Joe Klein: If only Krauthammer could walk, he’d be a better pundit

posted at 11:58 am on May 20, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’m taking a risk paraphrasing it like that because I can’t quite believe he meant it the way it reads, especially given his track record of taking histrionic Sullivan-esque offense at far gentler political attacks. Either Politico’s quoting him egregiously out of context or … they must be quoting him out of context, right?

“He became Ground Zero among the neo-cons, but he’s vastly smarter than most of them,” said Time’s Joe Klein, an admirer and critic who praised Krauthammer’s “writing skills and polemical skills” as “so far above almost anybody writing columns today.”

“There’s something tragic about him too,” Klein said, referring to Krauthammer’s confinement to a wheelchair, the result of a diving accident during his first year of medical school. “His work would have a lot more nuance if he were able to see the situations he’s writing about.”

“My writing speaks for itself,” Krauthammer responded in a curt email.

What could he possibly mean? Because Krauthammer can’t visit Baghdad to tour Camp Victory personally his hawkishness is somehow ill informed? How many leftist bottom-feeders expound authoritatively on foreign policy online every day who have never been within a thousand miles of the Middle East?

He must have meant something else. Or did he? John Podhoretz goes nuclear:

We cannot go back in time and visit the battlefields of the Civil War, or Agincourt, or the Peloponnese—are we therefore incapable of seeing their nuances? FDR was in a wheelchair and did not visit the battlefields of World War II-—were its nuances beyond him as well?

The self-infatuation this quote reveals about Klein’s own celebration of his own passport stamps—the words of a lesser author and thinker about one who so surpasses him in clarity and insight that a wiser Klein would have been better off just admitting that he can’t hold a candle to Krauthammer and let it go at that—is striking enough. But let’s face it. This is simply disgusting, no matter how you slice it. Perhaps men and women in wheelchairs, or who are blind, or deaf, or have other infirmities that make their ability to get on a plane and go to Iraq should simply forbear any sort of opinion about such things. They should, instead, be left to Joe Klein.

If he did mean it the way it sounds, then it looks like a derivative of the chickenhawk smear. He can’t rightly accuse a hawkish pundit who’s handicapped of being too gutless to lace up the boots, so instead he turns it into faux sympathy for how poor Charles can’t help but be blinkered as a prisoner of his condition. Here’s hoping Bret Baier has the stones to bring this up on tonight’s “Special Report” panel and let him respond at length.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

It just goes to show, yet once again, that the Left is a phoney-baloney bunch of hypocrits, allegedly decrying discrimination, and allegedly championing equal rights and opportunities for all, regardless of any condition, including disability . . .

. . . but over and over again shown to be nothing more than amoral opportunists who value nothing but their own power.

My suggestion for Joe Klein: How about some cliff-diving on your next vacation?

seanrobins on May 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Klein should be flogged. That sickens me.

sybilll on May 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I don’t think Joe Klein meant it in the way that AllahPundit thinks he meant it. I think Joe Klein is just going on his usual rant of how he thinks conservatives don’t know what they are talking about.

SoulGlo on May 20, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Mormon Doc,
“I would like to run over Joe Klein in my wheelchair however I wouldn’t want to get his stink on my wheels.”

Sorry, next time I will try and emulate your eloquence.

Brizzy29 on May 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM

This sickens me. I agree that Klien should be flogged. Krauthammer is one of the most brilliant men I can think of and worthy of much more respect than idiotic comments like that.

Star20 on May 20, 2009 at 9:32 PM

And why not? This is the naked snotiness of the left in its full flower. I’ve experienced this patronizing condescension several times in my life over the last 15 years. At least. Translated, it means:

“You seem like an intelligent, thoughtful guy, so there must be something else wrong with you to hold these types of (conservative) views” Like, maybe you went through a tough divorce that embittered you or something. Yeah, that must be it.

And of course in this case, it’s Krauthammer’s confinement to a wheelchair. If only this brilliant guy wasn’t in that wheelchair he could see more of the world, and then he wouldn’t be conservative anymore. Yeah, that must be it.

Snotiness is usually a by-product of insecurity and self-righteousness. Someone like Klein can’t stand the idea of an intelligent person having ideas opposed to his own. Because after all, if someone intelligent disagrees with me-they could be right, and I could be partially wrong. Maybe even totally wrong! Yikes!

No way, we can’t have that. So there must be something with him. Yeah, that must be it.

Surely most on this board have experienced this nasty form of condescension. Being a spectator to it over the years, caused me to re-examine my own lefty views, because sometimes it was the only counter I heard from the left when they debated the right. Hmmm….why so insecure? Maybe there’s a reason…..

Dreadnought on May 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I love Charles K. That’s the only reason that I watch that show. The show was better with Britt Hume, but I only watch when Charles is on there. Shame on people. The liberals claim to be champions for the impaired, but it’s not true. They are mean spirited. Who buys that stupid magazine anymore anyhow?

Charles, if you read this – we love you.

suzyk on May 20, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I love charles to. F**c off Joe Klein

kangjie on May 20, 2009 at 9:46 PM

And if Barack Obama were white, he’d make a good manager of the houseware department at the Honolulu Wal-Mart, because that’s all he would have advance to become.

NoDonkey on May 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Who is Joe Klein??? Serious! This jerk is trying to make a career for himself. Backbench a$$.

JohnD9207 on May 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Wow. I thought the identity politics game of the soci…democrats stopped at gender and race. Apparently one is also tagged by their ability, as well.

I guess Joe Klein should sue under the ADA since he is obviously at a disadvantage here. Charles could literally stomp the crud out of him using his pinky finger.

And Joe Klein matters how, exactly?

tcn on May 20, 2009 at 10:25 PM

And if Beethoven hadn’t been deaf, he would have been a better composer.

Says Joe Klein, the Wendy O. Williams of music.

NoDonkey on May 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Joseph K. f’in meant it, just the way it sounded.

To him it sounds perfectly reasonable, because it’s the only option left after you eliminate malice, tendentiousness and capriciousness from the list of options (as to why an intellect like Krauthammer’s is so utterly, 180-degrees, “wrong” all the time).

Dreadnought on May 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Beautifully said.

RD on May 20, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Dreadnought on May 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM

LOL Dreadnought, you got it! We’re all suffering from false consciousness, as the lefties would have it.

Fortunata on May 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM

And if Stephen Hawking could get out of his wheelchair he could write much better essays on theoretical physics.

What a tool.

itsspideyman on May 20, 2009 at 11:33 PM

What a tool.

itsspideyman on May 20, 2009 at 11:34 PM

You say this Joe Klien fellow is a writer, too? Wish there was a picture. Can’t place him. Must be in a different league.

Star20 on May 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Joe Klein

Skank. Unworthy of South Park.

Feedie on May 21, 2009 at 12:16 AM

NoDonkey
“Wendy O. Williams.”
You do fight dirty.
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 21, 2009 at 1:02 AM

I didn’t mean to go bold on all.
It’s late here in Snit-caGUH.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM

And if Beethoven hadn’t been deaf, he would have been a better composer.

Says Joe Klein, the Wendy O. Williams or milli vanilli of music.

NoDonkey on May 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Johan Klaus on May 21, 2009 at 1:07 AM

We’re all suffering from false consciousness, as the lefties would have it.

Fortunata on May 20, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Yeah, that’s true. Vestigial Marxism.

Or maybe not so vestigial, these days.

Dreadnought on May 21, 2009 at 1:28 AM

RD on May 20, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Very succinct and well said.

Dreadnought on May 21, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Brizzy29 on May 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM

You seem to have a hard time grasping the difference between what I said and what you said. Next time I’ll use smaller words.

Mormon Doc on May 21, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Mormon Doc,
About the size of your mind do you mean?

Brizzy29 on May 21, 2009 at 4:08 AM

And Joe Klein would be a better writer if he weren’t such an idiot.

hepcat on May 21, 2009 at 6:22 AM

If somebody on the right had said this about somebody on the left, they’d be THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD.

hepcat on May 21, 2009 at 6:28 AM

Klein is a lowlife bigot.

dogsoldier on May 21, 2009 at 6:58 AM

There is a positive side to this story. I shall never listen to or read Joe Klein again…EVER! If he comes on some TV program that I happen to be watching (which is a stretch since I watch very few these days) I will turn it off before he utters one word! I shall never read one word of his tripe…EVER AGAIN! He is dead to me! I don’t need the writings and words of morons in my head and am eliminating them from my life as they become apparent. He has been added to my filter…

sabbott on May 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Lefties only like handicapped people if they are helpless and living off the public dole.

Disturb the Universe on May 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Klein demonstrates all too well the lack of empathy (and basic humanity) that seems prevalent among leftist thinkers. Looking at the direction health care is going, and the at the depth of caring from many on the left, we may likely see a time when people such as Krauthammer are removed from the rolls of the living, simply because they cannot experience the ‘quality of life’ that more able-bodied people enjoy. How’s that for nuance?

zoyclem on May 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM

The left, including our despicable sack of shit president, are only concerned with image and not substance.

Their attitude is that ChimpyO can’t fail because of his skin color. The reality of his policies are moot.

That is crazy thinking.

csdeven on May 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Joe Klein reminds me of the “other” use of a rad hose. If properly motivated, one can lay a serious beating with one of those.

Syd B. on May 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Krauthammer went to my alma mater and was the editor of the paper. He rocks.

Klein is a piece of s**t dirt bag.

angryed on May 21, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Just when you think it would be hard to get lower, someone comes along and digs a little deeper into the sewer. Joe Klien opens his mouth and proves beyond doubt that the is a heartless, cruel man bereft of intellect. Ugh.

Orson Buggeigh on May 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM

As one sense fails, the other senses become more acute. The blind rely on touch and hearing, the deaf rely on sight. The immobile rely on their thoughts and develop their mental processes. It is very apparent that Klein has strong legs and the physical ability to use his hands to write or type and therefore does not rely on mental processes.

Pat in NC on May 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Klein’s problem is obvious. When the desire to appear intellectually superior to someone you CLEARLY are not, nuance is the vehicle and in this case, Klein’s nuance was not well thought out. Much like every other facet of liberalism.

44Magnum on May 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM

What a dick

Dudley Smith on May 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Klein can’t fit in Krauthammers shoes

EricPWJohnson on May 21, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I didn’t catch the allusion to his handicap in the statement, but with that said I don’t know what else the guy could have been talking about.

Sign of the Dollar on May 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Sorry, but I wasn’t able to catch Fox News Hour last night. What did the panel have to say about Klein’s incredibly insensitive arrogance?

CatchAll on May 21, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Simply more Tolerance and Diversity from the left.

At some point the average D will figure it out. I find it hard to believe that the American Street can’t see passed their noses, you can’t get something for nothing, and that those that espouse freedom the most, are fucking lying to them.

The left is about control, pure and simple, our new Precedent is openly showing his desire to control every facet of your life, WAKE THE “F” UP!!!!!

M-14 2go on May 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM