the Carpathian oilfields. This would have given them the fuel they desperately needed in 1944 when their reserves started to falter. Hitler did a lot to lose the war, not as much as the Allies to win it, but he made several blunders that crippled Germany.

The Russians were heroic in their defense and stood the full assault of the Germans. However without the Allies attacking through North Africa and the British and Americans bombing their factories, World War II could have been very different. The Germans may not have won, but they could have sued for peace. While the Allies held for unconditional surrender, one of the occupied countries might have broke and started a chain reaction.

itsspideyman on June 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM

And when the war was over, all the heroes were shot or sent to the gulags.

Blake on June 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM

No argument from me there. But without those men keeping Hitler busy he could’ve redirected his troops into an invasion of Britain or greatly fortified the lines at Normandy.

Skywise on June 6, 2009 at 11:43 AM