Kim tests another nuke

posted at 10:45 am on May 25, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

John Bolton called it earlier this week, and Kim Jong-Il proved him right.  This time, the North Koreans got their money’s worth out of a nuclear test, setting off a device that produced a yield similar to that of the Hiroshima blast in 1945:

North Korea on Monday appeared to have detonated a nuclear device, its second such test in three years.

The U.S. Geological Survey said it detected a magnitude-4.7 earthquake in the region, and South Korea’s Cabinet convened in an emergency session, according to Yonhap, South Korea’s semi-official newswire.

Yonhap also said the North had confirmed the test.

Combined with the previous failure, the North Koreans have enough data to gain important technical improvements in their design.  The Washington Times notes that the first failure practically guaranteed another test, regardless of the state of relations between Pyongyang, Washington, and the rest of the six-party members.  The failure almost certainly threatened the lives of the people in the program, mainly for the embarrassment it showered on Dear Leader.  Now they have proven their design upgrades, which means that Pyongyang can proceed on a path of arming itself — and enriching itself by proliferating the designs and the weapons to others.

How many bombs does Kim still have?  Experts predicted that Kim only had enough plutonium for six to eight weapons before shuttering the Yongbyon reactor that produced it.  After two tests, Kim has to be running low on bombs — or perhaps just plutonium devices.  The six-party talks tried getting Kim to admit to working in parallel on highly-enriched uranium weapons, the same kind of bombs Iran is pursuing.

Barack Obama issued a cautious reaction, one that Kim will find much to his liking:

Today, North Korea said that it has conducted a nuclear test in violation of international law. It appears to also have attempted a short range missile launch. These actions, while not a surprise given its statements and actions to date, are a matter of grave concern to all nations. North Korea’s attempts to develop nuclear weapons, as well as its ballistic missile program, constitute a threat to international peace and security.

By acting in blatant defiance of the United Nations Security Council, North Korea is directly and recklessly challenging the international community. North Korea’s behavior increases tensions and undermines stability in Northeast Asia. Such provocations will only serve to deepen North Korea’s isolation. It will not find international acceptance unless it abandons its pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery.

The danger posed by North Korea’s threatening activities warrants action by the international community. We have been and will continue working with our allies and partners in the Six-Party Talks as well as other members of the U.N. Security Council in the days ahead.

“Warrants action”?  Well, I’d guess that Obama wants another strongly-worded memo from the UN Security Council.  After the last missile launch, China and Russia refused to agree to even that much until a lot of arm-twisting produced … a weakly-worded memo.  We now have had three administrations pursue negotiations through the UN and through regional talks, mostly consisting of showering Kim with money, food, and fuel, and getting almost nothing concrete in return.  Even Yongbyon’s destruction, one of the few tangible results of the diplomacy, is in the process of being reversed.

We’ll see if Obama offers anything more emphatic in dealing with Pyongyang.  Thus far, Kim seems remarkably unimpressed with the new American President, as do the Iranians.  But hey, they’re just tiny countries compared to the old Soviet Union, so they’re not a threat … right?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Got to get our li’l Maverick focused and
in the fight, but all he wants to do is a
righteous spinning look-at-me coffee on
the uniform fly-by over the conning tower

pun intended.

falderal on May 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM

This is nit-picky and slightly off topic I realize…but it simply set my hair on fire. According to the MSM the great one was awakened at 0230 with this news…and presumably went back to sleep. At 1040 or so FNC was showing the beginning of the ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns and I proudly watched the various units line up, in full dress with rifles in the sun. Just as POTUS is expected they cut to the WH where he is just beginning to make his ‘strongly worded statement’. WTF! He’s known about this for hours, had time for a b’fast with Gold Star families, and just NOW has time to address the nation? With all the troops lined up at attention in the heat awaiting him? To me…that was the highest order of total disrespect for our military! No problems if those men have to stand there and wait for him. (MY president would never have disrespected the troops like that.) I spit on this man. Sorry…..now I feel a bit better, but not much. :)

dustoffmom on May 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Well, I agree with them on that much.

Disturb the Universe on May 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM

A dying, pyscopathic dictator – who enjoys starving, toruturing and murdering his own people – gets to play with nuclear weapons before he dies. This is very, very scary for Seoul and Tokyo.

grgeil on May 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM

and Anchorage…

unwashed minion on May 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM

and Anchorage…

unwashed minion on May 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Seattle by 2012. Normally I’d want to see such a place bathed intensely in cleansing gamma rays, but I own property nearby.

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I remember reading posts on another site, which attracts a large number of high school and college age people, right after the election. It was nauseating, really, the stupidity of these young indoctrinated people who believe watching The Daily Show is getting ‘The News’ and think themselves so ‘enlightened’ when they haven’t a clue about the real world.

This one particularly caught my eye and made me want to gouge it out.

“Obama’s coming! SQUEEEEEEE!!! No more War!”

idiot kid on Nov 5, 2008

Ignorance might be bliss, but it is a very dangerous thing.

maybe we could arrange a fly by with O force one, it scared the folks in New York, why not use that in N. Korea…
workingforpigs on May 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I could only wish he was that stupid…
Chaz706 on May 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM

+1000

You made me laugh, even on a day as solemn as this and with news as frightening as we have here. Well done! And thank you.

dustoffmom on May 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Expecting the Commander in Chief to show some respect for the troops in his command is not nit-picky. I loath that man and it pains me to acknowledge that he is, in fact, the CinC. Ugh!!! *spits too*

pannw on May 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Easy there…

foucaultsvac on May 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Easy there…

foucaultsvac on May 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Gamma rays are perfectly natural. What’s your objection?

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Easy there…

foucaultsvac on May 25, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I see your point now. Too late I suppose

DarkCurrent on May 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Hey, I got an idea………..

………. Let’s elect a totally inexperience community organizer from the corrupt politics of Chicago as the President of the United States right in the middle of a global war against terror!

What could go wrong………?

Seven Percent Solution on May 25, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Obama will sent a “strongly worded” message scolding North Korea as A-jad, knowing a pussy when he sees one, gleefully prepares his “final solution” to the Jewish problem.

MaiDee on May 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Hey I’m impressed with Obama’s ass-kissing of foreign dictators. Ever since this clueless dork took over, North Korea abandoned its nuclear problem and I just know Iran will follow suit.

MaiDee on May 25, 2009 at 6:33 PM

So much for the value of talking

CWforFreedom on May 25, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Iran sends warships into the Gulf of Aden the day before the Nork test.

Nothing to see folks. Just another sleepy morning along Foggy Bottom.

Limerick on May 25, 2009 at 6:43 PM

It looks like Test #2 happened:

(Reuters) – North Korea conducted a second nuclear test on Monday, . . .

To paraphrase my post at Ace:

If North Korea implodes who will take over?

Northern Korea was once part of China (for how long?), and Korea has paid tribute to China. The Koreans have not forgotten They have also not forgotten about Japan.

How likely is China to allow a unified Korea? How likely is South Korea to willingly accept the border of China along the current DMZ?

I wonder if the North Korean political bosses and generals have thought this issue through.

Then there’s the Iranian connection: perhaps the Iranian facilities are not relevant to the current situation in the M.E. and an Iranian bomb will appear much earlier than expected.

VP Joe Biden, best known for dropping out of a Presidential race due to being exposed for plagiarism, certainly called one thing correctly.

I fear that Joe the VP (who has a higher IQ than you) got everything else wrong.

Arbalest on May 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM

With Hillary Clinton’s diplomacy and Tim Geithner’s economics, I get that warm feeling-about a million degrees.

MaiDee on May 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Did anyone notice that w/o teleprompter and with notes, BO could barely articulate his statement today. One would think that in this circumstance even notes would not be required. It is alarming to me that this man can’t speak a coherent sentence without help. I mean this kind of situation should be a no brainer statement; surely he knows what he thinks??

Willie on May 25, 2009 at 7:07 PM

…surely he knows what he thinks??

Willie

Yes, but he needs acceptable language scripted for him by others. What he actually thinks cannot be spoken because he knows it will cause many of us to A: Vomit, and B: Take up arms and show him what the Second Amendment was really written for.

SKYFOX on May 25, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I think we should most likely go with option 2: take up arms and support the 2nd amendment. This guy scares the crap out of me.

Willie on May 25, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Willie on May 25, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Scares me too. I don’t know if he’s malicious (evil) or incompetent or both, but none of these options are good.

Daggett on May 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Quick, BHO, send Hillary over to give Kim Dung Hill one of your famous head-of-state gifts to appease him! Maybe a basketball or something.

jgapinoy on May 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

……Abraham Lincoln

Keemo on May 25, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Willie on May 25, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Willie,

Sometimes it almost seems as if we are listening to a brain that has been partially fried by a bit more cocain than was admitted to in an autobiography. The synaptic connections appear to break down and the short term memory, from day to day comments, seems to be strained. Might just be my imagination.

Yoop on May 25, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Obama’s 2nd response will be:

“If you launch ONE MORE NUKE, I’ll break out the stiff finger wag on you, darn it”. But hey, the world loves us more now, or does it? I’d take Bush’s respect over Obama’s love anyday.

Sadly, Obama truly believes appeasment is the way to go.

Next week, Israel and Iran go at it while Obama takes over the candybar industry. Never let a crisis go to waste, people.

dthorny on May 25, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Lets real screw with the worlds head and elect a strong female.

A couple of posters have mentioned missile defense and the GOP. I know of one Governor who whacked O over the head for his cuts to missile defense. Twice.

Can anybody guess who. Hint this governor doesn’t know anything about foreign policy./sarc.

Clyde5445 on May 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Lets real screw with the worlds head and elect a strong female.

Clyde5445 on May 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Umm, that would be the one who has more experience than this buffoon we have in office now?

In Obamaspeak: Umm, that ahh, umm, would be, ahhh, Sarah uhhh, Palin?

I’m pretty sure she would have had a response for Lil’ Kim veryIll better than Obama’s. Hell, I bet Obama wants him in timeout!!!

dthorny on May 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM

She Twittered today and justifiably so, she was really ticked off! Reducing our weapons while others bomb away??? WTF!

I fear for my family. We are at the mercy of _____________.

ProudPalinFan on May 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I have been avoiding the news and my computer like the plague over the past 4 days, as I was away on vacation.

And I come back to this…

Of course, I’m not surprised…

Obama’s plans of “change” seem to be working flawlessly. He wants this. He is on the side of our enemies foreign and domestic. Everything he does feeds into their destructive hands. He wants the enemy to win.

Question is: When the hell will America wake up???

CHENEY FOR PRESIDENT!!! He’s the only one out there that’s speaking out! All while all the “repuke-icans” squabble and bicker over who’s legitimate GOP material.

ErinF on May 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I`ve heard Guam mentioned on Fox as a potential target if NK can get these nukes moving. I assume we`re well fortified there.

ThePrez on May 25, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Grrreatt…Puerto Rico is also US Territory. Thanx for that post, that makes me feel soo much better. More than 4 million ppl in an 100X35 miles, all Americans.

*praying for my WHOLE family there*

ProudPalinFan on May 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM

“Rearm Japan How about rearm the USA?..we have enough smart weapons to last less than a week, a navy only a bit more than half the size Reagan wanted and all services way short of modern aircraft….

JIMV on May 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Mmmhmmkay, I agree totally with your statement, but where’s the darn money gonna come from? Are they gonna come to our houses so they can get their hands on our jewelry?/take that back, don’t wanna give them more innovative ideas/sarc

ProudPalinFan on May 25, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Obama will send vast qantities of white paint to target areas to deflect the blast.

(yes at one point they thought white paint might help., rolls eyes)

sonofdy on May 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Need to clarify my post about Puerto Rico, is merely as a territory of the US, and that it is very unlikely that it could be hit. We share waters with Cuba, that’s about it.

About the white paint, I’d rather fetch some lamb and paint crosses on my doors with blood on the inside and out. Again, why doesn’t anybody from the media interview again the authors of the “Left Behind” series?

ProudPalinFan on May 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Well it’s a good thing they’re just a tiny country and we’re cutting spending on missile defense or I might be concerned……

/s

Yakko77 on May 26, 2009 at 12:09 AM

*~@;({>

Seven Percent Solution on May 26, 2009 at 3:48 AM

In testing their nuclear weapons, North Korea is merely testing our metrosexual president.

carbon_footprint on May 26, 2009 at 6:27 AM

ProudPalinFan on May 25, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Defense is something worth indebting our grandchildren for.
Take it out of Porkulas.

darktood on May 26, 2009 at 6:52 AM

I have a question for us to consider. Now that it is becoming more obvious daily that Obama is reducing the world’s last remaining superpower to something less powerful than a little Podunk place like North Korea, Has managed to totally destroy the world’s largest economy is less than 4 months, and spent everything that five or six generations could possibly afford to pay back, where is this going to leave the next black person who would run for president? Isn’t it likely that the first black president is going to reinforce the idea of a black president is a road to ruin? I’m just wondering how the rational, reasonable, and hardworking segment of the black community feels about the image that Obama is going to leave for their kids to deal with. Will the idea of a black president become a national joke? Maybe international?

MikeA on May 26, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Time once again for my prescription for the Norks:

Drop a crate in a remote but populated area. In the crate, pack food and an explosive. Include instructions on where and when to set off the explosive. Monitor the area via satellite. If the explosion goes off as planned, drop another crate. Lil Kim won’t be setting off any more nukes if he is fighting an insurrection.

Kafir on May 26, 2009 at 7:43 AM

No dud this time. The only dud is in the White House.

MaiDee on May 26, 2009 at 8:40 AM

If one of his auto factories or bank takeover’s were the target, he’d be right in there. If it affected the freebies his voters will be getting, well then they’d be in there too.

He went back to sleep? OMG.

Sure lets legalize ‘lay back, don’t care’ drugs. great.

johnnyU on May 26, 2009 at 8:52 AM

“Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We’re about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America.

Watch. We’re going to have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.

And he’s going to need help . . . to stand with him. Because it’s not going to be apparent initially; it’s not going to be apparent that we’re right.”

leetpriest on May 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Anyone girding yet!!!?

James on May 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Just wondering….has NK declared themselves a nuclear power yet?

Historical ties notwithstanding, China has very little interest in condoning Lil’ Kims fantasies.

The Chinese, while still communist, realize the advantages of a large, vibrant export economy and maintaining the status quo of nuclear threats. They are not stupid. Even the most ardent communist would admit that dealing with South Korea is much more productive than with North Korea.

I think we’ll see China move against NK, first diplomatically. If that doesn’t work, then more aggressively. BTW, China military doctrine does not include terms like “escalation” or “measured response”. They are very pragmmatic.

BobMbx on May 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM

The world doesn’t give NK any reason whatsoever to worry about reprecussions in totally threatening it’s neighbors with the worst possible weapons. Kim knows he can create atomic weapons and set them off anytime he pleases and the WORST that will happen is he gets food shipments and oil. With China being the new world power, the west, and in particular America, can do nothing about this. Sad to say, but we are squatters in a country owned by China at this point and we get to stay in our homes and have private property rights until such a time as China decides to pull the plug.

Accept it folks, we are to blame for allowing our country to be sold off right under our noses. Our production means have been confiscated, outscourced, and leveraged out of existence. Ford is the only privately owned auto manufacturer left, steel production is gone, and independent farming is a thing of the past. We are no longer a functioning democracy as our leaders have perfected the technique of going around the will of the American people.

Elections are nothing more than an illusion of freedom as Republicans and Democrats morph into a single party of iron rule taking away EVERYTHING our forefathers worked and died to create (including the Constitution).

North Korea, Venezuela, and Iran have formed an alliance while an inexperienced marxist has been “elected” (installed by corrupt media and fascist academia) as president. A man who does not “hold these truths to be self evident”. We must consider that something is going on and that our nation has truly been hijacked and that everything that is transpiring is choreographed for a new (socialist) world order.

With the massive government takeover of industry and finance, watch for the “bailout” of the media to occur and complete control is acheived. I know this sounds like the stuff of conspiracy theorists; but can you honestly dispute the above as true?

Long range missles and powerful nukes in the hands of genocidal dictators getting stroner by the day in conjunction with our national decline is very scary stuff.

Goodeye_Closed on May 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I vote we sit WWIV out. If pressed we use U.S.S. Ohio or other SSBN to make our statement for us, but I am totally against sending troops anywhere unless the area has been sterilized.

GunRunner on May 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Not all that outrageous at all. How many Germans in 1935 dreamed that in less than a decade they would be apologizing for exterminating 6 million people simply because of their religion? And apologizing for causing the deaths of over 60 million others? For one man?

That is insanity. BTW, the Germans worshipped their “elected” messiah too.

BobMbx on May 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM

A Missile Defense Shield would feel nice about now.

Security Mom on May 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Howard Kurtz of Reliable Sources doesn’t know who the hell is running North Korea :)

Dr Evil on May 26, 2009 at 12:19 PM

China has very little interest in condoning Lil’ Kims fantasies.

BobMbx on May 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I agree that the Chinese leadership tends to be pragmatic and that they are not stupid, but I don’t think pragmatism will take them along your proposed route.

My guess (and it is only a guess since I have no special insight into the deliberations of the Chinese high command) is that the Chinese are happy to have NK as a bargaining chip. Hence, for as long as they feel they can still dominate NK if necessary they will not apply too much pressure because they can use their influence with NK to bargain with Russia, the USA, South Korea and Japan over other issues that interest them. If they were to put pressure on NK now, they would be wasting that bargaining power.

YiZhangZhe on May 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Love the pic.

It looks like Lil’ Kimmie’s rappin’, and the guy on the right is making “bmmp bah” sounds to accompany him.

mojo on May 26, 2009 at 4:44 PM

A Missile Defense Shield would feel nice about now.

Security Mom on May 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Well Jong Jong is about to croak anyway so why the hell give a damn about him. His people need to be persuaded they’ll be sawdust if he continues this kind of goal. On a shield, well shields are nice, but then the nuke launch site needs to be cleansed afterward, and cleansed with extreme prejudice.

johnnyU on May 26, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Perhaps we could use a leaflet drop.
“IF THIS HAD BEEN A REAL ATTACK YOU WOULD BE DEAD!”

darktood on May 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Super idea, how about Bammy just request time on their many cable news networks? I’m sure the Norks have all sorts of reporters who would love to interview him regarding “hope” and “change”.

It’ll be the highest rated program in North Korea, since the series that taught the Nork people how to make a nutritious meal out of tree bark.

NoDonkey on May 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Its gonna be an interesting next 100 days.

johnnyU on May 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM