Video: O’Reilly smears Hot Air

posted at 10:22 pm on May 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Ah, there’s nothing like yanking a comment out of context and using it to smear the entire site, even though neither Ed nor I have ever referred to Obama as “Hussein.” Bonus points to O’R for referring to the comment in question as a “blog posting” even though it’s anything but. And before our lefty commenters ask, yes, I have defended Kos from similar charges.

Exit question: How guilty to hold Carpenter for not objecting more vociferously in Hot Air’s defense?

Update (Ed): I put Bill O’Reilly in the same category as Alan Colmes, when he accused us of being a Birther site, even though we kept criticizing the people pushing it. Bottom line for me: if the O’Reilly Factor can’t figure out the difference between a blog post and a comment, they have no business opining about the Internet at all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

It looked like Oreilly was perturbed that no one on the right blogosphere was defending her racist statement. Heck, Dennnis Miller’s liberal sidekick Sal wouldn’t even defend it.

aikidoka on May 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM

O’Reilly on FOX is the reason why Nancy Grace on CNN gets my 8:00pm rating.

Bicyea on May 28, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Honest to God, I failed to see the controversy over what was obviously intended to be a critical, partisan comment. My God, the things that were (and still are) said about Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Roberts — by Democrats and by the media, no less — make dogsoldier’s comment look almost genteel.

I also fail to see the controversy in referring to Obama as “Hussein” when W (middle name) was called every name in the book for eight years. It is the guy’s name — isn’t it awfully thin-skinned to see it as a perjorative?

BigD on May 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Ed,I don’t know if this was mentioned in an earlier post
(got macular can’t read them all).
I think maybe you might have a bruised ego to contend with. You interviewed with Rush!! How dare you not place BOR first.

oldernwiser on May 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM

O’Reilly Is an “Inside Edition” sensationalist and will pander to anybody or any group that can help sustain his ratings. His contrived sense of fairness and moderation elicits nausea.

rplat on May 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Obama: Better Judgment on Foreign Policy
By Jack Tapper

And N.Korea bombs on, Iran debunks Obama, Russia smirks, and Europe calls him Pantywaist. The Middle East holds its breath while Obama effectively waterboards Israeli diplomacy.

Obama’s only “friends” are Socialist Dictators in South America.

Better foreign judgment Obama claims for himself, and better judicial judgment Obama claims for Sotomayor.

Poor OReilly, ain’t got what it takes to be either a man or a woman. He hasn’t been sleeping so well, Boogeyman nightmares of FOX being electrocuted and falling under a bus en route to a universal healthcare clinic. He’s begging for mercy from the Potus of Antipathy Obama while putting out feelers for employment with a “safe” socialist network.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM

High brow? You mean the geniuses that voted for Obama because the superficial media told them to?

Basilsbest on May 28, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Don’t deflect. Yes, there are other idiots in the world, but that fact alone does not excuse stupidity in you. What I actually meant by high-brow was “people who do not believe Obama is a Marxist Muslim Indonesian antichrist.”

hicsuget on May 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM

I don’t watch O’Reilly. It now seems he’s too wrapped up in himself & his show to actually live in the real world. That tends to happen when you get too big.

rbj on May 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I still watch when I remember, but his head is getting pretty big, and have to agree with the observation that he’s really wrapped up in himself. I think he’s starting to see his own judgment as infallible.

What has bugged me a bit is that, in the last week or so he has ripped off Becks work on exposing ACORN. He had Beck on and commented that “He’s working on it too”. I noticed the vaguest expression of irritation in Beck..for a micro second and then it was over…because I don’t think Beck cares about who gets the credit for the story, he just thinks it important that it be exposed. But thats Beck.

Itchee Dryback on May 28, 2009 at 8:18 AM

hicsuget on May 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM

LOL. The Precedent is far too stupid to be the anti-christ.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2009 at 7:55 AM

On its way. Just having this discussion should tell us that we are being rounded up into a more managable form of peons.

MikeA on May 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM

how come my trackback doesn’t work? It’s weird

blatantblue on May 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM

BigD on May 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Obama has yet to come out of the closet on being a moderate Muslim who embraces every political opportunity to get ahead, including the fascist ploy abusing the name of “Christianity” along with his irreverently wrong Rev.Wright.

Hussein remains steadfast Obama’s middle moderate name, his “international” calling card, the so-called “better international judgment” he claimed his own in campaign, and the name as he states it aloud as POTUS.

So much for “spreading the wealth” of fair trade and public use, another from Obama’s thoroughly hypocritical mind.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM

hicsuget on May 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Wait a minute.. you think that Obama is not a Marxist Muslim Indonesian antichrist?? What next?..”He’s not a Chavez loving Socialist…a Castro Hugging Commie”? Yah..O.K.

Itchee Dryback on May 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM

how come my trackback doesn’t work? It’s weird

blatantblue on May 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Its Bush.

Itchee Dryback on May 28, 2009 at 8:26 AM

hicsuget on May 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Highbrow as intelligentsia, caste elitists ready to profit from the Socialist power grab, the AS IF neo-aristocrats of Fascism.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 8:28 AM

itchee dryback

Ugh!! How come I didn’t think of that?!?

blatantblue on May 28, 2009 at 8:29 AM

“… but O’Reilly is not a principled Constitutional Conservative. He has lost his moorings. His “traditionalist” values are unpredictable, inconsistent, incoherent and incomprehensible.

I haven’t watched O’Reilly since he maligned the Swift Boater’s during the Kerry campaign.

He is a self-serving self-promoting sell out. ….”

[DeathB4Tyranny on May 28, 2009 at 4:03 AM]

Most of that is right. But he hasn’t lost his moorings; he’s got them tied tightly to his interests, the latter of which floats with the tide of making money.

I get a kick out of O’Reilly dubbing his segment, “Policing the Web” as if his efforts are helping to clean it up or he has a unique charge to enforce a standard, and does so by reaching in to the digital public square to take an otherwise obscure and mundane comment to hold up for criticism in front of the television public square, where, as often as not, it is, largely, the same.

Dusty on May 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Highbrows are fascists who simply deny the truth; that’s their story and they’re sticking to it along with all their pirated booty.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Itchee Dryback on May 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM

If you are willing to accept that he is not all that, then you might also accept that he is not really the bastard son of an African exchange student who managed to knock up a somewhat goofy, hippie-dippy white college girl, and then run out of town leaving the girls grandparents to pick up the pieces and shoulder the responsibilities for the grins and tingles of that particular tryst. Not that that makes him any more or less qualified for anything, but it is the real story of who he is, and that is not going to be told.

MikeA on May 28, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Dusty on May 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Sounds like Nazi SS Gestapo. At any rate, it certainly goes hand in hand with the Socialist mind control efforts that go so far as to prosecute a thought as a hate crime with incarceration awaiting the independent thinker.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Is O’Reilly upset that a commenter used the name Hussein when referring to Obama?

For Pete’s sake, Hussein is part of the mans full name.

Keemo on May 28, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I would not lose any sleep over this allah/Ed nor would I be to upset at Amanda.
Bill doesn’t giver enough time to answer any questions before he moves on to the next. She did not have time to think.
Does Bill o even know that hotair is MM site. I doubt it.
The people who like HA will still like it no matter what Bill O says

kangjie on May 28, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Bill is just bitter that Michelle won’t go on his show anymore… so he’s stuck with “the Mustache” instead. Michelle is sixty times as smart, and a thousand times better looking than Geraldo.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

For Pete’s sake, Hussein is part of the mans full name.

Keemo on May 28, 2009 at 8:38 AM

O’Reilly didn’t make a big deal about the ‘Hussein’. Ed and Allah are all torn up about that. O’Reilly’s beef was the comments imploring us to block The Precedent’s picks. O’Reilly rattled on about not being able to ‘block his picks’, clearly not understanding what was meant.

O’Reiily didn’t say anything bad about HotAir.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

[hicsuget on May 28, 2009 at 8:17 AM]

Pardon me for butting in, but I’m pretty sure that’s the uni-brow belief. High-brows are mixed on that and have been found to sputter it in hushed tones when the redistribution scheme du jour doesn’t seem “fair” enough to them.

Dusty on May 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

This is intellectual laziness on O’Reilly’s part.

Murf76 on May 28, 2009 at 8:43 AM

what’s the number to that web site again???

poppieseeds on May 28, 2009 at 8:45 AM

MikeA on May 28, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Its possible we’re on the same page.

I think “Hooey” is a Chavez loving Socialist and a Castro Hugging Commie, and the monkey wrench that will destroy this country with the encouragement of too many passive Americans who just think they will be getting a lot of free stuff. Really sad imo.

Itchee Dryback on May 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I listen to him for a few minutes now and then. But it’s ironic because what comes to mind when I watch him is that he’s full of hot air. And himself. And if he doesn’t know the difference between a post and a comment he is also an idiot.

scalleywag on May 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM

This was simply a lame attempt by OR of trying to prove that he’s “fair and balanced”. It’s clear to me that OR’s real target is the left, but it is frustrating how he always feels the need to throw in the fact that “both sides are guilty” of whatever offense is under discussion on his show. I think for the most part OR really is a conservative but for some reason he feels the need to pass himself off as a centrist to the public. He’s afraid of being marginalized by the rest of the MSM to the same degree someone like Rush is.

frank63 on May 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM

If the O’Reilly Factor can’t figure out the difference between a blog post and a comment, they have no business opining about the Internet at all.

Remember – he hates the internet. He can’t handle it when he gets called out for his behavior by blogger – Left & Right – he just cannot handle the truth – about himself.

Because of his ratings and position at Fox he not only sees himself above criticism, he hates bloggers and feels they are infringing on his territory. Remember he is the one with the 2 degrees, he sees himself as qualified to analyze Obama’s pick. Bloggers and commenters are not.

I am surprised Amanda didn’t challenge him, Mary Katherine would have and has.

AprilOrit on May 28, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I could never make it through an entire show of BOR. It’s too tiresome and agitating. Note to BOR…this is a comment, not a post.

scalleywag on May 28, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Jackass. The guy is not just lazy, he’s an idiot.

There was a show about 10 years ago in which he said John 14:6 implied that there are many ways to heaven. For reference:

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

After that I gave up all hope of him being sentient.

John_Locke on May 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM

I thought when I saw the HotAir comment on O’Reilly it was an out-of-context type of display. AP touched on it that but my take is this site’s comments section is to blow off steam at Democrats and Obama’s latest move not a formal debating society. If O’Reilly really understood the internet he would know that calling Obama by some nickname or Hussien is more or less part of the sarcasm of the web.

Pretty innocent post if you ask me but I was looking at it from the perspective of someone who has read 100′s of posts and gets the jist of it.

Conan on May 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM

I saw no smear…quit wining….

NRA Lifer on May 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM

The question is….did the number of hits to HotAir zoom up after his little clip??

bridgetown on May 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Wow. Describing O’Reilly as Alan Colmes is funny and mean.

Next time send Amanda with a loofah and antedotes about living on Long Island (even though Amanda is not from there). I guarantee she will get a better reception from the big old Mick O’Reilly.

It is for the good of the cause. It is not prostitution Amanda. Think of it as giving a loofah to a grandfather suffering from senility.

And oh yeah, Bill, this is a “blog post.”

Mr. Joe on May 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM

frank63 on May 28, 2009 at 8:49 AM

BOR went on to make the point in the show that Republicans need to be more “inclusive” and right-wing bloggers and talk radio are somehow interfering in that goal.

Everyone of these people who make this “inclusive” statments stops short of explanining their “inclusive” startgey because they know it consists of straight out pandering. It makes me physically ill when I hear someone like Powell or BOR talk about these things with no specifics they know are core liberal positions like amnesty.

BTW Rush makes an excellent point that regardless of past Hispanic pandering for example we have no better reputation because of counter propaganda than if we didn’t sell-out in the first place.

Conan on May 28, 2009 at 8:59 AM

how many times do people have to tell O’Reilly to stay away from the sauce before going on air ?! Sheesh..

runner on May 28, 2009 at 9:00 AM

That was just a horrible segment for O’Reilly.

He could have just said, “People are commenting on blogs on the internet”

and moved on to another story. how dumb.

bridgetown on May 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM

O’Reilly’s show is all about how wonderful he is. Matthews’ show is about how wonderful Obama is. Olbermann’s show is about how horrible everybody is. Larry King doesn’t know what day it is. And Hannity’s show is like watching Groundhog Day every night.

No wonder people scour the net for news.

sherry on May 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM

My family will no longer watch “The O’Reilly Factor”. His treatment of Michelle Malkin and his rudeness and blatant unkindness to Ann Coulter proved that he is an arrogant and very insecure bully. He appears to be very intimidated by truly intellectual people, especially women.

O’Reilly is only concerned with his ratings. He does not appear to stand for anything. He puts his moist finger to the wind each day.

Why does this guy have guests when he really only wants to hear his own voice?

sinsing on May 28, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Bill O’Reilly doesn’t hang on the internet-big deal. He said Post instead of Comment-big deal…If anyone on here believes there aren’t senseless comments made by ideologues on the right here at HotAir, you’ve got to be an idealogue as well. I see extremes on the right and the left, it’s what’s tearing this nation apart allowing Socialism to take apart my country…I’d rather watch O’Reilly than that lunatic on MSNBC. At least O’Reilly is normal……

adamsmith on May 28, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I just don’t get why O’Reilly’s ratings are so high.

AprilOrit on May 28, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I’ll give Bill O’Reilly the benefit of the doubt and predict he will man up and issue a retraction/apology tonight. How can he not? Bill hiding behind his desk runs counter to the very journalistic ethics he claims to possess.

This situation is exactly the same as the Sarah Palin interview conducted by Byron York of NRO where York was quoted out of context by CNN’s Drew Griffin.

O’Reilly pressed for days for an apology from CNN and stated “CNN owes it to its audience and owes it to Governor Palin to correct the record” otherwise your saying to yourself “there’s something seriously wrong in the United States of America.”

That’s my take. What say you, Bill?

pain train on May 28, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Jackass. The guy is not just lazy, he’s an idiot.

After that I gave up all hope of him being sentient.

John_Locke on May 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM

John 16:3

Right_of_Attila on May 28, 2009 at 9:17 AM

O’Reilly: when he’s good he’s pretty good (I always laugh at his jihad against NBC, Immelt, and their spawn), but when he’s bad he’s puerile.

horatio on May 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Big Bill is always long on hyperbole and short on facts. There was a time when the vast majority of people here would lap that up. Now that his specific brand of idiocy has come here, he is disowned.

Should have thought of that before you bought “The O’Reilly Factor For Kids” with the matching shirt. The man has always been a hack.

Krydor on May 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM

neither Ed nor I have ever referred to Obama as “Hussein.”

And I think I speak for us all when I ask, Why not?

Akzed on May 28, 2009 at 9:27 AM

He’s against people driving SUV’s, and for gay adoption. Therefore, he’s a banal populist and a moral imbecile.

Hussein Hussein Hussein!

Luffa luffa luffa!

Akzed on May 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Fox should replace Old’Reilly with Jon and Kate Plus 8

Wade on May 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Traditionalism is certainly unpalatable and antithetical to the left’s current platform.
blatantblue on May 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM

On the cover of his latest book is shown him as a child reading the Baltimore Cateshism, as I recall. Bill Bennett was interviewing him on his radio show a few weeks ago and mentioned the first question in the Baltimore Catechism, and he gave the wrong answer, not even close.

Hussein Hussein Hussein!

Luffa luffa luffa!

Akzed on May 28, 2009 at 9:36 AM

BOR believes he’s right on everything. What I find irritating is when he has Neil Cavuto on to discuss the economy or the price of oil. Of course, Neil has forgotten more about economics than BOR will ever know, but BOR will still presume to lecture Neil that it’s “the speculators” driving oil prices more than supply and demand. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen Neil on BOR for a while..Neil’s choice, or BORs?

brushman on May 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Bill is not doing his job as a journalist where Obama is concerned. His attempt to appear “fair and balanced” looks like brown nosing moderates for ratings.
Douche Nozzle.

rollthedice on May 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Michelle is… a thousand times better looking than Geraldo. E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Um, I think you mean a thousand and one.

Akzed on May 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Billo is no conservative.

He smeared HotAir in an attempt to make himself seem moderate. That’s his MO.

It’s all about Billo.

faraway on May 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM

dogsoldier is famous! ;-)

Abby Adams on May 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM

sherry

Awesome comment

You’re a funny girl

:D

blatantblue on May 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Eh… Is this really a surprise? This is the guy who uses terms like “The Far Right,” and shows “blurred out” images of teenagers sexting (while at the same time calling the moral police)…

We should take Bill O’Reilly for what he is. A traditionalist that is probably right of center, but probably not comfortable identifying with the more classical liberal thought.

Upstater85 on May 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM

For some reason O’Reilly seems to revel in his ignorance about the Internet. It’s one thing to not be current on every technology but it’s stupidity to not understand that comments on a blog come from a wide spectrum of people.

Bill criticizes the GOP for not trying harder to attract the younger voters but seems unaware that he is a dunce about all the communication means the younger crowd uses.

IMO be dislikes that the Left considers him are neo-con even if the Right doesn’t. No fake opportunity to try and convince people that he’s fair and impartial goes unused. But most on bothe sides know that it is All About Him.

Maybe that’s why he likes the Obamameister – they share that attitude.

katiejane on May 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I laughed when I heard that last night…my wife looked at me and smiled and asked “was that you?” I said no but I’ve put much worse on…including directed at AP…lol! O’Reilly really comes across as a moron with his not understanding this interweb thingie.

DCJeff on May 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM

The problem is that “blog posting” is at best an ambiguous term. I have seen comments referred to by other comments as “good post”. This is legitimated by the fact that Allah, Ed, Michelle, and the Green Room Gang post “articles” or “stories”, to which we post comments.

The word has become unusable due to that ambiguity.

The Monster on May 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

(My comment at Patterico)

The example post is mild. But one wonders why O’Reilly seems obsessed with reporting on pageant queens, female teachers who have sex with their male students, spring break for co-eds, young girls sending nude cell phone pictures, etc., etc., etc.,…Oh, lemme think, could it be the same reason every woman on his show has a plunging neckline?

There is more substance and cogent thought in one line from Patterico then in one year of O’Reilly’s incoherent meanderings. But Patterico, Hot Air, Gateway, et al, don’t run B-roll of half naked girls.

Not that I wouldn’t mind a little ankle now and then.

mr1216 on May 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM

O’Reilly is too busy kissing Obama’s ass to actually read anything about what he is talking about.

He is obviously trembling in his boots about the impending takeover of the media by the Chicago thugs, and is making 100% sure that he praises Obama 5 times a day.

What a slug.

notagool on May 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Last year I wrote him about the difference between blog posters and commenters and compared it to editorials and letters to the editor. He put my e-mail on the air and ridiculed me saying that editors control the comments printed. They also changed my e-mail slightly but didn’t really change my message. So after last night I sent him this e-mail:

Mr. O’Reilly;

Concerning the Supreme Court nominee, you continue to confuse blog posts by the website with those of commenters. Yes, the website has control over comments just as you do, but I don’t confuse your opinions with those of the comments from cool aid drinker e-mailers selected for your program.

amr on May 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

O’Reilly does some good work, and does expose quite a few scandals on the left, but he does seem to be wrapped up in himself too much–sometimes devoting 5 or 10 minutes of his show to other commentators criticizing him, and how those other people are so wrong, and when it comes right down to it, people don’t really care whether O’Reilly is right or wrong, they watch his show to try to get information they won’t get elsewhere.

O’Reilly can also get off on tangents on subjects he knows nothing about, such as last summer when he accused “Big Oil” of collusion to raise fuel prices, and wondering why gasoline prices only dropped 50% when crude prices dropped 70%. If O’Reilly had done a little math, he would have figured in the FIXED costs of transporting and refining crude and gasoline, and found that the oil companies’ profit per barrel remained the same throughout the rise and fall of crude prices. The truth is, American private oil companies only control about 15% of the world’s known oil reserves, and most of the rest is controlled by foreign NATIONALIXED oil companies, where the price is controlled by GOVERNMENTS, so that oil refining companies are at the mercy of a market manipulated by foreign governments, unless we start to use more of our own oil. But O’Reilly was on a “crusade” against a straw-man “Big Oil”, and he shouted down anyone who disagreed, including Fox’s own Neil Cavuto, who is more knowledgeable on economic matters.

Maybe I digressed off-topic here, but the point is that O’Reilly likes to hear himself talk more than he wants the “folks” to be truly informed by knowledgeable guests who don’t get interviewed on MSM shows, and he sometimes creates tempests in a teapot over minor kerfuffles, such as one person’s comment on this blog.

In contrast with O’Reilly, there has been a pleasant surprise over the past few months on Fox News–Greta Van Susteren! In past years, her show tended to focus on lawyers arguing over nitpicky little details of crime investigations, but over the past several months, she has focused more on politics, starting with sympathetic treatment of Sarah Palin, but moving on to open criticism of the Obama administration, most notably its economic and foreign policy, which she has sometimes labeled as “tone-deaf” and “stupid”. She has become a tough questioner on both sides, but unlike O’Reilly, she is willing to give her guests time to speak, and draw interesting information from them, and recently her show is actually more interesting than O’Reilly’s show.

Steve Z on May 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

No wonder people scour the net for news.

sherry on May 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Fox needs to shuffle the deck. Wonder if Beck would get stale if he had B’O's slot.
Bold Fresh Stale O’R

Posey on May 28, 2009 at 10:20 AM

No wonder people scour the net for news.

sherry on May 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Yep. Good assessment!

I prefer Cavuto, Special Report and Beck, although Glenn is wearing a little thin.

Ordinary1 on May 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

BOR actually is the loudmouthed boor that the media pretends Coulter and Rush are, and I wish he would just go away.

The only time I saw him do something good was when he asked David Letterman if he had ever watched his show, after Letterman said he thought BOR’s ideas were BS. I wrote to Lettermans show and said that it took special talent to make BOR look good by comparison, but Letterman clearly had it.

drunyan8315 on May 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Most commenter’s on here are making too much of this. Anyone who watches Bill regularly knows that he is always slamming the KOS and Huffpo on their comments. He is just trying to appear “fair and balanced” by throwing in some right-wing stuff.

As to the comments he used, I agree with Bill O on some of them. I personally think that anyone here who comments on Sotomayors looks is an infantile fill_in_the_blank. I saw plenty of them in the last few days. And the Hussein thing is childish as well.

BierManVA on May 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Try to refrain from using the “m” word on this site;)

Laura in Maryland on May 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Fair enough, Laura, but I have a huge WTF?! for everyone here. ON a 500 comment thread with an Amanda Carpenter screencap, I can’t get an Amen for “not guilty by reason of smoldering hotness”?

This blog needs an enema.

Jaibones on May 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Esthier? Baldi? blatantblue?!

Dude…

Jaibones on May 28, 2009 at 10:31 AM

hmm. Didn’t seem all that smeary to me *shrugs*

Reaps on May 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Jaibones on May 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Amen and amen.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Greta has gotten awfully good to watch. She sure knows how to ask the kind of questions that get informative answers, unlike B’O and Hannity who try to make their questions the meaty info without allowing the guest’s answer to be completed. I’m tired of both of those guys. They don’t have the skill to make the guest the interest because they need to keep the spotlight on themselves all the time. She gets it – but they don’t.

Posey on May 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM

O’Reilly tries a little too hard to portray himself as objective. “No-spin zone” and all that. So in this case I think he was trying to show how even-handed he his, after past criticisms of comments on left blogs like Daily Kos.

Unfortunately, he did make the site authors look bad due to the idiotic comment of one anonymous person commenting on a blog post. He should apologize. He strikes me as a decent guy, if a bit bull-headed, so write to him (AP or Morissey or Malkin), politely explain, and request a correction. He might have the honesty to do it.

Gaunilon on May 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Wow 500 posts…

Maybe I should open a blog. heh. I am unemployed after tomorrow, I could use the income until the IRS comes for it…

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

He could at least have done us the favor of telling us which commentor posted that quote. On the other hand, I think the only thing objectionable is the use of P.BO’s middle name, which is pretty tame.

Count to 10 on May 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM

idiotic comment

Accurate and factually correct. I guess you haven’t researched her socialism, her militancy, racism, refusal to follow or know the constitution or her membership in LaRaza.

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM

What.s new? O,reilly has always been a wishy washy person never having a political core .He still believes Obama is not a far left Soc.He thinks he,s the smartest person in the country.This is why so called Mod.will be always be useless.

thmcbb on May 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM

jailbones?

blatantblue on May 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM

rplat on May 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM

+ a gazillion….Johnny hits the spot.

RepubChica on May 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Bottom line is that Bill O’Reilly is a PUTZ! Most of the time he has no idea what he’s talking about.

If Fox News really wants ratings and credibility, they’ll replace Bill O’Reilly with Megyn Kelly. She’s she’s tough as nails and she’s does her research on the subject at hand. She’s hard core no-spin!

kyslugbug on May 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM

If O’Reilly was half as smart as he thinks he is, he’d be twice as smart as he is.

katiejane on May 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM

It’s his king-making ratings that have gone to his cabesa….God I hate it when assholes become too successful. Insufferable.

RepubChica on May 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

sherry on May 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM

lol, that about sums it up

bridgetown on May 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Never fails…by the time I get in and see something I want to post on, there’re already hundreds of comments…oh well. It’s a testament to the site.

I will make my point anyway. I think this goes back to Michelle Malkin’s controversy with The O’Reilly Factor. I think it took them a long time..over a year…to find some little thing they could hang their hat on. I think Carpenter was between a rock and a hard place because I suppose she has to continue as an internet commentator, a position in jeopardy if she takes O’Reilly on too hard.

Though it is supposedly a “No Spin Zone” (bollocks!) the last thing O’Reilly can support is criticism. As the incident with Ms. Malkin demonstrated, he’s not “looking out for the folks”, he’s looking out for himself.

Blaise on May 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM

kyslugbug on May 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Not with the ratings the curmudgeon brings in…

RepubChica on May 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Lost a reader there Amanda. Good job showing that backbone.

guido911 on May 28, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I emailed O’Reilly and told him to apologize to Ed and AP. He owes me attribution, LOL.

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM

The funniest comment from Bill is that sometimes you can make a racist comment and still not be a racist. Say what? Sotomayor’s comment was racist, no if’s and’s or but’s about it and numerous commentators/reporters on Fox have said as much.

Unlike Bill, people living in the real world don’t have to give others the “benefit of the doubt,” especially when decisions will most likely affect us more than him.

BTW, I didn’t know Hot Air was a far right site?

Also, I’m just a tad bit disappointed in Amanda Carpenter in not at least correcting Bill that this is not a “far right site.”

moonsbreath on May 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM

My apologies up front if another commenter posted this.

I believe it was a misspeak on Bill O’s part to attribute the HotAir.com quote to one of the sites esteemed bloggers when, I assume, it should have properly been attributed to a commenter.

I would recommend that rather than lambaste him, let O’Reilly know what the facts are and I believe he will correct the record.

Isn’t the fair thing to do is give him a chance to correct the record?

Wildcatter1980 on May 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I would say she’s at least as guilty as BOR. After all, it’s her segment. She needs to be earning her paycheck by reporting accurately, not just by looking pretty.

Update (Ed): Bottom line for me: if the O’Reilly Factor can’t figure out the difference between a blog post and a comment, they have no business opining about the Internet at all.

That is correct. And again, it’is Carpenter’s job to point that out.

Although he (and his team) do a good job of most investigative reporting (the GE/Obama connection; the ACORN scandals), BOR has become sloppy lately in his reporting. Just last night he referred to Cheney’s national security speech as a “response” to Obama’s. Everyone who is actually following that story knows that Cheney scheduled his speech first, and Obama’s team scrambled to put something together and go on the air before Cheney.

UltimateBob on May 28, 2009 at 11:39 AM

When it comes to issues regarding 21st century technology and communication and current pop culture O’Reilly is really really out of touch. I love that when he discusses issues in education he still references his 2 years of teaching in the early 1970′s as if schools and kids today are remotely like the Catholic school kids he had in the early 1970′s.

With that said, there are on this board as with many other political blog sites, some horrible comments posted. Understanding free speech and understanding the need to be heard, I have read and have had said to me some pretty nasty things on this forum. I would have thought as conservatives we could have been above the type of hate posted on the Huffington Post and Daily Kos. The thing I hate even more is the conservative on conservative hate. There are some on this board who attack other conservatives for having the nerve of lets say not being as conservative as them. Or not supporting Romney or not agreeing 100% with Rush. Just read some of the comments people made about Powell or Huckabee. So O’Reilly is correct to point out some of the nasty things people say on Hotair.

arizonateacher on May 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM