Tom Brokaw to Obama: What can Israel learn from Buchenwald about its treatment of Palestinians?

posted at 2:45 pm on June 5, 2009 by Allahpundit

I thought, or rather hoped, that Powerline was kidding. Nope. You’ll find the exchange here, around 4:05. (Obama thankfully rejects the analogy.) For added disgust, note that this interview was conducted in Dresden, ground zero of the neo-Nazi revisionist movement to draw moral equivalence between Nazi atrocities and Allied bombings of German cities. You’ll fit right in at MSNBC, Tom.

I’ve reached my saturation point with videos of The One so I’m skipping the clip of him at Buchenwald. You’ll be glad to know that he vowed to resist the spread of evil in our time, which will make for a grimly ironic flashback soundbite the day Iran announces they’ve got the bomb. Instead, here’s three minutes of reflection from a guy who really has confronted evil, literally and recently. His oratory is the flip side of Obama’s, short on style and very, very long on substance. Tremendously moving. Don’t miss it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Hey Tom Brokaw!!
Have you learned anything from Hitler??
Have your learned anything from Mao??
From Pol Pot??
Were you watching or listening at all when Saddam gave payments to suicide bombers who killed Israelis???
Were you listening to the cries and screams of innocent people as rockets were landing on the streets if Israel in the middle of peace negotiations??
Have you watched or learned anything at all Tom,, from all the suffering and poverty caused by liberals for the past 50 years??
Were you watching at all Tom when the Towers were first bombed back in 1993? When our embassy was bombed in 1996. When the US Cole was attacked in 2000??
Hey Tom! Your guy was President then, Tom! Did you learn anything from that Tom???
Tom?? Did you learned anything at all from the fact our Towers were again attacked on 9/11??? Were you watching Tom as 3000 Americans were exterminated by Islamic Fascists??!!
Have you learned anything at all Tom???? No,,, I guess not!

JellyToast on June 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Well, in his apology speech yesterday, Obama mentioned the holocaust and the Palestinian “suffering” in the same sentence sounding like he was comparing the two. I think Browkow was set up to ask this so Obama could make a big deal how that is wrong.That’s my take anyway

sandee on June 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM

You know, that’s very insightful, and you might just be right. But what it shows is what happens when you have a state-run media–you have “journalists” doing the bidding of those in power. This thing about Brokaw makes me weep. He should be kicked–all the way home to South Dakota, or wherever it is he hails from. “The Greatest Generation,” indeed. Shame on you–shame.

labwriter on June 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

My oh my, this Obama victory is bringing out the latent crazy in some of these people. It’s not such a bad thing. I like my crazies front and center and easily identifiable. This comment from Brokaw, while ignorant and biased, is slightly disappointing from a seasoned journalist. I’m sure there are a few respected long-term journalists out there but I am drawing a blank trying to name one.

sherry on June 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

JellyToast on June 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

What he/she said.

Itchee Dryback on June 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM

How many will finally accept, instead of giving these so-called “journalists” constantly the benefit of a doubt, that they are not only part and parcel of the radical left in America, they are also just as criminally insane?

8-track-vinyl on June 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM

“What can Israel learn…about its treatment of the Palestinians?”

Answer:

That the “Palestinians” should be damned glad it is Israelis and not Nazis who are responding to their terroristic rocket and suicide bombing attacks.

Brokaw is a puling little fool.

profitsbeard on June 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I’m sure Barry is very sympathetic to the plight of Israel. You’d have to be Muslim, not to!

Star20 on June 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I’ve reached my saturation point with videos of The One

I have to agree. His phoniness is sickening. You could do me a personal favor and never post video of ChimpyO in his capacity as CinC. With two sons serving, it makes me physically ill watching him disrespect them for his personal political gain.

csdeven on June 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Hmmm…Israel needs to learn compassion from Hitler? So far they have treated the Palestinians pretty well. They’ve given over land for peace and received missiles, granades, bottle rockets, and gunfire in return for their kind and peace loving gesture and it really only took Israel 2 years to respond with an armed response to the constant barrage of said incendiary devices being launched at them. What more must they learn, oh sage of ages, Tom? You, Tom, are insignificant and a putz. Obama is a putz. Give wings to the addage, “Birds of a feather flock together.” It’s a putz flock!

Driefromseattle on June 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Was there any discussion of what newspapers and magazines the President reads regularly?

benny shakar on June 5, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Hey, getalife called looking for you, benny. Her diaper needs changing again.

Del Dolemonte on June 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Oh, good, it looks like Rush caught that it wasn’t just Brokaw and that Obama did not reject his premise after giving it the lip-service that so many are willing to accept.

Rush commented and has the REST of Obama’s comments (the “but” in all caps and other bolding is my emphasis.):

RUSH: Today in Buchenwald, the concentration camp in Germany, Barack Obama made his usual Barack Obama speech, ripping Germany, ripping it to shreds for things that happened 60, 65 years ago. This came one day after lauding Islam around the world. Angela Merkel, the chancellor, prime minister of Germany, president, whatever she’s called, the look on her face, if you get a chance to see it, she’s steaming. She’s not a big Obama fan anyway, and you’ll see what I’m talking about when you watch the videotape. Let’s go to audio sound bites about this. Government-run NBC, obviously, got an exclusive with Barack Obama while there. Tom Brokaw interviewed Obama, and they had this exchange.

BROKAW: What can the Israelis learn from your visit to Buchenwald and what should they be thinking about their treatment of Palestinians?

OBAMA: Well, look there’s no equivalency here, BUT I do think that, given the extraordinary moral traditions of Judaism, the potential power of empathy that arises out of having gone through such historic hardships, that that will ultimately give the people of Israel the strength and purpose to seek a just and lasting peace. And that, I believe, will involve creating two states side by side with peace and security.

RUSH: I don’t know about you, this question outrages me, and the answer outrages me. ~snip~

LINK

KittyLowrey on June 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Amazing what comes when one speaks from the heart and not a teleprompter.

redfoxbluestate on June 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM

“And on the other hand” after forcing Israel another step backwards and towards the next holocaust, Obama could truthfully portray the Russian purge before WWII in which multiple millions were sacrificed (in every way you can think of) in order to accommodate and bring forth the ruthless communist Soviet Union (we all knew and loved), many of those murdered then were Jewish too, just as this Pres. plans are to objectify Judea and teach us all about sacrifice now.

Speakup on June 5, 2009 at 5:53 PM

It is good to see these morons so grossly overplaying their hand with all this moral equivalency nonsense. The backlash is going to be a bitch. I can hardly wait.

gridlock2 on June 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM

How low can NBC go? Brokaw should ashamed of himself. I am ashamed of him.

d1carter on June 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM

What can liberals learn from reading the Munich Agreement? And what should they be thinking about appeasement and the “Peace of Paper”?

Loxodonta on June 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Brokaw’s an ass, and that’s being polite.

GarandFan on June 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Honestly though, I’d have to say that Obama seemed genuinely humbled and moved by Mr. Wiesel in that clip. His usual arrogant composure appeared to be thankfully stripped away for a few brief moments there.

The Ugly American on June 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM

On second thought….never mind

The Ugly American on June 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM

What can the Isrealis learn from Buchenwald?

Are you f*cking sh!tting me?

Did this piece of sh!t try to equivocate the gassing of Jews with the restriction of access because of suicide bombing extremists?

Is this the same f*cking a$$hole who wanted palin to recite the bush doctrine that he didn’t even understand but wanted to know how obama felt about getting the nomination??

Brokaw you mother f*cking c@ck sucking piece of sh!t you stopped being a reporter the minute you strapped on the knee pads and started sucking Obama d!ck you half-a$$ed pom pom b!tch for the hope change and hoodwinker and bamboozler who never did anything in his life except run for office and is historic for nothing but his skin color bullshit administration.

Why don’t you and Chris Mathews both go choke on a f*cking pretzel.

BTW B!tch, did you bring your metal detector to search the grounds for any gold fillings the Germans might have dropped so you can send it to the PLO to help them buy Blankets and bandages?? You F*ckwad!

If i get banned for saying this i don’t care…i am so pissed that the motherf*ckers in the MSM are suddenly tossing the jews under the bus to help the Dipsh!t in chief with his love teh arabs agenda.

Get this jackass out of office in 2012 or there will be no America left in 2016 to save.

BillaryMcBush on June 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM

and by the way i am gay middle eastern and since both my parents are muslim i am also muslim by birth although none of us ever practiced the religion after coming to the states in the 60s.

go figure.

BillaryMcBush on June 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM

I’ve reached my saturation point as well. There’s really no use in commenting anymore.

davo on June 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Ooooooo-kay, Brokaw’s official a “moral equivalence” POS…

SuperCool on June 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Beyond revolting!

Vile anti-semite Brokaw…we need to contact the network!

clnurnberg on June 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Far be it from me to criticize a man like Elie Wiesel, but I would hope he realizes that peace in Europe was created out of the twin crucibles of two world wars. However, when he says that all wars are meaningless, I don’t think he gets it. Evil like he suffered has to be crushed, and most often it has to crushed militarily. Saddam Hussein was not so different from Hitler, he was just on a smaller scale. Does that make the Iraq war “meaningless” for Wiesel? Also, how can he turn to the Neville Chamberlain of our times and say he puts his hope in him? Had Hitler kept his designs within Germany’s borders, a lot of people would have been happy to let him exterminate whomever he pleased, much as they tolerated Saddam Hussein.

Kafir on June 6, 2009 at 8:06 AM