Great news: Obama learns of Defense Dept. agency for first time at burger joint

posted at 8:31 pm on May 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m genuinely bummed that this didn’t happen with Bush. Imagine how many great late-night jokes we’d have had.

Obama: What do you do Walter?
Walter: I work at, uh, NGA, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
Obama: Outstanding, how long you been doing that?
Walter: About six years
Obama: Yea?
Walter: Yes.
Obama: You like it?
Walter: I do, keeps me…
Obama: So explain to me exactly what this National Geospatial…uh…
Walter: Uh, we work with, uh, satellite imagery..
Obama: Right
Walter: [unintelligible] …support systems, so…
Obama: Sounds like good work.
Walter: Enjoy the weekend.
Obama: Appreciate it.

Follow the link to find out what the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency does. You too, Barry, in case you’re reading this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Idiot-in-Chief

txag92 on May 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM

This is what happens when TOTUS lets him off the leash.

Pasalubong on May 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM

We’re doomed!

mizflame98 on May 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM

This man is a freakin’ joke!

“outstanding” ??? I have always hated that expression.

katy on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Nothing surprises me and nothing will stick.

Mommypundit on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Obama “What does this red button do ?…”

Joe biden “It is used for Pizza deliveries ?”

Gates “NO NO NO NO NO DONT PUSH THAT !”

William Amos on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

You’re right Allahpundit. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert would have had a week’s worth of material. Too bad! I guess they can also pretend Bush said it, do some create editing.

terryannonline on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Well, to be fair, I’m about 138 times more qualified to be president than Obama, and I’ve never heard of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency either.

But I also know not to talk with food in my mouth.

greggriffith on May 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Unfreakinbelievable.

CP on May 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Obama: So, what do you call these things?

General: Sir, we call them airplanes. If, for example, you called me up and said, “go bomb somebody”, these are what we’d use.

Obama: Sounds like good work…

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

We’re doomed!

mizflame98 on May 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM

DOOOOMED!

Fallen Sparrow on May 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Later 0-bama asked him how to order DirecTV for the Oval Office.

Cicero43 on May 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Hew needs to go to this joint more often. He learns alot.

PaCadle on May 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Obama “What does this red button do ?…”

Joe biden “It is used for Pizza deliveries ?”

Gates “NO NO NO NO NO DONT PUSH THAT !”

William Amos on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

DO NOT BE ALARMED!

This cannot happen. There is no RED BUTTON for the CINC to push.

As a result of an Executive Order, it’s now green.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I wonder how many presidents in our past, Republican or Democrat, know of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency and what it does, or even AP before he googled it after seeing this clip, let alone the commenters here who will inevitably try to paint this obviously intelligent man as ignorant and dumb. Kooks.

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

He doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.

suzyk on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Obama: So, what do you call these things?

Obama: Sounds like good work…

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM

That explains the NY Flyover…

William Amos on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

DO NOT BE ALARMED!

This cannot happen. There is no RED BUTTON for the CINC to push.

As a result of an Executive Order, it’s now green.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM

There is too much red in this whitehouse.

William Amos on May 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

You know what I meant, he.

PaCadle on May 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

The Canadian rag put it nicely: Bush is an idiot and you are intelligent, so what happened to you?

promachus on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Oh my, wasn’t this covered in new employee training? Obama was not a good hire.

sherry on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

er uh ah um what does DIA do… uh just to help a uh brother out???

??ogabe

sven10077 on May 29, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Let’s see… Geo-spatial…

D’oh. figuring it out simply from the name isn’t rocket science.

Unless you’re an elitist.

katy on May 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Let’s see… Geo-spatial…

D’oh. figuring it out simply from the name isn’t rocket science.

Unless you’re an elitist.

katy on May 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM

you’d have thought he’d have taken a bit of Latin at some point…

sven10077 on May 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Come on, he’s busy. He needs another Czar.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Gates “NO NO NO NO NO DONT PUSH THAT !”

More like… “You may want to consider not pushing that… but your leadership is so inspiring, I’ll follow whatever decision you believe is best for the Demo-, er, the country.”

mankai on May 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM

“I’m unfamiliar with the NGA, is that an affiliate of ACORN?”—- Barry Soetoro

Jeff on May 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM

But, Obama is HISTORIC.

HISTORIC, I say.

Moesart on May 29, 2009 at 8:50 PM

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

The point — as you know, assuming you’re just playing dumb — is that Obama wants to massively expand the government, but he doesn’t even know what all is in the current one.

Jim Treacher on May 29, 2009 at 8:50 PM

underceij

it doesn’t matter if we don’t know what it is. It’s an executive agency, so Obama should know about it, and if other presidents didn’t know, I would criticize them for that too.

Chiasmos on May 29, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I guess he’s never seen The Falcon and The Snowman either.

The Ugly American on May 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

maybe that means our bureaucracy is too big? Of course, that logic is too simple.

Chiasmos on May 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I’ll be entirely honest I had never heard of this agency. I don’t think Obama is dumb. However, I think AP noted the double standard if a Republican had said this. If Bush, Palin, or even McCain had said all the late night comics would make jokes about how stupid they are. When Obama does it just a simple, understandable gaffe but when a republican does it is evidence they are dumb. Why don’t liberals give Republicans the same benefit of the doubt?

terryannonline on May 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM

As a result of an Executive Order, it’s now green.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM

More likely it’s white.

txag92 on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

NGA provides timely, relevant and accurate geospatial intelligence in support of national security objectives. The term “geospatial intelligence” means the exploitation and analysis of imagery and geospatial information to describe, assess and visually depict physical features and geographically referenced activities on the Earth. Geospatial intelligence consists of imagery, imagery intelligence and geospatial (e.g., mapping, charting and geodesy) information.

SOunds like a department that might have some interesting intell on what NK is doing on the ground. Glad Obama got the heads up on something that might help him with the Norks.

Weight of Glory on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

We’re doomed!

mizflame98 on May 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Watch this. It will put you at ease.

Mark1971 on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Obviously Intelligent?

Drink the kool aid, it worked for Reverend Jim and company.

SPIFF1669 on May 29, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Wait till he learns there really is a Bat Cave. And a Crystal Palace (not to confused with the Puzzle Palace). And TACAMO (I’d let him chew on that one for a while).

Boy, he’s got some bookwork to do.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 8:57 PM

a lesson to me as well.

but i ain’t running the country…

homesickamerican on May 29, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Obama: What do you do, Walter?

Walter: I fart very loudly.

Obama: You don’t say? You’d get on well with the First Lady. One time we were in a restaurant and she let one go that was so loud it set off six car alarms out in the parking lot.

radjah shelduck on May 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Give us a break. Please see:

katy on May 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM

&

Jim Treacher on May 29, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Anyone who reads good spy novels would also be able to extrapolate.

INC on May 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Messed up my editing:

People who read good spy novels would also qualify. (But wait, most of those that I have read are always having the good guys (that US, BTW) win).

INC on May 29, 2009 at 8:59 PM

terryannonline on May 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM
Well said

FontanaConservative on May 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM

What a dumb ass. The hits just keep on coming.

HornetSting on May 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM

When your ‘Community Organizing Agitating’,

don’t need no stink’n Defence!!(Sarc).

canopfor on May 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM

And the All-Time Gaffe-Record goes to…….

*drum roll*,boom-da,boom-da,boom-da,

its Hopey/Changey!Tee Hee!

canopfor on May 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Watch this. It will put you at ease.

Mark1971 on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I watched the whole friggin’ thing, waiting for the punch line. My mistake. I prefer the fake Obama coins from LIberia or some lame place like that.

Mark, fool me once,….uh….shame on……you can’t get fooled again.

I’ll be watching you….

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*PRESENT*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on May 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Obama is an incompetent f’n moron. This agency is an integral part of the intelligence apparatus of a nation at war that he nominally leads. Ask him who the head of the Black Panthers is and I’m sure he’ll be able to tell you what underwear size and color they wear.

elduende on May 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Obama was on the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Magazine Cover this month

izoneguy on May 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Does this agency not get funding from congress? Had Obama spent the years he was elected as senator as actually, you know, working in the senate, he might have a inkling about our intelligence agencies.

Sue on May 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Maybe we can use this agency to help the president find his butt from a hole in the ground

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on May 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

The guy should have told him- ” I could tell you but then I’d have to kill ya’” Would have livened things up a bit.

thomasaur on May 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM

izoneguy on May 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM

That is rich! Good grief. Hear that sound…that’s the sound of the morale at that agency circling the toilet.

elduende on May 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Mark, fool me once,….uh….shame on……you can’t get fooled again.

I’ll be watching you….

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Yeah, he rickrolled me too. I watched the whole damn thing waiting for the punch line. It was for real!

a capella on May 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I think TelePrompter Jesus was truly confused here… he must have thought NGA was National Golf Association….

IntheNet on May 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me.

nickj116 on May 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Don’t tell me word don’t matter!

christene on May 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

izoneguy on May 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Ungrateful prick.

I would have loved to been in the room when somebody told him we already an anti-piracy group. It’s called the “US NAVY”.

“You mean, all I had to do was say….”go get that guy”?, And, all I have to do to end piracy is send in the, what did you call it…the Navy? Wow! We sure got some cool shit, dude!”

“When do I leave for Egypt? Are we taking a Navy Plane..no no… my mistake. It’s Airport 1 or something, right?”

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Another great SNL skit that we will never see!

Star20 on May 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Oh, for chrissakes. I’ve never of it and neither have you.

Guess they’re not getting much airtime in the President’s Daily Brief.

No kidding. Nor should they. He’s the President of the United States, not the Grand-Know-It-All. If he actually did know what the Geospacialwhatever Department was I’d be more worried.

Stay focused peeps.

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:18 PM

What’s with these guys on the Left…such as Obama? Everything is CIA…? Read too many dime paperbacks? Saw too many episodes of “24?”

NGA? Must be a Non-Governmental Agency…sort of like ACORN. /s

coldwarrior on May 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

It’s HIS job to know it. We don’t pretend to be political leaders. Apparently the Obamatron does, however…

john1schn on May 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM

He could have at least faked it when it came to knowing about this department. He knew he was being filmed for crying out loud!

mizflame98 on May 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM

john1schn on May 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I can’t believe I’m actually defending Obama.

His job, as President, is not to know the minutia of government, it’s to guide the broad strokes. None of us, I presume, have ever heard of this agency before tonight and neither has he. It’s not his job to know every detail of government. That’s Pelosi’s job. He is a brand new President and is learning more ropes than he ever had to before. And more than he probably thought he’d have to. But let’s not go nuts over nothing.

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

“Why can’t I just eat my burger?”

- The Cat

MirCat on May 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM

He could have at least faked it

LOL

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM

“Callow.” That’s really the only word for him.

irishspy on May 29, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Obama became a Senator in 2004. After a couple of years he started campaigning for President. As someone said earlier, perhaps if he’d stayed in D.C. he might have learned some things.

INC on May 29, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

You know, I’d give someone a pass for not knowing that agency if they hadn’t been in a position that dealt with the funding of govermental agencies. I suspect John McCain knows what it is. I suspect other senators who actually show up for work instead of running for president from the first day in the senate know what it is.

Sue on May 29, 2009 at 9:32 PM

W

But I also know not to talk with food in my mouth.

greggriffith on May 29, 2009 at 8:37 PM

That makes me 140 times more qualified to be POTUS than Obama. I actually use their output.

Spiritk9 on May 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM

mizflame98 on May 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I wondered the same, but then saw that BHO is on the cover for their May/June issue of the NGA (Pathfinder). Follow the link. They probably used a stock photo, but it appears they did an article about him. Think he didn’t know?

IrishEyes on May 29, 2009 at 9:38 PM

His job, as President,

is not to know the minutia of government, it’s to guide the broad strokes.

Right. His job, apparently, is to take over 2/3 of the auto manufacturing industry and tell everyone how it’s going to be run.

Wrong. But that’s okay. Somebody here might have worked there, eh?

Thank God the airlines require a bit more experience from their pilots before they hire them. Wait, maybe they are being assholes by requiring their pilots to demonstrate they actually know how to fly a plane.

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Starts the job not knowing the responsibilities? Hey, I can be an astronaut, too! I’ll start tomorrow. I am Barack..I appoint myself Astronaut Commander.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Uh, no.

His job as the HEAD of the Executive Branch, is to run the government. Now, he doesn’t need to know every person’s name that works in the outfit, but if he wants to do something more than a half assed job of it, he better get better handlers to get him up to speed.

And for the record, Bela Pelosi’s job is not to know the government, it’s to be Speaker of the House. Of course, she’s been there awhile, actually learning the job. Dear Leader’s been too busy looking pretty to actually learn anything. Amazing how everyone says this is a smart guy, but every time he opens his mouth, he looks dumber and dumber.

john1schn on May 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Empty suit.

WisCon on May 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I’ve got to say, I worked in Washington for more than a decade for the DoD and I’ve never heard of this agency either.

If you listed all of the federal agencies and their little nitnoid satellites and subs I’m sure they’re all incredibly difficult to keep track of.

Which is exactly why we should be subtracting from them, rather than adding to them, as Barry will do. A smart guy would have understood that by now.

NoDonkey on May 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

INC on May 29, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Agreed. But I doubt that he would have learned that.

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Watch this. It will put you at ease.

Mark1971 on May 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Oh thank you!!! I feel so much better that I had to go back for more!

mizflame98 on May 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Which makes this even more classic.

vcferlita on May 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I gotta joke the late night comics can steal:

How do you know when your government has become too bloated? When the President of the United States finds out about a government agency in a pizza parlor.

terryannonline on May 29, 2009 at 9:43 PM

“It’s not his job to know every detail of government. That’s Pelosi’s job.”

Since we’ve established that there are multiple points of failure in the absolutely worthless, corrupt and incompetent Democrat Party, can we point to a single Democrat that anyone with a brain cell in his or her head, has confidence in?

I wouldn’t have confidence in Barry, Nanny or the Gambino’s errand boy, to pick up my mail if I went out of town. We are governed by complete jackasses and there’s no use denying it.

NoDonkey on May 29, 2009 at 9:45 PM

To be somewhat fair, I didn’t recognize the acronym, because the agency changed it’s name a couple years ago. IIRC, didn’t it used to be the NRO? I never could remember the new name.

But the guy helped him out by saying the whole name. It’s obvious what it does from the name, and surely in Obama’s briefings he’s gotten since November this agency has been mentioned. It’s really, really important.

juliesa on May 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Yes, who would have expected the Commander in Chief to have heard of the outfit that provides all those nifty satellite pictures and graphics for the security briefings..

Amateur hour.

Techie on May 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM

john1schn on May 29, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I’m presuming that NGIA is a subsidiary of NASA. There are departments heads that are charged with dealing with subsidiaries. The Cheif Executive is responsible for knowing details his departments, not the minutia of the departments’ own departments.

There’s a word that all good managers know: delegation.

The country is bigger than the President and I’m surprised that some (not all, thankfully) Hot Air commenters are forgetting that right now.

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I knew what it was, and I can figure it out from the words themselves. But, Obama was making small talk… maybe he can be forgiven for being more focused on the person than his 100% of the time job. Goofs are fun, but I’m more concerned about his policies. Granted, imagining a security briefing going like:
O: What are these?
X: Satellite pictures, sir, of North Korea…
O: Wow good resolution, so who took the picutes out the plane window?
X: …satellite, sir, circles the Earth in space…
O: So, what, like a 7 megapixel from Walmart?
X: Its a bit more advanced than that sir. Back to the pictures, you can see preparations for an invasion…
O: Why do we want to stop these guys again?

Ok, I gotta stop. Too fun in a sad scarry kind of way.

AnotherOpinion on May 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Oops, not the NRO, that’s still around. Formerly NIMA. My brother has a friend who worked there when it was NIMA.

NGA is one of the 16 members of the IC, the Intelligence Community, so it’s something most presidents would know about.

juliesa on May 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Marine Corps Intelligence
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
National Reconnaissance Office
National Security Agency
Navy Intelligence

So it’s a big deal. That said, perhaps the occasional brain fart is understandable, but a Dem will never pay for it like a Republican will.

juliesa on May 29, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Al Gore at Monticello. Worse, or about the same?

Discuss.

capitalist piglet on May 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I actually applied for a job at the St Louis office a few years ago. One needs a Top Secret security clearance to work there. I had the clearance, just not the analyst cred.

Big John on May 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

He’s Hugo Chavez – without the intellect.

HondaV65 on May 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM

…and as I mentioned before, the Obamatron should have better handlers than this. He may be a Wachington virgin, but the people surrounding him sure as excrement should not be.

john1schn on May 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Al Gore at Monticello. Worse, or about the same?

Discuss.

capitalist piglet on May 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Refresh my gourd, please.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM

He’s Hugo Chavez – without the intellect.

HondaV65 on May 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Ha! Hugo packs a sidearm. Wonderboy doesn’t know what that is.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Apparently Spock is not as bright as thought.

rob verdi on May 29, 2009 at 10:10 PM

What’s that got to do with handing out trillions to worthless scumbags?
Let the man eat his Chicken McNuggets!

TexasJew on May 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I hate his bad English: “How long you been doing that” is terrible grammar.

Of course, that’s the least of our worries, but it makes me hate that much more…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on May 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Lets see what would have happened if it was Palin, Any guesses?

rob verdi on May 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM