Burris Update: A 7.5 on the Toast-o-Meter

posted at 8:46 am on May 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

If Roland Burris thought that he might have a few weeks before the transcripts of his call to the Blagojevich Enterprise leaked to the press, he has now discovered the speed of the modern media.  A site run in partnership by WGN and the Chicago Tribune got the court order, with the transcript included, and published it last night.  The transcript devastates Burris’ claims of innocence:

A transcript of a secretly recorded phone call between the brother of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich and U.S. Sen. Roland Burris was released in federal court today, a call in which Burris, then seeking the Senate seat, was recorded offering the Blagojevich campaign a campaign check. …

Burris did not specifically mention offering Blagojevich a check in affidavits he filed in Springfield in connection with hearings on Blagojevich’s impeachment. On a “good will” tour around the state in February, Burris addressed a conversation he had with Blagojevich’s brother, Robert, during the fall timeframe.

“So some time shortly after Obama was elected, the brother called,” Burris said then. “And now in the meantime, I’d talked to some people about trying to see if we could put a fundraiser on. Nobody was — they said we aren’t giving money to the governor. And I said, ‘OK, you know, I can’t tell them what to do with their money.’

“So when the [governor's] brother called me back, I said, ‘Well, look Rob … I can’t raise any money from my friends. I said, maybe my partner and I, you can talk this over and see, could we go to some other people that we might be able to talk to that would help us out if we give — because we give a fundraiser in the law office, nobody going to show up. We’ll probably have a thousand dollars for you or something to that effect.’”

The new transcript proves Burris lied, and lied a lot, during his sworn testimony.  Here’s what Burris actually said to Robert Blagojevich, the impeached governor’s brother:

BLAGOJEVICH: We’ve had a number of conversations about, you know, anything you might be able to do; you and Fred might be able to do here before the end of the year for Rod. Again, we’re trying to get as much as we can in his war chest, ah, so that when he has to, you know disclose in January …

BURRIS: Sure.

BLAGOJEVICH: … what he’s done and if he, you know looks formidable. … whoever might be out there.

BURRIS: Yeah. Right, right and, and now how do, answer me this question because I’m very much interested in, in trying to replace Obama, okay. Now I …

BLAGOJEVICH: So you, let me just tell you Roland, …

BURRIS: Yeah.

BLAGOJEVICH: … you and 1 million other people.

BURRIS: That’s right, that’s right so …

BLAGOJEVICH: Of every race, color, creed and faith, it’s amazing.

BURRIS: So let, it is and so if I put on a fundraiser now …

BLAGOJEVICH: Mm hm.

BURRIS: … and, I, you know I, I think it would have something … this is what I’ve been talking to Fred about it, it has so many negative connotations that Burris is trying to buy an appointment …

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: … from the governor …

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: … for the Senate seat. I mean and I’m a high-profile person.

BLAGOJEVICH: Yep.

BURRIS: You know and, and so, I’m now, ’cause I’ve been just holding off calling you.

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: I’m trying to figure out how in the hell and since you called me I will be honest with you.

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: And I’m trying to figure out how to deal with this and still be in the consideration for the appointment.

BLAGOJEVICH: I hear ya. No, I hear ya.

BURRIS: And, and if I do that I guarantee you that, that will get out and people said, oh, Burris is doing a fundraiser and, and then Rod and I both gonna catch hell,

BLAGOJEVICH: Mm hm.

BURRIS: And if I do get appointed that means I bought it.

BLAGOJEVICH: Mmmm.

BURRIS: If I don’t get appointed then my people who I’m trying to raise money from are gonna look at me, yeah, what, what’s that all about Roland. I mean, so, Rob, I’m in a, I’m in a, a dilemma right now wanting to help the governor.

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: I mean I, you know I, I have been with him on all of the, all the issues and I’m now trying to figure out what the hell the best thing to do.

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: I know I could give him a check.

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: Myself.

BLAGOJEVICH: Yeah.

BURRIS: And, and my law partner we were gonna try to do something at the law firm. I might be able to do this in the name of Tim Wright.

BLAGOJEVICH: Mm hm.

BURRIS: Okay, ’cause Tim is not looking for an appointment, okay.

BLAGOJEVICH: Okay.

BURRIS: So if I can talk to my law partner who’s been, you know, in New York trying to drum up business.

BLAGOJEVICH: Oh, good for you, …

BURRIS: (chuckles)

BLAGOJEVICH: good for you.

BURRIS: ‘Cause you know he’s trying to get a part of that, ah, federal bailout stuff.

BLAGOJEVICH: Oh, yeah, yeah.

There’s much more, all of it bad, and all of it proving that Burris and Robert Blagojevich wanted to build a way for Burris to contribute to the Blagojevich Enterprise without making it look like a purchase of the seat.  Burris never says that he was reluctant to hold a fundraiser during the conversation; in fact, he practically begs Blagojevich to allow him to hold one, while repeatedly reminding the governor’s brother of his interest in Obama’s seat.

The coup de grace comes, by the way, when Burris notes that his partner isn’t available for consultations –  because he’s trying to feed at the federal bailout trough.  Even if Burris hadn’t been bargaining for the Senate seat, wouldn’t that be a huge conflict of interest for Burris now?  It provides yet another line of inquiry for the Senate Ethics Committee, although right now it looks like the equivalent of prosecuting Ted Bundy for tax evasion.

Does this force Burris to resign?  Supposedly he’s still preparing his 2010 run for the seat Rod Blagojevich apparently sold him.  This is likely the last shoe to drop for a while, and Burris might think he could ride this out.  Democrats in Illinois know that the longer this drags out, the less likely they will get to hold the seat next year — and perhaps others around the state, as voters wonder who else played Let’s Make a Deal with the Blagojevich Brothers.  Dick Durbin and Pat Quinn have already tried on more than one occasion to push Burris out, and I’d expect more to join them now.

Comments

D’OH !!!!

The Chicago Way.

jake-the-goose on May 27, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Everything and everyone coming out of Chicago is tainted. Its a cesspool than spawns corruption and greed on a magnitude where they have now gone to the national stage to satisfy their lusts. Barry Soetero represents him well.

volsense on May 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Democrats never ever resign, they lie, misdirect, blame others and obfuscate.

doriangrey on May 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Does this force Burris to resign? Supposedly he’s still preparing his 2010 run for the seat Rod Blagojevich apparently sold him. This is likely the last shoe to drop for a while, and Burris might think he could ride this out. Democrats in Illinois know that the longer this drags out, the less likely they will get to hold the seat next year

I think you underestimate the foolishness of most Illinois voters, Ed.

MadisonConservative on May 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Obama has to find a position for him , he fits right in.

Ethics Czar?

the_nile on May 27, 2009 at 8:55 AM

He won’t resign and he won’t be dismissed . . . this is typical behavior for leftist Democrats and they simply don’t care what he has done. Sad but true.

rplat on May 27, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but doesn’t everybody know that you don’t discuss this kind of stuff on the telephone?

Heck, you don’t even discuss this kind of stuff in your own office. You discuss it in a loud park while eating a hot dog or sitting next to one another, pretending to read a newspaper.

How did Chicago get so good at corruption when they are so bad that they get caught?

myrenovations on May 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM

A Democrat politician lying under oath? Claude Rains has no comment.

Del Dolemonte on May 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Whatcha think of those apples checks, Harry?

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM

REpub should hammer on this now, right this second. Milk it for all it’s worth. Because it’s not gonna last. The Dems are too stupid to kick him out of the Senate, but the guy has raised 500 dollars in his re-election fund. He’s doomed in the primaries. So attach the corruption to Dems now, before he’s gone.

Trent1289 on May 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Obama has to find a position for him , he fits right in.

Ethics Czar?

the_nile on May 27, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Oh, that’s going to be a close call between Powell and Burris. Which one bribed enough people???

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Quick! Someone blame a buxom blonde for something!

SouthernGent on May 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Trent1289 on May 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM

True… Also run a right of center Repub against him… Or at least encourage a Blue Dog…

Also, there’s got to be a way of tying either Harry or Nancy to him again…

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Man, this stinks for Burris, but I’m glad we have the transcript.

I am one who doesn’t mind at all politicians doing fundraisers for each other and I understand how sometimes campaign financing can look stinky when it’s really not…….but this stinks because it’s obvious what Blago’s bro is doing here. He is soliciting money for the seat. And no matter what willingness Burris might have here in wanting to support Blago anyway, Burris is actively participating in what he knows to be a transaction of “seat for money”. I mean, if I like Candidate X and want to support him regardless of whether or not I get a pay-off, then when that candidate or his agent contacts me about a pay-off, my willingness to support him anyway doesn’t excuse my willingness to participate in the transaction aspect. I hope that makes sense.

It sounds to me that Burris would support Blago anyway regardless of whether or not he would get the seat as pay-off for said support. Rather than being offended by the offer of the seat for a pay-off, though, Burris was a willing participant in the transaction process and even knew the political consequences of being found out by the public for said participation.

I mean, it stinks……..bad. I think that based on this conversation alone, Burris is more ethical than Blago…..but he didn’t balk at the offer and, instead, plotted to work out a way to do it.

Sad. Sounds like Burris is someone who might have done things on the up and up had he not been given this “opportunity”, “temptation”, however you want to characterize it. I don’t know much about Burris. I’m just basing my view on this particular transcript.

gocatholic on May 27, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Blago is just a VICTIM of good-hair-hating people!!!

don’t worry, the dead people of IL(L) will make sure a democrat stays in office!

right4life on May 27, 2009 at 9:04 AM

MSNBC is going to have to send out their hard hitting Ivy League Educated Journalist (In Barbara Walter’s words) to get to the bottom of this…

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Our system is corrupted to the very core. What a shame…

TheBigOldDog on May 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM

we can’t attack burris because he’s black. he is a magic negro US Senator; in fact, the only one of that description. the fact that he may be a crook is of absolutely no importance because he is a Dem.

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Blago is just a VICTIM of good-hair-hating people!!!

right4life on May 27, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Getalife and her dead Donk registered husband Harry Dick come to mind…

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I think most normal voting Americans have lost track of who is and is not on the “OK to Confront” List… We’re going to need Anderson Cooper to remind us.

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM

How in the world are they, (the democrats), going to run a campaign to get rid of the man they embraced during his entrance?

“Regardless of the charges against him, the governor still has the right to fill the Senate vacancy, Ms. Feinstein said” (the Times left out the quotes here)
Roland Burris is welcome to Washington; he is welcome to come to my office,” Illinois’s senior senator, Richard J. Durbin, the chamber’s No. 2 Democrat, said on Monday. “

This seat should be ripe for a party change.

Rovin on May 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM

if this really surprises anyone then that person is a moron
chicago is all pay to play
repub chrysler dealers forced out
etc…etc…etc…
i want to hear every taped recording
especially the rahm/blago tapes
too bad the repubs are spineless
oh look..a puppy

JJKRN on May 27, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Elections have consequences, folks.

Our president came from this environment. Yeah.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Mr. Steele, Line 1.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Elections have consequences, folks.

Our president came from this environment. Yeah.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Hey, I don’t know about you, but this is the change that I’ve been believing in waiting for hoping for. We need to put these petty differences aside. It’s what Barrack asks of us.

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Illinois needs a political overhaul, starting with Chicago.

therightscoop on May 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM

The coup de grace comes, by the way, when Burris notes that his partner isn’t available for consultations – because he’s trying to feed at the federal bailout trough. Even if Burris hadn’t been bargaining for the Senate seat, wouldn’t that be a huge conflict of interest for Burris now?

You mean the way Pelosi’s husband’s firm is feeding at the federal trough, with her help in Washington? People in government seem to think that ‘conflict of interest’ is another one of those quaint, outdated notions, like the constitution.

ProfessorMiao on May 27, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Illinois needs a political overhaul mass political lobotomy, starting with Chicago.

therightscoop on May 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM

FIFY

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Now Burris is delusional.

Sen. Burris heads out on tour of central Illinois

Associated Press – May 27, 2009 8:54 AM ET

CHICAGO (AP) – U.S. Sen. Roland Burris says he never participated in a pay-to-play scheme despite the release of a transcript in which he offers to “personally do something” for then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s campaign fund.

Burris spoke to reporters outside his Chicago home Wednesday before leaving on a 2-day tour of central Illinois. The Democrat says he didn’t try to buy President Barack Obama’s vacant Senate seat and never committed perjury.

The senator’s comments come one day after a judge allowed the release of a Nov. 13 wiretapped conversation between Burris and the former governor’s brother. In it, Burris presses Robert Blagojevich for appointment to the Senate seat.

Burris on Wednesday said the transcript shows he’s been truthful.

Ummmmmm……what world is he living in, exactly?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM

“BURRIS: ‘Cause you know he’s trying to get a part of that, ah, federal bailout”

I’m happy to know that the American entrepreneurship spirit is alive and well…

ujorge on May 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Our president came from this environment. Yeah.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I never heard about that on the news.

artist on May 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM

We need to put these petty differences aside. It’s what Barrack asks of us.

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Well…..remember what Michelle O’Bama from the House of Mog Robinson has said…..

Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.

Nothing to see here, you dolts.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:21 AM

In order to give Burris more credibility, I think every single ethical Democrat should stand next to Burris for a photo shoot.

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Does anyone really believe that the Dems will censure Burris?

Promote, perhaps. Censure, not a chance in Hell.

His Holiness will make this investigation go away.

Vic on May 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Rovin on May 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM
——
Because the Illinois Republican Party is an ‘effin’ disgrace and disaster.

Mew

acat on May 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I never heard about that on the news.

artist on May 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM

And you never will. It was the subject of Rahmbo’s pow-wow with Carville, Paul Arugula and Stephie this morning and went out as an email to Leg Vanilla Thrilla and Olberdouche.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Nothing to see here, you dolts.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Oh, Michelle, we worship at your toned, yet most likely completely fraudulent sack of self!

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:24 AM

what else can burris do other than “deny, deny, deny”?

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM

what else can burris do other than “deny, deny, deny”?

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM

As we speak, they’re sending in Coach Billy Clinton.

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:26 AM

i bet nothing will happen to burris.

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:26 AM

what else can burris do other than “deny, deny, deny”?

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Well, if he’s in the Clinton School for Applied Corruption, he could sexually harass a white woman.

/sarc

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

that bill clinton was one smooth “deny-er”, wasn’t he? actually, he was a joy to watch because he was so good. current president, not so much.

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

OT you gotta check out these pictures of Dear Leader at the fundraiser in Las Vegas. Creepy to the max.

WisCon on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

what else can burris do other than “deny, deny, deny”?

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM
——-
Man up, say “I screwed up” and accept the consequences?

Oh, sorry, forgot. Illinois Dem.

My bad.

Mew

* who fully expects Obama to keep pushing the North Korean crisis off the front page …. somehow.

acat on May 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Ummmmmm……what world is he living in, exactly?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Tell a lie long enough and it becomes the truth.

Isn’t it amazing that our Dear Leader could come out of this cesspool of corruption without even a whiff of less than completely ethical? Just goes to show how wonderful The One is. We need to erect a 50′ statue in His honor.

As for Burris, it is clear this is the fault of George W. Bush.

rbj on May 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM

rbj on May 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM
——
The media have spent so long in the cesspool they can’t smell for s**t … ?

Yeah.

Mew

acat on May 27, 2009 at 9:29 AM

i bet nothing will happen to burris.

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Pelosi is sharing some of her immunity…

But in the words of the (their) great progressive heroine,

“God’s going to get you for that, Walter (Insert Shameful Politician’s Name)”

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Ok how does Miss California fit into this scheme? She’s pretty much responsible for Prop 8 and the North Koreans firing missiles over Japan, I’d like to know her angle, specifically how did she manage to fake these Burris tapes and frame an innocent black, democrat?

Bishop on May 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Yeah, I got to say, the left is giving Clinton a bad name by calling Obama “cool” and “calm.”

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM

WisCon on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I don’t know why this speech came to mind…

is not a cult-movement – a movement for worship; it is exclusively a ‘volkic’ political doctrine based upon racial principles. In its purpose there is no mystic cult, only the care and leadership of a people defined by a common blood-relationship. Therefore we have no rooms for worship, but only halls for the people – no open spaces for worship, but spaces for assemblies and parades. We have no religious retreats, but arenas for sports and playing-fields, and the characteristic feature of our places of assembly is not the mystical gloom of a cathedral, but the brightness and light of a room or hall which combines beauty with fitness for its purpose. In these halls no acts of worship are celebrated, they are exclusively devoted to gatherings of the people of the kind which we have come to know in the course of our long struggle; to such gatherings we have become accustomed and we wish to maintain them. We will not allow mystically-minded occult folk with a passion for exploring the secrets of the world beyond to steal into our Movement.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 27, 2009 at 9:32 AM

WisCon on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

My favorite…

Is there a Sith Lord?

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Bishop on May 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Keith Olbermann saying that in 5 … 4… 3…

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:35 AM

WisCon on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Ogabe shouldn’t be allowed within 500′ of anything having to do with Lincoln.

Of course that would mean he would need to leave the White House to steer clear of the Lincoln Bedroom. Oh well, we all need to sacrifice.

Bishop on May 27, 2009 at 9:36 AM

The shenanigans going on in Washington now make the Clinton’s looks like pikers.

Ah, let’s ask questions about this too:

BLAGOJEVICH: Oh, good for you, …

BURRIS: (chuckles)

BLAGOJEVICH: good for you.

BLAGOJEVICH: Oh, yeah, yeah.

The U.S. is being plundered prior to it’s fall.

TheSitRep on May 27, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Chicago street thug politics.

Now in the White House thanks to Bambi.

wildcat84 on May 27, 2009 at 9:39 AM

The Daily Show is bound to come down hard on this…

I mean, the humor in the reporters who actually broke this story *he he he*

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM

The Democratic Party. Home of the best government money can buy. We are truly in deep trouble, with the party of Burris, Frank, Rangel et al controlling both houses of Congress and the Executive branch. Not to mention Madam Speaker, who should be playing Madame DeFarge in a B movie re-make of “A Tale of Two Cities.” I am deeply concerned for the well-being of the republic.

Orson Buggeigh on May 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Obama: “Harry, you know I’m here to check on the West Coast operations. The families back east arent’ happy. They think your skimming off the top. Not a good thing, if you get my drift”

Reid: “Fuggedaboutit. Everbody knows the game is slow. I aint’ takin’ nuttin off da top. I ain’t stoooopid. Hey, how’d you like dose DVDs tings I sent to ya, uh? And the kids, aaayyy did they like the plastic choppers? You must’a liked’em cuz I hear you gave the same gifts to dat poge from da United Thiefdom….heh heh.”

Obama: “Watch yourself. We are. And do something about that kike…Pelosi eh?”

Reid: “Say no more. I got some guys in the CIA..she’s done.”

BobMbx on May 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM

BobMbx on May 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Upstater85 on May 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Burris fits right in with the other crooked Democrats.

ObamatheMessiah on May 27, 2009 at 9:53 AM

what else can burris do other than “deny, deny, deny”?

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Blame Boooosh?

Laura in Maryland on May 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM

wait!?! a corrupt black politician from Chicago connected to Blago…man where have I heard of that before?…hmmm can’t seem to put my finger on it…give me a while I’m sure I could…

elduende on May 27, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Illinois needs a political overhaul, starting with Chicago.

therightscoop on May 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM

AMERICA needs an overhaul starting with D.C.

izoneguy on May 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Burris Update: A 7.5 on the Toast-o-Meter

Sorry, Ed, I gotta call you on the use of the Toast-o-Meter. The Toast-o-Meter was used extensively in the 2004 and 2008 election cycles by Dr. Steven L. Taylor of PoliBlog fame. Though probably not formally copyrighted, he used it extensively, and to my knowledge exclusively when talking about politicians making their exit. And although the whole torture debate has sent him from conservative pundit to loony left spittle sprayer, he should still be credited.

Buckland on May 27, 2009 at 11:00 AM

myrenovations on May 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Simple. The voters in Chicago just don’t really care. As long as the pols are a Democrat and liberal their morals are not an issue. “Getting caught” is considered a minor issue in the job description, with full knowledge that there will be no follow-up after the story ages. The proper palms had already been greased prior to taking office. An ethical politician just does not make it up the rungs of the ladder.

Yoop on May 27, 2009 at 11:15 AM

You mean it’s not being distributed by the One to the needy and qualified?! Shocka!!

Burris is safe. If Rangel and Dodd are still there, Burris is safe.

PattyJ on May 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Roland “Winnie the Pooh” Burris is safe. The Dems aren’t calling investigations into any of their own. They feel they have a powerful majority that doesn’t need to be concerned with ethics. They feel they can just run roughshod over the law now. Look at the speed reader they hired to show what a joke they think ethics, rules and the american people are. Is it time for torches and pitchforks yet?

chicagojedi on May 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Let’s not tiptoe around it, Ed: Burris tried to buy a Senate seat.

“I know I could give him a check,” Burris said. “Myself.”

But in the same call, Burris tells Robert Blagojevich he is concerned he and Rod Blagojevich will “catch hell.”

“And if I do get appointed that means I bought it,” Burris said.

Paul_in_NJ on May 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I think you underestimate the foolishness of most Illinois voters, Ed.

MadisonConservative on May 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM

He’s still good for 90+% of the black Democrat vote, and he’s still good for 50% of the ethnic Democrat vote, as these are all votes based on race (he’s still black, I think) or mob-controlled partisanship (youse vote for da Dem and we won’t break your legs, okay?). But I think Ed’s point is accurate, in that the Democrats themselves will kneecap this greedy, crooked little freak in the primary. This is the Senate, after all.

As for the pathetic, lost GOP, they will remain bewildered at their inability to take advantage of a level of Democrat corruption so public, so obvious, so pervasive, so appalling that it boggles the mind.

Jaibones on May 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Burris potential defense:

“That was not me; that was not Blago. Everybody knows Rod can’t help but drop an F-Bomb every fourth word. How many F-Bombs did you see in that transcript? None? Well, there ya go!”

innominatus on May 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Meh! Burris did everything but call the news reporters racists when he was confronted outside his home today.

Roland will get a medal from the Chicago Democratic Machine.

southsideironworks on May 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM

After Rob Blagojevich mentioned the idea of the fundraiser, it was Burris doing all the talking, with Blagojevich saying a lot of “yeah” and “mmhmm”. Then Burris suggests blaming it on his law partner “Tim” who is not looking for an appointment, and the deal is closed.

This does need to be shouted loud and clear by the Republicans, to try to tie Burris to Senate Democrats, to make THEM look corrupt. Then let’s see how long the Democrats take to dump Burris.

Then the new IL Governor will have to find somebody “clean” to take the Senate seat, if there are any clean Democrats in Illinois. Maybe outside of Crook County.

In the meantime, Merry Fitzmas, Tim.

Steve Z on May 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM

kelley in virginia on May 27, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Let’s remember that Mrs. Clinton was born and raised in a Chicago suburb. So who taught whom how to lie with a poker face? It requires a suspension of disbelief.

Steve Z on May 27, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Can the GOP run this before the 2012 elections? Across the country, but especially in Chicago?

njcommuter on May 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Oh noooo. Even the talking heads on Fox News felt that Burris was a squeaky clean ‘victim’.

Doesn’t Fox News have any real investigative journalists working for them? Deep Throat-type connections? Anything?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Burris is on Hardball right now, and Chrissy is giving him the business. I don’t think this is what Roland imagined when he chose MSNBC as the network for his first public interview since the release of the wiretaps. Frankly, I’m surprised this topic was even covered on his show, but even Matthews is smart enough to know to disown this clown ASAP, all thrills aside.

Colin Harris on May 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Nevermind.

“I’ve always liked you as a public official.” -Matthews to Burris

Colin Harris on May 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I was kicked back last night, channel surfing. As I meandered by AMC, I noted that “The Fugitive” was on, so I stopped for a while. I found something interesting in one particular scene(don’t know if anyone ever mentioned it).

Harrison Ford was blending into the St. Patrick’s day parade to escape Tommy Lee Jones. As Harrison exited the parade to scurry off into the folks along the parade route, I thought I saw Roland Burris walking in the parade. I dug through the DVD library to look for my copy to confirm, and there he was–I think.

Maybe Sen. Burris needs to be looking for the one armed man to prove his innocence.

jack herman on June 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM