Video: Jackass NYC mayor throws tantrum over tough question

posted at 6:38 pm on May 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

Like a certain other power-hungry “post-partisan” chief executive we know and don’t love, he doesn’t appreciate being challenged. It’s Mike Bloomberg, two-term mayor of New York, now running for a third term after the city amended its term-limits law (which it didn’t do for Giuliani after 9/11) to clear the way. The rationale, supposedly, was that Bloomy’s mad financial skillz were needed at the helm to steer NYC through the financial crisis and recession. Which caused New York Observer reporter Azi Paybarah to wonder: If the crisis is ending and the economy’s coming back, why exactly do we still need Bloomberg? See for yourself how a guy with a sense of entitlement buoyed by political power and billions in the bank deals with a fair query about that. If you can’t make out what he sneers at the very end, let the Times enlighten you.

Comments

Can’t you see that I am Mayor for Life Idi Amin Bloomberg…

Kuffar on May 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Another RINO. How is he helping the Republicans pick up votes again?

AUINSC on May 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I can imagine Obama doing this too. Repeal term limits.

promachus on May 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I won.

Princeps on May 28, 2009 at 6:45 PM

““You are a disgrace.””

I’m going to have to remember that one……….

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 6:45 PM

he actully murmurs “disgrace” at the end. What a big baby.

portlandon on May 28, 2009 at 6:45 PM

AUINSC on May 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I believe Bloomberg is now an Independent.

katiejane on May 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM

katiejane on May 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Thanks..yep, I forgot…I’m relieved.

AUINSC on May 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM

eh…so he got pissed. Kinda surprising but it happens. I still think he’s head and shoulders above any other mayoral candidate that I’ve heard mentioned.

DarkKnight3565 on May 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM

He has always looked a little like Putin and now he is acting like Putin…

RedSoxNation on May 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Bloomie’s answer to this question HAS GOT TO BE the ongoing theme in the battle to defeat him ….

What a POS!

seanrobins on May 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM

That ought to be some good video for a campaign commercial.

boomer on May 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM

That’s what I love about you, Allah: you’re the only other person in the world who doesn’t think Bloomberg is orgasmically wonderful.

Alex K on May 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Another RINO.

AUINSC on May 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM

At last, an instance in HA comments when the term RINO is appropriately applied.

But dontcha know that Nanny Bloomy knows what’s best for us? Can’t smoke, eat fried foods, or buy *gasp* soda in schools…

JetBoy on May 28, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Many are leaving New York, for lower taxed states. How is this a success?

capejasmine on May 28, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Wow, that was ugly. His usual M.O. is to issue an apology and all will be forgiven.
The fact will remain, he made his point, don’t dare ask the tough questions or else I will shame you.
I’m generally OK with Bloomberg but this was an unprofessional, uncalled for encounter.

FireBlogger on May 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Just once…please…someone ask Obama a relevent question! I’m betting the reaction would be similiar.

SouthernGent on May 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM

These people act and think they are the equivalent of kings and queens.

JellyToast on May 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Alex K on May 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM

There are a lot of us out here who hold that opinion about Bloomberg.

He exercises a sense of privilege that’s workable if one’s in a boardroom of one’s own company — Bloomberg’s reality — and he applies that to public office, which is whyhe’s offensive in public office.

He’s deigning to even respond to the public; people don’t like it.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM

JetBoy on May 28, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Thanks…but I messed up…he’s a former RINO…went independent in 2007…yet I still see him as a RINO.

AUINSC on May 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM

First, the economy isn’t coming back any time soon or very quickly. And it’s important to have good fiscal management in good times, not just bad ones. Many municipalities and cities are in deep crap today because they didn’t save for a rainy day when times were flush.

And as for a nit fit from Mike – so be it – he is by far the best mayor NYC has seen in decades and so far superior to any would-be challenger on the horizon that he can be forgiven the occasional bad manners. Is he perfect? Of course not – but in the end the voters will decide if he’s third-term worthy. For my money, he is.

redfoxbluestate on May 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM

…”You, in the suits! Eject this peasant!”….

Frankly, how dare citizens raise such an insulting question to their betters, let alone a mere scribbler! Off with his head!

From democracy to a defacto ruling class in three generations…there’s change for ya….

Puritan1648 on May 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM

wow, i’d like to see fox cover this.

therightscoop on May 28, 2009 at 6:58 PM

SouthernGent on May 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Isn’t THAT the truth! As narcissistic as he is, I think he’d have a meltdown that would be delicious to watch.

If only….

tru2tx on May 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Elitist turd.

rplat on May 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I believe we are seeing the rise of a new class in this Country, the Political Class. This attitude exemplifies that and we are starting to see more and more of it. Englands royalty is finally returning to the colonies.

MichiganMatt on May 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh boy,if looks could kill!!

I cannot believe you had the audacity,nerve,and
sheer guts,and splash of stupidity to ask me that
question!

The gall,oh my!!!(Snark).

canopfor on May 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM

If the citizens of NYC re-elect this bozo, they deserve him.

ladyingray on May 28, 2009 at 7:12 PM

3rd term? What?

WisCon on May 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Bring back Rudy! Or send him to Albany…

Steve Z on May 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM

What? No trans fat question?

RobCon on May 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

These aholes despise us.

ronsfi on May 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I didn’t think it that tough of a question….

d1carter on May 28, 2009 at 7:36 PM

MichiganMatt on May 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM

The royalty can return, if they want to, but, I don’t think they’re going to like the welcoming party.

Of course, as long as they go slowly enough (lobster in a pot of water slow), we probably won’t realize it until it’s too late. That’s the one bright side to Obama….he seems to be moving way too quickly.

JadeNYU on May 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

He’s not a very good politician. A good politician would’ve taken the chance to say, “The recovery is not irreversible, and not only that, but the fact that our town was hit so hard shows that our economic foundation could use shoring up. I think voters can look ahead and see that we need a mayor who will look to the future, not just focus on the immediate and present – which is what got us into this mess to begin with. I’ll be able…” blah blah blah.

Not, “stfu n00b lol kthxbye”

apollyonbob on May 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

OT: Awesome video of Craig T. Nelson (Coach dude) on Glenn Beck on Ace’s place.

deidre on May 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM

cant wait to see Bloomberg deal with Thompson on the campaign, should be SWEEEET karma for the way he treated Hill in our primary, raaaaacist!!! yes it all comes back to that for we patriots formerly known as Dems, I am slowly watching the karma roll downhill on these entitled prixcks
from that Times piece:

The campaign of City Comptroller William C. Thompson Jr., who is the leading Democratic candidate planning to challenge Mr. Bloomberg, wasted no time in pouncing on the remark.

“What’s disgraceful is the mayor’s refusal to answer the tough questions,” Anne Fenton, a Thompson campaign spokeswoman, said in a statement. “Calling people names, having staff block cameras and
bullying the press aren’t going to stop people from asking the mayor to explain his term limits bait and switch.”

ginaswo on May 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM

promachus on May 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Term Limits????

I just caught this in the comments at a different site.

Was I absent the day this got mentioned????
Text of H. J. Res. 5: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second…

Knucklehead on May 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM

If he stops being mayor, who will stop us from smoking, eating salt or eating trans fats? You know, government stuff!

Kensington on May 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Knucklehead on May 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM

What is the amount of time a proposed amendment has to make it through the states? I honstly can’t imagine this amendment would get the number of states needed to pass this amendment.

ladyingray on May 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Bloomberg is just another mini-me Adolf.

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

“Mr. Obama now that the unemployment rate has dropped to 19.9% and the border skirmishes with North Korea and the New Soviet Union and Venezuela have leveled off and did not lead to WWIII will you still be not moving forward with the suspension of the 22nd Amend….”

Obama: “You are a disgrace!”

Caper29 on May 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM

touchy touchy

Joe Caps on May 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

ladyingray on May 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I have no idea how long it takes, I just freaked when I saw it.

I wouldn’t be to sure about it not getting enough states to pass it though. That KoolAid is strong stuff.

Knucklehead on May 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM

In 2001, Bloomberg was lucky. 9/11 had just happened and hid Democrat opponent was Mark Green, one of the dumbest people on earth.

Since then, Bloomberg has donated to charity/non-profits about $100 million a year. (All legal, and all deductible on his personal income tax.) This was his way around caompaign financing limitations This has bought him power in many different parts of New York.

So now we are faced with the situation of a power hungry mayor who can buy anything he wants.

None of the media in NYC will challenge this guy.

However, he can still lose. I’m voting for whoever the Democrats put up. He/she/it can be kicked out in four years.

patch on May 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM

He’s rather thin-skinned for a New Yorker.

Asher on May 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM

That reporter was nothing but a impudent pest
Not wanting to give his highness a much needed rest
To him it should have been so easy to explain
Micheal Bloomberg clearly thinks he’s George the Third or perhaps the Queen of Spain

PercyB on May 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

OT but I need help. Can someone please give me a short, consice, easy to understand answer as to why implementing an European style VAT tax would be bad for the US? Thanks.

txag92 on May 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Knucklehead on May 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Could they get 37 states?

The Amendment Process

There are essentially two ways spelled out in the Constitution for how to propose an amendment. One has never been used.

The first method is for a bill to pass both houses of the legislature, by a two-thirds majority in each. Once the bill has passed both houses, it goes on to the states. This is the route taken by all current amendments. Because of some long outstanding amendments, such as the 27th, Congress will normally put a time limit (typically seven years) for the bill to be approved as an amendment (for example, see the 21st and 22nd).

The second method prescribed is for a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States, and for that Convention to propose one or more amendments. These amendments are then sent to the states to be approved by three-fourths of the legislatures or conventions. This route has never been taken, and there is discussion in political science circles about just how such a convention would be convened, and what kind of changes it would bring about.

Regardless of which of the two proposal routes is taken, the amendment must be ratified, or approved, by three-fourths of states. There are two ways to do this, too. The text of the amendment may specify whether the bill must be passed by the state legislatures or by a state convention. See the Ratification Convention Page for a discussion of the make up of a convention. Amendments are sent to the legislatures of the states by default. Only one amendment, the 21st, specified a convention. In any case, passage by the legislature or convention is by simple majority.

The Constitution, then, spells out four paths for an amendment:

Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state conventions (never used)
Proposal by convention of states, ratification by state legislatures (never used)
Proposal by Congress, ratification by state conventions (used once)
Proposal by Congress, ratification by state legislatures (used all other times)
It is interesting to note that at no point does the President have a role in the formal amendment process (though he would be free to make his opinion known). He cannot veto an amendment proposal, nor a ratification. This point is clear in Article 5, and was reaffirmed by the Supreme Court in Hollingsworth v Virginia (3 US 378 [1798]):

ladyingray on May 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Maybe hussein is starting a trend.

christene on May 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM

We have a populace with an entitlement mentality because they are emulating politicians with the same arrogant sense of being “exceptional” (and I don’t mean to flatter them). Obama has already shown his stripes when reporters go off the script and ask real questions. Politics ain’t any fun when you have to deal with the hard stuff.

College Prof on May 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM

JadeNYU on May 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I agree. Obama is moving fast and it may be to our advantage. But don’t underestimate how outnumbered we may actually be. There are many whom would bow down at the throne of these types in hopes of getting their share. Most will just not care at all though.

MichiganMatt on May 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Glad I got the hell out of there. Out of NYS altogether is next,maybe even the country. Portugal is looking mighty good.

gbear on May 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Bloomberg is just another mini-me Adolf.

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM

It seems pervasive among people who gain public office today: they’re assuming they are “classed” as “rulers” and their imbalance offends essential tenets of democracy.

People want service, not dictates. That’s the problem.

Public office attracts, from my experience, two kinds of people:

(1.) those with existing multi-assets who have a need for power and more power (they’re assuming they’re of a ruling-class, in other words, and society is their garden for rearranging at will), and,

(2.) those who need public-dole for life.

Both pose real problems for democracies, to state the obvious. Bloomberg’s obviously the first kind, Obama’s a mix of both kinds (worst possible type), Pelosi/Feinstein/Kennedy/Schwarzenegger, et al are type (1.), Rangel, Bawney Fwanks and others are type (2.).

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 8:33 PM

He is the perfect poster boy for term limits.

Wade on May 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM

unfortunately, ill have to hold my nose and vote for him since no one else of any worth is running

Chiasmos on May 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM

gbear on May 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM

The interesting thing about these wealthy political “operatives” bent on class-rule (theirs) is that most of them live outside the United States.

They maintain residencies IN the U.S. and do business here but they all (or at least, most of them) live outside the U.S. for the same reasons you’re considering Portugal (though I don’t mean to associate your motives with theirs).

All the hugely wealthy Hollywood donors to the DNC, they ALL enjoy life outside the U.S. (Spielberg, for example, lives near Portugal on his own island), Oprah, the Caribbean, etc.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Wow. I’ve thought he was a d-bag for many years, and now I have further proof. I gave my city councilman an earful when the council repealed the term limits (which were, by the way, passed by referendum twice!) so this nanny-state jerkoff could run again. So far the only thing I have liked about his term as mayor was when he got bit by Chuck the Groundhog this year out on Staten Island.

If only the electorate had the same sense as the rodent!

Fallen Sparrow on May 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Another RINO. How is he helping the Republicans pick up votes again?

AUINSC on May 28, 2009 at 6:42 PM

He’s a Republican?

Jesus Christ skateboarding on a cracker.

Introduce me to an equivalent Democrat, because I’d love to vote for them.

MadisonConservative on May 28, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Jackass indeed.

King of the Britons on May 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM

MadisonConservative on May 28, 2009 at 9:28 PM

No. He was until 2007, then became an independent. I corrected that further in the comments. He’s still the model of a RINO to me though.

AUINSC on May 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Straight from a page in the same book Hugo Chavez apparently gets his mad leadership skills from… El Presidente’ for Life!

SilverStar830 on May 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I thought the people decided (TWICE!) that 2 terms was the limit. Guess that decision wasn’t good enough.

serapheem on May 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Damn…wrong thread…disregard.

Asher on May 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM

He’s rather thin-skinned for a New Yorker.

Asher on May 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM

All New Yorkers are thin-skinned.
Thick hides are in Chicago.

Stephen M on May 28, 2009 at 10:18 PM

I really never saw the point of giving a 3rd term limit, Bloomberg did nothing for this city in his first 2 terms to show he knew how to run an economy correctly, now he’s trying to tax his way out of everything and threw a hissyfit to shut down time square since he didn’t get his way.

We’re already getting tons of his ads each day with no sign of who will face him, lets hope we can pull out Johny Damon to run for Mayor.

Rbastid on May 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Another embarraingly rich, powerful Jewish politician from NY, one who uses that power and influence solely in his own favor to bypass locally voted laws…term limits…scoffs at the common man (the media) for asking a pointed and valid question?

Whould’a thunk it?

Time left ’till I am called an anti-Semite for stating the painfully obvious?
5…4…3…2…

So be it.

awake on May 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Remember he just had a billionaire’s secret meeting with Rockefeller (mr. evil himself), Bill Gates, Oprah, Buffet, Teddy Turner, et al.

They are the ELITES. They are discussing POPULATION CONTROL.

They are GOD …. or so they think.

Remember this guy David Rockefeller: started as a Fabian in college and has had his dirty little fingers in every elite society since …… when you hear the “one world government” conspiracy stories, this is the guy: David Rockefeller.

And to him, they aren’t stories.

ex-Democrat on May 28, 2009 at 11:26 PM

…and more importantly, the greatest prognostigator in US history, Norman Thomas:

“The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of ‘liberalism’ they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.”

Norman Thomas – 1948.

awake on May 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM

The people will decide if my power grab is okay, so shut up!

profitsbeard on May 29, 2009 at 1:04 AM

now running for a third term after the city amended its term-limits law

Scary. Thank god amending the Constitution isn’t so easy.

amkun on May 29, 2009 at 2:22 AM

If Bloomy spent half as much time using his “mad financial skillz” as he does trying to tighten gun control laws in Virginia, NY would be oozing money at the seams.

TugboatPhil on May 29, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The glaring look Bloombutt gave that reporter at the very very end of the vid tells you allllll you need to know.

44Magnum on May 29, 2009 at 10:17 AM

“I really never saw the point of giving a 3rd term…”
Neither did anybody else except his hand-maidens on the city council.

Mr. Grump on May 29, 2009 at 10:20 AM