Video: O’Reilly smears Hot Air

posted at 10:22 pm on May 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Ah, there’s nothing like yanking a comment out of context and using it to smear the entire site, even though neither Ed nor I have ever referred to Obama as “Hussein.” Bonus points to O’R for referring to the comment in question as a “blog posting” even though it’s anything but. And before our lefty commenters ask, yes, I have defended Kos from similar charges.

Exit question: How guilty to hold Carpenter for not objecting more vociferously in Hot Air’s defense?

Update (Ed): I put Bill O’Reilly in the same category as Alan Colmes, when he accused us of being a Birther site, even though we kept criticizing the people pushing it. Bottom line for me: if the O’Reilly Factor can’t figure out the difference between a blog post and a comment, they have no business opining about the Internet at all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Let me work through that blog post comment backwards.

I believe that it is that serious.

You are right about that. It is that serious, and more so.

The GOP and the right should be fighting every single move of The Precedent’s tooth and nail and without showing any mercy, at all.

Mercy?!?! Are you kidding me? The Dems hold all the cards. We’re the ones who need a shot of mercy from time to time.

And no, we shouldn’t be fighting every single move tooth and nail. First, it makes us look petty and childish. Second, there is only so much time, resources, and airtime. That means that if you fight him on this, he can nationalize GM, and the press will only cover the SCOTUS food fight.

When we’re in this weak a position, we pick our fights. We can win on gitmo, on Card Check, on auto nationalization. And in doing so, we should fight hard, long and dirty. By doing so, we expose Obama’s weak points. But we start fighting over stuff we are bound to lose, and it looks like a temper tantrum.

But dog was correct, and we do have to block The Precedent’s picks as much as possible. If they get through, they get through, but it shouldn’t be without a huge and bloody fight.

We couldn’t block those picks if we elected the O-Line of the Philadelphia Eagles to the Senate. They will get through. Get used to that idea for at least the next 1.5 years.

And it shouldn’t be a battle royale… it should be a measured, reasoned debate that allows us to draw distinctions between Right and Left. We turn it into a food fight, and we run the risk of being accused of the “politics of personal destruction”, and afraid of defending our principles.

I would toss a few from that list, but there’s an even longer list of the real vermin that have crawled out with Harvard diplomas. We are all suffering from a big one, right now (the Law school, of course, but that’s part of the package).

Hey, I’d toss a few from that list also, although you and I probably have different ideas on which ones to toss.

But the fact is that the same law school the produced the Obamanation also produced Antonin Scalia and John Roberts. To badmouth an entire institution that throughout our history has turned out some of the greatest thinkers in our history, both left and right, is churlish.

JohnGalt23 on May 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM

To be blunt, tonight’s BOR sucked…one of his worst ever. And it wasn’t just the HA comment (hey, I have no problem with making AP sweat a little). But he also:

(1) bought into the MSM narrative that the GOP really can’t challenge Sotomayor because she’s a LATINA, as did Dick Morris;
(2) apparently buys into the Colin Powell argument that we have to become moderates to win elections and get Hispanics, nevermind the fact that we just nominated an amnesty-loving RINO;
(3) stated we silly right-wingers don’t understand #2;
(4) called Obama the most politically savy president evah just b/c he nominated a LATINA, nevermind that she’s just replacing that dork Souter;
(5) had Alan Colmes on his show.

Even Dennis Miller was kinda lame tonight. The Bernie Goldberg segment was the only thing that prevented total meltdown, but even he conceded the media war is lost. I’m skipping the rest of the week, probably hunkered over the toilet the whole time.

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM

This one’s for Bill O.

This one’s for blatantb.

Christien on May 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM

She’s a lefty. Wonder if he knows that.

Connie on May 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Gotta tell ya Connie, at first I didn’t realize what ‘she’ you were talking about and what ‘leftie’ you were talking about.

But, yeah, you are right. Tanya Reiman is constantly hedging her analysis of lying democrats while often portraying rigthies as angry.

Bikerken on May 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM

and it was a posting on a blog. Comments are posts.

TheBlueSite on May 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Nonsense. Anyone who knows anything about the Internet understands the difference between a post and a comment, and the comment is by no means representative of the posts at Hot Air.

Kensington on May 28, 2009 at 12:54 AM

just as I rethought my affection for HOTAIR when you started in with the ridiculing of the Barack Obama Birth Circumstance issue. This is an important and as yet unresolved issue. Anyone who ridicules it is ridiculing our Constitution, in my view.
Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Well, I think it’s important to pick your battles. Maybe HA could’ve provided a little more nuance on the topic. ;-) If the One was born here (I don’t know), defusing it was a simple matter. I’ll bet the O likes to get people to waste energy in the Alinsky way, rather than to pay attention to priority matters. The RINOs won’t do anything if proof sticks them in the eye.

O’Reilly was off my list a long time ago. Streaming internet radio is more informative, and you can get other things done at the same time. There is no excuse for O’Reilly trashing the Swift Boat veterans and Mr. Middle knows d*mn well which audience made him famous on Fox. Laura Ingraham got an exasperated look on his show, and shockingly mentioned her frustration with him on her radio show. Wouldn’t trust him to feed the pets over a weekend.

Was the chickification of his show part of the deal to NOT date wayward producers anymore?

Feedie on May 28, 2009 at 12:54 AM

TheBlueSite on May 28, 2009 at 12:44 AM

In fairness, the segment is called “Policing the Web.” Considering the fact that he knows nothing about the blogosphere other than the fact that he pretty much hates it, and is afraid of it since the koskiddie stalked him at his home, you can rest assured that a mention by O’Reilly is not something any blogger is going to seek.

Connie on May 28, 2009 at 12:54 AM

I don’t think Billo knows that much about politics to begin with. He seems to be out of his depth on most real political issues and doesn’t even seem to realize what the crux of the topic is sometimes. He repeats a lot of platitudes and has guests on that are so violently slanted to the left that they make Karl Marx look like Reagan. I still tune in sometimes if he has a guest that’s somewhat lucid, which is becoming the case less and less. But for the most part, he’s dead to me.

Bikerken on May 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM

I just saw the replayed the segment, before he read the comments he introduced them as “comments.” The graphic had “blog posting.” So it could have been a mistake in the graphic. I don’t get the big outrage.

terryannonline on May 28, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Bikerken on May 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I went to her website when she was still “poor.” That’s why I know.

Connie on May 28, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Obviously, Bill O’Reilly doesn’t know much about the internet…

that is why he has Amanda Carpenter there talking about what is on the web, who is supposed to be an internet expert. I don’t see a problem with O’Reilly commenting on the internet when he has an “internet expert” feeding him information. O’Reilly is not a lawyer but he has “legal experts” appear and comment on legal cases. I don’t think this is as a big deal as some are making it.

terryannonline on May 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM

Kensington on May 28, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Yeah, but they were specifically talking about blog comments before he read these two comments.

O’Reilly doesn’t direct the show, and he’s almost definitely not the actual producer of the show in terms of putting it all together on the technical side of things (control room stuff). He surely isn’t the graphics person either. If anyone is going to take issue with the use of the term blog posting, (which a comment technically is- it’s a comment posted on a blog.) You’d have to attack the producer or director.

I just don’t understand how we get him commenting on a comment and that somehow means he smeared the site. He never even attacked the site, and he only actually said the comment was silly, not that it was hate-filled or that the site was hateful or anything.

TheBlueSite on May 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM

TheBlueSite on May 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Exactly. He calls Daily Kos a “hate site” in the video Allah has posted. If he wanted to smear HotAir he would said it was a “hate site” or something. He did NO such thing.

terryannonline on May 28, 2009 at 1:12 AM

I actually think Sotomayor may turn out more conservative than Obama thinks… so I think what’s-her-face is quoting me. But hey all you guys say smart stuff too. Really.

:>

petunia on May 28, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Oh come on that was a good insult you are just going to let it pass? =>

petunia on May 28, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Sotofinger is a member of La Raza and supports Illegal Immigration………………

……….. kinda like some old white guy and the the KKK.

Perfect for the Supreme Court of the United States of America………

………. or is it?

Oooooopppppppppssssssss!!!

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Saying “right-wing blogs” and using a HA quote to discredit opposition to the leftist nominee.

It certainly is a smear against HA.

Policing the Net [O'Reilly graphic]

O’Reilly with a badge and billy-club. Allah, there’s a great police-abuse video for you, heh.

Feedie on May 28, 2009 at 1:27 AM

I am sick and tired of all this infighting. Train your guns on the Dems people.

promachus on May 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM

wow thats f

saL on May 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Ok, let us , just for a minute, examine Sotomayer for what she is.
Sotomayer’s parents are from Puerto Rico, cool, no problem there since Puerto Rico is U.S. territory.
Sotomayer is hispanic…ah, that’s where we reach a problem on racist remarks because hispanic is not a race; check ANY sociology text and you will find that hispanic is NOT a defined race, hispanic is usually defined as an ethnicity, just like the ethnicity of my family coming from Scotland, or my girlfriend’s families being Italian and Ukrainian Jews. Sotomayer is of largely caucasian heritage, as are many Puerto Ricans, yet she attacks “White Males”, there is a reason for this…Sotomayer is an Andrea Dworkin follower.
This blog is too short to educate people on Dworkin and her followers so it must suffice to explain, the late Andrea Dworkin and her followers are radicalized lesbians who largely believe men are not human and the world would be a better place if men didn’t exist.
Sotomayer’s political views are steeped in Socialism, her heroes are Socialists such as Norman Thomas who Sotomayer quoted in her Princeton college yearbook in 1976; “I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won.”
This is the SAME Socialist, Norman Thomas, who is quoted; “The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.”
Sotomayor is a devout socialist, who hates men, believes the Constitution is obsolete and believes that she is ABOVE that Constitution. She should have never been confirmed to sit ANY bench, no less the Supreme Court.

nelsonknows on May 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM

It certainly is a smear against HA.

Is Hot Air not a “right-wing” i.e. conservative blog? I mean Allahpundit gets comments everyday saying he should fired because he’s not “right-wing” enough. I don’t see the problem with O’Reilly calling Hot Air “right-wing.”

terryannonline on May 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Hey Bill “James” O’Reilly (_|_). How’s that for Pithy.

- The Cat

P.S. I thought using a middle name as appropriate in context.

P.P.S.

James is clueless.

MirCat on May 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM

So if I make a comment offensive enough O’reilly will read it on the air? Come on kids lets get creative. I got something offensive. Ted Kennedy wearing tighty whiteys, high heels, lipstick, and doing an impersonation of Marilyn Monroe singing happy birthday to his brother.

DFCtomm on May 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM

I am sick and tired of all this infighting. Train your guns on the Dems people.
promachus on May 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM

If O’Reilly spent the time he uses to trash “right-wingers” on the facts that can found here, he’d be effective on his broadcast scale and increase ratings. Nah, back to the loofahs.

Feedie on May 28, 2009 at 1:37 AM

terryannonline on May 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Hot Air is of course right-wing. The problem is O’Reilly attributed a comment to a blog post as an actual blog post.

DFCtomm on May 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM

terryannonline on May 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Fair question. I like being called an evil right-winger, but O’Reilly uses the term “right-wing” to distance himself and imply that Hot Air is extreme, while he is Mr. Middle, the all-knowing reasonable one. It’s sneaky dishonest propaganda for people who don’t know HA.

I don’t get the “fire Allahpundit” thing at all. That’s what liberals do when they disagree politically with someone. I am troubled by his alleged Trek aversion, though. What’s that all about? He wired the agony booth for pleasure and forgot the ground?

Feedie on May 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM

“to factually report a fact.”

Hmmm.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM

O’Reilly is just a grasping man who is running out of ideas, audience and time.

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I have always been an O’Reilly fan, but there is no excuse for this. It’s so stupid anyways, what, we are not allowed to call the man by the middle name he used at his inaugeration?!?!?

What an idiotic segment. They are arguing with random blog comments that could have been left by mobys?

WisCon on May 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM

EricPWJohnson on May 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I just don’t like how he called it a

“HotAir.com blog post”

Wtf man, get your sh*t straight.

I don’t go around saying, “A Steven Spielberg Joint.”

It’s a “Spike Lee Joint.”

It’s a “Hot Air Comment”

not a “HotAir blog post”

blatantblue on May 27, 2009 at 10:56 PM

O.K., that is very, very funny. That and the earlier comment about the flower-giveaway.

I think O’Reilly was going for the listener/name-mention spike and that’s all he was doing. If not, then he’s a pinhead.

Then we have Allahpundit and Ed being a tad too Mr. Tea Cozy sensitive about this, though I do understand their angst as to professional reputation, just not to the degree that they’d actually cause an internet-attitude-storm about O’Reilly’s lazy (which is what it was) or reckless (same) remark.

Also, I see nothing, nothing at ALL, wrong or upsetting about the use of Barack Obama’s middle name, unless it’s from the perspective of only the High And Mighty May Speak It sort of thing, then it’s just offensive to not say it as often as possible: Hussein, Hussein, Hussein, Hussein, Barry Barack Obama Hussein Barry Soetoro Hussein.

I’d have preferred to hear O’Reilly indulging in some disdain for why a man in the White House has gone through quite so many names and still can’t seem to get them organized adequately to be presentable in line with his “life facts”.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 2:02 AM

“to factually report a fact.”

Hmmm.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM

ALSO very funny.

I enjoyed reading these comments. If that matters to anyone, as also enjoy reading the site, USUALLY, except when Allah gets on his “what’s the use it’s all over for the GOP” trend of thought.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 2:05 AM

P.S. For a little perspective: Thomas Sowell called The Precedent a fascist on Beck, today.

progressoverpeace on May 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Sowell has always been a truthful man….

Obama clearly is a fascist. The only reasons that he’s not called that more often are a) few people really understand what fascism is, b) most people think of fascism as a repressive government, such Mussolini or Hitler, which doesn’t seem to fit Obama very well, and c) the left has been (mis-)applying the term to conservatives for the past two generations.

But fascism is about government control of business without necessarily government ownership of the business. That is exactly the path Obama is taking us down, and fascism is the word for it.

It’s just a matter of time before the Obama administration is as repressive as past fascist governments. Government control of business necessarily requires that free enterprise be limited. Otherwise, it the government will lose control. When people don’t want to buy from a government-controlled industry, then the government will exert control directly on the people to prop up the business, and therefore, the government.

We’ll probably see it first in the auto industry. The government is on track to complete control of Chrysler and GM. If people start buying Ford, Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, then you can expect the government to take steps to body-check the foreign auto companies, and to use the unions to force Ford to fall in line.

If that fails to do the trick, the government will come after individuals. If we’re lucky, they’ll stick to tax breaks, tax credits, and subsidies. If we’re not lucky, they’ll find a backdoor approach to push people into buying a new car every so often.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on May 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on May 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM

I wish I could disagree. I really do.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM

progressoverpeace on May 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I like Sowell. He is almost as smart as Mark Twain. I just got one of Sowell’s books, “Vision of the Anointed”.

The audacity of hope was for his campaign
Fear and demonetization are for his reign
His candidacy was rather like that of a Henry Houdini
His presidency is shaping up to be much more like that of a Benito Mussolini

Although he’s trying to slip it all in under another guise
To all his fascist action most foul we must still be wise
In spite of all the Houdini lies
Dancing in Obama’s Mussolini eyes

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM

“He is almost as smart as Mark Twain”

Actually, he’s a lot smarter. Just not nearly as arrogant. (Well, that’s my opinion. But then, I’m not as smart as either of them, nor as arrogant.)

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM

It was a good segment. Sowell should go on TV more, especially for economic issues. Beck made him say ‘fascism’ twice (even though Beck had done a very good program about the same thing, not long ago) and Sowell explained the economic part in a manner simple enough for anyone to understand. I’d like to hear more people taking a serious look at what’s going on and calling it what it is.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 2:27 AM

Sowell has always been a truthful man….

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on May 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM

I watch his eyes
As he tells his learned stories
I can feel the truth rise
Within his intellectual glory
He has always told the truth, lord, he is a truthful man
But not all will ever understand

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 2:27 AM

WTF O’Reilly?? Did you not do any research at all?

Again, WTF?

nickj116 on May 28, 2009 at 2:31 AM

“He is almost as smart as Mark Twain”

Actually, he’s a lot smarter.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Well now, maybe so and maybe not, but Twain had a flare with words and the ability to turn a phrase that not even a Sowell can begin to match. Twain is immortal, even if he has gone to Hell now.

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Jeez…because there are more democrat congressmen and sentators O’Reilly thinks everyone not liberal should just lay down in front of this train wreck in progress, eh?

Brilliant, Bill. Why have 2 parties at all then?

Let’s all sign up at Herr Untbambos party immediately! All those who don’t, the gas chamber is that way —–>

What a dope.

Spiritk9 on May 28, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Bill O’Reilly is an intellectually disingenous RINO douche. I have more respect for Chris Matthews who at least admits that he wants to blow Obama. And for the record, Obama is not some genius politician. Everything he does is straight out of “Rules for Radicals”. Conservatives, let all of us true believers cancel our season passes to the factor and replace it with Beck please as most of us did 5 months ago…

Kataklysmic on May 28, 2009 at 2:48 AM

“cancel our season passes to the factor and replace it with Beck please ”

or just cancel our cable subscriptions entirely.

It’s good to think for ourselves. And after the first few months, it’s not even very scary.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Bill O is a big frakking queen looking for a drama!

Chook on May 28, 2009 at 3:26 AM

Sadly, O’Reilly is comfortable with providing half truths, and comments outside of context, as long as it gives the impression that he is “objective.” Let’s not forget that he once argued that a child who was kidnapped and brutally raped, enjoyed the experience because it afforded him the opportunity to get out of school. He’s the modern day version of Phil Donahue and is deserving of the same contempt afforded Olbermann.

Stickeehands on May 28, 2009 at 3:29 AM

“Let’s not forget that he once argued that a child who was kidnapped and brutally raped, enjoyed the experience because it afforded him the opportunity to get out of school.”

I just watched that video — never seen it before, don’t know much about O’Reilly, don’t even own a TV, but that’s not even close to what he said in your clip. The notion of rape wasn’t mentioned; if it happened in this case, there’s no indication that either O’Reilly or Van Susteren knew about it, and, well, then, the rest of your statement falls apart as malicious hyperbole. So, I guess “we” can, in fact, forget your claim.

Please, if you’re going to argue a point, avoid totally stupid histrionics that are not even supported by your own links.

You come across as more hysterical and unhinged than you accuse O’Reilly of being.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 3:43 AM

I agree with O’Reilly more often than I do with John McCain or Lindsey Graham, but O’Reilly is not a principled Constitutional Conservative. He has lost his moorings. His “traditionalist” values are unpredictable, inconsistent, incoherent and incomprehensible.

I haven’t watched O’Reilly since he maligned the Swift Boater’s during the Kerry campaign.

He is a self-serving self-promoting sell out. In his attempt to play “moderate” or “traditionalist” he ultimately ends up offending both sides. He is not making converts he is alienating everyone.

IMHO, the Republican Party, in its’ attempt to pitch the “big tent”, is just a larger version of O’Reilly. Inconsistent, incoherent, unpredictable, and incomprehensible. Add it all up and you get a total lack of leadership from a bunch of self-serving dupes.

DeathB4Tyranny on May 28, 2009 at 4:03 AM

What’s wrong with saying “Hussein”? Seriously….it’s his Fing name.

You know how easy it is to change your name? He only has it because he wants it. There is nothing shameful about that.

BlameAmericaLast on May 28, 2009 at 4:11 AM

O’Reilly is a populist @$$hole. He, like John and Megan and ColOn…. (and the terryes and terrys) attack ANYONE with ANY strongly held principles, right or left.

They all fear and anyone who actually believes in something that their friends and neighbors do not.

LegendHasIt on May 28, 2009 at 4:35 AM

Forget conservative, liberal, the internet, whatever…O’Reilly cares about one thing and one thing only – Bill O’Reilly. All other considerations are trivial.

Django on May 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM

DeathB4Tyranny on May 28, 2009 at 4:03 AM

Excellent summary.

Django on May 28, 2009 at 4:41 AM

As much as it pains me to say… Very Guilty.

This sort of charge is the cheapest of the Cheap Shots, and one that every body has seen before, a dozen times at least. The defense that this is a single poster in a loosely moderated forum should be obvious and automatic. If Amanda Carpenter did not even bother to offer the standard defense, she’s just as bad as O’Reilly on this.

gridlock2 on May 28, 2009 at 5:12 AM

Let us be honest. The comments do get out of hand here on HotAir.

terryannonline on May 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM

What a dishonest statement. That you may disagree with some comments is neither here nor there. Get over yourself.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 5:24 AM

Someday the Right is going to grow up and stop worrying what the MSM says about them. As this case clearly proves again, they are going to say whatever they want to anyway, regardless of the truth.

TheBigOldDog on May 28, 2009 at 5:37 AM

Odds are that Bill O’R…, or an elf employed by same, tried posting here as a troll and got smacked down or spanked faster than you can say “Bill’s ego can stretch from here all the way to Levittown, New York.”

What say you, Bill? (Without hawking a book or show promotion, preferably.)

viking01 on May 28, 2009 at 6:10 AM

This is a time of great stress for O’Reilly. He can see what Obama is doing to the economy but, he’s deathly afraid of attacking Obama so he tries to convince himself that he’s relevant by bothering with trifles.

O’Reilly gave Obama a B on the economy when he graded him about 2 weeks ago. It tells you all you need to know about O’Reilly. He’s been completely cowed or he’s abysmally ignorant. In either case, he’s no longer relevant.

Basilsbest on May 28, 2009 at 6:14 AM

Basilsbest on May 28, 2009 at 6:14 AM

What’s odd is that O’Reilly was the first major media figure to call the idiot messiah a socialist, during his interview, before Joe The Plumber and the “spread the wealth” comment. But, everyone ignored O’Reilly’s interview, for some reason. After that, O’Reilly caved, for no discernible reason. He hasn’t gotten any access or anything.

Now, he bends over backwards, at times, to give The Precedent the benefit of the doubt when it’s perfectly clear that The Precedent is a bald-faced liar. But, he still has guests on who call The Precedent what he is, like Dick Morris who only very slightly pulls his punches.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 6:23 AM

So, does this mean that commenters on HA cannot refer to O’Banana by his middle name? Or the Latina SCOTESS nominee by her chosen Political ideology? Or are those forms of PC censorship limited to the O’Reily and McCain domains?

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 28, 2009 at 6:26 AM

This was a swipe at MM, Allah & Ed…pure and simple…next.

jerrytbg on May 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM

One can only hope, On Watch.

BlameAmericaLast on May 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM

He did the same thing to the Freepers last year…in that case he took posts completely out of context and the rep from Free Republic he had on there had no idea at the time what the thread O’Reilly was referring to was even about.

I’ve noticed that every so often he strains the fair and balanced thing even when it’s quite difficult to defend Leftists so that he can say, “Hey, I’m fair and balanced.”

I like O’Reilly and his show…I don’t intend on agreeing with everything the man says. He is an important conservative voice (one of the few).

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 28, 2009 at 6:38 AM

BORe handled the gerardo thingy very poorly…
AND…I’ll bet… MM has been snubing him since. What say you MM?
I know you can’t…but human nature is what it is…

jerrytbg on May 28, 2009 at 6:42 AM

O’Reilly’s biggest fault is glaring. He’s primarily in it for himself. He shares that trait with other pundits, but he is more obvious. It’s important that the “culture wars” continue, because he’s a commenter on them. Resolution is not what he’s after. He’s not a general yearning to go home when the war is over.

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM

I’m not too concerned about what Bill O. says. He is a populist most times and that aggravates me. Especially when he knows better.

As far as the Hussein thing, is it now hateful to use the president’s actual middle name?? I’ve seen him called much worse than that on this site. Hell, I’ve called him worse than that on this site.

Exit question: If I call Bill an ignorant populist mick ba$tard does that qualify as a hateful “blog post”?

conservnut on May 28, 2009 at 6:51 AM

And btw…I agree with everyone who knows that the comment in question pales in comparison to what goes on elsewhere…

jerrytbg on May 28, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Jeepers, was it one of my posts he snagged? I almost always refer to Hussein as Hussein.

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 6:53 AM

U bad…Dog…sit… ;)

jerrytbg on May 28, 2009 at 6:55 AM

As for the exit question:

Ms Carpenter was indeed ambushed on the HA comment, but she was able to fairly represent the majority opinion, viz the Latina’s baggage! One must always wonder though, if O’Really is making lewd suggestions to these gals under his breath, or proffering TV time for Motel time?

P.S. “BlameAmericaLast”–Amen!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 28, 2009 at 7:01 AM

This is why some people do not have comments on their blogs. It is hard to control all the stuff that people say. And to be honest, I have heard worse.

Terrye on May 28, 2009 at 7:04 AM

conservnut:

I don’t think it was the Hussein thing was the problem, it was the maybe she will die thing. Or something. Who knows? People know when they say these things that anybody can be reading them and repeat them. It is the internet.

Terrye on May 28, 2009 at 7:08 AM

There is a strong difference between posts, done by those that run a blog, and comments done by those who do not run it. O’Reilly was going on about blogs and did not differentiate between posts and commentary material. As he does not READ blogs (they are done on MACHINES, those wicked, evil machines) that memans he trusts his humanoid staff to do this net trolling for him. And research. Which they just aren’t so hot at, being unable to find things put on their own show.

Yes, to him culture has been on a downhill slide… well… forever, seemingly. Also remember that O’Reilly finally ‘makes a decision’ after months of ‘study’ and then comes to the WRONG conclusion as he did with Iraq.

Still, it could be worse.

There could have been loofah involved.

ajacksonian on May 28, 2009 at 7:15 AM

…hard to control all the stuff that people say. And to be honest, I have heard worse.
Terrye on May 28, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Yeah me too Miss Terrye, the longshoreman on the Brooklyn docks come to my ear! There is something to be said for uncensored speech, even if a bit raw n’smutty. O’course Billy O’Reilly is from a catlick school on LONGuyLAND, so he only speaks naughty when he thinks the nuns aren’t listening…

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 28, 2009 at 7:17 AM

After reviewing the first page of this thread and watching the video I see that it is in fact my comment.

Bill, since the only part of my comment you chose to debate is about blocking her I will address that. In the Ricci case she found against a white firefighter because he was white. She was chastised by a superior judge for blatantly ignoring the Constitution as I posted on another thread yesterday.

The dems may have plenty of votes, but the GOP has the facts and her record. They can scream to the rafters about it. Perhaps even bring the white firefighter before the Judiciary committee to testify about her blatant racism.

There are a lot of ways they can block her. Its not just about the votes. Look what the liberals did when they were a minority. Despite the fact the GOP had sufficient votes to put a conservative on the bench they refused to use the nuclear option, when an up or down vote would have succeeded.

Did you miss that?

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Does anyone care what BOR thinks? Who watches this crap anyway. He is so repetitious and boring.

tarpon on May 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Time after time I have warned that the commentary on here is naive and insular to the point of being ridiculous.

Who the hell referred to the president as “Hussein”? That was OK during campaign season, but for God’s sake he’s the president now, so it obviously DIDN’T WORK, DUMMY.

And, as O’Reilly said last night, who’s going to “block” Sonia Sotomayor? It’s just crazy BS talk, and demonstrates how bankrupt of ideas conservatism has become.

Better to join the Democrats and try to minimize the damage Obama is doing from that angle rather than to waste any more time with this bunch of losers.

jay12 on May 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM

+100 BOR did totally suck last night…and Im not caring what he thinks no more. ;)

becki51758 on May 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Terrye on May 28, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Re-watch the vid. That comment came from Free Republic not Hot Air. His mild outrage about us was because the commenter called her a socialist and the fact that BO was called Hussein. He just didn’t call that particular name out specifically, but rambled about “this kind of rhetoric”.

conservnut on May 28, 2009 at 7:22 AM

I must have missed something big. What DOES the H in Barack H. Obama stand for?

MikeA on May 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Rev. Wright used to call him….Barack HUSSEIN Obama in those diatribes he calls sermons. So whats the big deal?

becki51758 on May 28, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Ed and AP, my only regret is that you got tarred for my comment.

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 7:30 AM

…the GOP has the facts and her record. They can scream to the rafters about it. Perhaps even bring the white firefighter before the Judiciary committee to testify about her blatant racism. There are a lot of ways they can block her. dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Hand Salute K-9, From your keyboard to G-Ds ‘Plan of the Day’! Failing divine intervention though, I doubt the GOP has the stomach for a fight – Yet! Maybe when Sarah Palin and the Soccer Mom’s go to Washington and run off the skunks?

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 28, 2009 at 7:31 AM

I’ll lay you odds that the day comment here becomes filtered to only permit what Barack (no middle name) Obama finds acceptable, this site will be history. Comments that are out on the edge are what makes this site interesting. Anyone could build a blog that just repeated the many glorifications of the new son-of-a-goat-herder we now are forced to bow down to.

MikeA on May 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM

We are truly living in an Alice-in-Wonderland country when someone gets shot down for actually calling someone else by their full name. Or actually argues from some supposedly morally superior position that not calling someone by their name is good or beneficial. What rubbish this country has become.

fgmorley on May 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Ed and AP, my only regret is that you got tarred for my comment.

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Dude

Don’t worry about it.

T’ain’t your fault Grill O’Smiley’s research team decided to find themselves a “BLOG POST” from HotAir and try to make it out to be hate speech.

I said it before and I’ll say it again:

BOR is trying desperately to keep his “i’m a middle of the road kinda guy” cred. So he’ll take anything to make hits on the right wing sites.

Whats it like to be famous? :D

blatantblue on May 28, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Who the hell referred to the president as “Hussein”?

jay12 on May 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM

First of all, he’s The Precedent.

Secondly, Hussein is his name. You don’t like it, complain to his family. Better yet, tell him to change it. He changed his name from Barry to Barack. From Soetoro to Obama. I’m sure he could get rid of the Hussein if he wants. Otherwise, worry about your own name.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Who the hell referred to the president as “Hussein”?…DUMMY…who’s going to “block” Sonia Sotomayor? It’s just crazy BS talk, and demonstrates how bankrupt of ideas conservatism has become. Better to join the Democrats… jay12 on May 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Go for it jaybird — you sound like you’d fit right in
with the rest of the jackasses in the Hussein stable.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 28, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Free publicity.

“Hussein” needs to quit referencing himself with his own name in full, legally change it, if he wants the world to drop it.

Otherwise, it is what it is, his middle/moderate name.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I knew the minute O’Reilly read the excerpt that it was from a commenter and not from a blog post. In fact, I remember stopping what I was doing when I heard him mention Hot Air.com. I looked at the television as he read the quoted text and said to the television, “that is from a commenter” when he insinuated that AP or Ed wrote it.

Anyone who reads HA knows AP and Ed don’t write things like that.

Kim Priestap on May 28, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Two things to note:

1) If you create a blog designed to attract listeners to right-wing talk radio, you’re going to get all sorts of idiotic comments from your readers.

2) If you watch The Factor, you’re going to hear all sorts of idiotic comments from O’Reilly.

Proposed remedies:

1) Attract a more high-brow crowd.

2) Don’t watch The Factor.

hicsuget on May 28, 2009 at 7:54 AM

He’s a leprechaun, a phony, and that’s the confusion – a poser. He’s all for himself and the rest is just showmanship and looking out for himself.

He’s on the right when it suits him, on the left when he can get away with it.

I ignore the few minutes a week that I accidently watch him these day – just background noise.

Friendly21 on May 28, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Who the hell referred to the president as “Hussein”?

jay12 on May 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM

I do, when I’m being polite. Mostly I refer to him as the racist piece of sh8t. The bill requiring us to bow down to him and kiss his too-black-to-fail ass hasn’t been signed yet.

JiangxiDad on May 28, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Not unlike today’s politicians, there’s only one thing important to O’R… ratings. His and NBC’s. nothing else matters on the face of this Earth. That’s why I just can’t stand to watch the old fool ‘opine’ about that which he knows nothing of. As for Carpenter? She likes sitting there and getting her paycheck. She would never rock the boat.

Griz on May 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I don’t watch O’Reilly. It now seems he’s too wrapped up in himself & his show to actually live in the real world. That tends to happen when you get too big.

rbj on May 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM

O’Reilly disappoints with such glib characterization of Hot Air.

I don’t go to Free Republic much (unfortunately for me), but my impression is that it’s certainly no Kos of the right.

Michelle on Fox and Friends just gave Mr. Bill a knuckle sammich. :)

petefrt on May 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Awww… Bill who? And we care what he thinks why? Never watch! Never will! Out…

sabbott on May 28, 2009 at 8:00 AM

1) Attract a more high-brow crowd.

High brow? You mean the geniuses that voted for Obama because the superficial media told them to?

Basilsbest on May 28, 2009 at 8:02 AM

…What rubbish this country has become.
fgmorley on May 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM

That brush is way too broad buddy boy! Concur, that a whole heap of “rubbish” has boiled up out of Southside-Shicago and other socialist cesspits, but the USA is still the best country on the planet!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on May 28, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Let me tell you about “high brow,” bucko.

The crowd here is one of the most “high brow” I’ve ever seen.

They are the most intensely patriotic and strongly caring people I’ve ever “met.”

They are, on the whole, incredibly intelligent.

blatantblue on May 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Sotocracker will use the same tactic that Hoo-sane used. (ooooh..I’m so offensive). Remember when he started out seeming like he may have centrist views, and some people expressed they had some hope for that being true, and they may have been wrong about him? Head fake. On the important societal restructuring decisions, he’s turning out to be more rapaciously hard left than people feared. Sotocracker will do the same….make a few soothing comments..rule in favor of law in some unimportant decisions, but when the cases that will change the value system of the country come up she’s show her true colors but be able to deflect criticism by pointing to her decisions on the innocuous rulings.

Just guessing.