Olby to Mancow: You’re sure this waterboarding was legit, right?

posted at 9:46 pm on May 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

He’s sure. As I asked earlier: What’s the motive if he’s lying? He’d do as much press if he said it wasn’t torture as he would if he said it was. There’s no reason to keep silent at this point except out of conviction or antipathy to Keith, which is remotely possible given his handling of nominees past.

Never mind how the Democrats treated Estrada. It’s an inconvenient truth.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yeah, I was immediately hit by this comment too. He would definately get MORE press saying “Torture.”

I think you would have to know Mancow’s media history and where he stands in the pecking order these days to understand why he is/was desperate for some pub. He got it.

AYNBLAND on May 30, 2009 at 7:27 AM

I swear to God I think the bulk of Olbys’ audience are conservative bloggers. I would’ve never even known about this douchebag if not for Hot Air. I mean, who the f tunes in to MSNBC?

Coronagold on May 30, 2009 at 7:52 AM

No actually he wouldn’t. Saying it is torture is all the media wants to hear and will put on has beens (was he ever?) like mancow on to try to drive the point home.

Daemonocracy on May 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM

whyyyyy mancow?

whyyy?

blatantblue on May 30, 2009 at 8:11 AM

…who cares?

Deciding which one is dopier, Ogbly or Mancow, is a pursuit to discovering perpetual motion.

ericdijon on May 30, 2009 at 8:19 AM

OT a bit but

Bwhahahahahahahaha

Predator War Crimes

There is no understanding these loons. They are like lemmings running off the cliff.

Limerick on May 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Mancow’s an idiot. I water-boarded my goldfish the other day and all he did was smile at me.

Rovin on May 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Olby = Asshat.
Mancow = Stooge.
All I really heard from the clips was a pesky buzzing noise whenever Olby would speak. and a mnuaw mnuaw mnuaw sound whenever Mancow spoke. Prattling on and on and on…….Make the noises Stop!

5u93rm4n on May 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM

“He’d do as much press if he said it wasn’t torture as he would if he said it was”…. and Meghan McCain still would have been on Colbert, The View, and Good Morning America if she thought the Republicans should steer more right.

Marcus on May 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I had noticed he had not been on Fox and Friends in a long while. Now I know why. Sell-out.

kingsjester on May 30, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Rovin on May 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM

+10 for making my drink come out my nose…

ericdijon on May 30, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Leftwing psycho meets rightwing nutjob and its on Hot Air as a story? The ratings for Olby are still in the toilet and we’re commenting on it. Should tell us something.

volsense on May 30, 2009 at 9:11 AM

i don’t know if this was said before, but i live in Chicago, and this stunt was hyped for about 2 weeks before it happened. they encouraged listeners to phone in, or by the website, vote for which host out of the two, mancow or the other guy, would be waterboarded. total stunt.

Ghoul aid on May 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I made it through 30 seconds of Olbergoebbels’ voice. Listening to his voice is sickening. It’ll be a relief when President Zero and Crew are being charged with violating the Constitution, and Olbergoebbels has a stroke trying to spin that….Maybe he’ll finally go to the rest home he so richly deserves………..

adamsmith on May 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

These wimpy little creeps are so incredibly lucky to have fallen into the hands of someone who has even a passing concern for the civilities of armed conflict. The entire idea of “Rules of War” is oxymoronic in the extreme. That’s why it’s so desperately vital to avoid wars in the first place.
The moment I saw Daniel Perl’s last seconds of life, I decided that my preferred technique of interrogation would be very simple and really low tech. No water, or other helpers or complex protocols required. A dark and cold and damp basement with one naked light bulb hanging from the ceiling, a bare wooden chair of unpainted boards, a roll of duct tape and a 16 ounce ball pean hammer. Start at the little toes and little fingers and work your way up, with repetition as required, until desired results are obtained.
The boys and girls at Abu Graibh and in the hallowed halls of Langley are seriously overthinking the problem!

Lew on May 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

It wasn’t a hoax – they’re not pretending that something happened when it didn’t.

But the person who did it has already admitted that he didn’t know how to waterboard and was basically making it up as he went along.

So, was it a hoax? No.

Was it water boarding like the military does it? Absolutely not.

Was it a PR stunt? Absolutely!

Was Allah drunk when he wrote “He’d do as much press if he said it wasn’t torture as he would if he said it was.”? Probably.

Religious_Zealot on May 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

It doesnt matter. According to Eric Holder, Hussein’s AG, Waterboarding isn’t torture. (And it isn’t) CASE CLOSED.

dogsoldier on May 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

The several “professional” waterboarding videos that I saw were different than what Mancow went through.

The main difference is this: the pros were pouring the water very slowly on the subject’s face, whereas in Mancow’s video the marine was pouring it very rapidly. And then, at the end of Mancow’s video, the marine with the 2 purple hearts then says “I’m not a professional at this”.

My conclusion is that what Mancow was subjected to was much harsher than “proper” waterboarding that was used on KSM and the other 2 turds.

Find the other vids and compare them yourself.

AlexB on May 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Mancow wins. He’s going to get a bigger platform now and turn into a nicer alternative to Howard Stern, that’s all this is about.

Lame.

Conspiracy theory? Oooh lookout Olby, Cheney’s coming at you with his black helicopters and such.

John_Locke on May 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Find the other vids and compare them yourself.

AlexB on May 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Really? I would have thought that was less of a shock than what I saw Hitchens go through… Whatever, still not torture, it doesn’t kill you or inflict serious bodily harm. Also, we aren’t doing this to kindergarten teachers, these people behead their prisoners.

John_Locke on May 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I remember when Howard Stern wanted to fist Mancow. Let Stern do it and Mancow can say if that was torture.

Lou Budvis on May 30, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Did Olby learn to milk mancow’s at Cornell Agricultural? Moo, moo! Go Cows!

andycanuck on May 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM

How dare you denigrate Olby’s Ivy League Credentials!

Speedwagon82 on May 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Sorry, I tried. I submitted after only 7 seconds. I just can’t watch Olberdung.

oakpack on May 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Mancow = Wuss

dalec on May 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Reached for comment, the publicist said she’d initially misunderstood that it would be real. Today they talked to Klay South, the Marine who did the pouring, and he came clean:

I know nothing about waterboarding. I had never done it before, I have no formal training in it, and I’ve never had it done to me. The only thing I knew was what I saw on the internet. I went to waterboarding.org and looked it up. I just did what I was told—poured the water on his face and that was it. I’m probably the last person they should have had do it. I didn’t know what I was doing.

So why didn’t he follow the instructions from the memo? From the posted and spelled out in plain English on waterboarding.org!

Specifically,

A cloth is placed over the forehead and eyes. Water is then applied to the cloth in a controlled manner. As this is done, the cloth is lowered until it covers both the nose and mouth. Once the cloth is saturated and completely covers the mouth and nose, air flow is slightly restricted for 20 to 40 seconds due to the presence of the cloth.

A cloth is placed over the forehead and eyes.

Water is then applied to the cloth in a co

ntrolled manner”.

Note: Water applied to cloth. In the vid water is poured down his mouth, not onto the cloth. This is a HUGE difference!

“As this is done, the cloth is lowered until it covers both the nose and mouth.”

Note: cloth covers both the nose and mouth. Again is a HUGE difference from pouring water directly into the mouth and nose!

“Once the cloth is saturated and completely covers the mouth and nose, air flow is slightly restricted for 20 to 40 seconds due to the presence of the cloth.”

Note: Air flow is slightly restricted! For 20 to 40 sec. When water has filled up the mouth nose and breathing passageways Air flow is NOT slightly restricted, it is TOTALLY restricted!

How did Olbermann, Mancow and Klay South ALL NOT READ the instructions?

DSchoen on May 30, 2009 at 6:01 PM

has beens (was he ever?) like mancow on to try to drive the point home.
Daemonocracy

What Mancow, Hitchens went through was REAL waterboarding.
REAL waterboarding, by historic definition is Real Drowning, simulating death.

Waterboarding, to be the torture known as “Waterboarding” requires water to completely block the breathing passageways.

In short.
No water filling up the breathing passageways.
No real threat of death.
Means this “technique” is not Torture!

Confused?

So why would they (Bush admin) call it waterboarding?

They wanted the terrorist to believe “real waterboarding was an option”

How would the terrorist know “waterboarding” was on the table?

The Bush admin leaked it. It was intentional.

Why would the Bush admin leak that?

So terrorist, if caught, would believe “real waterboarding” could/would be used on them.

Terrorist would interpret the EIT called “waterboarding” as a 1st level that would progress to real waterboarding. Terrorist, not being stupid, would know the 500 plus years of examples real waterboarding. The terrorist would then conclude better talk now, who would blame them (allowing them to save face).

Damage done by releasing the so-called “torture memo”?

Clearly spells out just how far we would take the interrogation. The terrorist no longer have anything to fear.

DSchoen on May 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Olby to Mancow: You’re sure this waterboarding was legit, right?

…because some radio host is an authority on what is and isn’t legit waterboarding, right? Especially when the entire point of the exercise is to show him what it’s like.

Right?

James on May 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

To which Mancow replies: So what? It wasn’t supposed to be an exact recreation of CIA black sites, just a layman’s attempt to see what the fuss is about.
The CIA technique is exactly what we did:
1. Keep the chest elevated above the head and neck to keep the lungs “above the waterline.”
2. Incline the head, both to keep the throat open and to present the nostrils for easier filling.
3.Force the mouth open so that water can be poured into both the nose and mouth.

Note the CIA technique cites makes it painfully clear NO WATER IS POURED INTO THE MOUTH NOSE or throat.
A cloth is placed over the forehead and eyes.

Water is then applied to the cloth in a controlled manner.

NOTE: water to cloth NOT throat, nostrils!
How the flock could you miss read water poured onto a cloth to be water poured down your throat? Who is that flocking stupid?

DSchoen on May 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I know his motive Allah, he’s a radio guy and he wants the attention. His credibility doesn’t matter to him. He just wants the easiest way to get the most people to listen to him. I know this. I’ve worked in radio for 20 years, and I know people like Mancow. All he cares about is seeing himself on TV. It’s nothing more. That’s his motive.

jjverdi on May 30, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I love Mancow I listened to him years ago when I was in the military but he just recently came on local when a station switched formats to talk radio. He is funny but since he has had his daughters I have noticed that he has actually cleaned up his act in a good way(not so much sex stuff like Stern) Did you notice his wife and kids in the background… classic Mancow? He actually punked MSNBC.

dako on May 31, 2009 at 7:13 AM