Cheney: “We’re happy to have Gen. Powell in the Republican Party”

posted at 9:16 pm on May 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Relax. The climbdown is tempered with plenty of language about sticking to principles. I’m giving you two clips: The Powell bit is in the first but the second, which deals with unintended consequences of Bush’s TARP bailout, is more interesting, insofar as Cheney admits (around 8:00) that he never imagined Congress would abuse its authority under the financial rescue package to seize control of private industry. That’s an uncharacteristically naive move on his part, but on my part too: I thought there was enough congressional oversight to TARP that they’d be able to rein it in. So much for that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Without barstools, we’d start out on the bar room floor!

massrighty on May 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Good news! Since my switchover to day shift I must be snoozing when she chimes in. If I remember right she is a west coaster. My 4am clock-ins are a curse.

Limerick on May 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Yup, she’s down here in Sunny Insane Diego… ;)

doriangrey on May 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I know what I risk, by asking this, but; is Strangelet banned? (Or, did the meds kick in?)

massrighty on May 27, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Not that I am aware of.

Blake on May 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM

blatantblue on May 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM

What’s the scoop on the friend?

Cindy Munford on May 27, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Allahpundit’s intelligence makes up for his lack of bulk. And remember, BOR is more fat than muscle.

Blake on May 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Hard to believe, but that’s actually an insult to barstools.

massrighty on May 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Actually, I should have clarified… “bar” is those big brown wildlife creatures Davy Crockett fought on his way out West.

And “stool” is what they left behind in great steaming heaps.

Del Dolemonte on May 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM

What’s the scoop on the friend?

Cindy Munford on May 27, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Bad concussion and a fuzzy memory. Thank Allah that was all. If he broke his arm, I wouldn’t have cared much.

As long as ya don’t damage the neck or spine.

Thanks for asking.

blatantblue on May 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM

That makes your original comment even better.
I just wanted to go on record supporting Barstools (Lord knows, they’ve supported me in the past.)

massrighty on May 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM

massrighty on May 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM

You’ve never been drunk unless you’ve employed a barstool as a walker.

thomasaur on May 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM

You’ve never been drunk unless you’ve employed a barstool as a walker.

thomasaur on May 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Ooh, something new to try! Thanks for the idea.

massrighty on May 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM

CONSERVATIVES TOLD EVERYONE THAT TARP WAS BAD!

But no one listens to us.

In the pages of history – it will be noted that G.W. Bush handed the Bushido knife to Obama …

Which he promptly used to slice our gullets.

CONSERVATIVES TOLD EVERYONE THAT TARP WAS BAD!

LIMBAUGH
HANNITY
COLTER
BECK
LEVIN
CAVUTO

^^ALL OF THE EVIL PEOPLE WERE RIGHT!

The moderates were … WRONG!

Bush was WRONG!

McCAIN was WRONG!

And guess what … the Republicans who were WRONG sided with the Democrats – WHO WERE WRONG.

See a pattern here?

HondaV65 on May 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Also – one last thing – even if you don’t count TARP as the Golden Goblet of Hemlock because it was authorized by Congress.

You have to admit that Bush abused his authority when he took TARP funds and backstopped the Auto Industry.

Congress authorized the funds to save the banking industry – not the Auto Industry.

HondaV65 on May 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM

blatantblue on May 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Excellent. I don’t even remember how many times my oldest has had the same. He seems to be okay but it’s always a good explanation when he does something we think is weird. And parents always think their kids do weird things.

Cindy Munford on May 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

CONSERVATIVES TOLD EVERYONE THAT TARP WAS BAD!

ALL OF THE EVIL PEOPLE WERE RIGHT!
HondaV65 on May 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Several OK Repubs voted for TARP I in spite of our sending letters not to. They were hoodwinked by the Bush/Democrat team that they had to act immediately or the country would go belly-up. Only Inhofe stood firm and he earned my respect (and my financial support) once again.

Christian Conservative on May 27, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Cindy Munford on May 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM

LOL

Well
As long as there is an explanation.

blatantblue on May 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM

CONSERVATIVES TOLD EVERYONE THAT TARP WAS BAD!

But no one listens to us.

Which he promptly used to slice our gullets.

CONSERVATIVES TOLD EVERYONE THAT TARP WAS BAD!

LIMBAUGH
HANNITY
COLTER
BECK
LEVIN
CAVUTO

^^ALL OF THE EVIL PEOPLE WERE RIGHT!

The moderates were … WRONG!

Bush was WRONG!

McCAIN was WRONG!

See a pattern here?

HondaV65 on May 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM

It is really a sad thing that the Pulitzer Prize doesn’t have a category for blog comments. If there was, this little sonnet of yours would qualify for nomination.

Great job.

platypus on May 28, 2009 at 12:15 AM

HondaV65 on May 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM

YOU ARE RIGHT!

Mojave Mark on May 28, 2009 at 12:28 AM

I suspect I’ve vastly over-estimated this site. LOL*

Amazing.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM

I used to have respect for Powell…but not for some time.

Now I couldn’t care less if he left. What difference would it make anyway? The GOP doesn’t need that guy in order to continue burning itself down.

Spiritk9 on May 28, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Republicans don’t vote for Obamas.

Powell just went for skin color over political affiliation.

Cheney was being sardonic.

profitsbeard on May 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM

I suspect I’ve vastly over-estimated this site. LOL*

Amazing.

AnninCA on May 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM

More vastly than you have over-estimated yourself?

KentAllard on May 28, 2009 at 3:22 AM

Cheney talks straight. Unlike a lot of other weasels.

tarpon on May 28, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Sorry Dick, the GOP isn’t strong enough that it can survive prominent members who voted for the other party and made a big deal of it.

And it won’t ever get big if it tries to accomodate the likes of Colin Powell. He’s not a conservative on anything and he voted for the other party.

Give him the Mark Levin treatment.

Basilsbest on May 28, 2009 at 8:10 AM

dick cheney is the best. without question.

the Va. State Republican convention is this weekend. we’re fighting for our “soul” here.

kelley in virginia on May 28, 2009 at 8:18 AM

kelley in virginia on May 28, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Good luck. As in a tornado or hurricane, hold tight to the innermost sanctuary from storm, the Constitution. Don’t let others tear down the only thing providing refuge because they prefer window dressing or jumping onto the storm’s bandwagon for a free ride to destruction.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Originally, Cheney did NOT bring up Powell. Cheney was asked a specific question as to whom Cheney regarded the “better” Republican compared side-by-side. And whatever he said about Powell effectively leaving the GOP, Cheney never said that he wanted Powell kicked out of the Republican Party.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Good for Kudlow.
1. Cheney a great American resource.
2. Nonetheless, Bush/Cheney laid ALL the groundwork for Obama’s and Congress’ Socialist abuse of power.

Cheney: Faced with Frozen Credit System, Bush’s Federal responsibility to defrost. Debate may have taken place in Treasury as to the extreme lengths Congress would take Bush fiscal efforts. Cheney disclaimer: “I don’t recall” discussing it myself. Hm.

That Obama fails to address the reality of the debt Obama is incurring, no surprise. Candidate Obama promised to cut taxes while promising to give everyone government “freebies” via entitlements that the Constitution never entitled anyone to claim as their “right” as a citizen. Even with the higher taxes that Obama will get legislated, that won’t amount to a drop in the bucket, especially since nearly everyone’s income or savings are either dropping or stagnating EXCEPT for the Democrat tax evaders and those who afford intricate loopholes, or federal employees.

maverick muse on May 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I want him to leave. You cannot vote for, support and promote a Racist Marxist for President and believe you are a Republican. I don’t think he is one or ever has been. He is a disgrace to his family, his race, his uniform and his country – not necessarily in that order.

Sporty1946 on May 28, 2009 at 9:56 AM

A latina woman would make better decisions than a white male….

You have got to be really really stupid to believe that non-sense.

In the pantheon of history, what have latina women achieved compared to white males? Nadda

A deeper victimhood mentality is about it.

saiga on May 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM

See a pattern here?

HondaV65 on May 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Yep. Well said.

As Rush often says – conservatism works every time it’s tried. Sorry RINOs – liberalism doesn’t necessarily have a partisan feature. Liberalism is stupid no matter which party endorses it.

Jaibones on May 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Mr Cheney, nahhhh we don’t want him. He ditched us and voted for abomination. Case closed on him. done, finito, finis.

dogsoldier on May 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I guess Dick still feels bad about lying to Powell about the WMDs and causing him to lie to the UN.

Constantine on May 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM