Gawker: Mancow’s waterboarding was a hoax; Mancow: No, it wasn’t; Update: Mancow on Olby again tonight

posted at 4:33 pm on May 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Yesterday they said it might be a hoax, today they’re saying it is a hoax, and a few hours ago Mancow posted at Big Hollywood to deny all charges. Read both Gawker items for the full rundown, but in a nutshell, they got hold of some e-mails sent by Mancow’s publicist the day before the stunt and found this:

It is going to have to look “real” but of course would be simulated with Mancow acting like he is drowning. It will be a hoax but have to look real. Would be great if they could dress in fatigues and bring whatever is needed. We will supply the water

Reached for comment, the publicist said she’d initially misunderstood that it would be real. Today they talked to Klay South, the Marine who did the pouring, and he came clean:

I know nothing about waterboarding. I had never done it before, I have no formal training in it, and I’ve never had it done to me. The only thing I knew was what I saw on the internet. I went to waterboarding.org and looked it up. I just did what I was told—poured the water on his face and that was it. I’m probably the last person they should have had do it. I didn’t know what I was doing.

They also note that, contra Hitchens, Mancow wasn’t restrained, didn’t have his face completely covered, wasn’t positioned on a full-body decline, and might have had the water poured on him inappropriately. To which Mancow replies: So what? It wasn’t supposed to be an exact recreation of CIA black sites, just a layman’s attempt to see what the fuss is about.

The CIA technique is exactly what we did:

1. Keep the chest elevated above the head and neck to keep the lungs “above the waterline.”

2. Incline the head, both to keep the throat open and to present the nostrils for easier filling.

3. Force the mouth open so that water can be poured into both the nose and mouth.

Question: If Mancow — who scoffed at waterboarding for years and even now in his Big Hollywood post insists he’d authorize it against terrorists to try to stop an attack — was going to fake his waterboarding, why wouldn’t he have popped up at the end and declared that it’s not torture? He would have gotten huge buzz for the stunt no matter what; the only difference if he’d laughed off the ordeal was that it would have come from the right instead of the left. What’s his motive in claiming that he suffered? It makes more sense to assume that, whether or not he went in there thinking it was a goof, he really did end up suffering. In which case (a) the waterboarding isn’t so much a hoax as an amateurish effort that ended up being surprisingly effective and (b) the fact that it was less severe than what detainees endure and yet Mancow’s still willing to call it torture makes him that much more compelling a spokesman.

Oh, fun footnote: Olbermann’s producers admitted that they knew about the publicist’s “hoax” e-mail before the interview with Mancow and yet Olby, ever intent on being told what he wants to hear, didn’t think to ask him about it. Should be a fun “Worst Person in the World” segment tonight.

Update: TV Newser says Mancow will be on “Countdown” again tonight to address Gawker’s report. Um, given Kayo’s supposedly passionate opposition to waterboarding, why did it take a gossip blog to inform our modern-day Murrow that the procedures used in Mancow’s stunt weren’t up to CIA specs?

Comments

So long as official US policies are not going to be based on Mancow, I do not so much care if it was a hoax. I thought Mancow was a shmuck before and more so now.

I do care that a media person interviewed Mancow, suspecting a hoax, but did not mention it on air.

myrenovations on May 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Or (c) he’s a shock jock, planned the whole thing for ratings, and is now watching his credibility bleed out like a stuck pig.

Paper trails can be a dangerous thing.
Funny, though. If he had the stones to do it properly he might have gotten some airtime on shows other than “Countdown to No Ratings.”

KingGold on May 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Well, just do it again so we can be sure.

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Whatever Mancow was going for here…he totally muffed it. There is no doubt, however, that Olby would have given him the time of day, unless Mancow had come to the ‘correct’ conclusion.

AUINSC on May 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Gosh, I always believe everything a disgraced radio disc jockey on a sh+t-for-brains ratings-starved show says………

Could my hero Mancow be less than honest here?

Really?

Waterboarding was apparently perfected at VMI, where the Keydets thought every man headed into the Army should be able to handle it. Now, in the Age of Squishy Aquarius, its torture

Janos Hunyadi on May 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM

What kind of buzz would he have gotten if he wasn’t traumatized by the incident? If there’s no payoff, it’s a non-starter.

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM

As I said in the original post, this was a bunch of bull$shit. That wasn’t anywhere near what we got at SERE. He was in total control of the situation and, AT MOST, experienced some temporary discomfort. Within two minutes of it being over, he was ready to go on with the rest of his show. Complete crock.

Roc on May 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Are you kidding? Fox and righty blogs would have been all over it.

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

more people have volunteered for waterboarding then actual Al Qaeda figures. That should tell you everything you need to know.

rob verdi on May 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I think it’s awesome that this is coming out. I hate fakers. But I’m really glad that KO bought it on his show!

therightscoop on May 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

He really needs a smack. This isn’t a bit! He’s giving fuel to people who would deny us the ability to do this to save lives.

What the video looks like to me is a guy who has his mouth closed while water is poured on him for a few seconds until he sits up and says “Whoa! That’s torture!”

Once a stupid shock jock, always a stupid shock jock.

Kensington on May 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Fearless prediction for School year 2009-2010: beerboarding!

WashJeff on May 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM

It seems that Mancow said what both sides wanted to hear. Since this particular form of enhanced interrogation was discontinued under the Pres. Bush’s administration isn’t beating a dead horse? Or maybe it’s just another distraction.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Mancow? Is he related to ManBearPig?

PappaMac on May 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Girl Cow.

Key West Reader on May 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Question: If Mancow…

because he gets more press by admitting to “a moment of truth”…that is why.
The drama was him coming to the realization that it is “torture”, no big deal if he said “Hey, it was bad, but just as I thought it was no real big deal”…it is about ratings.
Olby, O’R…Ratings…Ratings…Ratings…follow the money…

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM

If you aren’t going to do it right, you shouldn’t do it at all. His mouth wasn’t forced open, and I’m not sure if much actually went up his nose.

I don’t believe him. But believe him or not, I don’t think you can call what he did waterboarding.

therightscoop on May 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Second that.

Key West Reader on May 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM

why wouldn’t he have popped up at the end and declared that it’s not torture?

Mancow wants to be the token “Conservative” on MSNBC. The first place he went to be interviewed was Olbermann. This was a career move for him, which makes this worse because he whores his values for a cushy spot on TV.

portlandon on May 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

If Mancow had “endured” it and said it was no big deal, he’d be co-hosting “Fox and Friends” this week (er, talk about torture).

Hell, Ailes would have him hosting on weekends.

His incentive – if it was a hoax – was to brush it off.

SteveMG on May 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Do it for real until he admits it was a hoax.

Daggett on May 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Waterboard if you must.

I’ll do it if no one else wants to.

blatantblue on May 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Mancow=Useful idiot. Olby should make himself Worst Person in the World for putting this fool on his show.

youngO on May 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I’d waterboard all of Congress if I could.

They don’t seem to understand that terrorists have training camps, where they teach terror techniques, and where they teach defensive moves.

One could safely assume terrorists would have been aware of such techniques.

At least the CIA isn’t cutting off people’s heads to get information.

madmonkphotog on May 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Are you kidding? Fox and righty blogs would have been all over it.

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

They might have mentioned it, but it’s not sexy. “Radio host unfazed by having water poured on face” doesn’t have teeth. “Shock jock shocked by waterboarding – Decries interrogation technique as torture!” will sell. Let’s face it…Fox traded a huge chunk of its integrity for ratings a while ago.

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Good, I could tell this guy was a fraud the first time I heard him open his mouth. Always nice to have verification.

Zetterson on May 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Mancow? Is he related to ManBearPig?

PappaMac on May 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Come on, the post is seriall! If you want to joke, go to a different thread.

I’m a 100% seriall about this.

Joe Caps on May 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Maybe Girl Cow would be better suited to hold the hair of a vomiting maiden (Olbermann) at the Roman Vomitorium.

/SNL

Key West Reader on May 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I want to know, do they always use the plastic pitchers from Target? And then there’s the whole “it kind of looks like a trip to the dentist” thing. The whole thing looked like a big joke.

pcpower1 on May 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Are you kidding? Fox and righty blogs would have been all over it.

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Some of them would have I’m sure, but sites like Hotair and MM.com and Ace would’ve questioned the whole thing just as you did here. Give yourself some credit Allah.

Zetterson on May 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Are you kidding? Fox and righty blogs would have been all over it.

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Oooh, there’s a Lil’ O’Reilly in somebody here. Not all “righty blogs”. Just the WACKO righty blogs.

Marcus on May 29, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Man, I was hoping they bring special torture water.

Lance Murdock on May 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

not surprised, allot of MANCOW’s show is fake…

GREENTURTLE on May 29, 2009 at 5:01 PM

lefties have to be going bananas for believing this.

youngO on May 29, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Copied from the headlines…

Labor and delivery is torture…it hurts like hell, you have no guarantee that you will come out of it alive, and your body and mind are forever changed…

…mancow is a pussy.

Have a baby, man, then I might respect you!

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 9:37 AM

+100

…and you are lucky if it only lasts 10-12 hours.

bitsy on May 29, 2009 at 12:02 PM

It was 16 hours of labor, followed by a C-section.

Remind me….just how long did mancow last?

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Well, if it WASN’T a hoax he’s an extreme wussy.

I expected boobs like him to do this water boarding thing sooner or later though. Hell, I expect Bill O’Reilly to eventually do it too.

Doesn’t really mean anything anyway. Nobody that’s been “waterboarded” has been trained to resist it, nor have they been made to give up information they didn’t want to give up. Being set up in the first place they wouldn’t have anything to lose if they DID give up any info so this whole business of celebrities getting waterboarded is just stupid.

If they want to experience it for real, they ought to be given a secret and sent to the Egyptians to get it out of them. Let them squeal about torture THEN.

Spiritk9 on May 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Now we are wringing our hands over people named Mancow and Whoopie.

God help us.

faraway on May 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Girl Cow.

Key West Reader on May 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Wouldn’t that just be “Cow?”

29Victor on May 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Maybe this means we didn’t really waterboard terrorists either!

SouthernGent on May 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Is it safe to assume that Mancow would do just about anything for the Pub? Either way he is the subject of some controversy. Waterboarding must not be too bad, he’s still talking.

d1carter on May 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM

It was 16 hours of labor, followed by a C-section.

Remind me….just how long did mancow last?

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM

With our first kid the nurse had my wife pushing for a good hour. The doctor came in and said “the baby isn’t coming out this way” so she had a c-section. My son came out a conehead.

29Victor on May 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Fearless prediction for School year 2009-2010: beerboarding!

WashJeff on May 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Fearless prediction for 05/29/2009, Wineboarding!

…….. it’s Friday night afterall.

Seven Percent Solution on May 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM

There’s a lesson here, best not to lie in the first place, rather than lie and backtrack like an idiot. The left-wing however, are veterans at backtracking.

kirkill on May 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM

So, do I have this right then? Olby is going to have Mancow on a second time to explain what Olby already knew about, but didn’t mention the first time?

My head is going to explode…in a good way, of course.

AUINSC on May 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

now let him sit at the top of a 110-story building, surrounded by fire and smoke for an hour or more, then jumping to the steet below. then ask him if that was torture.

stormin1961 on May 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Well, just do it again so we can be sure.

Wethal on May 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

_____

vote: stunt

Branch Rickey on May 29, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Confirmed: Olby knowingly broadcasts frauds!!

PaCadle on May 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Man, I was hoping they bring special torture water.

Lance Murdock on May 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Like water that’s already been filtered through the interregator’s kidneys?

/waterworld

DrAllecon on May 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

All he’ll do on Olberdickk tonight is repeat the weaksauce defense he posted at Big Hollywood.

Ptew.

Kensington on May 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

My head is going to explode…in a good way, of course.

AUINSC on May 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Don’t kid yourself – Olberdouche is bringing him on in order to do a rant about how ugly is the right-wing blogosphere. Stand by for Gawker/John Cook to be named WPITW.

landshark on May 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

landshark on May 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I’ve never had Gawker pegged as a right wing site at all.

AUINSC on May 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I never understood why Fox and Friends had him on the show. I was in Chicago and listened to his show for all of 5 minutes. His mouth is something else. Let’s waterboard Schummer, Pelosi, Reid and Obama. Now that would sell tickets.

suzyk on May 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Oh, I forgot the best one to waterboard – Barney Frank – My Boy Lollipop.

suzyk on May 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Mancow is a pussy. A liar. A clown. etc.

Terrye on May 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Mancow? Is he related to ManBearPig?

PappaMac on May 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

lol, seriously LOL!

Branch Rickey on May 29, 2009 at 5:20 PM

What I don’t get is that why this matters. I don’t think I have heard anyone from the Right or the Left say “waterboarding is awesome you should try it.” It should be very uncomfortable and extremely unpleasant otherwise it doesn’t make any sense to use it to question someone.

txaggie on May 29, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Fake but aquarate!

Jim Treacher on May 29, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Oh my, someone strays from the flock … they must be liars too. Mancow needs to apologize immediately to Rush … and hey why were at it, Joe the Plumber better pony up too!

Monkei on May 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM

29Victor on May 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM

My wife was in labor the first time for 14 hours. The kid came out ass-first. A butthead. So did the second, but it only took 4 hours.

DarkCurrent on May 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Man up AlQaeda.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Running to Papa Olby for cover? That’s just sad. Worse than being waterboarded I think. Say hello to the Fonz on the other side of that shark tank.

Rational Thought on May 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM

DarkCurrent on May 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

At the risk of giving up TMI, I never progressed past 8 cm. The nurses said my son was “square headed”…LOL

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 6:00 PM

The nurses said my son was “square headed”…LOL

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 6:00 PM

At least he didn’t grow up to be a jarhead, right?

DarkCurrent on May 29, 2009 at 6:05 PM

You know, if his name was Seacow or Manatee, then I’d buy the waterboarding story. A guy named Mancow, though, is a sissy.

chunderroad on May 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM

This whole thing just continues to be too stupid to comment on.

J.E. Dyer on May 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM

DarkCurrent on May 29, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Not a jarhead, but an Airman.

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Next MSNBC torture simulation will be pouring Uberdouche a ’62 Chateau Lafite, but it turns out to be a ’63.

Chuck Schick on May 29, 2009 at 6:23 PM

txaggie on May 29, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Too much common sense…
“Waterboarding was difficult, but I think the “brain freeze” you get from gulping a margarita is much worse…” I just don’t think that is the kind of reaction they are looking for when trying to extract information from a terrorist bent on destroying our country.

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Not a jarhead, but an Airman.

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM

;-)

DarkCurrent on May 29, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Mancow is a piece of shit.

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

He didn’t suffer as much as I suffered reading through AP’s rationalization of fake but accurate. Seems to be a trend lately.

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I said it here first the other day – Mancow is not at all what he presents himself to be.

HadithHarry on May 29, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Mancow is a piece of shit.

TheBigOldDog on May 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I didn’t want to think that, but clearly he is. He’s nothing but an opportunist and a phony.

Kensington on May 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Mancow use to make a weekly appearance on Fox & Friends, I hope he doesn’t allow himself to become a tool of the Left. Speaking of tools for the Left, I just saw that Fox New Sunday will have Senators Spector and Graham. Might have to give that part a pass, two squishes.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Mancow is a jackass. Manmule would be better for him. FOX discredited itself having this moron on the air a few years ago. He should just go away, before the beclowning goes thermonuclear. He gives talk radio a bad name.

Brian1972 on May 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Oh my, someone strays from the flock … they must be liars too.

Monkei on May 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Former Leftist David Horowitz comes to mind…

Del Dolemonte on May 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Hey monkei, go tell someone in your party that you think abortion is murder. See how well you fare as you “stray from the flock.”

Zetterson on May 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

One more reason not to watch.

MES401067 on May 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I think this is a pretty good endorsement of waterboarding…these guys fold really quick and aren’t hurt even a little bit.

Thanks, I say.

tomas on May 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I’ve never had Gawker pegged as a right wing site at all.

AUINSC on May 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Oh. Hey. Neither have I. But we are talking about Olbermann here. It’s not as if “reporting facts” and telling the “truth” are, in any way, part of that particular clown show.

If he disagrees with it it is, by definition, conservative nutterism.

landshark on May 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

MSNLSD missed an opportunity to out do themselves by having O’Donnell provide the play by play action.

moxie_neanderthal on May 29, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I believe I posted that it had to be a hoax when it first was posted here; you can tell by watching it, ffs.

Midas on May 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

It was 16 hours of labor, followed by a C-section.

Remind me….just how long did mancow last?

ladyingray on May 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Srsly. My little girl was 36 hours of labor (and I thought it would be quick like my mother’s. Hah!). I might call torture if the US was forcing Al Queda members to give birth. Honestly, if there were no baby at the end of giving birth, I’d rather be waterboarded 10 times than go through it again. (And yet, here I am pregnant again. :P)

Christina D on May 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Are you kidding? Fox and righty blogs would have been all over it.

Allahpundit on May 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I honestly don’t think we’d have seen the same paroxysm of religious ecstasy exhibited by the left because a shock jock made an assertion.

Jim Treacher on May 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

“Mancow use to make a weekly appearance on Fox & Friends”

Yes. He also had (briefly) a Saturday night gig on Fox. When you throw your lot with Olberman, however, you’re skinny dipping in the cess-pit.

PS to Christina D on May 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM
The night my daughter was born my wife refused to go to the hospital until I promised her ice cream on the way home. (She told me it was “false labor”.) I got her to ER at 8:45 PM. Our daughter was born at 10:15. Hope your next experience is that easy.

oldleprechaun on May 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM

as long as The Mancow is on the radio Joe Scarbourough(sick) won’t have the worst show or will he?

JohnBissell on May 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I’ve been saying this since 1994 or so…

Mancow is a plagiarizing, lying, low-class, hypocritical dirtbag.

ynot4tony2 on May 30, 2009 at 7:36 PM

The CIA technique is exactly what we did:

Then Mancow is an idiot cuz he didn’t bother to READ “The CIA technique” as pre the ”torture memo” referenced at “waterboarding.org”

This causes an increase in carbon dioxide level in the individual’s blood.
This effort plus the cloth produces the perception of “suffocation and incipient panic,” i.e., the perception of drowning.
The individual does not breathe any water into his lungs. During those 20 to 40 seconds, water is continuously applied from a height of twelve to twenty-four inches.
After this period, the cloth is lifted, and the individual is allowed to breathe unimpeded for three or four full breaths. the sensation of drowning is immediately relieved by the removal of the cloth.

The CIA technique is exactly what we did:

Note the CIA technique cited makes it painfully clear NO WATER IS POURED INTO THE MOUTH NOSE or throat.
A cloth is placed over the forehead and eyes.

Water is then applied to the cloth in a controlled manner.

NOTE: water to cloth NOT throat, nostrils!
How the flock could you miss read water poured onto a cloth to be water poured down your throat? Who is that flocking stupid?

At no time is water allowed to get into the nose and mouth. It couldn’t be more clear, read the flocking discription!

Once the cloth is saturated and completely covers the mouth and nose, air flow is slightly restricted for 20 to 40 seconds due to the presence of the cloth.

This causes an increase in carbon dioxide level in the individual’s blood. This increase in the carbon dioxide level stimulates increased effort to breathe.

The individual does not breathe any water into his lungs.

As this is done, the cloth is lowered until it covers both the nose and mouth.

D