Video: Hopenchange allegory of the day!

posted at 5:12 pm on May 20, 2009 by Allahpundit

No no, not really, or at least surely not intentionally, but an e-mailer had me cracking up this morning at the suggestion. Besides, after all the dopey Obama/Spock analogies lately, he deserves a bit of sci-fi deflation. If you’re my age, the news that they’re bringing back “V” will make your heart leap with joy; I can’t believe there was a kid who watched it who didn’t love it, but doubtless I’ll be corrected about that at length in the comments. Never mind that, though. Follow the plot arc here: A savior with seemingly supernatural powers comes to rescue mankind, and is adoringly embraced by a public desperate for Hope. Not until it’s almost too late do they realize the Change they were promised isn’t quite what the increasingly sinister savior has in mind. (The words “hope” and “change” actually do appear at critical moments here in the trailer.) It’s the most conservative new series on television, right down to the detail about a lapdog media! Or at least, it would be if Hollywood had the stones to criticize The One. Nothing more than a big coincidence, I’m sure — although if the lizard people are shown using this as a gesture of greeting, all bets are off.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

/guy in a White Mask and Cape runs through the thread…

Remember… Remember…. OOOOPPPPSSS… wrong V…

Romeo13 on May 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Heh. I really liked that schlocky old show.
This looks like a good allegory whether the writers and producers intended it to be so or not.

Torch on May 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM

beat me to it, but nonetheless:

Twilight Zone beat them all to it much more succinctly:
TO SERVE MAN: “It’s a COOKBOOK!”

LegendHasIt on May 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Seriously? Even watching this as a kid I thought it was stupid! blue eyes on a lizard? Yet the human kid didn’t have “lizard” eyes?

Worst. Moment. Evah!

catmman on May 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM

OK, OK, you’re right. But remember it was the 80′s. Actually the thing I remember the most was when the “human” child opened up his mouth and had a long forked tongue. I laughed so hard I almost pissed myself…

Agent of the Cross on May 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Too late, the aliens have already been exposed; Lizard Man got at least one vote in Minnesota during the last election.

Bishop on May 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I wonder if Alex Jones of Prison Planet will post this movie on his website as proof Lizard men really do exist!

Liberty or Death on May 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I guess Juliette from Lost really is dead. A shame….
Badger in KC on May 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Actually, Elizabeth Mitchell is still slated to appear in “Lost” next season, though not as regularly as she has the past few. Whether that means Juliet’s dead or not, I don’t know.

The thing I like about this is they seem to be following more-or-less the “Battlestar Galactica” approach: Taking something old and kitchy to the point that it now seems ridiculous, but instead of making a comedy out of it, they’re taking it seriously and retooling it into a straight-shooting drama. I doubt it’ll be as grim as BSG was (at least most of the time), and I’ll be surprised if it’s as good, but I love the cast and, even if the occasional “hope” and “change” verbiage is a happy accident, I’ll definitely be watching.

Another thing I like is that they’re already talking about a definite four-season arc. That’s not to say it couldn’t get cancelled before it’s through, but it can at least be produced and written with the intent to tell a coherent story with a clear beginning, middle, and end (an idea that’s worked brilliantly with the last two seasons of BSG and the past two seasons–and hopefully the upcoming final–of “Lost”).

Apparently, in this version the Visitors are here not to eat us (though maybe they’ll do that on occasion, too) but to steal Earth’s water. So don’t be surprised if there’s something in there for the lefties, too (not that it’s necessarily partisan to think it would be bad to lose our water…).

Blacklake on May 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Obama is not Spock.
He’s Luke Skywalker.

strangelet on May 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Obama is Bib Fortuna to Soros’ Jabba the Hutt

LegendHasIt on May 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Don’t get your hopes up too high, folks. You just know the Visitors are going to be an allegory for the Bush Administration or capitalism or something.

Damian P. on May 20, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Exactly. Why are you all so hyped about this? You’re all going to be pissed when this thing inevitably turns hard left on you.

Until a hardcore political conservative with billions of dollars has the balls to put his own money up to start his own end-to-end entertainment corporation, there is no piece of filmed entertainment funded anddistributed by a major studio without some Republican/Bush/War or Terror bashing.

This V remake will be no different.

ScottMcC on May 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I have always been sure that if you cut Obama, he would have green skin underneath. Where are the brave skeptical Reporters today?

Art paralleling Life.

GunRunner on May 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Is this already scheduled? When can we expect to see it?…
dustoffmom on May 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I believe it’s currently scheduled as an ABC mid-season debut, with a buy-in for 13-22 first season episodes. So that would usually mean it’ll start to air in January 2010, unless something else on the fall schedule bombs so badly that they want to (and can) move up the initial air date as a replacement.

Blacklake on May 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

We’re not going to get off that easily.

Kensington on May 20, 2009 at 5:35 PM

That’s for sure!

This looks great!

Aggie85 on May 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is very like NOW, and how “Devotion” and the change items and the “V” could be an big O.

Just a thought…. very odd.

upinak on May 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Inara Serra, whoring for the aliens now! Sweet.

29Victor on May 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Mal would like a word with you, and he’s bringing Jayne.

Oldnuke on May 20, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I brought up V when the Lizard People voting in Minnesota showed up …..

Dr Evil on May 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Uhhh..how did this get through?

StevefromMKE on May 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM

And instead of some jug-eared, grinning, Skinny, they have hot chicks. Works for me.

Jaibones on May 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Stop the presses, people!

Were those priests attempting to proselytize the aliens? Someone get NPR and the ACLU on the phone stat–tell them it’s an emergency…

cackcon on May 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Torch on May 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM

beat me to it, but nonetheless:

Twilight Zone beat them all to it much more succinctly:
TO SERVE MAN: “It’s a COOKBOOK!”

LegendHasIt on May 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

First thing I thought of, too. :-)

Laura on May 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Seems awfully damn close to the Ori in Stargate SG!.

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM

That was awesome Allah, thanks for posting. I had heard this series was being revived. I am psyched esp after seeing the all star cast, I hope this show sticks.

BTW, is Kenneth Johnson involved in this series? I know he created the original one and I remember reading or seeing an interview where I thought he said he was going to be involved again. Can anyone confirm or deny?

davek70 on May 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Stranglet?

bluelightbrigade on May 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Rather like the Twilght Zone’s “To serve mankind” too.

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Torch on May 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM

beat me to it, but nonetheless:

Twilight Zone beat them all to it much more succinctly:
TO SERVE MAN: “It’s a COOKBOOK!”

LegendHasIt on May 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

First thing I thought of, too. :-)

Laura on May 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Got to get up early to beat you folks.

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Stranglet?

bluelightbrigade on May 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I.e. now you know what a troll looks like.

bluelightbrigade on May 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Obama also bears a certain resemblance to Anthony Fremont in the Twilight Zone episode “It’s a Good Life”, like the way he banished the GM CEO and Chrysler bondholders to the “corn field”.

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 6:56 PM

I wonder if they will get Obama to play the role that was originally played by, I believe it was, Robert Englund (of Nightmare on Elmstreet fame)…Just! I’m beginning to believe they share about the same mental acuity.

BadMojo on May 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I’m not buying it. It’ll turn out that the lizard aliens really are messengers of hope and change and that it is only the bitter clingers of guns and religion that are unable to put aside their xenophobia and accept change. The entire series will be about breaking the resistance.

rw on May 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Obama is not Spock.
He’s Luke Skywalker Two-Face in Batman.

strangelet on May 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 6:59 PM

The entire series will be about breaking the resistance.

rw on May 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM

we called those “training films” in the army…wonder what the Ogabe Youth Corps will call them.

sven10077 on May 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Oops, the characters name was Willie, not Just…for some reason the “Help me I’m just” scene sticks in my mind.

BadMojo on May 20, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I thought that V was an ’80s left wing miniseries where they alluded to conservatives being Nazis. Am I thinking of some other show?

Personally, I would be onboard with the visitors if they were hot like the sky lady with the short hair. But when I saw that they are really gooey aliens underneath, I lost my hard on for change.

keep the change on May 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM

If this is to come out in soon…I’m sure it’s planned in order to make it easier to re-introduce our dear leader in his true form.

So are all the lefties lizards?

This also explains Nancy Pelosi’s skin issues. She’s probably had to make several trips back to the mothership to hide her inner lizard.

katy on May 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM

He’s Luke Skywalker.

strangelet on May 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Would Luke Skywalker do this?

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Okay, so these guys have several huge, futuristic space ships that have the technology to hover over the Earth, but the only way they can destroy the population is through some complex “mind game” population manipulation??

They don’t have the technology to just wipe out the population with a whhoossh?!?! Cheese and crackers! But on the positive side, it looks like Juliet finally got off that island.

gregbert on May 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Yeah, it’s called “Every Show Now On Network TV”.

AaronGuzman on May 20, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Jaibones on May 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM

In the original “V,” the hot chicks also ate hamsters for appetizers. While they were waiting for the main course to be suckered by Hope and Change.

Wethal on May 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Wethal on May 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Diana looked interesting at feeding time….

sven10077 on May 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Twilight Zone beat them all to it much more succinctly:
TO SERVE MAN: “It’s a COOKBOOK!”

LegendHasIt on May 20, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Actually C.S. Lewis had this idea in his book “The Silver Chair” but he may have even stolen the idea from someone else.

shick on May 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM

keep the change on May 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I recall the people vilified by the Visitors were the Earth scientists (who were perhasp skeptical of the Visitors’ grand promises). Scientists ended up in some kind of camp like the Jews in WWII.

Wethal on May 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM

This is great. I loved original “V” so much that I bought it on DVD.
If only they could have made the alien leader a skinny black guy with a booming voice who swivels his head back and forth whenever he speaks. But I guess they couldn’t have gone that far in their obvious attempt to mimic Obama and his worshiping Obamatons.
I have a really great idea for someone who is savvy with video manipulation. “Change” the scene in the trailer where the bottom of the mother ship broadcasts video of the alien leader, into a scene with Obama saying something stupid like “we are the ones we’ve been waiting for”, and toss in a few of his “uh, uh, uhs”.

OxyCon on May 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I don’t know how to do links… but I think the alien in Monsters vs. Alien looked like Obama! I wondered when we saw it if it was intentional. I wonder if the thought control is so strong in Hollywood that this is the only opposition that is allowed.

Anyway that link above is a picture of the Alien.

petunia on May 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Seems awfully damn close to the Ori in Stargate SG!.

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM

…and isn’t that the same babe who played the Ori leader?

cranbone on May 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM

For those of you who like science fiction check out this site. Can’t watch episodes of “V” yet but his link says it’s coming.

Oldnuke on May 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM

shick on May 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Damon Knight wrote the short story To Serve Man. It was first published, I believe, in 1951 and was later scripted for the Twilight Zone episode which aired around 1961.

Oldnuke on May 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Remember the old “Twilight Zone” episode titled “Serving Man”?

Bwahahahahahaaa!!!

csdeven on May 20, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Oldnuke on May 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM

hahaha…I’m a day late and a dollar short. Again.

“To Serve Man” was a great episode. “The eye of the beholder”was a cool one also.

csdeven on May 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM

OxyCon on May 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM

LMFAO OMG! I was thinking the same thing… What if, oh What if!

upinak on May 20, 2009 at 8:04 PM

OMG! For a moment there I thought the blonde in the opening was Kirsten Powers. BWAHAHAHA! That’d be awesome.

We can HOPE

scottm on May 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Sweet, its that guy from The 4400!

jimmy the notable on May 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM

gregbert on May 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM

There motivation isn’t to destroy the population.

FloatingRock on May 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM

You know, the new Mike Judge cartoon, The Goode Family, that makes fun of liberals, is also on abc (later this month, I think?). Could they possible have the brains to realize how successful they could become if they positioned themselves as the one station that isn’t constantly sucker-punching conservatives? I already stopped watching anything on nbc as of last year because of snl and tina fey, and let’s not even get started on cbs, so abc could really have a great thing going for it. although, they won’t be invited to all the in parties anymore…

AdrianG on May 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Alright!

I pretend the tv series didn’t exist. Both miniseries were excellent. After the tv series was cancelled, there was talk of bringing it back revamped to the point of having nothing to do with its premise. The best analogy would be the Visitors “win” and the world is like Mad Max. Totally stupid, and I’m glad it didn’t happen.

I wonder if there will be cameos from Marc Singer, Faye Grant, or Jane Badler.

Pretenama

hadsil on May 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM

It’s the Companion What’s-Her-Name from Firefly! Woo-hoo!

She also played Adria in Stargate SG-1.

outOfElement on May 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I am little to young to appreciate V on the original run. Got it in reruns. All I remember from it was looking at my hand and seeing a dark vein between by hand and thumb and seeing green.

On the relationship to Obama, I see it being the highest rating show every to be canceled very soon after it comes on the air.

tjexcite on May 20, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Shoutout to classic V! Whoop whoop.

RE:OT, I thought the same thing when I saw the longer cut with Morena Baccarin and she laid out the terms of the interview. Sadly hi-larious that this clip has hope-n-change fevah!

eforhan on May 20, 2009 at 9:07 PM

This couldn’t be more timely!

It’s not even listed on IMDB.pro. I wanted to know who’s behind it. This is just the kind of cultural push-back conservatives need.

I hated the old series: so obvious, so shlockey. This seems to have the potential to skewer the supine media as well as the Obama machine, and turn the tea bag crowd into heroes.

I am there!

ktrush on May 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM

From the YouTube comments:

Yes V Can!

Now we know who controls BHO’s teleprompters!

jgapinoy on May 20, 2009 at 9:14 PM

P.S. I love all my lost fans out there. I will miss Juliet.

sammypants on May 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Two words friends:

Marc

Singer

ACTING! BRILLIANT!

juanito on May 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM

This trailer is just too good!

DieHippieDie on May 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM

My question: where’s Beastmaster!!?? Seriously, members from the old series’ cast need cameos at least.

Goldenavatar on May 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Hey you know I HATE Wiki… but check this out!

upinak on May 20, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Cobrama?

Jim Treacher on May 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I loved Diana (Jane Badler). Unlike her scheming colleagues, she believed in the direct approach.

Feedie on May 21, 2009 at 12:07 AM

o.k., folks, what are the Las Vegas odds that this show will ever see the light of day? My gut feeling: there is no way the Obama Administration is going to stand by to let this be aired, least not repeatedly. They will find a way to put some heat on ABC to squelch this. They will know all too well the compelling parallels between “V”‘s plot and Obama’s drive to become the world’s “savior”.

This series will wind up just like the post-911 documentary that got canned. And which network caved in to the Clintons’ pressure to bury that documentary? Let’s see, now . . . which network was it . . . what network am I thinking of? Was it, maybe . . . ABC!?!?!?! If you said “yes”, you are right.

OneVision on May 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM

This series is going to speak too many truths. Too darn close for comfort.

Just watch. It’s going to be canceled after three episodes… with a big outrage about it… and then, silence.

newton on May 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM

From MST3K:

“Marc Singer walks out in a loincloth…what do you say?!”

“Uhhh…now I know why the show is called ‘V’!”

TheMightyMonarch on May 21, 2009 at 12:40 AM

OneVision on May 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM

You raise an interesting point, and you may be right, but I suspect that in spite of the MSM’s best efforts, Obama’s approval rating will be in the toilet by the time this show airs. He may still be able to get it canned, especially if he finds an excuse to nationalize the networks by then, but I doubt it.

FloatingRock on May 21, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Damn it…the voices aren’t reverbed like in 83. I call foul!

Black Adam on May 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM

HOLY CRAP!

Charles Johnson and his fan boys/girls got themselves a TV show?

And here I thought they were just a bunch of Godless heathens pretending to be lizards.

SilverStar830 on May 21, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Damn it…the voices aren’t reverbed like in 83. I call foul!
Black Adam on May 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Whoa, I forgot that. The spaceships were better too. ;-)

No clue what people think is cheesy today, but the bad CGI that subs for creativity is lame right now. The old stuff had creative use of sound, music, and visual effects that showed the talent and imagination of Hollywood. Needless to say…

Feedie on May 21, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Looking forward to this but I too am disappointed by the design changes in the motherships and the shuttles- and the voices.

And where are the militaristic uniforms and big shades on the Visitors?

Jay Mac on May 21, 2009 at 3:46 AM

IT’s A COOKBOOK!!!

gridlock2 on May 21, 2009 at 5:38 AM

I wonder if there will be cameos from Marc Singer, Faye Grant, or Jane Badler.

Might be old news, but I found out that Jane Badler has an album out.

eaglescout1998 on May 21, 2009 at 5:52 AM

I wonder if there will be cameos from Marc Singer, Faye Grant, or Jane Badler.

Hell, I want Michael Ironside!

BohicaTwentyTwo on May 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I used to love the guns and ships. I guess that was back when special effects started looking pretty good. I also remember Michael Ironside as well.

I’ll never forget the first part of the mini-series. Donovan snuck on to the mother ship and saw they were lizard men and somehow escape.

I was a huge V fan back in the day, and am still sci-fi nerd.

jeffn21 on May 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Now if they’ll only make a 24-like show based on the Mitch Rapp books…

cranbone on May 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Bingo!

May have to track down the mini series on DVD and watch that prior to this V. See some serious Michael Ironside butt kickin’!

Jim708 on May 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM

The parallels to our current situation are scary but the hope that this will open everyone’s eyes to The One and his agenda is misplaced. Those truly devoted to Him will project evil Conservatives onto the visitors or believe the “heroes” of the show are actually the “villians”. The huddled masses who were stupid enough to vote for The One will see no connection and those that do will be left scratching their heads wondering why no one else sees it. Very frightening trailor, or is it a prophecy?

Hopeless Future on May 21, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Well done ABC; way to spoil half the mystery of the original. Ah well… Not like I didn’t know, but for those who didn’t..

Hopefully they don’t ditch too much of the Nazi symbology (esp using V as a form of protest, not calling themselves ‘V’s, wtf..)

..Oh, and the original title theme – awesomely awesome. And simple. But awesome.

I heard they were bringing Jane Badler back to reprise ‘Diana’ – any truth to that?

Reaps on May 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Thanks Allah. This was the best news all week. I loved the original as a kid too.

I bought the mini series on VHS about 8 years back. It was still great to see. Can’t wait for this show to appear.

And Morena is hot.

Canadian Infidel on May 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM

And Morena is hot.

Canadian Infidel on May 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM

What is this “V” “H” “S” you speak of? I’m unfamiliar with the word. heh.

Yes, Morena IS hot. And in a slightly off-putting….”alien” way. Seriously. She’s beautiful but slightly…not normal looking.

I’ll give V a try when it runs. And, yeah, Obama fans ain’t gonna like where it goes. heh, again.

MT

Mistahtibbs on May 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM

What the ****!?! This, came from hollywood???

THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

MechEng5by5 on May 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Hot V woman: Don’t ask any questions that would put us in a negative light.

Obama: Don’t waste your question.

I wonder is this the same producer that got the 9/11 docudrama past the libs at ABC?

Bill C on May 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Talk about art imitating life….lol.

Planet Boulder on May 21, 2009 at 3:25 PM

The analogy is so good its scary. Time to fight back. Start with the July 4 Tea Party.

Christian Conservative on May 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Rather like the Twilght Zone’s “To serve mankind” too.

MB4 on May 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

LevStrauss on May 21, 2009 at 9:05 PM