Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on May 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

He was looking for someone with the ability to win over Justice Anthony Kennedy, the crucial swing vote.

“[Obama] was very struck, when he met with her, about how thoughtful she was as a judge,” says the source. “He believed she had a precise approach to cases that would be effective in winning over Kennedy when possible.”

The president considered Sotomayor’s opinions to be “rigorous, precise, not overly flamboyant.” Reports have called her more workmanlike than visionary – a precision that impressed Obama, who is looking to turn narrow decisions his way.

***
Sotomayor’s colleague and former Yale Law School professor, Judge Guido Calabresi, became aware of the anonymous sniping after she joined him on the 2nd Circuit in 1998. He eventually concluded that the complaints reflected sexism among male attorneys.

“They didn’t like the idea of a woman being as strong as her male colleagues,” Calabresi said in an interview.

He further characterized Sotomayor as a “wonderful colleague” who doesn’t mince words. He said she had “in a not insignificant number of cases changed my mind . . . both by charm, but mainly by the force of her legal argument.”

The forcefulness — or fearlessness — showed even before Sotomayor graduated from law school. While she was at Yale in the late 1970s, The Washington Post reported at the time, she filed a discrimination complaint against a Washington law firm after a partner asked her questions that she considered objectionable.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And why do moderates hate Rush Limbaugh but not Olbermann or Matthews or Maddow?

I dunno what your assumptions are. I hear Rush in my car daily on my way to meet my walking buddies. When he’s goofy, I turn him off. I never listen to Matthews. He’s a real creepy type to me. And Maddow’s intellect doesn’t interest me. I don’t mind her style. I just am not particularly interested in what she thinks.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:38 AM

I haven’t seen her use gender in the least.

That wasn’t the context of my comment.

She referenced her latina self as an example of someone who would come to a better decision in any case which featured other “latinas”.

keep the change on May 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM

You’re not funny. Go away.

Xolom on May 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Xolom is just another stick in the mud, parley-voo?
Xolom is just another stick in the mud, parley-voo?
She thinks dignity she can fake
But all she’s got to offer is a bellyache
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on May 28, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I’ll listen to this big statement tomorrow. But the first one touted, about how she’s into policy-making, I heard and completely disagreed with the interpretation. U-Tube is really good, but only if you actually exercise judgement while listening.

I’m just not going to jump on that bandwagon until I hear what she said. I’m already leaning to not buying into the “She thinks she’s better than ……….” meme.

but, I’ll keep an open mind.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM

OberfeldwebelSchultz on May 28, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Col. Klink would like a word – when you’re awake. :)

OldEnglish on May 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Well, the problem is self-evident. You’re supposed to judge impartially; what she’s effectively saying is, since I’m a Hispanic woman, I can do that, but you white folks can’t. The context was posted by Ed, I think, earlier in the week.

I don’t mean this as an accusatory question, just an honest one: were you outraged for Palin? An earlier post you had sounded a lot like Palin’s defenders (I’m among them).

emailnuevo on May 28, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Absolutely outraged. I can’t stand this new media where you pull one part of a sentence out of context and attack.

I’m disgusted by that, even if I disagree with the person on many political issues.

I think Sarah is a very sincere politician who did what she was asked to do and did it well.

There’s nothing wrong with that.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM

She has already sided against the firefighters. A fire department adminstered a test to see which firefighters were eligible for promotion. As it turned out, no black firefighters passed the test. So instead of promoting from the remaining firefighters, the department threw out the test and consequently did not promote those firefighters who passed.

The firemen sued the department and rightfully so. Guess who she sided with? Go on, guess.

keep the change on May 28, 2009 at 12:48 AM

I haven’t seen her use gender in the least.

Latina is female. Latino is male. If she had wanted to be gender neutral she could have used Hispanic.

You Gringos are running out of time to learn Spanish and some of you have not even started to yet. I don’t know what I am going to do with some of you when I take over. I hope you like being sent to New Orleans.

VinyFoxy on May 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Xolom is just another stick in the mud, parley-voo?
Xolom is just another stick in the mud, parley-voo?
She thinks dignity she can fake
But all she’s got to offer is a bellyache
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo

You really like spooking others. Creepy stuff.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM

ddrintn on May 28, 2009 at 12:35 AM

As a lifelong Republican, uh, Moderate, I would like to say that I am offended by (looks at the notes I was given at the meeting) Rush Limbaugh racist accusation of racism, and I thing that Keith Olbermann’s NAZI salutes are the height of responsible journalism.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go register at least 300 “people” for ACORN or else I don’t get paid.

18-1 on May 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Well, first. I think if there’s no case you disagree with, then you’re dealing with someone with zero experience. After all, let’s get real. He’s president, he’s a Democrat, he’s liberal, and he gets to pick. So he’s not going to pick someone who agrees with you, Republican, on every case. That’s fantasy.

Second, I think that case is actually more interesting that you’re allowing. The issue was experience versus tests.

Elitism versus real life?

It actually does provoke a bit of thought.

And it should engage conservatives.

Finally, I have read that her participation in this case was fairly minimal. It wasn’t her “deal.” They basically kicked the issue up, as a group.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:54 AM

She has already sided against the firefighters.

keep the change on May 28, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Sotomanure for the highest court, parley-voo?
Sotomanure for the highest court, parley-voo?
Colorblindness and justice she clearly does lack
Because they were white she stabbed the firefighters in the back
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on May 28, 2009 at 12:56 AM

AnninCA on May 28,2009 at 12:47 AM

Ah! Well, at the very least I am glad to have your perspective. I think you will end up on my side on Sotomayor, though. She might make good copy, and might be a great person, but she has no place on the Supreme Court. She is too much of an emotional judge, by all accounts, misinterpreting the law to help whomever she discerns is the little guy.

Here is how I illustrate the problem: Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, flat out, that Roe v. Wade was poorly argued, but she liked the decision; based on her record, Sotomayor would say that, as a woman, she felt Roe was getting the short end of the stick, so let the law wither!

(Something to consider: she legally enforced racial discrimination. It is inescapably true: in the face of their stellar performances, she decided white and Hispanic firemen were inadequate based solely on their race. That is, bluntly, a shocking and despicable decision.)

emailnuevo on May 28, 2009 at 12:56 AM

I am pretty sure that with all of the Second Amendment cases making their way to SCOTUS, Nobama wanted someone to lure Kennedy away from the other four who formed the majority in Heller. If SCOTUS does not affirm the Nordyke case from the 9th Circuit affirming this as a Fundamental Right, it will be on. The Admin will go after guns in a big way. Keep in mind, that if we lose one civil right, RKBA, we will lose them ALL.

Best response? Join the NRA today. Even if you don’t shoot or pull any kind of trigger, join. The NRA is one of our best hopes of standing up to DopeyChangy.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on May 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM

I hope you like being sent to New Orleans.

Is that where the first “re-education” camp for non-Obama worshipers will be opened?

oldleprechaun on May 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM

OberfeldwebelSchultz on May 28, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Col. Klink would like a word – when you’re awake. :)

OldEnglish on May 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM

I have a new commanding officer now. You may have heard of her. A really nasty lying woman named Queen Pelosi. Don’t say that I said she was nasty and lying though as I will just deny it.

OberfeldwebelSchultz on May 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM

So whose post did O’Reilly read. I’m always busy when he is on and I just caught that he said Hot Air. Whose post was it?

petunia on May 28, 2009 at 1:05 AM

VinyFoxy on May 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Why Viny, long time no habla……..

………. do you know what the one question that 300+ Million Americans want answered?

It gives you cold sweats at night, and it will come out……

“With respect Judge Sotofinger……

………. what is your stance on “Illegal Immigration?”

It’s coming amigo…………

………… it is coming, and you can’t hide your racist history against “gringos” and the of the United States of America.

Next time, try cleaning up Mexico first………..

…….. I hear they have a problem with headless bodies all over the place.

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 1:05 AM

I think we’ve learned that diversity is good in this arena. How far we go to achieve this? That’s the question, but isn’t it always the question? We don’t want to be so ga-ga over diversity that we overlook competence. We also don’t want to be so tunnel-vision that we overlook the value of diversity.

It’s a dance, in short.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM

You mean we don’t want to be so tunnel visioned that merit is all we see? You’re stating that gender, and race have a place in determining positions of power. Pandering is like riding a tiger it isn’t a question of if you will get eaten, but when.

DFCtomm on May 28, 2009 at 1:12 AM

You really like spooking others. Creepy stuff.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:50 AM

AnninCa is getting to be such a clueless bore, parley-voo?
AnninCa is getting to be such a clueless bore, parley-voo?
She claims that some simple rhymes are creepy stuff
Yet Sotomanure’s really scary words should get no one in a huff
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on May 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM

La Raza and Illegal Immigration…………

………. Ms. Sotofinger’s achille’s heal.

Just watch……..

…….. if the ‘Left’ is not afraid, then ask her.

Just ask her……..

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Was her name in that book that Chavez gave to The One during the recent lovefest? Ha!

IlikedAUH2O on May 28, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Elitism versus real life?

It actually does provoke a bit of thought.

And it should engage conservatives.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Are you saying they didn’t promote the firefighters because they didn’t have experience, and instead wanted to used an experienced based promotion system? If you are referring to the case I’m thinking of then you’re being purposefully deceptive.

DFCtomm on May 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM

I hope you like being sent to New Orleans.

oldleprechaun on May 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM

We may open up several simultaneously if you enemies of the state do not see the error of your ways soon. Once we empty Gitmo of all it’s occupants into a neighborhood near you we will use that one too.

DasObamaReich on May 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM

petunia —- I am an O’Reilly Premium Member but he didn’t use any of my posts or ask me to recommend any of the geniuses around here. He didn’t really knock Hot Air — he is just very literal.

IlikedAUH2O on May 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Judge Sorofinger supports ‘Illegal Immigration”……

Judge Sorofinger supports ‘Illegal Immigration”……

Judge Sorofinger supports ‘Illegal Immigration”……

Judge Sorofinger supports ‘Illegal Immigration”……

Judge Sorofinger supports ‘Illegal Immigration”……

That should go over well in a country deep in recession, with an unemployment rate to match…….

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Why Viny, long time no habla……..

It gives you cold sweats at night, and it will come out……

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 1:05 AM

That rumor that burritos imported from Mexico contain rat meat and rat droppings instead of beef is just a bunch of nativist Gringo lies. Do not believe it! Just because I would never eat them myself doesn’t mean anything. Do not worry.

VinyFoxy on May 28, 2009 at 1:29 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Diversity, in and of itself, has no intrinsic value other than to the self-centered who would us it to be self-congratulatory and to the devious who would cynically us it to filch power to themselves.

semloh on May 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Oh come on, a sheepdog could sway Anthony Kennedy. The guy’s changed positions more than Jenna Jameson. If Sotomayor swayed Scalia and co., then Houston we’d have a problem.

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM

No, the issue was that people with experience in the field didn’t fare well on written tests.

The question is about paper tests for promotion. Nobody is doing anything wrong. They were clearly trying to establish a race-free method of promotion.

I read this case as an interesting question, actually. Is it?

How do people who aren’t good at paper tests succeed?

Anyway, it’s definitely not a racial issue or indicative that anyone is “out” to get white men. That argument holds no weight, unless you’re bitter and thinking that’s why you haven’t succeeded in life. There will always be those who blame.

That doesn’t mean it’s legitimate.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM

I so disagree, but then I’m a big history buff.

Diversity is essential if we’re going to move forward the principles we agreed to intitially in this country.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM

“I read this case as an interesting question, actually. Is it?”

Should have been, but Judge Sotomayor dismissed it in a single paragraph, and suppressed the complainants’ evidence that the exam was, in fact, normative (had a bearing on their ability to perform their jobs.)

It’s not her conclusion that’s in question here, it’s her decision-making.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 1:50 AM

That’s why they chose to deny all promotions when minorities didn’t pass the test. They used race as a criteria to establish a race-free process.

How do people who aren’t good at paper tests succeed?

That is actually a good point. Are we interested in a firefighter’s ability to fight fire or pass a test? However, that is not why they were denied the promotions.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Race is too subjective to ever be used as criteria to make any decision. It opens the door to abuse and discrimination.

DFCtomm on May 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM

I so disagree, but then I’m a big history buff.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM

It makes no difference, not a positive one anyway, how much of a history buff you fancy yourself to be if your notions are prejudicial and preconceived and you learn all the wrong lessons. The claim that diversity, in and of itself, has intrinsic value is regarded by the sheep as true, by the knowing as false, and by the politicians as useful

semloh on May 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Now, it’s ‘precision’. Really? … That sort of conflicts with the fuzziness of empathy that The Precedent had wanted so much … until it became clear what a moron he sounded like. Man, this is one stupid guy.

LOL. It sounds like he’s describing a wine.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Dead wrong, diversity is a meaningless concept. It’s not an end, it’s supposedly a means to an end, which is proclaimed to be some sort of educational or societal benefit. But says who? A group composed of different races and ethnicities is somehow intrinsically better than one that is homogenous? That assumes that there is greater value in skin color or ethnicity than actual character. And the principle that has guided this country, although we have not always lived up to it, is equality based on character, not classifications. Diversity, as it is used today, is indeed the very antithesis of the meaning of the Constitution. “All men are created equal” assumes a diverse population but relegates the concept of diversity to superficial status that should never be used to influence an outcome. Unfortunately, the issue has become so contorted that few really understand this.

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM

No, I’m just a moderate blogging at a right site.

In the AM, I’m a moderate blogging at a left site. — AnninCA

\
No, you are not a moderate, AnninCA, you’re a Liberal blogging at a moderate site.

You’re selling the drone-effect: hummhummhummhummyou’resleepyhummSotomeyorIsModerateLikeBarackIsTransparenthumm…
hummhumm…

You’re stuck in such an insipid place, anyone writing frank information appears “rightwing” to you and thus, your assumption that this is “a right site” and you’re “moderate.”

If you have read Sotomayor’s statements and identified her association/s, then you or anyone else would REASONABLY and MODERATELY conclude the lady’s an evocative dingbat with a great memory of book-learnin’ and little else.

Oh, she’s also Hispanic, in case you didn’t know that. And a female.

The Demos have nominated her BECAUSE of these insipid if not irratiional characteristics and you “see no red flags” there, which is puzzling.

You’re not a moderate; you might want to stop fooling yourself, also, in that regard. At least TRY to think more profoundly about the degree of offense attempted by the Sotomayor nomination. TRY to understand that her Leftwing racialism and sexism is not, not by a lightyear, “moderate” in nature.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM

“…….nativist Gringo lies.”

VinyFoxy on May 28, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Can’t wait for Judge Solofinger to break under pressure and spout that racist crap that has been spoon fed into her since her first Mecha meeting……….

…………. and by the way, don’t worry about me,

I grow my own cilantro, onions, tomatoes, and lettuce, etc., ……..

………. I don’t have to worry about you or anyone else pissing in my beer or wiping his a$s in the fields to spread salmonella as a protest against the “nativist Gringos”.

Again, why don’t you concentrate on cleaning up beloved Mexico……….

……… or is it beyond your la raza?

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 2:16 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM

O.K., now you’ve outed yourself as a Leftwinger, not that it wasn’t earlier established by what you’ve been writing here.

“Diversity” is a aberrant concept. It’s that lie that’s necessary to get one to accept other destructive, misleading concepts. It is, indeed, the venom of the snake, that nomenclature, that concept.

People integrate well on their own which is how it should be and would be if the nation had been left to pursue it’s Constitutionally enabled course. That anyone has to somehow “engineer” the very population is outrageous: that they think they can/should/will and that others allow it to happen.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM

but then I’m a big history buff — AnninCA.

And yet you’ve acquired no wisdom in all that buffery.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM

You are exactly right. Only a dangerously naive, or guilty, person would consider “diversity” to be a pursuit of any kind. It’s just stupid. Excellence is to be pursued, not diversity.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Reading other comments, I see now that there the Demos are busy posing today/tonight as “moderates” on the internet while rationalizing Sotomayor’s fringe characteristics as also so (“moderate” not fringe, as she is, fringe).

Sneaky Democrats, always give yourselves away…

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 2:22 AM

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 2:19 AM

Agreed completely. Unfortunately, some of those dangerous people who consider diversity to be a legitimate pursuit reside on the United States Supreme Court.

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 2:23 AM

“Diversity” has become a serious disease of the culture. Likely fatal.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Oops……….

“Sonia Sotomayor ‘La Raza member’”

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 2:35 AM

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 2:30 AM

Perhaps, but I do sense that the population as a whole is growing weary of affirmative action. The barriers are down; people of all types are succeeding in the country (well, at least until Obama’s agenda kicks in). Increasingly, I think people will come to recognize it’s outlived its usefulness, even though it never really had any. Now on college campuses, that’s a different story. It truly is out of control in that environment.

Erich66 on May 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM

LOL. It sounds like he’s describing a wine.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM

Sotomanure for the highest court, parley-voo?
Sotomanure for the highest court, parley-voo?
She will guzzle a barrel of sour wine
And then on the Constitution she will dine
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo.
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on May 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Judge Solofinger, do you renounce the following statement by La Raza, a group you are a member of……..?

“………….La Raza… supports the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan – which sees “the Race” as part of an ethnic group that one day will reclaim Aztlan, the mythical birthplace of the Aztecs. In Chicano folklore, Aztlan includes California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and parts of Colorado and Texas.”

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 2:47 AM

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on May 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM

This is getting really old, really fast. It might weather better if it were at least clever or funny.

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:48 AM

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Wouldn’t it be nice to see Sen. Sessions bring up exactly this question? Hell, if Sarah Palin could be painted with the brush of the Alaskan Independence Party, which she never joined, why should this question be out of bounds for a member in good standing?

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Oh, she’s also Hispanic, in case you didn’t know that. And a female.

Lourdes on May 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Hispanic? You don’t say. And female? Wow! I think I have heard a time or two that John Kerry was in Vietnam. I’m not sure how many people know that either. I guess if we really keep our ears open we pick up on things like that.

MB4 on May 28, 2009 at 2:54 AM

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM

He will be forced to……..

…….. remember the “Amnesty Bill” backed by Democrats, Republicans, and even President Bush?

Down in flames……..

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 2:59 AM

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:48 AM

The points are clear even though you they do go past
Better you have another drink and go to bed real fast
Hinky, dinky, parley-voo

InkyBinkyBarleyBoo on May 28, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Interesting that this got as much press as the “Tea Parties”……….

………. totally swept under the carpet by the MSM.

I wonder what Judge Solofinger would think about that….?

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 4:10 AM

AnninCA ——- If “Second in her class….” is so important to you trolls, why didn’t you ask about The One’s class rank? In any of the schools he attended. While on the subject of Dear Leader, it is great to make it through Harvard Law without writing anything.

IlikedAUH2O on May 28, 2009 at 4:38 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM

No, you’re not a moderate. You are an obnoxious troll.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 5:32 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Xolom on May 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM

You two are the ones who are really creepy. Go away.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 5:34 AM

notropis on May 28, 2009 at 2:48 AM

I like his comments. Maybe, your comments would weather better if they were at least clever, funny, or not bossy.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 5:37 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Lord, you are such an obnoxious racist tool. All of the test takers had experience. Race was not a factor when the test was scored. However, race was a factor with the results in that they threw out the test because only whites and hispanics passed it. How do people who are not good at paper tests succeed? They study harder, you idiot.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 6:01 AM

God, you’re stupid. These were tests for captain and lieutenant. Only an idiot like you would think that someone with limited experience could even qualify for these tests. Jeesh.

Elitism versus real life?

The elitism of sailing through life via affirmative action and never actually being qualified for a job? Yep.

It actually does provoke a bit of thought.

Obviously not with you. You are incapable of “thought.”

And it should engage conservatives.

And it should make idiots like you stfu.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:54 AM

How the hell do you know what goes on behind chambers doors, you troll? And they issued a summary opinion. That is not kicking the issue up. You don’t know what the hell you are talking about. Copying and pasting crap from your moonbat blogs doesn’t impress anyone.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM

WSJ
interesting as another take on Sotomayor’s biases.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 6:32 AM

She a racist anti American and an idiot that gets overturned for it most of the time. She’s incompetent and stupid. Has nothing to do with her gender. Ann Coulter would be a great member of the SCOTUS.

But now look how the libs screamed to the heavens every time a conservative judge got near the bench, yet they propose this extremist?

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 6:39 AM

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Congrats, dog. Your comment has, as Von Neumann liked to say, “jiggled the planet” (or at least the right-blogosphere). I liked it.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 6:45 AM

DFCtomm on May 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM

It is about throwing out a system that has worked well at providing competent leaders, because a favored race failed to make the grade. That is racism, and that is what Sotomayor supported.

darktood on May 28, 2009 at 6:58 AM

McClatchy

That is so predictable an EXCUSE for any reason from Calabresi who’s vested interest is in promoting his Protégé, his extension of himself into the universe.

LAME attack, that Sotomayor could have absolutely no fault of her own, that everyone else is so completely male chauvinist. The ugly thing you’re ignoring; it’s Sotomayor preaching female chauvinism, Calabresi.

The TWELVE complaints against Sotomayor judicial conduct are not all from males, do not mention gender, but do state for the record her bad attitude, aka temper tantrums. How wise is it to act that way in court of all places, from the bench?

Just because Obama the malleable liar references Sotomayor’s “cool” status does not make it so. Anyone with a brain and sense would know not to take anything Obama says at face value.

Laura Ingraham also put it well, to recognize up front Sotomayor’s abilities to persuade strategic alliances, aka Justice Kennedy. Counter that talent with Sotomayor’s avowed prejudice against statutory law, Constitutional restraints, and anyone not of her own biased mind.

Socialist Judges disregard rule of law, disregard any pretense for equality, and let biases and feelings rule individual determinations that direct the masses’ flow.

Obama will say, sooner or later, “I don’t want to run the Supreme Court.” Count the days ’til he spills those beans for someone else to FIX in his Socialist wake of bail-out piracy to make certain of ruined education, banks, auto manufacturers, entrepreneurs, the medical community, state governments, and citizen’s lives. What’s left?

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 6:01 AM

When I heard that Ricci was dyslexic and had paid to have the study guide recorded by voice to study, he proved his dedication to learn and achieve, to go the extra mile to pass the exam.

And Sotomayor dismissed ALL OF HIS WORK as irrelevant ONLY because she didn’t want his specific color to get hired. She FORCED the hire of those who did NOT go the extra mile to learn the material required to pass the exam.

THAT is what she will do in the SCOTUS, reek revenge and retribution for all the reversals the SCOTUS has dealt her to date.

DIVISIVE. Obama and Sotomayor are divisive and determined to destroy the very gift that Martin Luther King, Jr. brought from the heart of America: EQUALITY before the law and in the eyes of the beholder, that every person be judged on content of CHARACTER.

Even the ability to impeach Obama will be affected by the likes of Sotomayor.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Dear goopers, stop with the “60% of her cases have been overturned by the court”. The average, if you knuckleheads knew how to read, is 75%, got that goopers? And Alito’s was 100% overturned. So take your little under informed talking point and stick it. All the gop is, is talking points, without facts. My Democratic Party continues to whip your party like a rented mule. And please, make fools of yourself, and go after Sotomayor, please, make my day pilgrims. I welcome it. Show me what you got. She’ll get 70 votes,70!

athensboy on May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I hope all those folks who stayed home in November and did not vote, because they felt there was no difference between John McCain, war hero and Barack Obama, Manchurian candidate are happy with this pick.

Yes, she will be confirmed unless there is some revolt on the left. And why would that happen? If Rush does not like her, then they will..simple as that.

Terrye on May 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM

After all, in 06 and 08 a message was sent and that message was Pelosi, Reid and Obama. Oh joy.

Terrye on May 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM

As Geraghty observes over at NRO’s “The Campaing Spot”:

Don’t federal judges specifically take an oath to avoid sympathies and prejudices?

“I, __________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as (name of position) under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.”

onlineanalyst on May 28, 2009 at 7:24 AM

She’ll get 70 votes,70!

athensboy on May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM

So what? She’s still there for no reason other than her gender and her being a Latina – which is good, because I hear they make better decisions than white guys. You should be very proud.

You people are about nothing but style, as The Precedent proves every day as he makes one retarded mistake after another. If he weren’t working to destroy this nation it would be hysterical to watch.

Have any boxed sets of DVDs for Sotomayor to celebrate her affirmative action appointment?

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM

What is your source for this claim, athensboy? Link(s) please?

onlineanalyst on May 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Show me what you got. She’ll get 70 votes,70!

athensboy on May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM

You are 10 years old, right? “Your” Democratic party is whipping the American economic system like a mule.

I’m assuming you’re in section 8 and living off food stamps, so the only new taxes you’ll notice are on Smokes and lime-flavored vodka. People who actually have jobs are going to vote ‘your’ Democratic party out of office for 25 years if ‘your’ Democratic party keeps screwing up.

Not even the MSM will be able to save you once 10 percent inflation hits. The Republicans are a worthless pack of do nothings, but ‘your’ Democratic party will be radioactive, and people will vote for anything else.

We are going to exit The One’s first term with 2 less American auto manufacturers and a lot less banks. We’ll be left with high inflation and continuing high unemployment. We’ll probably have an internet tax and possibly a national VAT. Some portion of health care will be nationalized and the deficit will be up to 1.5 trillion or possibly 2 trillion dollars. American will lose it’s AAA bond rating.

But you ‘won’. Grats….everyone else in the world suffers for it.

Asher on May 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Actually Obama is utterly amazing to watch, because in his quest to destroy America he has not made on single mistake. If you foolishly and mistakenly believe that he is only destroying America because of inexperience and naivete you could be excused for thinking that he is making nothing but one mistake after the other. Nothing he is doing is a mistake, it is all central to his plan and he has thus far executed it flawlessly.

doriangrey on May 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM

doriangrey on May 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Don’t worry, dorian. I’m well aware that revenge is his motivation. But he’s still retarded as all get-out.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Here’s my two cents:
She will be confirmed. I’m sad that the “distraction” of choosing the SCOTUS nominee worked to divert all attention from the North Korean nuclear/missle issue. I hate the MSM with a passion.

zeebeach on May 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM

doriangrey on May 28, 2009 at 8:06 AM

And he only gets away with his idiocy because the press refuses to say anything less than sterling about him. It’s not any skill on his part.

progressoverpeace on May 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I welcome it.

athensboy on May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I’m sure you would welcome, after diligently working to meet or exceed the requirements to qualify for the position you sought, getting the big middle finger by a judge, because someone that the judge wants to fill the position didn’t qualify.

Naw. You wouldn’t welcome it.

You only welcome these concepts when it happens to someone else.

Typical, as this personality flaw is a defining trait with Democrats these days, so it doesn’t surprise me in the least.

This isn’t a playoff series. This is the future… a future that MLK tried to teach us, was not justice.

Saltysam on May 28, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Prove it. Provide a link to an official court site which has the statistics. And can the crap you copy off of your fellow moonbat sites. It’s b.s.

And Alito’s was 100% overturned.

Again, prove it by linking to an official court site that has this statistic and instead of copying and pasting lies from your moonbat blogs.

It’s you and your fellow moonbats who are under informed. Because you don’t know your a$$ from your head, you have no clue how on it’s face your phony stats are wrong.

athensboy on May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Fore crissakes! Read a history book. The donks will be out of the WH in 4 to 8 years.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM

The problem with the “source” saying this is that it will get back to Kennedy, who will then be less likely to be influenced by her. Nice move, source.

Wethal on May 28, 2009 at 8:37 AM

How do people who aren’t good at paper tests succeed?

That doesn’t mean it’s legitimate.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM

The firefighter who brought suit is dyslexic. He studied for months via tapes while commuting. He had been on the force for well over ten years. He had one of the top scores that day. With his learning disability, how damn easy do you think that “paper” test was for him?

And you think he shouldn’t have been promoted?

ladyingray on May 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

If Bill O’Reilly is reads this:

“F*** You, too”

Got that?

bluelightbrigade on May 27, 2009 at 10:52 PM

That’s right. It’s Bill O’Reilly’s fault that people here say incredibly stupid things. Poor Hot Air commenters – nothing is ever your fault.

Proud Rino on May 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM

A good little liberal like you should know that “stupid” is relative…get w/ the post-modern program.

Just b/c you don’t agree doesn’t mean its dumb.

bluelightbrigade on May 28, 2009 at 8:51 AM

How do people who aren’t good at paper tests succeed?

That doesn’t mean it’s legitimate.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM

If you talk to firefighters or police officers across the country, you will find that there are written tests for promotion. It’s standard practice. There can be a lot of informational knowledge that is required for a position, as well as experience.

The black firefighters accepted the practice of written exams for promotion. They made no claim that the test was biased; the triral judge even acknowledged the test was unbiased. The blacks just didn’t like the results in a promotion process that they had already accepted was fair and standard for their occupation.

Wethal on May 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM

In fairness, I don’t think it was the black firefighters who objected to the test results, but the city.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM

So, if all the top scorers were not white, and the case was brought by a non-white, her decision would have been the same?

And if you think it would have been, can you tie that thought to her legal reasoning?

I just think that your use of the word “definitely” is haphazard and assuming.

Why, of all the things we know about human nature, is discrimination not a fair question in regards to her ruling?

Saltysam on May 28, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM

True. However, I think the city was afraid the black firefighters would sue, so they pre-emptively nullified the exam results.

Wethal on May 28, 2009 at 9:02 AM

This is how the moonbats are manipulating her stats. They are not looking at those cases where she was in the dissent and the case was appealed and the reviewing court found for the majority, i.e., they did not agree with her. Also, cases where she is again in the dissent and the reviewing court refuses to even hear the case. They are also not looking at her opinions from her 7 years as US District Judge, published and unpublished.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Proud Rino on May 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Then stop posting incredibly stupid things and pretending its not your fault.

Blake on May 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Just another Geraldo Rivera. Ate up with a debilitating case of latinitis. Causes blindness and vertigo in objective judgement.

What a disaster for the late, great USA. Look out Haiti, here we come.

saiga on May 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Next time, try cleaning up Mexico first………..

…….. I hear they have a problem with headless bodies all over the place.

Seven Percent Solution on May 28, 2009 at 1:05 AM

If latinos are so great and wise, how come all latino countries are such political cesspools? I thought people got the government they disserved.

I think Obama is focused on knocking the USA down to the lower standards of the third world, thereby appearing to elevate the status of victim class people across America.

Everyone says ” don’t underestimate the potential of America”. Who do you think are the people that have earned that reputation? The victim classes or the achiever classes? How does shoving the victims classes to the front of the line help this country?

If Obama really wants to elevate the status of the victim classes, he needs to solve the problem, not attack the symptoms. He needs to clean up the victim class cxultures and get them on a”+hard word” and “personal responsibility” track and get them off the “world owes me a living” mentality.

Short of that, re-arranging the seats on the Titanic won’t cut the mustard.

saiga on May 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM

IlikedAUH2O on May 28, 2009 at 4:38 AM

In fairness to Obama, I think Bill Ayers was busy at the time…so what do you expect?

18-1 on May 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM