Schumer to GOP: Oppose Sotomayor at your peril

posted at 6:30 pm on May 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler. So mindlessly is he regurgitating talking points here about Sotomayor’s alleged moderation — which seems to be based entirely on cases about criminal law — that he actually congratulates Obama at the end for not choosing, and I quote, a “far-out liberal.” Because if there’s anyone whose heart would break at the thought of a hardcore lefty on the Supreme Court, it’s Chuck Schumer’s. As for Republican opposition, he’s worried over nothing. The head of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus has already sent up a racial flare warning them away from opposing her; the GOP contingent on the Senate Judiciary Committee consists entirely of white men, too, making the identity politics optics especially unfavorable. (Marco Rubio’s doing his best on their behalf from Florida.) I’ll be surprised if she gets less than 75 votes. Note also Schumer’s reference to the hardline “five percent” of Republicans who’ll agitate to try to block her. As I suggested in the Rush post, if any serious opposition to her does mount in the Senate, no doubt the party will be accused of doing Limbaugh’s bidding yet again. I’m sure they’ll press her on the “policy” quote and on the “wise Latina woman” bit from her speech, but given the identity politics here and the fact that they’re surely not going to filibuster her, what’s the political upside to them from a party-line “no” vote?

Don’t be too bummed, though. Frum may have found the silver lining here.

Comments

How far will white guilt take us into the toilet?

reaganaut on May 26, 2009

The nation will be in ruin, the constitution will be rewritten, we’ll have a bright new red flag, no more private property and we’ll be sustained on a diet of rice and beans while Obama is appointed dictator for life (Hey, what’s the point of elections once you’ve found a messiah),, then somewhere about that time white liberals will finally stand in their dungeons, legs in irons and bread crusts in hand, they will all stand in unison and say “Our guilt is cleansed and our sins are atoned for.” Only thing is, by then no one will care nor even hear.

JellyToast on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I’m so proud of this chica; She helped stop the bombing in Vieques, who we weren’t even in war with, and there were no terrorists there!

Cybergeezer on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Every time I see Schumer I want to kick his face in. Is it him or me?

SouthernGent on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

The Corner has a long post saying she is really anti-business.

promachus on May 26, 2009 at 7:24 PM

She sounds like a total Leftist flake. Also a nit-picking nag from what I’ve read. She does not sound like someone who works well with others.

The only thing in her favor is that it appears she cannot sway with her intellect and will perhaps irritate some of the more liberal judges into siding against her out of sheer frustration.

INC on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

SouthernGent on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

It’s him. His sanctimonious smirk of superiority sickens, steams and stirs me into a stew!

INC on May 26, 2009 at 7:30 PM

what’s the political upside to them from a party-line “no” vote?

A modicum of self respect?

Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you’ll live… at least for a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin’ to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take… OUR FREEDOM!
– William Wallace

MB4 on May 26, 2009 at 7:30 PM

‘Bout time. Clarence Thomas was appointed long time ago. I wondered when the Left could step to the plate and bring forth a minority. The xx-xtremists have been a little behind the times.

seven on May 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Every time I see Schumer I want to kick his face in. Is it him or me?

SouthernGent on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Perfectly natural reaction. Like stomping a cocka roacha.

BobMbx on May 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM

A modicum of self respect?

– William Wallace

LOVE that movie, and in particular, that quote!

Sam Adams on May 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Every time I see Schumer I want to kick his face in. Is it him or me?

SouthernGent on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Take a number. The only person who annoys me more is the ACORN Lawyuh…Scott Levenson. (with a pic of Megyn Kelly to void out his ickiness.

portlandon on May 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Sonia is pro-amnesty, that is all I need to know to fight against confirmation.
That should at least be brought up…

right2bright on May 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I can only pray the GOP has the guts to trash this liberal fruitcake like a grape. Remember it’s not whether or not she’s approved, but how much we can turn her name to mud by the end of the confirmation process. This reverse discrimination business is a good start. No more mr. nice guy. Time to crawl with the cockroaches.

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Every time I see Schumer I want to kick his face in. Is it him or me?

SouthernGent on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

That is a very primitive emotion. You must know that as a cultured man and dedicated professional I could never sanction anything like that. However, if I ever get the chance to hook my electroshock machine up to him and you just happened to call me on one of those telephone contraptions and get my mind on other things I could well, given my advanced age and state of decomposition, just go on home and forget to turn the electroshock machine off.

Sigmund on May 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Translation of Senator Scummer’s Newspeak: “Dear Republicans. if you don’t vote for Sotomayor’s nomination, people who despise you, revile you, have never voted for you and will NEVER vote for you will really be pissed off.”

MaiDee on May 26, 2009 at 7:42 PM

chuckie is way way more powerful than harry reid. and much scarier.

kelley in virginia on May 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I think Sotomayor’s family should be investigated just like Palin’s family. Let’s find out every little detail about what her children, spouse, great aunt or gardener did twenty years ago. Also, she should have to do a live tv interview with James Dobson as to make it all square from the Couric/Palin gig. Where is Delay when we need him.

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM

chucky; dear old poster boy for

abortion
anti gun
weasels
liars
racists?

falderal on May 26, 2009 at 7:50 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Dude we don’t even fully know her record yet and you already talking about character assassination? Stay classy.

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I’d say Chuck Schumer could bite me, but I haven’t had a rabies shot yet. What a putz!

Driefromseattle on May 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM

That’s actually a great idea, except for two problems.

One, Republicans don’t have the balls. You know, the standard “we must be better than them” excuse for losing every battle.

Two, it wouldn’t matter. You could dig up video footage of her raping and molesting 8 year-old children, and the left wouldn’t care. The media would ignore it completely and anyone currently supporting her would rant that it’s nothing more than a “right-wing smear job.”

Lefties, being the animals that they are, would still support her.

Gregor on May 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM

“NCLR LAUDS HISTORIC APPOINTMENT OF SOTOMAYOR TO NATION’S HIGHEST COURT”

What could go wrong………?

Seven Percent Solution on May 26, 2009 at 7:55 PM

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Reading material (from The New Republic of all places!):

The Case Against Sotomayor

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been talking to a range of people who have worked with her, nearly all of them former law clerks for other judges on the Second Circuit or former federal prosecutors in New York. Most are Democrats and all of them want President Obama to appoint a judicial star of the highest intellectual caliber who has the potential to change the direction of the court. Nearly all of them acknowledged that Sotomayor is a presumptive front-runner, but nearly none of them raved about her. They expressed questions about her temperament, her judicial craftsmanship, and most of all, her ability to provide an intellectual counterweight to the conservative justices, as well as a clear liberal alternative.

The most consistent concern was that Sotomayor, although an able lawyer, was “not that smart and kind of a bully on the bench,” as one former Second Circuit clerk for another judge put it. “She has an inflated opinion of herself, and is domineering during oral arguments, but her questions aren’t penetrating and don’t get to the heart of the issue.” (During one argument, an elderly judicial colleague is said to have leaned over and said, “Will you please stop talking and let them talk?”)

INC on May 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Her opinions, although competent, are viewed by former prosecutors as not especially clean or tight, and sometimes miss the forest for the trees. It’s customary, for example, for Second Circuit judges to circulate their draft opinions to invite a robust exchange of views. Sotomayor, several former clerks complained, rankled her colleagues by sending long memos that didn’t distinguish between substantive and trivial points, with petty editing suggestions–fixing typos and the like–rather than focusing on the core analytical issues.

INC on May 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM

DEMOCRATS THREATEN ALS SEN SHUMER. THEY SHOULE BE ARRESTED AND TRIED AND CONVICTED THEN PUNISHED WATER BOARD FOR 20 MINS

rone5847 on May 26, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Lefties, being the animals that they are, would still support her.

Gregor on May 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Although this sounds crazy, it really isn’t far from the truth. I’m always amazed at what the left gets away with. I remember watching the coverage of the inauguration festivities and the rapper Jay-Z was telling President Bush to get his a** out of the White House because the black man was taking over. Didn’t hear a peep out of anyone regarding this comment. Can you even imagine if someone told Obama to get his butt out of the WH because a white man was taking over. All hell would break loose.

Callie C. on May 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM

INC on May 26, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Still no reason to engage in character assassination.

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I agree no character assassination–I should have clarified. What I would like to see is character reality brought to light.

INC on May 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM

How can this clown even show his face on the streets of New York? Look how Obama with Chuckie’s help has destroyed Wall Street. New York residents – get rid of this guy. If you must elect another democrat, fine, but this guy is bad news.

suzyk on May 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Still no reason to engage in character assassination.

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Classic example of my earlier point. THIS is exactly why we continue to lose, and why we’re now living in the United Socialist States of America.

Keep on being classy. I’m sure everything will work out just fine because eventually our enemies will realize how classy we are and will simply give up. I mean, I’m sure La Raza and radical Islam will stop being so mean when they realize we’re being nice.

I’m going to go vomit now.

Gregor on May 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Every time I see Schumer I want to kick his face in. Is it him or me?

SouthernGent on May 26, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Brother, believe me you are not alone. A few years ago he walked right past me on a quiet Brooklyn street and don’t think I wasn’t tempted.

J.J. Sefton on May 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM

This is the moron whose party was so kind to Clarence Thomas?

Bite me, Chuckie.

drjohn on May 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Oooo – what’s that putz gonna do? Threaten the GOP with electoral losses or something?

Idiot.

Good Lt on May 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Here’s a trip down memory lane on what Schumer & the Dems did to Estrada:

Democrats Ambush Estrada

INC on May 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM

So you get on Law Review solely on merit? Wasn’t Obama elected to it with no writings? Guess hes lucky he went to a different law school.

Speedwagon82 on May 26, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Power in the hands of people like Chucky is why I now believe in term limits.

d1carter on May 26, 2009 at 8:12 PM

J.J. Sefton on May 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM

A random act of senseless violence on the streets of NY. Just another unsolved crime that saved the world.

At some point, even the Praetorian Guard got fed up with the crap.

One can only hope.

BobMbx on May 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I’m going to go vomit now.

Gregor on May 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Playing dirty politics might get u short political gain but you lose the moral high ground.

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Butchered by Schumer

Schumer and his bitter-end Democrats have adopted the novel idea that a judicial nominee’s “ideology” disqualifies the nominee, if that ideology is not congenial with Schumer…

By opposing Republican judicial nominees over the matter of “ideology” the Democrats have politicized the courts. They have also broken the rules hitherto followed in confirming a judicial appointment. Until Schumer adopted his extremist position a judicial nominee was confirmed or rejected by a simple majority in the Senate. But with the nomination of Estrada (and two remaining judicial nominations), the Democrats commenced a historically unprecedented filibuster…

Estrada is the first circuit or district judicial nominee ever to be defeated by filibuster. Or put another way he is the first nominee to be forced to gain the support of 60 senators rather than a majority. He has been investigated and grilled for over two years and nothing of substance was discovered to disqualify his nomination…

The reason that a man of such normative views as Estrada has been opposed by the Democrats is that they see themselves as the party of the ethnic minorities. Estrada is a Latino. That the Republicans would raise him to one of the highest courts in the country proves that Latinos are welcome in the Republican Party too. They do not have to be beholden to Democrats. Moreover Estrada is so manifestly qualified for the court that were he confirmed he might very well be nominated by the Bush Administration to the Supreme Court. That would badly impair the Democrats’ claim to be the party of Latinos. Thus the soi-disant party of Latinos comes down hard on a successful Latino.

INC on May 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

To who?

apollyonbob on May 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Playing dirty politics might just save this country from unapologetic liberals who want to radically change everything I hold dear.

Also, Schumer and the rest of the cronies should be rounded up and put in internment camps after this is all over. :)

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 26, 2009 at 8:31 PM

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Yeah, how’d that work out for us in the last few elections? The only thing we got was Bush reelected, we lost everything else. Time for some new tactics.

R D on May 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM

She’s divorced and has no children.

newton on May 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM

How does Chuck Schumer show his face in public without someone punching his lights out? I mean seriously. He must have big goons in his entourage or something for protection.

He just has that “Please smack me in the pie hole” look – all the time.

HondaV65 on May 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Yeah, how’d that work out for us in the last few elections?

It is not about winning.

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:39 PM

The up-side of strong opposition at this time is to serve warning for the next time .Just because there is no way I can win,that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t fight.The bully might kick my a$$ every time,but he will always know he has had to work for it.

DDT on May 26, 2009 at 8:40 PM

The way Schummer treated Estrada was reprehensible. Never gave him a chance of day. And to drag this for five years!

I think there should be a law that would authorize citizens to punch their U.S. Senators in their faces, so they would remember they serve the people, not themselves. The people who voted them in can vote them out just as well.

newton on May 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM

It is not about winning.

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:39 PM

It’s not? We’re supposed to sit around and let the country go down the drain? I don’t think so. Screw the high road. I think you’ll see some amazing things before the next election in 2010 that will change your mind about the need to win.

R D on May 26, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Um… should I be scared that David Frum is actually starting to make sense to me again?

Mark V. on May 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Fire Allahpundit!

Mr Purple on May 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Fire Allahpundit!

Mr Purple on May 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Why?

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Mark V. on May 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Don’t be worried… he’ll write something assinine tomorrow.

myrenovations on May 26, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Fire Allahpundit!

Mr Purple on May 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Why?

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Because he links to MSNBC videos? I dunno!

SouthernGent on May 26, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I caught only part of Hannity interviewing Hatch, but Hatch seems a lot less weak-kneed about checking under her hood than I expected. Hatch had some pretty good stuff that he wants to grill her about–a lot having to do with creative judicial thinking.

I’m sure that she’ll past, but I surely hope they check her oil before doing so.

BuckeyeSam on May 26, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I had some under cooked Chicken yesterday, today has been nothing but room clearing Schumers that actually bring tears to your eyes. Yo Chuck, look up DMFD over at Urban Dictonary, I thought I saw your picture?

dmann on May 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Here’s a thought. Each member of the judiciary committee should take turns repeating the questions/invectives that were hurled at Sessions, Bork, Thomas, Estrada, and Alito. After three weeks of constant hammering the White House will finally catch a clue and want to make a bargain.
HAH! Like that’s never going to happen.
Within three days of questions Grahamnasty will call Leahy on the side and signal for a vote. ‘Judge’ Sotomayor’s nomination will go to the floor for a overwhelming confirmation vote.
You, me, and every other American that believes in the constitution will have our heads handed to us.
Oh btw we’re supposed to smile when we bow that way our masters won’t be quite so offended when they have to remind us dhimmis that we are not allowed to think freely.

Blacksmith8 on May 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM

MaiDee on May 26, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Thanks. Now that we know their plans, we can get to work NOT asking them for money, right?

Blacksmith8 on May 26, 2009 at 9:37 PM

The Shuckster talking moderate on an extremist racist sexist phony pro-abortion Catholic for the SCOTUS.

(yawn)

Sapwolf on May 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Oh and one more thing.
Hey Chuckie, before you get your pants knotted around your adam’s apple, you might want to consider this
Where did the money from IndyMac go, Chuckie?

Never Again!

Blacksmith8 on May 26, 2009 at 9:42 PM

To which the proper answer would be, “Who f*cking cares??” The Limbaugh-as-Satan thing is old as dirt anyway.

Yeah, how’d that work out for us in the last few elections?

It is not about winning.

terryannonline on May 26, 2009 at 8:39 PM

That’s apparently what Dole and McCain thought as well. It IS about winning.

ddrintn on May 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Putz

BrideOfRove on May 26, 2009 at 10:04 PM

She’s divorced and has no children.

newton on May 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Perfect. This must mean that she hates men and is a child abuser.:)

THE CHOSEN ONE on May 26, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Schummer is the most disgusting of all the politicians.

If he moves to my neighborhood, I would move immediately.

I can’t think of a more reprehensible human being.

notagool on May 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Too much of America is pathetic. Democrats can block a qualified hispanic but Republicans do it and it’s automatically racist.

aikidoka on May 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Her writings regarding the 2nd amendment alone should be sufficient rationale to reject her nomination.

I realize that given the Precedent we have, there is no way a constitutional judge will be appointed, so it probably doesn’t matter, we’re screwed regardless of who The One appoints.

AZfederalist on May 26, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Why isn’t standing on principle a good enough reason? I think you’re overstating the effect fighting this particular Hispanic will have on individual Hispanic voters. Tell the truth about her loudly, forcefully and without apology. Let everyone know why she would be bad for the Court. The GOP should stand on Conservative principle on every issue, otherwise there will be even less reason to vote for them. If they just bend over for the left at every turn, how are they an opposition party?

holygoat on May 26, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Listening to this pontificating clown, I am reminded that it was HE who smirked that Democrats should and would use political litmus tests on ALL Bush’s judicial nominees. And defeat any nominee that was a “conservative.”

And then he DARES to lecture the Republicans on what they should stand for.

I say, give Obama, the Democrats, and this smirking clown an “in your face” push back on Sotomayor. I say, play that video over and over again, Republicans, on the Senate floor. I say, question each and ever decision she’s made as an appellate judge in her hearings. I say, forget the speechifying, and start digging into her past, her philosophy, and her judicial temperament. And if not qualified, filibuster, vote-no, and if she’s approved anyway, make the party line vote a major campaign issue.

georgej on May 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM

From’s “grand strategy” is to let her get seated on the court, because she’s such an abrasive personality that Kennedy will begin to oppose her just because he despises here and toss more 5-4 majorities our way.

What a CROCK!

We are supposed to RISK our Republic on an avowed “policy making” jurist (who believes that is where policy SHOULD be made, and not in Congress whom the people vote for), in the hope that the law clerks and Kennedy will behave like middle-school children and no include her in their clique?

From’s idea is very stupid!

georgej on May 27, 2009 at 4:28 AM

Conservatives to the GOP…fail to oppose this left-wing radical at your peril.

orlandocajun on May 27, 2009 at 7:20 AM

This vote will be an opportunity to see, once and for all, who are the gutless Republicans who must be defeated in their next primary race. We may already know who most of them are, but this should cement the list.

SKYFOX on May 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Yes, Schumer is nasty, and yes, I wish we weren’t faced with appointment of a Supreme Court justice who will likely cement liberal court rulings. However, as some Dems acknowledged with GWB’s appointments of Roberts and Alito, this is what happens when you don’t win elections. It’s especially true today, when Dems control both houses of Congress with significant majorities.

My unsolicited advice to Republicans on Sotomayor: Do not make a big fuss unless something truly, objectively horrible is revealed about this nomination — a possibility that seems quite remote given Sotomayor’s life in the public eye for many years. And do not try to create something out of nothing or next to nothing. Her statement, in her 2001 speech, about the wisdom of Latinas and obtuseness of white males is irritating to me, but by itself is hardly a reason to oppose confirmation. Ditto her affirmative action rulings as a circuit judge. We may not agree with those views, but they are not surprising and don’t seem to be at the extreme end of liberalism.

Because of the numbers in the Senate, Republicans cannot win a confirmation battle in this case absent some major, objectively serious, previously unknown problem. If Republicans try to make mountains of molehills, they will (1) fail; (2) look terrible; (3) be complicit in character assassination; (4) weaken their ability to oppose later, more objectively terrible appointments; and (5) generally lose what little credibility they retain. Please, choose your battles wisely, because I fear that there will be more crucial battles ahead.

TodoDerecho on May 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM

This is out of his own mouth:

“And I’d like to interject a note of balance here. There are times when we all get in high dudgeon. We ought to be reasonable about this. I think there are probably very few people in this room or in America who would say that torture should never, ever be used, particularly if thousands of lives are at stake. Take the hypothetical: If we knew that there was a nuclear bomb hidden in an American city and we believed that some kind of torture, fairly severe maybe, would give us a chance of finding that bomb before it went off, my guess is most Americans and most senators, maybe all, would say, Do what you have to do. So it’s easy to sit back in the armchair and say that torture can never be used. But when you’re in the foxhole, it’s a very different deal.”

Sen Chuck Schumer June 8, 2004

A perfect example of how Schumer talks out of both sides of his mouth…..sane one moment, insane the next. He needs to go!

sharinlite on May 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Seems like the demonrats like all totalitarians before them are deathly afraid of people standing up for the truth before they have a sufficient deathgrip on all of us. If we keep waiting for the optimum time to resist it will never come and they’ll just start to fine or throw their opponents in jail. Anyone who doubts that they will eventually use force to silence their critics is naive and an ignoramus as concerns human history and behavior.

cjk on May 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM

God I hope that Dems tire of guys like this and vote them out when their time comes. And I also pray that independents and Republicans have developed good RINO detectors in their brains.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM