Video: What Charlie Crist Is Up Against

posted at 12:31 pm on May 20, 2009 by The Other McCain

If you want to know why the NRSC’s endorsement of Charlie Crist in the Florida Senate race was such a stupid move, watch Marco Rubio‘s farewell speech to the Florida House of Representatives:

Everybody who’s watched the video is asking the same question: Why in the world would John Cornyn and the NRSC want to back Charlie Crist against this guy?

Carol of No Sheeples Here posted that video at Not One Red Cent the other day, and then Pat at So It Goes In Shreveport posted it. And then it was seen by Moe Lane of Red State:

I’ve been personally staying out of the entire Crist/Rubio NRSC endorsement brouhaha, mostly because we’re going to have Senatorial candidates that are going to need the NRSC’s help — but I do have to ask: does Charlie have anything that can beat that?

Seriously. Does Crist play at that level?

It’s that good, and Rubio’s not speaking from a Teleprompter, either. He rips the hide off the ball and puts it in the parking lot.

Even though some of the rhetorical content isn’t my cup of tea (I got a bellyful of Michael Gerson-style ‘Let’s Save The World’ treacle during the past eight years) Rubio’s patriotic passion makes it work. And when he says, “God is real,” well . . .

Update (AP): This sounds like a job for pessimism pundit! Crist leads Rubio by fully 35 points in the first poll taken, thanks mainly to Rubio’s lack of name recognition. That’ll change, of course, as the campaign wears on, but with first the NRSC and now McCain lining up behind Crist, this is a tall mountain for Rubio to climb. Still a good idea to run, though: The higher his profile gets, the better positioned he is to challenge Bill Nelson for Florida’s other seat when it comes up in 2012.

If you missed it in Headlines, read the open letter to the NRSC signed by several prominent righty bloggers (including our own Ed Morrissey) urging Cornyn and company to mind their own business when it comes to primaries.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I agree with the Huckabee Aversion; I still more-or-less believe that without the Adventures of Huckabee in 2008, Romney would be POTUS

Janos Hunyadi on May 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Wow, the persistence of this narrative is uncanny. Romney lost it for himself, how about that? Or without Romney, Huckabee might have been president.

Anyway, would it kill you all to know that Rubio endorsed Huck in the primary?

bcm4134 on May 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Sure …. why would we want a young, smart, energetic, fresh, passionate, articulate and charismatic person in there. Surely a new younger generation would feel they have more in common with Mr. Crist.

…. well there you go. Good job GOP leadership, you’ve done such a fine job in the past few years, certainly NEW blood is beyond the pale.

seymour on May 20, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Pretty ignorant statement, that. You might want to do some research about protection of innocent life versus punishment for criminal life.

Vashta.Nerada on May 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Uh, I suggest you watch the video.

I’m pro-abortion and anti-death penalty, so don’t waste your time with me. I understand how you can be both pro-life and pro-death penalty. I happen to think death is too good for some killers, especially those who are religious and think they’re going to their God. I’d much rather see them rot in a prison cell for life than die with the “comfort” of Jesus or Allah welcoming them to paradise.

Your guy said that Gods loves everyone. I’m surprised no true Christian hasn’t come forward to say that He only loves those who worship His son.

You know, that guy who goes by the name of Jesus something.

Jaynie59 on May 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM

You know, that guy who goes by the name of Jesus something.

Jaynie59 on May 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM

EVERY person is a potential believer but whether or not they make the commitment, He never stops loving them. You are terribly misinformed. I’ll trade the loss of the death penalty for the no abortion anytime. But why you can’t differentiate between an innocent and a criminal is mystifying.

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM

You know, that guy who goes by the name of Jesus something.

Jaynie59 on May 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM

You are one very confused individual.

Vashta.Nerada on May 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Every time I hear Rubio speak I have the urge to donate. Just did at marcorubio.com No party donations from us, we’re going to pick and choose individual candidates across the country to support.

Let’s pray that Rubio and others like him become our new leadership.

obladioblada on May 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I did not know who he was at first, but I have heard several speeches by him in the past couple weeks and have researched his political background… he’s got my endorsement.

Daemonocracy on May 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Oh My Gosh! I never heard of him either until I heard he was running against Crist and so, I knew I was going to vote for him. Now! I’m proud to say that I can vote for this man.

jatfla on May 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM

He demonstrates the knowledge and difference seen between the Earthly laws of man and those of Nature and Nature’s God. It is too bad that many try to mix up the waters on that, but he is clear on his views.

Even if I disagree with the views, he uses reason and looks to be reasonable, which is far, far more than I have seen elsewhere in the Republican party where the aim is to be ‘a mover and a shaker’ and let the use of reason go by the wayside to ‘get things done’. I will be interested to know more about him as time goes on.

ajacksonian on May 20, 2009 at 7:54 PM

A true Christian wouldn’t say that. Your statement suggests to me that you possess a profound lack of understanding of the Christian faith.

This Rubio kid said it perfectly when he said that God has never met someone He didn’t love. Because of that love we’re able to break free of what separates us from God.

TheMightyMonarch on May 20, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Who does this guy think he is?! He’s a young whipper-snapper is what I thinks. Standing up and talking like that! I mean what the hell is he doing to our good ole established Republican name? He needs to get himself straightened out. A good talk’n too from one of the good ole boys in the GOP should do it. We can’t have him spreading this kinda talk. People much actually start believing it and then all hell will break lose in this party. He’s a Rabel Rouser I TELL YA! (swings walking cane in air angrily).
Settle down John and just keep him from your daughter…

MichiganMatt on May 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Bring Rubio ON!

sybilll on May 20, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Rubio guy is good.

Toss out Crist. Toss out McLame. Toss out Grahamnesty. Toss out Collins. Toss out Snowe.

Sphincter was a great start, but only a start.

McLame is a top priority to boot out with Obama/Dhimmicrat amnesty rearing its ugly head again.

ex-Democrat on May 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I would fully expect Crist to come out ahead of Rubio by at least 10 points. Not that Rubio is a bad guy, it’s just that Crist will be more apt to get things done, and be a power player in Washington.

Are you related to Crist? He is a disaster. What’s he going to do in DC? Be another McLame??

Scr*w Crist … he’s the dipsh!t that helped give us McLame for the Repube prez nominee.

NO MORE RINOs!

ex-Democrat on May 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Rubio’s website:

donate early and often!

Bring down Charlie Cyst!

ex-Democrat on May 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM

He would have my vote!

sMack on May 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Jim Greer, the lousy chairman of the Florida GOP and pal of Starkist Charlie is trying to invoke “Rule 11″ which would give all GOP funds to Starkist Charlie only. These GOP elites Stink ON ICE.

Sorry Charlie, this is a grassroots revolution, YOU LOST!

Jayrae on May 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Since Crist is an enviro-fascist wolf in sheep’s clothing, I’m going to vote for Marco Rubio on that basis alone. But after watching his farewell speech? WOW! Grand Slam home run, hole in one on a par 4, a total knockout punch.

The cynics say he’ll lose badly against Crist. Maybe. I say IF he loses, it’ll only be by a squeaker. And best of all, like AllahPundit said, if Rubio loses to Crist, he would be positioned to bludgeon Democrat Bill Nelson in 2012.

CatchAll on May 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Rubio is qualified to take on Charlie Crist.

technopeasant on May 21, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Starting to think that, whoever the RNSC supports, those of us in the party base should just send money to their primary challenger, because it’s quite clear, the honchos just don’t get, or they don’t want to get it, or they get it and it scares the crap out of them.

Ever notice how many RINO Senators are geezers, by the way?

Time for some new blood.

SuperCool on May 21, 2009 at 5:53 AM

Just read in our local paper (Tallahassee Democrat) that Greer has since come out “neutral”. He said he was trying to prevent a divisive & costly primary.

jatfla on May 21, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Hee hee. If you “stand” with Rubio you can send and email from Rubio to your friends. I think Cornyn should be friends of us ALL. Anyone know his email? I was able to add info@nrsc.org to the list.

AnotherOpinion on May 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM