Video: David Shuster tries, fails to conceal his absolute disdain for Tancredo

posted at 7:00 pm on May 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

No no, I kid. He doesn’t try at all. Watching this, I’m reminded how much he benefits from being on the same network as Olby. Anywhere else, he’d be notorious as the most shameless lefty hack in the stable. On MSNBC, he’s practically a straight newsman.

It’s a long clip, but stick with it until the end or you’ll miss Tanc’s musings on “moderate Republicans.” Both he and Shuster are at their worst here, the latter in his sneering contempt and unwillingness to let Tancredo finish a thought and the former in — well, you’ll see.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They deserve each other.

RobCon on May 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Obama: “I’m sure she would have restated…”

Give her a break; she was talking off teleprompter.

Disturb the Universe on May 29, 2009 at 7:06 PM

So everybody who gets an award is a racist.

Huh?

Disturb the Universe on May 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Shuster is like that dead squirrel on the road.

No one cares, except for eco-feminists with dreadlocks.

blatantblue on May 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Does anyone actually watch the Shyster?

d1carter on May 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Tom Tancredo deserves serious respect for entering that nest of vipers.

Disturb the Universe on May 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM

AP always manages to find the most face-punchable screencaps of Shuster.

SteakRules on May 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM

It’s extremely difficult to get worked up over this theater anymore… as long as Republicans keep appearing on these types of programs and act outraged that they’re not being treated fairly, don’t expect the rank and file to back you up. Frankly, it makes you look like an idiot that you keep accepting invites from the likes of MSNBC.

yogi41 on May 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

You may not agree with Tancredo, but, in this PC age, his candor is stunning. You can tell by the sly grin that Shuster thinks he got him to say exactly what he wanted, but I believe that Tancredo’s audience will be larger in the not too distant future.

DFCtomm on May 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Shuster is just another pompous ass and he should be avoided.

CWforFreedom on May 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I love Tancredo.

ctmom on May 29, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I think Tom did a great job.

BobH on May 29, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Tanc finally got to the bit that EVERYONE should mention IMMEDIATELY when talking about La Raza. It means “The Race”, Shuster’s BS notwithstanding.

We have to hammer the fact that La Raza is indeed on a par with the “Klan without the nooses”.

The Monster on May 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Shuster’s a hack, but Tancredo’s a lightweight demagogue. Couple of clowns.

dakine on May 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Man that’s a lot of blog posts here supporting Tancredo. HotAir.com must really believe in what he’s saying in this clip.

Alex K on May 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

yogi41 on May 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Yea! I don’t understand why Republican’s go on ANY show that is MSNBC or CNN. They should do a black out on those channels. What possible harm could it do? Only one side of the story would get reported? Too late, already there.

Hog Wild on May 29, 2009 at 7:29 PM

HotAir.com is me, Ed, and Michelle. No one else. Are you going the O’Reilly route now?

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I like Tancredo. He’s pretty much a one-issue guy, but he’s right on the one issue.

Connie on May 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

These media people, whether they realize or not, are becoming a joke. They poll lower than Congress. More and more people are wary of what they say so they may be losing their power somewhat.

darwin on May 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Connie on May 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Yes. When people like Tancredo talk it reminds me of the days before political correctness and our Pravda style media.

darwin on May 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

You can make the point about the danger of identity politics – and how Judge Sontamayor may be a proponent of that view – without the over the top nonsense of Limbaugh and Tancredo.

Just make your point, show where the other side is wrong, and let the public decide whether the Judge is a racist or not.

Give them the facts, let them put them together.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I’m giving you a hard time. Too soon?

Alex K on May 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Ed, Michelle and I.

/grammar cop off

lorien1973 on May 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Stating simple truths shouldn’t make moderates so afraid.

Good job Tanc

DwnSouthJukin on May 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

lorien1973 on May 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

No, mine is correct. You wouldn’t say, “HotAir.com is I,” would you?

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Shuster is a Chris Matthews starter kit. Does EVERY anchor at this sh1t network go through “Yelling Over Your Guests” 101 and “Make Accusations and don’t let your guests answer” 201?

Has Shuster done a single ounce of research on what La Raza stands for? No. He, like so many other talking heads, is a mental midget.

cannonball on May 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Well said SteveMG.

dakine on May 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Why tancredo goes on the MSNBC show is a mystery to me. They are ambushes in waiting.

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I’m giving you a hard time. Too soon?

Alex K on May 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Once he’s done making his O’Reilly Voodoo Doll, it’ll be proper time.

blatantblue on May 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I have personally dealt with La Raza demonstrations. I was at the Anti Johnny Sutton rally in San Antonio a while back and those racist bastards were across the road yelling at us and claiming that “we will get what is coming”. They are not about “the community” the are about “the race.” They want Aztlan.

Shuster the apoligist hates conservatrives more than he hates racists. Sad.

cannonball on May 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

On what points does the blogger disagree with the shameless lefty hack?

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Riiiight. So Tancredo is the bad guy here, eh?
Okay. What if I made the following statement?

“We need to eliminate the journalists working in the MSM — and what I mean by that, is that we have to kill them. We have to kill ALL of them. Furthermore, we should NEVER apologize for killing them or for advocating their demise.”

Would I get an award for saying THAT?

/sarcasm off

My collie says:

What are the chances, CC, that Bill O’Reilly will make your comment famous on The Factor?

We can only HOPE that he’ll take it out of context, collie.

CyberCipher on May 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Once again Tom hit back and hits back hard.
I certainly wish more pols had his style of shutting the damn talking head down when he interupts and talks over people.
Score for Tom for speaking the truth. Score for Tom for snarking Shuster’s stupid framing of Tancredo’s answers and comments.

katy on May 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Alex K on May 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

What exactly did Tancredo say that you think is so incriminating? He compared one race based hate organization to another. The only difference is one was white(evil) and one was Hispanic(good).

DFCtomm on May 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Tancredo is awesome. Not a politically correct bone in his body.

Not the most articulate guy in the world though.

therightwinger on May 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

You hurt my feelings AP. I like to think of Hot Air as a gathering place. It’s a gathering place someone else owns, and pays the light bill, but a gathering place non the less.

DFCtomm on May 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

He compared one race based hate organization to another

The KKK terrorized hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of black and Catholic and Jewish Americans for neary a half century. Killed thousands more.

It’s absurd to compare La Raza with that organization.

Just absurd.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

It’s absurd to compare La Raza with that organization.

Note: the fact that I think the comparison is odious doesn’t mean I think La Raza is just a peachy keen organization with wonderful views.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I know a lot of people were attacking Tom Tancredo about comparing La Raza to the KKK. You know what, when Tom Tancredo tries to explain why he said that, when he tries to give a very valid example of this racist liberal leaning hate group, Teabagger Shuster cuts him off.
And then, you have this old hag wanting to discuss Sotomayor’s ‘qualifications’. Well, let’s see, obama didn’t want the best qualified candidate for SCOTUS. He wanted someone that hit every liberal ‘love point’ in one person, and he got it, she is a former welfare rat, she is brown, she is a woman……and she is affiliated with one of his favorite groups, La Raza. The Race….racist.
‘Oh, and I want to be fair?’ David Shuster, you sir, are a brown stained tool.

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

It’s absurd to compare La Raza with that organization.

Just absurd.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

The nazi’s slaughtered 20 times what the KKK did but conservatives have this word thrown at them continously.
If one is a valid comparision then so is this.
You take offense way to easy . Go change your panties.
Politics is war by other means and hyperbole is a part of it.

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Riiiight. So Tancredo is the bad guy here, eh?
Okay. What if I made the following statement?

Would I get an award for saying THAT?

/sarcasm off

My collie says:

We can only HOPE that he’ll take it out of context, collie.

CyberCipher on May 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Why not, they gave an award to the dumbest bimbo on network television, Perky Katie Couric for destroying Sarah.

My domestic shorthair feline says: After she is finished licking her butt, she would like to have some words with your collie. My feline does not allow that bloviating gasbag, bill o’ reilly, on our television. She wants to know if your collie would like to come over and watch a show about Korean cuisine?

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

If one is a valid comparision then so is this.
You take offense way to easy . Go change your panties.
Politics is war by other means and hyperbole is a part of it.

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Name a Democratic Congressman who called Republicans Nazis. Should be lots and lots of examples considering it has happened “continuously”.

crr6 on May 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM

So the fact that some on the left calls us Nazis means it’s okay for Tancredo to use the same type of irresponsible language?

I don’t understand the point.

It’s wrong for them and it’s wrong for us.

It’s just wrong. Period.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I don’t understand the point.

It’s wrong for them and it’s wrong for us.

It’s just wrong. Period.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM

This is the worlds smallest violin playing for you David Brooks. Can you hear it?
Rock a bye baby WA WA Wa

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Rock a bye baby WA WA Wa

Well, as the music is playing you can respond to my point.

That is, if you can.

Again, comparing La Raza – an organization with many dangerous views – with an organization that terrorized thousands of innocent people for almost 60 years is just absurd.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

crr6 on May 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Who said I was talking about Democratic congressman moron.
MSNBC was the topic. And do your on goggling you whiny bitch

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

It’s absurd to compare La Raza with that organization.

Just absurd.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

You intentionally distort Tancredo’s quote. He said KKK without the hoods and nooses. What the hell is so hard to understand about this? He was talking about the element of racism. KKK was racist. The Race is racist. Without hoods and nooses, no other comparison was made.

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Again I have answered, just because your stupid to get it is not my problem.
You say its wrong, I say necessary. You are not the final judge. Just because you say it is absurd does not make it so.
It’s called free speech, get used to it and Tancredo is entitled to it to

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM

It’s absurd to compare La Raza with that organization.

Just absurd.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

You haven’t been in South Central Los Angeles, lately have you.

Kjeil on May 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

He said KKK without the hoods and nooses

The KKK without the hoods and nooses is not the KKK. His analogy is so sloppy that he had to, in effect, completely change the KKK.

All he needed to do – since many American don’t know much about La Raza – is to cite their ugly views. And they have some ugly ones.

Let the viewer make the judgement.

What happened here is that instead of making Judge Sontamayor defend her views and have the discussion about her, Shuster was able to make Tancredo and his comments the topic.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

You haven’t been in South Central Los Angeles, lately have you.

La Raza is lynching and raping Americans in South Central?

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM

It’s called free speech, get used to it and Tancredo is entitled to it to

Nowhere did I say Tancredo didn’t have the right to say what he did.

I want to win the argument against the left.

We’re not winning it with this approach.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

And once they make their determination is it alright if they discuss it with others, or is it a secret?

FloatingRock on May 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM

The KKK without the hoods and nooses is not the KKK.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Then what the hell are you complaining about?

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Nowhere did I say Tancredo didn’t have the right to say what he did.

I want to win the argument against the left.

We’re not winning it with this approach.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Point taken. We don’t seem to be winning with the talk nice strategy either.
Another day another thread

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Tanc is the man. He couldn’t care less about being PC, and I love him for that. He’s absolutely right in everything he’s said in this interview. He calls Shuster out on his ridiculous assertions and stands firmly by what he’s said.

Get this man back in public office.

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Then what the hell are you complaining about?

Tancredo’s so incapable of making his point that the only analogy he could think of is the KKK.

Great, that’s going to win folks over.

I think some people would rather blow up the building than winning the game.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:28 PM

No. His analogy was the KKK without the hoods and nooses, i.e., a bunch of racists. You can keep offending yourself with that partial quote, but that’s not Tancredo’s fault.

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I will say one last thing to consider
You simply can not let your opponent control the terms and boundaries of the debate.
It is a guranteed loser everytime.
We constantly let the left get away with making the most outrageous slanders and then the minute we try to defend ourselves we get attacked not only by them but people on our side.
Crazy.

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Apparently Tancredo’s Ex Director of his PAC has some explaining to do.

He sounds mighty creepy, he called the lady the N word, and Tancredo has the nerve to even mention the KKK?

Please, another hypocrite big-time.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM

What’s Shuster using on his hair these days… shoe polish?

greggriffith on May 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Get this man back in public office.

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

As what – Grand Dragon??

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM

How can two people be one hypocrite?

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Please, another hypocrite big-time.

I’m going to defend Tancredo. How in the hell is he responsible for the alleged actions of a former director of his PAC?

That’s absurd.

Are you accountable for the actions of your tax preparer? Or tax accountant?

You’re smearing him.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Nowhere did I say Tancredo didn’t have the right to say what he did.

I want to win the argument against the left.

We’re not winning it with this approach.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Especially when the head of your Team America PAC calls a woman a n**ger on a DC street in front of the Secret Service and then karate chops her in the head to boot.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

AprilOrit is a troll, and links to the libel blog, LGF, which smears conservatives including Michelle Malkin.

I’ll go against my normal rule of not feeding trolls with this question: Since you’re making the assertion he could be a “grand dragon,” how exactly is anything Tancredo said racist?

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Speak for yourself, I’ve been around her longer than you and LGF is hardly a liberal blog. You’re a filthy liar.

A Tancredo worshipper, what a real troll.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Still, the question remains. If you’re comfortable calling Tancredo a “grand dragon,” what bothers you about the way he described The Race?

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Incapable of differentiating between libel and liberal? Although indeed, it is liberal as well.

Please answer my question regarding something specific Tancredo said that was racist in that interview. After all, according to you he should be a grand dragon.

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

brogers says,

Hi I’m a loon who automatically calls anyone a troll who points out something I can’t handle…like the truth.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Who is Schuster anyhow? Never heard of him.

suzyk on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Wiki:ex-congressman Susan Monlinari

“In 2006, Molinari’s firm received $300,062 from home mortgage giant Freddie Mac to lobby on their behalf.

Veddy interesting.

captivated_dem on May 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Read my comment, I was referring to the head of his PAC. Why would Tom Tacredo have someone like that running his PAC? The guy was arrested by the Secret Service and charged with a hate crime.

I find it ironic that Tom Tancredo can use the term KKK so freely – spitting out his words like a malfunctioning Pez Dispenser – when the head of his PAC called an innocent bystander a n**ger and karate chopped her in the head…it’s absurd.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Read my comment, I was referring to the head of his PAC.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Get this man back in public office.

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 8:27 PM

As what – Grand Dragon??

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM

So, if you’re comfortable calling Tancredo (or anyone) a “grand dragon,” what bothers you about the way Tancredo described The Race? He used an even softer analogy than you did.

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Yeah, that’s about right, April. And she NEVER shuts up! She’s like Crapulus lite.

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Ronnie on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I’ve given up on expecting a straight answer regarding the implication that Tanc should be a grand dragon.

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM

What I find ironic is complaining about Tanc throwing out KKK when referring to La Raza, and then invoking the KKK (grand dragon comment) to insult him.

Do you realize how absurd you are?

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Do you realize how absurd you are?

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Did anyone from The Race call someone a white dumb-ass cracker and karate chop them in the head in earshot of the Secret Service on a DC street?

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM

La Raza is lynching and raping Americans in South Central?

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM

If they were, the MSM wouldn’t report it.

Ugly on May 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Do you realize how absurd you are?

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Did I say Grand Dragon?

Aw gee, I’m sorry, I meant to say Imperial Wizard.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Did you NOT listen to the clip? Were you too busy admiring the way Shuster was trying to talk over his guest? Go back and listen to what Tom is saying about the man that received an award and that ‘man’ said. Geez, really are a piece of work.

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM

“we have got to kill the gringo, and what I mean by that is if the worst comes to worst, we have got to kill him.”

This is from José Angel Gutiérrez, winner of the Chicano Hero Award from La Raza.

Of course Tanc stated this in the interview that is posted above. Instead of listening and then deciding, it appears you’ve made a judgment based off a smear from LGF.

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM

SteveMG, he said without the nooses. In other words the hate, supremacy, and political action without the violence.

- The Cat

P.S. This makes me start to take Tancredo seriously.

MirCat on May 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

P.S. He should have said something to the effect, “They can spin it all they want but your Spanish speakers know the translation.”

MirCat on May 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Do you realize how absurd you are?

brogers on May 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Did I say Grand Dragon?

Aw gee, I’m sorry, I meant to say Imperial Wizard.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

There you go again.

Shut up and slink back to LGF.

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Spanish Speaking viewers even

MirCat on May 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I am so sick of this hand wringing crap about “winning folks over”. Stand up for what you believe, state your views plainly and without concern for political correctness, people can take it. Jeez. The other side sure as hell says whatever they want.

echosyst on May 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM

They need a new David Shuster dummy. Whoever has his hand in the back can’t seem to make the mouth movement look natural, or intelligent.

Star20 on May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Why does Schuster say “Sotomayor” like “sodomyer”?

Creepy.

nickj116 on May 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I love Tancredo. I would take a thousand Tancredos over these moderate, appeasing turds in the Republican party. His platform is 100% conservative. There is really nothing that I can disagree with that he says. It’s a shame he’s not a slick speaker as that is what seems to get respect nowadays. Sad.

mrsmwp on May 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

There you go again.

Shut up and slink back to LGF.

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Oh I get it, you guys suddenly hate LGF and Charles because he called out the Nirthers…hmmm, so predictable you all are.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Weren’t you a big Huckabee supporter or do I have you mixed up with another poster ?

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I have no sympathy for Tancredo or any other Republican politician appearing on MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC or CNN and being clobbered by a lib host. Because they know damn well that these networks are liberal to the core and hostile to anything republican or even remotely conservative. But they go on these lib shows believing that if they trash Cheney plus Rush Limbaugh and his evil conservative radio talk show hosts buddies they will convince the so-called moderates to join them in their “big tent”.
So the goal is not winning arguements with lib hosts. The goal is to prove to so-called moderates that they are truly “compassionate conservatives”.

RMR on May 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Answer ?
Charles would want to know so he could call you a crazy creationist

kangjie on May 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I’m neither a creationist nor a Nirther but I still think you’ve been acting like a troll. Even your post above that I quoted, you say we’re “all” predictable, which clearly demonstrates your bias against HotAir, making you a bligot… a blog-bigot. Not that you’d care, also being a troll and all.

FloatingRock on May 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM

“. . .here is a woman whose life story should be celebrated”

Clearly, Susan Molinaro was a recipient of the Sotomayor talking points memo. If I got a dollar for every time that phrase was repeated since Sotomayor’s nomination, my lifetime carbon footprint would be paid for.

A couple of days ago, Sean Hannity opened his radio broadcast with a recorded loop of all the msm pundits using the exact same characterizations. Who needs a teleprompter when everyone in msm has obviously been dictated the script?

My faith in Tancredo is solid as ever. No apology. Yay Tancredo!

Molinaro the laughing Rhino from the blue state of NY. NY could do much better.

heroyalwhyness on May 29, 2009 at 11:23 PM

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Personally, no. Click my nick. View it.

Then go to LGF and you’ll find my site listed under ‘The Black Day’.

I may not agree with anything anyone does. But I stand by this: I’ll never forget, and God Bless Charles for keeping that link.

If anyone doubts it is my site, email the owner.

Ugly on May 29, 2009 at 11:40 PM

No, mine is correct. You wouldn’t say, “HotAir.com is I,” would you?

Only because it isn’t true. But Michelle could say it and it would be both factually and gramatically correct.

The word “is” (the present-tense, third-person singular form of “be”) is what grammarians call a “linking verb”. It does not take a direct object, but a “predicate nominative”. Therefore, in the form “A is B”, both A and B should be in nominative case (“I” rather than “me”). Furthermore, when listing two or more nouns/pronouns joined by “and” or “or”, the preferred order is second person, third person, first person.

Lorien is therefore absolutely correct to say that the preferred way to express your thought is “HotAir.com is Ed, Michelle and I.” (although I might have named Michelle first, since she’s the owner of the site).

However, the phrasing “It is I” is seen as uncool, so people are accustomed to “it is me” (or more likely “it’s me”), to the point where the gramatically correct form now seems strange.

But the point that you and Ed seem to be arguing is even more nitpicky than what we Grammar Nazis are saying.

Ed has declared that “post” refers to what you, he, Michelle, the Green Room contributors and the occasional guest bloggers do when you create a new article. I say that the word “post” refers both to the articles you post, and to the comments the rest of us post in response. I have lost track of the times I’ve seen commenters on blogs refer to another comment with “nice post”, “great post”, etc. Even today, when complaining about BoR on TEMS, Ed used the word “post” to describe commenting on a web site.

You need to stop trying to restrictively define “post” to only mean what you do at the top of the page, and instead attack O’Reilly for using ambiguous language that fails to make the distinction between the views expressed by HotAir.com staff and those expressed by mere commenters. What Bill did was sloppy, and even misleading, but it wasn’t an inaccurate use of the term “post”.

The Monster on May 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM