Who pressured Justice to drop case against voter intimidation in Philly?

posted at 12:14 pm on May 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Michelle blogged about this yesterday, and the Washington Times reports today that the Department of Justice has taken the “unprecedented” step of dropping a case which they had already won by default judgment. Political appointees at Justice pressured career prosecutors into giving up on the case of voter intimidation by the New Black Panthers group in Philadelphia, who attempted to frighten voters away from the polls in the presidential election:

Justice Department political appointees overruled career lawyers and ended a civil complaint accusing three members of the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense of wielding a nightstick and intimidating voters at a Philadelphia polling place last Election Day, according to documents and interviews.

The incident – which gained national attention when it was captured on videotape and distributed on YouTube – had prompted the government to sue the men, saying they violated the 1965 Voting Rights Act by scaring would-be voters with the weapon, racial slurs and military-style uniforms.

Career lawyers pursued the case for months, including obtaining an affidavit from a prominent 1960s civil rights activist who witnessed the confrontation and described it as “the most blatant form of voter intimidation” that he had seen, even during the voting rights crisis in Mississippi a half-century ago.

The incident was videotaped and widely distributed on YouTube at the time:

Recall, please, that Democrats screamed about the supposed politicization at Justice during Alberto Gonzales’ tenure as Attorney General for replacing political appointees who serve at the pleasure of the President. They claimed that the replacement of nine US Attorneys was a plan by the Bush administration, supposedly through Karl Rove and Harriet Miers, to affect the outcome of investigations and prosecutions. It touched off a Constitutional fight over executive privilege that continues to this day, as the House  and Senate Judiciary Committees are still conducting its “investigations” into this supposed politicization.

This looks significantly more like politicization of outcomes that anything alleged during the Bush administration, especially since the DoJ already won the case.  In fact, the government had prepared arguments for penalties against the men as late as May 5th, before the political commissars under Attorney General Eric Holder ordered them to withdraw.  Holder, during his confirmation hearing, had called career DoJ lawyers his “teachers” and the “backbone” of Justice.  Apparently, the political leadership trumps teachers and backbone when it comes to voter intimidation on behalf of Barack Obama.

So will the same Congressional committees open an investigation into this reversal to benefit voter intimidation on behalf of the administration?  Will they go after actual politicization as energetically as they did implied politicization?  You can ask them yourselves:

House Judiciary Committee: 202-225-3951

Senate Judiciary Committee: 202-224-7703, 202-224-5225

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I guess Pennsylvania voters will have to be packing to vote in the future.

Vashta.Nerada on May 29, 2009 at 1:04 PM

The irony is, that as far as I know, you cannot carry concealed at a polling place even if you have a Concealed Carry Permit. So, the decent citizens cannot carry but these thugs can brandish nighsticks.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the non minority population of philly is a little more elderly, hence more easily intimidated. Add to that that a 75 year old can’t legally carry then you have effective intimidation.

The younger people aren’t generally going to vote conservative. The middle age people are too wussified to go as a group and intimidate back.

My fantasy is that these sleezballs try to intimidate someone with serious martial arts abilities who pulls their freaking eyeballs out of their sockets and ties them in a freaking squareknot…. then begins to apply a serious hurtin on them…Then proceeds to do something with their batons that will require the assistance of a skilled proctologist to remedy.

Chew on that Bill O’reilly.

bullseye on May 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM

When I lived in Arlington, VA, my DC friends and I would see racist DC cab drivers not pick up young black men. Of course these drivers were from Nigeria, Ethiopia, Eritrea and didn’t like the idea of getting robbed at gun point. . .

rbj on May 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Yeah, and that leftist douchenozzle Lenny Kravitz wrote a song about it. I guess he conveniently overlooked the fact that the taxi drivers were black, just like him and the crooked looking thugs that they refused to pick up.

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Danny Glover bitched about the same thing in NY. He also neglected to mention there aren’t any white cab drivers. Yet he made it sound as if it was a white racism problem.

vapig on May 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Danny Glover whined about the same thing in NY and conveniently neglected to mention there are no white cab drivers. It didn’t stop him from saying it was a white racism issue.

vapig on May 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM

rbj on May 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Kind of funny in a weird sort of way when an African is more racist then a Caucasian when it comes to African Americans.

txaggie on May 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM

We are now officially a third world sewer of a country complete with a socialist govt, a sham of an economomy and a cartoonish, cult of personality based leader.

Alden Pyle on May 29, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Coming soon: A telescreen (a la Orwell’s 1984) on every wall to monitor our behavior and carbon use.

petefrt on May 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Justice Department political appointees overruled career lawyers and ended a civil complaint accusing three members of the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense of wielding a nightstick and intimidating WHITE voters at a Philadelphia polling place last Election Day, according to documents and interviews.

There, fixed it!

TrickyDick on May 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I used to work with a Nigerian engineer here in Houston. He told me he was terrified of American blacks. That was in the late-80s.

DanMan on May 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM

We have messed up priorities. I’ve seen homeless crapping in parks in Philly. Yet every year 10,000 march in the Mummers parade. Men dress up in dresses and other costumes. Dozens of bands spend 10′s of thousands of dollars each year for the costumes. And no one will stand up against voter intimidation. I supose I could pick on several other excesses of the population, but I wonder was it always this way? Philly used to be central to our newly forming government and now we don’t even seem to be able to find out who in the government did this horrible deed, letting them get away with it with no accountability.

AnotherOpinion on May 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Proud Rino, The Race Card, strangelet, benny shaker, Tom Shipley, where are you? Come out and plaaaaaaaay.

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM

BTW folks it isn’t just the black panthers. I live in a philly suburb. During one of the past elections, they were bringing in vanloads of MOVEON a-holes. They started to try to be intimidating but the constable immediately took care of the situation.

The problem is that many of our townships are starting to turn democrap (The democraps flee the high taxes and decay of Philly and New Yawk and keep voting for the same socialist crap that ruined the cities they left). Anyway, as the demoncraps gain control, we will find that the constables will no longer provide a safe polling place. Disenfranchising a portion of the remaining conservative voters in the burbs plus the lock on the city will mean a complete lockout of conservative candidates.

The other factor is the union guys at the polls. They have been pretty well behaved because they know that BS won’t be tolerated. However, as the tide shifts politically, that won’t be true. I predict that in about 10 years it could become dangerous to work the polls as a conservative or wear any conservative items (ie NRA hat or Republican pins)

As I mentioned before there are some of us that will respond to intimidation by tying their eyeballs into square knots.

bullseye on May 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I’m surprised Death to Whitey!!11!! hasn’t vomited in this thread yet. Or Sesqui-pedophile.

PimFortuynsGhost on May 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

This certainly does not bode well. No crime is committed by those that support BHO, as long they don’t bring a weapon to the polling places. Just another reminder of who won and is in charge, and who is on the list of extremist enemies of the state and who is not. Maybe those secrative talks with Chavez were more about how to remain in power than about state matters. In that case it would not make sense to decriminalize voter intimindation at the polls.

Franklyn on May 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Who pressured DOJ to drop? One only needs to think of the arrogance in the statement “I Won!” to know that. The sycophants in DOJ and other government bureaucracies are always on the lookout for ways to curry favor from powerful people. I Obama even hints that it should be dropped, there will be a dozen or more of the hanger on types scurrying outside to “fix the problem Obama mentioned.”

Webrider on May 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM

DanMan on May 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM

The all-time classic is Jesse Jackson, Sr. once telling how he was walking down the street at night in DC and heard footsteps behind him. He was relieved when he turned around and saw it was some white kids.

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

That’s right, the government protects its racist thugs….

DL13 on May 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

You know, I sat there and looked at the New Black Panther Party Logo and I see a panther and the African continent and it got me thinking.
We should all send these thugs airline tickets for a one way trip back to their lovely ‘homeland’. They LOVE Africa so much and they HATE America so ardently, I believe we should give them what they want, what they so richly deserve. They can live in Africa, they can live back in the homeland, like their ancestors did.
‘Sorry I messed up your Black Panther Party’….
Reverse racism is racism, DOJ.

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM

They are receiveing their talking points faxes now. Expect the onslaught en masse soon.

daesleeper on May 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Our national Coward, Eric Holder, should be forced to resign. Thanks for this article, I am calling my senators today!

TN Mom on May 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Not to mention Janeane Garo-foul-o.

Do you think she would consider the actions of the Black panthers “racism, straight up”?

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Aren’t you kind of making his point? Whatever the color of the driver, it’s the assumption that a black passenger is a bad guy that is at issue, no?

My best friend is a minority (not black), and he looks kind of badass, I guess – though he is completely law-abiding, and harmless unless threatened (or protecting someone else). I wonder if he would have trouble getting a cab. Maybe. But people instinctively lock their car doors if he’s nearby. Nobody wants to stand near him if he’s waiting for a bus…which is ironic, because he’s a Navy veteran, and standing near him is probably the safest place within a couple of miles.

At any rate, this news item is very disturbing. Either someone is afraid of them, or very happy with them. Neither of those options is good.

capitalist piglet on May 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Can we call the Obama Administration racist yet?

coldwarrior on May 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Can you say Obstruction of Justice? Can we see Holder frog marched from DoJ?

eaglewingz08 on May 29, 2009 at 2:35 PM

txaggie on May 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM

If you dig into history … around the time of the War of Northern Aggression, you can find a lot more of it.

Men … whatever color … seeks to hold power over others.

AZ_Redneck on May 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM

capitalist piglet on May 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM

You got me on that one.

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 2:44 PM

rbj on May 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM

You forgot your [rimshot] at the end of the post.

Chew on that Bill O’reilly.

bullseye on May 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM

That or someone (or a few someones) showing up with a shotgun(s). That’d be my fantasy… hard to walk out of a situation when you’ve got a brick in your pants.

[sarc]
Of course, a throw down between the black panthers and the KKK would do us a double service. Let the racists beat up their own kind, and let the voters through afterwards. [/sarc]

Chaz706 on May 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Reminds me of an early SNL sketch with Richard Pryor. He was playing a black preacher who was running a telethon to raise money for his church. Not one of the phones was ringing. He suddenly got the idea to ask for money to support a “Back to Africa” movement. The phones instantly started ringing off the hook.

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

The New Black Panther Party is a black separatist hate organization previously headed by a former Nation of Islam disciple of Louis Farrakhan (Khalid Abdul Muhammad), who was booted out of the NOI for being too radical even for them. The organization is now headed by Malik Zulu Shabazz who has continued the racist anti-white, anti-Semitic rhetoric of hate. So, we have a radical organization with allegiance to Islam and Africa, and coincidentally we have a President whose father was an African muslim. Call me paranoid, but these dots are too easy to connect.

infidel4life on May 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Hey why not protect the Panthers, the dems already want to protect the jihadis.

booter on May 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Chaz706 on May 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I live in Delaware and recently applied for a concealed carry permit. My state requires firearms training to get a permit. As part of my training, I learned that there are 3 places in DE where you can’t bring a concealed weapon, even with a permit. They are:
- State buildings
- Federal buildings
- Casinos
Since my polling places are schools and churches, I don’t know if carrying a gun when voting is taboo. But if I find out that there is voter intimidation of this type going on, let’s just say I’ll show up prepared to defend myself.

It’s better to be alive and in some trouble than a dead law-abiding citizen.

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Obama, “I won.”

Alden Pyle on May 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Well, I hope you empty-headed boobs that voted for this Obama character are pleased with yourselves! The thugocracy that you helped establish in our highest office is unconsionable to say the least! The message from our so-called “Justice Department” is now of tolerence for jackbooted thugs/Democratic operatives to block, intimidate and harrass people who vote. Welcome to the world of racist politics people. Like Obama said the other day: “You ain’t seen nothing yet”!!

JonR on May 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I can’t help but imagine
Barack and his wife, sipping wine and laughing their behinds off at all of the white people so upset!!!
They’re surely thinking…’what comes around goes around’…’finally, a chance to stick it to whitey’, etc..

bridgetown on May 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I think all Whites should join Stormfront now – or some other equally ludicrous White Supremacy group.

What happened to equal protection? If the government will no longer protect the rights of it’s citizens and protects racist organizations like the Black Panthers – then perhaps the only solution is for us to all join our own “ethnic” superiority groups.

You know – groups that protect OUR interstests – since the government is no longer doing it with an equal hand.

I hope everyone likes THAT America.

I know I won’t – but I can adapt I guess.

HondaV65 on May 29, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Unfortunately, that’s not as extremist of an idea as it may sound. The belief we adopted that “everyone gets treated the same” started going sour in the mid 1800s and has only gotten more off-track since then. It’s a noble idea, but one that has been severely hijacked by the PC police, communist/socialist groups, and various militant non-white racial groups. Quite simply our own philosophy of everyone united is killing us, which is sad beyond words.

I would have a lot of trouble sleeping at night if I had to trade unity for survival, but that would beat sleeping six feet under. Let’s hope and pray we don’t have to make such a choice.

Dark-Star on May 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Didn’t quite replace the Career Prosecutors soon enough. Had to be overruled by the Big House.

I’m wondering if any one knows of any other case where this type of action occurred, without an immunity grant to garner bigger fish?

Justice we can believe in?

Oxybeles on May 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Bill never did come to the defense of Michelle after Malik Shabazz called her a whore. I don’t understand why he didn’t, and the way I understood it, that’s the reason she won’t host his show any more. Correct me if I ‘m wrong about that.

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Don’t know the answer to that. I thought it had something to do with Geraldo the Jackass saying he would “spit on her if he saw her”.

Buy Danish on May 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Remember the rumors from Florida in 2000 stating that the state troopers stopped and intimidated black voters to keep them from voting for Algore? To my knowledge there was never any proof of this, but the accusations live on to this day. But when there is taped proof of intimidation, the DOJ decides to ignore. Amazing.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM

TRC should not be included in that number. He says a lot of the same things I say. He’s just less diplomatic–if that’s possible.

baldilocks on May 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Policies–the same ones which Jackson has promoted–have consequences.

baldilocks on May 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Buy Danish on May 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Geraldo is a vile pigdog (no offense to any of you pigdogs out there). And I believed that about him even before hearing about “spitgate.”

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Hannity used to have this Shabazz character on every once in a while, and he is a scary rascist dude. Thank goodness he seems to have quit giving him a platform to spout off.

silvernana on May 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM

This is just par for the course… we should expect this… It’s DA CHICAGOBAMA WAY of doin’ buz, YO!

CynicalOptimist on May 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM

baldilocks on May 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Every now and then Proud RINO makes sense, but then a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

But, but, but… Bush lied!!
Ashcroft, like, covered that statue’s breasts!
Gonzales… was evasive!!!
Cheney had an evil twisted smile!
And Bush fired the US Attorney in Seattle… just because he wouldn’t investigate how King County kept finding Democrat votes until the right person won the Governorship!

And, and… Bush lied!!

drunyan8315 on May 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Rhino is just what his name proclaims, maybe squishier. (I can’t believe that squishier is real word but no spelling error indication) As for TRC, he cracks me up, he usually does both sides of the argument in a single post. Very tallented

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I got the impression strangelet only comes here to purr and rub her backside up against AP’s leg, fantasizing all the while. Am I wrong?

a capella on May 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM

UltimateBob on May 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Schools are considered State buildings, so no, you cannot carry there.

ArkCon on May 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Not surprised at all, the black panther thugs page was front on husseins website all last year, saved a few screen shots:

christene on May 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I read the article about this and my blood pressure went to max. This is just more evidence of the thugocracy that has come to our country,.

1. Try every conceivable means to punish Joe the Plumber for asking a simple questions.
2. Get the St. Louis Persecutors to threaten anyone who criticises barak HUSSEIN obama.
3. Close down republican car dealerships.
4. Ignore voter suppression and intimidation
5. Get the press to slander Gov Palin every which way from sunday
6. Push for a ‘yoot corps’ ‘equal in power to the military’
7. Put vets, pro lifers and tea partiers on a ‘terrorist list’

That is just some of it not the sum of it.

Heck, we will soon be like East Germany where one out of every three people was a state informer. In the other Hussein’s regime a joke about a mustache was a death sentence for the joker. I suppose that given the current trend I’d better drop the ‘jug eared jackass’ comments.

HEY BILL O’REILLY – did you get that?.. I called him HUSSEIN. and a jug eared jackass. you can cover that instead of this blatant violation of voters rights… get on the case blowhard.

bullseye on May 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM

If this is happening in the daylight,,, what will they do when it is night?
In other words,, if they can get away with this with the internet, talk radio and a so called press,,,, what will they get away with once talk radio is gone and the internet is restricted.

JellyToast on May 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM

If this is happening in the daylight,,, what will they do when it is night?

JellyToast on May 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM

You bring up a serious issue and I hope it never comes to that.

Chaz706 on May 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

How can this be so ignored?

wallyqc on May 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Heh – never saw it, but I’m reminded of Eddie Murphy on SNL, Dr. Shabazz K. Morton.

Remember when people used to laugh?

reaganaut on May 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

More reasons why Holder needs to be tossed out of Justice and why The Precedent needs to be impeached. Let’s add this one to the long list that will eventually have to be read as the criminals of this junta are charged and hauled away in their new orange jumpsuits.

Holder is the ultimate coward and low-life. He doesn’t even deserve the benefit of a civilized society; he is a primitve.

progressoverpeace on May 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

DanMan on May 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I had a similiar experience while student teaching in college. A Rwandan man that had lost his entire family (32 members by his last count with many uncertian) during the genocide and came to America couldn’t say enough about the “American Black”. He was an amazing person and working with him for several months was a real eye-opener. It’s not the color of the skin that anyone should ever have a problem with, it’s the culture and ideology that is within that matters.
The black panthers have embraced an ideology of hatred and our legal system has rewarded it by turning a blind eye. I bet to my Rwandan friend, these thugs remind him of a past he would rather forget.

MichiganMatt on May 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM

FYI, an important point made by an attorney pursuing the case on Oreilly tonight:
The defendents named in this case were not only just three memebers of the New Black Pathers, but more importantly also included as a defendent the New Black Panthers itself. If the Panthers were found guilty in the case, subsequent charges could be brought against the party’s leadership.

paulsur on May 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM

And here is what the republicans have had to say about this:

-Dave

Dave R. on May 29, 2009 at 9:48 PM

The Democrat DOJ sides with the criminals.

When are the “moderate” Democrats to denounce the thugs and crooks they elect?

Eventually, silence becomes consent.

Merovign on May 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM

O’Reilly proclaimed tonight that “Obama had nothing to do with this.” Unbelievable. Bill, get your head out of the freaking sand you dolt.

infidel4life on May 29, 2009 at 11:26 PM

infidel4life on May 29, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Bill Blowhard is just trying to lessen the odds of an in depth IRS audit of his past 10 years of returns.

bullseye on May 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM

You’re all a nation of cowards frankly.

Ted Torgerson on May 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Somebody who was actually there,needs to sue the administration and B.hussein Obama personally for violation of their civil voting rights.Maybe even name the Democratic party as a defendant. Include Acorn and a few others too.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on May 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Why don’t they vote by absentee ballot?

I don’t get it.