Patterico’s new O’Reilly Factor fun

posted at 8:46 am on May 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, Bill O’Reilly offered a non-apology apology, as Glenn Reynolds put it, for smearing our site.  O’Reilly explained that he was forced into smearing us because we don’t spend our entire day reading comments instead of writing, unlike the responsible folks at his offices, who apparenly police their site in order to make sure that nothing appears on his site that Bill doesn’t personally approve.

That’s absurd, for all the reasons that Allahpundit explained last night, but Patterico decided to put that claim to the test.  He signed up for the O’Reilly Factor membership and started perusing their site.  He found a couple of examples of Bill O’Reilly’s endorsed political stands (according to the standards he applied to Hot Air, of course).  For instance, Bill apparently stands by the accusation that Mary Cheney commits bestiality:

How does Mary Cheney getting married hurt anyone?

How does Mary Cheney getting married to a goat hurt anyone?

Just an example here Chase, don’t get all bent out of shape just because it’s against your morality to marry a goat…………….

It’s right there on his website, after all. That website has Bill O’Reilly’s name on it.  According to Bill O’Reilly Standards and Practices, that means he endorses it.

What else does Bill O’Reilly endorse?  This looks rather ugly:

NO HOMOS NO HOMOS now will the League arrest me for my right wing statement, perhaps i will be taken off the New Yuk slimes CHRISTMAS card list. what you do or dont do in your bed room is none of my business just dont tell me I am wrong if i say NO MARRIAGE FOR HOMOS NO MARRIAGE FOR HOMOS. Hay maybe you can have a vote and lose and have the courts overturn your vote. Well that cant happen in AMERICA now can it.

to any one whos name begins with an R REMEMBER NO MARRIAGE FOR HOMOS. Awaits to knock on the door from the lack of free speech AG. AND janet baby

Sounds like O’Reilly likes a little hate speech, too!  This has been Bill O’Reilly’s personally approved website for almost a week.  The commenter who wrote it has almost 2,000 comments already on Bill O’Reilly’s website.

What about it, Bill?  Will you stand by these statements and take responsibility for them?  After all, you have a lot more staff than we do here at Hot Air, and you’re the one setting the standards on national TV.  Either explain these entries on your own site by standing by their content, or feel free to offer the real apology you should have offered us last night.  After all, that’s why you have a comments disclaimer on your site — just as we do on ours.

Patterico has the screenshots.  He also has plenty of time and an inclination to keep digging.  Be sure to keep up with him, and drop a few bucks in the tipjar to help him defray the expense.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

O’Reilly is nothing but a populist ratings whore with an enormous id and an inability to control his phone sex urges.

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM

+111

Jaibones on May 29, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Michelle has enough allies on other shows (Fox & Friends, Cavuto, and Beck) to where she can hit O’Reilly on-air and get away with it. M-Kat cannot. Doing so would be the end of her careers on FoxNews.

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Why doesn’t someone give M-Kat some more independence? She’d be great on a show or at least being used more as a “contributor.” Very intelligent and cool headed.

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Okay, O’Reilly attacks Hot Air, Hot Air replies, Patterico jumps in, Hot Air reports, Instapundit comments…it, it, it’s a Stacey McCain strategy to get a lot of hits.

Now O’Reilly (who is probably mimicing his new buddy Glenn Beck’s brewhaha with Lizoid Johnson) has to figure out how to respond to the Patterico challenge.

All in all quite the circle of love!

Mr. Joe on May 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM

What that lesson should teach all of HotAir’s commenters is that, in some way, what you write here does reflect on the site as a whole. Just be careful.

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I agree with you on this statement. We are guests here and what we say does reflect on the larger commuity as a whole.

I do still have an issue with the comment in question. If I wanted to find something offensive someone on this site said about Obama, I could have done much better than that. Using the mans middle name against him? Give me a break. How does that compare to some of the junk huffpo and kos kids called Bush fo rthe last eight years?

conservnut on May 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Have you seen Dick Morris? Something seems fake about his face too…
Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Bad botox. He’s in serious need of new hairpiece too. And a little Jenny Craig wouldn’t hurt either.

Knucklehead on May 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Have you seen Dick Morris? Something seems fake about his face too…
Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Knucklehead on May 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM

+10 :)

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I didn’t like what happened with Geraldo Riviera’s comments about Michelle Malkin. The apology he gave then took back, and this is more of the same slanted bias. Geraldo is on Bill O’Reilly’s program all the time. Bill O’Reilly made a choice and it has been noted by the viewing audience. This does give Hot Air prime time attention however on The Factor – that has the largest prime time audience:)

Dr Evil on May 29, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:45 AM

It takes a long time to build a television career. M-Kat is my age (29) and very early in her career. If you look at the bios of most Fox personalities, you’ll see they spent YEARS as on-air personalities in local TV markets, then were general assignment reporters with cable nets, then overnight anchors, etc.

She’s a weekly guest and is put opposite Juan Williams, who has had a 30+ year career in print and broadcast journalism, on the most watched cable news network in the world. That’s pretty good for someone who isn’t even 30.

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 9:49 AM

O’Reilly is a putz.

ctmom on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 AM

For the Liberal Nitwits of America, who offer up as irrefutable evidence of Dear Leader’s Incomprehensible Brilliance the fact that he gained entrance to Harvard Law by Divine Affirmative Action (God thought he belonged there) and that he was voted Editor of the Law Review (cue choir of angels) – I give you Harvard’s Pride and Joy, Bill “Loofa Boy” O’Reilly.

Next.

Jaibones on May 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Jesus Christ what is the country coming to when people are afraid to speak their minds? God help us. It’s getting worse everyday.

I for one subscribe to WEEI’s famous disclaimer:

“The views expressed on the whiner line aren’t necessarily the views of the Big Show and staff or WEEI in general. Don’t blame us for what these nitwits say. Hey, they don’t speak for us.”

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Bill O’Rielly is a popinjay.

RadioFreeUSA on May 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I do still have an issue with the comment in question. If I wanted to find something offensive someone on this site said about Obama, I could have done much better than that. ***
conservnut on May 29, 2009 at 9:46 AM

You’re absolutely right. The comment was mild. The truth is, there aren’t very many offensive comments on HotAir, because it’s a well-managed site and Allah and Ed do a good job of weeding out the bad apples. What most likely happened was an O’Reilly producer decided to target HotAir, and trolled the comment sections looking for something to use, and that comment was the only one he could find. That is what makes the slam against HotAir an unfair smear, and not the fact that a comment was confused with a post.

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Bill O’Rielly is a popinjay.

RadioFreeUSA on May 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM

In truth, he’s a populist demagogue control freak who, if given the opportunity, would be a nasty totalitarian.

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 9:55 AM

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 9:55 AM

He’d police the sexting… then if caught, you’d be forced to sext BOR ;)

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Not really sure… My understanding is some of it is taped. I know a lot is pre-discussed.

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:41 AM

It’s “live to tape.” Just like the late night TV shows. So, it is filmed live, but they are able to cut/edit stuff.

DO IT LIVE BILLY, DO IT LIVE!

Joe Caps on May 29, 2009 at 9:58 AM

saw the original slam on BO’R and while the post from Free Republic was a little over the edge, the post from Hot Air was hardly threatening. It called Barack “Hussein”. OOOOOOO, that’s really ugly.
stenwin77 on May 29, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Barack Hussein Obama II (pronounced /bəˈrɑːk huːˈseɪn oʊˈbɑːmə/; born August 4, 1961) is the 44th and current President of the United States.

Johan Klaus on May 29, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Bill O’Reilly is not as net-savy as he should be. I doubt that he understands much about the inner workings of his own site, much less how the myriad entities within the blogosphere operate.

I expect BO is going to get a lesson. I do not expect it will be a lesson in humility.

Yoop on May 29, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Do it live Bill, do it live!

Do not freak out Bill!

Mr. Joe on May 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM

You are probably right. Is the whole show taped or are parts of it live?

conservnut on May 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Isn’t it taped around 5PM?

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I just don’t understand why BOR didn’t personally monitor each post on his website… I guess he was too busy writing those books that outsell Ann Coulter…

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Isn’t it taped around 5PM?

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I’d heard something like that. Really don’t know.

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Do it live Bill, do it live!

Do not freak out Bill!

Mr. Joe on May 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Something O’Reilly was personally responsible for… Hmmm…

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I have been perusing Hotair for over a year now, and their comments don’t come close to those on the Dailykos, Huffingtonpoo. I think OReilly sometimes tries to be too “balanced”.. I also have to say that WE do not have to make the snide personal attacks, that has been the lefts mode of operation for YEARS.. If all else fails, slander them… We don’t have to do that.

reshas1 on May 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I gave up on O’Rielly years ago. We have only ourselves to blame because Conservatives watch him. It’s only because there’s nothing else to watch in terms of politics on cable at that hour of the day.

RadioFreeUSA on May 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM

While I do not agree with Bill O on this issue I will say he has a lot better news show than his competition on the other networks.

Dire Straits on May 29, 2009 at 10:09 AM

B.O. stinks.

EnochCain on May 29, 2009 at 10:12 AM

At the risk of beating a dead horse, O’Reilly is a pompous fool who has sold out to Obama so he can continue to make his mega-millions.

He has a few conservative positions, but at heart he is a populist…and he hates business, so he is probably a not-so-secret socialist as well.

Maybe the best explanation for him is that he is a paid rabble-rouser. That’s probably why he admires Obama so much.

notagool on May 29, 2009 at 10:12 AM

He is a wishy washy little punk who’s time is coming to an end.

EnochCain on May 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Have you seen Dick Morris? Something seems fake about his face too…

“I do not trust Dick Morris. Period.”

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM

The point is this – Dick Morris is always wrong.

AprilOrit on May 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Patterico rocks!

Bob's Kid on May 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM

RadioFreeUSA on May 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Same here. I gave up on him when he turned on Iraq. He got me back briefly just in time to hear him demagogue oil prices and the free market. After that, he lost me forever. He’s done a great deal of harm to the free market system with his conspiracy theories. I rather watch re-runs of MASH than to watch him.

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Bill O’Reilly- B.O.

Barack Obama- B.O.

Hmmmmm….. has anyopne ever seen them together?

profitsbeard on May 29, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I run a blog for a college team and just dealing with 100-200 comments per day is tough enough to keep an eye on. I do have a few ground rules and mostly my regular readers follow it but with the traffic and comments Hot Air gets there is no way Ed and Allah can watch everything that goes by. It is really up to the community to police itself and report things that might be over the line when it happens.

tarheelcon on May 29, 2009 at 10:19 AM

This looks rather ugly:

Not really.

Darth Executor on May 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Oh, and he can quote me.

EnochCain on May 29, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I too agree.

Just reading through some of the comments here, some of you are getting a bit personal about O’Reilly. If you can’t make an argument without getting personal, then perhaps you shouldn’t make it at all.

Also, using Obama’s middle name shouldn’t be a big deal, but it is and most of you know that. None of the comments that are posted here affect us personally, but they can and do affect Michelle, Ed and whomever AP is. Everyone should be conscience of that.

moonsbreath on May 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM

moonsbreath on May 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Then again maybe Bill is just a weenie.

EnochCain on May 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Can someone point me to the original post in question?

That BOR doesn’t “get it” is of no surprise to me.

I predict, however, a full mea culpa-type apology on tonight’s show.

toenail on May 29, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Yes, we certainly don’t want to be shown as in the “wrong light”.
We must be careful, for one false move and fingers will point at us.
Only fools and the easily manipulated think the way you think…Michelle is careful about what she writes, and they still misrepresent, take things out of context…O’R even has “professional commentators” on who would like to spit in her face.
Here is a hint….don’t cater to the left, it won’t get you anywhere.

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 10:45 AM

O’Reilly lost me last summer when he whined INCESSANTLY about how no one in the government personally told HIM how his investments could lose money and because no one in the government personally told him that his investments could lose money then the government was at fault for him losing money! Never mind that he is supposedly a “trained journalist” with access to staff and research and yada yada – he needed someone in the government to personally tell him that investments were risky!

Everything that O’Reilly does is all about O’Reilly! That is the only thing that drives him and that is why he lost this conserative…..

LL

Lady Logician on May 29, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Awesome.

OneGyT on May 29, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Bill just called Michelle to apologize. I hope he’s OK. He was breathing very heavily.

marklmail on May 29, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I still think, however, that either Ed or AP or Michelle (or all of the above) should take a break from the “sometimes things slip through” lines and start sticking up for the comment. Is “Hussein” really such a low and hateful thing to say that it would warrant mention if it actually was a blog post? I don’t think so. As I said on the apology thread, I don’t agree with people’s use of it, but that doesn’t mean it should be bannable or anything of the sort. Someone should make that clear instead of just pointing out that HotAir doesn’t stand by all its comments.

OneGyT on May 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Mr. O leans right but his ego can definately get in the way. I used to listen to him when in my car and watch his show on Fox but I just got tired of his ego. Rush has a big ego but he jokes about it Bill O’Reilly wants everyone to know that he is the smartest guy ever and is very serious about it.

Vince on May 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Unfortunately for HotAir, O’Reilly is now going to quote the above quote and say that you guys endorse “NO HOMOS NO HOMOS.”

Oh, and he’ll also quote me quoting you quoting his commenter. Awesome.

Cuffy Meigs on May 29, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Upstater85 on May 29, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I just don’t understand why he claimed his staff does. And I don’t see him giving back any of the money those guys pay every month to post that stuff.

Jim Treacher on May 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I watch BOR for some of his guests, when he lets them talk. Basically, he doesn’t need guests, since he hardly shuts up long enough to let them respond. I don’t like a lot of the regular segments he has on, particularly Geraldo, who I refuse to watch. I totally agree that he bends over backwards to be so “fair and balanced” he lets Obama get by with a lot. Months ago when we all knew Obama was associated with Acorn(heck, didn’t we all know that back early in the campaign?), Bill was in denial about it. I hadn’t heard about the Bill/Beck/Acorn deal, but Bill will sabotage Beck before he lets him catch him in ratings. He had Beck on one night and actually took credit for his success at Fox. It seems like a night or two ago when Morris was on, he got on to Bill for stealing his information to use on his opening monologue, and Bill sorta laughed it off. Bill does take on a lot of big issues that I give him credit for, such as the NY Times, MSNBC and the MSM in general, plus a lot of social issues. I still watch, but it is getting harder.

silvernana on May 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

He’s actually rather dim.

Cuffy Meigs on May 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

BOR and Patterico in a contest to see which is the bigger Politically Correct, Uber-Sensitive Caring Male Faux-Republican jacksnipe? Let ‘em split that award.

whatcat on May 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Oh we SO need to get a Hot Air pool going on whether or not O’Reilly addresses this tonight, or just ignores it all.

Heck, I’d be in for $1 on the former, just to be against what would likely be the favorite.

Hawkins1701 on May 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM

OneGyT on May 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Going by the Rahm-Carville guidelines for what weak-kneed nominal-GOPers are allowed to say, it is. I suspect those not in that camp are not crying themselves to sleep everynight over it. Anyone who does get their giblets in an uproar over seeing something that’s not PC needs to either get off the internet or get a life. (or both)

Such needless silliness.

whatcat on May 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

OneGyT on May 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Call O’Reilly! Someone said our President was ‘low and hateful!’

James on May 29, 2009 at 11:34 AM

He never smeared HotAir! I mean, guys, you look foolish claiming he did. He never said ANYTHING negative about this website. He shared ONE comment and then said the person posting must not be living in the US because Sotomayor will definitely get through.

We all know you’re obsessed with O’Reilly because he didn’t publicly behead Geraldo and defile his corpse on national TV for his comment about Michelle, but seriously?

He had nothing to apologize for, because that is not a smear on any level.

Also, Patterico’s post makes little sense. Bill specifically said that ALL sites have comments like these that make it through, even on his very own. So, I’m not even sure what his point is. Some negative comments made it to Bill’s site. Gasp! Damn him for trying to hide that fact by openly admitting it to 3 million people!

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Come on. People use his middle name like that as a scare tactic to make him seem menacing in some manner. The commenter didn’t just use it because he didn’t know his first or last name! Are you guys kidding me? I don’t like Obama anymore than most others here, but let’s be fair.

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Whoa, calm down folks! This is starting to sound like an O’Reilly lynch mob! So success got to his head, he’s human after all! Give him a chance to make amends and own up to his frailties, and to the injustice done to MM and HA.

And then pounce!

stonemeister on May 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM

O’Reilly prides himself on being fair and balanced, when in fact, he appears weak. He prides himself on not using the net, when in fact, he appears ignorant. He is blinded by his ego.
As for Amanda, she was most likely caught off guard. I don’t think she set out to smear Hot Air. Give her a break.

Mott on May 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I actually agree. But what I’m saying is, is it really that horrible? It’s as harmless as any nickname, and it doesn’t have near the same quality as calling Bush “Hitler” because it is in fact part of his name, it’s not meant to compare him to Saddam. Petty, sure – but hateful? Disgusting? Give me a break!

OneGyT on May 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Man….you really don’t get it, do you?

I’ll…try….to explain it to you…AGAIN….how it IS a smear to attribute a blog COMMENT to the ACTUAL AUTHORS of the blog….You know, when they DIDN’T WRITE the COMMENT….

You just don’t seem to understand the concept.

Rewatch the tape. He never said “This was a comment on HotAir.com.

He said, and I quote, “This is FROM HotAir.com.”

Without clarification, a reasonable minded person would conclude that he was referring to whomever WRITES AT HOTAIR.COM.

Bill then added insult to injury with a backhanded “apology” that sanctimoniously (lying on top of it) applied standards to HotAir.com that are impossible to meet, and that Patterico has demonstrated that BillOReilly.com itself fails to meet. Abysmally.

Bill goes on air and says that he has his staff monitor the message boards of his website, when, um, on the site itself, it says the EXACT OPPOSITE. He’s either lying or he’s just that out of touch with his own operation.

For those of us living in the real world, this is called smearing, and then refusing to own up to it while telling falsehoods in the process.

………….

Do you GET IT now?

Hawkins1701 on May 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM

OneGyT on May 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I don’t think he said it was hateful or disgusting. It is childish though…it’s a way to belittle the guy by attacking his name instead of attacking his ideas or policies. I think that sort of stuff should be left to the loony kos-kids.

Definitely not the same as the left’s vile comments about Bush calling him Hitler, a terrorist, evil, chimp, etc. No doubt about that aspect of it.

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

In the ‘middle names’ department, for 8 years we had to put up with ‘Dubya’ being used as an accusation of stupidity. I don’t see why using the next guy’s middle name is suddenly out of bounds.

James on May 29, 2009 at 11:54 AM

The text said a blog posting. A comment is definitely a posting on a blog. You’re arguing semnatics. OReilly doesn’t direct the show, he doesn’t technical direct the show, and he doesn’t do the graphics. Besides- they were specifically having a conversation about blog comments in the segment. And, the fact is- he never even attacked the comment or HotAir. He just said the person posting the comment must not be living in the US if he thinks Sotomayor won’t get confirmed.

If OReilly and Carpenter have a conversation pertaining specifically to comments, one can easily deduce the HotAir snippet was a comment. Also tack on the fact that OReilly himself has said he doesn’t visit blogs personally, which is why he has an internet “expert” on to discuss these issues.

He did no such thing. He specifically said that comments will ALWAYS get through on every site, and he specifically stated his own site was no exception.

The site says that some material they can’t be responsible for. That’s not an admission that they don’t filter comment, because they obviously do. That’s simple legal stuff that is there to protect the site from any legal trouble arising from such content. Most sites have the same notice.

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Morissey’s point is good, but it’s too bad he chose a disinguous means to make it.

The first quote does not accuse Cheney of bestiality, it merely asks whether she has the right to be engage in it and have it recognized as marriage.

The second comment is stupid and badly written, but hate speech? Come on.

If you’re going to be dishonest Morissy, then what’s the point?

Gaunilon on May 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM

O’Reilly has done some good things like going after pedophiles, and countries that slime our country and the military. He goes ballistic over the state of Vermont when it comes to their overall attitudes towards people who without question abuse children. For these things Bill deserves huge kudos, and I hope he keeps up the work.

However, when it comes to being fair with Conservatives or what he calls, “the far Right”, he totally misses the boat, or the entire planet for that matter. O’Reilly constantly compares HA or some other site like HA to the DailyKos. That is outrageous! There is nothing on HA which remotely comes close to the hatred spewed on Kos. NOTHING! Surely in the vast space of the internet O’Reilly and his crack staff, (LOL!), can find some other site which is a better equivalent to the Kos!

An example of O’Reilly being one sided is when he constantly suggests Obama is smart and since he met and interviewed the man; O’Reilly fiercely defends Obama’s intellect, and some of Obama’s policies. This I find rather bizarre, because if anyone has read Obama’s books, blurbs for Ayers’ books, or just anything the man has said when not on teleprompter- well you sort of come to the conclusion Obama is not the intellectual giant many claim he is. There is a whole website which once was devoted to the insane stuff the man said during the election. Zip, zero, nada from O’Reilly and staff. And based on what can we say Obama is such a brain? None of his college or law school grades have been released to date, and Obama’s ideologies and philosophy are rehashed 20th century fascism which is proven not to work unless one wants to live in China or Russia. How is that reflective of someone being intelligent O’Reilly?

As I have said before, O’Reilly and his staff seem less than quick on retrieving or researching many an issue on the internet that HA, MM, Ace, RedState, or other websites/blogsites have explored, and found worthy of passing along to the public. This is especially true when it came to ACORN and the various questionable connections like Rezko and Khalidi that O’Reilly did not go into more than just a brief mention. Dittos to the Raila Odinga connection in Kenya! The various comments made in CA regarding shutting down the coal industry, and taxing electricity to oblivion got very little attention via the No Spin Zone. How about all those small donors and tons of fake names and addresses Mrs. Malkin and others found alarming and need of much scrutiny? None of this was not spinning in the no spin zone.

What is really going to be interesting is to see how much time O’Reilly is going to spend on Eric Holder dismissing the investigation into the new Black Panther Party voter intimidation in PA. Wonder how much time this move is going to receive? And the FEC dismissing the ACORN voter violations? What about this new Internet Czar move? And the list goes on, and on as to much that is reported here on HA and other sites who are doing the heavy lifting when it comes to reporting what is REALLY taking place in this formerly free country once called America.

freeus on May 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM

James on May 29, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I suggest that you may be drinking the wrong brand of Kool-ade. Try different flavors.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Play Bill off, keyboard cat!

Blacklake on May 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Yes, we certainly don’t want to be shown as in the “wrong light”. We must be careful, for one false move and fingers will point at us. *** O’R got sucked in by the left…plus he hammers dKos so he has to be “fair and balanced” so he had to exaggerate to be “fair and balanced”…and you fell for it.
right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 10:45 AM

The “Hussein” stuff is inflammatory and tired. So when you use it, even if you’re trying to be funny or cute, it can be used against you by the other side.

Yes, anything you say can and will be spun by the other side. All I’m saying is be careful so you don’t make it too easy for them to do it to you.

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Oh, it didn’t happen? Wow, that’s a relief. I feel so much better now.

James on May 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM

TheBlueSite on May 29, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I don’t know what video you’re watching.

It’s not the same video the rest of us are watching.

Might want to check your internet. It seems to be feeding you only what you want to see.

Right there, plain as rain, in the video, it says underneath the COMMENT in question:

HOTAIR.COM BLOG POSTING

Re-watch the first video.

He never uses the word COMMENT.

Not once.

A comment is definitely a posting on a blog.

Then why does every blog in existence differentiate from the BLOG ITSELF to the COMMENTS ON THE BLOG?

The blog is written by an author who owns and/or administrates the blog.

The comments are written by visitors to the blog who read and then sometimes comment.

This was all included with the Internet 101 tutorial. You might want to revisit that when you get a chance.

So, in your world, I can call this, right here, a blog posting, even though it’s not a blog posting. It’s a comment.

Guess we’d better inform Ed and AP that this blog really isn’t theirs. It’s all of ours because we’re all making “blog postings” on it now.

I mean, we used to call them “comments,” but this is, after all, your brave new world here.

So Bill isn’t responsible to make sure quotes get attributed to their proper authors?

If the staff couldn’t be bothered to use the word comment, HE should have used it.

And he, and you, should both understand the difference. You can’t possibly be that dense.

From the follow-up segment, and I quote O’Reilly:

“Last night we analyzed how both right and left wing websites were handling the Sotomayor controversy.”

So, he repeats the line that he was analyzing how Hotair.com handled the Sotomayor controversy, i.e. the authors of the blog. (Hint: Those are the guys who write the things at the top of the page. Not all the people who make “blog postings” underneath.)

He didn’t say: “Last night we analyzed comments made by ordinary people on different political websites regarding the Sotomayor controversy.” THAT would have been accurate.

He then admits that the comment was made by a “civilian” (odd choice of a word seeing as Michelle, Ed, and AP are all civilians), but NOT the staff of HotAir.com.

He next says, and again I quote:

“But we often cite hateful civilian comments on blogs and say they should be edited as we do on BillOReilly.com. That’s the point.”

Ok.

NOW.

Go BACK to Patterico’s post. It’s right here.

Go on. Stay with me here. You can do it.

As Patterico reports, the following is what it says, verbatim, word for word, on BillOReilly.com.

BillOReilly.com does not control or pre-screen the files, information, or messages (referred to collectively as “Information”) delivered to or displayed in the Message Boards, unless otherwise noted therein, and BillOReilly.com assumes no duty to, and does not monitor or endorse Information within the Message Boards.

BillOReilly.com DOES NOT MONITOR OR ENDORSE INFORMATION WITHIN THE MESSAGE BOARDS.

But….Bill just said ON THE AIR that they….edit comments on BillOReilly.com.

Maybe in your world, they can both be true.

The one thing you have correct is that Bill did say in the follow-up video that some comments get through the “filter” on his site, but we’ve already established that the site, in its own words, takes NO RESPONSIBILITY for any such “filter.”

So, it’s ok for Bill not to endorse comments made on his website, and take no responsibility for them.

But it’s not ok for HotAir.com to do so.

It’s ok for Bill to falsely attribute words NOT written by Hotair.com’s authors TO them.

And it’s subsequently ok for him, and you, to say that this is NOT a smear.

…….

You should send Bill your resume. You’ll fit right in on his staff.

Hawkins1701 on May 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Outlander on May 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

And I am saying, no capitulation…no apologies…do it like the dems, they have made the rules.
They are the ones calling our soldiers murderers, the CIA liars, Cheney a liar and war monger, and you worry about one person posting something…like I said, you were manipulated.
They will only accept conservatives if we totally agree, and are totally free of any derogatory statements about liberals…in other words if we become liberals.
Meanwhile…as has been pointed out, the liberals websites are a thousand times worse, with a thousand times more vicious posts…but don’t use the Presidents middle name.
Don’t fall for it, don’t be so easily manipulated.
I can just see Carville saying, don’t call Cheney anything that would upset him…I will say it again, you were sucked in and manipulated.

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM

You should send Bill your resume. You’ll fit right in on his staff.

Hawkins1701 on May 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Normally I don’t read long posts (or comments), but yours was really good; with a good “timeline”.
Nicely done, it shows how easy people can be manipulated by the press, and they don’t even know they are.

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Thanks.

I know I was heavy with the snark on TheBlueSite, but I just get frustrated when otherwise intelligent people miss the point.

Hawkins1701 on May 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Bill O. is a tool.

He sucks. I’m sick of him talking over people whom he has as guest to put words in their mouths or to defend the current regime.

madmonkphotog on May 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I watch O’Reilly’s show every day and like it, but don’t like how he seems to use it to exercise personal grudges and favors. He started swooning for Obama after BO gave him an interview. And must be the dispute with Michelle is ongoing, too, judging by this dust-up.

Nevertheless, the topic is pointless. Kiss and make up already!

evergreen on May 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Great work, Don’t you love O’Reilly’s site. You can’t even comment on it unless you are a premium member. Why does he think we are so entrhalled with him to sign up as a premium member for his website. I am getting sick of hearing him tout his book for the last zillion years too. Talk about overexposure. Now, don’t get me wrong. I think we need Bill, at least he offers a different perspective then the other liberal outlets, but sometimes he just goes too far.

Mark

mark24609 on May 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM

This thread is getting strange(IMO).Yes we should be careful how we express ourselves so as not to reflect badly on Michelle,Ed and Allah.Enough said.
As a follower of O’Reilly and Michelle,for several years,I have watched BOR’s pseudo-conservative veneer fade over time.His true personality is has been coming out for quite a while.Bill is and always has been concerned with nothing but ratings and self-aggrandisement.He used MM,KP,MKH and now Amanda and Laura to enhance his ratings and and his image as a fair-minded conservative,when in fact he is nothing more than another mysogenistic liberal.Not only did he bilie his “image” in the sitution with Michelle and Geraldo(ugh),but many times by trying to talk down to Kirsten(as if he compare intellectually with her).Once the ratings went up(due primarily to these highly intelligent young women),they for some reason or other would disappear from his show.You can probably expect to see some problem with Laura Ingraham and Amanda very soon.
As I commented yesterday,I do believe he delberately singled out HA to take a swipe at,just to cause controversy, to keep his ratings up.Once again BOR demonstates that he wouldn’t have those ratings on his own merits.THESE COMMENTS DO NOT REFLCT THE OPINIONS OF THE ADMINISTRATION OF HOT AIR BLOG,ONLY THE OPINIONS OF THIS COMMENTER–GOT THAT ,BILL?

DDT on May 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM

And – if you had to monitor every comment on this site, that is all you would have time to do. How does Bill figure anyone would have time for that.

Mark

mark24609 on May 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM

um… but if O’R admits that “it happens to us too”, what exactly are you trying to prove?
this exercise doesnt appear to make a lick of sense…
explainz?

Drunk Report on May 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM

bill has to make nice with his pals in the left media. how do you think he gets invited back to GMA, the early show, the today show and the view to hock his bold fresh pieces of crap?

anna on May 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

“Is “Hussein” really such a low and hateful thing to say that it would warrant mention if it actually was a blog post?”

TheBlueSite

If the world hadn’t become so sissified, I’d be surprised that anyone would cite that as “scary” or “menacing”.

whatcat on May 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Bill O’Reilly- B.O.

Barack Obama- B.O.

Hmmmmm….. has anyopne ever seen them together?

Yes, O’Reilly actually got to interview Obama on his show.

LODGE4 on May 29, 2009 at 1:35 PM

The second comment is stupid and badly written, but hate speech? Come on.

If you’re going to be dishonest Morissy, then what’s the point?

Gaunilon

Two things, Gaunilon;
First, this whole searching message boards for something that’s not PC or a “thought crime” is incredibly stupid – that’s what goofy bored leftists do, not real republicans/conservatives.

Second, yes – Ed is not only joining in that particular stupidity but he’s also, as you correctly noted, not being quite honest about it here:

The first quote does not accuse Cheney of bestiality, it merely asks whether she has the right to be engage in it and have it recognized as arriage.

Actually, the question asked how her marrying a goat would affect anyone else’s marriage. What Ed skipped was the context – this is obviously a reply to someone else tossing out the red herring of “How would “gay” marriage affect your marriage”? I would have replied “how does the Manson family’s crimes affect your life?” instead (i.e. “if it didn’t, let’s make murder legal).

I just can’t believe adults are wasting their time looking for message board postings that will upset them. Dumb, dunb, dunb.

whatcat on May 29, 2009 at 1:52 PM

whatcat on May 29, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I am assuming:

DDT on May 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I just posted my analysis on the subject

Mark

mark24609 on May 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM

@Hawkins1701

excellent summary

I’m not a big OR fan but this was below the belt in every way. That said, the whole affair can’t be over fast enough for my tastes.

DaMav on May 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Excellent! It’s not often someone is able to put that sanctimonious windbag in his place, but when it happens, it’s poetry in motion. Great smackdown!

alwaysright43 on May 29, 2009 at 6:37 PM

“just can’t believe adults are wasting their time looking for message board postings that will upset them. Dumb, dunb, dunb.”

whatcat on May 29, 2009 at 1:52 PM
I am assuming:

DDT on May 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM
right2bright

You forgot “Results are unique and will vary with other individuals”.
(er, no ….that’s for the infomercials – um, nevermind..)

whatcat on May 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM