Now it can be told: Obama has “Muslim roots”

posted at 8:08 pm on June 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

I guess this means the “Hussein” comment that O’Reilly smeared us with last week wasn’t so offensive after all. Ah well. Enjoy talking about it now because, come 2012, it’ll be safely verboten once again.

You can imagine Tapper writing the headline to his post, thinking, “I know Drudge is going to love this. I know it.” And sure enough. That’s the mark of a smart blogger, folks. Anyone can wring big traffic from a big story. Wringing big traffic from crap is where we separate the men from the boys.

Which reminds me. We’re overdue for an atheism post.

During a conference call in preparation for President Obama’s trip to Cairo, Egypt, where he will address the Muslim world, deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications Denis McDonough said “the President himself experienced Islam on three continents before he was able to — or before he’s been able to visit, really, the heart of the Islamic world — you know, growing up in Indonesia, having a Muslim father — obviously Muslim Americans (are) a key part of Illinois and Chicago.”…

Since the election, however, with the threat of the rumors at least somewhat abated, the White House has been increasingly forthcoming about the president’s roots. Especially when reaching out to the Muslim world.

In his April 6 address to the Turkish Parliament, President Obama referenced how many “Americans have Muslims in their families or have lived in a Muslim majority country. I know, because I am one of them.”

This should give U.S. diplomats a handy conversation-starter with the “death to America” crowd we’ve invited to celebrate, um, America’s birthday. Exit question: Whose Obama cultists are more devout, ours or Egypt’s? I’d say it’s a close call.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

he spent twenty of those thirty years at a Christian denominational church — not an Islamic Masjid!

blatantblue on June 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM

As kingsjester said, Trinity “Church” of “Christ” believes in a caricature of Jesus. This “church” subscribes to Black Liberation Theology as formulated by James Cone. A quote from Dr. Cone:

Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the black community. Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love.

Forget the Islam. No one who went to a “church” whose founder expressed such a philosophy should have been elected dog-catcher much less POTUS. Keep that in mind the next his administration does something that is patently meant to drive a wedge between black and white Americans.

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Debbie Schlussel on June 3, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Again do you want to ignore the olive branch I sent to you in August of 2008? I’ll wait for your answer.

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM

well, all of us in Iran can’t wait for you to go back on Politically Incorrect

lolwut on June 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM

A Warning to the Right, 12/19/06

Baldilocks, your reference is well taken.

A name is a name, as with a rose. It is the content of Obama that repulses anyone who is not Marxist. This entire Obama trauma in America is because his ideology is overtly Marxist. So far as he is concerned, his Marxist (mother) Muslim (father) experience and his Black Christian Chicago Machine experience and even his name are merely tools that he deploys with the most refined Alinsky techniques ever.

That Obama is dishonest and deceitful repulses even Islamic leaders who see that Obama would simply use them, too, given opportunity, not for America’s benefit (mutual agreement), but for Obama’s accumulation of global power (likely at their own expense as he’d be calling the shots). This trip with no photographs and his address to Islam from Egypt is momentous.

/We got a chuckle the other day from Rush on Schlussel’s “me first always right” demand for attention.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Yeah. I thought we knew Obama had a Muslim heritage on his father’s side, and from his years in Indonesia, where he was registered in school as a Muslim.

The MSM just now being willing to acknowledged this is the only “news” here, as far as I can tell.

J.E. Dyer on June 3, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Black Christian

as Black Liberation Theology as formulated by James Cone.

Don’t misconstrue rude intent. I’ve already posted in previous months/years re: differentiation that you remind us about.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Who cares if he’s Muslim, Christian, or atheist? He’s still a neo-fascist, economy-wrecking asshole.

Blacklake on June 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 12:22 PM

If you’re talking to me, I knew what you meant. You and I have tangled before but we’re adult enough to bury the hatchet and not in each other. :)

Some are not so grown-up.

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Let us never forget His historic quote:

“Americans have Muslims in their families or have lived in a Muslim majority country. I know, because I am one of them.” – President Obama: Address to the Turkish Parliament, April 6, 2009

Friendly21 on June 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Having the Iranians over for dinner when people are setting off explosives in the sky and the streets?

I mean that’s like inviting an ax murders and chainsaw massacrers to a logging camp.

- The Cat

MirCat on June 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Still “waiting,” Ms. Schlussel.

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Baldilocks, you’ve given 2 good reasons to reconsider giving him the benefit of the doubt: his lies and deception, and what he’s done since elected.

I have no idea where you stand on the eligibility issue, but the first point I took it seriously was when he fought in court rather than just present the requested information. Until then I thought it was a wild goosechase. What sealed it for me was when I saw with my own eyes the proof that what he posted was a forgery. Not something dependent on counting pixels or calculations by forensics experts.

On pic #5 I saw a seal placed on a fold, which was perfectly round rather than bending with the fold. The pic #1 close-up photo of that “seal” which DID bend with the fold had the words too blurry to read but words that should have been right under the fold (Barack Hussein Obama)were missing – so it wasn’t on Obama’s COLB.

I could see the seal on #5 was a photoshop on Obama’s COLB. And trying to pass off a real seal from a different document on #1 proved that I wasn’t just imagining what I saw. #5 is the only document which shows any authenticating marks AND the Obama information at the same time. Observation of both #5 and #1 prove that factcheck knew Obama’s COLB had no authenticating seal.

None of the information on a COLB is anything Obama himself could do anything about so it has no potential to embarrass Obama. So why would he commit the federal crime of forgery rather than show his real COLB?

When I saw that it hit me, “By gosh, this is for real!”

Since then I’ve wondered just how much other deception he’s done on all of us.

justincase on June 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM

You guys need to add the Facebook Share tag..

will sass u on June 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM

justincase on June 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM

It’s not the “crime” it’s the cover-up–and the adult actions of the individual, Barack H. Obama.

As far as the COLB goes, it’s to the point that–without proof–it would be foolish to believe him if he said water was wet. He’s hiding something. Perhaps it is the birthplace…or the identity of his father.

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Aw, Baldilocks, give the guy a break; he’s suffering from Allahzeimers, the disease that causes you to forget you were a muslim.

Mr. Bingley on June 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I’ve heard quotes from Cone but not this one. Amazing! I know Write adores Cone.

shick on June 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Hey, nice article about you: http://gawker.com/5273994/finally-someone-brave-enought-to-call-sonia-sotomayor-j+lo

lolwut on June 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Haha.

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 2:02 PM

According to Islamic law, he’s a Muslim. And the Muslim world sees him that way.

Debbie Schlussel on June 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM

But according to Christian rites, as Obama was baptized, he’s a Christian. And millions of Christians see him this way.

So, is Obama a Muslim or a Christian?

I know your works; I know that you are neither…

– Revelations 3:15

By his words and deeds, Obama is:

– An elite semi-intellectual snob who thinks highly of his own intelligence, but make gaffes routinely, while ridiculing the intelligence of those with whom he disagrees;

– a product of the most corrupt political system in the country who doles out plum jobs and pork to his friends while using his position of authority to threaten his political foes;

– a person with no administrative or managerial skills and who’s administration routinely demonstrates massive incompetence;

– a person who places political ideology over pragmatism and even reality;

– a hypocrite who has demandingly high standards for his opponents, while employing highly flexible or no standards for himself and his supporters;

– a longtime friend, associate and admirer of extreme leftist radicals, including terrorists, and an anti-American pastor, and one who demonstrates that he also has an extreme left-wing ideology and a very negative view of the United States; and

– a narcissistic egomaniac who is self-indulgent and power hungry, who has a charismatic face and speaking voice, and who surrounds himself with fawning fans who idolize, pamper and praise him.

Any one of these characteristics is dangerous in an American president. That Obama combines all of them, makes Obama the most dangerous president that our country has ever had.

So, for these reasons, I really don’t see Obama as being either Muslim or Christian, but someone who worships the sound of his own voice and what he sees in the mirror.

This is not to say that Obama didn’t try to conceal his Muslim roots, or the MSM didn’t go overboard in helping him do so, or his Muslim roots do not influence him, or that people supporting this theme have been too harshly criticized.

However, I prefer to stick to what is demonstrable from the words and deeds of Obama himself. Aren’t they bad enough?

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Obama must be The One. Who else can convert their parents from one religion to another by simply speaking the words?

hawksruleva on June 3, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Will Barack Obama proudly state his middle name in his speach tomorrow? Does the Arab press use his middle name?

hawksruleva on June 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM

President Obama = King Tut?

… in that he also is way too young and naive to rule such a powerful nation? Or that he should be buried and forgotten for thousands of years?

Beo on June 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM

There are some who can’t wrap their minds around the American ideal of individualism. Most of those are on the other side–but some claim to be on ours.

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Today, Obama said the U.S. is one of the largest Muslim countries. First off, with a muslim population of 3 million or so, we’re not that large. I would guess that we’re not in the top 10. In fact, a quick check shows we’re not in the top FIFTY of muslim populations.

Secondly, he recently rejected the notion that America is a Christian nation, or a Jewish nation or a Muslim Nation. Does he take back that rejection?

hawksruleva on June 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Debbie Schlussel on June 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Why do we only hear from you when you think you are right…you are like the “mystics” who only tell you about how “right” they are when gazing into the future.
Every fortune teller comes forward with their predictions; after the fact.
Try commenting on a regular basis here, and we will see how “right” you are.
Or are you too busy creating new snide remarks about some candidates children…making fun of their names.
That gave you a lot of credibility…

You claimed that my whole tribe–the Luo–were Muslims. Did you ever retract that? No?
baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM

This is an excellent example of “Debbie the Seer”.

right2bright on June 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Well said, Loxodonta. I don’t think Tapper’s point was “OMG, Obama’s a Muslim!” but rather to point out the outrageous hypocrisy and cynical opportunism of the man.

Nichevo on June 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Loxodonta, bravo!

Vulpem pilum mutat, non mores:
A fox may change its hair, not its tricks.

“Words, just words.”
Facta, non verba: Deeds, not words!

Proverbs 20:11
Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM

baldilocks on June 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM

People are like presents. They’re packaged in different shapes and sizes. Their wrappings are of different color and design. Some appear to be quite expensive, eye-catching or elegant. Others are quite simple, dull or sloppy and crude.

Some people think that the packaging and wrapping are important. They spend a lot of time looking at them, even shaking them, as if these clues really determine what’s inside. But you never really know what’s inside until you unwrap the package and take out what’s hidden within. And its foolish to measure the value of the gift by its current popularity, immediate usefulness, place of purchase or price tag.

The best things in life are free.

And the rest are just on loan.

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM

hawksruleva on June 3, 2009 at 2:15 PM

And after they are dead. Even Mormons do more than simply speaking the words to convert the dead.

But as for The One, Obama missed that mark having turned away the little children that came to see him. “His Own” befits the demi-one.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Nichevo on June 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM

That was my take as well.

Obama remains consistently coy, including the promotion of what a ghostwriter concocted as Obama’s autobiography.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 3:05 PM

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Thanks. I confess that for much of my time lately, I’ve been stuck in that extraordinarily painful, dissonant climax to Burckner’s unfinished 9th Symphony.

So, I’ve had to work hard to remind myself, that even though life is full of trials and tribulations, life is inextinguishable.

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 3:20 PM

O One

B Big

A Ass

M Mistake

A America

Its just too bad his name isn’t OMFBAMA

-Dave

Dave R. on June 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM

/If she asks for our community acknowledgment, here’s another citation earned at the Telegraph.

UPDATE 2: Debbie Schlussel cites a reputable survey by Pew that puts the number of Muslims in the US at 1.8 million. This would make it the 48th biggest Muslim country, after the above list plus France, Libya, Jordan, Israel, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Kyrgyzstan, Mauritania, Germany, Kuwait, Oman, Eritrea, Lebanon and Serbia and Montenegro – and just above Britain, which would be the 50th.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Who cares if he’s Muslim, Christian, or atheist?

Totally agree. The problem is his actions versus his words.

I also agree with Justincase’s comments about the BC. Sorry, but it doesn’t pass the smell test. There is something being hidden and until BHO (we can use the middle initial this week) shows a certified copy of the long form B/C – I ain’t believing my lying eyes.

katablog.com on June 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I’ll be honest. I wish Obama were a practicing Muslim. He wouldn’t be so radial on abortion, and he’d end our foreign intervention in the Middle East, which is only perpetuating deficit spending and making us less safe.

Yeah, I’m a heretic here at Hotair.

MedSchoolCatholic on June 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Yeah, I’m a heretic here at Hotair.

MedSchoolCatholic on June 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on June 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Why don’t you find a place where you’re more suited, Schlussel?

corona on June 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Hey, I’m not sure if you’re pulling my leg with angst. But if you’re hurting, I feel your pain metaphysically and literally. The news is enough to drive us crazy if we don’t determine on a goal to accomplish, another grassroots zeitgeist expression of disgusted disapproval with Obama’s presidency. /Took a spill walking the dog yesterday; she’s always been able to jerk me off balance, but has only succeeded 3 times in 13 years. Nothing broken, and the collarbone/shoulder pain is subsiding since yesterday, thank God my tendons and muscles are only bruised.

Lox, thanks for the Bruckner and Nielson musical references. It takes me time to research and listen to your musical quotations. Wow. And then to coordinate my response.

I’ve only touched on Bruckner to date, very much enjoying his work (music history exams, and then humble organ works for Mass). I recall his 9th’s Scherzo, and the story surrounding the “unfinished” attempt to complete it as Beethoven did with his CM choral conclusion.

The final accomplishment of Bruckner’s life was to be his Symphony No. 9 in D minor which he started in August 1887, and which he dedicated “To God the Beloved.” The first three movements were completed by the end of 1894, the Adagio alone taking 18 months to complete. Work was delayed by the composer’s poor health and by his compulsion to revise his early symphonies, and by the time of his death in 1896 he had not finished the last movement.

I knew he was a very tender and introverted personality, devout Catholic. I saw a BBC movie based on his life’s obsession with nature and numerology. I mistook him as Mahler’s contemporary, when it was Brahms now that I remember was his age. I didn’t realize that Bruckner taught Mahler, and that he made acquaintance with Liszt in the 1860s, only about a decade later than the “Young Romantics” born around 1810. Damn that Hanslick, ridiculing his symphonies as boa constrictors, making life so unbearable with mean spirited dogmatic “purist” criticism. What a boorish elitist man, Hanslick.

On the Great Dane, other than his name and chronologic placement, I don’t know his music.
Carl August Nielsen (9 June 1865 – 3 October 1931) was a conductor, violinist, and composer from Denmark.

“Archetypal embodiments of oneness and conflict respectively” makes an interesting introduction.

“Objektivering”
By this term Nielsen meant an aesthetic approach wherein the instruments, or the players operating them, are given leave to assert their individual intentions, as interpreted by the composer. At the time Nielsen was writing the Fifth Symphony, with its sometimes violent dialogue between the clarinet and the snare drum, he also produced the Wind Quintet, Op. 43 for a group of wind players whom he knew well personally. He resolved to write a concerto for each man, but completed only the ones for flute and clarinet. The latter (1928) immortalizes a clarinetist known for being irascible, and uses this character as a means of commenting on the anxious world condition at the time.
WIKI

“Objektivering”–I’m not sure I understand that. “The instruments, or the players operating them, are given leave to assert their individual intentions, as interpreted by the composer” sounds like double talk. The composer gives the performer/instrument the liberty to assert their own individual intentions according to what the composer interprets. The conclusion seems a better explanation of Objektivering (as an extension of programme music’s tradition): immortalizes a clarinetist known for being irascible, and uses this character as a means of commenting on the anxious world condition at the time. THAT is something that the Romantic musicians were fluent doing all along.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, I’m a heretic here at Hotair.

MedSchoolCatholic on June 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Not quite what you think .

CWforFreedom on June 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Hey, I’m not sure if you’re pulling my leg with angst.

Now dreary dawns the eastern light,
And fall of eve is drear,
And cold the poor man lies at night,
And so goes out the year.

Little is the luck I’ve had,
And oh, ’tis comfort small
To think that many another lad
Has had no luck at all.

– AE Housman

And it doesn’t help that the news is so often dreary, frightening or devoted to Obama worship. So, much like Bruckner, I turn to nature and music and my dear God for comfort and support. Perhaps my favorite passage from his symphonic output is the “sunrise code” of the first movement, Majestoso, of his 6th, starting at about 3:10 in this clip. The pulsing, vibrant main theme warmly explores every shade of tonality, brightening and rising, before getting clouded by darkness, only to quite suddenly and miraculously burst upward into a blazing, glorious, triumphant A Major, concluding in absolute certainty.

As to Nielsen’s use of the term, “Objektivering,” I believe he tended to write for instruments and groups of instruments as if they were expressing unique personalities or group characteristics, sometimes resulting in musical arguments and even warfare. Sort of like the commentators here at Hot Air.

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 8:46 PM

So how did you become so familiar with Bruckner? Is he programmed a lot by the NY Philharmonic?

Bruckner commonly alternates between solo and tutti sections, as well as layering instruments to provide texture and show different subject groups

–a neoclassicist referencing Baroque Concerto Grosso compositional techniques.

I need to reflect on what I knew/know regarding spiritual element attributed per key, A Major optimistic examples.

I’ll listen to the music now.

On melancholy, would you consider a pet finch or canary, perhaps, to brighten your corner of the world? Mozart had his. Consider the sparrows, and how your Father in Heaven cares about you even more.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Loxodonta, you’re not alone. I came across this a few weeks ago from a favorite of mine.

“Spin”

In the wind that blows through the cosmos
Is a vibe pitched higher each day
And it drags to the edges the weak and the mad
Spinning faster and faster they say

But as Hesse put forth in Siddhartha
Those who internalize all
Will step to the middle of life’s dual paths
In mastery of their inner call

As the lost and extreme on the edges
Fall to sainthood or debauching style
I’ll follow the path of the gentle and meek
Everyday putting myself on trial

By Beto_Ochoa at Sweatin’ It Out
Thursday, April 16, 2009

Refresh yourself with Liszt, “Les Jeux d’Eau” annotated with John 4:14 in his manuscript.

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 11:12 PM

maverick muse on June 3, 2009 at 10:40 PM

So how did you become so familiar with Bruckner?

When I escaped from the place where I grew up, I went through the entire classical music section of a major library, several thousand records. Alphabetically by composer. I also read all their biographies, analyses, and histories on this topic. I identify with Bruckner very much.

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Debbie Schlussel has done the best in depth reporting of the radical islamic scene in the Detroit/Dearborn area where I live. She is an angry reporter, and her opinions are based on the facts she reports. Speaking both arabic and Hebrew is an asset to her reporting

She has a better understanding of islam than those who think it is just another church denomination, and she is highly sensitive as a Jew to the threat to her people

I think she is an asset to the blogger scene. Someone with less anger, and less intelligence would have folded long ago. She has taken on a movement that does not tolerate people like herself.

Why some people consider her a kook is a mystery. So far, she has scored some major scoops

She is more Cassandra than Colbert, as the MSM has tried to diminish her effect

You can read F.A.I.R.’s criticism of Debbie and you can read her own list of recent accomplishments

entagor on June 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM

entagor on June 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Yes, and as Confucius once said, “Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without”.

MB4 on June 4, 2009 at 4:14 AM

I hope that TMZ has a correspondent in the Middle East, with at least a camera cell phone. Or, a lucky Muslim teenager with the same, inside a mosque.

You know He’s gonna do it. You know He wants to. You know He is gonna be gifted with a nice cloth for a Muslim ceremony in a mosque (don’t mean to offend Muslims, on the contrary!) but I despise hipocrisy.

That is what that man stands for. To be a bold two-face liar. We need a “V” person to undo what has been done to our country.

ProudPalinFan on June 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM

hawksruleva on June 3, 2009 at 2:25 PM

That Teleprompter of his says the darnedest things. We are a Nation of 3 million Muslims; the rest are infidels.

Geochelone on June 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Emrace your new Muslim nation… all 57 states!

ObamatheMessiah on June 4, 2009 at 10:02 AM

lolwut on June 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Hey I wanna take credit from that! I twittered that to conservatives there. I am from PR and trust me she has not made it to the cover pages online. Have to dig around to find stuff of her. So far, nothing from a journo there, only news articles translated from AP/EFE.

Since she has PR background/upbringing BUT she was not born and raised in PR, I consider her a J-Lo.

ProudPalinFan on June 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM

ProudPalinFan on June 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM

That’s right. All women of Puerto Rican descent are JLo. /s

baldilocks on June 4, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Loxodonta on June 3, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Then let me learn from you. Bruckner is one of those hidden magnificent greats. He never meant to “compete” but to compose. And the marvel of his music is his extension of Beethoven via the Lisztian New German School.

(Yes, I’m sniping Wagner, having read their complete correspondences and knowing how deeply he injured on every level his best (and only) friend.)

During my youthful summer studies at an Academy, introduction to Mahler via friends performing his symphonies live. I remember them tagging Mahler as the orchestral member’s symphonist, their favorite. Mahler and Bruckner were not the composers featured in American Southwestern orchestras during the ’60s other than LA, SLC and Houston or Dallas. And I enjoyed climbing trees much more than studying music for as long as I could before devoting so many years in the practice room to earn my higher education.

That Bruckner was Mahler’s teacher is extraordinary, I’m still fascinated by the imagination of classroom instruction. I loved compositional studies with my mentor whose talents included inspiration. Bruckner’s depth exemplifies his contemplations. I always felt badly for the Christian faith to have sold itself for sophistry, specifically the censoring of the metaphysical by the tangible. Compared with Bruckner, despite depressions and disillusionment with society, Liszt’s idealism remained intact within his Caritas motto; and his sanity prevailed via devotion to liturgical music in his final years as a monk. The same applies to Bruckner, I believe, except that Bruckner was not the cosmopolitan Romantic Hero, but more in kind with the sorrowful young Werther, though sensing better than to take his own life. Religion aside, Bruckner’s distinction from Schumann as another young Romantic was that Bruckner never married, so was not betrayed as Robert was by Clara. Bruckner’s solitude in life was not necessarily by choice at first, though undoubtedly was by choice after maturity. There was no one who understood him, and the constant efforts to fit in must have been absolutely excruciating since he never developed social skills, even in conversation.

Though you understand Bruckner with full appreciation, Loxodonta, you have the well honed skill of verbal communication that connects you with others. And you have many here in this online community who admire your thoughts and appreciate your own existence.

maverick muse on June 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM

maverick muse on June 4, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Music begins with silence.

Learning begins with a question.

Life can be very difficult and cacophonous.

Not all questions can be answered in this life.

Loxodonta on June 5, 2009 at 12:08 PM