Moderate conservative: Gee, maybe I shouldn’t have voted for Obama

posted at 5:24 pm on May 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

Turns out he’s an inexperienced statist liberal. Oh, and evidently the media’s in the tank for him. Who knew?

Admittedly, I was one of the moderate conservatives who was wooed by Obama during his PR campaign to become the country’s next president. Sadly, even though I was still unsure of my vote until the week before the election, I know better now. I truly had no idea he would turn out to be the radical tax and spend liberal he’s revealed. Since the beginning of his presidency, Obama seems more interested in making policies and decisions that grab headlines than those in the best interests of the country. The announcement of his whopping $3 trillion budget, trailing the $800 billion bank bailout, was shocking and yet the media seemed to rally around him. The president wants to do everything at one time, national healthcare, economy, taxes (wealth redistribution), clean energy, infrastructure, education and more. He acts very king-like, expecting Congress to endorse everything he floats their way, but his high octane PR strategy–loaded with smiles and good oratory may be fading…

These recent events, the planned closing of Gitmo and “CIA-gate”, have made the president look very inexperienced and unpolished in his ability to lead the nation and only widened the partisan bickering in Washington. Oh, yeah and Speaker Pelosi’s memory lapse over when and what she knew about waterboarding looks sloppy, as if she’s trying to hide the truth. It doesn’t help the president and certainly doesn’t look like change we can believe in or need.

“A smile and eloquent speech won’t make it all right,” she concludes. Why not? It was good enough to win the presidency. Enjoy this, though, because if you think Buckley, Noonan, Parker or any other “conservative” who was soft on The One during the campaign is going to feed their ego a shinola sandwich over it in print the way this woman has, you’re kidding yourselves. In fact, Buckley’s already written a defense of his vote, the basic logic of which was that Obama’s a disaster but still one cool cat. Sigh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What is a moderate conservative? If you voted for the Bomma, how can you call be called a conservative? A moderate conservative is just a blue dog liberal.

Kjeil on May 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM

If you bought what the MSM was selling Obama was a pragmatic moderate who was going to cut your taxes. You’d think people who have learned their lesson in 92 – but heck, 52% of the electorate has trouble remembering anything that happened in 01…

18-1 on May 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM

So Buckley’s defense of Ortega, Castro, Chavez, Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Pol Pot and Mugabe, would be they’re disasters, but they’re real cool cats? Obviously that apple fell far from the tree. Is it possible that WFB’s wife had a secret affair that sired this libtard half blood?
I’d hate to think he came full from the loins of WFB, may he rest in peace.

eaglewingz08 on May 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Mr. Obama spends money like its coming out of his own piggy bank…

If only that were true. I guess “moderate conservatives” aren’t familiar with Milton Friedman.

As for the larger point – yeah, who could have guessed that Obama might be anything other than completely competent? Didn’t see that coming.

landshark on May 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM

The celebrities above may have motives for this minuet that has nothing to do with real principles. Spotlights slip away easily but the media loves renegade Republicans.

Ahem Ahem….I have held back as long as I could. There are TONS of people who vote on style points. Why, it takes a lot less analysis and consideration than worrying about those dadburn ISSUES!

Look at President Reagan’s election. It drove the Dems nuts. He had style and a dream and he had communication talent, a great faith in our nation and its basic freedoms and circumstances were on his side. Great things happened.

Now we have The One and the gadflys and ignorant RINO voters swooned and deserted the Republicans. He has style and a dream and a talent to make speeches. Unlike President Reagan, our basic freedoms have not helped the people he loves. Our nation has a shameful past in His view. His endless backstabbing of President Bush is a view of the finishing touches on his portrait of our nation.

The worst ingredient is that circumstances are not friendly for The One. And we shall all suffer with the turncoats.

IlikedAUH2O on May 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Yeah, who woulda thought Obama would turn out to be exactly what he was brought up to be, and showed his entire political career he was.

“Moderates” proves yet again that if you “don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”

catmman on May 28, 2009 at 10:07 PM

What in the heck is a “moderate conservative”? Someone more smarter than I, please educate me. Does this mean there are also “liberal conservatives”? Is Obama a “socialist capitalist”?

paulsur on May 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Who knew? I knew.

t.ferg on May 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM

18-1 on May 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM

You know, I really like your comments but I absolutely hate your name. I read an insightful comment then followed by a name which refuses to allow the wounds of this New England Patriots fan to heal.

Daemonocracy on May 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM

ummmmm. huh? She thought that he was going to do all of the stuff he promised without spending? And get the money for it without taxing.

I call BS.

29Victor on May 29, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Lying to yourself, like this “moderate”, is worse than lying to others, like Obama, because Obama honestly knew he was lying.

He was a calculating political crapweasel, but not a self-deluding zombie.

Which means, for all his ideological faults, he’s wasn’t stupid.

profitsbeard on May 29, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Um, the title of “most liberal member of the Senate” and his partialness to infanctide should have clued you off.

These people are unbelievable. F’ing idiots.

amkun on May 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Until now, only the fools have been being heard. The state of our union, proves my point.

Griz on May 29, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Hmmm. “NewMajority”. Veddddy Eeeenntressstink…

That’s such a pretty little blog you linked to there, AP. Pity it seems like no one actually bothers to read it, based on the low numbers of comments, because it’s just so gosh darn insightful

/sarc

Wanderlust on May 29, 2009 at 6:19 AM

This is statement is, umm, what’s the word? Oh yeah: a lie. She knew exactly what she was getting. Barry made no bones about who and what he was/is. Pretending that you didn’t know this is BS. If, instead, she’d have said, “Oh, I know that he’s a Marxist, but he’s so much prettier than McCain and I will therefore vote for him”, I’d have at least respected her honesty. As it is, I give her no kudos for her awakening now. Instead, I hold her in the contempt she deserves.

Physics Geek on May 29, 2009 at 8:02 AM

A lot late and how many Trillions short?

SandyToes on May 29, 2009 at 8:45 AM

You madame, are a mucking foron. Thanks to you, and dolts like you, our health care system is about to be thrown into the cesspit–irrevocably (once you give out an ‘entitlement’, you can’t get rid of it). Our world leadership in medical & drug research, destroyed. Investment in new energy production, ended (no more coal or nuke plants). Our already lagging economic competitiveness, totally killed. Our national security fatally handicapped (as already seen in an emasculated, demoralized CIA). Our Constitutional rights ended–what, you think Sotomayor or Ogabe’s other appointees are going to let us keep our guns??? Oh yeah, and within a decade US Gov’t bonds will be degraded to junk status.

Thanks a lot, idiot. Next time, just stay home from the polls. I don’t want you voting–and you should be too ashamed to vote anyway.

quikstrike98 on May 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM

November 4, 2008, the day our country stumbled fell.

Fixed it for you. The economic, military, and constitutional catastrophe being cooked up by Ogabe is irreversible.

quikstrike98 on May 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM

quickstrike –

Come on now, tell us how you really feel. All kidding aside, I agree with your asessment.

Dukehoopsfan on May 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM