Blaming Obama for the night on Broadway?

posted at 11:00 am on May 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Date Night at the Morrissey residence tends towards the modest.  When the First Mate and I go out on the town, we usually have a quiet dinner and a movie in the local suburbs.  Occasionally, we’ll go into the city to see a show and try a more expensive restaurant as a treat, but when we do, we usually just drive ourselves and don’t take three Gulfstream jets to go there.  Our nation’s First Couple have a different style:

President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama landed in New York Saturday afternoon, and after taking a helicopter from JFK into Manhattan, drove up the West Side Highway, where the northbound lanes were shut down by police for their visit, past Ground Zero, into the Village for dinner at the Village’s Blue Hill restaurant. From there, they went north to Times Square, where they went to to see a production of “Joe Turner’s Come and Gone” at the Belasco Theater on West 44 Street.

Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest read a statement from Obama: “I am taking my wife to New York City because I promised her during the campaign that I would take her to a Broadway show after it was all finished.”

Asked about the cost of the trip, which Republicans have criticized as indulgent, coming just ahead of the expected announcement of GM’s bankruptcy filing on Monday, Josh Earnest told pool reporter Dave Michaels of the Dallas Morning News, that he “didn’t anticipate being able to provide a cost estimate tonight.” …

The president traveled in a smaller, Gulfstream-type plane rather than the larger planes typically used as Air Force One. Two other planes carried staff and reporters.

Sounds like a great night out on the town, Mr. President.  Glad we could pick up the tab for it. I guess the FM and I will have to skip a few Date Nights for ourselves to pay for all of that.

Presidents do go on vacation, of course, to get away from the pressures of the Beltway.  They go out for nights on the town, too.  Jazz Shaw, calling this Date Night a “dim move,” reminds us that Bush liked to move DC west every August:

If you didn’t complain – and do so loudly and often – about President Bush shattering all previous records for presidential vacation time in the midst of two wars that he began and various other crises, you should know how you look if you complain now. All those trips to Crawford and other destinations were on the public dime, involving Air Force One, staffers, supporting crew, etc. And they cost a fortune. If you take to the streets in manufactured outrage over this evening out, you are hypocrites, and there’s really no other way to put it.

Now, for the rest of our friends, if you were critical of President Bush for his vacationing ways, will you really just shrug your shoulders and say this is “no big deal” since it’s Obama going out on the town? The trip still involved three Gulfstream Jets, a large staff and press corps following, blocking off traffic for hours across several blocks in Manhattan on a Saturday afternoon and evening and a total taxpayer bill which the White House couldn’t even estimate for us. And it took place not only in the midst of two hot wars, but on the eve of GM likely going bankrupt and a rising unemployment rate where millions of Americans are wondering if they’ll be able to afford all their groceries next month. Could the optics of this Broadway fiasco possibly be any worse?

Why use Gulfstream planes at all?  Why not just use Air Force One, which would likely have kept at least one of the other planes on the ground, instead?  Perhaps the White House wanted to emphasize the non-official nature of the visit; I suspect they didn’t want AF1 to return to New York City’s skies so soon after the Scare Force One fiasco.  However, AF1 is built to keep the President in close touch with the government in times of crisis.  It exists for precisely that reason, and is meticulously maintained to ensure the safest possible flight.

But the real foolishness was the Gulfstream and helicopters for the media.  Are we to believe that the national news media has no reporters in New York City?  The BIg Apple isn’t exactly the Badlands of the Dakotas, or the remote peaks of the Rockies, in terms of media saturation.  It looks like Obama wanted to make this a media event and didn’t mind using three planeloads of taxpayer money to stage it.

And can anyone calculate the carbon footprint of three Gulfstream jets, three helicopters, and all the stalled traffic in New York City?  I’d say that it reaches Goracle-like levels.

As Gail Gitcho of the RNC asked, why not take Michelle out for a night at the Kennedy Center instead, where the President has a reserved seat and only needs to travel across DC?  I know he promised her a Broadway play, but I’m pretty sure he’d still have her vote in 2012.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9

April:

I am more than willing to admit that there are people on both extremes who are more than willing to do anything to get their way..I just do not think O’Reilley is one of them and what is more I think you would be surprised at how many people would have real qualms about late term abortion.

Terrye on May 31, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I also have qualms about late-term abortions and I also equally have qualms about those loons who take the law into their hands – Right or Left.

AprilOrit on May 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 6:37 PM

You are not being a nag, but there are many reasons I live like a hermit, and this is not the place to explain them all.

I’m sorry, but I won’t reassure you by lying. The longest I’ve gone without any human contact at all is over three months. Lately, I go for stretches of two days to a week. And, for the most part, most of the time, I am content.

I am on line a lot, even when I’m bot doing well. Late this past week, I opened a Google blog and wrote my first entry, but that blog is not public. I don’t know that it ever will be. It’s very personal.

I check my email every couple of days because of notices I receive that way. I have yet to receive a response from blatantblue from my latest attempt to provide him with a functioning yahoo email. But, if my computer does die, I promise that as soon as I can, I will go to a library and email him or another poster here with my status.

It is a great comfort that I am able to help people laugh or smile or think or gain some comfort at times. I don’t like causing worry or trouble. So, please be calm.

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

– Reinhold Niebuhr, The Serenity Prayer (c1942)

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM

maverick muse on May 31, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Heh. That’s been his only real job … ever.

progressoverpeace on May 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM

The Bush did it meme is way overdone. Bush worked out of Crawford,did not fly the media there and frequently hosted heads of state at the ranch.
In any event, setting Bush aside Obama is constantly calling on Americans for a shared sacrifice in this recession, the worst since the 1930.s remember? The President and First Lady,whomever they are, lead by example. Yet BO and MO are completely tone deaf to the real world of Americans who are unemployed, struggling to pay bills and watching their hard earned retirements seep away. I can’t wait to hear his statement on GM tomorrow and how we all have to suck it up. I despise this man, his tone, his methods and his policies. Lastly, why did he have to keep a campaign promise to MO when he hasn’t kept so many of his other campaign promises, you know, like transparency, not raising taxes, etc?

Willie on May 31, 2009 at 7:13 PM

April:

Yes, but that does not mean that we can blame people like O’Reilley for talking about the issue. People who tend to go off about something like this are pretty close to the edge.

Terrye on May 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Willie:

This is true.

Terrye on May 31, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Jazz Shaw’s diss of Bush’s vacations is deceptive. They were working vacations.

jgapinoy on May 31, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM

You do that well, and I am as appreciative as Cindy and all the others.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 7:17 PM

April:

Terrye on May 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Agreed, O’Reilly included, his coverage is sometimes over the top and pretty close to the edge.

AprilOrit on May 31, 2009 at 7:19 PM

July 7, Kansas: Scott Roeder is sentenced to sixteen months in state prison for parole violations following a 1996 conviction for having bomb components in his car trunk. Roeder, a sovereign citizen and tax protester, violated his parole by not filing tax returns or providing his social security number to his employer.

mankai on May 31, 2009 at 7:22 PM

OK, I do believe in abortion as the right of medical decision for any woman, at any stage. That should be between her, her family, her conscience, her doctor….

AnninCA on May 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM

For the record, I’m not suggesting murder, either.
But you left out one important person in the group above – the father of the child. No one is less involved in life/abortion decisions, and yet, if the decision is made (by others) to bring the child into the world, the father is apportioned part of the cost to raise the child.

massrighty on May 31, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Fair enough, I will be content with that. We all do enjoy your posts. I haven’t seen blantantblue posts since earlier today, I hope he is out being young and having fun. He has my email now also. Such a great young man, his family must be very proud of him.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Cindy, your really shouldn’t say things like that about blantantblue…his ego is already as big as the Atlantic! :-)

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Hey, Rev. Wright… have more chickens come home to roost? In case BOR is looking in to try and twist that comment… the point is this… Here was a man, that if we were allowed to see video of what he did, who would be vilified… yet STILL if anybody dare says his chickens have come home to roost… such a person would be rejected and not touted as a “wise uncle.”

mankai on May 31, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Oh boy. Okay, it is the area between where democrats put their heads and the tea bags.

HornetSting on May 31, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Holy cow! Why are we letting perverts pervert our language like this? Terrye, I’m with you. I didn’t know the meaning of “t.b.” either (as I understand it, it was widely known only in the gay community), so certainly couldn’t have guessed we’d be given an obscene label. I emailed somebody at one of the online journals for the same thing. Her excuse was the term is out there in general use. In other words, get used to it.

Maybe we should just acknowledge the joke (lame as it is) and take the word as our own. Sort of like homosexuals did with the word “gay.”

Dee2008 on May 31, 2009 at 7:29 PM

AprilOrit on May 31, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Quit playing around. Abortion is abortion late or early . Play mind games with yourself if it makes you sleep better but don’t sell that crap here. I am not buying.

CWforFreedom on May 31, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I won ! the one says and says and says.

Texyank on May 31, 2009 at 7:32 PM

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 7:25 PM

As my husband’s grandmother use to say, “It’s a poor dog that can’t wag it’s own tail”.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 7:32 PM

maverick muse on May 31, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I wasn’t joking. Even for people with family and friends, euthanasia is an increasingly acceptable practice for people who are terminally ill because it stops their “suffering.”

A simply change of the definition, and more and more “unimportant” people will qualify for this “humane” treatment. And with the resulting savings, the really important people will be able to support the arts by going to Broadway shows at the taxpayers’ expense.

As I’m living off my savings, I’m on a very tight budget, $3-5K per year. So, I have to avoid spending on anything that is not a necessity.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 7:33 PM

massrighty on May 31, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Right. And the MOST important person, the one with the MOST to lose, the child, gets no input at all. Who represents his or her point of view in this “decision.”

Dee2008 on May 31, 2009 at 7:33 PM

AprilOrit on May 31, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Keith Olbermann all but called our president the devil on his show and if President Bush had been assasinated, then would we blame Olbermann or would we blame the person that killed the president?
I am not defending BOR, serves him right for being a pompous ass earlier this week, but I can’t see that we blame him for this killing of Tiller.

HornetSting on May 31, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Dee2008 on May 31, 2009 at 7:33 PM

You’re right of course; I’d never argue otherwise; I was just putting my oar in for the dads. I’m tired of the list of who’s invested in the decision not including them.

massrighty on May 31, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Dee2008 on May 31, 2009 at 7:29 PM

It is what it is, ladies. I didn’t make up the word. I, do, remember MSNBC anchors talking about a tainted record of some person, an obama appointee probably, and they were using the word ‘taint’ a lot and this blog went crazy making fun of it.
Dirty birds, the lot of you!

HornetSting on May 31, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 7:32 PM

She was a wise woman!

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 7:32 PM

And what would your husband’s grandmother say about you wagging some young dog’s tail for him?

I hope your husband isn’t reading this!

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 7:42 PM

HornetSting on May 31, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I agree. That is just more of the liberal passive agressive – “it’s all his fault”. Bunk. It’s the fault of the one who pulled the trigger. Period.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 7:43 PM

The people who were all over Sarah Palin’s $150k donated wardrobe will get back to you on that.

Nice try, everyone. But the thread is not about Palin. Try to stay focused

Fed45 on May 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Ego is the size of the pacific
Thank you.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Ego is the size of the pacific
Thank you.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM

So sorry. I misspoke.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 7:42 PM

He’s not. I am sure he would be fine with me acknowledging a nice young man since he doesn’t believe they exist for the most part. That said, although I seldom post on Megan McCain threads, I do read them. That last one was Boy’s Night Out. I can’t chastise though because I laughed.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 7:55 PM

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Get my latest attempt to give you a functioning email?

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Yes I got your email lox.

I will store it for future contingencies

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I heard on Fox that Obama offered to chip in the cost of two first class air tickets and to pay for their hotel.

The price of two RT First Class commercial airline tickets and their hotel doesn’t even make a dent. To come even close he would have to offer to pay the rental fee for a couple hours of a Gulfstream. Which runs anywhere from $8500-$10,000/hr.

Fed45 on May 31, 2009 at 8:07 PM

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:04 PM

It would ease my mind if you tested it. But, if you don’t want me having your email address, I can understand. I’m also reluctant to circulate mine. I need a Mac upgrade so I can install better protective software. My email has been spammed too many times, and God knows what else my computer has picked up by mistakenly clicking bad links.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I wonder if the Secret Service are choked up about this normal guy routine the president is doing? I guess it is not harder than a big a rally with thousands of people.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Yes buy a mac lox.

I did four years ago. Never looked back.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:15 PM

CWforFreedom on May 31, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Most American’s attitudes toward the act change based on the stage of the pregnancy.

With today’s voters and technology there is no way to legislate legal protection from the point of conception. There might be a consensus and some means to enforce the protection from the point of viability.

dedalus on May 31, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Thanks for the compliment cindy

My ego is very large right now.

It’s making me cry

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Your attempt to restore the focus on this thread to the blogged title is admirable, but clearly unsuccessful.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Cindy munford

Don’t listen to the peanut gallery.

Quite a loquacious and rude bunch

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:24 PM

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I have a Mac. I just don’t have the latest system upgrade.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I hate these people…yeah I said the ‘h’ word…sue me!

AUINSC on May 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM

I see

Is it osx tiger

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Okay, the reason people are hijacking the thread is that the abortion story is obviously huge, it fills nearly the entire main page of memeorandum.

The absence of a thread on Hot Air is pretty conspicuous.

I have no doubt there are sound reasons for banning the topic, I’m just explaining why people who are talking about this obviously major story in this thread.

jeff_from_mpls on May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Don’t worry, it was a token attempt. Exactly how long did they think we could write about that considering the other news of the day. And I went out for several hours. Oh and totally off thread I hope I have learned not to buy bedding that won’t fit in my own washing machine. It’s not that laundry mats are bad but what a waste of time.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM

I love that, Lox. I never realized there was more to the Serenity Prayer than the first part.

Take care of yourself and don’t get too isolated – I know from experience it leads to depression. Well, for me it does.

Rosmerta on May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Maybe he meant ruining the U.S. economy.

aero on May 31, 2009 at 6:48 PM

How do you ruin something that is already for shit?

Monkei on May 31, 2009 at 6:51 PM

By quadrupling the shittiness. We could still have recovered from Bush’s “largest deficit ever,” as insane as it was. Obama’s first deficit will be FOUR TIMES Bush’s biggest deficit. Impossible to recover from, and clearly a direct result of Obama’s decisions and policies. And that’s before Obamacare kicks in and the expiration of the tax cuts kills the goose. Bush did tremendous damage to the economy that would have been difficult but not impossible to reverse. Obama has ruined it beyond conceivable recovery. This isn’t partisan sniping. It’s the unalterable facts.

aero on May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Don’t get me started in laudromats…my dryer “died” last fall (well, the heating element died) right in the middle of laundry day and I had to take two loads of wet clothes and 3 loads that needed to get started…not a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:32 PM

jeff_from_mpls on May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I would rather think that the monitors of the blog are unavailable for the kind of rigorous viewing that they think that thread would require. I think for the most part it has been a respectful discussion but maybe if it was actually a thread about the death, it would get out of hand. There will always be several people who just can’t help themselves and stupid will spill all over the place.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Did you just call me the peanut gallery?

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Did you just call me the peanut gallery?

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Ya.

What do you plan on doing about it?

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM

How’s the cold?

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Still gutless, Ed?
Charles Johnson is dishing the 411.
Operation Rescue tie.

[Ed replies: No, you worthless hack, I've been gone all day with my family. It is, after all, a Sunday. I just got back, and we've posted a thread on it.]

strangelet on May 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM

How’s the cold?

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Still there, but better — thanks.

Not as bad as the women that came into the store today with t*ts that looked like the bottoms of burned pizza pies.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Ya.

What do you plan on doing about it?

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Attention whore.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM

HornetSting on May 31, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Nah, most people would be saying “Olber who?”

ddrintn on May 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Attention whore.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Well, not much of a whore when I don’t have to go out and actively seek it :]

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Nah, most people would be saying “Olber who?”

ddrintn on May 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Olberbarf

Olberbastard

Olberb*tch

Olberpuke

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I don’t know how you can live with yourself after performing abortions.

Specifically partial birth

I just
I can’t wrap my head around it.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:49 PM

If Tiller was whacked for reasons of convenience and empowerment then the Left should have no problem with it. After all the killer’s decision was Pro-Choice.

viking01 on May 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM

hahahaha

toasted.
;)

strangelet on May 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Not really:

“Those men and women who slaughter the unborn are murderers according
to the Law of God. We must continue to expose them in our communities and
peacefully protest them at their offices and homes, and yes, even their
churches.”

Change the words around a little, and you have what the typical moonbat says about the military or the CIA.

Toasted.

ddrintn on May 31, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Well, not much of a whore when I don’t have to go out and actively seek it :]

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Doesn’t matter if you go out and seek it or not…

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Obama’s crime is letting his wife wear that ugly, ugly, flapper dress.

TimothyJ on May 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Doesn’t matter if you go out and seek it or not…

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Surely you are kidding!

Whores actively seek bidnizz!

They wouldn’t be whores if they didn’t!

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Is it osx tiger
blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Nope> It’s osx Leopard, tiger.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Nope> It’s osx Leopard, tiger.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

LUCKY
I want Leopard

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Surely you are kidding!

Whores actively seek bidnizz!

They wouldn’t be whores if they didn’t!

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Oh, honey, you actively seek attention….

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Oh, honey, you actively seek attention….

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Please
You need a reality check, lady.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Please
You need a reality check, lady.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Well then everyone at HA needs the same reality check, college boy…

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Selective faux outrage strikes again. Where were the tears when Bush would live high on the hog, Laura and the girls would get couture Oscar de la Renta gowns made, or all the vacations they took? Presidents do this — every one of them. Being angry at something so petty is transparent political-points seeking at its best. Next!

dcwvu on May 31, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Well then everyone at HA needs the same reality check, college boy…

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Haters can hate all they want!

Including you!

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Well, what about Michell’s terrible taste in clothing?

Have we delved deep enough into that angle?

That bracelet! Normally, you’d have to go out of your way to buy something that tacky.

And the shoes and didn’t coordinate with the rest of her outfit.

And did you get a good gander at those black drapes she called a dress? With all the rows of fringe?

She looked like a horse drawing a funeral hearse.

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Haters can hate all they want!

Including you!

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:12 PM

You really need to cut back on that cold medicine.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Including you!

steamingredhot on May 31, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Does its tummy hurt and has a temperature?

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM

You really need to cut back on that cold medicine.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Haven’t taken a drop of any! If I can avoid consuming medicine, I do

Loxodonta on May 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM

That’s enough from you!

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Haven’t taken a drop of any! If I can avoid consuming medicine, I do

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Well stop consuming whatever it is you’re consuming…

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Incidentally, I’ve already run into my first first-hand encounter with–believe it or not–a Blame Bush response to this brazen display of taxpayer-funded hubris: “Where were you complaining all those times Bush flew down to Crawford?”

Apparently, working vacations when the economy is strong and extravagant nights of self-indulgence at taxpayer expense when the economy is on the verge of collapse, while the President is telling (everybody but himself, apparently) that we must all be ready to “sacrifice,” are now considered equivalent.

Either way, so much for “change.” At least for the better.

Blacklake on May 31, 2009 at 9:23 PM

You know the President actually pays for a lot of things by himself? Hotel rooms, food, show tickets, clothes. Presidents in the past have even paid for jet fuel and staff services aboard Air Force One.

He probably doesn’t pay for security and transportation related to security – and to blame the President for that, is ridiculous, in fact it’s stupid.

PresidenToor on May 31, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Well stop consuming whatever it is you’re consuming…

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I just look at myself in the mirror and get dizzy

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I just look at myself in the mirror and get dizzy

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:24 PM

That purty, huh?

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:28 PM

That purty, huh?

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:28 PM

That statement could either way!~
Dizzifyingly ugly
or purty

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM

dcwvu on May 31, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Yes, yes, it’s all Bush’s fault. The only thing you’ve cited that involved taxpayer expense were the migrations to Crawford. I wouldn’t begrudge Obama, after some time in office, a working retreat, either. However, when all these supposedly equivalent Bush “crimes” you bring up took place, the economy was in good shape and tax burdens were eased. Today, the government is engaged in an orgy of Statist spending that threatens to, literally, destroy the economic future of every non-megarich American, with Obama in command, and urging us all to prepare to “sacrifice.”

Never mind spending what I’m confident will prove to be in excess of $100,000 dollars in Secret Service and USAF resources for a jet-setting night on the town. Have you ever heard of leading by example? If Obama is sending a message, it is indeed a traditional political one: The political elite are entitled to priveleges with which the peasantry need not concern themselves. Let them eat cake.

Blacklake on May 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM

PresidenToor on May 31, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Except, he could’ve just stayed in DC for his evening of leisure, hence sparing you and me the bill for even those expenses in a time of economic hardship and crisis. So, it seems taking him to task for that is neither ridiculous nor stupid. It’s asking him to exhibit leadership rather than self-indulgence. I realize that, in this case, that may be a lot to ask.

Blacklake on May 31, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I just logged on and read a few comments about O’Reilly and some posters who think he should be blamed, directly or indirectly re: the killing of Tiller.

Are those posters trolls? Why in the world would we throw O’Reilly to the Left to help the Left convict ALL CONSERVATIVES of the Tiller murder?? Have we no sense of self preservation?

By the way, Tiller killed babies up through their due date by injecting a drug into their little beating hearts, causing their little beating hearts to stop – forever.

TILLER WAS A BABY KILLER AND I SALUTE BILL O’REILLY FOR PROCLAIMING THAT TRUTH LOUDLY AND OFTEN. HE SPOKE FOR THE LITTLE ONES WHO WERE DEFENSELESS. WE SHOULD DO NOTHING BUT DEFEND O’REILLY IN THIS MATTER. IN DOING SO WE DEFEND OURSELVES AND DO NOT GIVE ONE INCH OF GROUND ON THE FACTS REGARDING GEORGE TILLERS “PROFESSION”.

AT THE SAME TIME, WE DO NOT IN ANY WAY CONDONE TILLER’S MURDER.

tigerlily on May 31, 2009 at 9:35 PM

That definitely needs to be refuted by pro-lifers.

AnninCA on May 31, 2009 at 1:37 PM

“Oh look over there, hateful Republicans who want to hurt the abortion doctors.”

You’re an ass. Saying that pro-lifers support bombing abortion clinics is like saying John Wayne Gacy was representative of the democratic party. I’m sure asserting that would offend you.

I’m a pro-lifer. I think the clinics are baby death mills. But no one I know who feels the way I do thinks that justifies hurting someone else. This is the classic liberal strawman.

I’m a Conservative. I couldn’t possibly just care about babies. I must be a murdering monster who wnats to control women. All the while scandals and the absolute decline of humanity abound in your precious clinics.

I think the good Lord has plenty in store for them without me pitching in.

hawkdriver on May 31, 2009 at 9:37 PM

That statement could either way!~
Dizzifyingly ugly
or purty

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM

My money’s on purty.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I think the good Lord has plenty in store for them without me pitching in.

hawkdriver on May 31, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I agree! Stay safe hawk.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Blacklake on May 31, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Right the President isn’t a human being and never take trips up to NY or any place else, because his security costs too much due to the fact that people who likely make up the “conservative base” want him dead or likewise the nuttards on the left think he’s still a monstor or some nonesense.

Why travel across town in DC? Why should we have to pay for his gas? That thing he drives in gets like 10mpg anyways. In a time of “economic hardship” the President should sit at home in the White House where the American people don’t have to pay for his traveling security. For that matter get rid of the Honor Guard too, all they do is stand there afterall – while we pay for them.

Really? Get a life, all of you.

PresidenToor on May 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Stay safe hawk.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM

i second!

PresidenToor on May 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Get a life?

Tell Obama to stop droning on about how Americans will “have to sacrifice,” “make tough choices,” and blah blah blah.

Then people won’t make so much noise.

Tell him to stop spending this country into a coffin.

Then people wouldn’t make so much noise.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:45 PM

hawkdriver on May 31, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Well said, hawkdriver.

Let’s also remember that since 1973, the USA has had casualties of FORTY MILLION SOULS, compliments of George Tiller and his ilk. This wholesale slaughter is institutionalized sin, welded into all three branches of government and the 40,000,000 number is so staggering that it cannot be comprehended, thus, it is swept under the rug while lesser atrocities are re-run endlessly, such as pre-civil war slavery and racist crimes, which are institutionally illegal in all three branches of government are still spoken of as if we lived in a pre-civil rights nation.

tigerlily on May 31, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Then people won’t make so much noise.

Tell him to stop spending this country into a coffin.

Then people wouldn’t make so much noise.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:45 PM

It’s hypocritical for Obama to tell the auto execs that they can’t go to Vegas “on the tax payer dime” and then he does the very same thing for a fundraiser for Harry Reid!

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 9:49 PM

And we shouldn’t be mad about it…
heh

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:53 PM

And sad to say, I think the logical outgrowth of the acceptance since 1973 of the institutionlized murder of an entire class of Americans in such unbelievable numbers has caused such rot to set in that the emergence and acceptance by so many of an evil creature-pretender like Obama as our PRESIDENT, shows that we are truly headed for a cliff…if we are not already catching big air….

tigerlily on May 31, 2009 at 9:55 PM

P.S. Maybe I should be posting on the tiller thread. Sorry.

tigerlily on May 31, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Arrogant, phoney royalty with everyone from the media on their knees in front of him. It makes me sick.

I was reading the Domesbury cartoon in the Stars and Stripes today and Gary Trudeau is perplexed because he can’t think of an icon to represent him like he does for Republicans.

Hints Gary…

Anyone else?

hawkdriver on May 31, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Nose in the air!

Susanboo on May 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM

girly-like pursed lips!

tigerlily on May 31, 2009 at 10:06 PM

And we shouldn’t be mad about it…
heh

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Of course not, darlin’, that would be absurd.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Hints Gary…

1. Ears.
2. Teleprompter.
3. A Koran.
4. A middle finger.

Anyone else?

hawkdriver on May 31, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Nose in the air!

Susanboo on May 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM

girly-like pursed lips!

tigerlily on May 31, 2009 at 10:06 PM

a mirror?

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Of course not, darlin’, that would be absurd.

ladyingray on May 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM

go on fb silly

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 10:11 PM

It would be more appropriate given the current economic situation to not do things like this.

I remember BOR going on and on about how The One showed empathy for the average American than McCain did. Personally, I never saw that…and of course still don’t.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2009 at 10:14 PM