Tancredo: Sotomayor’s a member of the “Latino KKK”

posted at 10:09 pm on May 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

The “Latino KKK” in this case meaning the National Council of La Raza, about which the boss has written eloquently and at great length. Three things here. First, I’ve fed Olby enough crap sandwiches over the years for comparing conservative pundits and Fox News to jihadis not to let Tanc get away with the equivalent. Unless they’re making bombs, it’s always poor form to compare your opponents to terrorists. Second, he’s simply wrong on the facts. As HuffPo notes, it’s not La Raza whose motto is “All for the race. Nothing for the rest,” it’s MEChA (“For La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada.”). There are links between the two groups — this 2006 Human Events piece by Charlie Norwood is essential — but La Raza’s considerably more mainstream than MEChA, which calls for the reclamation of the American southwest by Latinos. Third, I realize that any concession to electoral reality is disdained by “true conservatives” as the hallmark of a squishy RINO, but with Republicans nervous about alienating Hispanic voters by confronting Sotomayor, how wise is it for the most vociferous amnesty opponent in America to be doing the rounds on cable news throwing verbal grenades like this? You worked hard in Congress for a long time, Tanc. Take a break. Especially now that the GOP’s got a tiny bit of traction in making Democrats squirm over her “wise Latina” comment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

maverick muse on May 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I have email Ed, I am probably classified as certifiable now. Oh, well the secret had to break sometime.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM

You guys stop arguing.

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM

maverick muse on May 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Crack is bad, mmmkay? Make some sense next time.

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Cindy Munford on May 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Back on topic.

maverick muse on May 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM

If MEChA wants the SW back, maybe we could sell them Calif. for enough oil to last us into the next century. That way we get out from under their debt and get the energy we need. Problem solved.

Kissmygrits on May 29, 2009 at 10:14 AM

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Ideas are interesting, as are discussions that stay on topic.

You make everything about your sex life. Do it on your own thread. It gets tiresome to read your off topic graffiti on other threads than your own. You even misdirected the question concerning Loxodonta’s well being into your own juvenile hijack.

If you want to discuss the topic, my 9am response is up there. Sorry, I missed your comment regarding Tancredo and La Raza on this thread.

maverick muse on May 29, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I don’t know alot about La Raza, but if there were an organization for whites called the National Council for The Race, it would immediately be branded in the same category as the KKK and Neo-Nazis. Just sayin’.

CP on May 29, 2009 at 10:17 AM

maverick muse on May 29, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Yeah, you did:

However, as with a couple of the posters, I would point out that La Raza is as much a terrorism-promoting organization as, say, CAIR. They preach violence, while not themselves committing it. It’s a fair comparison, and Olby’s comparison of right-wing groups that do not preach violence isn’t equal.

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM

If you’ve got a complaint about OT posting, perhaps your response shouldn’t be your own OT posting.

MadisonConservative on May 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM

MECHA could not exist without LaRaza…MECHA is basically the student version, more radical, and aimed at schools.
But LaRaza basically supports all of the issues, they just deal with adults, so they can’t tell the truth and explain their real agenda.

right2bright on May 29, 2009 at 10:32 AM

La Raza has been a big player in pushing down reports on Latino on Black hate crimes. Tancredo, for all his faults, was the only Republican to come forward after the Newark Massacre and offer his support to the grieving families. For that I’m eternally grateful, since my mother has to pass through Newark now to get to and from work and I have a lot of family in Essex county. I fear for Black members of my family as more and more Latinos import a culture of anti-Black racism into the US.

Was his comment inartful? Sure. But was he right? Hell yes.

Rob Taylor on May 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Like jenine Gerafilo said, “it’s racism straight up”.

Newt is right. I’m tired of pulling punches to not offend latinos. Truth is truth and what’s right is right. I’m not racist enough to think that latinos of sound mind are incapable of making responsible decisions.

This woman was picked strictly for her race, not her qualifications. This whole deal reeks of racism.

saiga on May 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Was his comment inartful? Sure. But was he right? Hell yes.

Rob Taylor on May 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM

The PC crowd is at war with the truth, and wants to force feed some fantacy land utopian myth about American sub-cultures.

We are never going to heal race relations until we can have frank, honest discussions about sub-cultures.

Blacks and browns are not the problem; but many of the black and brown cultural charectaristics are a disaster for America. The Victim mind set is a drug to ease the pain of cultural shortcomings, and that drug blocks progress on airing out reality.

There is no substitute personal responsibilit and effort whan it comes to respect and one’s place in society. If your culture teaches lazyness,victimhood, and pride for accepting something you haven’t earned or diserve, it is a debilitating problem.

saiga on May 29, 2009 at 10:48 AM

saiga on May 29, 2009 at 10:48 AM

The solution is education but it doesn’t get promoted in minority communities. Trends get promoted, like American Idol and tabloid culture, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears ect…hedonist. The last thing the Government wants is an educated electorate, that understands how the system is supposed to work, and if it was allowed to, they would benefit, and not be stuck in dead end – poor neighborhoods.

Work Smarter – Not Harder. It takes an education.

Dr Evil on May 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

But I’m also a pragmatist who wants to win influence in the government again.

aero on May 29, 2009 at 1:39 AM

See, this is where a lot of us disagree with you. I don’t think that calling a racist group “racist” is going to keep conservatives from winning elections, and if it does, then we’ve passed the point of no return and the type of influence a so-called “conservative” party will ever win will be essentially useless to change that fact.

I agree with those who call this a “teachable moment”. Most people know nothing about La Raza, and it’s our chance to plant some seeds and define them as the racist organization that they are. Tanc could always come out and say, “I was probably engaging in a bit of hyperbole in calling La Raza ‘the Latino KKK’ — in actuality, they are more like the Latino Aryan Nation”, and then point exactly how that is. But like that Patton quote MB4 posted, you don’t shy away from the fight today because you might have a more perfect plan in some tomorrow. You attack and attack and attack some more.

holygoat on May 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM

If people don’t want to hear this from Tancrado, would they listen to an Indigenous person from the South West? Aztlan is a Lie.

Dr Evil on May 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I’d like to see a little more of this non-stop outrage directed at the economic fascism being railroaded through, instead of at an SCOTUS appointment that’s going to happen regardless.

califcon on May 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM

The economic fascism you speak of is going to happen regardless too, so I guess we should just sit that one out as well.

xblade on May 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM

There was an Apache tribe already in Texas, although Bill O’Reilly left that out on his program, he just mentioned when another Apache tribe migrated into Arizona. The Lipan Apache fought along side the folks at the Alamo, they raided south of the Rio Grande into Mexico. The idea that the present SW is this mythical place called Aztlan by La Raza, never gets called out? And Judge Sotomayer supports La Raza. So Sotomayer has a geography deficit too?
The fact is there were indigenous people already living in the SW of what is now present day United States. Ask a member of the Apache tribe. The people to the south have invaded before. The La Raza connection should be pounded over and over and over.

Dr Evil on May 29, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Well, the last few days have been a “bellweather” for me.

We see the chairman of the Republican National Senatorial Committee putting his hand down into picking winners and losers in Republican PRIMARIES – when it’s the Republican voters who should pick who the candidates should be. Isn’t this a bit like the Iranian system – where the Mullah’s essentially say who can run and who can’t? I’ll be damned if I support a Republican Party that says that’s acceptable conduct.

We see Republicans – at every turn – wimping out and allowing this nation to slide into socialism. This nation needs PATRIOTS – men who speak out even it means the loss of their political livelihood. It’s clear to me that too many in the GOP leadership are actually political cowards.

We see GOP leaders now openly slamming Limbaugh. What a bunch of dopeheads – that’s equivalent to excommunicating the Conservative wing of your party – Good Luck with that. I’ll note here that the Democrats never “excommunicated” MoveOn.Org when they called General Petraeus … “General Betrayus”. That’s because the Dems know where their bread is buttered. Republicans apparently don’t.

We see GOP leaders (except for a few) too afraid to apply the same standard to Sotomeyer that was applied to Trent Lott in his statements.

I’m just really SICK OF REPUBLICANS – AND I GIVE UP.

I’m no longer a Republican. I look out the Democratic field – and I see people like Harry Reid, and John Kerry, and Dick Durbin – who all maligned our troops and pronounced the Iraq war “lost”. And those people are in charge of the nation now.

I look at Obama – a man who attended a racist church for 20 years – and that man is charge of the nation now.

And then I look at the GOP – who is too fearful to question Sotomeyer about her racism and I think – WHY AM I WASTING MY TIME WITH THESE PEOPLE??

Forget ‘em. I’ll still contribute to SarahPac – because maybe she’ll come around. I’d like to see a third party next year – or at least by 2012. A Conservative Party – and I’d like to see Palin or some other equally charasmatic person run in it. And then KILL OFF THE GOP for good. Let the moderates have the party – I don’t care anymore.

I will not vote for another Republican in my life that isn’t a hard core conservative. Let ‘em run who they want – if they ever run another McCain – I’ll vote for Obama. I’m just sick of belonging to a party that has no guts.

HondaV65 on May 29, 2009 at 1:18 PM

So MEChA is basically the militant arm of LaRaza, sorta like the Hamas / PLO relationship..ok, that sounds harmless.

Lawdy knows no one would blink an eye at a white SCOTUS nominee who was a member of a gang of white people calling themselves “The Race”.

Alden Pyle on May 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Wait so you are saying:

KKK=Racist Whites

La Raza!=Racist Latinos

I’m confused. What does La Raza again mean, after all I may be wrong.

The Race…So by definition they are racist.

Tim Burton on May 29, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Isn’t it interesting that KKK and La Raza are supposed to be opposite ends of a hate-continuum and yet NO Reoublican belongs to either and Democrats belong to BOTH. Don’t forget Robert Byrd. Now that’s what I call a BIG TENT.

MaiDee on May 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM