Quotes of the day

posted at 10:37 pm on June 4, 2009 by Allahpundit

“Instead, they’re wooing The New York Times as assiduously as Pierre Salinger did on behalf of John Kennedy in 1962. And, perhaps not surprisingly, The New York Times woos back—rewarding the president with a lavishness of coverage not seen since, well, J.F.K. in 1962. It’s an establishment lovefest.

It’s some perfect re-creation of a relationship between president and news media that has not been seen since the White House pressroom was a clubby place with reporters invited into the press secretary’s office for whiskey and cigars. It’s cozy. Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod, who would have been, in previous administrations, the highest and most exclusive White House sources, have become almost casual quotes for the Times.

It is, curiously, a return to a time when the press was so much more dependent on the goodwill, and susceptible to the care and feeding, of the president. Indeed, The New York Times, and the rest of the established press, needs Barack Obama a lot more than he needs them…

They have been handed a most remarkable historical moment—in which they get to remake the media in their own image. They have the power and they are the subject. These people in this White House are in greater control of the media than any administration before them.”

***
“To me, the greatest threat to America is not necessarily a recession or even another terrorist attack. The greatest threat to America is a liberal media bias.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Being a Conservative, rather than a mere republican, is to stick with one’s principles, no matter what. If I were to accommodate the centre, for example, I would no longer be myself – I would be a hypocrite.

OldEnglish on June 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM

And that is fine but don’t go whining, (I’m not saying you are), about the strides that liberals make and that they are destroying the country. How can one conserve a society if they rigidly stick to their ideals? You basically validate what I’m talking about. Rather then bend to save the society you stick to your personal guns and let the rest of us fall. Conservatives as defined today are not team players but liberals are and that is why they are winning and we are not. I really shouldn’t say conservatives are not team players because they often do support the liberal team when they go on the offensive against a conservative or republican for such minor and irrelevant things as Lott said.

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I am a Conservative who is no longer a Republican! The party left me years ago! Don’t and won’t send them money until they return to Conservative principles! I will not support a party that wants to be “democratic lite”

sabbott on June 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I would much rather support “democratic light” then allow “democratic heavy” control the country. I would much rather have at least a foot in the door then be left out side in the rain. At least that foot in the door allows me to hopefully gain entrance. “No sacrifice, no victory.” as they say but hey, many conservatives can sit proud saying they stuck to theirs guns while it all collapsed around them.

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I don’t think you are making your argument well. I think you are saying that tactically, doing the above will not result in a gain. What others are saying is that right and wrong endure, and are stable and unchanging, regardless of what the zeitgeist is. I’m in the second camp (and might face extinction for my sin). I think you will have to accommodate yourself to the notion that some people are unable to accommodate themselves to things that defy their personal value system. You may not see that as tactically or strategically smart, and I think you may have a point, but I’m not sure it’s changeable. I will say though, in defense of your position, that some of the comments by Churchill, such as his willingness to ally with the devil if Hitler and the devil were enemies, show a practical side that sooner or later, if things get much worse, conservatives may have to endure. Politics makes strange bedfellows, and temporary allies of convenience are also facts of life.

JiangxiDad on June 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM

But, there lies the conundrum. I don’t want to save “society”, for there is no such thing in a disparate people. There are only factions, with one or another gaining supremacy for awhile.

It is the seiches of human emotions that cause instability, and a true Conservative sees stability as the bedrock of life.

The Left, on the other hand, cannot survive under stability, so why give them aid?

OldEnglish on June 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM

JiangxiDad on June 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM

All I’m really saying is that if conservatives expect to conserve they have to fight for it and in my opinion they don’t.
Movies quotes:
“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.” Is a concept a lot of conservatives don’t think about. They would rather their needs outweigh the needs of the many.
“I don’t think that word means what you think it means.” For me conservatism is conserving our culture, way of life and conserving the ideals that made this country great. In my opinion far too many conservatives think it means conserving their own personal ideals above and beyond anything else. It brings to mind people more interested in hitting the right notes on the fiddle during fires.

OldEnglish on June 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Fine then don’t vote and don’t complain about the way the country or people fail or fail to meet your personal ideals. In my opinion it is also a very selfish attitude that screams it is all about you. I don’t want to sit around and let the chips fall where they may. I don’t want my children to live in a communist hellhole because I sat on my ass because I didn’t want to save society from those that want to change it into something that effectively destroys the one I grew up in.

I hate to give up on this but I have other things to do and all we are doing is going over the same ground I covered with many of you pre election.

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Voting for Democrat Light is hoping that they kill you last.

jukin on June 5, 2009 at 10:25 AM

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM

And, if everyone held the same viewpoint on life, no-one would be bothering anyone else – they would be too busy leading their own lives.

OldEnglish on June 5, 2009 at 10:36 AM

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM

yep, will have to agree to disagree. I see a kernel of truth in what you say, but only a kernel.

JiangxiDad on June 5, 2009 at 10:39 AM

sabbott on June 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I agree with both sentiments. What I do is look for candidates I hope believe what they say and contribute directly to their campaigne (Rubio;Toomey). I don’t rely on any organization to spend my money wisely just like I don’t expect the government to spend my money wisely.

lwssdd on June 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Well, good luck with that there, Senator.

I think the liberal bias of the MSM is already being addressed. It’s being addressed in the fairest and best way possible – people aren’t buying/watching the biased outlets as much.

Newspapers headed towards bankruptcy (or, more likely, bailout). Olbie and his ilk have ratings that make one wonder how they are still on the air. Even cupcake Katie and friends are struggling. And I, for one, am loving all of the above. :)

I hope they get their caucus in place but, in the end, the free market will make the necessary adjustments without government intervention.

Imagine that! :o

RedNewEnglander on June 5, 2009 at 1:59 PM

jmarcure on June 5, 2009 at 7:16 AM

If everyone thinks alike, somebody isn’t thinking.
General George S. Patton

I respect and consider your opinion, all that I ask is that favor be returned. From liberals and conservatives alike.

alohapundit on June 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM