Quotes of the day

posted at 10:36 pm on May 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

“General Motors Corp. will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy early Monday, marking the humbling of an American icon that once dominated the global car industry and setting up a high-stakes gamble for U.S. taxpayers.

The question now facing 56,000 auto workers, 3,600 GM dealers and the Obama administration: Will it work?”

***
“I never ever could have believed that one day this thing would go that way. We were so successful.”

***
“After the grown-ups had gone to bed, Tommy and I shifted the Buick into neutral, pushed it down the driveway and out of earshot, started the engine and toured the neighborhood. The sheer difficulty of horsemanship can be illustrated by what happened to Tommy and me next. Nothing. We maneuvered the car home, turned it off and rolled it back up the driveway. (We were raised in the blessedly flat Midwest.) During our foray the Buick’s speedometer reached 30. But 30 miles per hour is a full gallop on a horse. Delete what you’ve seen of horse riding in movies. Possibly a kid who’d never been on a horse could ride at a gallop without killing himself. Possibly one of the Jonas Brothers could land an F-14 on a carrier deck.

Thus cars usurped the place of horses in our hearts. Once we’d caught a glimpse of a well-turned Goodyear, checked out the curves of the bodywork and gaped at that swell pair of headlights, well, the old gray mare was not what she used to be. We embarked upon life in the fast lane with our new paramour. It was a great love story of man and machine.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Well, now we see why the Dems want Card Check. They have to replenish the supply of union contributors since the UAW and others have pretty much run their industries down the tubes.

ddrintn on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM

If you’ve got soy spinners and genuine hemp seats, I’m all over it.
Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2009 at 11:08 PM

They haven’t yet figured out how to attach spinners to the wagon wheels, but I have faith they will figure it out. The seats will be covered in the same drapery fashions that Michelle Ogabe uses to make her dresses.

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Maybe Obama will give us all helicopters so we can fly to oh, I dunno, Broadway if we want.

SouthernGent on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Well, Love, that is probably why I’d not internalized that term. Afterall, I’m not much for staring at others’ birds’ bums. :) That would be chav’ish to say the least, innit?

tickleddragon on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Circa 2013, they’ll be saying that about the good old U. S. of A.

Mike Honcho on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM

ROFL!

Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2009 at 11:18 PM

You can cancel GMs debt, but you can’t make people buy the cars.

Yes, they can. Eventually the choice will be GovMotors and only GovMotors.

To paraphrase Henry Ford (appropriately enough in this case): You can have any car you want, as long as it’s GM.

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM

tickleddragon on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Ahh so ya’ a bird!

Good call on the skivvin, ya bruv

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I have always owned American made cars, mostly Fords and I have no complaints. I still think it’s funny that the Dems went crazy at the thought of taxpayers investing a small portion of their Social Security but the federal government can blithely buy huge chunks of private industries using the taxpayer’s money without batting an eye. We are being scammed and we just need to shut up.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 11:20 PM

tickleddragon on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Oh dear, and here I thought blatantblue was a dude…

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:20 PM

tickleddragon on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

ya aint a bird i read ya wrong

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM

SouthernGent on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Silly peasants, thinking they can enjoy the frills that come with being part of the Dem elite…

ddrintn on May 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM

tickleddragon on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM
ya aint a bird i read ya wrong

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Yeah, a bird, make no mistake.

tickleddragon on May 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM

If you want a glimpse into the future, take a hard look at the Chrysler K-Cars of the past; the shattiest most craptastical pieces of shatty crap that ever cursed a blacktop.

I learned to mechanic on cars such as those, and the nightmarish stories I could tell would curl your hair (or straighten it as the case may be). It went beyond bad fitting and poor welds, some of the problems were intentional such as assemblers putting nuts and bolts into void spaces just so they would rattle around.

I’ll keep my GMC truck going until it disintegrates around me, I sure as he1l won’t buy another GM.

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM

You mean that gown Michelle saw in a window?

Like these drapes?

Also, those Obamaneers, how many Michellepower will they have?

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 11:27 PM

If american companies are laying off 500,000-600,000 people per month then why did americans folk over what will be about 50 Billion to save One million jobs? If the UAW has that much power then american business needs to destroy the UAW or the UAW will destroy america.

izoneguy on May 31, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Jinx, you owe me coke!

Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Um, er, I don’t have any of that but I hear Obozo has a stash.

txag92 on May 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM

OT: but I can’t get my hot tips e-mail to work.

Ed and Michelle are featured on Day by Day in today’s strip.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled blog already in progress.

DrAllecon on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

izoneguy on May 31, 2009 at 11:27 PM

A little to late for that…

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Since I’m now a stockholder in GM, I propose we sell the company to China and cancel some of our debt.

Texas Gal on May 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM

China no want shitty car company. We have good Chinese car for you Americans.

izoneguy on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

GOD, I hope not!!!

katy on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

China dont want it…

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Just think if China bought GM they could then export those little electric cars that Obama wants to make and sell them at Walmart.

Texas Gal on May 31, 2009 at 11:32 PM

GM and the entire American Automobile Industry should have died a long, long time ago.
Three things killed this behemoth: 1.) a paternalistic corporate socialism jammed down their throat by the New Deal, 2.) the blood-sucking UAW jammed down their throat by the New Deal and 3.)a constant escalation of safety and performance standards jammed down their throats by every administration in the last 70 years.
Given the constant war against capital waged by the Federal Government over the last 80 years, the best management on earth couldn’t have changed the eventual outcome and everybody’s known it for a half century. Finally this corporate zombie is toppling over, not from the advertised malady, but from rigor mortis. Its been dead for decades but now it can’t even stagger around scaring little children any more.
Like some long dead reptile, its autonomic nervous system still twitches when you poke it, but it’s brain went dark and silent long ago.
The real tragedy here is two fold. First of all, GM and Chrysler would have had a better than even chance of adapting and flourishing in a free market if we’d ever had one, and if they’d failed they would have died quickly and mercifully without all the collateral damage. Instead they were loaded down with every stupid social agenda item we could think of and milked mercilessly by everyone in sight.
The second part of the tragedy, or should I say atrocity, is the we’re now going to spend a veritable ocean of cash trying to breath life back into this corpse and every time it twitches again we’re going to pretend that it’s still alive and everything is fine.
I’m sorry, it’s not fine. The answer to too much government is NOT more government!

Lew on May 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM

izoneguy on May 31, 2009 at 11:27 PM

A little to late for that…

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Thank You – you see the point.

izoneguy on May 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM

China no want shitty car company. We have good Chinese car for you Americans.
izoneguy on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

The problem with Chinese cars is that you have to grab the keys from the salesperson’s hand before he closes it, just to prove you are worthy of buying it.

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:34 PM

China no want shitty car company. We have good Chinese car for you Americans.

izoneguy on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM

But you got to be 3 feet tall and 90 lbs to get in them!

Texas Gal on May 31, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Truly excellent!

progressoverpeace on May 31, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Texas Gal on May 31, 2009 at 11:32 PM

The Chinese have no interest in making anything that nobody will buy. They may be communists, but their not entirely stupid.

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:35 PM

tickeldragon

so you are a bird?

if so do you havbe coinslot

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I’m going to look mighty stupid carrying a few sheets of 4×8 drywall onto the city bus, and I haven’t yet figured out how to put my boat in the water using a bicycle.

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM

tickeldragon

so you are a bird?

if so do you havbe coinslot

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Are you posting while inebriated again???

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Are you posting while inebriated again???

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM

……

Wish I could say I was…

But I’ll use exhaustion as an excuse.

Maybe I’ll do some drunk posting tomorrow! Thank Allah for the fact my wordpress ID stays logged in!

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Dont be silly, the government will take your boat and your house away from you when you are transferred to the William Ayer’s Memorial Community Re-Education and Conservative Elimination Facility.

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

GM and Chrysler are toast.

I give them three years to live.

Tops.

-Dave

Dave R. on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:35 PM

But.. but… according to Obama.. this is the NEW GM, unlike the OLD GM.. right?

Texas Gal on May 31, 2009 at 11:43 PM

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Well that’s the one in Tampa, FL.

The West Coast facility, known as the Jimmeh Carter Memorial “Peanut Farming” and Animal Care Camp

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:43 PM

is in Sacremento

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:43 PM

GM and Chrysler are toast.

I give them three years to live.

Tops.

-Dave

Dave R. on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Three years, they are already dead, their corpses are just convulsing.

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Obama just released this video statement to reasure us:

RightWinged on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Here’s the new business model:

Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Isn’t that part of Cap-and-Trade? Where they inject unwanted carbon into the ground?

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

goodnight everyone

to all my HA hoes, keep it sexy

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

As a former and one time loyal GM customer, the last straw for me was when the GM dealership in Yonkers NY refused to help me when my Pontiac TranSport broke down on the Sawmill expressway just after the last toll barrier. Even though I had an extended warranty still in effect.

Nope, I buy Japanese from now on. They care about their customers.

Not since my original first car, my 67 Chevy Chevelle, which was the best car I evah owned, all other GM’s were crap. I kept coming back again and again, only to be disappointed by GM, their product, GMAC, and their lousy service departments.

I’ll never forget the service manager that looked me in the face after bringing in my vehicle for the 18th time, in the same month, to fix the same leaky driver side window that never got fixed, and ask me, “Did you purchase the car here?” MORON! Consider a career in retail sales, say K-Mart.

I dance on your Grave GM, I fart in your general direction, I blow my nose at you GM. DIE DIE DIE, and take the UAW with you. Rot in the Obama hell you now find yourselves in.

Goodbye, Good Riddance, DIE!!!

I feel better, and I love my Honda.

Kini on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Loxodonta, good to have you back by the way.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Yes, why yes it is… ;O

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:46 PM

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Sleep well.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 11:46 PM

No, the question should be, is ‘for whom does it work?’ Will the assembly line workers go on the federal government payroll as the airport baggage screeners did? After all, no one can build a better car than the professional assemblers of the federal government. Wasn’t that the argument used to justify making baggage screeners federal employees?

Once on the federal payroll, no auto worker will ever have to fear losing their jobs; no one will ever be fired, nor will layoffs happen.

Look at the fine job NASA does. Obviously, the federal government should do for the auto industry what it has done with space exploration, and the corporations that benefit from government contracts.

Why we would have the best technology that NASA engineers and scientists can invent, not just in our cars, but that same creative talent should also be directed at the ‘alternative energy’ industry. We would have autos no other country could build, and all our energy would be free.

It would be win-win for everyone.

Skandia Recluse on May 31, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Kini on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I’m with you. I’d recommend a good Irish wake to toast to their demise and wish them well with the devil, but we’d just end up on another one of Janet’s watch lists.

Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Yes, why yes it is… ;O

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Carbon soil injection is so much better for the environment than ovens.

And it’s such a joy finally having a president who’s so green. Isn’t it?

I doubt there’s been a greener one.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I doubt there’s been a greener one.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 11:50 PM

ROFLMAO!!

Texas Gal on May 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Just wait………..

…….. when Iran attacks Israel, and North Korea starts showering the Pacific with missiles, we will need Government Matters to produce tanks and other war materials, and such just like in WWII,

…….. but the unions will demand a five hour a day, two day work week.

Whew………..

…………. for a moment there, I was getting worried.

Seven Percent Solution on May 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Had GM been permitted to file for bankruptcy last August…without the unions, the Dems, and the rest of the doom sayers standing in the way, General Motors would be operating under a new streamlined model, and all this forced grief imposed on GM, and the taxpayers, would have been largely avoided.

But, no…all the hype about what would have happened to GM and the Nation had they been permitted to file for bankruptcy last August got in the way, and a new political football was hatched.

Are we, as a nation, really that dumb?

coldwarrior on May 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Just wait………..

…….. but the unions will demand a five hour a day, two day work week.

Whew………..

…………. for a moment there, I was getting worried.

Seven Percent Solution on May 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Now wait a second sport. They know they’re gonna have to work longer than that. You can’t possibly screw on all those solar panels and turbines on that many tanks and missiles in two days.

Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

GM and Chrysler are toast.

I give them three years to live.

Tops.

-Dave

Dave R. on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Three years, they are already dead, their corpses are just convulsing.

doriangrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Yeah, the Democrats are just trying to come up with ways to justify keeping UAW workers employed in a company that doesn’t exist.

ddrintn on May 31, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Someone please explain to me just how having fewer car dealerships will help the new US-GM sell more cars?

stonemeister on May 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM

It won’t help them sell more cars. It might help them sell fewer cars for a profit instead of a loss.

One of GM’s (and, to a lesser extent, Ford and Chrysler’s) biggest competitors is itself due to a bloated dealer structure. Too many dealers means that they end up cannabalizing each other to move metal. This results in money being lost on every car.

In 2002 I was looking for a new truck and decided that I wanted a Chevrolet S-10. At that point GM had my business as I was no longer cross- shopping the competition. However, within a 30 minute drive of my home there were 8 Chevrolet dealerships as well as 2 GMC truck dealerships which sold the identical GMC Sonoma.

This enabled me to play 10 dealerships off of each other until I got the price I wanted. It’s great for the consumer, but multiply that by every car or truck GM sold that year. Suddenly their overlarge dealer network has made them unprofitable as deep discounts on every car undercut the bottom line.

Clearly, that’s not the only problem that brought GM to this point but it sure doesn’t help. GM doesn’t need to sell more cars. The glory days of a single automobile company controlling over 50% of the market as GM did in the 50′s and 60′s is over.

What GM needs is to become profitable on the smaller marketshare they have. When you only have 17- 18% of the market, you don’t need the dealerships (or brands and model lines) that you needed at 50%. Most of these dealerships should have been shuttered long ago.

Dukeboy01 on May 31, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Texas Gal on May 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Thanks for getting that.

Loxodonta on June 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Dukeboy01 on May 31, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Which they would probably love to do, were they not an entitlements company with this unprofitable car-making sideline.

ddrintn on June 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Thanks for getting that.

Loxodonta on June 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM

I love your humor!

Texas Gal on June 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Well I got a future classic in the garage. A Pontiac Solstice. In about 40 years it will be worth what I paid for it again….

It’s a sad day. GM did it to themselves. They had help from the UAW and the US government in the way of CAFE standards. Detroit is rotting like a piece of fruit left out in the sun, and they have no one to blame but themselves and those they support in government.

So how is that working out for you? Hint to those on welfare, the government wants to keep you there so you keep voting to get that free check. The DC school vouchers revocation, nothing more than an attempt to keep people from improving their own situation. The man is holding minorities down, and the “man” is half minority himself. Sweet…

Hog Wild on June 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

You forgot about the “Wind Machine” powered ships (sails), tanks (just make sure the ground is flat and the weather is good) and planes (otherwise known as balloons)…..

……. that should scare our enemies.

Wait………. didn’t we already go through this phase?

Seven Percent Solution on June 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM

TA, 2CV, DS, ID, GS, SM, CX.

Car guys will know what those letters mean. That’s my old school.
The two letters you will not see in that group is GM.
And the Jug-Eared Marxist can bite me.

BillH on June 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM

My last GM car was a Vega. Goodbye, GM, and good riddance.

unclesmrgol on June 1, 2009 at 12:30 AM

My last GM car was a Vega.

unclesmrgol on June 1, 2009 at 12:30 AM

heh… just gave away your age.

Hog Wild on June 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Good thing I have my F250 4×4. 1999 with 52,000 miles on it and runs like it just drove off the line.

My wife has a 2007 Explorer lease, we’ll just buy it at the end.

Also have a 2009 E150 handicap modified van.

Ford to the bone, and not ashamed of it.

Spiritk9 on June 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM

P.J. O’Rourke’s column is one beautiful piece.

Pointy-headed busybodies of the environmentalist, new urbanist, utopian communitarian ilk blamed the victim. They claimed the car had forced us to live in widely scattered settlements in the great wasteland of big-box stores and the Olive Garden. If we would all just get on our Schwinns or hop a trolley, they said, America could become an archipelago of cozy gulags on the Portland, Ore., model with everyone nestled together in the most sustainably carbon-neutral, diverse and ecologically unimpactful way,

In a deep irony, the mythical past of “small-town” America was peopled with small-town busybodies. Everyone left to go to urban areas…and 60 years later what do we have?

Same thing

r keller on June 1, 2009 at 12:34 AM

After the grown-ups had gone to bed, Barack and I shifted the Gulfstream into neutral, pushed it down the driveway and out of earshot, started the engine and toured Broadway…Michelle Obama.

d1carter on June 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM

I’m a former pro wrestler, pretty good welding skills, from now on I’ll be building my own cars, thank you, and I like to sit way up high. I also have some associates, scouts, security and the like to help us locate our energy suppliers. Don’t mind the mohawks and tattoos they’re really a fun loving bunch.

By the way, my name is “The Humongous” what’s your’s?

canklespotter on June 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Hog Wild on June 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM

And yet they’ll keep voting just like they’ve always done. Democrat.

ddrintn on June 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

(for the most part)

ddrintn on June 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM

“Circa 2013, they’ll be saying that about the good old U. S. of A.
Mike Honcho on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 PM”

You mean the “U.S.S.A.”

Star20 on June 1, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Government and unions killed the golden goose. They leached off of it, overregulated it and overtaxed it. They made them sell cars they lose money on. Forcing them to make small cars now will be their death, the Japanese own that market. Being government owned will if anything hurt their image in the marketplace even more. My town is dead. Michigan is doomed for years to come. Auto is going away and the libs are making sure nothing new comes in. I will be paying on a house that is going down in value faster than I can make payments on it.

The final nail in the coffin for me was NAFTA, GATT et al. Free trade is great but everybody knows that industries that are unionized can only survive in a protectionist environment. To throw open the door abruptly could only fail. I am not arguing for protectionism now either, but this was really the only outcome that was possible once that happened. In the end, everyone who bought a foreign car to get a better value will be screwed anyway, because the taxpayers will be on the hook for the bailouts and the union pension funds.

The failure of GM and Chrysler will ripple through the economy and massive new unemployment will occur. Taxpayers will be turned into tax consumers. Any gain we have gotten for opening up our markets will be erased due to the massive toll on our economy and government budget. Meanwhile we have a party in power that loves unions, more taxes, and high energy costs. All of which will make us even more uncompetitive. We are screwed. What is happening in Michigan today will be everywhere else tomorrow. It is happening already.

echosyst on June 1, 2009 at 1:01 AM

GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan … none of it matters. It really S*CKS to be a pick-up truck or SUV afficionado right about now. Even if GM and Chrysler are the ONLY companies that disappear, I STILL wont be able to buy a decent truck after 2016. The inane 35.5 mpg mandate imposed by the Obamanation will turn this category of vehicle into a distant memory. Many of us can’t afford to buy or operate a commecial grade truck, but by 2016, that will be ALL that is available to us. The stuff that they are going to try to foist upon us that they call a ‘light truck’ won’t be worth buying.

My collie says:

For 50 years, we couldn’t go to Cuba, so Obama has brought Cuba to America. Now, ALL of us will be trying to figure our how to keep our 50 year old pick-up trucks and SUVs running.

Hmmm. Maybe I should open a garage specializing in keeping those sorts of vehicles running. Capitalism may yet find a way to triumph over that lying fascist reprobate occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Avanue.

CyberCipher on June 1, 2009 at 1:01 AM

So, billions of dollars later we end up where we should have been in the first place? Someone tell me how all that bailout money helped GM?

Fed45 on June 1, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Fed45 on June 1, 2009 at 1:10 AM

The funny thing (and when I say funny I mean scary) is it didn’t.

Boy this is one long April Fools day joke. When will the real president step forward???

FontanaConservative on June 1, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Dave R. on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

LOL! I hope you aren’t a doctor!

Doctor Dave: I’m sorry sir, but you have eight months left at the most.

Decaying Corpse:…

Doctor Dave: I can see you are thinking about it. I’ll send in the nurse to see if you need anything.

Decaying Corpse:…

Doctor Dave: Poor bastard. I’ll do my best to save him.

TMK on June 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM

I’d rather buy a Japanese company’s car, made in the U.S. by non-U.A.W. workers than a GM made in China.

Maybe its just me.

Star20 on June 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM

My last GM made car was a 1979 Buick. Owned it all of six months. Traded her straight across for an F150. Since 1980 I’ve been GM free. The only one who have gotten my money since is Henry Ford and the Zaibatsu.

Banzai!

Limerick on June 1, 2009 at 1:37 AM

The US auto industry really took off right after WWII benefiting from little foreign competition (Japan/Germany needed to rebuild) and a real mastering of design concepts that had equal parts of bold and flair. They never were known much for their reliability, though. Then the 70s came, the boomers got married. They turned away from childish things and traded their muscle cars for mini-vans and uber-reliable imports. Now the boomers are slouching toward geezerville and they don’t even need the mini-vans nor do the 1.5 kid boomerang families.

The US auto industry as we knew it is finished, they’ll be no turning back. Internal combustion? Kaput! The Asian imports have spoken, “All your car are belong to us!“.

The only hope for the US transportation industry to rise from the ashes is to change the paradigm not with foolish things like mass transit and puny people movers but with something spacious and individualistic using completely new technologies. If and when it happens, it won’t be done with the people in the current auto industry but with some young innovative spark plugs who can ignite the next generation’s excitement so long ago lost, soon after fins and well before the box.

Sailfish on June 1, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Now the boomers are slouching toward geezerville

Sailfish on June 1, 2009 at 1:42

Hey! I’ll have you know I’m still faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a locomotive and able to click all 128 channels at once.

Limerick on June 1, 2009 at 1:47 AM

So WTF were all the bailout billions for?

They could have filed for Chapter 11 last Fall and saved us a massive amount of kale.

And plenty of arugula, too.

profitsbeard on June 1, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Remember the “emergency” to pass the “stimulus”. We’ve only spent about 3% of that so far.

PEOPLE, ARE YOU WAKING UP YET!?

RightWinged on June 1, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Not at all. If workers want to unite in groups for collective bargaining, that’s one thing, but when a union controls all who can work at a company, that is anti-capitalist.

And what’s worse, the unions eventually get their people on the both sides of the negotiating table. They’re paid up with the right people in Congress so that even market forces can’t put these sick old dogs to sleep.

American auto companies are no longer part of the economy, they are now union rackets designed to extract as much from taxpayers as possible and are considered a protected class by their lapdogs in Congress.

Now the trick will be to fool enough private citizens to continue buying government cars. Sure, they’ll continue to pump money into the failing rackets, but keep an eye out for lowball tactics designed to decrease market share of the companies that remained competitive.

TheMightyMonarch on June 1, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Are we, as a nation, really that dumb?

We’re not dumb, we’re just completely powerless.

They passed the first bail-out over everyone’s dead bodies, then followed it up with tons more expenditures every bit as non-monitored as that was, and then laughed in our faces when we objected.

They bailed out the car companies simply to spread our money around to the unions, and the confiscated the companies for the same purpose.

They’re going to do the same thing to other industries – as many as they can – until they own practically everything and, though they’ve used our money to do it, we won’t have a piece of any of it, any more than we have had a say in any of it.

They will just take our money and give it to their friends, which is what they have been doing all along. And we can’t do anything about it, because we are no longer protected by the rule of law. If we were, the government wouldn’t be able to break people’s contracts and confiscate their money.

Alana on June 1, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Also known as The Day America Died.

GM was a test run. The next target is health care. Then, after that (or maybe along with it), energy.

They’ve already got the “costs too much” meme going.

amkun on June 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Are we, as a nation, really that dumb?

coldwarrior on May 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Have you seen who we put in the Oval Office?

hillbillyjim on June 1, 2009 at 5:34 AM

It will take a Regan, Thatcher, or a Palin to have the political will to dismantle the political industrial machine the Democrats have built. As we speak tax payer dollars are being funneled to groups who in turn funnel them right back to the Democrats. In addition half the state of Michigan is dependent on the Democratic party to for its jobs all but ensuring the end of fair elections in that state. That is reality and it is a bitter pill. Think agriculture subsidies and amtrak, that is what we have created in Detroit.

rob verdi on June 1, 2009 at 6:26 AM

By the way how is it progressive for working and middle class people to have their taxpayer dollars go to people making 74 dollars an hour?

rob verdi on June 1, 2009 at 6:26 AM

My father and my grandfather kept up a running argument about Ford vs Chevrolet. Well, it seems the argument is over.

The next vehicle I buy will probably be a Ford. There is a first time for everything. So long GM. I will not buy a car from Government Motors.

Terrye on June 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Let’s see, as I understand it- socialism is when government owns the company and fascism is when the government totally controls individuals who run the business. This is what makes it hard to define Obama. Is he a fascist? A socialist? Or both?

MaiDee on June 1, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Terrye on June 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM

I don’t think Ford will be around long–at least as an American company. Their own unions are now their direct competitiors. The US gov’t and the UAW have a financial interest in Ford’s demise. Also, for those angry at the UAW’s strong-arm tactics and assumption of an ownership stake in the companies, why does it make any more sense to reward UAW built Ford cars than UAW built GM cars.

I own two GM cars, and always have had a GM or Ford product (except for one disastrous experience with a VW ). My next car will be American built by non-union workers–probably Japanese.

Libs don’t buy Am. cars, and now conservatives will avoid them. I hope the UAW chokes on its car companies.

JiangxiDad on June 1, 2009 at 7:16 AM

I’ll join Romney‘s chorus. Give GM back to the American people.

Sounds better than to leave GM as another government failure, or worse, property of China via collateral for more Obama debt.

maverick muse on June 1, 2009 at 7:27 AM

rob verdi on June 1, 2009 at 6:26 AM

Eyes wide open.

maverick muse on June 1, 2009 at 7:29 AM

GM was one of the first American corporations incorporating B2B and all other IT global banking+credit for possessive infrastructure brokering all global businesses.

Its auto manufacturing is not the only industry Obama is absorbing from GM.

maverick muse on June 1, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Obama’s legacy is the death of the U.S. auto industry. With unions dying and newspapers going by the wayside, when will people wake up that hanging with the Dems is bad for the pocketbook? Liberalism may sound good in theory (to some), but in practice it’s mostly elbows to the eye.

Those of us who choose individual liberty and the acquisition of wealth can’t object too much to this Liberal decimation, since it mostly affects Liberals. Those with any common sense (i.e., Conservative leanings) know to keep their distance from this administration, this government, this Liberal insanity. It is like one of those Southern California fires that messily burns itself out.

EMD on June 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Sooo….. How do I cash out?
Or at least get my proxy vote?

PaKeystoner on June 1, 2009 at 7:50 AM

GM? You mean that giant retirement benefits provider? They make cars?

mankai on June 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM