Blaming Obama for the night on Broadway?

posted at 11:00 am on May 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Date Night at the Morrissey residence tends towards the modest.  When the First Mate and I go out on the town, we usually have a quiet dinner and a movie in the local suburbs.  Occasionally, we’ll go into the city to see a show and try a more expensive restaurant as a treat, but when we do, we usually just drive ourselves and don’t take three Gulfstream jets to go there.  Our nation’s First Couple have a different style:

President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama landed in New York Saturday afternoon, and after taking a helicopter from JFK into Manhattan, drove up the West Side Highway, where the northbound lanes were shut down by police for their visit, past Ground Zero, into the Village for dinner at the Village’s Blue Hill restaurant. From there, they went north to Times Square, where they went to to see a production of “Joe Turner’s Come and Gone” at the Belasco Theater on West 44 Street.

Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest read a statement from Obama: “I am taking my wife to New York City because I promised her during the campaign that I would take her to a Broadway show after it was all finished.”

Asked about the cost of the trip, which Republicans have criticized as indulgent, coming just ahead of the expected announcement of GM’s bankruptcy filing on Monday, Josh Earnest told pool reporter Dave Michaels of the Dallas Morning News, that he “didn’t anticipate being able to provide a cost estimate tonight.” …

The president traveled in a smaller, Gulfstream-type plane rather than the larger planes typically used as Air Force One. Two other planes carried staff and reporters.

Sounds like a great night out on the town, Mr. President.  Glad we could pick up the tab for it. I guess the FM and I will have to skip a few Date Nights for ourselves to pay for all of that.

Presidents do go on vacation, of course, to get away from the pressures of the Beltway.  They go out for nights on the town, too.  Jazz Shaw, calling this Date Night a “dim move,” reminds us that Bush liked to move DC west every August:

If you didn’t complain – and do so loudly and often – about President Bush shattering all previous records for presidential vacation time in the midst of two wars that he began and various other crises, you should know how you look if you complain now. All those trips to Crawford and other destinations were on the public dime, involving Air Force One, staffers, supporting crew, etc. And they cost a fortune. If you take to the streets in manufactured outrage over this evening out, you are hypocrites, and there’s really no other way to put it.

Now, for the rest of our friends, if you were critical of President Bush for his vacationing ways, will you really just shrug your shoulders and say this is “no big deal” since it’s Obama going out on the town? The trip still involved three Gulfstream Jets, a large staff and press corps following, blocking off traffic for hours across several blocks in Manhattan on a Saturday afternoon and evening and a total taxpayer bill which the White House couldn’t even estimate for us. And it took place not only in the midst of two hot wars, but on the eve of GM likely going bankrupt and a rising unemployment rate where millions of Americans are wondering if they’ll be able to afford all their groceries next month. Could the optics of this Broadway fiasco possibly be any worse?

Why use Gulfstream planes at all?  Why not just use Air Force One, which would likely have kept at least one of the other planes on the ground, instead?  Perhaps the White House wanted to emphasize the non-official nature of the visit; I suspect they didn’t want AF1 to return to New York City’s skies so soon after the Scare Force One fiasco.  However, AF1 is built to keep the President in close touch with the government in times of crisis.  It exists for precisely that reason, and is meticulously maintained to ensure the safest possible flight.

But the real foolishness was the Gulfstream and helicopters for the media.  Are we to believe that the national news media has no reporters in New York City?  The BIg Apple isn’t exactly the Badlands of the Dakotas, or the remote peaks of the Rockies, in terms of media saturation.  It looks like Obama wanted to make this a media event and didn’t mind using three planeloads of taxpayer money to stage it.

And can anyone calculate the carbon footprint of three Gulfstream jets, three helicopters, and all the stalled traffic in New York City?  I’d say that it reaches Goracle-like levels.

As Gail Gitcho of the RNC asked, why not take Michelle out for a night at the Kennedy Center instead, where the President has a reserved seat and only needs to travel across DC?  I know he promised her a Broadway play, but I’m pretty sure he’d still have her vote in 2012.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

Of course all those damned rich people need to be socked hard but this community organizer gets to enjoy the perks. Such is socialism!

promachus on May 31, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Hypocrite!

There will be no “sacrifice” from the DEM elites.

clnurnberg on May 31, 2009 at 11:06 AM

“We all must sacrifice” – BHO, Feb. 2009

sherry on May 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Why not take AMTRAK?

Queen0fCups on May 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Second look at Marie Antoinette.

Marcus on May 31, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I think that rather gracefully and optimistically assumes the President in this instance is applying himself sufficiently to feel pressure.

apostic on May 31, 2009 at 11:09 AM

What I learned from this is that Thunderbutt should only allow herself to be photographed wearning black against pitch black backgrounds.

Or better yet, do not allow photographs at all.

notagool on May 31, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Well, at least he didn’t go to Vegas to see a show.

Zaire67 on May 31, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Who cares what the carbon footprint was? If we continue to START discussions related to eco-hypocrisy, it begins to look like we think it’s a big deal too, and thus, we are the bigger hypocrites. These moments should only be mentioned when the left starts harping on the carbon footprint bologna, and then it should be shouted from the mountain tops.

As for me, I don’t begrudge the guy a night out with his wife, and I don’t begrudge the guy of the use of multiple jets to do it. Who cares? The only consideration is the taxpayer dollars that were used to fund it, but I think we’ll all agree that the President of the United States (not this one in particular, but generally speaking, whomever the occupant of the office is) is woefully underpaid for the amount of work he does and the associated stresses and dangers that come with the task.

Kevin from Ohio in V on May 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Do as I say and not as I do.

We finally have one kept campaign promise from this jerk.

cobrakai99 on May 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

But the real foolishness was the Gulfstream and helicopters for the media. Are we to believe that the national news media has no reporters in New York City?

Are we to believe that intense media coverage of dinner at a restaurant and an evening at the theater merit this kind of attention at all, let alone on the tax payer’s dime?

ProfessorMiao on May 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, this “date night” was a complete waste of money. It’s ridiculous.

And ordinarily, I’d shrug and say “whatever” but the fact is that if it was George Bush taking 3 Gulfstream airplanes, blocking traffic in New York City, and in general wasting money and environmental cred all in the name of a date with Laura, Daily Kos and the like would be having a conniption.

I guess rules are different when it’s the ONE.

And Number Two, if there’s any doubt who wears the pants in that marriage, here’s proof. If any guy I know who is married made a promise, then said, “oh sorry, honey, we can’t do it. Money’s a little tight.” Their wife would just shrug and say okay. I suspect Michelle would have pitched a fit.

mjk on May 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I’d like to know who’s paying for Michelle’s dresses.

promachus on May 31, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Evidently, the liberal doesn’t come with feet, therefore they can’t leave a Carbon Footprint. It would be impossible.

Only evil white guys and anyone a little bit conservative leaves these awful Carbon Footprints.

benrand on May 31, 2009 at 11:11 AM

This is telling is it not?

So we can conclude that he views the American taxpayer money as his.

Jamewah on May 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM

This is what liberalism does tho.

The ruling class gets to do what it wants

The rest of us lose our jobs, retirement, and become poor.

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Typical.

Do as I say, not as I do.

I am getting very weary of his preaching to the masses about belt-tightening, going green and saving the world, then arrogantly doing whatever His Royal Highness and her Highness wants to do.

He can put MY carbon footprint where the sun doesn’t shine.

tru2tx on May 31, 2009 at 11:14 AM

It isn’t just the three Gulfstreams, all those vehicles for the motorcade get airlifted to NYC as well. And don’t forget the backup helicopters and cars.

I don’t begrudge the president his vacation or a night away from the office, and I certainly don’t begrudge him official visits around the country, but he is a solid gold hypocrite. He tells the rest of us we are going to have to sacrifice while we recover — and then turns around and spends our money for a “date night” in NYC.

Putz.

johnsteele on May 31, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Playa Playa.

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Playa Playa.

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM

DON’ HATE DA PLAYA, HATE DA GAME

blatantblue on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

From Wikipedia with one change (in bold):

An Oligarchy (Greek Ὀλιγαρχία, Oligarkhía) is a form of government where power effectively rests with a small elite segment of society distinguished by royal, wealth, family, military or religious hegemony.

Some examples include Vaishali, the First French Republic government under the Directory, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (only the nobility could vote). A modern example of oligarchy could be seen in the United States under the Obama administration.

Daggett on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Not even counting the overally costliness, just the inconvenience to wherever town or city a president visits, because of the massive security perimeters, is a good reason to limit jaunts of this nature.

It was a terrible cross to bear when the Clintons visited Hollywoodland so often. Even those who hated Bush were grateful he visited seldomly. Freeways were completly blocked in both directions and there was no option but to just sit in idling cars.

Presidential visits shut down traffic almost completely.
Convience for thee, but not for me. What’s new?

marybel on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I don’t recall ever hearing about the Bush’s going out on dates like this.

moonsbreath on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Obama and the first lady are Black. That changes everything. They deserve nights out like this on the white man’s dime. Because their great grandparents could have been slaves.
It would be kinda funny if they painted the white house black.

bridgetown on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

In the middle of the “worst economic crisis since the Great Depression”…

Khun Joe on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

seem to remember a fully functional President Bush at the Crawford ranch, complete with security briefings, communications and the sacred football. Wonder if PO took his office to Broadway.

eaglesdontflock on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Playa Playa.

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Before this gets bashed for sounding racist, it was a reference to his apparent need for the jets to fly his entourage in.

/Biggie Smalls was right: “Mo’ Money, Mo’ Problems”

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

……….

Going to NYC for dinner and theater for one day is a vacation?

Where are the enviro critics?

Oh, right!

artist on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

“We all must sacrifice” – BHO, Feb. 2009

sherry on May 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Translation: You all must sacrifice so I don’t have to.

Daggett on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Does Obama know how much a gallon of milk is?

What?

Oh, right. He’ll NEVER be asked.

artist on May 31, 2009 at 11:18 AM

artist on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

STFU.

We weren’t in a recession then, moron.

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Sounds like the premise of the next ‘Reality Show’ – “Hussein in the Wild”

SeniorD on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Obama and the first lady are Black. That changes everything.

bridgetown on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

This is so true. He can get away with almost anything because he’s an “historic” black president. I wonder how long he can ride the race card gravy train? Probably indefinitely.

Daggett on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Does Obama know how much a gallon of milk is?

What?

Oh, right. He’ll NEVER be asked.

artist on May 31, 2009 at 11:18 AM

What? Does Obama know how to staff an administration?

What?

/uradipshit

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Meh. This doesn’t really peg the outrageometer for me. Call it an “Obamateurism” and move on. The fact is that the taxpayers are going to be footing the bill for Obama’s personal travel for the rest of his life. Or did everyone forget that he’s going to have Secret Service protection even after he leaves office?

Push this type of grumbling too far and the next thing you know people are wondering why Ronald Reagan’s remains got two last trips on Air Force One from California to DC and back. It’s the cost of having a President.

Dukeboy01 on May 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Obviously, you have never seen Michelle O angry.

Joe Caps on May 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I Won

Wade on May 31, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Gee Barry – couldn’t you have done this sometime between November and January 20???

And of course, everything BHO does is a big-time media event: can’t leave all those drooling sycophants on the DC tarmac, can you?

rockbend on May 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Well, at least he didn’t go to Vegas to see a show.

Zaire67 on May 31, 2009 at 11:09 AM

He’s not welcome there last I heard.

Knucklehead on May 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Kevin from Ohio in V on May 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

He wanted the job. Wanted it badly enough to lie for it. The presidential salary was not a consideration. He’s now set for life and the outward trappings of power are a fine offset for the stress of office.

a capella on May 31, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Just keep repeating the same crap over and over…

There is a reason why Bush brought all that staff with him to Crawford, because he was still working, FFS.

It’s so incredible, Obama is actually doing all of the things that the left pretended Bush was doing, yet Bush took more heat for doing things he wasn’t doing than Obama is for things he is doing.

Sounds confusing, doesn’t it, what a bizarre world we live in.

reaganaut on May 31, 2009 at 11:26 AM

It’s expensive to maintain a cult of personality.

Rebar on May 31, 2009 at 11:26 AM

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

You might be misreading me.

artist on May 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Let’s just be grateful that Barry didn’t promise Michelle he would buy her a dozen Faberge eggs when the camapign was over. That might have put us in the red. Oh, never mind, we’re already out of money. …Funny how the only campaign promises Barry seems to be keeping are the ones he directly benefits from.

Tiberius2 on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 AM

West Side Highway is bad enough on any given day…glad I wasn’t on it then!

I’m just so happy Hopey Changey and Mrs. Changey can jet-set to Manhattan and wine and dine themselves during this financial crisis. As Bill Clinton might say, he “feels our pain”…

JetBoy on May 31, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Can’t really blame Obama for living large. He only has 1330 days left. Then he will have to finally get a real job…and have to spend his own money. Michelle can’t be very happy with that prospect.

coldwarrior on May 31, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Why not just use Air Force One

Air Force One is a call sign, not an aircraft. Most people refer to the B747 as AF1. What ever USAF aircraft he is in is AF1. Army helicopter is Army One or Marine Helicopter is Marine One. If the VP is in a USAF aircraft, that aircrafts call sign is Air Force Two.

Mike Morrissey on May 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Obama really likes to make New York City his personal playpen and show them who’s boss. First the terrorizing “photo op” now this. I don’t see anything even remotely analagous between this extremely indulgent First Couple “date” and the Bush travels to the “Western White House”. Not even a teensy bit.

KittyLowrey on May 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Lying Hypocrite. But, alas, he won and we lose.

Jvette on May 31, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I hope thay had fun with the money that could have been used to make me permenent at my workplace, but I’m just a little nobody and a Republican. No, better I get laid off Friday so that they can catch a show.

Sekhmet on May 31, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Then he will have to finally get a real job

I don’t think he has to worry about that.

He can “write” 50 more books.

Plus, I’m sure he will set the all time record for money received by an ex-president, giving speeches.

reaganaut on May 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Yes. It is hypocritical. Obama has acknowledged that his policies are bad for the economy, but he must enact them anyway, and Americans must bear the costs for “the greater good.” Except, Obama and his family are apparently exempt from this shared sacrifice.

bitsy on May 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Has anyone analyzed the economic impact of millions of Obamatrons bowing down toward Washington 5 times a day?

Just asking…

TheCulturalist on May 31, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Let them eat Arugula?

Dreadnought223 on May 31, 2009 at 11:37 AM

The circus has come to town…Wow even Broadway likes a circus….Okay okay…He was just clowning around.

rich801 on May 31, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Jazz Shaw is right about one thing. GWB did spend money moving people and equipment to Crawford.

However, GWB did it for prolonged working vacations.

Obama blew into town for a quick night of frivolity.

If Jazz Shaw can’t distinguish between the two, it lowers my estimation of him. Wait, never mind. That’s not possible….
__________

RJGatorEsq. on May 31, 2009 at 11:40 AM

He’s in the White House…with the best chefs, movie theater, own park, etc… I’d never leave.

It’s good to be the King.

Wyznowski on May 31, 2009 at 11:40 AM

“Obama and the first lady are Black. That changes everything.

bridgetown on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Daggett on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM”

BINGO!!!

LtE126 on May 31, 2009 at 11:40 AM

And the media plays right along with the Obama line. The AP headline on the story I read this morning:

First Couple’s NY date: A campaign promise kept.

It’s a heartwarming story about how the Obama’s were cheered by bystanders on the “blockaded” streets and how cabbies strained to get a glimpse of the Golden Couple.

Oh, and those party poopers at the RNC who complained about the cost “even before the smaller jet left Washington”.

Cripes.

Jaynie59 on May 31, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.

Ugly on May 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Oh and that was a BO quote.

Ugly on May 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM

This type of article brings out personal insults. That’s OK by me, but I wonder why the defensiveness then?

It’s obvious what the motivation is.

AnninCA on May 31, 2009 at 11:44 AM

It would be kinda funny if they painted the white house black.

bridgetown on May 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Probable racist statement aside, physical properties prove that one color absorbs heat, while the other reflects. Draw your own conclusions.

Rovin on May 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Let them eat cake.

Cicero43 on May 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

“Them’s some birthin’ hips” as Grandma used to say.

MarkABinVA on May 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

If Bush had done this, the left would be having a collective conniption.

-Dave

Dave R. on May 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM

The REAL big story is told in the picture.

Obama is cheating on his wife with Lt. Worf.

Daggett on May 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I think he did it just to prove Jim Geraghty’s line that “All of Barack Obama’s promises come with an expiration date,” was false.

jon1979 on May 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Bush didn’t do that while at the same time insisting at every turn that we need to completely change our society because of the phantom menace of global warming. As usual, Jazz is sloppy and discordant.

Jim Treacher on May 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM

bluelightbrigade on May 31, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I think you’ll find that you mis-read artist on May 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM. Artist was quoting an excerpt from Ed’s piece and responding to it. Artist’s response was perfectly reasonable.

obladioblada on May 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Dukeboy01 on May 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM

One off. The man was dead after all. It’s not a weekly occurrence.

ddrintn on May 31, 2009 at 11:52 AM

When TOTUS needs “Me Time,” TOTUS gets Me Time.

Christien on May 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Let them eat cake.

Cicero43 on May 31, 2009 at 11:45 AM

As I said “Let the eat Arugula”.

Dreadnought223 on May 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Why would taxpayers being picking up the tab for the news media on this one (or any others)? As Ed said, it’s not like there is a lack of available news staff in New York. Narcissism should not be taxpayer-funded.

michaelo on May 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Wait, I’m sorry, but Bush vacationed at his own home. Soemthing tells me this will be quit the savings over all the penthouse suites at Waikiki Ritz Carlton we’ll be paying for.

Another point, since they have been in the WH it seems like every other night is date night or party night or burger/gold day.

Nice living.

Topsecretk9 on May 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Peeeeeeeeple!

Remember, this is Camelot redeux(on steroids). This is about keeping Barry and Bride on the cover of People and on the screens at ET and Inside Edition. His perpetual campaign depends on keeping enquiring minds informed of his fashion sense, workout schedule, and pet grooming tips.

That is the payoff. Establishments everywhere will be able to put ‘Barry parked his butt here’ plaques on the furniture. Business will soar.

Limerick on May 31, 2009 at 11:58 AM

“I promised her during the campaign that I would take her to a Broadway show after it was all finished.”

Over was November 8, Over was between then and January 21.

Or did he really mean “If I win, I’ll take Air Force one, and whatever else we want to use, and we’ll go to NYC to see a show……..that would be freakin AWESOME”

Good to see that he is a man of his word

Dpet on May 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM

It was only a week ago BO told us, “We’re out of money.”

He and Michelle must have Craigslisted some things to pay for this.

selias on May 31, 2009 at 12:05 PM

A year from now, if we’re still mired in a economic slump, he won’t be able to pull this off.

Yeah, the frauds at MSNBC will defend him; but the public won’t go for it.

SteveMG on May 31, 2009 at 12:05 PM

It occurs to me the Won thinks he is truly royalty.

jukin on May 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Shpadoinkle!

Ugly on May 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

One day historians will say that the blatant overt hypocrisy (on top of the corruption and loss of freedom) was what exacerbated the crisis in legitimacy that caused the final rupture.

elduende on May 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Ugly on May 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM

That quote has always reminded me of something Morpheus or Neo would have said in one of the Matrix movies. Which brings me to an O/T about the cultism about Obama.

I go to a Bar/Grille here in Manassas (Northern Virginia) about once a week after work. There’s always this one black biker type in there and he always has some Obama T-shirt on. Every.single.time. Some of them are quite awesomely satirical to me. I don’t think he even sees it. I wish I could find some links to pictures but, I can’t. Just think a Matrix T-shirt with O as Neo, Powell as Morpheus, Michelle as Trinity, Biden as somebody? The other is a biker motif that says “Born to Ride, Destined to Lead” with a graphic of Obama in a US flag dew rag and leather jacket. I mean really, can you see Obama flipping his leg over a Harley?

I could see it now…. “Hey Rahm, what’s this twisty gadget over here on the right bar handle thingy?”

MarkABinVA on May 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Obama is just a wasteful elitist thug.

Zorro on May 31, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I certainly don’t begrudge anyone a vacation or a night on the town. However, only one of them has been preaching that we are in the worst times since the depression, that we have to sacrifice for the greater good, that we have to have some skin in this game. And that makes that one one big hypocrite.

And I truly, truly do not understand why the GOP is not continuously questioning him, taking him to task about all this, and rejecting all his crap.

marge on May 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

marge on May 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Maybe it’s because they do the same things, without the media attention?

bridgetown on May 31, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Seriously, you have already seen all productions available in DC? And if you want to go to Broadway, which I guess is fine considering how he plans to be in a position he’s in for 7 more years, isn’t there any official business in NYC at all? I don’t think anyone would mind a night out if it comes after a full day of meetings or something.

radiofreevillage on May 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I go to a Bar/Grille here in Manassas…

MarkABinVA on May 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I used to live in Manassas. Right off Minniville rd, by 234. Good times. Back then I’d go to Kelley’s bar on Dale blvd.

Ugly on May 31, 2009 at 12:12 PM

marge on May 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Actually the RNC I believe got this ball rolling and now we have ill informed people like Jazz Shaw as usual saying we shouldn’t

Topsecretk9 on May 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM

WORST POTUS EVER.

reliapundit on May 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Maybe it’s because they do the same things, without the media attention?

bridgetown on May 31, 2009 at 12:10 PM

This is probably quite true to a degree, in a broad-brush sense. It seems that it takes so much money and influence to make it to office today, so many lose any sense of humility or modesty once they reach high office. Pretty sad state of affairs. Term.limits.

MarkABinVA on May 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

How many here who voted for him, would do it again?

shoregulls on May 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM

George took too many vacations, too, and people are still grousing about it.

This is nothing relevant in my opinion.

Just the WH supporting the “arts.”

And being smart about marriage.

AnninCA on May 31, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Just the WH supporting the “arts.”

And being smart about marriage.

AnninCA on May 31, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Wot wot?

Ugly on May 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

How many here who voted for him, would do it again?

shoregulls on May 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I would say not many here except our resident trolls (Good afternoon, Mr. Gibbs) voted for him. Though the ones that you will get a response from will still be mindlessly, blindly supporting the Statist.

MarkABinVA on May 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

A man of the people, a leader who understands the concerns of the working man, an officer raised from the ranks of the enlisted but never forgot his humble beginning: President Baracky Hussein Ogabe.

Just don’t get too close with your common plainness, it might rub off on the exalted one and his queen.

Bishop on May 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Dukeboy01 on May 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Obama won’t get lifetime Secret Service protection — unless he dies within 10 years of leaving office. Congress changed the law. Now presidents (starting with George W. Bush) only get SS guards for 10 years after leaving office.

AZCoyote on May 31, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Oh believe me, I didn’t vote for him, would never vote for him. I knew where he was going to take us and he’s doing it, at record breaking speed.

Thank you Citizen for your response.

shoregulls on May 31, 2009 at 12:24 PM

At least they didn’t go to Vegas (like they did the day before).

Akzed on May 31, 2009 at 12:24 PM