Quotes of the day

posted at 10:36 pm on May 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

“General Motors Corp. will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy early Monday, marking the humbling of an American icon that once dominated the global car industry and setting up a high-stakes gamble for U.S. taxpayers.

The question now facing 56,000 auto workers, 3,600 GM dealers and the Obama administration: Will it work?”

***
“I never ever could have believed that one day this thing would go that way. We were so successful.”

***
“After the grown-ups had gone to bed, Tommy and I shifted the Buick into neutral, pushed it down the driveway and out of earshot, started the engine and toured the neighborhood. The sheer difficulty of horsemanship can be illustrated by what happened to Tommy and me next. Nothing. We maneuvered the car home, turned it off and rolled it back up the driveway. (We were raised in the blessedly flat Midwest.) During our foray the Buick’s speedometer reached 30. But 30 miles per hour is a full gallop on a horse. Delete what you’ve seen of horse riding in movies. Possibly a kid who’d never been on a horse could ride at a gallop without killing himself. Possibly one of the Jonas Brothers could land an F-14 on a carrier deck.

Thus cars usurped the place of horses in our hearts. Once we’d caught a glimpse of a well-turned Goodyear, checked out the curves of the bodywork and gaped at that swell pair of headlights, well, the old gray mare was not what she used to be. We embarked upon life in the fast lane with our new paramour. It was a great love story of man and machine.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

They make cars?

mankai on June 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM

OldEnglish on June 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM

All of my American cars were part of the trickle down economy.

Wherever I parked them, you could always see the spots where the oil trickled down.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 11:08 PM

These are the kind of jokes my gearhead buddies and I have been telling about old British cars and motorcycles for decades.

I guess it’s America’s turn to be the butt of industrial jokes. This is just the beginning, I’m afraid.

Damn.

pugwriter on June 1, 2009 at 8:02 AM

The implications of this are far reaching.

No one in their right mind will buy a car made by the fn government and a gd labor union.

This will be a big fail!

Of coarse police chases will take on a new tone as cities are forced to buy these sh1tty commie cars for their squad cars. they’ll never catch the crook driving a free market car.

TheSitRep on June 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Let’s see, as I understand it- socialism is when government owns the company and fascism is when the government totally controls individuals who run the business. This is what makes it hard to define Obama. Is he a fascist? A socialist? Or both?

MaiDee on June 1, 2009 at 7:06 AM

Oh I’ve a name for him and it isn’t either of the things you mentioned.

pugwriter on June 1, 2009 at 8:06 AM

TheSitRep on June 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Can you imagine how demoralized the Police will be going from a Dodge Charger to a “Urkel” car? The crooks will be able to outrun them on foot!

Welcome to the new Socialist United States.

kingsjester on June 1, 2009 at 8:07 AM

pugwriter on June 1, 2009 at 8:02 AM

My first car was an old Buick, but then I drove Toyotas exclusively… My father bought his first in 1974 and drives them to this day… when I got married, my wife had a Pontiac… I was complaining at work how it ruins our new driveway when a woman who, along with her husband, worships Chryslers said “all cars leak oil”…

That’s the skewered view of the world you get when you support the union-made dinosaurs.

The unions sealed GM’s fate when they made it extremely difficult for the big three to respond to changes in the market and to competition. Management is not off the hook here… they reacted slowly in the 70s and 80s, not seeing the threat… but even if they had tried to respond more quickly, their hands were tied by union commitments.

mankai on June 1, 2009 at 8:09 AM

This union model was doomed to fail. Only here in Michigan does a G.E.D. pay you more than a Masters Degree. For decades I’ve seen so many Union workers (many in my own family) live the good life at the expense of others. It drives you crazy to think that the highschool drop out living down the road from you has a bigger house, an extra car, 2 motorcycles, a motor home, snowmobiles, 4 to 6 weeks vacation, great health benefits, and anything else you can imagine just because he got a Union job. It’s a complete joke when you talk to these guys and realize that all they do is complain about how hard life is cause they actaully have to work a 40 hour week once a month. This has been destined to fail for a long time.

MichiganMatt on June 1, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I saw on TV this morning that the bailout money amounts to $300,000 for every UAW worker. I guess we now know who wns the whitehouse.

TrickyDick on June 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM

It might work but somehow I don’t see them allowing the Camaro, Corvette, Solstice, etc to continue. They will design a small box w/Briggs and Stratton engines for the masses. My 4 muscle cars should go up in value though.

faol on June 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Tragic. Amazing to think it’s really happening – hopefully we’ll just see the different brands splinter with the more successful and/or iconic ones getting bought up. I guess Holden will be Australian again, too.

Was disappointed months ago when some people here almost seemed to relish the notion of GM going under just because of their own beef with unions. I wouldn’t be surprised if I find the same if I go back through these comments section, but I think I’ll pass.

Perhaps, oddly enough, living in America makes people blind to some of the things that really are regarded as American Icons. GM itself? Maybe not so much, but brands like Chevrolet? Absolutely. I grew up with and learned to love America by way of the Camaro, and took pride in finally owning one myself, something that wasn’t just another Falcon, Commodore, WRX or Skyline..

Who knows, perhaps to add the final insult, it could be some foreign car manufacturer that buys out the brand.. Chevrolet! The heartbeat of America! Brought to you by Toyota.

Reaps on June 1, 2009 at 9:30 AM

My question is: what do the UAW workers at Ford do now? They are working against their self interest, since they own the other two domestic manufacturers.

Vashta.Nerada on June 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Welcome to the new Socialist United States.

kingsjester on June

Volkswagon had an ad, years ago, that touted a small podunk town that used a beetle for a police car and it emphasized their use of it to chase down speeders. I think that may have predated truth-in-advertising laws or something.
Just reminiscing.

SKYFOX on June 1, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I guess I should have written “Beetle”, not “beetle”.

SKYFOX on June 1, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Vashta.Nerada on June 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM

why you’d ALMOST think it bordered on being as much a monopoly as they whined about “William” Gates having…..?

sven10077 on June 1, 2009 at 10:03 AM

If you look at the NYT ‘interactive slideshow‘… Well look at who shows up in 1995? See him in the photo?

That’s right.

TOTUS.

Reaps on June 1, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Our cars meant freedom. We could get in and go anywhere we wanted at anytime. Now because of gorebull warming, we’re not supposed to drive at all unless we have a pregnant roller skate that works off a battery. It’s all about control and taking over the car companies was just another step in that process. Buy big now and run them until they fall apart. It works in Cuba.

Kissmygrits on June 1, 2009 at 10:53 AM

So bye, bye Miss American pie,
Paid my levy to bail out Chevy and my wallet ran dry
And union boys were friskin’ regular guys
And singin’ “This’ll be the day that you die.”

Steve Z on June 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM