Democrat visits Disney World, suddenly decides everyone should have paid vacations

posted at 9:11 pm on May 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

I always suspected this was how they came up with policy. One fun ride on the teacups and they’re ready to lay down a mandate for 300 million people. At least it was somewhere wholesome, though; imagine where Ted Kennedy must have been when he came up with all of his “good ideas.”

Millions of paid employee absences imposed in one fell swoop on business already struggling with the worst economy since the Depression. What could go wrong?

“There’s a reason why Disney World is the happiest place on Earth: The people who go there are on vacation,” said Grayson, a freshman who counts Orlando as part of his home district. “Honestly, as much as I appreciate this job and as much as I enjoy it, the best days of my life are and always have been the days I’m on vacation.”

According to the Center for Economic and Policy Research, 28 million Americans — or about a quarter of the work force — don’t get any paid vacation. The center says that a lack of vacation causes stress and workplace burnout and that those evil twins cost the economy more than $300 billion each year.

One more if-you’re-reading-this-then-you’re-probably-not-on-vacation fact: The United States is dead last among 21 industrial countries when it comes to mandatory R&R.

France currently requires employers to provide 30 days of paid leave…

The Society for Human Resource Management issued a statement Wednesday warning that “a one-size-fits-all, government-imposed mandate is not the answer.”

Because of the 50- and 100-employee thresholds, most small businesses wouldn’t be directly affected by the bill immediately. But the National Small Business Association warned of indirect consequences; companies might artificially hold their hiring at the 50-to-100-employee level to avoid the costs of paid vacation time.

We’re dead last in vacation time yet have the world’s largest GDP by far, and naturally Grayson wants to tinker with that by meddling with the market. I’ll give him this: He’s certainly grasped the basics of Obamanomics.

Update: Ah, now it all makes sense. No wonder Grayson was inspired. Meet “Robobama.”

The nation’s 44th president was in obvious distress. At least it looked like him. But with silicone skin and a tangled nest of wires for veins, this Obama was a 21st-century reproduction.

More specifically, it was an audio-animatronic representation of the president, as imagined by the Walt Disney Company, and assembled with the direct involvement of the White House staff — and of Mr. Obama himself. The president supplied not just his measurements, but he also recorded that speech (which was initially drafted by a Disney writer) — and yet another recitation of the oath of office, this one in Disney high-definition sound.

In that Hollywood building here, the life-size, three-dimensional figure was being put through its final tune-up, its chin rising and hands gesturing in response to technicians, in preparation for shipment to the Hall of Presidents exhibit at Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tearing this nation to shreds

Day by day

blatantblue on May 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Universal swimming lessons

Caper29 on May 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM

perfect summation in the headline, AP. well done.

homesickamerican on May 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Here’s the definition of POLITICIANS BEING OUT OF TOUCH!!

Great Reason For Tern Limits!! I guess the rest of us should ” EAT CAKE ” as the former French Aristocrats used to say..

Delta Wild Man on May 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Democrats rushing to turn America into France.

William Amos on May 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

If there was ever a true, honest to goodness MICKEY MOUSE idea, this assclown Grayson has come up with it!

pilamaye on May 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

You know, AP, there is more to life than work and the pursuit of wealth.

A few more days of vacation once in a while would do us all some good.

trailboss on May 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

The “20,000 leagues under the sea” ride.

The “Mr. Toads wild ride” ride.

Weight of Glory on May 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM

It is painfully obvious none of the Democrats in power have ever had to meet a payroll, paid taxes, provided health care, or even held a job in the private sector………

………. may the law of unintended consequences come back to bite them in the a#s!

Seven Percent Solution on May 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM

eh… how about two weeks paid nat’l guard/emergency response training a year?

abobo on May 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I want a unicorn. The government clearly exists to give me everything I want. So, I want a unicorn, and a pony, and a plastic rocket.

TheQuestion on May 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM

It’s the Big Rock Candy Mountain…

At least they are just destroying jobs and businesses with this idea…most of their other legislation does that as well, but also manages to waste trillions of future tax dollars in the bargain.

AUINSC on May 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

30 days paid leave….?
I’d settle for a three day weekend.
(sigh)

NeoKong on May 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Universal IFR training…

Caper29 on May 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Just wait by the end of the year the unemployment stats will catch up with these nut jobs.

Jamson64 on May 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Many people would rather just have a job. 12.9% unemployment in MI right now.

Ugly on May 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Right. Raise taxes. Increase regulations on business. Mandate healthcare. And now, mandate vacation. Let’s just kill business now.

Blake on May 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Exactly how many of those who don’t get an employer paid vacation are self employed?

CurtZHP on May 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM

I guess that’s the difference between the lazy Europeans and us. I feel bad taking a day off here and there, much less trying to decide how to use 30 days.

StevefromMKE on May 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM

It’s the Big Rock Candy Mountain…
AUINSC on May 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains there’s a land that’s fair and bright
Where the handouts grow on bushes and you sleep out every night
Where the boxcars are all empty and the sun shines every day
On the birds and the bees and the cigarette trees
Where the lemonade springs where the bluebird sings
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains the jails are made of tin
And you can walk right out again as soon as you are in
There ain’t no short handled shovels, no axes saws or picks
I’m a goin to stay where you sleep all day
Where they hung the jerk that invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

You’re on to something there.

Weight of Glory on May 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM

You’ll get nothing – and like it.

Ted Torgerson on May 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Why only one week? When we were kids, we had the whole summer off from school. Why not everyone? Just pass a law that says, no one works during the summer, unless you are in agriculture. Those working in the field of agriculture, get the winter off to go to Florida.

And while we’re at it, include in the bill, a minimum wage of $1000 (USD) and hour, that we we’ll all be rich.

What’s the problem? Just do it…yes we can. Hope.. change..end the failed policies of the past. We are the future.

Skandia Recluse on May 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM

You’d think they could learn from all of France’s failures.

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I’ll bet Pelosi can’t wait to give all her illegal grape pickers a week of paid vacation!

I think they should also be provided a weeks worth of pot for smoking too!

ctmom on May 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

A few more days of vacation once in a while would do us all some good.

And the beauty of this country is that every person of working age has the freedom to seek a job that provides vacation time.

All government-mandated vacation will result in is more permanent vacations. As in layoffs.

TheMightyMonarch on May 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

eh… how about two weeks paid nat’l guard/emergency response training a year?

abobo on May 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Maybe the members of congress will sign up. Nah.

Johan Klaus on May 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Due to the economy I’ve had an unwanted 6 month vacation. All I want to do is work.

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Most companies that hire over 100 people already have vacation, sick days, etc…
Now low wage people will have a harder time getting a raise.
8 bucks an hour is gross – $320 per 40 hour week. Net is about $260 –
So they get the week off and do what with $260 ?? – If they have a family forget it. I think most lower wage people would rather the employer have more money to give people raises. Just another hidden tax idea by the dumbocrats.

How many more stupid ideas will they rollout this week and next to cover the CAP & TRADE debate?

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I LOVE THE DARK QUEEN…

she’s got that ‘I want to hurt you’ look…

right4life on May 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM

People……….

……….. this is Obamaland. When they say “paid vacation”,

they mean, “ Government Paid Vacation!”……………

Seven Percent Solution on May 21, 2009 at 9:31 PM

As long as they put an educational roller coaster in at Disney, I don’t see the harm… It would have to be called the Obama’s Economy Roller-Coaster.

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Believe me, this will somehow create jobs… ///s

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM

CurtZHP on May 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM

And get no vacation at all.

Johan Klaus on May 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM

You know, AP, there is more to life than work and the pursuit of wealth.

A few more days of vacation once in a while would do us all some good.

trailboss on May 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Tell that to someone who has been looking for a job for months & months…
My brother is unemployed and cannot find squat…
He is living on dollars per week….the stimulus is not helping him.
How can he get anything? He cannot get unemployment.
He has diabetes and has gone without medicine. I help when I can but I have a family and he does not. He is months behind in everything.
The next step will be sleeping in the car.

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Believe me, this will somehow create jobs… ///s

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Unfortunately, no sarc tag is needed.

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM

You’d think they could learn from all of France’s failures.

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM

And Kalifornia’s failure,

And New York’s failure,

And Great Britian’s failure,

And______________________

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I’m right there with your brother. I hope he finds something soon.

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Why doesn’t Grayson do us all a favor; Him and his collegues take a permanent vacation!

journeyman on May 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

And Kalifornia’s failure,

And New York’s failure,

And Great Britian’s failure,

And______________________

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Hey, the Donks might not be able to comprehend global economies, but we WILL FORCE them to comprehend how they f*cked up in Cali.

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

As a self-employed person, I would like to see employees get a paid week-long vacation that is forced upon the employers by the Dims, then have them canned as soon as they get home.
This would create a bit of economic reality that the Obama zombies really need to have.

TexasJew on May 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM

He represents Florida, which would greatly benefit from the tourism that would surely spike due to everyone having paid vacations.

Caiwyn on May 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM

The Hall of Presidents was always one of my favorite stops at Disney. Gonna skip it this year. We already have a robotic, non-thinking TOTUS. Why do I want to stand in line to see a copy.

Sugar Land on May 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

You’d think they could learn from all of France’s failures.

The sad thing is that a lot of Democrats think France is a successful model. Everyone gets a crapload of required vacation, 35 hour work week, high minimum wage. Sounds great!

Of course that means your typical business owner is forced to employ people who are underworked, overpaid, and impossible to fire. Unemployment for younger workers has been holding steady in the 20-30% range for over a decade.

And why would they work? It’s possible to live for decades off of unemployment, and it’s capped at over 5000 Euros per month.

TheMightyMonarch on May 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I’m right there with your brother. I hope he finds something soon.

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Thanks, he has some interviews set-up…
And on top of all of this my mother passed away Tuesday.
Pulmonary Fibrosis – she was 69, too old for a lung transplant.
I am sure under Obamacare she would not have lasted as long as she did.

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

30 days paid leave….?
I’d settle for a three day weekend.
(sigh)

NeoKong on May 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Join the Navy, 30 days paid vacation every year, no minimum employment requirements at all.

JeffWeimer on May 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Awesome.

radiofreevillage on May 21, 2009 at 9:48 PM

TheMightyMonarch on May 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Obama America, just say “non!”

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I love it when these clowns come up with these idiot ideas.

They always say we’re behind all these countries in this or that…

When they ACTUALLY mean our government is “behind” their government….

JeffWeimer on May 21, 2009 at 9:51 PM

TexasJew on May 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM

What if the workers does not take a vacation? Can they get an extra paycheck?
Democrumbs and their stupid ideas are ruining America. You did hear about the employer that right after the election, fired all the folks that had Obama bumper stickers on their cars. I think unemployment is about 10% now.

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I’ll pay him to take permanent vacation, if it means we don’t have to see his effing retarded ideas become laws.

BayCon on May 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Just a coincidence that there was a Disney Vacation ad right next to this story on the homepage?

jgapinoy on May 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM

According to MightyMonarch, your brother would be fine…in France.

trailboss on May 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM

….and everyone should take this vacation all in the same week.

Bummer if you want to go out for dinner that week. Or shop in a supermarket. Or drive anywhere. Or stay in a hotel.

cthulhu on May 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I am really sorry to hear about your mother. That breaks my heart.

I’ve had several interviews but there are 1000s of applicants for one job. Plus, at 38 I am considered old for my occupation so I’m having to switch to something else which makes it even more difficult.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM

The voice of Mickey Mouse dies, and all they can do is force employers to give free vacation time? Isn’t anyone sitting shiva for the mouse?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on May 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

At what point do states band together and flat out tell D.C. that they don’t recognize their authority on these idiot matters?

Patrick S on May 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM

On the other hand, the robo-teleprompter looked incredibly lifelike.

jon1979 on May 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

It’s the Big Rock Candy Mountain…
AUINSC on May 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM

***

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains there’s a land that’s fair and bright
Where the handouts grow on bushes and you sleep out every night
Where the boxcars are all empty and the sun shines every day
On the birds and the bees and the cigarette trees
Where the lemonade springs where the bluebird sings
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains the jails are made of tin
And you can walk right out again as soon as you are in
There ain’t no short handled shovels, no axes saws or picks
I’m a goin to stay where you sleep all day
Where they hung the jerk that invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

You’re on to something there.

Weight of Glory on May 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Here’s an old bouncing ball cartoon from the early 60s featuring the song (Yea, I know it’s not Disney animation, but any type of cartoon and the Magic Kingdom go together, especially in this case if it’s a six-minute paean to freeloading..)

jon1979 on May 21, 2009 at 10:18 PM

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I am really sorry to hear about your mother. That breaks my heart.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Thanks, 38 that is young!!
My brother is 48 and is competing with 22-60 year olds!!
He does 3D animation and graphic arts.
It is just an area that has slowed down. No one is doing any work.

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Tearing this nation to shreds

Day by day

blatantblue on May 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Agreed

Zorro on May 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM

any day now, there will be proposed legislation to regulate the following business activities: paperclips, color of pens, type of coffee for coffee machines, mandatory internet surfing time of approved democratic websites and blogs, personal cellphones provided by the employers, mandatory day care centers, free lunches every day and of course a coffee break every 20 minutes. Businesses are so screwed.

kringeesmom on May 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Bolding France was a wonderfully subtle piece of silent eloquence.

Splunge on May 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM

If we’re going to go there, then I’d like the five weeks vacation that Paris has, not the measly one proposed by idiot Democrat.

Illinidiva on May 21, 2009 at 10:47 PM

France currently requires employers to provide 30 days of paid leave…

And that has worked out so well for their economy./s

IrishEyes on May 21, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Upstater85 on May 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM
That coaster will have the highest vertical drop in the world!!! Eat your heart out Goliath!!!

FontanaConservative on May 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I am a business owner. I currently employ 12 people. If I were forced to give each of them 30 days paid leave, that’s 324 days pay that would have to come directly out of my pocket. The only way I could afford to do such a thing would be to raise my prices just enough to cover the extra cost. Either that, or lay off workers.

This is how all businesses react to an increase in the cost of production, whether it be a minimum wage or an increase in the price of fuel or new benefits for workers or higher taxes. They raise their prices accordingly. Ultimately, the consumer pays for the cost increase. Most businesses spend between 60-75% of revenues on labor. After all other costs, they operate on a relatively small profit margin, usually around 5% – sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower. Reality dictates that the only way the workers can have “more” is by increasing revenues, i.e. increasing consumer prices.

Liberals don’t understand this. They base their economic thinking on a cartoonish perception of business in which the greedy capitalists take most of the revenue and cut a thin sliver of the pie for the workers. If only the greedy capitalists would give up more of their profits, the workers could be earning twice as much and more. They have no idea that the workers themselves pay for their own pay rises through higher consumer prices. They don’t care that the poor are affected the most by these price rises. They don’t care about workers at all. All they care about is the delusional idea that they’re “sticking it to the capitalists.”

They’re dangerously stupid.

Sharke on May 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Thanks, 38 that is young!!
My brother is 48 and is competing with 22-60 year olds!!
He does 3D animation and graphic arts.
It is just an area that has slowed down. No one is doing any work.

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Well, I’ve been doing campus recruiting for global consulting firms. They tend to send cute 20 somethings to campus so I guess I’m considered damaged goods. :)

There are two good sites to look for jobs. They pull from company and job posting sites so you don’t have to look a zillion places.

indeed.com
simplyhired.com

Best of luck to him and again, I am so sorry about your mom.

txag92 on May 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM

They’re dangerously stupid.

Oh sweet irony! Excuse my atrocious math above. I guess 30 x 12 isn’t 324 after all.

*shudder*

Sharke on May 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM

So a dizzy ‘crat gets an Disneygasm and suddenly wants to make law? He should stick to spanking the monkey and leave the mouse alone. Cheeeez…

RandyChandler on May 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Robobama…
Acorn workers had enough Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck voters they could make an “I’m going to Disney World” commercial.

Fires1 on May 21, 2009 at 10:54 PM

From the original article…

I wonder how many of the 28 million are part-timers or high school or college kids looking for after-school/summer work?

Rusty Shackleford on May 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM

…its next major policy speech.

ddrintn on May 21, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Alan Grayson.

Any questions?

warbaby on May 21, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Also, in re The Big Rock Candy Mountain, here’s a slant on this that may be new to you.

warbaby on May 22, 2009 at 12:03 AM

as my wonderful European counterparts have always puzzled.
Why is it that Europeans work to live and American live to work?

Answer?
Because we are different and exceptional. That is what makes the producers of the USA different than any workforce ever.

we rock that’s why.

seesalrun on May 22, 2009 at 12:04 AM

That’s too bad. The only other time I’ve seen Grayson, he was doing a fine job of skewering the Inspector General for the Federal Reserve. I didn’t realize he was a typical leftist (socialist, statist, I can’t keep track). You know what would be good, other than vacations? Ice cream. Everybody likes ice cream. Maybe there should be a Federal mandate for ice cream at work. What lunatics.

melchitt on May 22, 2009 at 12:59 AM

I think we should follow France’s lead on this one. After all, in the last 30 years her economic policies have spurred the creation of almost as many jobs as Wal Mart created in the last 5.

Oh, wait! That’s right! We only follow France when they’re recommending cheese! On everything else, we do the exact opposite.

Wingo on May 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Does the animatronic Obama do that scratch its face with the middle finger thing that the real one likes to do?

Kensington on May 22, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Any bets on if they included school teachers in this statistic?

Glenn Jericho on May 22, 2009 at 5:20 AM

I visited Disney World this past weekend. The Hall of Presidents in the Magic Kingdom’s Liberty Square was closed to the public for renovation.

Now I know why – the Imagineers must be moving FDR, Lincoln and Kennedy to make room for Obama.

tryptic on May 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM

This is what Democrats do. Here is another example of what a Democrat tried to do a few years ago. It was either here in PA or somewhere else. Some state rep. went to a full service gas station and after she left she felt the full service was slower then she thought it should be. So she introduced a bill to manage the time of what could be legally classified as “Full Service.” It went no where,, but that is how they think.

JellyToast on May 22, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Thanks, he has some interviews set-up…
And on top of all of this my mother passed away Tuesday.
Pulmonary Fibrosis – she was 69, too old for a lung transplant.
I am sure under Obamacare she would not have lasted as long as she did.

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I’m sorry to hear that izone. My mother passed away a year ago. It’s hard.

Ann NY on May 22, 2009 at 7:40 AM

I would like guaranteed vacations, free health care, minimum high wage, low interest loans, not have to pay my mortgage, low or no interest credit cards, not have to pay taxes, sick leave when my spouse is sick…I would like all these things.
Free food, free alcohol, no drug laws, I don’t want to stop anymore at stop signs, no speed limit, no such thing as an “overdrawn account”, free electricity, phones, water, and the cops can’t arrest me because I will never break a law, because if I do it, it isn’t against the law.
I want sex whenever I want it with whomever and whatever, if I want to raise my children…oops, can’t tell my child what to do…but other then that no laws. I want freedom of speech…oops, can’t have that, too many right wing talk show hosts…then I want open campuses…oops, can’t have that, no conservatives can speak on campus…a free press…oops, can’t have that either…I want the political leaders to be held to a higher standard…who is that knocking at my door? Why are they dressed in brown shirts and armed?,,,

right2bright on May 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM

tryptic on May 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM

What do you bet Obama stands to give a speech, but no teleprompter…

right2bright on May 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Great Reason For Tern Limits!!

Delta Wild Man on May 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I object, I should be allowed to own as many birds as I can afford. It’s in the constitution, right?

MarkTheGreat on May 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Life is hard. It’s harder when you’re stupid.

Onus on May 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Ditch the minimum wage and maybe a few employers could afford to give their employees an extra day off. Unemployment rates would drop like Wile E. off a cliff too.

pugwriter on May 22, 2009 at 8:51 AM

….and spa treatments, and manicures, and foot massages, and maid service, and personal chefs, and trainers, and dog walkers, and, and, and, and,
someone else should be required to pay for it or face fines and imprisonment. Just like all government required benefits we are forced to pay for.

roninacreage on May 22, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Um Grayson, Disney already has a Goofey. But you are surely in the running to take his job….

soulsirkus on May 22, 2009 at 9:34 AM

izoneguy on May 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM

My sincere condolences to you about your mother.
My mother has multiple sclerosis & her dementia is pretty bad-I feel like I lost her years ago. The limbo she lives in is so hard for me to watch-but when it does happen, I know I will be devastated.
Prayers to you & yours.

Badger40 on May 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Wow! That’s a GREAT idea! I’m sure all the small businesses out there who are struggling to make it with their present work force would just love to lose more of their people on government mandated vacations.

In my line of work, the gov already gives me mandatory vacations – the last one was a year in Afghanistan.

Hope and change, Baby!

And I don’t want a unicorn. You can’t make me accept a unicorn. I will fight to prevent your unicornism! (They poop gumdrops that draw ants and rabbits. My lawn will be a mess.)

keyboarddude on May 22, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Caiwyn on May 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Not just “Florida,” this guy specifically represents the district that has the Disney properties. So while the idea is particularly moronic he is, technically, looking out for his constituents.

Sharke on May 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Most Congresscritters have never worked a single day in their lives, even in a “brain-sweat” position. Their every want is paid for by the taxpayers – which since they didn’t have to put out any effort for it and don’t understand basic economics, they see as “Oh boy, more magical money from the backyard cash-tree! Hooray!” So of course they don’t understand that their decisions have adverse effects out here in the real world where their pay is actually created from scratch. The disconnect between their income and the effort needed to make it in the first place is the best argument for low term limits I’ve ever seen.

Blacksmith on May 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM

We’re dead last in vacation time yet have the world’s largest GDP by far

I hope that was presented as sarcasm, because I think even the dullest knife in the drawer would recognize the connection between a hard-working populace and their resulting affluence.

commenter on May 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM

One place where the bill wouldn’t have much of an effect: Capitol Hill.

Congressional staffers already get paid vacation, even if they don’t actually have time to take it. And members can take time off during recesses — as they will next week — albeit not as much as they once did

Oh my they work so hard and will only get all of August off this year. Maybe we should give them 8 months off and save the country billions in GDB while we are at it.

cobrakai99 on May 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM

And all democrats should have permanent ones!

TrickyDick on May 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Since Disney is owned by GE and GE is a big Dem supporter…open the park for free!

will sass u on May 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM

God, dont let him go to San Francisco!

pgrossjr on May 22, 2009 at 11:19 PM