Politicization of Justice, part II

posted at 10:30 am on May 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, we saw that the Obama administration’s political appointees at the Department of Justice force career prosecutors to withdraw from a case that they’d already won against the New Black Panther Party over egregious voter intimidation in Philadelphia.  Today, the Washington Post reports that the DoJ now appears to be taking on a political fight against a conservative and controversial figure in Arizona.   A new investigation about alleged civil-rights violations has Sheriff Joe Arpaio fuming over what he sees as a political attack:

The lawyers representing a controversial Arizona sheriff who is under investigation for his treatment of Latino residents accused officials in the Justice and Homeland Security departments yesterday of political motivations in pursuing probes against their client.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joseph M. Arpaio and his office, which have drawn widespread attention for an unorthodox approach to crime and punishment, are the focus of three federal investigations into whether they violated federal rules or civil rights laws in pursuing illegal immigrants. …

Robert N. Driscoll, a District-based lawyer for Maricopa County who served as a civil rights official at the Justice Department early in the George W. Bush era, said he was seeking “assurances that political rivalries and score settling played no role in the investigations.”

In his letter, Driscoll said that a civil rights probe of the Arpaio operation began in early March, weeks after four influential Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee called for an investigation into alleged discrimination and possible constitutional violations in arrests and in police searches and seizures.

I’m sure that Arpaio and Maricopa County are reassured after reading the DoJ response from their spokesman:

“Because this matter is open and ongoing, we cannot comment on the investigation other than to restate that career professionals in the Civil Rights Division began looking into this last year, and the Department made the decision to open this investigation in the same manner we make every such decision, based on the facts and the law,” Miyar said.

Oh, sure, we understand.  They will make those decisions based on the law, just as they did when they unilaterally reversed themselves in the NBPP case after they’d won it.  Because that was based on the law …. which found in the government’s favor … and which they then ignored.

Keep this in mind when the DoJ helps Norman Eisen determine who falls under the qualification of “anyone exerting influence on the [stimulus] process” in order to shut up its critics.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sheriff Joe is our state’s Most Valuable Politician, having saved taxpayers big bucks with his innovations, & having caught scores of illegal aliens. No wonder the libs are after him.

jgapinoy on May 30, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Only Obama’s campaign donors have influence over the stimulus spending, and there is no way Obama will allow them to be prosecuted.

zmdavid on May 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Sheriff Joe almost makes me want to move to that area, but I hane not seen any lake property for sale.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on May 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM

It’s a good thing we have such even-handed judges as Sonia Sotomayor in the system to handle these cases.

zmdavid on May 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Is there anything we can do? I’ve never understood people who blithely live their lives without an inkling about what their government is doing but I am starting to envy them. And when you write your representatives you get insulted with the most inane crap ever to invited into your own home via email.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Obama… “you ain’t seen nothing yet”.

I would like to think the state of AZ is going to assist/gt behind Good Sheriff Joe in this battle…

…?

katy on May 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Typical that they would launch an investigation against a sheriff for doing his job yet they wont lift a finger to go after the massive amount of crime and corruption going on in organizations like ACORN.

Dreadnought223 on May 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

May I take it that, if Sherif Joe had also captured legals, there would be no discrimination charge made against him?

OldEnglish on May 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I would hope that a wise Latina Sheriff, would make better decisions than Joe.

Because he is a white male that lacks a rich experience.

artist on May 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

3 cheers for Sherriff Joe (& I don’t mean Biden)! Unfortunately, now stimulus funding will be withdrawn from Maricopa cou

(internet connection mysteriously cut off)

KS Rex on May 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM

“Because this matter is open and ongoing, we cannot comment on the investigation other than to restate that career professionals leftists in the Civil Rights Division began looking into this last year, and the Department made the decision to open this investigation in the same manner we make every such decision, based on the facts and the law,” Miyar said.

thomasaur on May 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Civil Rights Division began looking into this last year

If it’s last year, Bush opened up the investigation?

angryed on May 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Politicization of Justice, part II

The good people of Maricopa County, Arizona are like Energizer Bunnies, they keep voting Sheriff Joe Arpaio back into office…WHY?

Because Joe Arpaio is a no nonsense, rule of law person. He runs a tight ship, and upholds the laws that he took an oath to enforce. To me, he’s model to watch and follow, and that’s why he’s been driving the local libs nuts. Now under Obama, enter the U.S. Department of Justice to put the screws to Arpaio, because they can’t have a tough sheriff operating in a tough on illegal immigration state.
You can one thing to the bank, when the government touches it, it will get screwed up. Just look at our banking, Wall Street and automotive industry, and Arizona will be made lawless next!

byteshredder on May 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM

***
Sheriff Joe Arpaio seems like an honest policeman–his actions seem quite reasonable to me. The convicts live in the same conditions that most military persons do in the field.
***
He also tries to provide some education help to them. Why is doing your job and enforcing the law considered “racist”? Stop breaking the law and you will get along a lot better with the sheriff. And you will get a better color of underwear–white instead of pink!
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on May 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM

We had better stand behind Sheriff Joe and show our support in every which way we can. Our team is losing, and this man is one of our team captains.

Open for suggestions!

Keemo on May 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I’d like to know what David Frum, Peggy Noonan, Chris Buckley and Colin Powell think of this.

Chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp.

angryed on May 30, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Great, this is the country we’re dying for. Go ahead a scratch line three from “The Soldiers Creed”.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

OldEnglish on May 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Many localities will not house illegals “due to costs” by stating that they are not justly compensated. Sheriff Joe just pitches another tent so he probably makes money on the deal.

angryed on May 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Complaints that require investigation come in constantly for all locations, it is easy to use one of those in CYA press release. For all you know they could have investigated you last year. Nothing to find? No public disclosure. We are talking D.C. wordsmiths.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Ich bin aus der Bundesregierung, und ich bin hier, um Ihnen helfen.

Johan Klaus on May 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Hey, Kiddo, are you doing alright? How many days left? Are you counting yet?

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

A reprise of the Reno ‘Justice’ dept where it was used to cover the crook in the White House and attack all enemies of the democrats. It is what we should expect…it is what they do

JIMV on May 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Sheriff Joe is a man standing for what is right and upholding the rule of law. That is something that will not be tolerated under this Administration.

Hang in there hawkdriver.

kingsjester on May 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM

King Hussein will bestow empathy upon him.

faraway on May 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

hawk,
We have a Red Tailed Hawk on the ranch and I’ve named him driver. He’s one heck of a hunter. Take care and God Bless.

thomasaur on May 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Somehow I doubt it.

Residents of where? That’s what this is about – “Latino residents”. I’m sure if he was cracking down on illegal European immigrants, there would not be a problem.

I don’t see many groups out their named The Race in Polish, Russian, Korean, etc…

Anyone?

Anyone?

reaganaut on May 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Why is Eric Holder not wearing an orange jumpsuit, crying like a baby from behind the bars at a federal penetentiary?

The longer this goes on, the worse the sentences are going to have to be for this junta. They’re only barely hanging on to prison sentences that can be served in this world. If they keep going, they’ll earn sentences that can only be served in the next.

progressoverpeace on May 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I would hope that a wise Latina Sheriff, would make better decisions than Joe.

Because he is a white male that lacks a rich experience.

artist on May 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I can’t wait for our first racist Supreme Court Justice. Now that’s equal rights.

faraway on May 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Hang in there comrade! Fighting is what you do; the rest of us are waiting/wanting/needing our marching orders so that we can join in the battle.

I’m involved in community grass roots efforts here in my area. The planning is underway; the energy is unlike anything I’ve seen. Most civilian folks are busy raising their families, working hard, and watching this show in horror. Half of my family are big time union members, brainwashed tools. Half of my family voted for Obama with no other thought. Not one of them is any less shocked than those of us that used our brains prior to this moment. Not a member of my family would vote for Obama if they could have a “do over.”

The American people will rise to the occasion comrade! Leaders will emerge… You hawk, could be one of them…

Keemo on May 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Arpaio forcing convicts to wear pink underwear???

Obama DOJ calls it TORTURE!!!

marybel on May 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

The law is just a tool to be used to promote the most vicious attack on our country’s values and economy in our history. Obama uses the law and intimidation like the corrupt political machine, he represents, has a history of doing. The truth be damned.

volsense on May 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

OT:

Did Obama only close white-owned Chrysler dealers?

faraway on May 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Not a member of my family would vote for Obama if they could have a “do over.”
Keemo on May 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Are they all prepared to dodge baton-wielding Black Panthers to vote?

zmdavid on May 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Going after Sheriff Joe, killing off the last hero of the American West.
Sheriff Joe will not roll over like so many others. He’s a fighter and will stand his ground.
I’m sure in his mind he is saying to The One’s henchmen, “Bring It“!

FireBlogger on May 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Damn I get kicked off line every ten minutes like clockwork.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I don’t know how long they’re going to keep me here so I can’t even make a short-timers calendar. I thought I was just coming for the RIP, but I got me a brand new spanking position. Joy.

It’s the fastest we’ve ever lost anyone also. CW3(P) Cole and one Apache gone. Bad times. Worst deployment I’ve ever been on, Cindy. News like this from The States makes it worse.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Hey they are setting precedence. The next time the Conservatives get control we can prosecute them all LOL.

To ARMS To ARMS the commies are comming.

Rick007 on May 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

hawk,
thomasaur on May 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

thomasaur,
We have a Cooper Hawk that visited our birdfeeders twice last week. I call him Obama.

He swoops in and leaves a mess of feathers faster than you can say “poor unsuspecting Downy woodpeckers.”

marybel on May 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Are they all prepared to dodge baton-wielding Black Panthers to vote?

zmdavid on May 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Don’t know the answer to that question David. I’m not close to those tools, even though they are family. Brainwashed idiots are nothing other than brainwashed idiots; even if they are family…

Keemo on May 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Did Obama only close white-owned Chrysler dealers?

faraway on May 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Answered my own question. He did not.

Of the 789 Chrysler dealers who were notified that their contracts will not be renewed, 38 are minority owned…

At the end of April, there were 154 minority dealers in Chrysler’s 3,181 total U.S. dealer body network…

faraway on May 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

When terrorists murder American citizens, they always hang the body over a bridge or drag it through town.

This, of course, is to show that the purpose of attacks is not to kill the enemy per se, but to scare away anyone who might oppose the terrorist.

Obama seems overly familiar with this technique.

jeff_from_mpls on May 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Wimp RINO’s in Congress will not stand up for Joe because they are afraid of alienating Hispanics, most of which will never vote for them anyway. We should be taking a strong stand against illegal immigration, amnesty was stopped due to a public uproar during Bush, even the libs I talk to are not too thrilled about it.

We can certainly make a fiscal case, a jobs case, an environmental case and a rule of law case against it. All we need to do is articulate it. That would take balls though and I guess the Repubs in Congress are fresh out of that.

echosyst on May 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Thanks, Cindy. So the discrimination lies in not providing four star accommodation. Just great!

OldEnglish on May 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM

thomasaur on May 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

That’s pretty cool, thanks.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Where’s Eliot Ness when you need him? I mean who else has the balls to go after a Chicago thug.

Iblis on May 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Maricopa County resident here, we love Sheriff Joe and we will keep electing him and we are so so glad he and the Ma Co Sheriffs work to keep us safe,

did everyone see the video of our County Sheriffs telling PX mayor Phil Gordon to shut up and stop calling them racist?

I will go get it..

ginaswo on May 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I will go get it..
We have Joes back here and several leaders of the AA community here told DC to back off and shut up that they have no trouble here, this when Al Sharpton promised to come here and work undercover to try to entrap our officers..

frakkin maroons

ginaswo on May 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM

here is Sheriff Joe responding to the 287G hearings and the ACORN attacks against him

ginaswo on May 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM

echosyst on May 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Whimp RINO’s stand for nothing! These creatures seemingly have no values worth defending. Lindsey Graham is a good example of an absolute worthless politician.

Keemo on May 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I’m also getting kicked from the internet about every 10 minutes…

Keemo on May 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM

here are our County Sheriffs defending themselves

youtube here

ginaswo on May 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM

If you even get an answer.

qestout on May 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Let’s see…he arrests people who violate the law then puts them in jail. Damn, that is unorthodox! Someone ought to do something about that! Perhaps Sotomayor needs to spread some of her latina wisdom to the alleged perpetrators in AZ.

Wyznowski on May 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Obama:

I won

and all you who don’t like it suck.

pabarge on May 30, 2009 at 11:34 AM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

You let us worry about over here, you concentrate on you and your comrades. I am sure there will be plenty for you to do when you get back. I need some military figures for something I am doing at the house. I saw your note about the pilot, anything I say wouldn’t be enough but I am truly sorry. It’s been a long time since I have actually “known” someone in harms way. As you can tell by the thread, you are thought about often. Let us know if any of you need anything, I hesitate to volunteer Ed or Allah but I am sure they would pass it on.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM

qestout on May 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I get answers alright. I have a Republican who is not running for reelection and a “moderate” Democrat on the hard votes I am pretty sure they get together and decide to split the vote based on who will take the least amount of grief, i.e. stimulus, retiring Rep. yes, needs the votes Dem., no but now he rationalizes his vote for the bailout of auto manufacturers who are still going to go bankrupt after huge infusions of taxpayer money. *SCREAM*

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM

OldEnglish on May 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I don’t know what to tell you.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Conservatives should be very careful aligning themselves with Arizona’s version of Huey Long. While Arpaio is great at garnering media attention, appealing to populist anger and choosing the “best” enemies, his record leaves much to be desired. As a Maricopa conservative, I wish we had a sheriff more interested in fighting crime than sending press releases.

Before I’m flamed, you might want to read this from the Goldwater Institute: http://www.goldwaterinstitute.org/AboutUs/ArticleView.aspx?id=2440

Exurban Jon on May 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

A century after the government’s EMP pulses purge us of our unhelpful criticisms, historians will unearth a secret archive of arch-criminal Ed “Morpheus” Morrissey’s postings, then they will actually look at all the government assaults on freedom captured in the archive and do a rethink on who the real criminals were.

Mark30339 on May 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I hesitate to volunteer Ed or Allah but I am sure they would pass it on.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I asked both of them for a favor about one of my NCOs a while back and got crickets. So I wouldn’t count on that. Not sure what the deal is but it doesn’t matter. Really don’t need anything that would be of help.

It’s good enough to talk with you guys when I can get on.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Ok, so I will volunteer blantantblue, he has my email. Anytime you need it.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Mark30339 on May 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Yes, us! For wanting freedom.

OldEnglish on May 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM

In the Pres’ plan for remaking Ameriks, we wont be able to keep Joe around to show that a Conservative’s point of action works well….

DL13 on May 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Exurban Jon on May 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I won’t flame you, I assume that the local newspaper is plenty critical of the sheriff since that’s what they do. I will trust in the good sense of the people that vote for him. Of course, the argument could be made that look what the voters have done for us nationally but then our shiny new president was an unknown equation, the sheriff is not.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Chicago politics writ large. It’s going to be an ugly four years.

Cicero43 on May 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Johan Klaus on May 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Aber ich habe gewonnen

MikeA on May 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM

With the thugs now in charge of DoJ, the only response to a question from a federal official:

“Due to the radical politicalization of the American justice system by our “Democrat” Party Overlords, I must exercise my rights under the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution”

… that will probably be my response to the up coming Census intrusion, because the number of times I flush the toilet will probably soon be a criminal offense according to Barry’s Brown Shirt Brigade…

phreshone on May 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Every county, in every state in the union, should have a Sheriff Joe!

GFW on May 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Just how difficult do you think it was to find “injured” parties?

Of course they didn’t bother to interview any victims of illegal aliens.

Federal payroll progressive prejudice ambulance chasers.
IOW, Obama clone army corps.

Speakup on May 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM

That wasn’t very clear, but he has a website.

Cindy Munford on May 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Thought Communisim was bad?

Obamaism is going to be much worse.

Join the Resistance.

RandyChandler on May 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Hmmm

Lets see now. We drop charges against the guilty and go after the lawful ones.

Sounds like the ACORN way to me.

Rick007 on May 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM

…?

Local libs like the mayor of PHX & the state atty gen are fighting him constantly.

jgapinoy on May 30, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Mark30339 on May 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

We are headed to a time when those historians, educated as they might be, will not have the capacity to see it that way.

Saltysam on May 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM

faraway on May 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, there’s no evidence that white dealerships were targeted or that Republican owned dealerships were targeted. I think Thaddeus McCotter had it right on Red Eye on THursday when he said that because there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the dealership closings by Obama-Chrysler, it’s made the dealerships paranoid and suspicious.

Outlander on May 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Why doesn’t Barry just secede Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and California to Mexico and get it over with?

GarandFan on May 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM

…?

katy on May 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM

I am an ex-resident. The liberalism in the Valley of the Sun is shocking, plus there are two Arizonas – Maricopa County and the rest of the state.

That Goldwater article is typical mushy crap about the crime rate. People who do bad things in Mexico are either hiding in Phoenix or they’re operating their Mexican crime rings from Phoenix.

Either way, the crime wave is being imported. So going after all illegal aliens (a state felony in AZ) is exactly what ALL the cops should be doing.

platypus on May 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Remember this Ed? Obama at the time said he was going to beef up the Civil Rights Division … can’t hide the fact that this was most definitely a political appointment.

President Obama on Thursday nominated Oakland attorney Tony West, a former federal prosecutor and prolific Obama campaign fundraiser, to head the U.S. Department of Justice’s civil division.

Texas Gal on May 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM

ginaswo on May 30, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for those links! As a long-time fan of Sheriff Joe, it’s good to see him and his deputies speaking out like this.

The Maricopa County Sheriff’s office has a “contact us” option — one of the choices is “Sheriff appreciation letters” — let’s show them some love!

califcon on May 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM

We’ve got three and a half years left of “pay back whitey”…better get used to it!

repvoter on May 30, 2009 at 1:07 PM

That’s not Sheriff Joe in the picture….

Tim Burton on May 30, 2009 at 1:08 PM

OldEnglish on May 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM

He has, he arrests anyone who has a warrant out. His crime sweeps hit everyone.

Tim Burton on May 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

This is a personal favor of the DOJ for Janet Napolitano. Janet hated Sheriff Joe when she was Governor of AZ – they were always locking horns. Now Janet has the power of the Feds to finally finish Joe off.

Janet is also notorious for her strong arm tactics, so this situation does not surprise me.

When does all of the abuse of power of this administration finally reach the tipping point? They’ve done more to mutilate personal rights and freedoms than any previous administation, and they have only been at it 4 months!

Stand tall, Sheriff Joe. I wish I was still in Arizona to support you.

Timothy S. Carlson on May 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Ich bin aus der Bundesregierung, und ich bin hier, um Ihnen helfen.

Johan Klaus on May 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Sieg Heil Yobama

faol on May 30, 2009 at 1:13 PM

That’s not Sheriff Joe in the picture….

Tim Burton on May 30, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I don’t think it is either.

Janet N. and Joe have a long time feud. This is politically motivated harassment. And it should stop. But this is what our Federal Government is now.

Sheriff Joe has done more on the illegal immigration front than any other person in the country. Obama will have no dissent.

petunia on May 30, 2009 at 1:13 PM

That’s not Sheriff Joe in the picture….

Tim Burton on May 30, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I believe that Mr. Burton is correct. That’s not Joe.

BTW: I love you pictures, Mr. Burton, but… what the hell were you thinking when you ‘re-imagined’ Planet Of The Apes??

:P

Timothy S. Carlson on May 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

And exactly why is this fight supposed to be by the Queenberry rules? What have those rules gotten us? The high ground? Where? Show me Culps Hill and Cemetary Ridge. Show me how we have the tactical advantage. Show me how righteous we are for not lifting out knee into the the Democrate center of gravity.

Limerick on May 30, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Sheriff Joe for Attorney General 2012

petefrt on May 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Sorry, the Saturday beer has the better of my keyboard.

Limerick on May 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Some of my friends and family keep suggesting I join the armed forces as a solution to unemployment…but I am becoming less inclined to endure military life (much less risk crippling or a grisly death) for this sorry excuse of a republic by the week.

Thing is I don’t have the balls to say it straight to their faces. Especially since more than one of the aforementioned friends are veterans…

Dark-Star on May 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Sheriff Joe for Attorney General 2012

petefrt on May 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Sheriff Joe…for President.

Conservative Voice on May 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Napolitano has had it in for Arpaio, limiting his efforts, funding, providing efficacy to his illegal alien detractors.

La Raza and others organized specifically in order to set up situations in order to entrap law enforcement. I’ve followed Arizona Republic news articles regarding amnesty for illegal immigrant protests and marches. Crowds of radical Hispanics will force an agent of law enforcement into a situation where it’s him against them, and in a democracy, the majority rules. And Napolitano then gave credence to complaints and charges filed.

Given that Maricopa County is one of the worst places nationally for kidnappings and Mexican drug gang violence, you really have to hand it to Arpaio for doing as great a job on his budget as he is for the public safety.

This past year, about the time Laura Ingraham was interviewing Sheriff Joe on her show, he mentioned his work history résumé. Arpaio not only knows Arizona and Federal law, but international as well. Prior to Maricopa County, he’s already served a career internationally. He knew what to expect settling into the job responsibilities in Maricopa County; but when he first ran for Sheriff, I wonder if anyone knew just how radical the leftists in government were to be.

Arpaio would be reason enough for Obama to appoint Napolitano Czar of Homeland Security, to eliminate rule of law and legal enforcement from the very roots.

Driskoll had better do more than lip service to legality.

maverick muse on May 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Heh. I just ran into this story headline on DR:

PRAVDA: ‘American descent into Marxism happening with breathtaking speed’…

When America’s change in direction even takes the Russians by surprise – wow. They can see it, why not our own citizens?

Sheriff Joe is just the beginning. Political opponents first – then average citizens that oppose the policies being implemented.

New Black Panthers that intimidate voters at the polls – they get their charges dismissed. But a man who would dare uphold the immigration laws of this country? Let’s do everything we can to press trumped up charges, and destroy his career and life.

‘Mein Führer – Ich kann stechschritt!!!’

Timothy S. Carlson on May 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM

He skirts the edge of “cruel and unusual punishment.”

Not a fan here.

AnninCA on May 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Dark-Star on May 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Going into the service because jobs are hard to find is just a bad idea. Especially in these times.

hawkdriver on May 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Sheriff Joe for Attorney General 2012

petefrt on May 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Sheriff Joe…for President.

Conservative Voice on May 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

No, no, no.

Sheriff Joe for head of Homeland Security.

Throw Janet out and put him in. It’s a much better fit.

Timothy S. Carlson on May 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM

A couple of months ago I predicted that the Obama Administration would not rest until Sheriff Joe was led off in handcuffs. I was pooh poohed by the majority of Hot Air bloggers. He hasn’t been led away YET but they’re trying( Now that Cheney appears out of reach.). It’s double ironic that the real racists (Holder and Obama) are instigating this racial lynching in the light of Acorn scandals and the forgiving of Black Panthers’ voting intimidation (with drawn weapons yet) and forgiving Tim Geithner’s tax cheating to put him in charge of the tax cheat catching IRS-triple irony. Geithner added 800 IRS agents to catch even more tax cheats (maybe one of them can catch Geithner.)

Sheriff Joe is exactly like Gary Cooper in ‘High Noon’ with the Democrats being the bad guys coming to kill him and the Republicans being the cowards who hide in the church.

MaiDee on May 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM

He skirts the edge of “cruel and unusual punishment.”

Not a fan here.

AnninCA on May 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM

That doesn’t come as a huge surprise.

DFCtomm on May 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Sheriff Joe makes very good sense. The DOJ, not so much.

jorb on May 30, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Exurban Jon on May 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Thanks for the information. I had no idea. The need to codify delegated responsibilities is absolutely on the mark.

Arpaio’s Honduran sister city style set up smacks of diplomatic style extravagance, though training occurs. Spending so much on the Honduran working vacation perks while closing satellite arresting stations makes no down to earth sense at all.

There’s an obvious disconnect between Arpaio and the City of Mesa. Likely Arpaio did the official illegal alien employee sweep at the City of Mesa buildings just to make it clear that the City of Mesa has be hiring illegals, to mute their criticisms. The Tribune failed to mention how many deputies were involved in the “sweep” that caught 3 illegal city employees. Did the city buildings have night security or just custodians at work with typical street police patrols? I think this portion of criticism was overblown at Arpaio’s expense, UNLESS he actually did threaten police who were there (but they weren’t or it would have been part of the report that did provide details), or unless Arpaio sent dozens of deputies to catch 3 nightshift janitors/cleaners.

But the real criticisms that the Goldwater report made should be addressed. It would be a shame to think that Arpaio isn’t working in coordination with all of the law enforcement agencies, and to realize that Arpaio is really dropping the ball allowing corruption within his ranks. He’s between a rock and a hard spot, and I’d like for him to be doing right.

The particular criticism regarding his office’s clerical failures from poor employee performance in the office itself would be influenced also by the Maricopa County Dept. of Human Services that actually does the hiring. No doubt, bilingual SPANISH is prerequisite, and the pay is minimum wage, so those hired would be Hispanics with lower education, and also with possible bias to NOT perform job descriptions efficiently since the pay is static and by the hour, regardless of job performance, and getting fired would provide them an opportunity to attempt a legal suit against the county.

maverick muse on May 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM

More jackbooted thuggery from Adolf Obama. Let’s harass a officer of the law who actually enforces the law. Obama is starting to use his presidential powers and alphabet agencies to go after political enemies. This is going wide scale quickly. We need to stop this before we all die under Obama’s long knives.

chicagojedi on May 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM