Reid: Let’s close Gitmo, but let’s keep detainees out of U.S. prisons too

posted at 8:56 pm on May 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via STACLU, a bold attempt to convince the public that it’s he, not pathetic liar Nancy Pelosi, who’s actually the most embarrassing Democratic leader in Congress. Go for the gold, Dingy:

QUESTION: On funding the closing of Guantanamo Bay.

REID: Well, the decision to close Guantanamo was a right one.

I agree with President Bush. I agree with John McCain . I agree with Barack Obama . Guantanamo makes us less save…

QUESTION: If the United States — if the United States thinks that these people should be held, why shouldn’t they be held in the United States? Why shouldn’t the U.S. take those risks, the attendant risk of holding them, since it’s the one that says they should be held?

REID: I think there’s a general feeling, as I’ve already said, that the American people, and certainly the Senate, overwhelmingly doesn’t want terrorists to be released in the United States. And I think we’re going to stick with that.

QUESTION: What about in imprisoned in the United States?

REID: If you’re…

(CROSSTALK)

REID: If people are — if terrorists are released in the United States, part of what we don’t want is them be put in prisons in the United States. We don’t want them around the United States…

QUESTION: No one’s talking about releasing them. We’re talking about putting them in prison somewhere in the United States.

REID: Can’t put them in prison unless you release them.

QUESTION: Sir, are you going to clarify that a little bit? I mean (OFF-MIKE).

REID: I can’t — I can’t — I can’t make it any more clear than the statement I have given to you. We will never allow terrorists to be released in the United States.

Politico politely describes the notion of closing the prison without anywhere to put the prisoners as “contradictory.” I can imagine three ways that it might not be: (1) Reid thinks Obama’s going to convince foreign countries to take all 240 prisoners off our hands, including Khaled Sheikh Mohammed; (2) Reid actually likes the idea of housing them in prisons on U.S. territory outside the continental United States, just not at Gitmo, in which case it’s full speed ahead on construction in American Samoa or wherever; (3) Reid has no idea from moment to moment what’s coming out his mouth. Read this AP piece and see for yourself what the correct answer is. And to think, this man’s reelection bid is in trouble.

Comments

Reid….I will just ask them to stand someplace….

sven10077 on May 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

by the way Harry Tedster says thanks…

sven10077 on May 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Anybody from Nevada… Why do you keep electing this idiot?

Star20 on May 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Nevada has got to stop electing crazy old senile grannies living in trailers in the desert to the Senate.

AUINSC on May 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM

doofus.

homesickamerican on May 19, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Here’s a plan that fits the Democrats moronic wishes:

Close Gitmo, then open an identical prison right where Gitmo used to be, but this time, since its opened by Obama, it won’t be the Bush-era gulag everyone loves to hate. They can make all sorts of promises about how the inmates will be treated “humanely” and basically just keep all of the current institutions in place.

jimmy the notable on May 19, 2009 at 9:03 PM

(3) Reid has no idea from moment to moment what’s coming out his mouth

I vote for Number Three.

Even though Harry Reid is Number Two.

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM

three! three! number three!

Weight of Glory on May 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Let’s close Gitmo, but let’s keep detainees out of U.S. prisons too……….this, from the man who said we lost the war in Iraq…. and he still has his job. This from a weasel in power. When will America wake up?

afotia on May 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I vote for Number Three.

Even though Harry Reid is Number Two.

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I scrolled past and then it hit me! Very good one. I concur with your vote.

sherry on May 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Release them in Nevada – at least Obama will let them go there. Not businesses or travelers. Turn Gitmo into a resort for us folks. People would love it. Liberals are brain dead and Obama is evil.

suzyk on May 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Maybe he just wants to drop them off on some small island somewhere and let them go all ‘Lord of the flies’ on each other.

BadgerHawk on May 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM

You forgot a fourth option:

(4) Harry Reid actually wants non-uniformed terrorist with a third grade education, caught on the battle field using defenseless women and children as shields, driven by indoctrination in radical Islam by maniacal fascist to kill more Americans as long as Democrats stay in political power.

Seven Percent Solution on May 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM

And this Democratic leader can’t blame it on the botulism.

Jim Treacher on May 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Rebar on May 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM

The sad thing is, that’s probably true: he can’t make it any clearer because he has no clue.

He makes Pelosi sound like a genius.

cruadin on May 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM

ok, I’m for dumping them in the ocean.

Daemonocracy on May 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM

He really does give Slow Joe a run for the money.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM

He will only be in the Senate for another 1 1/2 years. Until then he’ll Majority Clown-Liar; after that he’ll be the disgraced defeated former Majority Clown-Liar

or his liver will fail………..

Janos Hunyadi on May 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Filth.

BHO Jonestown on May 19, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Lets bury them in the Yucca facility they built for nuclear waste. It cost 10 billion, and its not being used because of Reid’s complaints.

rob verdi on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Oh my god…I just noticed your update on the Kennedy cancer story…the source was Reid…and he screwed that too. Jeebus, he’s truly retarded isn’t he?

AUINSC on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

The guy’s a small town mayor – city councilman really – who’s the majority leader of the Senate.

Talk about in over his head.

SteveMG on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

BadgerHawk on May 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM

The Running Man
(except instead of being innocent, they’re all guilty)

I can see it now……….coming soon to MSNBC! Think of the ad revenue!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Anybody from Nevada… Why do you keep electing this idiot?

Star20 on May 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM

He’s got a 50% disapproval rating in the latest NV poll.

jgapinoy on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Seven Percent Solution on May 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Democrats have figured out that if terrorists are brought into the United States proper, then one is released by court order and hurts or kills even one American, Democrats are toast.

Give that much to them. They are at least able to stay focused on their priorities. Fund raising, first. Re-election, second. National security, way down the list.

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Adults are in charge.

Where have I heard that before? Hmmmmmm…….

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Reid: Let’s close Gitmo, but let’s keep detainees out of U.S. prisons too….

……..And in other news, the Tooth Fairy killed seven dentists in Southern California.

Did the congress get hit by idiot gas or what?

HornetSting on May 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 P

I freakin love that movie !!!!!1!!11!!!ty

BadgerHawk on May 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM

He’s got a 50% disapproval rating in the latest NV poll.

jgapinoy on May 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Is there nobody of stature in the State to run against him?

It would be really, really sweet to can Reid in 2010.

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Where do we put them? Do we ask the Klingons to take them to Rura Penthe?

Sekhmet on May 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

BadgerHawk on May 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Get evil corporate sponsorship and we might actually earn back some of the money we’re spending to feed, clothe, and care for these lovely individuals.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Where do we put them? Do we ask the Klingons to take them to Rura Penthe?

Sekhmet on May 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Dilithium mining is so passé. Besides, how would they know which way to pray to Mecca?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Reading that hurt my head.

ctmom on May 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Where are all the trolls?

They’ve gone surprisingly quiet over the past couple of weeks?

Aside from one or two still posting, the rest have disappeared.

Too many flip-flops to try to defend any more?

Conservative_SAHM on May 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Reading that hurt my head.

ctmom on May 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Take some Hopium. You’ll feel better and changed soon.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Why do I think that there should be a Jib/Jab style dueling banjo music video of Pelosi and Reid competing over who’s making the bigger ass of themself?

DrAllecon on May 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

There is a fourth option: They can stay in my shop.

It will be an extremely violent, bloody and SHORT stay for them but a stay nonetheless; I’ll even pick up the tab for the cost of their last three or four hours on earth after I take custody.

Bishop on May 19, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Reid has no idea from moment to moment what’s coming out his mouth

Door number three! It’s behind Door Number Three!

Where do we put them?

Sekhmet on May 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Ann Coulter had a line recently that went like, since liberals love abortions so much, but are so shocked by Gitmo, let’s perform late-terms on terrorists. I thought that was pretty good.

emailnuevo on May 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Where are all the trolls?

Conservative_SAHM on May 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Still a dozen or so around…it’s taking longer for Axelrod to get the day’s talking points out to them though. Harder and harder to spin this crap.

AUINSC on May 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM

DrAllecon on May 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Heh, ditto.

The wheels on the bus go round and round…round and round…

Dunno why that popped into my head.

Onus on May 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Why not just stick them in a compound in Waco, Texas, and tell everyone there is a fundamentalist Christian cult who has guns and might be abusing children…………….?

Seven Percent Solution on May 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM

If it doesn’t have to do with Nevada real estate, Reid has no idea what he’s talking about. The man is a FOOL.

GarandFan on May 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

LOL! I’m trying Chardonnay instead.

ctmom on May 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I wonder how many of his sons have been hired for the “High Speed Rail Project” in the “Stimulus Bill” that will take 150 years to complete at a cost of $750 Trillion dollars………..?

Seven Percent Solution on May 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I think the terrorists should be turned loose in Vegas to punish those folks for sending Reid to Congress. They really should suffer for that.

MikeA on May 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Maybe the Uighurs could be used as an attraction in Vegas to lure back all the people who canceled their conventions recently. Kinda like Medieval Times! Win-win for the Dems!

PattyJ on May 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM

When do we call Reid’s rule failed?

tarpon on May 19, 2009 at 9:44 PM

tarpon on May 19, 2009 at 9:44 PM

When did he become Senate Majority leader again?

AUINSC on May 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM

But somehow late night comics keep up rehashing the same old Bush jokes when there is so much new and fresh material out there!

terryannonline on May 19, 2009 at 9:46 PM

This is as good as when Reid repeatedly told a reporter that paying income taxes is “voluntary.” He also ended that interview with his trademark, “I can’t make it any more clear than I’ve already made it” dismount.

LASue on May 19, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Take some Hopium.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

That is a great description for what the country is going through right now.

Loxodonta on May 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Transfer them to Uncle Joe’s formerly secret bunker.

diogenes on May 19, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Take some Hopium.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I hope you know I’m gonna steal that one.

MikeA on May 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Take some Hopium.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

+100

right4life on May 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM

ok, I’m for dumping them in the ocean.

Daemonocracy on May 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Hey, I like that. Call it a compromise: Just move them *half way* from Gitmo to the US.

ZenDraken on May 19, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Has anybody else seen this?

Joe Caps on May 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Joe Caps on May 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Wrong thread. D’Oh!

Joe Caps on May 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Here’s my solution for the Gitmo detainees.

Make them swim the length of an Olympic pool filled with Nitric Acid. Anyone making it to the end, gets a pass to Disneyland.

By the way, Reid, Pelosi, Biden, Obama, and anyone else who want to close Gitmo have to swim the pool before the detainees.

Problem solved.

realitycheck on May 19, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Hey San Quentin is for sale and that is in Pelosi’s home district. Why not just let Ahhhhnauld sell San Quentin to Harry Reid, declare it NON-US soil and put all the Gitmo prisoners there, WITHOUT improvements? Works for me!!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on May 19, 2009 at 10:27 PM

ok, I’m for dumping them in the ocean.

Daemonocracy on May 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Second that, or the lord of the flies thing/Escape From Las Vegas with a large number of violent fellons. I am sure we can get someone to make odds on the event and show it as the latest reallity show running man style. The winner gets dumped in the middle of the ocean maybe at N00 00 E000 00.

See I included alot of your ideas. How do you like my big tent now.

cobrakai99 on May 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I bet they move them to Diego Garcia.

paulsur on May 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM

The Democrat Socialist Party of Stupid is in real trouble, but don’t tell the MSM!

Pelosi
Biden
Reid

The 3 stooges are lead by a TelePrompter who bows to kings and wants to sit down with Ahmajinejad, but refuses to meet with Nevada Gov Jim Gibbons!

TN Mom on May 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I know, I know. . .

Bury them with nuclear waste in Yucca Mountain.

2klbofun on May 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM

He’ll get re-elected, the Gambinos and ACORN will seal are worth at least 10% of the vote right there.

Reid is an idiot. Pelosi is a complete idiot. Obama is an unqualified idiot.

Outstanding leadership we have. I could whittle three better people of out of a mango.

Thank you, Democrats.

NoDonkey on May 19, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Where do we put them? Do we ask the Klingons to take them to Rura Penthe?

Sekhmet on May 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

The Taliban control part of Pakistan. Should be no problem in getting the Taliban to take them. That would be as logical as the rest of the sh!t this administration is doing.

News2Use on May 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Where is the video of him saying that taxes are voluntary?

WisCon on May 19, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Where do we put them? Do we ask the Klingons to take them to Rura Penthe?

Sekhmet on May 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Why don’t we put them on one of those old shuttles (the ones NASA is planning on retiring), and just launch them into deep space. If they find a planet they can live on, fine; if not, hey, we gave them a chance (which is more than they would have done for us).

AZCoyote on May 20, 2009 at 12:14 AM

REID: Can’t put them in prison unless you release them.

Brilliant! This man’s logic is mind numbing. Like, “Paying taxes is voluntary.” This man’s chese has slid off his cracker.

swede7 on May 20, 2009 at 12:42 AM

I think he really just wants to use them for science experiments or something. Or maybe he is mixing his words so that no matter how he is taken out of context, it appeals to someone. He can have it both ways. He said he favors closing gitmo, which kisses the left cheek, then he says he doesn’t want them in the us which kisses the right cheek.

What you are seeing here is a typical case of “oh crap, I am SO going to lose the next election, I need to appeal to EVERYBODY” syndrome. Having once had the backbone of a sea sponge, he has now degenerated into a puddle of ooze that simply flows this way and that way and sometimes in all directions at the same time.

Reid isn’t long for Congress. And I think the Democrats are going to be surprised at the thrashing they get from the independent vote next year.

crosspatch on May 20, 2009 at 2:40 AM

“Simple solution – summary execution, as the laws of war provide for illegal combatants.”

Rebar on May 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Short of just keeping Gitmo open, above is the only other practical solution I have read or heard!

GFW on May 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Release the detainees to the personal custody of the members of congress who favor closing gitmo.
/sarc

Annar on May 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM

annar: why the sarcasm tag. i think it is a great idea.

kelley in virginia on May 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM

If ever there were two polar opposites from the same religion.
Reid….Romney
That is why Catholics can’t decide whether abortion is okay or not.
And that is why religion should be taken out of politics, the two are exclusive of each other.
One is a nut case…one is solid…

right2bright on May 20, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I will say this to my grave, the SCOTUS wanted these enemy combatants to be given the rights of regular pows, and to have habeus corpus, and the potential to be released into the USA proper, so they should all be shipped to grounds to be constructed on SCOTUS property. That a special court and appellate court be designed to hear any objection from the Supreme Court as to housing these combatants on its grounds (although I couldn’t see how the Court could have objections as the US government owns that property and can mandate its use), but just it case, the legislation would bar appellate review from the Supreme Court since it would be a party in any action against the government.

eaglewingz08 on May 20, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Feed ’em to the sea kittens.

Sea kittens get fed, we get rid of terrorists and we don’t have to spend any more on Gitmo. I call that win-win-win all around.

rbj on May 20, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Let’s just have a commission of Congressional Democrats go to Gitmo and set down for a good dialogue with these ‘Detainees’.

I’m sure they could talk them into seeing the error of their ways and have them sign a pledge not to be a Terrorist anymore. Then we can release them to their destination of choice as we all join hands and sing Kumbaya.

Oh I forgot… We also need to give them money to compensate for their time.

Uniblogger on May 20, 2009 at 8:44 AM

“REID: If people are — if terrorists are released …”

Shame, shame, Harry.
You said terrorists.
Should not the PC liberal term be man-caused-disaster-specialists?

I just love Harry “The War Is Lost” Reid.
:::RETCH:::

VibrioCocci on May 20, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Feed ‘em to the sea kittens.

rbj on May 20, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Aaaaaarrrr! Make’em walk the plank! It’s cost effective and would have a significant deterent effect.

bitsy on May 20, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Reid is a loser!

jukin on May 20, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Maybe one or two of the Left Wing Trolls to HA can explain how does Gitmo make the US less safe?

I don’t get it.

kirkill on May 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Lets detain them in Harry’s house!

ErinF on May 20, 2009 at 10:29 AM

One more time.. this time with FEELING!!!

All 240 detainees at GITMO should BE RELEASED!!

They can be released from 25,000 feet(C-130) in a Sea Bag with some lead weights in the bottom. They’ll have at least a couple minutes to get straight with Allah before splashdown.

Problem solved.

44Magnum on May 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM

How bout we release them into Cuba… save them a flight.

That is if they get through the minefields first.

Chaz706 on May 20, 2009 at 3:28 PM