Great news: Obama learns of Defense Dept. agency for first time at burger joint

posted at 8:31 pm on May 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m genuinely bummed that this didn’t happen with Bush. Imagine how many great late-night jokes we’d have had.

Obama: What do you do Walter?
Walter: I work at, uh, NGA, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
Obama: Outstanding, how long you been doing that?
Walter: About six years
Obama: Yea?
Walter: Yes.
Obama: You like it?
Walter: I do, keeps me…
Obama: So explain to me exactly what this National Geospatial…uh…
Walter: Uh, we work with, uh, satellite imagery..
Obama: Right
Walter: [unintelligible] …support systems, so…
Obama: Sounds like good work.
Walter: Enjoy the weekend.
Obama: Appreciate it.

Follow the link to find out what the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency does. You too, Barry, in case you’re reading this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

RESET 2012

faraway on May 29, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I can give him a pass on this one, as there are so many different government/military abbreviations around no one except Dr. Benton Quest could keep them all straight. Ever heard of an “ECV”? Neither had I.

I’m a civilian hiker, and whenever I climb or stroll any of our regional trails here in Northern New England, all I see are 3 letter words on the signs, denoting which mountain group maintains them. AMC, RMC, SLA, et al.

Strangely enough, all of these groups putting these trail signs up are Leftist elites, as evidenced by the large number of Volvos and Saabs in the trailhead parking lots.

Maybe I shouldn’t give Hussein a pass on this…

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I’m presuming that NGIA is a subsidiary of NASA. There are departments heads that are charged with dealing with subsidiaries. The Cheif Executive is responsible for knowing details his departments, not the minutia of the departments’ own departments.

That’s really super, but weren’t we told that this guy’s complete lack of experience was a non-issue, due to the fact that he’s the most brilliant man who ever lived?

Seems to me, he’d know this by now, if he were all he was cracked up to be.

And of course I knew he wasn’t, but an apology from those who lied to the American people about him, would seem to be in order.

NoDonkey on May 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM

When Obama, in ordinary life, doesn’t know something, he does what every decent therapist in the country does…he asks a few fairly simple questions and then subtly aligns himself with the person to whom he is speaking. It’s a helpful, and powerful, device called Active Listening, wherein Obama leaves the impression he is aligned with whom he is speaking..when in fact, he may not be.
This is why Obama says, when he goes to meetings, that he is there to “listen.” It’s also why people leave Obama thinking he agrees with them…when, in fact, he has only reflected what they said to him back to them. There may actually be no agreement whatsoever.
Therapists/counselors learn this easy but powerful skill in Counseling Psychology 101. It gives the impression of empathy and helps the other person to believe they and the listener are both good people who have a common bond.
Those government workers will be surprised to read that we think Obama hasn’t a clue about what they do. They are under the impression Obama knows all about it.
Obama is a master of the technique of “Active Listening.” He does it effortlessly. However, he, unlike the therapist, uses this device for his own gratification.
To me, it’s chilling

marybel on May 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I am no fan of Obama, but this seems less of a sin than if he had said to the guy, “well, yes…and tell me: what does this Treasury Department you speak of actually do?”

Plenty to thump the rookie President with so far, with more to follow. But not knowing where NGIA is located while talking to a dude in a burger line isnt one of them.
But if Bush had said it…

Obama lives in fast food lines. I wonder how long before PETA comes after him for getting his burger on so much?

Nothing to see here.

Mike D. on May 29, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Oh my God! There are terrorists out there who want to kill as many of us innocents as possible and this Urkel, playing Presidente Pinnochio, doesn’t even know of one of his National Intelligence Agencies!
If I have to hear one more time how intelligent this mystery punk is…

Gave a boxed set of movie classics to the Prime Minister of England that wouldn’t play.

Gave the Queen of England an Ipod with his speeches on it.

Doesn’t know Australian is not a language.

Sent Hillary to Russia with an easy button that said sleezy.

Bowed to the king of Saudia Arabi practically kissin the floor.

Took his kids and wife on a quick site seeing tour of new York city via Air Force One 1000 feet up?

Yep intelligent!

And when the bad guys get done laughing and attack I’m sure Urkel will marshall up squads of pants draggin, baby makin, gang bangin, drug dealin, quart drinkin, porch sittin New Orleans types to help him save the day and these United States, after all he’s Spreadin the Wealth so’s these buggers can be proud productive citizens for once.

dhunter on May 29, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Watch the video on C-Span; at 3:31, TOTUS tells a guy (red jersey) “we have more problems then we thought, we didn’t know the ecomony was going to collapse.”

Funny that obama didn’t ask the customers for a show of hands of how many of their jobs were saved/created by his stimulus plan!

TN Mom on May 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I’m still giggling at the Fark headling “Obama turning into Mayor McCheese”

SarahW on May 29, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I’m presuming that NGIA is a subsidiary of NASA.

Tuning Spork on May 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Nope, it is a subsidiary of the DoD.
I worked there in the 90s. They keep changing their name so I’m not surprised that no one knows who they are. Actually, they like to keep a fairly low profile and let NSA and CIA take the spotlight.

When I first started, it was the Defense Mapping Agency or DMA.
Then, it was the National Imagery and Mapping Agency or NIMA.
This week it is the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency or NGA. Next week, who knows. They use satellite imagery for military applications and are closely affiliated with NSA, CIA, and USGS. Yeah, it’s weird.
Honestly, I can’t stand Obama but even I can’t get annoyed that he didn’t know which agency this was.

ExcessivelyDiverted on May 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I guess he’s never seen The Falcon and The Snowman either.

The Ugly American on May 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I’m sure Sean Penncilbrain could fill him in on the details.

gregbert on May 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Betcha Obama can name every single entity of ACORN!

Betcha Obama can cite Saul Alynsky’s Rules for Radicals backwards!!

TN Mom on May 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Of course Obama wouldn’t know of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, he’s been too busy staring into the mirror…

Zorro on May 29, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Sure there’s lots of agencies and He’s only been in there a few months.

But, according to so many out there He’s the All Wise, All Knowing Savior.

The fact that He is simply not all that doesn’t keep them from driving on with the BS.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM

5 Guys makes good burgers, they started in Arlington VA and are going nationwide. They are good, but how many burger joints do we really need?

Maybe Barry should be thinking about that.

NoDonkey on May 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I will not weaponize space!” -BHO.

No kidding.

profitsbeard on May 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I’m not willing to give him a break on this. It is one of 16 intelligence agencies. We are in the middle of a WoT, 2 wars and, Iran seeking nukes and NK shooting off nukes. That he doesn’t know the agencies responsible for gathering the intelligence he should be seeing daily is not something he should be given a pass for.

Sue on May 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Hey Del – not all of us who drive Volvos are leftist elitists.

But I can’t say the same about those Saab drivers! :-)

CanuckInPA on May 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Give the guy some slack. He’s got two auto companies to run,

Dhuka on May 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Most ‘intelligent’ president, evah…plus, looks really dumb in the thread picture…what a country!

Pravda is ridiculing American capitalism’s decline. Yep, our times are here!

Schadenfreude on May 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Let’s give the guy a break. He doesn’t have a clue as to what to do in Iraq or Afghanistan and he just lost his first encounter with Korea’s Kim 77-0; he looked as if he were performing a Lewinsky on the Saudi Arabian Price; he dissed both the British PM and the British Queen twice and looked inexperienced and foolish to Venezuela’s Chavez and Israel’s Netanyahu. Also he is backed up by a VP who could find a way to drown in the Sahara Desert. Additionally he spent hundreds of billions of dollars for two car companies which soon will have no cars, no workers and no customers. Thanks to Treasury Secretary Tim Geither the US dollar will soon purchase less than the currency of Somalia as the United States sinks into a third world banana republic. You can’t expect a guy like that, with so many Excedrin headaches to even remember he has a Defense Department-lot alone some obscure agency within it, can you?

MaiDee on May 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Every time the President gets a briefing that includes a map of a foreign country… like Afghanistan or Iraq… in the corner of that map is a seal that says– “National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency”.
I worked there for nearly thirty years.

mjzman on May 30, 2009 at 12:15 AM

I wonder how many presidents in our past, Republican or Democrat, know of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency and what it does, or even AP before he googled it after seeing this clip, let alone the commenters here who will inevitably try to paint this obviously intelligent man as ignorant and dumb. Kooks.

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Relax bud.

I’m sure plenty of folks in all 58 states recognize Obama’s obvious intelligence.

Hawkins1701 on May 30, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Maybe Barry should be thinking about that.

NoDonkey on May 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM

It’s just a burger joint. Do you have any idea how much those 5 guys are paying themselves?! Obama should be thinking about that, too.

Jaibones on May 30, 2009 at 12:18 AM

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Hey, a new self-important leftist troll-douche to slap around! Butt-boy, do you suppose that the other candidate for that office might know something about it?

Jaibones on May 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Oh, and I’d be totally inclined to give Obama a pass on this….

Except we know Bush (both of them), Cheney, Palin, McCain, Reagan, or Quayle would never be given one.

Hawkins1701 on May 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Hey Del – not all of us who drive Volvos are leftist elitists.

But I can’t say the same about those Saab drivers! :-)

CanuckInPA on May 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM

One day a few years back, some friends and I drove up to the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) “Mother Ship”, at the base of Mt. Washington, NH. This is the massive complex they have at the trailhead for a trail that gets almost as much traffic as Mt. Fuji.

The parking lot was filled to overflowing, and at least 80% of the cars (all with AMC decals) were the V’s. And 99% of them had license plates from the state that gave us the Kennedys and Jeanne-Claude Kerri.

Del Dolemonte on May 30, 2009 at 12:23 AM

ExcessivelyDiverted on May 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I’m very annoyed. Don’t we use this intelligence to track things like… oh, maybe, North Korea creating and selling nuclear weaponry????

Daggett on May 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I could too, if we weren’t told ad nauseam how damn brilliant Obama is.

ddrintn on May 30, 2009 at 12:43 AM

I consider Obama pure evil but he is an ‘evil genius’ when it comes to personal relations.

The only person that can match him on our side in that department is Sarah Palin.

technopeasant on May 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM

marybel on May 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM

You are so right. Thank you for explaining it. I never heard of “active listening,” yet I could see Obama often doing just what you said he does. He is manipulative. Especially with white people. He even says so in one of his books, that he talks to them a certain way to make them trust him.

It is definately scary, as you say. There is just something creepy about him. I get a bad feeling. And I have never felt this way about any politician. Even Clinton. And I couldn’t stand him and thought he had some “issues” himself. But his manipulation was apparent and not as creepy.

And Clinton was practical and wanted power more than changing this country. And I always knew that Clinton liked this country. Obama is a radical with a mission. He does not like this country. He has plainly said he wants to “fundamentally change this country” and has criticized our constitution as having too many negative rights and not enough positive ones. Like the government can’t do certain things and doesn’t say the government must do certain other things.

I have never felt this way before. It’s so sad. I try to forget what’s going on and just live my life with my wonderful family and friends and just pray God forgives us and protects this great country.

Elisa on May 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM

ExcessivelyDiverted on May 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Given that this is one of the key agencies providing intelligence imagery, I’m not very inclined to give a pass to a person who should be getting daily threat briefings that utilizes their product. Even more, I would expect an intellectually curious person to ask the source of information and how it is produced to at least some rudimentary level.

This pretty much says that he is just voting present at his intel briefings and not exploring very deeply. That’s not a good thing.

AZfederalist on May 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Give the guy some slack. He’s got two auto companies to run,

Dhuka on May 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM

LOL Thank you, I needed that laught.

Good night all and God bless you all. Enjoy the weekend.

Elisa on May 30, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Obama: So explain to me exactly what this National Geospatial…uh…

That’s rich.

OneGyT on May 30, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Hawkins1701 on May 30, 2009 at 12:17 AM

LOL Thanks to you also for the laugh.

Elisa on May 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM

If there is a greater source of outrage among the right than the complete misrepresentation and distortion by the MSM of Sarah Palin’s credentials to be VP, a greater case can be made now of how it treated the intelligence and competence of George W Bush.

Barry makes George look like a f**king genius.

technopeasant on May 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM

first he said he created jobs

then saved/created

im looking forward to when he modifies the euphemism to say

“saved/created/lost”

TTheoLogan on May 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Didn’t his father mother grandmother teach him not to chew with his mouth open, especially when talking to somebody?

He is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!

Way to show some class Barry!

Swallow your food you ass.

Joe Caps on May 30, 2009 at 1:39 AM

ExcessivelyDiverted on May 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Nah, no brakes – he’s the all-knowing Messiah we are told, the most ‘intelligent’ president, evah. Imagine what the media would do with this if GWB would have goofed like this…

Schadenfreude on May 30, 2009 at 1:44 AM

One would initially be inclined to give Barry a pass. However, given the amount of intelligence info that supposed crosses his desk, some military officer has to have shown him a map or two. Taken by some satellite. When Walter told him the name of the agency I would hope at that point something would have clicked in Barry’s massive brain.

But when Barry asks him: “What does this National…uh…what did you call it? Geo-spastic?….uh….where’s my teleprompter?..sorry, didn’t mean to spit food on you” that’s when it becomes obvious the man is clueless.

Fed45 on May 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Refresh my gourd, please.

BobMbx on May 29, 2009 at 10:07 PM

First dated item on this page. There’s a video there too:

capitalist piglet on May 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Maybe, one day, this disgrace will realize that he is the head of the Executive Branch of the United States of America and stop the campaign stops…………..

…….. maybe then, he will sit down, and start reading the bills before him, along with answering the phones that constantly ring, those being the agencies that he has no idea that exist.

I know it’s too much to ask…….

……… but maybe one day, but then he would be responsible for his decisions, and we just can’t have that.

Seven Percent Solution on May 30, 2009 at 3:44 AM

underceij Many people, including Presidents would not know what in blazes the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency is, despite the info provided by the well informed mjzman above. The difference is that the other American leaders cared enough about defending us that they read maps and knew about defense and intelligence. All The One cares about is the BS spouted after class in colleges and being the Maximinus Community Organizer. (Go ahead Libtards, look it up and ponder the possibility that all of the people here have more intelligence than you and some even have an education.)

IlikedAUH2O on May 30, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Six years.. He might be a Bush spy.

amkun on May 30, 2009 at 5:41 AM

Maybe Barry should be thinking about that.

NoDonkey on May 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM

My impression is that that’s exactly what occupies the greater part of any day in the Oval Office for Obama: room temperature, where’s the pizza, gimme a burger (with chedder cheese, not the normal-cheese stuff), where’s the camera, wait, someone tell me again who’ll be here Wednesday night…

things like that. He’s a busy thinker.

Lourdes on May 30, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Fed45 on May 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Yeah, and the other point made here is that Barry’s obviously not paying too close attention to all that information and advice he’s surrounded with daily. He may be PLAYING at “active listening” rather than actually comprehending what’s being said, which is creepy if so.

Lourdes on May 30, 2009 at 7:21 AM

I’m sorry, I have to defend Obama here, as much as it pains me to do it. Let’s face facts: Obama has only been in office since January 20. There are an enormous amount of Federal agencies, not too mention departments of agencies. It’s kinda hard to know them all.

William Teach on May 30, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Hey Piglet,

just in case you ck back… gore… hands down!

jerrytbg on May 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Obama likes Five Guys burgers. He can’t be all bad.

shick on May 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM

This is what happens when you outsource the US Presidency.

bluelightbrigade on May 30, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Hey Del – not all of us who drive Volvos are leftist elitists.
But I can’t say the same about those Saab drivers! :-)

CanuckInPA on May 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Canuck,

I had an 86 Saab 900 SPG that I got from a repo place. It might have actually been stolen. Best handing car I ever drove. I’d have it today if my ex (you may have read about her in Revelations) hadn’t wrecked it. But to make sure I wasn’t confused with a leftie, I had my Rush is Right sticker in the back window.

As to Ogabe and his lack of intel knowledge, did he at first decline to attend intel briefings that were available to him during the campaign?

Remember Ron “Red” Dellums from the 80s and 90s? I’m surprised he didn’t bring him back to be DNI.

TugboatPhil on May 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM

I uhh uhh really uhh uhh uhm uhh fear for the uhh uhm future of this uhh country.

angryed on May 30, 2009 at 9:26 AM

CanuckInPA on May 29, 2009 at 11:22 PM

DUDE!! That’s just hurtful.

TugboatPhil on May 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM

I have an ’89 SPG, 260K miles. I hear you.

angryed on May 30, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Okay, for argument’s sake I’ll grant you this premise. But a SMART person, after hearing the name of an agency he wasn’t familiar with, would then say something like “excellent – you guys do great work” rather than expose his ignorance.

Hint, Mr. President – if it starts with the word “National,” you are nominally in charge of it. So at least TRY not to look like a moron.

Missy on May 30, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Haha. I am actually doing some contract work at the NGA in Bethesda. Very interesting place. Insanely secure. You cannot even bring an ipod into the place. And if you don’t have a security clearance, you must be escorted everywhere – even into the bathroom. They aren’t that strict at Ft Bragg.

And to stay on topic, our president is an idiot.

Spectreman on May 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Come on guys… Ozero has been busy this week trying to get a racist moron appointed to the supreme court and putting the fix in on the philly black panthers thing… Pluss he has to take Michelle shopping for her size 15 $500/pair sneakers… Give the guy a break..

It’s not like there are 2 billion jihadist nutcases who are sworn to killing, enslaving or converting us infidels.

Besides, why worry about the military and intel agencies when he will soon have a National Yoot Corp ‘equal in size and power to the Military’???

I would love to see a reporter spring a pop quiz on him about the military. Not the esoteric stuff but stuff like

1. How many people make up a division
2. What are the sizes of nuclear arms in our inventory
3. What are the immediate effects of a 10k groundburst in a city
4. What does NBC mean on the battlefield?
5. Please Define EMP
6. Can you explain the various defcon stages and when we have been at the highest 2 levels in the past
7. How many divisions approximately does the US have?
8. Please define the term REMF and give an example
9. Please define 2 uses of Depleted Uranium, one offensive and one defensive
10. What is meant by a binary munition??

I’d be willing to bet that the average HA reader would be able to do 2 to 3 times better on a quiz like that than the guy who has been in office 100 days flapping his jugears

bullseye on May 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

There’s obviously some nuance that we’re all missing. Right?

Physics Geek on May 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM

“Can’t you guys jus’ let me eat my cheeseburger?” – Barry

Wyznowski on May 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Actually, I know exactly what NGA is, and could even cite chapter and verse on the various names it has had over the years since the inception of my career as a Naval Intelligence officer in 1984.

Obama has had it explained to him before, as intensive briefings on his national intelligence apparatus are part of the transition process for the president.

It’s understandable that CEO America can’t remember every single executive agency out there. However, unless Panetta is a very unusual DCI, Obama has been briefed on things NGA has analyzed for him, and has almost certainly been shown an image or two with the NGA emblem appearing on them. (Presidents are not, of course, expected to have analytical opinions on such displays, but they are prepared and used for their explanatory value, and to visually demonstrate the level of detail and certainty analysts have.)

J.E. Dyer on May 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM

In one of Tom Clancy’s books, I think it was Sum of All the Fears, there was a liberal president who picked the liberal idiot he was banging as his National Security Advisor.

Well, it goes on how she was skipping the briefings and role playings because that was for neanderthal warmongering men.

Then some jihadists detonate what was supposed to be a multistage weapon in Denver that fizzled to 15k. Ms Liberal Proffessor falls apart at the seams and almost kicks off WWIII.

The scary thing is old Clancy has been a bit of a witch in his ability to predict future events. I wonder how much time the junior senator/community thug organizer is spending in learning what he needs to do to respond in a crisis

Hell folks, if I can’t sleep well at night I might as well pass this along…

bullseye on May 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM

NGA…yes…those are Non-Governmental Agencies. Sounds like good work.

BobMbx on May 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

You can’t know everything, but Hussein seems not to know much.

Akzed on May 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Nice try. Remember, before becoming President, he held “The Office of President-Elect” (whatever the hell that is. BTW, who holds that office now?) So, he’d been getting security briefings since the day after he won. It’s not like Jan 20th was his first day of employee orientation.

Fed45 on May 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

bullseye Ha Ha Ha

You mean Couric and Charlie Gibson didn’t ask The One questions like that? Certainly would have been reasonable given the relevance of The Bush Doctrine to a Governor running for Vice President.

I honestly believe that Governor Palin would run right by The One (and McLame) if she had time to study. If she really fires out of a copter she has a lot in common with modern US warriors already.

The One would pack a few hundred burgers, a translation book of “I’m Sorry” in sixty languages and a parachute. In a slick.

Anyway, the challenge to us is to get candidates like her elected after The One is done so they can struggle with our wrecked nation.

IlikedAUH2O on May 30, 2009 at 1:43 PM

4. What does NBC mean on the battlefield?

It means NBC news should report our casualties when a republican is in office, and should report enemy casualties when democrats are in office.

Daggett on May 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Gates “NO NO NO NO NO DONT PUSH THAT !”

William Amos on May 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Obama: “Whatever you say, William.”

cs89 on May 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM

The Messiah as First Moron.

n0doz on May 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Overkill. There are probably 30 federal agencies involved in writing the requirements for, designing, building, launching and actually using our various types of remote-sensing satellites.

And probably another 30 agencies that can task the satellites to gather ‘product’.

Ever hear of one federal agency taking credit for the product of another federal agency? It’s very common. And agencies get changed and retasked and political infights result in tasking changing every day.

The agency that ‘takes credit’for the product of NGIA is probably one that Obama does know of like the DIA.

Leave Obama alone on this one – I’ll bet on some days, if the light is just right, his socks don’t quite match either. Let’s save our criticism for issues that matter or we lose our own credibility.

ElRonaldo on May 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

ElRonaldo on May 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Oh boy. And after NIMA fought so hard to shed that fourth letter and become NGA, people still add the fourth letter anyway.

Three-letter agencies are supposed to be at the top of the heap; their names (CIA, DIA, FBI, NGA,…) instantly recognizable to everyone. Poor, poor, NGA, which happens to produce the majority of the image content in Obama’s morning read, and he doesn’t even remember them.

unclesmrgol on May 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

underceij on May 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I know this was last nights comment, but seriously: Show me a logical proof that President Obama is an “obviously intelligent” man. How does one demonstrate “obvious” intelligence? I’d say, we have a right to do two things;
1. Expose his gaffes
2. Draw our own conclusions, as to his intelligence.

So far, we’ve been denied access to any of his grades/test scores/published scholarly writings. These might give us some insights into his level of intelligence, but they are all sealed, at his request.

And, after 8 years of “W is a moron” from a wide variety of commentators, he’s fair game, and it’s open season, as far as critiquing his intellignce goes.

Plus, the double standard that’s operating here is getting tiresome; had any conservative done this, it would have been late night fodder for a week, and worth at least two lame skits on SNL.

Again, he says something dumb, and gets a pass.

massrighty on May 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

massrighty on May 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM

That “W is a moron” thing really fries my butt. Let me say that I am not 100% aligned with W (immigration, tax and spend etc)

However, the “Moron” thing is complete garbage. I worked with Naval Aviators for 20 years. Working in that position I met the good, the bad and the ugly. We had some complete idiots in the civil service end as well as some really dedicated people.

Back to W. I met a lot of stupid people, and I met a lot of fighter pilots. HOWEVER, I NEVER met a stupid fighter pilot. There are names for stupid fighter pilots: The deceased, dead, kaput, the corpse, smoking hole in the ground etc.

W strapped an F-102 on his ass and did it repeatedly in all kinds of weather. When they first tested the 102, the engineers all looked at each other and said “uh oh, we f-d this design up”. They had to create a new aeronautical theory to get the thing stable.

Also, there is a possibility that he might have flown with the Genie (There is speculation that it may have flown with the 102 but no real confirmation). Anyway, the Genie as a 1kt unguided nuke that travelled about 5 miles with a 5 second fuse or so (I may be a bit off on the specs but the freaking thing didn’t have a fuse that was much longer than that of a grenade) The stateside attrition of 102 pilots was damn near that of combat infantry over in vietnam.

So, I would challenge anyone who calls bush a moron like Michael Moore to strap his butt, if he can get it to fit, and fly a combat mission in a 102 (Yeah I know there aren’t any flying but I can fantasize)… Let’s see if he could survive the ‘idiot’s loop’ when launching a Genie. Hell, most of these idiots wouldn’t be able to run up the engine without a major disaster. A compressor stall on takeoff usually resulted in the plane rolling inverted and grinding the pilot into the runway.

Compare and contrast that with the life of Barak hussein Obama (bower to saudi kings).. What has the community organizer ever done as remotely demanding as flying a fighter aircraft??

bullseye on May 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

bullseye on May 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I sincerely hope you didn’t think I held the opinion that former President Bush was a moron; to the contrary, I always knew (and you just validated) that there was no such thing as a stupid fighter pilot.

Natan Scharansky (who used to be Anatoliy, but has changed his name since emigrating to Israel) found Bush to be intelligent and insightful during the time he spent with him on a visit to the white house. Good enough for me.

massrighty on May 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

massrighty on May 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Sorry about the way I worded that. I was trying to add to your original idea. Got clumsy with the wording…

bullseye on May 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM

bullseye on May 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Apology not required; I was worried that I had been less than clear.

BTW, I always got a kick out of how former President Bush could be both the giant idiot the left portrayed him as, and a cunning evil genius when he got over on them politically.

massrighty on May 30, 2009 at 10:18 PM

paint this obviously intelligent man

“Obvious”? Please cite examples. The ability to eloquently read words scrolling across a teleprompter is not a measure of brilliance. Hell, some of the dumbest actors in Hollywood are able to memorize lines and fool people into believing they are smart. What Barry does is not much different

Fed45 on May 31, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Obama: So explain to me exactly what this National Geospatial…uh…
Walter: [Umm it's classified...Mr. President...] Uh, we work with, uh, satellite imagery..

lol

PresidenToor on May 31, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Cripes, a large majority of maps and imagery products I use are made by the fine folks at the “National Geospatial…uh”. I’m just a customer, not the boss.

Active Listening aside, maybe he didn’t need to show he did not understand what the agency is/does. Tha cannot inspire a great deal of confidence.

Just ask the guy if he likes his work and moveon.org from there.

LTC John on June 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Looks like I’m not the only one who likes Five Guys.

hicsuget on June 1, 2009 at 10:00 AM