George Tiller murdered

posted at 8:59 pm on May 31, 2009 by Allahpundit

My two thoughts on this: (1) Murder is bad and wrong; (2) blogs will be even more insufferable than usual this week. The cops haven’t confirmed yet that the shooting was political but given Tiller’s infamy for performing late-term abortions plus the fact that he was shot once before, there’s little doubt what the motive was. I wish I could say there are no Bill Ayers types on our side, but I can’t; I wish I could say there are no right-wing nutroots degenerates online cheering them on, but I can’t say that either. As for those who condemn the murder while merrily hoping that he’s burning in hell, let a poor confused atheist ask you this: Isn’t the proper Christian response to any death to pray that God will have mercy on a flawed, fallible sinner, who’s now at last seen the error of his ways? Tiller might have changed his mind about abortion and repented in years to come but his killer’s deprived him of the chance. No prayers that God will take that into consideration?

I’m going to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and leave comments open, but if I see anything in the vein of what LGF has noted, the thread will be shut and offenders summarily banned. If you can’t resist pissing on a man’s grave, doubtless there are other blogs that will accommodate you. Don’t let me down.

Update (Ed): The murder of George Tiller at his church is a heinous crime, without any sense or justice. Regardless of how one feels about George Tiller’s profession, his murderer is nothing more than a domestic terrorist — someone attempting to impose by force a policy that one cannot get in place through democratic means. Tiller’s killer is no better than William Ayers, Kathleen Soliah, and Eric Rudolph, people who attempted to use violence for their extremist ends. Those who value life know that murder is the antithesis of the pro-life movement.

Update: The suspect’s name is Scott Roeder. Circumstantial evidence suggests that the motive was indeed political.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

First off, condolences to the Tiller family. Regardless of everyone’s personal feelings about the actions of the man, this must be a truly difficult and sorrowful time for them.
Tiller was murdered, there’s no getting around that fact.

I depised what the man did for a living. But that is no justification for his murder. The third trimester abortions he performed are a disgrace to this nation. If anyone believes he only performed this procedure to protect the life of the mother, you’re a fool.

The man violated existing Kansas laws and should have been imprisoned for that, not murdered. But, the former Kansas governor and current HHS did what she could to prevent his receiving the justice he was due.

As for the murderer of Mr. Tiller, if your think you’re a martyr for the pro-life cause, you are mistaken. You too should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

jack herman on May 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Allahpundit

Read the Psalms.

fossten on May 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

jthibod on May 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I think you’ll find plenty of that indignation in other abortion threads on HA. This one murder is so against the spirit of the pro-life movement, and at the same time (unfortunately) has such implications for it, that it’s brought out the indignation you see. Doesn’t mean anyone here is condoning Tiller’s – I was going to say crimes, but sadly they were legal. Sins, then.

Rosmerta on May 31, 2009 at 10:46 PM

…impose by force a policy that one cannot get in place through democratic means.

A little correction for you Ed. Allowing abortion isn’t a policy that went into effect through democratic means. It was imposed in the most undemocratic (need I point out that we are a republic?) way possible in the good ol’ US of A. It was mandated by unelected justices that think their judgment is superior to those of the people, and indeed, those who are elected by the people to make policy.

mwdiver on May 31, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Thanks for, um, allowing us to talk about it…gosh…I hope we don’t say something to offend.

***

I have cried a lot about this event today. How senseless!!! How horrid! This isn’t justice. God’s justice is perfect and this man should have been left to God’s judgement when the state failed to mete out the proper hand for his (Tiller’s) crimes. For all the infants he murdered and I (and others) have sobbed over, it is the state which bears the greatest burden for not upholding what is true and right.

With that said, there will always be corrupt government systems and we must even still submit, as Christians. It isn’t fair or right but this murder harms those who work tirelessly for the cause of the unborn and that is one sad consequence of this crime.

Mommypundit on May 31, 2009 at 10:47 PM

And, Bill Ayers never targeted people. The bombs he set never harmed or killed anyone. This shooting is not in the same league as was Ayers did.

Tom_Shipley on May 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM

AP, as long as you are in a banning mood…

-DAve

Dave R. on May 31, 2009 at 10:47 PM

splink on May 31, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I was responding to Darth Executor in that comment.

Late Term abortion is not the law of the land as expressed by the will of the people it is the law of the land via the machinations of the men and women in black robes….

sven10077 on May 31, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I know, and I can’t stand that we as a country allowed for a kind of hermeneutic to flower within the Universities that asserted that meaning is found in the reader and not the intent of the author. It was there that we lost. Before a single baby was killed, before a judge ever said the word “machinations”. I blame the theologians of America for being asleep at the wheel as the deconstruction of epistemology, of language, and of morality moved at a rapid pace, with little intellectual fight against the tide. But we can’t do anything about that now, except to teach, to minister, to heal, and to persuade. We need to regain the idea of “meaning” and “knowledge” so that our justices will “know” that the Constitution does not allow for the killing of little children in the name of “privacy”.

Weight of Glory on May 31, 2009 at 10:47 PM

LOL, Blake:

You’re just having a bad day here, aren’t you, sweetie?

Swatted, dissed, and kicked to the curb!

atheling on May 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Not at all. But someone like you who is crazy enough to try to portray Tiller as worse than Hitler would be crazy enough to believe that. Seek help.

Blake on May 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I am conflicted.

I am relieved Tiller will not be able to kill any more of our children. I am sad this is because he was murdered.

Pavel on May 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM

What?

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Christians are scary.

Atheists are cool.

just my guess.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Guys — I’m about to turn in so I’m going to close comments lest trolls turn this thread into a sewer overnight. Thanks to everyone for an interesting (and civil) discussion. I’m sure there’ll be another Tiller thread tomorrow. Until then…

Allahpundit on May 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM