Video: Obama doing comedy bits with NBC News now

posted at 8:08 pm on June 3, 2009 by Allahpundit

Oh, come on. The guy bowed to him. How could he say no?

In the segment, shown on “Tonight” late Tuesday, Mr. Williams asked Mr. Obama whether he almost canceled his overseas trip this week “to stay and watch” Mr. O’Brien’s “first week as host of ‘The Tonight Show.’’’

Mr. Obama was fully game and, referring to Mr. O’Brien’s succession this week of the former “Tonight” host Jay Leno, joked, “This is something we discussed several times in the Oval Office, how to manage this transition between Leno and Conan. And I think he’s up to the task. But I just want him to know that there is not going to any bailout coming out from Washington if he screws it up.”

There was a time when such cross promotion between a network news division and its corporate entertainment sibling – during a presidential interview, no less — would have caused rebellion in the newsroom. It will be interesting to see what reaction, if any, there will be to this bit of stunt programming at NBC News.

Yes, let’s batten down the hatches for the outrageous outrage that’s sure to erupt from NBC News. If anything, Olbermann and Matthews will be angry that they weren’t included in the bit. What’s amazing about this isn’t that Obama’s willing to do it — it’s free publicity for him — but that Williams is willing to do it, especially given MSNBC’s notoriety for kissing The One’s ass in ways great and small. He had to know how bad this would look, and yet he followed through anyway. The heart wants what it wants, I guess.

The embedded video’s not working for me right now. If you’re having trouble too, watch it here.

Comments

Not left wing enough to qualify for a bailout, or what?

Seriously, journalism is dead.

BadgerHawk on June 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Jokes aren’t as funny when you read them off a teleprompter.

Cicero43 on June 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Nice and cozy.

clorensen on June 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM

American state sponsored media stepping up to the task.

Can we get subtitles in English?

“Glorious leader today announced many initiatives to help the people.”

Blah blah blah.

jeff_from_mpls on June 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM

nbc. of course!

homesickamerican on June 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I guess there really is no doubt about all the bloviating BOR has been doing about Immelt, NBC being in bed with our Precedent.

Dump that GE stock if you have it and boycott all GE products.

This is shameless.

Knucklehead on June 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

He can’t exactly repay GE for MSNBC’s coverage with cash payments. He has to use intangible gifts. Speaking of which, I can’t wait for the GE-Obama smart grid to monitor everything we do.

econavenger on June 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

“…There was a time when such cross promotion between a network news division and its corporate entertainment sibling – during a presidential interview, no less — would have caused rebellion in the newsroom….”

Get used to it. The new state run media is going to be all Obama, all the time.

We’re all Venezuelans now.

cruadin on June 3, 2009 at 8:17 PM

The MSM is acting like the ugly girl who got a single kiss from the captain of the football team…just…yuck.

Next up: MSM reporters whoring for Obambi on WhiteHouseTV…

Wanderlust on June 3, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Makes me want to vomit……

Seven Percent Solution on June 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM

WTF?

Firebird on June 3, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I watched the NBC News White House special yesterday. Brian Williams should be utterly embarrassed. The questions were awful. The editing was awful. It was a complete puff piece. I think the program should be shown in EVERY J-school across the across the country as an example of extreme political bias in news.(I know it will never happen but it should!)

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM

It’s common knowledge that Brian Williams forehead functions as a tele-prompter.

Cybergeezer on June 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM

With regards to Obama, MSNBC and Williams have gone from a peck on the check, to full mouth-to-mouth kissing, to French kissing, to full fledged fellatio. I’m not sure how much further they can go.

MB4 on June 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Maybe Obama will get a variety show out of this…and leave the Presidency…oh wait, who’s the VP again?

AUINSC on June 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM

What?? Faux outrage strikes again. Is the man supposed to be crying uncontrollably with a frowny face all day? He can no longer joke or smile at all?! You guys will hate on him no matter what he does, so I just hope he goes all out so your heads explode. Conservatives got angry when people criticized Bush this way, and here you are doing the same thing. Shocker.

dcwvu on June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Nah. I’ll pass.

Disturb the Universe on June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

dcwvu on June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I’m in no way criticizing President Obama. I’m criticizing Brian Williams and NBC News. It is not Obama’s fault William’s asked stupid question!

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM

OT, I got my Limbaugh Letter today where 8 glorious pages is devoted to Ed Morrisey’s interview with Rush. Whoot. We need a topic thread to give Ed some kudos.

karenhasfreedom on June 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM

dcwvu on June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Re-read the post you moron. It’s directed at NBC and the rest of the media who are completely in bed with President Obama. The media is supposed to be a watchdog against all politicians. You can’t fault TOTUS for taking some free press. It’s just smart politics.

BadgerHawk on June 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM

BHO has more “lovers” than the previous Dem Prez.

jgapinoy on June 3, 2009 at 8:33 PM

holy shit, can you 2 just get a room?

gsherin on June 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM

BHO has more “lovers” than the previous Dem Prez.

jgapinoy on June 3, 2009 at 8:33 PM

And I’d jump for joy if that previous Dem Prez was back in the White House.

Knucklehead on June 3, 2009 at 8:35 PM

dcwvu on June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Oh, you mean after all those hard-hitting adversarial questions Obama gets from the state-run media day in and day out? It’s a wonder Obama bears up as well as he does!

ddrintn on June 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM

The MSM talk to him as if everything is going well; hunky dory. I’m Brian Williams and I see a rainbow weeeee. I dont think BHO is the only one who’s punch drunk.

jaboba on June 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM

dcwvu on June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

And by the way as Barack Obama supporter you too should be embarrassed and offended about the puff piece they aired last night. The left keeps telling us about the great intellect of Barack Obama (and I do believe he is very smart man) and with the fluffiness they aired last night his intellect and depth did not shine through. As supporter don’t you want the guy you voted for to be shone in a better light?

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Pravda was tougher on Brezhnev. This is embarrassing.

ddrintn on June 3, 2009 at 8:38 PM

And I’d jump for joy if that previous Dem Prez was back in the White House.

Knucklehead on June 3, 2009 at 8:35 PM

At this point, I’d be happy with his wife in the White House. At least the media wouldn’t be compounding this problem further.

sherry on June 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I don’t. I haven’t seen any evidence of smarts, except maybe smarts in ingratiating himself with Dem bankrollers.

ddrintn on June 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM

American “journalism” at its best…

d1carter on June 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM

BadgerHawk on June 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Its’ getting embarrassing watching you posters having to explain the posts to the trolls before you kick their asses, but, then I guess what would you expect of anyone dumb enough to vote for the Pinnochio Presidente!

dhunter on June 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Wait, Letterman gets passed up to host the tonight show just to have his (Letterman’s) replacement to be the host after that. Awesome.

- The Cat

P.S. Andy’s back? I may have to start watching.

MirCat on June 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Brian: Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today, Mr. President.

Obama: Thank you, Brian. What is your first question?

Brian: Sir, may I kiss your ass?

ladyingray on June 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM

P.S. Oh yeah Obama. umm uh yeah that’s all I have to say.

MirCat on June 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM

econavenger on June 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

But ctrl-alt-del to your medical records…

Caper29 on June 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Brian: Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today, Mr. President.

Obama: Thank you, Brian. What is your first question?

Brian: Sir, may I kiss your ass?

ladyingray on June 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Obama: You know you never have to ask, baby…

ddrintn on June 3, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Lets hope Conan moderates NBC’s Obama butt kissing.

Speedwagon82 on June 3, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Yeah, I saw this last night. I wanted to check out the “new” tonight show with Conan O’Brien and saw how Mr. Williams was with Obambi. You got to expect this people. They don’t call it the National Barack Channel for nothing.

Tim B.

Tim_B on June 3, 2009 at 8:59 PM

dcwvu on June 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

The hell you say. We aren’t doing what you say, but I reject your premise anyway! Conservatives didn’t get angry when people criticized Bush this way. We got angry when they called him Hitler, called him the devil, said he was going to destroy the United States, said he was destroying the constitution, called him a liar, called him a war criminal…

That’s what made conservatives angry, you silly child.

apollyonbob on June 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Caper29 on June 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Oh yeah, GE-Obama Medical Records database looks like a fascistic orgy of corruption – just waiting for Brian Williams to do a hard-hitting “investigative report.”

econavenger on June 3, 2009 at 9:08 PM

As opposed to NBC doing it’s regular comedy bits it calls “news”?

SuperCool on June 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Facepalm. It’s like the media is becoming a parody of itself… well, I guess it really is.

OneGyT on June 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Or rather, MSNBC is a parody of the rest of the media.

OneGyT on June 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Oh CWAP! I didn’t get mine today. WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ladyingray on June 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Quid pro quo.

TheSitRep on June 3, 2009 at 9:22 PM

MSNBC‘s new call letters: KYJELLY.

profitsbeard on June 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Jokes aren’t as funny when you read them off a teleprompter.

Cicero43 on June 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM

ZING!

The good burn that hurts so good.

TMK on June 3, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Does Obama have a Napoleon Complex?

Looks that way.

History Chaser on June 3, 2009 at 9:27 PM

ladyingray on June 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Wooot……First question asked tonight at Fox…..and they asked it twice…..”Why did he choose Cairo”

Knucklehead on June 3, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I’ll always remember Brian Williams as the NBC a-hole who took it upon himself to spend a week in Baghdad putting together a special that centered on trying to prove that the surge was not working after the evidence already came in that it was not only working, but working far better, faster and smoother than anticipated.

He’s a pathetic anti-military surrender monkey just like his new girlfriend Obama.

fogw on June 3, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I saw it last night & the funniest part was when O (in his inimitable fashion) fumbled & uh’ed when he mentioned Conan O’Brien and after the clip O’Brien was laughing & said “Did he forget my name? He forgot my name!”, and played the uh-ing part again. As Allah sez: Comedy Gold!

KS Rex on June 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM

He had to know how bad this would look, and yet he followed through anyway.

Can a popular president recover from the tarnished image of being seen making a joke with a reporter? Probably not. Odds are, this brings down the entire Obama administration.

e-pirate on June 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM

e-pirate on June 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Yeah, baby! He’s goin down!!!
Oh wait, I get it — you were being sarcastic, weren’t you? …

KS Rex on June 3, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I’m still waiting for the video of the blow job. I’m sure it was just edited out.

GarandFan on June 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM

e-pirate on June 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM

PS – Ed was talking about Williams looking bad, not Obama, Mr. Smarty Pirate.

KS Rex on June 3, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I meant AP.
*blush*

KS Rex on June 3, 2009 at 9:47 PM

e-pirate on June 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Again this is NOT Obama. Let me put in liberal terms for you: You know how Jon Stewart jokes about how bad the media is and everyone in the audience laughs. This is about horrible NBC and you should be laughing (and embarrassed for NBC).

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I worry about Journalism and Broadcast majors today as this is not what they should dream to become…

Rockygold on June 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM

What a disgrace Brian Williams is. Did anybody notice if “the one” had a ring on? If so, Brian should have kissed it. The media is toast.

suzyk on June 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM

It is like our media is progressively getting worst. I wasn’t the hugest fan of Tom Brokaw when he was anchoring the NBC Nightly, I don’t think he would have given such a fluffy interview as Williams did yesterday.

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Not to mention all the GE commercials sandwiched in between the love fest sessions to sell the GE green junk to the Feds for the billions promised to them by the O campaign hoped for.

PattyJ on June 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Am I the only one who thinks our President should be somewhat, er,….presidential?

jimmy2shoes on June 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Why should palin be the only one getting huge laughs on network television?

benny shakar on June 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I thought Brian Williams couldn’t sink any lower than when he aired the Virginia Tech murderer’s stupid tape. I was wrong.

Jim Treacher on June 3, 2009 at 10:35 PM

benny shakar on June 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Why should your obsession with the governor of Alaska be the only thing keeping you alive?

Jim Treacher on June 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Why should palin be the only one getting huge laughs on network television?

benny shakar on June 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I will grant you an award benny shaker: Most Creative Way of Bringing Up Gov. Palin When The Thread Has Absolutely Nothing To Do With Her.

Have a cookie because it is going to be hard to put all that in a generic trophy.

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Informercial™.

4k78 on June 3, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I’m sure this comedy routine made all the moronic left wingers out there slap their knee, guffaw, then spit the chew in a empty Budweiser can.

Spiritk9 on June 3, 2009 at 11:21 PM

It’s this kind of hard-hitting, bare-knuckled journalism that made NBC what it is today.

A joke.

hillbillyjim on June 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I think this is the 1032nd time already that the trolls are thinking : is this all you got.

This type of crap keeps rolling in yet they still adore their Obama.

CWforFreedom on June 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Jim Treacher on June 3, 2009 at 10:36 P

Target met

CWforFreedom on June 3, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Next, the President will be making guest appearances on the Tonight Show… oh wait.

smfoushee on June 4, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I think someone forgot to tell Obama he didn’t win American Idol. He’s actually President now, not just playing one on tv. No more ego trips to the local hamburger joint to be ooh’d and ah’d by adoring fans. He actually has more important things he should be doing than vying for a special guest spot on SNL.

What are the chances he’s going to be walking down the red carpet at the next Oscars? Pretty good. And his excuse will be that he promised Michelle he’d give her an occasion to wear her new Christian LaCroix gown.

MichelleO on June 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM

jimmy2shoes on June 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I think you’re on to something, jimmy.

benny shakar on June 4, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Dump that GE stock if you have it and boycott all GE products.

This is shameless.

Knucklehead on June 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Done.

We can make a difference. For example this past weekend I went to buy some light bulbs. Until recently I would have just grabbed any brand (usually GE) but this time I consciously passed them over and reached for Sylvania.

Baby steps, I know. But every little bit helps.

UltimateBob on June 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Obama = scum of the Earth.

Griz on June 4, 2009 at 1:54 AM

Oh Thank God! I was afraid Barry wasn’t gonna tell us how he felt about this! I am so relieved. I can die happy!

What an unbelievable schmuck the Liberals have for a President!!!!!

primer on June 4, 2009 at 1:58 AM

jimmy2shoes on June 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM

No, you’re not alone. This whole thing is beneath contempt.

Alana on June 4, 2009 at 1:59 AM

benny shakar on June 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I am going to make a wild guess:

1. You have not accomplished one notable thing in your life. 2. You resent Sarah Palin because she is loved by millions and has the the qualities of greatness reminiscent of Ronald Regan.
3. Even your mother thought you were a loser.
4. You still wet the bed.
5. You rely on the government for monthly cheese.
6. You are too lazy to recycle and blame Sarah for your shortcomings.

Geochelone on June 4, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Only to be trumped by Michelle Obama hosting the “Applebottom Jeans, Boots wit Da Fur” appreciation symposium at the Whitehouse.

Alden Pyle on June 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM

terryannonline on June 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Dearest Terry,

You dream world is about to go up in smoke. Obama is like a worm crawling on a fresh laid turd. It is Obamas fault. IT HAPPENED ON HIS WATCH, the one Soros gave him for promising to exterminate all the jews.

Puff, You dream fanatasy is gone. Oh well.

Geochelone on June 4, 2009 at 8:15 AM

One of my favorite 30 Rock episodes is the one where we drop in on Kenneth in one of his regular duties at NBC — cleaning away the liquor bottles, porno mags, and scrawled graffiti (“Katie Couric Sucks”) from Brian Williams’ office after a bender.

Williams is a wee bit of a whore.

DrSteve on June 4, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Dang, I miss Tim Russert.

kg598301 on June 4, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Dump that GE stock if you have it and boycott all GE products.

This is shameless.

Knucklehead on June 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I’ve never had GE stock, but I won’t ever buy anything they make, again, and I boycotted NBC, and MSNBC months ago. I also won’t buy from anyone that advertises for their shows.

capejasmine on June 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM

benny shakar on June 4, 2009 at 12:55 AM

No, you don’t think.

Jim Treacher on June 4, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Meh. I don’t have a problem with this.

Next outrage, please.