Video: Did Brian Williams bow to Barack Obama?

posted at 11:29 am on June 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Drudge has this one, and Stormin’ Morning Java has the still. When I first saw it, I thought, “Nah. Brian Williams must have looked down. Americans don’t bow to their political leaders, and especially not the American media.” Wrong!

We made hay when Obama bowed to Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah, and this feels almost as bad. Shouldn’t the American media have more of a sense of separation, observance, and skepticism? All right, all right, stop laughing.

Bonus question: If Williams bowed, what would Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews do to wish the President a good night? On second thought, I don’t want to know.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

yep and Obama bowed back. Must be the new handshake.

johnnyU on June 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Wow . . .

I guess Williams was waxing nostalgic for his days as a Carter administration intern.

Disgusting.

sdun1 on June 3, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Another galley slave. Only well paid.

mytralman on June 3, 2009 at 9:22 PM

That was a bow. I am sure it won’t be repeated. Can you imagine the mail?

Cindy Munford on June 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM

This is not news. The word is that the people who work at Msnbc & NBC draw straws everday to see who will get the honor to wipe his backside and serve him steak & eggs in bed that day.After all that the least they can do for the chosen one.

thmcbb on June 3, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Another dog vomits.

JellyToast on June 3, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Oh, please dear God, make it stop! *barf, barf, barf*.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on June 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Brian Williams will now have to change his nightly sign off.
“I am Brian Williams, with the President’s d*** on my breath. Good night.”

cyclown on June 3, 2009 at 10:45 PM

He saw a sign

CWforFreedom on June 3, 2009 at 10:47 PM

My husband and I accidentally saw the Brian W’s bow as we were flipping channels.

I said, “Did you see that?” He said, “I sure did.”

I think that most young people who saw that now think that US citizens are supposed to bow to the president!

My husband thinks Williams’s bow plus Obama’s fantasy about the US being one of the largest Muslim countries will help drive conversions to Islam.

alice on June 3, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I think this is an example of tea bagging. What a douche nozzle this guy is and don’t get me going on that douche at CBS.

pjf626 on June 3, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I’m glad Williams “outed” himself.

Star20 on June 3, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I don’t really see that as a bow. I nod my head in greeting or farewell all the time.

Now, it’d be interesting to see if BRIAN uses that mannerism often, or if he only uses it for Presidents that own his CEO.

hawksruleva on June 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM

You finally hit upon the ring of truth at the end. May I be the first to assert that you will find not one effing hint of a video that shows Brian Williams bowing to anyone, anywhere, for anything.

Except His Majesty, the Clown Prince.

Jaibones on June 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Y’know, I don’t have a problem bowing in the presence of Obama. (Truth to tell, my bow would probably present my posterior to his smiling mug.)

He’s obviously already doing the same thing to the Constitution.

realitycheck on June 3, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Williams misbowed. He chose his bow poorly. Williams admitted that if he had to do it over again he would have bowed differently. His bow was taken out of context and that is not how he would have bowed today.

Geochelone on June 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM

yep and Obama bowed back. Must be the new handshake.

johnnyU on June 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Oh you mean a ghetto thing. Will be funny to see all that bowing from the kids who wear their pants down around their thighs and their boxers showing. In a year or two, we’ll see the white kids at the mall all bowing to each other. Might start a whole Asian type fad. Hmmm, Asian is the new black. Koolio.

JiangxiDad on June 4, 2009 at 7:12 AM

RegularJoe on June 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Did he ever give Bush a “respectful nod?”

Disturb the Universe on June 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Hey, don’t get me wrong. I think Williams was probably wearing kneepads under his suit — just in case the opportunity arose. And no, you would have never seen any show of respect for Bush because they loathed him. I fully agree with you about his attitude, as expressed in a multitude of ways.

I’m just saying that, given the limited resource that is the American public’s attention span, THIS PARTICULAR GESTURE is not an effective way to make a case against either MSNBC or Obama.

RegularJoe on June 4, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Of course he bowed and more importantly, barry acknowledged it.

peacenprosperity on June 4, 2009 at 10:23 AM

NEAL before ZOD!!!

Or at least bow….

44Magnum on June 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM

KNEAL = KNEEL

44Magnum on June 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM

NEAL before ZOD!!!

Or at least bow….

44Magnum on June 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM

lol

Bow to him, bow to your master.
Shameful.

Mulligan on June 4, 2009 at 2:48 PM

A click of the heels would have been nifty.

keep the change on June 4, 2009 at 6:25 PM

That’s a bow from the servant to his master and lord . Come on , Asians bows to their elders or superiors as a sign of respect . Europeans who have peers and royalty does this as well . Americans on the other hand do not bow to the President nor to any elected official or bureaucrat . Heck , I have not seen a nod that is done so deep and involved bending your chest down like a bow . In that deed , Brian Williams had shown us what he thinks of President Obama , that he is king and lord of his world .

DinobotPrime on June 4, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I would have enjoyed being behind Williams the Lackey when he bowed so I could kick his fanny so hard to see if I could actually drive his brain back up where it belongs so it could get some much needed oxygen! We are living in strange times, folks. Those who don’t normally pray, I would start so TODAY!

Driefromseattle on June 4, 2009 at 8:02 PM

He didn’t bow, he merely was checking for that thrill running up his leg. It happens in all 57 states with our media….apparently.

Lets recap:

No more 70 degrees on the thermostat.
No more eating what you want.
No more driving SUV’s.
No more handshakes, only bows. Got it.

Is it 2012 yet?

dthorny on June 5, 2009 at 12:10 AM

secret handshake

kellyjane on June 5, 2009 at 12:24 AM

“Kneel before Zod.”

5u93rm4n on June 5, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Kissing the Ring is next.

MSGTAS on June 5, 2009 at 9:56 AM

F A G !

SDarchitect on June 5, 2009 at 10:19 AM

“Kneel before Zod.”

5u93rm4n on June 5, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Oh, Superman, where are you now?
Where everything’s gone wrong some how?
For men of steel, men of power,
We’re losing control by the hour.

– from “Land of Confusion” (Genesis, 1987)

OneVision on June 5, 2009 at 11:21 PM